Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to lease a vehicle again after your last lease ended, and found that average monthly payments have gone so far up that you decided to get a cheaper vehicle with a lower monthly payment or purchase a used car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, October 18, 2018 telling us a little about your experience, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• sloanesqsloanesq Posts: 60
    Thanks for the info on the barn doors vs. the liftgate. It looks like liftgate is the way to go. Skipjack 2,what rebates are you referring to?
    Edmunds doesn't list any.

David
  • twattstwatts Posts: 4
    drb2002> fifth wire for illumination

Thanks! Still a little bit nervous about installing the controller and fuse in a vehicle that cost more than my first house . Asked my dealer for a price to install, and he said the service guys had never done it ... but he thought someone in Parts did it in his off time.

The harness looks like it should just be "plug and play," but experience tells me that things that look easy rarely are.

Guess I should just bite the bullet and install it myself!
  • lambdaprolambdapro Posts: 51
    There is a $1000 loyalty rebate for the purchase of Tahoes and Suburbans through June 30. Show proof of ownership of K-blazer, Tahoe or Suburban to get rebate.
  • 1000010000 Posts: 1
    I've never had a Suburban before so I thought some of you fine people could answer some questions I have.
    1. What kind of gas mileage would I expect to get on a 1992-1500, with the 5.7?

2. Is the transmission for a 92 a standard 400 or what?
    3. Is the engine a run of the mill chevy 350.
    4. This vehicle has 185,000 highway miles on it and runs well.(original engine& transmission) Is this excessive? How long or far do Suburbans last? (I would be useing this vehicle for local use and short trips)
    5. I can buy this suburban for $2500. is this a good price? (I would/could replace the engine & transmission in the future if not too expensive.)

Thanx in advance. -Ken
  • eversonseversons Posts: 38
    I have 250,000 miles on my 1992 K2500 Suburban with 5.7. I have regularly changed the oil every 12,000 to 16,000 miles. I have had no motor problems at all! I have had alternator, starter, transmission (1 ton heavy duty version), fuel pump and fuel pump logic circuit problems among others.

The truck is great, the cost of ownership is HIGH. Bits and pieces wear out frequently (this is an old high mileage truck). I drive 40,000 miles a year, so this is an issue. If you won't be putting on lots of miles, this may work out for you.

The price you mentioned is a good price. My upkeep, repairs, and maintainence runs about $3,000 for every 40,000 miles. So add that in.

Mileage about 12.5 per gallon mixed driving.

Feel free to e-mail questions.
  • zeenzeen Posts: 401
    Check Autonews.com
  • nhraracernhraracer Posts: 1
    I tow a 24' enclosed car trailer with a 5.3 1500 Yukon with Auto ride. I will agree that it's a little down on power, but can handle my rig (6500lbs +) pretty comfortably at 65 MPH. Doesn't have much more steam beyond that. I only use 3rd gear instead of I (overdrive) even though the manual says you can tow in D. I believe towing this load in 3rd on the highway is about 2800RPM with 3.73. I do recommend Auto ride. I can drop my trailer onto the hitch which brings the bumper almost to the ground, and ales 2 ins. later auto ride has corrected itself to perfectly level. Pretty nifty. Someone below alluded to Auto ride only assisting in the tow/haul mode on the 2500? Not sure I agree, but I like my truck. Also have to agree, wish I'd have waited a year, but the lease was up!
  • balserbalser Posts: 90
    Our last two 'burbs have had the barn doors and we prefer them to the lift gate. We have Thule bike racks and a pod for the top. It's very easy to open the barn doors, stand on the cargo area floor, and load whatever on the roof. Much easier than balancing on the bumper, sidestep, or rear tire. We tow and never found the barn doors to get in the way. The blind spot never bothers either my wife or I. It seems big, but in practice the center pillar has never really hidden anything. The barn doors on our 2000 are nicer than our 96 because they open farther without having to undo the hinge. I don't think we'll ever own a 'burb with the lift gate.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    This towing article may be of interest to some of you.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    I have a 3/4 ton (2500) Yukon XL, with Autoride. Autoride on the 2500 does not have the self leveling feature. It is an active system, on all the time but when you engage tow/haul mode it stiffens up the ride in back to prevent the bobbing when going over bumps. It explains it in the owners manual on page 2-35.
  • I can see why you like the barn doors because in the past the barn doors were superior... the lift gate on the old style Subs and Tahoes folded DOWN, which made it extremely difficult to reach into the bed... unless of course you are over 6 feet tall. It was good, however, for sitting on when you were tailgating at a ball game or whatnot. However, on the new style the lift gate is far superior in every respect... looks, blind spot, functionality (you can lift just the glass or the whole gate), etc. Dealers had trouble in the beginning keeping up with the lift gate orders as they assumed the people would continue to favor the barn doors. Eventually people realized that the lift gate was better and the dealers ordered stock accordingly. Give the lift gate a chance, it is an example of GM engineers finally getting something right! Regards, Bill
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    Glad you like it. Each to his own. That is why options exist. My wife chose the cargo doors on her '99 Tahoe and on her '01 Suburban because she did not like the "stupid" window wiper on the rear glass (that is what she said). When it get dirty, we simply wash it off. She had a '91 Blazer with the tailgate and could not reach into the rear cargo area because the tailgate stuck out too far. (She is 5'2"). With the liftgate, things roll out the back when the gate is in the open position, whereas on the cargo door, one can open one door at the time. (The separate lift glass is of no practical value for her since she can not reach in and touch the bottom to retrieve anything).

I personally like the option of an open rear end without worrying about doors or gates, like beds without shells. I have a '00 Silverado LT Ext Cab.
  • zeenzeen Posts: 401
    New GM incentives announced today on large SUV's
  • balserbalser Posts: 90
    it's still not as easy to get stuff onto roof racks or into pods with the lift gate. At least not without hauling around a stepladder. I find it far easier to put stuff on the roof when I stand in the back with the barn doors open. JMHO.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    At Home Depot last Saturday, I loaded 4 sheets of plywood and half a dozen 10 foot 4 inch posts onto the roof rack (of our 95 Sub) by opening the barn doors and standing on the bumper. I took them off without opening the doors but putting an old blanket over the back to prevent any scratching. Both worked pretty well. The only thing I dislike about the barn doors is the blindspot in the middle as you look through the rear view mirror.

At a local Chevy dealer, the display floor model has the liftgate up - you can easily walk under it without bumping your head. I wonder if smaller women have difficulty pulling it back down.

Excursion has an interesting arrangement with barn doors on the bottom half and a window that swings up on the top.

Ken
  • sbrown8243sbrown8243 Posts: 10
    I would like to look for a new suburban for my wife. She likes "victory red" exterior and tan leather interior. Is there one website where you can go to and put in these specs and it will tell you what dealers in your regional area have a vehicle already on the lot that is a match? I know the dealers have their own websites that include their inventory, but I was hoping to save myself some time with some one-stop shopping.
  • skipjack2skipjack2 Posts: 29
    Go to GM Web Site and use the Power Search. Put in a zip code and get the local dealers inventory. Works real nice. I went to the US Postal Service and got a Zip code page and kept expanding my search till I found the one I wanted in Charleston, SC. I live in Florida. Did the deal over the internet and telephone. Skipjack 2
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Posts: 39
    It really is to each, their own on this issue, but I wanted to cast my vote. I chose the barndoors for the following reasons: 1. Clearance / access to my Yakima Rocket Box on the roof ( I have it so it overhangs slightly, and on my old Honda Passport, the liftglass would hit the box and not open fully). 2. It's easier for me to open a door, than open a liftgate to toss things in the back. (Yes, I know that the glass flips up, but when you have the cargo cover in place, you really can't just toss things in under it through the glass opening.) 3. THE MOST IMPORTANT: My wife is just under 5' tall, 105 lbs. Trying to close a liftgate with the truck pitched forward 30 degrees in driveway just didn't work. (It was funny watching her jump to grab the liftgate to try to pull it down , though.) Even on level ground, it was tough for her to close the liftgate.

Things I dislike: 1. The blind spot in the middle (I've gotten used to it, no different than the 2 second delay going into reverse from drive). 2. No rear wiper and having to clean the back glass often.
  • rtomaniortomanio Posts: 2
    Looking for information on problems with differential on 2001 Yukon XL. After a 10 hour trip towing our camper (7,000lbs max), well below max terrible smell from differential. Dealer changed fluid, which they said had terrible odor, but no worn parts, metal shavings, etc. Truck has 6,000 miles. Odor is still a problem and does not seem to be dissipating. Any help would be appreciated.
  • sbrown8243sbrown8243 Posts: 10
    Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.
    GM reportedly to increase vehicle discounts in bid to reduce inventories (including incentives on the Suburban).

Steve
    Host
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Posts: 69
    I remember reading about several fixes to eliminate wind noise from the front windshield. I went back through the posts but could not find the solutions. I seem to remember someone saying that the rubber gasket was removed and silicon was placed abound the edge of the windshield and then the gasket was re attached. Any help is appreciated.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Try the silverado topic in the pickup forum

alot of guys have had this fixed and they can help you out

Ryan
    Steve:

My Suburban is being built this week. Will be coming in 10 days. Could hit this brief incentive. Though there will probably be more in the summer.

I'm buying a Suburban for the $1000 Loyalty discount tomorrow, I think.
    Sure you want to do that? You could buy a lot of boats and sticks for that kind of dough :-)

Steve
    Host
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    On the new models if you order, the lift gate is standard, and the barn doors are a no charge option. The new lift gates are also aluminium, so they are lighter to lift requiring lower support strut pressures, translating into easier closing.

One thing I have to say about the barn doors is if you tow a boat or even some trailers, you simply can't open the whole lift gate when hooked up, only the glass. I have this problem with my boat, I made a platform that bolts to the trailer so I can open the glass and get to whatever is in the back. I know that Reese Hitch makes a 18" extender, but I don't trust that for regular towing, I just use it to help launch the boat, keeps the rear end and tail pipe out of the water.

I still love the lift gate for regular everyday stuff, just that one gripe. To each his/her own I guess.
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Posts: 39
    For 2001, if you choose the barndoors, a credit (deduct)is given back to you for that option. Although the liftgate is standard, you end up paying more for it than the barndoors. The difference is only a couple of hundred dollars. This was changed for 2001 - for the 2000's there was no cost difference.
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    When I ordered my '01 Suburban (3/16/01), the liftgate was a $250 option, while the cargo doors were standard at no extra cost. ZW9 cargo doors, E52 liftgate/liftglass.
    Wife told me we had to have one new car! I like my old wagons and even found a couple of low mileage mid-90s Caprices that I bought. But she is unbending. We had a rough winter/spring. We literally had one of our wagons in the shop from the end of December until the day before yesterday. I can't blame her.

As you hint, the reason that we have not had any new cars is that all our money was spent on canoes, kayaks, paddles and equipment.

For me, kayaking is the equivalent of:
    "If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

Kayaking can fix all kinds of things, but it can't fix a transmission or a blown head gasket.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    That's a very interesting comment - I wouldn't have thought of it. I can't imagine how many times I've reopened the barn doors while hitched up in order to find this or load that or dig for some other thing already stored.

Ken