Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    For my buddies on this board who had followed my progress after getting hit in my 1996 Accord, I thought I'd let you know that it went as smoothly as I could've ever asked for.

The other driver's insurance covered the entire thing (he DID hit me after all), and I got my car back from the body shop today. Looks as close to perfect as an 11 year old car could look in my opinion. I'm as pleased as punch to have it back, too. I have a 2006, but my '96 is my daily driver into the city to work (yes, with 173k miles).

So, with that, I close this chapter of life with my first car.

Thanks to those who were concerned!
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Perhaps that's because I own a Fusion and not a Camcord - and I didn't feel like going to look up the others. Besides - that wasn't the point.
  • Options
    jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    So long as they still have a good reputation and continue to get good press, I've no doubt the Accord will do well.

I'd put my money on it selling well, but things are different now, than when the last gen was released. the last year or two, honda has been offering great deals on accords, better than I ever remember seeing. those will dissapear. and with the midsize market much more competitive this time, a significant price increase could be trouble. throw into that the fact that being the #2 midsize, every car company is taking direct aim at it and the camry. every comercial you see is basicly "our car is better than the camcord for this reason". and with the competetion holding the line on their prices, honda doesn't want to be know as "the most expensive midsize"

now on the flip side, if they can do like nissan did (the 2007 altima only went up $200 from the 2006 price) they just may pass the camry and take that best selling car spot away from toyota.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's great grad, glad to hear it!!
  • Options
    jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I'll second that. But a 4 cyl Nissan Altima can hang with it. Its that good.

and as an 07 altima 2.5 owner, I'll second that. I'm not going to proclaim it the best I4 out there, but coupled with that CVT, there wont be much difference between it and the 1st or 2nd best four banger out there. driving that thing around, Its sometimes hard to believe its only 4 cylinders. I can't even imagine what the VQ must be like.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    "The reason why the V6 Camry/Accord is sold at less percentage is because of the higher price. A V6 Fusion or Sonata is almost comparable in price to a middle-to-top-of-the-line Accord or Camry. "

BINGO!! This hits it right on the money. The V6 Fusion is a nice fit right in between the I4/V6 CamCord. Price wise you can get an SE V6 Fusion/Milan for less than an I4 AccordLX or I4 Camry LE in my area. The SE comes with more goodies too!. I remember the days when Honda/Toyota's were the "value" leaders. You used to get so much car for far less than a comparable GM or Ford product.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    it isn't selling well

Why on earth do you guys keep saying that? Sales are up from last year and it sold better than projected last year. Capacity at the plant is 300k so they are never going to sell more than about 175k Fusions as long as it is only being built at one plant.

Why are you again bringing the I4 Accord into a discussion about V6 models? You completely changed the subject and didn't answer any of my questions in context. :confuse:

We all know of the Accord's virtues because guys like you drill them into our heads over and over again. All I, and probably some others, ask of you is that you recognize that the other vehicles in this thread have their virtues too and can best the Accord from time to time. Not enough to take over any sales or popularity crowns, but enough to garner good enough sales to start some momentum. As a Honda fan you should be paying close attention to what these other mfrs are doing as well as should HMC.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "Oh really? Why isn't it offered throughout the entire Odyssey range? Have any actual proof? Do you know exactly where it'll be offered on the Accord, whether or not it'll be on the LX or just the EX?"

Honda offers it on the EX Odyssey, not only the top of the line Touring version.

No, I have no proof of whether it will be available on all V6 Accords or only the EX V6 Accord; just like no one has any proof about specs on cars that are not launched yet. What I posted was what I feel Honda will do, just like you post what you feel Madza or Ford 'will' do with the 08 or 09 models. Get it?
  • Options
    Forgot to add these in.. ;)

Also, I thougth Honda didn't need these to sell cars?? :surprise:

"Restrictions Eligible vehicles sold utilizing this incentive program do not qualify for: "2007 Accord 4-cyl Sedan Special AHFC Lease/Purchase Plan" and " 2007 Accord 4-cyl Coupe and 6 cyl (coupe/sedan) Special AHFC Lease/Purchase Plan". See dealer for details.
    Comments Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our Visitor Agreement. "
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Check out my post from earlier (#2568). It is not a "Base" model. It is an EX with heated leather, power doors, 6CD, Three-Zone Climate Control, etc...not a cloth strippo/base model. Honda's website will give you more info than I'm willing to divulge since this is a Sedan thread.

I did, and I did. I just didn't feel like resurrecting the subject and hoped it would go away. ;)
  • Options
    Nice@! Mustang GT.. When my kids are gone and have thier own cars.. The Mustang is going to be my mid-life crises car.. I am thinking of either a White with Blue racing stripe GT, or a Black with Gold racing stripes.. :shades:

Ford needs to come out with variations on the Mustang. Offer a fastback, a California GT version. ect...
  • Options
    "Honda and Toyota have the best 4 cylinder's in the business, and therefore many opt for that engine choice. Ford doesn't have a viable or decent 4 cylinder, so everyone gets the "somewhat decent" V6. "

The 2.3 4cyl in the Fusion is no slouch. Someone here posted some stats on passing and some other performance stats. You may be surprised.. ;) Granted the Toyota/Honda do "better" but not by much. There are also noise stats that may surprise you too.. ;)
  • Options
    Once again the Ford bashing of the cap is in the house..

The 4cyl in the Fusion is not "that bad" Someone here way back in this forum posted stats on the 4cyl vs 4cyl of the Fusion/Accord/Camry. The Fusion is not that far behind, tenths of a second from 45-60 by the way. Also, the noise is closer than you think. My friends Accord 4cyl is buzzy when pushed. This so called "refinement" all these Honda folks talk about is purely an opinion.

So, let me get this straight. The 4cyl 2.6 can "keep up" with a 3.0 V6 Duratec, yet the Duratec 3.0 V6 cannot keep up with the V6's of Accord or Camry when the time spread between them is about the same??? :confuse: My man, you crack me up with how bias and anti-Ford you really are
  • Options
    "The 300/Charger/Magnum are very good. It's the small and midsize DCX cars that aren't good. I would name GM,Ford,Hyundai,Suzuki and Kia as worst."

How is GM/Ford worst? at what?
  • Options
    zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    I'd have to agree...the 4 cylinder in the civic SI is just incredible. It sounds amazing and it is always enticing you to get into the vtec zone where the fun really begins. But driving in my friends Element is not so fun and does not sound nearly as good...but what do you expect for a box on wheels that weighs much more than the Civic.

One thing that I didn't like about my Legacy was how clackity the engine sounded. On the newer subies, they have put much better sound absorbing material so you don't hear it unless you get out of your car, but it always seemed that the boxer engine just didn't hold a candle to the Accord engine in my previous car.

Now that I have the v-6 mazda6, I think this car sounds so much better than the other two cars. While it is quiet when puttering around town, at higher rpms a nice growl comes from the heart of the car. It has a deeper throatier tone to it, especially compared to most 4 cylinders, that builds nicely in volume and tone as power and speed grow. While the 4 cylinder version of the mazda6 was quite fun and just a little more than a second slower than the v-6, it just didn't have the broader torque curve or the sweet sound of the v-6. So I think most consumers who are used to the higher pitched whine of a 4 banger, a nicely tuned v-6 would sound much better to buyers who like the sensory experiences of driving.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I have gotten used to the Legacy sound. I like it, I like the feeling that there is a motor in the front and you can hear it. The engine output shaft is inline with the car (its not transverse mounted engine like most of the cars in the class) and you can feel it torquing a little against its mounts.

I definitely don't see the Legacy as the model of refinement, but I am not ready for the retirement home just yet so having a car that feels like a car doesn't bother me that much. I actually would strongly consider a Legacy 2.5GT sedan but we already have a wagon and I can't bring myself to get two of the same car.

The Contour's little V6 sounded good when it was working hard, but the 4 cylinder SR20 in the older Sentras did too. I think it has a lot to do with the intake and exhaust designs (both cars had Borlas and a CAI).
  • Options
    Honda does not charge extra for this technology, nor will it do so in the Accord.

What I posted was what I feel Honda will do, just like you post what you feel Madza or Ford 'will' do with the 08 or 09 models. Get it?

What you said before was stated as a fact and a certainty when really there is no way for you to know. Nobody has been saying with any certainty or brashness about what Mazda or Ford will do. We have been commenting on the rumors and thinking about what changes we think would improve these cars. Where in your first post did you say or even suggest that there was any doubt?
  • Options
    Sorry, I should have been more clear...my legacy was a 2.5 from 1996. I test drove the 2005 legacy non-gt and it sounded much better and more refined. The thing that I really liked about that car was it's acceleration from a stop...maybe it's a torqueier engine or the awd gives it great grip, but off the line, it was pretty quick. So while the engine is not perfect or the best, the Legacy/ Outback is still a great car that I have not hesitated to recommend to friends.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I didn't mean to make it sound like I was refuting your statement, I think the Subie's motor is a bit less refined feeling than say, the VQ or the Toyota one that Captain likes.
    I just happened to like the way the boxer engine feels in that application, and it has been returning very good fuel economy.

I have no hesitation recommending the Subaru to friends and family, but at the same time, if you don't want AWD and tend to be neglectful of maintenance, I think there are more robust choices.
  • Options
    batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    How is GM/Ford worst? at what?

Midsize for GM:
    W-Body which consists of Midsize cars LaCrosse, Grand Prix and Impala

Platform that is almost 20 years old. V6 Engine which dates back to the 50's unless you pay a lot more and get the V8 engine which has way too much power for a FWD car.
    Junk by todays standards.

Lucerne (H platform) is nose heavy being FWD and having a iron block 3800 engine. High fuel consumption and again an aging platform.

Midsize Ford

I like the Fusion but it doesn't get a 5 star safety ratings that the LX cars have. Engine is kind of weak for a V6.

The 500/Taurus is a disappointment but will improve with the 3.5L engine.

I feel American car manufacturers are best at making RWD cars with big engines. They can't compete with Asians in the lightweight FWD segment.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738

Lucerne (H platform) is nose heavy being FWD and having a iron block 3800 engine. High fuel consumption and again an aging platform.

It's a Cadillac DTS for less money if you get the CXS. V8 engine? Check. Cadillac suspension? Check. Torque steer and nose-heavy feeling gone? Absolutely. There's such a vast difference between the base model they churn out for rental fleets and the CXS that it really drives and feels like two different manufacturers were involved.
  • Options
    ilikecars23ilikecars23 Member Posts: 28
    It's a Cadillac DTS for less money if you get the CXS. V8 engine? Check. Cadillac suspension? Check. Torque steer and nose-heavy feeling gone? Absolutely. There's such a vast difference between the base model they churn out for rental fleets and the CXS that it really drives and feels like two different manufacturers were involved.

It may very well be a cadillac for less money, but a lucerne in CXS V8 trim is dissapointing. The Northstar V8 is dusted by V6 Azera's and Avalons and even a 08 Taurus will probably run neck and neck with it.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Are any of the cars being discussed here in recent posts midsize cars? I thought I was in the wrong forum, and had to double-check the header!
  • Options
    be very nice if we got back to the topic here.
  • Options
    mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Nobody has been saying with any certainty or brashness about what Mazda or Ford will do. We have been commenting on the rumors and thinking about what changes we think would improve these cars. Where in your first post did you say or even suggest that there was any doubt?

Thanks for making my point.

OT, a co-worker, after driving Camrys for the past 10 years or so, just bought a Saturn Aura XR, and hasn't stopped raving about how much BETTER it is than her previous '05 Camry. I had the chance of riding in the Aura last evening, and it's definitely a smooth operator. The V6 is very polished, no NVH issues to speak of, and as quiet as a Lexus IMO. The interior fit-and-finish was excellent, and the seats were very comfortable without inducing sleep. The ride was smooth, but it still doesn't handle as well as my 6 does. I was impressed.

The CamCords may not be concerned about the Fusion, but between the Sonata (which offers an excellent product for an excellent price), and the Aura (a smooth, quiet, capable, well-built vehicle), they should be a little concerned, IMO.
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Got questions...what model of Camry(s) did your co-worker own for the past 10 years or so? Was it

1. V6 or I4?
    2. CE, LE, XLE or SE?

Not trying to bash the Aura here and indeed it is a great effort from GM but it is not even in the same zip code with the Lexus in any category.
  • Options
    a great effort from GM but it is not even in the same zip code with the Lexus in any category.

The new Ford Edge is quieter than a Lexus RX350. It happens.
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "Honda and Toyota have the best 4 cylinder's in the business, and therefore many opt for that engine choice. Ford doesn't have a viable or decent 4 cylinder, so everyone gets the "somewhat decent" V6. "

That would have been a good observation years ago, but now there are some excellent four cylinder engines including GM's Echotech which is breaking or has broken all of Honda's performance related records and is the most popular four cylinder in drag racing. I will take the Echotech if given a choice for durability, longevity.
  • Options
    Midsize for GM:
    W-Body which consists of Midsize cars LaCrosse, Grand Prix and Impala

"Platform that is almost 20 years old. V6 Engine which dates back to the 50's unless you pay a lot more and get the V8 engine which has way too much power for a FWD car.
    Junk by todays standards.

Lucerne (H platform) is nose heavy being FWD and having a iron block 3800 engine. High fuel consumption and again an aging platform."

Your observations are all ill conceived and way off the truth. The previously standard 3.8 L engine is a different engine put on the market in the 1980's. It had always been known as a best in class but is now dated by comparison with some of the high tech engines and has been and is being replaced. But that doesn't mean it was bad. It was replaced by the 3.5 L engine with optional 3.6 L and 3.9 L engines available. The V8 is not a big extra expense option like a Lexus or other car would be. You can get a V8 equipt Impala/Lucerne/Grand Prix for around $30,000 last I looked. How many four door cars do you know of that can be had with a V8 starting around $30,000? You say a front wheel drive can't handle a V8, says who? Cadillac/Buick/Oldsmobile had used them from the 1960's to the 1980's. I have driven those cars and they were fine. For drag racing that would not be a good choice, but for everyday normal driving you wouldn't notice the difference. A suppose an aging platform doesn't make a car bad especially when you have such a nice quiet ride and very respectible handling for a large car when equipt with the right suspension. The only thing I see as junk is your post.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    How many four door cars do you know of that can be had with a V8 starting around $30,000?
    why on earth would you want them when you can buy something for the same price (the Azera, Avalon, and Maxima come to mind) that will not only outrun (in the case of the Northstar and/or damn near run with (the Impalas/GPs) AND save you several mpgs while they do it. Attacking deficiencies with displacement IS something that 'Detroit' has always been good at, BUT it is also something that doesn't work real well as gas gets up to $4-5/gallon.
    The Impala SS BTW is a torque steering handful with all that weight and HP/torque hitting those particular front wheels, guess the new 4000lb+ RWD model will address that issue at the expense of even more gas...
  • Options
    ilikecars23ilikecars23 Member Posts: 28
    Ford cars are competitive, their engines are NOT

I would say fords new DT35 is competitive, having the pleause of sampling this engine in a MKZ, its very smooth, potent and polished. It deffinately moves out with authority in a vehicle the size of a MKZ, but when anchored to a heavy Taurus you will get diluted 0-60 times.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "What you said before was stated as a fact and a certainty when really there is no way for you to know. Nobody has been saying with any certainty or brashness about what Mazda or Ford will do. We have been commenting on the rumors and thinking about what changes we think would improve these cars. Where in your first post did you say or even suggest that there was any doubt?"

So for all your posts do you put the words "I think" as suffix or prefix? No. Everytime you say the 09 Mazda 6 will have a great ride (for example) do you say, 'I think?' No.

What I stated was what I felt Honda would do, and I don't feel the need to put 'IMO' everytime I post. There are a lot of posts I see here on what Mazda or Ford will do, and not many of them have 'IMO' in them.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    finally an intelligent post on this subject - you may be right, the 3.5 might just be competitive, I've read some conflicting reviews on the engine's 'smoothness' but the HP is sure there. It's a shame that we had to wait so long for it and that they can't seem to put the thing in the Fusion.
    The Taurus BTW should be competitively quick (sub 7 0-60s?) in its class, it doesn't really weigh that much more than the Fusion. The Fusion OTH should easily crack into the mid 6s - IF and when Ford can ever get the engine into the Fusion instead of another 'stopgap' DT 3.0.
    What our resident 'Ford guy' posters don't seem to understand is that I'm all for Ford (and GM and DCX) getting some better engines in their products, obviously more and better choices for all of us! :)
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    What our resident 'Ford guy' posters don't seem to understand is that I'm all for Ford (and GM and DCX) getting some better engines in their products, obviously more and better choices for all of us!

That's better. Cause if you go on to state something derisive, but true, about Ford, apparently your post will be deleted.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    280 HP with 21/30 (new EPA standard type mileage) with regular gasoline.

This would devastate all of the other competitors in the mid-size segment.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Should we all start wildly speculating about future products?
  • Options
    Well, my speculation and "assumptions" are based in the fact that those would be the NUMBERS any logical person would come up with if they looked at what Honda did with the last generation Accord in terms of improving HP and Gas Mileage at the same time.

This would just be the same size leap as "last time."
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Haven't we already started speculating talking about the 2009 Fusion?
  • Options
    I don't remember the model designations, but I do remember that her previous Camry before the '05 was the 4-cyl, and the '05 had the V6.

Not trying to bash the Aura here and indeed it is a great effort from GM but it is not even in the same zip code with the Lexus in any category.

That's your opinion. AFAIC, the Aura is not only a "great effort from GM", but it's a great effort from ANY automaker that can stand toe-to-toe with the class leaders. When a former Camry owner, who swore up and down she'd never buy "American" again, decides on an Aura after test-driving the other offerings (Camry, Accord, Altima, Milan), that's saying something.
  • Options
    I haven't seen anything about the 09 Fusion having X hp and getting Y/Z mileage.
  • Options
    Well, my speculation and "assumptions" are based in the fact that those would be the NUMBERS any logical person would come up with if they looked at what Honda did with the last generation Accord in terms of improving HP and Gas Mileage at the same time.

I'm a very logical person and I wouldn't have come up with those numbers. Maybe you meant any logical Honda fanatic?
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Perhaps as far as you and your colleague are concerned, but not as far as one of edmunds.com's editors is:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/Comments/552#cm

http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/Comments/555#cm

CR doesn't rate the Aura very highly either, FWIW. I personally would MUCH rather have a Fusion...
  • Options
    Perhaps as far as you and your colleague are concerned, but not as far as one of edmunds.com's editors is...CR doesn't rate the Aura very highly either.

Fortunately, my colleague and I can form our own opinions and buy what WE want from our own test-drives and observations, and NOT from what some (biased or unbiased) publication tells us.

Unlike some of the lemmings out there, I personally can't stand CR, and some of their opinions are so laughable that I highly doubt there's a car nut on their staff. They've got plenty of nuts, but... :)
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    And I've driven both the Aura and the Fusion (along with the Camcords), I'd much prefer the Fusion, despite its lower output.

Also note the designation "FWIW" in my post.

~alpha
  • Options
    No, if your post is part of a string of disruptive off-topic posts, it gets deleted. ;)
  • Options
    If she "swore" to never buy American again, and then did so with the Aura this year, she must be a very dishonest person going back on her word, and sworn testimony. ;)
  • Options
    "The Impala SS BTW is a torque steering handful with all that weight and HP/torque hitting those particular front wheels, guess the new 4000lb+ RWD model will address that issue at the expense of even more gas...

As I said, unless you are drag racing the front drive car with V8, it is as normal as any other car. My friends dad had a 1973 Eldorado convertible with the 500 ci engine that definately had torque steer when peeling out, but his father only let him drive it on his birthday, and his father didn't have a traction problem when he drove it himself. Buick put a V8 engine in the car to attract the kind of buyers that want a V8. Heck, you can get a four cylinder car to outperform a V8 car, so to each his own. On the Impala forums those who drive there V8 SS cars hard have noticed the torque steer, but you get used to it. In another year or so the Impala/Grandprix (G8) will be going to rear-wheel drive for people like you. The Buick might as well stay front wheel for the extra security in winter traction.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Sitting in an Aura on the show room floor is one thing. Driving it 10,000 is another. But the true test is 4+ years and 75,000+ miles later. That's where the Accord shines. The Aura is an unknown. I like the Aura initially, but I don't understand this automatic upgrade to CamCord contender right out of the gate.
  • Options
    urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    And I've driven both the Aura and the Fusion (along with the Camcords), I'd much prefer the Fusion, despite its lower output.

Also note the designation "FWIW" in my post.

FWIW, my wife and I are the proud owners of a V6 2007 SEL AWD Fusion and like most everything about it EXCEPT for its low in-city gasoline mileage, 14.8 mpg, after six months and 3,500 miles. We would definitely buy another SEL Fusion again but probably the 160-horsepower I4 engine.

Fully 95 percent of our mileage is stop-'n'-go, short hop, in-city driving. Even our 2000 Ford Focus station wagon, with a four-cylinder, 2.0-liter Zetec, only delivers 22-23 mpg under these same conditions.

The Fusion is a fine mid-size sedan with a host of creature comforts and nice touches. The fit and finish -- inside and out -- is perfect, superb, couldn't be any better. The car handles like it is glued to rails and the 221-horsepower Duratec V6 has ample power.

We did a lot of Internet research before we bought the car but never actually test drove any of its competitors. That is probably not typical.
  • Options
    nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    Has anyone driven this car or found any reviews on it as to how it drives, it seems like no magazines have tested this version. The 252HP 3.6L/6A seems to be the closest thing to what the new 08 V6 Chevy Malibu will drive like, since they are on identical platforms.