Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where is Honda taking Acura?

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Make that three of us who agree that Acura isn't going in the direction we'd like to see it go.

As others have said, the TL is becoming more Lexus ES-like and less BMW-like, the latest generation TSX has taken a step backward from the previous generation in terms of attributes such as nimbleness, agility and feedback, and the RL is neither well positioned nor well defined in the marketplace.

I must qualify my remarks by saying that my opinions are based on numerous road tests and evaluations that I've read, and that I've not driven the '09 TSX, TL or RL. I would also add that Acuras remain excellent cars and good values, but, then, one can say the same about Lexus and other brands. It's that some, including the three of us, would prefer a more exciting and fun-to-drive orientation, even if it has to come at the expense of fewer comfort and bleeding edge electronic features, to be price competitive.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "What I was trying to say is that Acura needs more models like the TL and less models like the RDX."

Okay, I see what you're saying. I don't disagree. My opinion is that the bread and butter for the brand should have a good blend of comfort, style, luxury, and practicality. I have always appreciated the RDX as a fairly good example of what a good performance-oriented CUV can be. However, in the next sentence, I will bash it for being too performance-oriented and not focusing enough on interior materials, cargo capacity, ride quality, and creature comforts. The TL, MDX, and even the TSX do a much better job of providing a balanced package. We may have some common ground there.

Having written all that, I think Acura does need to offer a few "special" models to provide a halo effect. I envision this MSX being the halo car for the better-balanced MDX.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Having written all that, I think Acura does need to offer a few "special" models to provide a halo effect. I envision this MSX being the halo car for the better-balanced MDX.

I don't disagree.

I also think that Acura do need a halo car but my vision of that is the NSX replacement, or a super coupe like the Aston Martin Vantage-fighter, M6-fighter. How about a drop-top gorgeous like the SL-fighter? Any of those cars will achieve a better "halo" effect than a pefectly pointless Acura X6...
    By the way, I still don't understand why a CL based on the CURRENT 6-speed SH-AWD TL would "postpone" the RWD development. Like I said, the current gen TL will be on the market for at least another 5 years, let me repeat, at least another 5 years. It's not like Acura will give it RWD during the midlife refresh so what's wrong with a TL-based CL with sexier styling and sportier-tuned suspension? Same applies to the TSX too.

I expect we'll see a RWD large car in 2010 or 2011. Then we'll see a RWD coupe based on THAT platform. If Acura were to release an AWD TL-based coupe for 2010 or 2011, dealers would then have two coupes competing at similar price points.

When the CL-S was introduced, Acura fans immediately began begging for a TL with the same hardware. Eventually, Acura delivered and sales of the TL-S dominated those of the CL. This is not a unique situation.

Honda released the Civic Si as a coupe and then had to build a sedan version. As soon as that happened sales of the coupe dropped.

Infiniti has tried to differentiate their G37 coupe with a larger engine not offered in the G35 sedan... only now that's on the horizon, too.

Acura's approach with the most recent TL seems to be skipping the teaser coupe and getting right to the sedan everybody really wants. The TL comes out of the gate with the upgraded engine and SH-AWD drivetrain. The manual tranny is expected next year.

A coupe version of the TSX might be a better option simply because it's less likely to compete in the same price league as the RWD coupe (assuming Acura builds one). I'm less opposed to that idea. But I don't think Acura needs to bolster the bottom end of the line-up. They need better vehicles in the $50-70K range, not the 30-40K department.
    "Any of those cars will achieve a better "halo" effect than a pefectly pointless Acura X6... "

For Acura's cars, yes. For their SUVs, no.
    I don't even know if there's enough room for more than 2 or 3 brands in the top tier of the luxury market. Acura may never make it until Lexus, MB, or BMW falls off the list. So, yeah, Acura will have a tough time getting where they want to go. But I don't think that should stop them from trying.

I don't think building new variants on the base models like the TSX, TL, and RDX is a good move toward that goal. Acura's best product today is the MDX: right product, right price-point, right image. Building on that doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

At the same time, Acura needs to fix the RL (coming). They need a performance halo car (coming). They need a RWD platform (coming). And they also need new drivetrains (coming). So, it looks to me like Acura is making better moves than they have since the brand was introduced.

"But if I have $30 grand to spend on a car in the next couple of years, it won't be on an Acura."

That's sorta the point. No offense intended, but if all you're willing to spend on a car is $30K, the only thing a luxury dealer should be showing you is the door. Acura has the TSX for the bottom rung of their ladder. In fact, I'd argue they have the bottom of their line-up covered better than another other luxury brand. But the cars they need to focus on should be priced well north of that.
    For Acura's cars, yes. For their SUVs, no.

Halo cars aren't out there to promote a specific model or a specific type of cars. Halo cars are out there to promote the BRAND.
    No offense intended, but if all you're willing to spend on a car is $30K, the only thing a luxury dealer should be showing you is the door.

Not true.

A TSX-based coupe with the turbo-charged 4-banger, SH-AWD and manual tranny with the sticker around $33k will be really competitive IMO.

I am sure that car will get Mr. Nippononly's attention right away...
  • dm1212dm1212 Member Posts: 59
    I happen to like the new TL, and the MDX. I wouldn't really consider Acura luxury in my opinion. Against luxury automobiles like BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus, Acura is not even in the same class. No doubt they are great cars, but they don't even offer a V8 powered vehicle yet.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I am sure that car will get Mr. Nippononly's attention right away...

Oh yes you're RIGHT it would. If they could shave a few inches off that wheelbase and give it another 50% in road feel I would sure appreciate it though.

And I wouldn't spend that same $33K on a 2009 TL, that's for sure......

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yes, supercars provide a halo for the brand, but the halo shines brighter if the cars under it are similar. For example, using a race car to promote the HUMMER brand would be silly. Think of this "MSX" as the MDX Type R. It is a low-volume, performance-oriented variant used to highlight the more practical model.

"A TSX-based coupe with the turbo-charged 4-banger, SH-AWD and manual tranny with the sticker around $33k will be really competitive IMO."

Just out of curiosity, when a magazine reviews Nippononly's AWD TSX, which cars would the writers use for comparisons? Would it go nose to nose with Audis and BMWs, or would the mags peg it against Subarus and Mazdas? Keep in mind the last TSX was always compared with Subaru's and Mazdas.

No matter how good the car is, entry-level products will hurt Acura's chances at being viewed as a tier 1 marque (think Integra). OTOH, good top-level products will bolster Acura's attempt to go tier 1. The MDX is currently the best product Acura has. It is the closest thing they have to a tier 1 product. Highlighting it with a Type R variant is a good idea. We haven't seen the specs, we know nothing about the powertrain, we don't even have a firm pricepoint and this thing is already being compared with a BMW costing between $50-70K.

The last Acura to compete against cars priced above $50K was released in 1991.

I'm not suggesting Acura should NOT build a TSX Type S or Type R. It would probably be a great car (just like the Integra). What I'm saying is that a car like that would do nothing for the goal of making Acura into a tier 1 brand. In fact, it would hinder that goal.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Varmint, you're being paged:

ateixeira, "Is There Room in the Luxury Market for Hyundai?" #1561, 4 Dec 2008 11:23 am

Sorry for the interruption.

Here's some V8 news to get you back on track:

Honda/Acura V8 coming--but not until 2015 (Straightline)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I wonder if either Acura or Infinity are even profitable? Lexus is taking some sales hits, so these two are probably getting hurt worse.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    link title

I bought it as a second vehicle for my commute car as I drive over 40,000 miles per year. Last Thursday I was driving home from Thanksgiving dinner and was hit from behind on the interstate by a truck traveling in excess of 100mph. I was going about 74 from what I remember. I wanted to share these pictures with you of the wreck.
    link title

Ford (and its Volvo brand) and Honda (and its Acura brand) took home nearly one-third of this year’s Insurance Institute for Highway Safety “Top Safety Pick” awards.

Honda, Acura and Subaru also stood out by taking home a Top Safety Pick award in each class in which they offer a vehicle.

The winners of the award are:

Large cars
    Acura RL
    Audi A6
    Cadillac CTS
    Ford Taurus
    Lincoln MKS
    Mercury Sable
    Toyota Avalon
    Volvo S80

Midsize cars
    Acura TL, TSX
    Audi A3, A4
    BMW 3 series 4-door models
    Ford Fusion with optional electronic stability control
    Honda Accord 4-door models
    Mercedes C class
    Mercury Milan with optional electronic stability control
    Saab 9-3
    Subaru Legacy
    Volkswagen Jetta, Passat

Midsize convertibles
    Saab 9-3
    Volkswagen Eos
    Volvo C70

Small cars
    Honda Civic 4-door models (except Si) with optional electronic stability control
    Mitsubishi Lancer with optional electronic stability control
    Scion xB
    Subaru Impreza with optional electronic stability control
    Toyota Corolla with optional electronic stability control
    Volkswagen Rabbit

Minicar
    Honda Fit with optional electronic stability control

Minivans
    Honda Odyssey
    Hyundai Entourage
    Kia Sedona

Large SUVs
    Audi Q7
    Buick Enclave
    Chevrolet Traverse
    GMC Acadia
    Saturn Outlook

Midsize SUVs
    Acura MDX, RDX
    BMW X3, X5
    Ford Edge, Flex, Taurus X
    Honda Pilot
    Hyundai Santa Fe, Veracruz
    Infiniti EX35
    Lincoln MKX
    Mercedes M class
    Nissan Murano
    Saturn VUE
    Subaru Tribeca
    Toyota FJ Cruiser, Highlander
    Volvo XC90

Small SUVs
    Ford Escape
    Honda CR-V, Element
    Mazda Tribute
    Mercury Mariner
    Mitsubishi Outlander
    Nissan Rogue
    Subaru Forester
    Toyota RAV4
    Volkswagen Tiguan

Large pickups
    Ford F-150
    Honda Ridgeline
    Toyota Tundra

Small pickup
    Toyota Tacoma
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The v8 is not coming out in 2015. That article is false. The dealers were told that it would come out within 18 to 24 months. Acura has formed a team of 25 people that will evaluate a tier 1 strategy. They are also going to dealers and showing them computer simulated images of what it should look like. Takeo Fukui said it's coming but there is no timeline. The new v8 will probably come out in 2010 for the 2011 RL. Some say the new X6 fighter might get it but for now it will get the 3.7L v6.
  • karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    Had to come over to this forum to VENT :mad: :mad: :mad:

..... I saw yet another 2009 TL, and in every color it is HIDEOUS. :sick:

The last version TL was a handsome sedan with enough RWD styling overtones to grab G35 & 5-series shoppers despite its FWD Accord parts-sharing.

The new car looks nasty (& I'm not just talking about the BEAK).

I'm convinced they only tacked on AWD for the same reason Jaguar tacked AWD on their x-type (to disguise the pedestrian transverse-engine underpinnings).

BTW -The latest restyle works better on the TSX, but I still prefer the clean, nimble old version, a very focused sports sedan.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    Is the 2009 TL really THAT bad in person? Reason I'm asking is because one of my coworkers in another building called me, all excited, about a 2009 TL that he just took delivery of this weekend. It's the AWD model, in midnight blue.

He wants me to come see the car, and I was wondering if I should mentally prepare myself for it, so I don't accidentally make some facial expression that hurts his feelings? :surprise: He even mentioned himself, about how polarizing the styling can be, and that it's taken a lot of flak.

From what I've seen in the pics online, it doesn't look too bad. At some angles, it makes me think of a Saturn Aura, and some other angles look a bit like a Nissan Maxima.

Oh, I agree about the previous-gen TL. I thought that was one nice looking car. Normally I like bigger cars for their room, but I thought the TL was packaged very well for its size.

Anyway, when I get a chance to actually see this car (might not be till tomorrow) I'll let y'all know what I think!
    Aside for the Schnoz, the TL looks pretty good in the flesh. The rear end is definitley more attractive than the nose imo. The sloped deck with the fat quad exhaust pipes is pretty menacing although I don't know how much of it affects rearward visibility either. If your friend got an SH-AWD model, it comes with much racier 19" wheels instead of the pedestrian looking 18's as well. Blue is a pretty color for the TL, both the new one and the outgoing model, and I think it gets the lighter interior with a set of fantastic seats.

I am putting the 2010 model on my list for future purchases once the car gets the proper 3 pedal setup and I am not put off by the looks one bit. I still think the G35xS is the "looker" in this class but the TL is more engaging to drive.

I'll be curious about your impressions!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Don't look directly at the front from any angle. It's really a weird and heavy handed design. The rest of the car is pretty bland, kind of a Japanese Bangle theme going on, weird pointless angles with a pseudo-sporty/aggressive look.
    As you walk up to the car you will feel your mouth start to open in shock at what they did to what was a fairly nice-looking car in the last gen, and then you will feel your hand start to rise as you instinctively move to pinch your nose closed at the awful smell you can only assume emanates from such a foul-looking beast.

Be sure to quell both such urges so as not to hurt your friend's feelings.

I have never been a fan of the "boat tail", and it certainly doesn't work on this bloated Acura model. The front end should carry warnings for the public.

And it's now a FORTY-thousand-plus-dollar vehicle with the larger engine and the AWD, and can't even hope to keep up with its rivals at that price point.

And at the same time it will certainly kill what little remaining interest there might have been in the "halo model", the RL. Honda is driving Acura straight to the grave, a mere 20-or-so years after they launched it.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

And at the same time it will certainly kill what little remaining interest there might have been in the "halo model", the RL.

Funny you mentioned that, Nippon. I remember when the '04 TL came out ('04 WAS the first year for the outgoing style, right? Memory's getting fuzzy), I thought it made the RL at the time seem obsolete. Even though the RL was redone soon after, the restyle just never did anything for me. My friend who just got the '09 had an '04 TL. I remember sitting in it, and being really impressed. Lemko and I are probably the only two people who would call it small-ish, but I remember being impressed by how roomy it was inside, given its external dimensions. The interior seemed nicely done, too, and the thing seemed a steal for the $30-32K or whatever it cost.

I actually briefly considered getting one. Yes, as cheap as I can be when it comes to cars, I actually was tempted by the TL! But I wanted to wait and see what the new Chrysler 300 would be like. And then, since my 2000 Intrepid was continuing to stay fairly reliable once it was paid off, I figured there were better things to do with my money. And considering where the stock market ultimately went, a 2004 TL probably would have been a better investment! :P

I'm also going to try looking at my friend's new TL with an open mind. Often it take awhile for a new design to grow on me. I actually hated the '98 Intrepid/Concorde when they first came out, but my attitude must have softened, for me to end up with a 2000 Intrepid that now has 143,000 miles on it!

I didn't like the '02 Camry or '03 Accord at first, either, although the Accord grew on me quicker than the Camry did. The '08 Accord didn't leave a good first impression either, but I grew to like it.

It's kinda wild to think that the Acura nameplate has been around about 23 years now. It doesn't seem that long ago.
    NOT towards performance, that's for sure:

Honda cancels new Acura NSX

Plans for Acura’s NSX supercar program are on ice.

Honda president Takeo Fukui announced the NSX’s demise on Wednesday as part of several cutbacks, as Honda grapples with the global economic downturn.

.......The new NSX was expected to debut as a 2010 model

They also have announced that the scheduled launch of the Acura brand in Japan for MY 2010 is cancelled. I think Acura may have peaked in the mid-90s, little did we realize it at the time......

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081217/FREE/812179996

in about 5 minutes, I'm walking over to see my coworker's new '09 TL. And I've eaten lunch, so I'm doing it on a full stomach! :P
    Do tell, did you barf or did you manage to hold it down? :-P

I gotta admit, I thought the car was reasonably attractive in person. It's midnight blue, which is probably about the best color you can get on this car. My friend even said the same thing, that none of the other colors did anything for him, but the midnight blue just seemed to suit it. The interior was a 2-tone, with the leather being sort of a bone/off white color and the rest being either black or a very dark brown.

We didn't go for a spin, so I can't comment on how well it accelerated, cornered, or rode. I wouldn't be the best judge of that anyway though, since it will probably out-do anything in my fleet! I sat in it, and it seemed pretty comfortable up front. Foot room seemed tight up under the dash, though. Oh, and it failed the "Andre Test", where I put the front seat to where I'm comfortable, and then try to see if I can squeeze in the back. Headroom was actually decent, considering the car had a sunroof, and my hair was combed up, in sort of a faux-hawk. It was a bit tight on knee room though. I had to sit with my legs splayed a bit. And foot room was almost non-existent, because I couldn't get my feet under the seat. In all honesty though, a great deal of cars out there will fail the "Andre Test". Although surprisingly the Civic, of all cars, passed it! Mainly because there was more room for my feet. I guess those power assists in the TL take up a lot of room.

The interior seemed decent, but if this is a $40K or more car, IMO there's still too much plastic in it. Although I know I'm behind the times there, and nobody puts carpeting and thickly padded cloth or vinyl on the door panels anymore! I also don't like those types of gauge clusters where it looks like you can just grab it and yank it off the dash, but again, that's many cars these days.

While we were standing in the parking lot looking the car over, one of my friend's coworkers happened to walk by, and chatted with us a bit. He said it was a nice car, but he just couldn't handle something that big. Naturally I snickered. :shades:

All in all, I'd say it's a decent car, but I liked the '04-08 model better. BTW, my friend had an '04, which got totaled in an accident, and then an '07, which he traded on this one. His first Acura was a 2003 TL, which he liked, but when the '04 came out he fell in love with the new style.

He had actually been a Lincoln man in the past, but they started letting him down. He used to have an '87 Mark VII that was a good car. So good that he bought a used '92, which I think was the final Mark VII. He got something like 150-160,000 miles out of each one. But then he bought an 00 Lincoln LS that was such a turd that they got him into an '01 for a killer price. But once it got up to around 50K miles, he just didn't trust it, so he jumped ship to Acura.

And to this day, he's leery of keeping a car much over 50K miles. He told me that, in a roundabout way, he's STILL paying for that 2000 LS. I hope that doesn't mean he's been rolling negative equity every time he buys a new car. But if he's trading this often, and they're tending to have about 50K miles on them, he just might be! :surprise:
    His first Acura was a 2003 TL, which he liked, but when the '04 came out he fell in love with the new style.

The '04 was such a huge improvement over the '03 90s-bar-of-soap stying! Too bad they took such a step backwards this year...

I see magazine articles saying the new beak fits the TSX better than it does the TL but I disagree - it looks equally bad on both cars, which are after all similar in size.

Fun appears to be on the chopping block at Honda. Plans for the successor to the S2000 sports car, a lineup of rear-drive Acuras, a proposed V8 engine and a drop-top built off the CR-Z hybrid are all dead, according to a report in a British magazine.

The reason: Honda is rethinking its product plans as it grapples with the global downturn in sales and economic conditions, Autocar is reporting.

In the United States, Honda’s sales fell 8 percent last year and fell 35 percent in December. Tough times have led to the demise of the NSX supercar program, which would have had a front-mounted V10 and was to be a 2010 model.

Now, Honda also has decided to shelve a rear-drive V8-powered BMW-fighting Acura that was due in 2015, according to Autocar. The V8--long a sticky issue with Honda’s green image--was seen as the wrong powerplant, given the sporadic price of fuel.

Will they eventually get to a FOUR liter V-6 instead? While continuing to give AWD tweaks to an essentially FWD platform? And calling a non-competitive RL their halo model?

I kind of assumed that when reports first surfaced that the new NSX had been canned, that it was false, or that it just had been very temporarily put on hold. I am GREATLY chagrined to discover I was wrong on that count. :-(

Acura will eventually be the Lincoln of the Japanese world, if it isn't already.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090106/FREE/901069977

"Will they eventually get to a FOUR liter V-6 instead?"

Aside from the investment required to introduce a new engine, Honda may have decided that a big, honking V8 is, yesterday's entry ticket to luxury. There may not even be a need to go to a 4.0 V6m since a direct-injection, turbocharged 3.7 could probably crank out over 400 hp.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Acura could become a Lincoln "only" if the poor styling of the 09 TL is not rectified soon. FWD on the TL is a non-issue and Honda/Acura lead most others in their class with technology and reliability.
    There are no plans to cancel the v8. It will happen. Just doesn't have a timeline as of now. Could happen earlier but John Mendel says all those articles on edmunds and autocar are false.

The TSX will be getting a v6. The v6 TSX will be offered in limited quantities though. No information though my source says it will happen. The 2010 model will start production in August. 09 TSX production will stop by the end of January. The v6 TSX will probably not have SH-AWD. 2010 will see the MMC's of the RDX and the MDX. RDX gets a FWD model to help sales and to lower the price. 2009 RL production will end this month. The 2010 RL won't start production until May.
    "...will see the MMC's of the RDX..."

What is MMC?

Who is John Mendel?
    Acura is going to go 7 months with no production of a just-revised TSX???

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Honda is taking Acura to less sporty, bigger, bloated, softer. Not a good direction.

Mazda is looking better all the time, they look like the old Honda. Smaller, sporty, durable.
    Too bad Mazda doesn't have a premium brand like Honda. They would provide a good counter-balance to the geriatrizing of Acura. Acura should strive to mimic Infiniti more (in certain ways) and Lexus a lot LESS.

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Back in early 90's, Mazda almost brought a premium brand to market. Was it the Millenia or Minnenium? They had a 929(?) larger model that might have been a Milllenia but ended up "just" a Mazda.
    Mazda almost launched a Luxury nameplate called "Amati" (Or Amatti, something like that). Mazda canned the project and released the 929 and Millenia instead.
    And both died in the market and were not replaced at the end of their model runs. :-(

And the Millennia mimicked Lexus a lot more than it did Infiniti or Acura.

It would be nice to see Mazda base some models off the MS3 and MS6, sweeten up the interiors a LOT, and launch a luxury brand, wouldn't it? The Evo could be the basis for an M3 fighter.

Two Thumbs up! I agree with everything you posted
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I mourn for the old Honda. And I own an Acura and a Honda currently, so I'm not a Honda hater. But Mazda is making the cars that interest me most in the non-premium segment. The new TSX was the last straw for Acura IMHO.
    "The Evo could be the basis for an M3 fighter."

The Evo is a Mitsubishi.
    Yes, my remark was poorly explained, my thoughts were kind of rambling around other Japanese brands that could make a go of launching a luxury brand off existing, reworked models. Of course, neither Mazda nor Mitsubishi has the resources to do that. More's the pity, because as tlong says, the last straw has come and gone for me with the Acura brand.

I do hear that they might have only a 3 day delivery week. The 2nd Quarter they will produce only 10,000 units. The good news is that there is a press conference in chicago at the autoshow. Might be that crossover they are talking about so much.
    The NSX could happen. The car is simply on hold not canceled. It's mostly finished which means they could revive it if the economy gets better. The S2000 is ending its production run. It had a long but graceful 10 years of production.

http://www.motorauthority.com/acura-ready-to-compete-with-tier-1-luxury-brands.h- tml
    The 2010 MDX will get a 6AT which is finally needed. Some changes will also be done. Expect the crossover to come out in November. The crossover will be based on the MDX and there is no sign of a v8. The v8 might not debut until the next gen RL which has been delayed. There are also plans for a line of hybrids which could negate the need of a v8 but a v8 is still a possibility. They didn't cancel that. Just doesn't have a timeline for now which means it's probably on hold.
    they made it official today: the 2010 TSX will have an available 280 hp V-6, base price with that engine around $31,5. Why, then, would I buy a TL for $4000-5000 more? Maybe I would still want the TL-S, which has a stick shift which the V-6 TSX won't, but I know there aren't many like me in that respect.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090211/CHICAGO/902119980

Still waiting for something fun to reenter the Acura portfolio before I purchase my next one.......

The MSX which will be that X6 competitor will get the new 6AT. Acura made sure it was defect free which is why the 6AT took so long. They didn't want one that had lots of problems later on.
    "Acura made sure it was defect free which is why the 6AT took so long."

This is certainly believable, but what's your source of information?
    I think rv works there.

MSX is the latest sign that Acura has gone badly in the wrong direction.

Will they ever again have any new models that aren't wannabe SUVs?

I don't actually work there. If you understand the 5AT debacle you'll know why a 6AT hasn't been released. If I did work there then I wouldn't want to break the embargo :). I was pretty much correct on the 09 Civic. I was able to predict the bluetooth and the USB feature. People who shall remain nameless denied the USB functionality but it was added for 09. The USB system looks nice. It even plays iPod without some $50 USB/Aux cable. However it only works on 5th gen and up iPod's but you get full integration.