Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

@cski said:
    My first serious girlfriend's parents drove all the way out to Leesburg (30 miles) to get an '89 3rd gen EX with the sunroof in the beige/tan color. It was slick inside. The needles did it for me. On the gauges. So long, thin and elegant, just like the car. A four door Prelude. However, there more made of the fourth generation, and there are a great deal of them still on the road. When 'Honda Accord" pops in my head, the 4th gen is the minds-eye picture I imagine.

The 4th generation - that's the '90-'93 model years, correct? I had two of them - a '92 LX that the (first) wife kept when we split and a '93 DX that I got when I first moved to Colorado.

I agree - they were great cars. Even my DX with no AC and a 2 speaker stereo (!) was fun to drive with a stick shift, good power to weight, and awesome sight lines. I look at cars from that era and am amazed by all the glass and great visibility. Current cars, not so much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I had a '90 Civic DX stick shift. Had AC but otherwise very bare bones. Loved that car. And it got 40 mpg way back then. Nowadays, though, I like my cars a little more cushy. That car was pretty tiring on a long drive.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

I had a 90 Accord LX sedan. That was a great car.

• Loved driving the '89, and loved the 94 Integra (based on the Civic as we all know) even more.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Still love my 2001 Prelude Type SH. Drove it for the first time in 2014 to work today. The odometer rolled over to 151,000 miles just as I was up shifting between 2nd & 3rd while merging onto I-95. Visibility is fantastic. I had an E30 325i that I bought as a project car back in 2008. There are absolutely zero blind spots on that.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited March 2014

My brother-in-law is putting down a special order for a Honda Accord Hybrid Touring in Obsidian Blue. He could afford an Audi, BMW, or MB, and considered those, but ultimately for safety, features, mpg, visibility, performance, and looks he went with the HAH.... The Accord Hybrid is in such demand that it looks like it will take about 2-3 months for him to get it. But waiting is worth it, imho, to get just what you want, like up to 50 mpg while still having a 0-60 of 7 seconds.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • I had a 1979 BMW 320i 2door as a project car back in '96. Even though it was the least desirable model, it still had that rear-drive balance and steering bred into the 3 series. It drove fantastically. The Integra was the best handling front drive I ever drove, and the BMW the best rear drive.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited March 2014

A few weeks ago, I backed into a snowbank despite having a rear view camera and reverse sensors. Due to all the snow, the parking lot at work got a lot smaller. I knew I was close to a car on the right, but hit the snow with the left.
    If it warms up some more, I should be able to finish bending it close to how it was.
    My wife's Escape has BLIS which tells you which side is closest to an object.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

I'm considering a job change that will double my commute distance to 80 miles round trip daily. So, have given some thought to whether the beloved 2013 Accord Sport 6MT is still ideal for that situation. The fuel savings of a hybrid or diesel won't make up for a higher car payment. At $3.50/gal, staying at the same 28 mpg will only cost me about $100 a month more in fuel. I'd need 56 mpg to break even on fuel cost, and even more to actually subsidize a higher car payment. (The increased pay, BTW, more than makes up for fuel, maintenance, increased frequency of replacement vehicles... my real dillema is whether I'm willing to give up so many hours of my life commuting, but that's a somewhat different topic). But regarding vehicles, if I'm to spend so much time in the car, and not the fun type of driving, I might appreciate a higher end stereo and some additional luxury features (air conditioned butt sounds nice!). Specifically, some sort of radar/laser cruise control to make the bumper-to-bumper less irritating. At the same time, I'd hate to pile so many miles on a very expensive car. A high mileage Accord will still be easy to sell in 5 years, and hopefully will be perfectly reliable until then. It still feels very luxurious compared to my last car, and I really don't mind a manual transmission this good in traffic. I'll probably stick with what I have until there is a pure electric with over 100 miles of range and lots of leg room in my price range.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

@ahightower
    Congrats on new job. The Mazda6 may be a possibility. Good auto tranny, driving dynamics that are as good or better than the Accord, great gas mileage with RUG. If you got the Grand Touring it would give you a little luxury like leather and Bose system. I know they have the BLS and the automatic braking but I'm not sure if it has the adaptive cruise but I would guess that it does. Just a thought.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

I could really use some BLIS every time I have to back in ;) ,but I do get your point that even with cameras and sensors it isn't foolproof.

I might have mentioned that the senior pastor at my church bought the same Optima EX base as I did. He just sold it after only 2 years. It is very low to the ground, and he hurt his back getting in and especially out, and like me he said it felt like driving a bathtub. They bought a Sorrento EX V6.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

Unless you are going for a major change keep the Accord - at least for a while. You can always splurge on a nice stereo upgrade to help on the commutes.

Bump up your tire pressure and drive a little more gently. That mpg will get better.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@ahightower said:
    I'm considering a job change that will double my commute distance to 80 miles round trip daily. So, have given some thought to whether the beloved 2013 Accord Sport 6MT is still ideal for that situation. The fuel savings of a hybrid or diesel won't make up for a higher car payment. At $3.50/gal, staying at the same 28 mpg will only cost me about $100 a month more in fuel. I'd need 56 mpg to break even on fuel cost, and even more to actually subsidize a higher car payment. (The increased pay, BTW, more than makes up for fuel, maintenance, increased frequency of replacement vehicles... my real dillema is whether I'm willing to give up so many hours of my life commuting, but that's a somewhat different topic). But regarding vehicles, if I'm to spend so much time in the car, and not the fun type of driving, I might appreciate a higher end stereo and some additional luxury features (air conditioned butt sounds nice!). Specifically, some sort of radar/laser cruise control to make the bumper-to-bumper less irritating. At the same time, I'd hate to pile so many miles on a very expensive car. A high mileage Accord will still be easy to sell in 5 years, and hopefully will be perfectly reliable until then. It still feels very luxurious compared to my last car, and I really don't mind a manual transmission this good in traffic. I'll probably stick with what I have until there is a pure electric with over 100 miles of range and lots of leg room in my price range.

I wouldn't sell/buy just because you have a longer commute...never seems to work out for me when I need to sell/buy; always costs more than I anticipated.

Beside your uid it shows DFW...if that's DFW traffic then I feel for you...the D*@$# Bag quotient seems higher there.

ahightower: Like my brother-in-law, perhaps you might consider the Accord Hybrid?

• ahightower: You will hate the long commute. If not immediately, then soon after. Think of all the time you can't get back...cooped up in your car eating bad breakfast burrito's instead of sleeping in and having breakfast with your family....and being able to make it back for dinner. That's just me though. :)

edited March 2014

@benjaminh said:
    ahightower: Like my brother-in-law, perhaps you might consider the Accord Hybrid?

That was one of my considerations. If I actually needed a new car now, I might talk myself into Hybrid vs Sport. One friend driving 100 miles round trip daily just got a new Fusion Hybrid. It rides very smoothly and quietly. Decent interior materials. The rental spec Fusion I had a few months ago left me very unimpressed, but his higher trim level is very nice, and he's getting legit high 40's mpg.

But again, the cost/benefit doesn't quite work out to make a change at this time. My inner cheapskate (who I had to stifle just to end up with a new Sport in the first place) says, pay it off and drive it into the ground. Just can't see starting over with new, higher payments to save about $85 a month in fuel.

Ask me again after a couple months and I may have become irrational enough to splurge on some Buick isolation chamber :)

@ivan_99 said:
    Beside your uid it shows DFW...if that's DFW traffic then I feel for you...the D*@$# Bag quotient seems higher there.

Indeed. I say a prayer every time I cross the Dallas county line :)
    I'll be going from Westlake to Richardson. (Assuming they make me an offer. All speculative at this point, but signs are good.)
    It's far enough that I'd consider moving across town, but the family is all plugged in with friends and church and kids activities on our side of town. So Dad will suck it up and commute until the nest is empty and we can downsize closer to the office.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

@ahightower said:
    Ask me again after a couple months and I may have become irrational enough to splurge on some Buick isolation chamber :)

While you've still got your mental faculties intact, I'll say I think your current plan to keep your vehicle is a good one. In fact, since you might be getting a bump in pay, my not-so-inner cheapskate would suggest paying it off more quickly. If you can, you could find yourself in a situation with NO car payment for awhile, save a few extra $$, and then reward yourself with something pretty. :) Even accelerating a bit can get you into a positive equity position pretty quickly, which makes it easier to trade in.

Trading to save on gas is usually a losing proposition, which you know. It's psychologically easier to eat a higher car payment, though. You pay the car payment once a month, most of us on auto-pay, and you don't think about it again. But you think about gas costs every time you have to fill up.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

@ahightower
    Your fuel mileage will probably edge up towards the rated highway MPG with your longer commute.
    Make sure you like the job before you lock yourself into a new car based on a longer commute.

@Kirstie@Edmunds - Agreed. I like our other car more every month that I don't make a payment. 2005 Yukon, 113K. It was a big payment for us at the time, but we really liked it, and we intended it to see us through raising our three boys. So far, so good, and not even halfway through with it, I hope. It's another case of mpg being irrelevant. It's no fun buying gas $100 bucks/30 gallons at a time... but that only happens once a month. (My wife plans to trade it for a new Mini when the stinky teenagers depart.)

It occurs to me that my oldest will be driving in 3-5 years (the range depends entirely upon his maturity...) If I put 22K a year on the Accord, it'll still be a perfect first car for the kids.

@explorerx4 - I do hope my mpg increases on the long commute. I've used the Fuelly app since I bought the car. Without doing much to avoid traffic, and almost never using the econ button, I'm doing 28.7.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ahightower/accord

It's rated 34 highway, so I expect I can consistently break 30 if I time traffic well and calm down my driving style. The drive home may be tougher to avoid traffic... I'd have toll and non-toll options, and I may determine the slightly longer but freer flowing toll route is worth the fuel and sanity savings on the PM drive.

• I think The Accord (Sport) is exactly the right weapon to attack an 80 mile round trip commute, as long as it is mostly clutch-in driving. It is well built, frugal, and reliable as a refrigerator

However, if I had to pump that clutch for 1.5 hours each way... then well, not so much.

@cski said:

I think The Accord (Sport) is exactly the right weapon to attack an 80 mile round trip commute, as long as it is mostly clutch-in driving. It is well built, frugal, and reliable as a refrigerator

However, if I had to pump that clutch for 1.5 hours each way... then well, not so much.

I will add that I think you will be surprised by better mpg even if you don't change your driving habits as the car will be spending much more time warmed up, which is much more efficient than a cold engine. Tweek speeds down a bit and avoid heavy throttle and you will be mid thirties before you know it.

Post back on how your mpg improves on the new commute.

Warm engine really helps my mpg. And keeping the speed to c.64-68 instead of 70-74 adds about 2-3 mpg as well. I've got the Accord CVT, and that adds another 2-3, which is how I was once able to get as high as 40 on a highway trip (plus the ac was off)....

edited March 2014

Automobile magazine compares the Chrysler 200 and the Accord:

"Chrysler has gone for a cockpit-like treatment with a high center console that angles up to meet the dash.....Unfortunately, the enveloping feel applies not just to the driver but to the passengers as well. Rear-seat space is adequate for a six-footer, but the 200 closes in around you due to its sloping roofline, rising beltline, and thick pillars.

What a contrast to the Accord....Honda's longtime talent for space efficiency is on display here. Sit in the rear seat, and not only are the front seatbacks far away from your knees, but a six-footer's head doesn't brush the roof and you can easily see outside. The squared-off cabin is as airy as a downtown loft. The windows are large, the pillars are thin, the console is low -- it's a formula that today's auto designers have largely discarded, but one that is absolutely endearing for a car's driver and passengers."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1403-2015-chrysler-200-limited-vs-2014-honda-accord-ex-comparison/#ixzz2xLVYlwT8

edited March 2014

Survey:

1) If you could choose just one thing, what do you dislike the most on your mid size?

2) What one item/feature do you like the best?

• Benjaminh: That was a great review. The 200 sure is a looker, with the 4 door coupe styling similar to cars like the Mazda 6 and the Optima. The wheels look like exact copies of mine.

With the poor visibility being a major issue for me, followed by poor steering and difficulty placing the wheels, I would go right over to Honda and grab the Accord. (with the Sport wheels if at all possible). ;)

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

For my 2013 Sonata GLS...

1) I wish the rear seats would fold completely flat. The seatbacks stick up at an angle when folded, as they do on most sedans. I wish more automakers would copy the clever design of the Mazda6 hatch, in which the rear seat bottom moves down as you fold the seatback, resulting in a flat cargo floor.

2) That's a tough one, but after this winter (over 50 days below zero) I'd have to say the heated seats. :smile:

@cski said:
    Survey:

1) If you could choose just one thing, what do you dislike the most on your mid size?

2) What one item/feature do you like the best?

It's March Madness! No, I don't mean the basketball stuff. I mean prices on mid-sized sedans. Some great deals out there now. A few examples from today's paper:

• 2014 Fusion (base model I expect) for either $17,288 or $89/month for 24 month lease, with $2500 down + TT&L.
    • 2014 Sonata GLS for $17,310 (add $500 if not a Hyundai owner)
    • 2014 Sonata GLS for $189/month for 36 month lease with only first payment up front

I expect the great deals on Sonatas are because the redesigned 2015s will be here pretty soon, also the auto show discounts expire this weekend.

It's a tough call, but perhaps the thing I like best about our 2013 Accord is the outstanding visibility. In terms of things I don't like they are just little nit-picks, but the carpeting on this generation isn't as good as on previous Accords.

• Optima worst and best feature:

Worst is a tie: Poor visibility or rubbery steering

Best thing: Looks inside and out

• @backy said:
    It's March Madness! No, I don't mean the basketball stuff. I mean prices on mid-sized sedans. Some great deals out there now. A few examples from today's paper:

• 2014 Fusion (base model I expect) for either $17,288 or $89/month for 24 month lease, with $2500 down + TT&L.
    • 2014 Sonata GLS for $17,310 (add $500 if not a Hyundai owner)
    • 2014 Sonata GLS for $189/month for 36 month lease with only first payment up front

I expect the great deals on Sonatas are because the redesigned 2015s will be here pretty soon, also the auto show discounts expire this weekend.

I always worry about those teaser deals. I imagine there is 1 stock number at that price, and it includes 1 vent, canvas bench seats, AM radio, 1 roll down window and 13"steel wheels.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439

I know Fitzmall is advertising (real prices on real cars) in the $4,500 off neighborhood for 4 cyl. Altimas, so around 20K for an S.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited March 2014

My Fusion.
    Like least: Too much power for what I need.
    What I like best: Pretty much everything else.
    If I could buy it again, I would get the hybrid model.

Honda Accord best feature: visibility, sure handling, backup camera. Actually, pretty much everything.
    Worst feature: upgrade the stereo on EX-L but keep the interface.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • @explorerx4 said:
    My Fusion.
    Like least: Too much power for what I need.
    What I like best: Pretty much everything else.
    If I could buy it again, I would get the hybrid model.

I also have come to the conclusion that a hybrid would be a good idea for this area, but I don't think I could ever complain about too much horsepower!

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited March 2014

@suydam said:
    Honda Accord best feature: visibility, sure handling, backup camera. Actually, pretty much everything.
    Worst feature: upgrade the stereo on EX-L but keep the interface

Here is one I hate on my exl v-6, Accord................

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited March 2014

@suydam said:
    Worst feature: upgrade the stereo on EX-L but keep the interface

Move the parking brake out of the bottom center Console and onto the floor. I find this to be a very bad place for a barking brake handle.................... What was Honda Thinking? By the way speaking about the Accords terrible sound system. The radio is a Alpine, and the speakers are Fosters.. If you upgrade the speakers it will be a big improvement.

By far one of the worst Radio, Speaker combo in any vehicle I have had and heard. Put this system in the basic model Civic.

I had a 2003 Honda pilot and the sound system was alot better than what they have been putting in the Accords. Ford, mazda, Nissan and Kia 's radio's are much better than my Accords radio.

My Bmw X-5 has a very good sound system with 16 speakers. My Genesis R-Spec has a Lexicon 17 speaker, 7.1 surround sound with a built in amp... by far this system is up there with the best sound systems you could get in a vehicle. Top dogs in this field that I have had are.... Bang & olufsen, Mark levinson, Bowers & Wilkins, Harmon kardon, Boston acostic's, and I like some Bose systems. I'd love to see one of these systems in the Accord.. Even the lower end Bose system would be such a big improvement.

No vehicle is perfect or can please all around. In a perfect world buying a car should be like going into subway sandwich shop. Mix and matching

Give me the BMW/ Audi - Suspension and handling

MB/ Lexus........................Ride and Quite cabin

Volkswagon/ chevy volt ... for gas mileage

Oh yeah... if you can........ Throw in Honda's awesome Radio/ sound system...LOL

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Maybe on a low-end car, that could be a problem. But mid-sized sedans come pretty well equipped these days, even in base form. So a little over $17k for a base Fusion or base Sonata is a great deal on a nice car, IMO. In the case of the Sonata, we're talking a car with nearly 200 hp, power windows/locks/mirrors, 6-speaker audio with XM radio, and 16" wheels. Not a penalty box by any means. Not the best in class, but in my experience a highly competent family sedan. The lease is even a better deal... $189/month for 3 years is close to the depreciation on the car!

And in MN, the ads have to say whether there's just one or a few stock numbers at the advertised price. Sometimes I see ads like that. The ads I saw yesterday weren't like that.

@cski said:
    I always worry about those teaser deals. I imagine there is 1 stock number at that price, and it includes 1 vent, canvas bench seats, AM radio, 1 roll down window and 13"steel wheels.

I don't find the Accord sound that terrible, just not as good as the Altima's. The XM sounds great. I like the parking brake in the middle. And overall I really love the car. I have had it for a year now.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited March 2014

brian125: I remember installing aftermarket stereos in the mid-nineties Accords and it was really, really simple. Head unit was double din, and the speakers were all 6 1/2". I don't understand why many Asian cars now use rear door speakers instead of the rear deck. My car has them in the rear doors, and they unequivocally suck. There is a round area, but not cutout, where the OEM 8" sub would be if I had opted for the Infinity stereo.
    I have a 1 cubic foot Infinity powered sub that I added on, but with only 200w RMS it barely gets through to my ears. Since there are no cutouts for speakers in the deck, that space and bass reflex properties of the trunk are completely wasted.

Is the stereo any good in the base Optima EX? Yes and no. Digital media sounds fine (MP3, CD, SAT). The FM stereo is dreadful. It sounds like AM.

Backy: On the "teaser deals", I am sure there are some actual deals out there at the advertised price. I was just being silly, but there is truth in the silliness, and like you said, it depends on the car, and on whether the dealer can get away with bait and switch, which is illegal in VA.

Please keep the emergency brake where it is. Foot parking brakes are worthless. They can't be modulated properly as they lock up as they are pressed and the only release all at once.

One more area where control is taken away from the driver. No thank you!

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

When do you NEED to modulate the parking brake? You don't need to do that for parking and in an emergency you can just use full braking anyway. They weren't designed to help you drift around a turn or slide on ice.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I think he means in situations where you might be driving a manual trans car and have to start back up after stopping on an uphill.

• @akirby said:
    When do you NEED to modulate the parking brake? You don't need to do that for parking and in an emergency you can just use full braking anyway. They weren't designed to help you drift around a turn or slide on ice.

1) I haven't used my parking brake since I bought my (automatic) car.

2) Sliding and drifting is fun. B)

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    I think he means in situations where you might be driving a manual trans car and have to start back up after stopping on an uphill.

Exactly. I don't need it, but it is nice to have and my kids do occasionally need it. The Accord does have a hill holder clutch, but it only engages for a couple of seconds which may not be enough for a beginner. I still have a 14 year old that I need to keep from the dark side (by teaching him the jedi art of shifting for himself).

And yes drifting is fun in the winter. I live on a narrow street and in the winter I can just spin right into my parking spot. :)

edited March 2014

Short answer: The HANDbrake belongs at HAND :)

The hill-holder feature is very cool, and I'm surprised at how much I've appreciated it. It's probably prolonging the life of the clutch as well. But yes, there are times that you want to use the hand brake for longer stops. Like, parked in neutral with the engine running.

cski - It's best to use the e-brake even with an automatic. For one, it relieves some of the force being exerted on the gears/transmission. You know that feeling of putting it in park and then it slumping forward or backward a few inches? That ain't good for it. And it could make it hard to get back out of Park later. Also, if you rarely use it, and then decide you need it one day and the cable hasn't moved in a very long time, it could get stuck or broken. This is why on certain new luxury cars, the parking brake is electronic and can be set to automatically engage every time you go into Park. Lexus, and others presumably, know that it is best practice to use the parking brake when parking (engage it before letting your foot of the brake).

@cski said:
    2) Sliding and drifting is fun. B)

edited March 2014

ahightower: It is like out of sight, out of mind. My parking brake is on the floor, and until we started talking about it, I have not even thought about it, nor have I felt the lever with my foot. It is like it doesn't exist.

About it being fun to slide: I have not had any fun sliding the Optima, but I sure did when I was younger. A lot younger. On cheaper cars, and when there were a lot less people to put in danger.
    Comment withdrawn.

• One more Survey:

How much does it cost to ensure your midsize?

2012 Kia Optima EX: $94 a month with one ticket counting against me. Liberty Mutual.

Keep in mind I live in a congested area with a high rate of accidents.

@cski‌ I don't usually pay much attention the the insurance bill, just pay it.
    There are 6 cars with my name on them and we have homeowners bundled in.
    Actually, we have 2 policies since you can only have 4 cars on a policy.
    My Fusion is expensive, almost $120 a month, but we have a lot of coverage.
    I'm working getting one of the kids to get their own insurance.
    It looks like it will be cheaper if they get their own, for some reason.
    One thing I learned from them getting some quotes is that higher liability limits can be cheaper than basic limits!

• explorer4: You have a full plate with 6 vehicles to deal with! I had Progressive for 5 years, and I hated to have too switch but $34 a month savings was just too much to pass up, and Liberty Mutual had better coverage.
    I will also have teen drivers in the future! For now it is just my car and my old '96 Passat TDI that my niece drives at college. She has her own insurance.