Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVI

Comments

• Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ....now if they were power....like My dads Town and Country....then i'd open them....but who wants to reach around to do the drivers...and walk around and do the passengers side.....no thanks...If I need that much air....it's Max AC baby!

LOL

I did like the air fow with the rear slider...but in an ext.cab....it would have to be a power slider.....

next one will have after market slider and ASC moonroof....

- Tim

- Tim
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    last Thursday. Not a bad truck with the 4.7, four full doors....the back windows don't leak air either....and its power windows all around LOL!!
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ANyone have those window deflectors that go on the front windows like the ventvisor. Opinons on how you like em. I am realy considering after this morning (every morning) opening my window and getting drenched with water from my roof. Dont worry i know those ext cab ones are ugly im not considering those just the front windows. Please if anyone has em please comment on em thanks

Ill probably go get a pair tomorrow if they have em. Ill post pics after i get em too

Ryan
  • Options
    erikf2erikf2 Member Posts: 100
    One word - Weathertech. Go here www.picturetrail.com/erik2 to see mine. If you take a look at the pictures with the camper, you can see the Weathertech visors, but only if you look REAL hard.

Also, you can cool off your cab in the summer without opening those rear windows!
  • Options
    Very nice looking truck even though its a 2500 hehe. You cn hardly tell you have them on there. Just curious how much were they? I am seeing between $35-$45 for the weathertech

Also your truck is way better than the co workers by far

Nice color combo. There is a reg cab 1500 Z71 with that color combo and i dont like it much maybe its the reg cab with flares but your truck looks very nice what kinda running boards are those? Like tims??

Ryan
  • Options
    Add-ons (so far) are DeeZee Guardian running boards (painted to match), Lund Trident hood deflector, Firestone Industrial Products Ride Rite airbags (different division of the company than the one that makes the tires, I hope), and the Weathertech window deflectors. The Weathertechs were about $40 as I recall, but they were real easy to install, not even any tape. Here in the Seattle area they get used more to keep the cab dry than cool.

The other 2500 the dealer had at the time I bought my truck was Indigo Blue, but I believe it also had BLACK FLARES, which was just too ugly for me! - LOL
  • Options
    on the Yukon topic, subliminal told cwmartin to just trust him and buy the weathertech for his Yukon. I've had 'em almost a year now. Best one you can buy from MacNeil Automotive. And just think you still have the 3M red tape left over from your railcaps if you insist on taping it on the outside of your window....LMAO!!! Go for it, I wouldn't steer ya wrong...

Dean
  • Options
    http://www.macneilauto.com/ChevyCA.htm

odenmeyer

My dealer has ordered the replacement windows. Am on my way to pick truck up and test drive for the clunk in the intermediate shaft. verified with service advisor but I guess he couldn't get it to clunk when driving with the tech. Hopefully I'll have the part number when I return and will post.

Dean
  • Options
    Yea blue with black flares is damn ugly. I regret getting the combo each day haha

Dean im just about out of the 3m tape. Every wk it seems i have to retape the back section where they took it off to do their work. I retaped it saturday and so far it hasnt budged i think its on for good now

Thanks for the link

Ryan
  • Options
    test drive with advisor??? I test drove mine with the service tech. The highest up tech guy dont know what his title is but i skip over all the little BS people and go straight to the top

Ryan
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    I looked at the weathertechs in the catalog, but the GTS units caught my eye. Yes they are large, but cut that wind noise off the OS mirrors and wind buffeting inside the cab when running 60 with the windows down. The right side covers the OS rear view mirror with a tint so the out of adjustment headlights on the vehicle behind you aren't so offensive.
    my .02
    matthew
  • Options
    sfishsfish Member Posts: 27
    Nice airvents. What kind of camper is that? Do you have the 2500? yr 2K or 2001? What is the weight of your camper? Like the color of your truck. All I could find was standard white, not two tone had to take second choice blue with black wheel flares. What do you think of putting ride rites on your truck Any help with cheapest pricing? What do you think about a Bigfoot 8.5 camper wt1650#'s. Could a 1500 do it with ride rite's? Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Nice airvents. What kind of camper is that? Do you have the 2500? yr 2K or 2001? What is the weight of your camper? Like the color of your truck. All I could find was standard white, not two tone had to take second choice blue with black wheel flares. What do you think of putting ride rites on your truck Any help with cheapest pricing? What do you think about a Bigfoot 8.5 camper wt1650#'s. Could a 1500 do it with ride rite's? Thanks for the help
  • Options
    z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    I have heard that the weathertech brand ventvisors could cause a problem with those that have front tinted windows because of the extra pressure that is caused by the visor being put inside of the weatherstripping. Supposedly this extra pressure can cause the tint to sometimes peel back when the window is rolled up. Is there any truth to that?
  • Options
    Anyone know if you can put a 1991 canopy on a 2001. Both are 1500 trucks with 6.5 ft bed.
    sorry about the double entry don't know why it did that.
  • Options
    I have aftermarket tints on my windows and there is no impact on the window tints from the Weathertech. The fit is snug, not tight. German engineering at its finest.
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    no problems with use with window tint, and these window visors have no distortion unlike some other brands.
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    A 1650 lb camper will be well over the GVWR for a 1500. I put a 1200 lb popup on a Silverado with a 2000 lb capacity (1350 lb camper rating). When we added fuel (to the truck), myself, my wife, food, water, clothes, etc. we had used up all of the 2000 lb capacity.

Alot of people overload trucks and use airbags to level the truck and get away with it. I would rather follow the manufacturer's Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings. The GVWR are for a lot more than the capacity of the axles and tires - it means the frame and brakes, etc. are designed for the load. Overload the vehicle and you run the risk of running out of brakes coming down a long hill or mountain.

This subject has been debated over on the Cabover Camper Chat several times. We've had some guys 1000 lbs overweight without problems. I don't think we've ever heard of anyone who got into and accident because of it. But, several of us have fought evil handling, poor braking overloaded vehicles - and we've been very happy after we moved up to a heavier duty truck.

Mike L
  • Options
    87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I like the low profile and the tension fit-no tape. I have them for the roll down windows only, not the rear pop-outs.
  • Options
    My truck is a Y2K 2500 4x4 LT. The camper is a Northern Lite 9.5', 1850 lbs. base dry weight, sticker says 2185 lbs. as configured. The camper dealer gave me a full load of fresh water and propane, and I filled the gas tank shortly before going to a weigh station; total "wet" weight of truck and camper was 8400 lbs. (without me in the truck), so I've got some room under the GVWR to play with. Although the infamous "glove box sticker" only says 2203 lbs. carrying capacity, I'm pretty sure that's assuming five 150 lb. bodies in the cab, so I should be okay. Primary factors in choice of camper were weight, comfort, and no wood framing to be rotted by the damp Northwest weather.

As for the airbags, since I was also getting the in-cab control, I "pulled a Ryan" and had them installed by the local Les Schwab Tires store, which here in the Northwest is about as hard to find as a slug. Firestone and Air Lift seemed pretty comparable, Air Lift maybe being a little cheaper, but it was a matter of what I could get installed locally. Next add-on will be a Hellwig anti-sway bar, and eventually Rancho RS-9000 shocks or their equivalent.

I would be hesitant to put anything but a light pop-up camper on a 1500. Check the "Cabover Camper Chat" topic here in Edmunds, and also go to www.happycampers.net for tons of good info on GVWR, camper weights, air bags, shocks, etc. "Everything you wanted to know", plus stuff you didn't even know you should know!
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Priced out 2500HD LS regular cab 4x4 with Allison, Duramax, just over $35,200...not so bad.

Then priced out a 1500 4x4 regular cab optioned out just like the truck I own, a '99 Silverado....ughh..ickkk....gone up $1500 bucks since I bought mine.

On the Edmunds 2500HD truck report, they stated the Duramax is warranteed out to 100,000 miles, but I found no mention of this on the http://www.carpoint.com website.
  • Options
    swolfe3swolfe3 Member Posts: 17
    Ok. So what is the trick for changing out the fuel filter so as not to spray gasoline everywhere? I know there has to be a power wire to the fuel pump that you disconnect to let the truck run out of fuel in the line and then take it off but I don't know where it may be. Please advise. Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    I don't know, but I think a regulator controls the line pressure by bypassing fuel back to the tank via a return line. If you could actuate the bypass without turning the pump on, you would relieve the pressure. Best I can do. Try Chiltons.
  • Options
    z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for the info on the weathertechs...
  • Options
    I got them window deflectors they look great.

Ryan
  • Options
    mblrdsmblrds Member Posts: 41
    Noticed that you mentioned that you got Guardian Running Boards from DeeZee on your truck. Also saw them on your pics.
    Tell me about them.
    Am thinking of putting some on my truck. How'd they work with the flares? You put them on yourself? Was it difficult?
    Tell me anything you can. The dealers around here don't know crap.

Hey Everybody/Anybody!!!

What do them things in the window of the Ford in Erik's pics make you think of?

M.
  • Options
    WELCOME!!!

Ryan
  • Options
    pjb0422pjb0422 Member Posts: 43
    In case anyone is interested, Consumer Reports has a comparison on SUV tires in their latest issue. The Bridgestone Dueler AT was ranked #1. Check out this link:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/Special/ConsumerInterest/Reports/0011tir0.htm

Phil
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Welcome to the big leauge Quad!

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    Still like to know about that engine warranty. Carpoint says it's 3 yr 36,000. That's no-bono. Been there, done that. I want the 100,000 mile warranty. No glove, No Love.
  • Options
    you on vacation? Never seen so many posts outta ya...in the past couple of days...LOL!!
  • Options
    speedybirdspeedybird Member Posts: 29
    Please let me know if you figure out how to change the fuel filter.

THIS WAS POSTED ON A DIFFERENT FORUM FOR A CORVETTE. I've been trying to figure it out for my vette.

Filter is rather easy to change. It is the gas you get all over ya that makes it bad. The filter is on the passengerside on the outer edge toward the front of the car. There will be a heat shield by the cat. Take that heat shield off and you will see the filter. You do need to use two wrenches. The size of the wrench you put on the filter changes per brand. I remember having to use one size to take the filter off 4 years ago, and a different size to put the new one on. The samething happened this time. The nut that screws into the filter uses a 5/8 opened end wrench. Get some oil dry stuff, and old coffee can. Once the old filter is out put it in the can, and there
    will be gas running out of the fuel lines. Do not freak. It hurts nothing. Just smell bad. There is a braket holding the filter up. Take the bolt out (10mm). Move the bracket so it is off the filter up on the line. Do the braket first, before takign the lines loose. This way you do not have to mess with the braket as the gas comes running out. You will also want to take the fuel lines off slow. This will let any pressure in the system bleed down. Remember these are high pressure systems. As said once the old filter is off put the new filter on and make sure you have it facing the right way. Tighten the nuts, and put the bracket back on. Dry everything real well and turn the key to "on" DO not start the car. Make sure there are no leaks. If that checks out your good. I push the car away from the area I did the change and wait a few mintues. This is to insure no fires. You will want to do this outside.

Additions:
    1. Depressurize the fuel system: Before you begin, remove the 10 amp fuel pump fuse, then start the engine and let it run until it dies (from lack of fuel). Then turn the key and crank the engine several times to ensure the system is fully depressurized.
    2. Proceed to R&R the filter. BTW, you don't need to remove the filter bracket. Instead, the fuel line is held in place by a bracket above the filter which ties the fuel inlet and the return line together. It's a simple task to un-snap the fuel inlet line, then you can manuever the line away from the filter and slide the filter out of the bracket.
    3. Re-install the fuse prior to re-starting the engine.

Sorry for the long post.
    Randy
  • Options
    Thanks for the link and the good info. I went to Carl North a bigfoot dealer before I bought my 2001-1500 and asked if the 1500 was enough to put an 8.5 on and they showed me pictures of the dealers chevy 1500 with an 8.5. They claimed all 2500 with 10 ft or greater are over gvwr. I haven't got a camper yet and it may take several years but thanks for the info.
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    did you notice how your bud, 2000F150fun/f150rules etc. etc. got the boot on Putco? He came back for one post as just4rdTrucks. I don't think Ryan even realized he was responding to old Dan!!

It was unfortunate that Evry1 got the boot!! That was one cool dude. LMAO!!!!
  • Options
    yeah I think it all caught up with him at once. The Germans found that out in World War II. It's difficult to fight two battles on two fronts at once which was what he was trying to do. Damn even the ford owners were getting pissed at him.....go figure...LOL!!
  • Options
    roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    Warranty on the Dmax is 100,000 miles. I forget what the time limitation is, but 6 years sounds about right. I think the first 3/36,000 have a $0 deductible, and after that it is a $100 deductible until the end. Also, I was told the 6/100K only applies to the engine, so the Allison trans is only covered by the 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty. This info was from a fleet manager who had learned it on one of the Pulsat training broadcasts on the DMAX.

As to the fuel filter change, I would not suggest running the pump dry as has been suggested. It is not good for pumps to run dry, period. According to Chilton's removing the gas cap is all that is required on the older TBI engines to depressurize the system. Spill a little gas out of the lines and make sure you don't get it in your eyes or on your skin, no harm no foul. Sure the wear and tear on the pump from running it dry once every 10-15K miles might not be much, but replace one of these in-tank pumps just once, and you'll do anything you can to make the next one last longer.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Kind of strange, but I just read a recent issue of Consumer Reports that rated the BF Goodrich Long Trail TA as the best SUV/Light Truck tire. Personally, I can back up that rating. I put a set on my 2K Sierra and they made a world of difference in the wet and snow. Also helped dry braking, especially in the rear; the anti-lock did not activate as much with the BFG's. Since GM is buying back my truck, I sold the new (1,200 miles) BFG's to my brother. He called Monday morning after his commute in the rain specifically to tell me how much he loved these tires! They should be good for about 50,000 miles and the two times we got significant snow last winter, they really worked well. I wonder if the dealer can trade-out the factory Firestones that I am sure will come on my 2K1 4wd LT with a set of BFG's? Has anyone out there done this? If so, how much difference did you pay?
  • Options
    Would like to see that Allison tranny covered also, though.
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I got a letter yesterday from my dealership saying that a "replacement part" for my 99 Silverado is in.

Problem is, I don't ever remember ordering anything. I haven't been to the dealer in months. Hmmm...
  • Options
    Is it for the recalled seat belt part???

Ryan
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    A while back, you mentioned that you got a magazine that showed a lower bumper valance that was more of an air dam, and it looked cool. Can you shed some light on who makes it and maybe a website showing it, or more details on the magazine?
    thanks,
    matthew
  • Options
    Performance products. It replaces the lower front fascia (where the fog lights are located). Its made by PIAA you can buy PIAA lights to be put into existing holes. Looks very nice. I wouldnt call it an AIR dam but more of fascia ill try and get a link for you

Ryan
  • Options
    PIAA makes the replacement air dam.

www.piaa.com/news.html
  • Options
    THanks

PP doesnt have it online yet they have it in the catolog request one they have a bunch of cool stuff in there

Ryan
  • Options
    richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    Roger350

The warranty period on the Duramax is 5 years 100,000 miles which ever comes first according to the Chevrolet brochure. I would have liked to have more warranty period on the Allison too, but I don't expect that there will be a problem with the tranny as long as we service it and don't over load it.

Richard Mc
  • Options

Note: no space between bed and cab
  • Options
    richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    obyone

Thank you for posting the SS pictures. That is one GREAT looking truck and I bet it will haul [non-permissible content removed] too. I read part of the article on the SS truck earlier, but didn't find any pictures.

Richard Mc
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    How many different sites you gonna' post the same thing? LOL!!!

Can you say, "RICE"?????
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Lookin good ! How much, any more pics ?
This discussion has been closed.