Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    igrek2000igrek2000 Member Posts: 5
    2008 CX-9 Sport FWD. MSRP: $30,050
    Was offered $22,988 at Bay Area, CA.

Is it a good price for the lower trim level car?
  • Options
    spyguy1022spyguy1022 Member Posts: 4
    Do all CX-9's come with the 3rd row?
  • Options
    unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Do all CX-9's come with the 3rd row?

All CX-9s come standard with 3rd row seating.
  • Options
    metclubinmetclubin Member Posts: 3
    Hi su_hyd,

I went yesterday to Browns Chatilly Mazda and offered $32,500 for CX-9 GT AWD fully loaded with MSRP 41,160. They denied it. I'm still in negotiation with the manager over there and will post some more info as I get it. They cannot go below 33,452. I still feel 32,500 a decent offer so I'm not backing right now.

If anybody has bought in VA/MD/DC area pleas post, that would help a lot.

Thanks,

Met
  • Options
    shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    hey metclubin:

I am also in the same area, I was keep talking to the guy in chantilly via email, not physically went there yet.

I am looking for pretty base model CX-9 sport AWD with just drivers package. if you get any success with them, email me plz, and let me know who u deal with.
    my email is shyboy gmail com

thanks once again man and good luck
  • Options
    nm_vandinm_vandi Member Posts: 5
    metclubin / shyboy,

Why dont you try go to www.fitzmall.com

http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/RESULTSB.ASP?V_XREFID=FMMZ163905:2008-08- -05T01:05:44.727

They have one for around 32,500 and they are in VA / MD area.

I am in Central NJ and I am getting a CX-9 GT AWD with Gt Assist for around $32,300 (it was termed special internet price).

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    su_hydsu_hyd Member Posts: 24
    Hi Met,

Thank you for sharing your on going buying experience with Browns Chattilly Mazda. I think your offer of $32,500 is a very reasonable on.
  • Options
    robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    nm

Could you tell me what the MSRP of the vehicle you are getting for $32,300?

Also, I have a question for everyone...Since there are so many different models and packages and options, is there a reason everyone just talk in terms of percentage off of retail instead of a dollar figure?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    I know the towing package gives you a software change and a trans cooler. It also says it gives you a receiver. Does that mean the vehicle is not standard with any type of hitch at all?

If so, has anyone added one and what was involved and what was the cost.

Thanks
  • Options
    nswartzbnswartzb Member Posts: 40
    see my post and others' responses on this thread about $ vs. % off.
  • Options
    flyerguy1flyerguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all. Thank you all for the great information.

I am finishing up a lease on a CX-7 and am looking to purchase a cx-9 AWD sport here on Long Island NY. I told the dealer that I wanted a CX-9 Sport, no options. Now, he didn't have a Sport model in stock but felt confident that he could get one so we started talking turkey.

He said MSRP is: $31750 but started pricing at $29,700.

So..

Sale price $29,700
    -$4000 Instead of Financing @ 1.9%
    Tax +$2216

Total $27916
    -$1000 Customer Loyalty

Final Sale price incl tax
    $26916.00

I pressed him to take off another 2k but he said he could maybe do $500.

Thoughts? Good deal/Bad deal.
  • Options
    metclubinmetclubin Member Posts: 3
    Finally, I closed on the deal yesterday at Browns Fairfax Mazda. I found the Fairfax delaer a little flexible than the Chantilly. At Browns Fairfax I was dealing with the salesman Rob. I added a few accesories like Cargo net, mat etc. The price below includes everything.

Here are the details.
    2008 CX-9 GT AWD

MSRP: $41,975
    Price Paid: $33,473
    VA Tax: $1006.44
    Processing Fee: $75 (If you are using S-Plan, this is the max delears can charge you. Otherwise, this fee is $349 and is highly negotiable.)
    Vehicle Registration/Title/Tags: $115.85
    Total On-Road: $34670.29

Options:
    All-Weather Floor Mats
    Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Rain Sensor Cover
    Blind Spot Monitoring System
    Bose Audio Package w/CENTERPOINT
    Compass
    Crystal White Pearl Mica Paint
    DVD Navigation System
    Grand Touring Assistance Package
    Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler
    HomeLink
    In-Dash 6-Disc CD Changer
    Moonroof Wind Deflector
    Moonroof/Bose Audio Package
    Power Open & Close Hatch
    Power Sliding Glass Moonroof w/Interior Sunshade
    Rearview Camera
    Receiver & Cover
    Remote Engine Start
    Roof Rack
    Splash Guards (Set of 4)
    Towing Package
    Wiring Harness
  • Options
    kanadakanada Member Posts: 9
    what exactly is the Receiver & Cover and how much is the msrp for the wiring harness?
  • Options
    spyguy1022spyguy1022 Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to thank everyone on the forum. We bought our CX-9 on Saturday (9/13) from Ray Skillman Mazda in Indianapolis. Worked with Carol and Chad and their manager Bryan. VERY professional dealership and true to their word! Worked everything out in e-mail beforehand with a $500 +/- on my trade-in and then confirmed over the phone before I drive out.

Here was my deal:

'08 CX-9 AWD Grand Touring
    MSRP - $37,964
    Price Paid - $29,064
    + TTL and a $135 processing fee

Options included blind spot monitoring (awesome feature!), all weather mats, roof rails, moonroof/BOSE.

The car had been used as a demo so had a few miles on it so I did get a bit of negotiating power for that.

They also offered me a fair price on my trade in. I did my homework before and had received a list of prices paid recently at auction so I knew what was fair.

Overall great purchasing experience by negotiating online and through e-mail. Matt at Bommarito Mazda in St. Peters, MO was also great to work with, just couldn't match the price of Ray Skillman. Being willing to travel in a 200-mile radius definitely paid off!
  • Options
    pjkopppjkopp Member Posts: 6
    Through the labor day weekend, the deal with the CX9 was
    4000 cash in lieu of 0%/36mo or 1.9%/60 month
    2000 dealer bonus cash if the reach a volume number
    500 mazda loyalty if you own or recently owned a Mazda

The goal was to negotiate down from invoice price (get that from edmunds or carsdirect or somewhere) based on your configuration. There is also about a 600 holdback. Not all dealers are willing to cut into their bonus money or their holdback. The more successful negotiators got the 10000 off when negotiating from a GT

I do not know if the cash is still valid.

In PA I bought a GT with MSRP of 40 for 31K. It is a great vehicle except the mpg is on the low end 13-15 mpg around town with very little highway driving. With a small tank I am filling up like every 250 miles. Otherwise awesome value.
  • Options
    samm3samm3 Member Posts: 5
    can you give me the dealer name
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    pjkopp,

Modern vehicles, for the sake of emission, needs to heat up CAT very quickly. Therefore, it runs rich to achieve that. I have ScanGaugeII to monitor the MPG. The initial 1 to 2 miles is around 10-12mpg no matter how gentle you drive around suburb.
    Once the engine/CAT are heated up, it gets to 15-16mpg at suburb. It is actually very easy to achieve the EPA highway rating of 21mpg due to CX9's low drag coeff and tall 6th gear (where the 6-speed tranny shines)
    My experiences have been: (pure highway)
    75mph -> 21-22mpg
    70mph -> 22-23mpg
    65mph -> 24-25mpg

CX9 has very short 1st gear (4.15, that of most other vehicles in this class is about 3), which adds to the problem of low MPG around town. So, be gentle on 1st gear, lift the gas pedal to fool it into 2nd very quickly. With some adjustment, I was able to raise my overall MPG from 16mpg to 17mpg (short highway) w/o lowering driving speed.
    Fast acceleration kills MPG due to its mass (4500lb+). This is no difference from other heavy vehicles.
  • Options
    abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    The receiver is the hollow, square piece on the hitch that you insert your ball mount into. It "receives" the ball mount. The OEM CX-9 hitch has a 1-1/4" receiver, which is too small even for some bike racks. The receiver cover is a plastic piece with a mazda logo that plugs the receiver opening to protect it from dirt accumulation.

I'm assuming you didn't get the factory towing package. I don't know how much Mazda would charge for a factory wiring harness, but you can get one online from etrailer for about $50. If you need a factory hitch, I have an unused one that I just removed that I'll sell you ;)
  • Options
    nswartzbnswartzb Member Posts: 40
    as to ceric's discussion about the CX-9's small 1st gear, i note that the owner's manual says you can start driving the car in 2nd gear.

haven't tried doing this yet, but any thoughts on manually shifting into and starting to drive in 2nd gear.

also, any thoughts on better/worse mpg by using automatic vs. manumatic?
  • Options
    jelly422jelly422 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at buying a used cx9 sport with about 19,000 miles for slightly under 17k. Any thoughts??? Good price? Any concerns about CX9 reliablity? Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    demo offer was 29% off msrp. we wanted 30-32% off, is this unreasonable?
  • Options
    mattmay25mattmay25 Member Posts: 1
    I am a general sales manager for Mazda in northern VA area. I am would be happy to answer any questions about pricing, incentives, holdback, and rebates about any Mazda product. Or if you have a question about options or a car in general.
  • Options
    dmac22dmac22 Member Posts: 6
    Matt,

What exactly are the current incentives on the CX-9. I know there's $4000 dealer cash, but is there more? Edmunds doesn't list this however. I heard something about an additional $2000 to some dealers that hit their sales numbers. What's a typical holdback for a Mazda dealer? I live in MA if it's relevant.

thanks
  • Options
    you are right. With my first real highway experience the mpg jumped to 23. Thanks for the understanding
  • Options
    samm3,

sorry for the delay, Piazza in West Chester
  • Options
    Yes, I have tried M-mode to start off on 2nd. It worked well.
    Too much trouble to do so on every stop, though.
  • Options
    soul2soul2 Member Posts: 1
    demo offered at $31,500 (includes tax/etc), with 4000miles on it. Its GT with Moonroof, Assistance pkg and after market DVD, blind spot monitoring. worth it?
  • Options
    The price can be better.
    Our local Mazda dealers (two actually) have been advertising $10,000 off on newspaper for GTAWD models. Your price is about $10,000 off from MSRP. Therefore, you should ask for more discount for abused 4000 miles (as a demo). $30,000 would sound fair to me.
  • Options
    my rationale is that the new cars are going for ~20% or more. I've seen suggestions about pricing a demo 10-12% off what the new cars are selling for. So when the dealer offered me 29% off, I thought I should get 20% off that everyone is getting + an additional 10% to 11% for buying a demo. I'm glad I walked away from the deal; it makes me nervous thinking about buying a demo with significant mileage on the car and not knowing the history of the car.
  • Options
    flyerguy1flyerguy1 Member Posts: 4
    All,

Just picked up my new CX-9 AWD Sport from Manhattan Auto Group in New York City.

Basic Sport AWD. Only options were power drivers seat, all weather mats and roof rack.

MSRP $32,075.00
    Purchase Price $23, 644.00
    Plus Tax $2, 039.00
    DMV/Other $278.00

Walk out price: $25,961.00

Thats 24% off the sticker price. I know they are looking to get rid of 2008 but I think that is a good deal.

Suprisingly, I had a very good experience with Manhattan Auto Group. Call them if you are in the market.
  • Options
    knashknash Member Posts: 2
    all , I was looking at a new mazda cx9 2007 sports model with roof rail , sunroof and bose package. it has power driver seats ..
    dealer quote is 23600 ( 9000 off msrp ) ..Did anyone had a better deal? are there any major difference between 2007 and 2008 model ?
  • Options
    derricksonderrickson Member Posts: 131
    I have been offered $9K off MSRP on any '08 models for the past two months, and was offered $10K off during Labor Day. So I would think you could do better on one that's been sitting on their lot for almost two years.
  • Options
    knashknash Member Posts: 2
    thanks. Do you know any issues with 2007 model ? I am worried since that was the first model ...
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    What dealer is advertising $10k off? My local dealers are only offering $7k but I'm willing to travel.
  • Options
    s1216s1216 Member Posts: 10
    the 2007 requires premium fuel I believe
  • Options
    Try our local
    Menlo Mazda, OakTree Mazda and Capitol Mazda. Two of the three' ads said $10,000 off. One said $8,500 off. I forgot which is which. All in SF Bay Area.
  • Options
    miket1000miket1000 Member Posts: 12
    I'm pretty sure the $10k off MSRP is not available if financing thru MAC - either lease or buy.
  • Options
    kreekree Member Posts: 10
    Ceric - were the $10,000 off MSRP ads you referred to in the California Bay Area for ANY trim Cx-9's or just for the GT? Were they "UP TO" $10,000 off or actually $10,000 off for any trim?

Derrikson - same question to you regarding the email quotes you got; also, are you in California?

Thanks.

FYI
    I have emailed most dealers in CA and the best offer I have gotten is $9,000 off a FWD Touring with dvd/bose (which is the configuration I want) - I thought that was a very good price (several dealers said they can't touch that price)
    but I may hold off if people are actually getting $10k off for a non-Grand Touring

I have gotten quotes for $10,000 off MSRP, but only for GTs with MSRPs of $40k and over, never on a Touring, which is what I want
  • Options
    Just wondering if anyone has information on what the new incentives/hold backs may be for October for the 2008 CX-9s?

I assume the incentives won't be worse than for September as Mazda wants to get rid of the 08s, but will it necessarily be better?

Thanks
  • Options
    Kree,
    I recall that the $10,000 off was for the fully loaded one (GT AWD + options). i.e. with MSRP reaching above $40k. For lower end model, $8500 off is probably more realistic. Sorry, I lost the Sunday newspaper already (recycled). Cannot be sure.

Yes, the $$$ off deal cannot combine with lower APR financing.
    Either this or that. Hope you all get a great deal.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the info. Ceric
  • Options
    kree,
    i am located in TX, not Cali, but my offers for $10K off last month (Aug) thru Labor Day were for ANY '08 CX-9 in-stock. Supposedly, the incentives "changed" in Sept, so the offers are now $9K off MSRP. The $9K off does apply to all models though. Hope this info helps!
  • Options
    armjamilarmjamil Member Posts: 6
    I am in Houston, TX. does anyone has any informatino about how much people have paid or what are the current incentives here. i have not seen anyone advertising $$s off here.
    I am in the market for a Cx-9. But I am confused as to go for a new one or buy a preowned.. Interested in a GT model.
    thanks in advance
  • Options
    Kree,
    Today's newspaper. Here is the quote:
    OakTree Mazda (San Jose):
    '08 Mazda CX-9 (Grand Touring, navigation, DVD Entertainment, BOSE & more!) $10,000 off MSRP (5 at this price) Example: #JM3TB38V080157877
    Capitoal Mazda:
    An Mazing $10,000 off MSRP (1 with this discount #162775)
    Menlo Mazda:
    2008 Mazda CX-9. Purchase for $10,000 MSRP (*include $4000 in factory incentives) or 1.9% APR....) 1 at this offer #JM3TB38V080153635

I think you get this idea.
    Also, let us not forget the $500 Mazda loyalty discount if you own a Mazda at the same address (show registration to dealer).

Good hunting, people.
  • Options
    thanks again for all the information!
  • Options
    charliexray9ercharliexray9er Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a AWD 2008 GT w/ Trailer package, Bose/ moonroof, GT Assist, Surius, and other goodies. $41,865..out the door at $37,722.00 (and he threw in mudflaps) Palisades Mazda in Nyack,NY..very nice experience..see Ted and tell em' Pat sent ya'...lol
  • Options
    armjamil, i am in houston, and have been offered $9K off on any remaining in-stock 08 CX9 for the past two months. i have not priced the 09's...
  • Options
    armjamilarmjamil Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the infor derrick. Do you remember which dealership you got this offer from?
  • Options
    badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    That would have been an acceptable deal back when I purchased in April. Even if your fees and taxes were $2,700, you still paid $2,000 to $3,000 over the possible $9,000 to $10,000 discount off MSRP.

So, I ask you (not cocky, just dumbfounded) why would I go look up "Ted and tell em' Pat sent ya'...lol"?
  • Options
    tiradetirade Member Posts: 2
    So glad I found this thread before making a purchase. It saved me a ton of money!

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring (Roof Rails, MP3/6-Disc, Remote Start)

$33385 - MSRP/Sticker
    -$2634 Employer Discount (S-Plan Pricing aka Invoice $307051)
    -$4000 Dealer to Factory Cash Back (Can't use Mazda Credit 1.9% if you take this)
    -$1500 Dealer Sales/Quota Bonus (I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be $2000)
    -$500 Customer Loyalty
    -$1000 Lease Customer Rebate (I was leasing a Mazda 6 that I turned in)

Total - $23751 ($9634 off MSRP)

I think they held back $500 on the Sales/Quota bonus cash, and/or possibly $500 on the $4k dealer/factory rebate (Ive seen reports thats its supposed to be $4500). Either way I feel like I got a great deal and I'm sure they still made money.