Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    your projected specs seem quite possible to me as well. How those specs. would 'devastate' the 268-270hp and 22/31-20/29 already available in the Camry and the Altima is a little far fetched.
    was under the impression that the Malibu was going to be closer to the Aura XR (in top trims). Have driven the XR, and besides liking how it looked and a general improvement in the fit/finish dept (still below Camcords, IMO), I found the 3.6 to be an apparently very solid engine. Smooth, easily revved, quiet, and good power, of course - some Nissan-like torque steer, however.
    Pontiac has always favored the 'sport' side of things so I'm not sure how the G6 is related to the XR or FTM the Malibu.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Maybe all mention of outside comments, articles and reviews should be banned. This way all of us are only voicing are opinion on the matter, there wouldn't be any facts or outside authorities to lend some credence to the discussion.
    I personally can't stand CR, and some of their opinions are so laughable that I highly doubt there's a car nut on their staff.
    I think there is no doubt that CR has its own motivations and priorities in evaluating a car - perhaps - safety, reliability, and economy, in no particular order.
    But, I also think that there is a very strong case to be made for the fact that CR (and its ratings) are likely the single most influential publication to the average car buyer. Given that and the fact that they are not beholden to anybody or anything for whatever 'opinions' they do have, you are welcome to form your own opinions and/or have a different set of priorites - as I would bet they would tell you as well.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    True, the guy that bought my 50 month old 65K mile '03 Accord Coupe V6 from me told his wife "the car drives like it is brand new."

Couldn't of said it better myself to explain how the car holds up over time. Not just drives, but looks, feels, and sounds.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    True... CR's priorities are not all out performance and track speed. CR's priorities lie in ease of use, overall design quality, build quality, reliability, safety, and fuel economy. Fuel Economy could carry over to show they do look at "value" and pricing to determine a "good" deal.

Time is money, and frequent breakdowns and warranty visits cost both time and money (the gas you waste driving to the dealership every 2 months).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Those EPA ratings you listed for the Camry and Altima are the OLD EPA system. I said the NEW EPA mileage system, so take 10-15% off your numbers.
    I think that we are rapidly approaching the limits (from a torque perspective) of FWD platforms although a few mfgrs like Honda (in the TL-S thru throttle programming) and Toyota (in both the Avalon and Camry thru tranny gear programming) have seemed to minimize the problem. I agree with you about the winter traction benefits of having 60% of your weight over the drive wheels, but also believe as we make an inevitable switch back to RWD designs that a mass driver retraining program might be needed - there are an awful lot of folks out on our roads that have never driven anything but a FWD car.
    I don't understand why everyone says CR slammed the Aura so bad. The score on MSN Auto's Consumer Reports Link shows a score of 70 which falls squarely into the "very good" category.

It is not a low score by any stretch of the imagination.

It just isn't up to the league of Accord, Camry, TL, Altima scores.
    no you didn't say 'new' EPA but it is something that maybe I should have assummed given the effective date of the new EPA system. 280hp and what effectively would be something like 23/34 today would be an accomplishment - guess we'll see because you are right the new Camry ratings should be in the 20/28 category.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    True, the guy that bought my 50 month old 65K mile '03 Accord Coupe V6 from me told his wife "the car drives like it is brand new."

so will most cars if you take care of them. I have a 9 yr old nissan that looks and runs as well as the day I bought it. and it has 145k on it.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    True... CR's priorities are not all out performance and track speed. CR's priorities lie in ease of use, overall design quality, build quality, reliability, safety, and fuel economy. Fuel Economy could carry over to show they do look at "value" and pricing to determine a "good" deal.

I have no problem with their product evaluations on particular vehicles where they do a full report. I like that they measure leg room and cargo and towing capacity, although that information is on the manufacturer's website :confuse: And I like how they run them into things at 5 mph to see how the bumpers hold up and what not; although that information is available from the IIHS :confuse:

I like that they mention how requirements to install an infant or child seat. I like the subjective commentary on ease of use, although I like to evaluate on my own as well.

I think the only thing I pretty much ignore is the survey responses for reliability and what not.
    Maybe CR also understands that 'value' may not have a whole lot to do with initial price.
    Think that you'll have a difficult time finding any of these cars these days in the shop every 2 months! Things have improved substantially in that regard in recent years, so much so that reliability over even the first 100k is assumed. It's the 2nd (or 3rd) 100k that separates the men from the boys, a number that very few of us that buy new cars will ever see.
    I think the only thing I pretty much ignore is the survey responses for reliability and what not.
    that curious, being about the only thing (other than measured performance figures) that is NOT subjective.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    actually, go back an read what I have written...when referring to something that does not exist yet, there will always be qualifiers. why? because I don't know, and I won't pretend to know more than I don't.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Car and Driver were not as impressed with the Aura's interior as some. I guess it depends on what you compare the interior to.

"As we said, almost right, until the sponges in GM’s Cheapness Department got to the project. Although styled well, the interior is executed with hard plastic, glaring panel gaps, ragged mold lines, and the scrape-scraping of a gear selector that slides through its range like a screwdriver through sand. Have GM’s cheapness freaks ever sat in an Accord?"

When you compare it to a real nice car, it comes up shy.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I agree totally with jd10013. Timely preventive maintenance, attention to detail, and lots of TLC will do wonders for extending life of a car. I have a 22 year old SAAB 900 that drives, and runs, the same as it did when I drove it off the SAAB dealer's lot in April 1985. No squeaks, no clunks, and the car handles just as well as it did on Day 1.
    until the sponges in GM’s Cheapness Department got to the project
    the enthusiast mags do have a way with words don't they? CR would say something like 'ill fitting parts and pieces, and generally 'subpar' fit and finish and probably wouldn't mention the Accord at all. Have read the same thing about the Fusion interior referencing its use of 80's vintage LED displays, an interior that I personally found agreeable and 'un-Ford-like'. Regard this kind of thing in the same way as exterior styling - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    OT, a co-worker, after driving Camrys for the past 10 years or so, just bought a Saturn Aura XR, and hasn't stopped raving about how much BETTER it is than her previous '05 Camry

I hope so! The Aura is new for 2006. That Camry debuted more than five years ago.
    a co-worker, after driving Camrys for the past 10 years or so, just bought a Saturn Aura XR, and hasn't stopped raving about how much BETTER it is than her previous '05 Camry
    60 hp or so will do that won't it? Also a part of human nature - your coworker WANTS to rave about something she just paid all that money for, for her own gratifications (and ego) as well as those reassurances that might come from you when you nod approvingly. This would be why those 'initial' satisfaction surveys need to be taken with a grain of salt...
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I have a 22 year old SAAB 900 that drives, and runs, the same as it did when I drove it off the SAAB dealer's lot in April 1985. No squeaks, no clunks, and the car handles just as well as it did on Day 1.

The thing for me was, for the first 10 years or so I was driving, I was always in one POS after another. couldn't afford 2 new cars, and the newest was always driven by my wife. As I got older, and more affluent, I was able to pay off my wifes car early and get another new one while her's was in good shape, with low milage. Well, after 10yrs of driving crap, (and boy did I have some crappy cars) I realy appreciated having a new one, and took very good care of it. did all the required stuff right on time, washed every week or two, waxed 2-3 times a year, treated all the interior every couple months, and never allowed my kids to bring food or drinks in it. As a result, the car was in such good shape that when I bought my alti in feb, just couldn't bear to trade my old one in. the car just ran and looked too good to sell.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    personally, I like reading CR just like I like reading the opinions on this forum... much of it I disagree with, but I like getting the perspective of others, especially from those who know what they are talking about. it seems to me though when I read car and driver, motortrend, or autoweek (among others), I find that those articles have more detail and depth than CR. CR's reviews seem to cover cars for non auto enthusiasts... all about practicality and how "appliance" like a car is. of course these things are important, but I find that car reviews in edmunds, for example (shameless plug :blush: ) much more well rounded and I get a better feel of where the car fits in it's segment. if CR were to review a ferrari, I bet they would say that there wasn't enough trunk space, the car was too loud, and the mpg weren't as good as other "sports" cars.

and the idea that just because CR does not take ads does not mean they are unbiased. everyone has their bias, and reputation will always play a role in developing opinions.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I actually saw my first 08 Taurus on my way home from work today in red. The new styling is an improvement and no-way can reviewers complain anylonger for vanilla styling.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Actually I agree 100% with what you posted. CR does have a bias and their bias is different than C&D bias, edmunds' bias etc.

To me a most of supposed studies, statistics and reviews have no relevance when I buy a car. I don't care how many awards JD Powers gives the manufacturer, if the car is COTY, how many black marks CR gives it or if CR says the trunk is too small. You never really know about the ownership experience until years after you buy the car and it's a fact of life for lemons occur in every manufacturer. In general, I believe you get what you pay for. One mans no-frills stripper is another mans golden carriage.

The only exception to the above comment is end of year clearance sales, where manufacturers provide incentives to move the cars. If one shops judiciously a good value can be had.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    heard of a new 2.5 4cyl engine producing 170-180HP and about the same torque for the 09 Fusion? I am reading in other forums about this and noone has yet linked me to an article or review about this. More speculation? can anyone link me?
    and the idea that just because CR does not take ads does not mean they are unbiased. everyone has their bias, and reputation will always play a role in developing opinions.

At least CR's biases are personal (like yours and mine), and not bought and paid for. CR treats car evaluation like Joe Friday, "Just the facts maam". The advertising mags seem to only get critical (less bias) when doing a comparison test. When they do an individual car review, it sounds like an endorsement, that's been paid for.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "I actually saw my first 08 Taurus on my way home from work today in red. The new styling is an improvement and no-way can reviewers complain anylonger for vanilla styling."

Did you mean new name? This car has been out for what, three years.

I wish them luck especially since I recently bought a lot of Ford stock at a real cheap rate. The Five Hundred, Taurus, or whatever they call it still looks odd to me. It's bubble top needs to be chopped 1 or 2 inches to look nicer. I don't think I could live with the looks as it is.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >At least CR's biases are personal.. and not bought and paid for.

I've always wondered about that because of their past reluctance to change as cars changed.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I hope so! The Aura is new for 2006. That Camry debuted more than five years ago.

Not according to some people around here, that blindly think that a 8-year-old CamCord is still better than the brand-new "American" cars built today, without even stepping foot in any of them, or taking them out for test-drives.

No grad, you're not one of them... :)
    60 hp or so will do that won't it? Also a part of human nature - your coworker WANTS to rave about something she just paid all that money for, for her own gratifications (and ego) as well as those reassurances that might come from you when you nod approvingly.

Considering how she drives, HP has nothing to do with it. She WANTS to brag because she test-drove everything else out there, including the new Camry, and feels she made the right choice because SHE loved it more than the Camry.

She doesn't care about my approval (or anyone else, for that matter). In fact, when she started her search a few months ago, I recommended the Camry and Altima to her. Apparently, her husband was pulling for the Camry as well, but she did her own thing, and bought what SHE liked. And after having sat and rode in one, I agree that she made the right decision, and I too like the Aura very much as well.

Egos have nothing to do with it, unless one's not very confident in their own.
    Did you mean new name? This car has been out for what, three years.

Check his post again. I don't see anything else mentioned but the new styling, which indeed is new for '08, as well as the 3.5L and a new name.

I wish them luck especially since I recently bought a lot of Ford stock at a real cheap rate. The Five Hundred, Taurus, or whatever they call it still looks odd to me. It's bubble top needs to be chopped 1 or 2 inches to look nicer. I don't think I could live with the looks as it is.

And who's fault is it that you bought stock in a company in which you find the styling of it's products "odd"? I'm sure I can speak for everyone else here when I say that that last thing I'd do is invest in a company who's in dire straits and whose product I'm not particularly fond of.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    I hope so! The Aura is new for 2006.

Grad, is that a typo? I thought the Aura was new this year, 2007.
    "Egos have nothing to do with it, unless one's not very confident in their own."

I would also drive the Saturn over the Camry any day. The Camry is an old peoples car.
    "Check his post again. I don't see anything else mentioned but the new styling, which indeed is new for '08, as well as the 3.5L and a new name."

That new styling, looks like the same car from 3-years-ago other than new headlights and a grill on it, big deal. The rest of the car is the same. What about the bubble top roof?

"And who's fault is it that you bought stock in a company in which you find the styling of it's products "odd"?"

I don't see a fault in supporting a company with a funny looking car when there are other vehicles in their line-up that show some promise including the upcoming F series trucks. My hopes an aspirations are not banked on that silly looking Five Hundred/err Tuarus. The stock was cheap because of the poor direction of the company and products. They can only get better but I don't think this car Taurus/500 is the answer, but maybe they will find buyers? That will be a bonus to me and my bottom line. People who buy stock and have a diversified portfolio don't necessarily have to believe or like everything about company they invest in as long as it shows profit/potential. If you have a diversified portfolio (15 + different companies) do you really know all the products they produce and use them?
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    The designer of the previous generation VW Passat designed the Five Hundred, now Taurus. You should see a distinct family resemblance. Not everyone wants vertically-challenged side windows like the Chrysler 300, and many new cars, including the Aura.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Does anyone know:

Who was the first to put five blades on their Fusion, Gillette or Ford?

The Fusion was out first... or was it the Fusion? I can't remember, anyways besides having the same name, they do kinda look alike to me.

Thank you for that; things were too serious. I wonder if there was patent infringement there. :D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    AFAIK, you are correct, 2007 it is.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    According to Nissannews.com All 08 Altima sedans add the following over 2007 models.

Standard ABS on 2.5 models

Standard splash guards
    Available Xm radio on all trim levels.

I am happy that the once hard to find ABS will now be standard...took Nissan long enough.

Standard ABS on 2.5 models
    Standard splash guards

I am happy that the once hard to find ABS will now be standard...took Nissan long enough.

Yeah I agree, that makes it go back on the shopping list. And splash guards make my heart go pitter patter.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Ah. I think I know what happened in my weary brain -

The only comparison test I've read of the Aura put it up against five other competitors, one of which included an Accord SE, that's very similar to my Accord EX (which is a 2006). In my head, it was 2006 vs. 2006.

These days, no cars "debut" in the model year in which they are designated. Look at the Camry. It has been out for what, 15 months, ALL of which are 2007 models!

Thanks for the correction though. :)
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905

XM is a beautiful thing. I have it in my car, but not in my wife's. When we're in her car listening to the radio, it feels so ancient.
    Is there no limit on how early a company can start selling a car designated for the next model year? I don't think you should be able to sell a car before 7/06, and call it an 07 model.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    IIRC, the gov't says that manufacturers are allowed to start selling upcoming models beginning January 1 of the year before the model year designation. The reason for this has to do with EPA emissions and mileage ratings. So after January 1, 2007 a new model can be called a 2008 model year vehicle if the manufacturer so desires. Some manufacturers also do this so that they can have extended sales periods of vehicles to make their sales volume appear higher. Then again, I might not be remembering it correctly. This old brain ain't what it used to be! :cry:;)
    Some manufacturers also do this so that they can have extended sales periods of vehicles to make their sales volume appear higher.

Exactly, and it also makes the car seem newer than it actually is. We are only halfway through 07, and some 07 Camry's are more than a year old.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    The following is from Wikipedia:

The model year of a product is a number used to describe approximately when a product was produced. However, the model year and the actual year of production don't always coincide.

Automobiles

In the United States, automobile model years traditionally start in the third quarter of the preceding year. In other cases products of a previous model year can continue production, especially if a newer model hasn't yet been released. In that case, the model year remains the same until a new model is introduced. This is to ensure that the model will be seen by the public and will actually sell an amount of vehicles before a new vehicle model is produced and people will look at the newer model rather than the previous one.

In the United States, for regulation purposes, government authorities allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 2 of the previous calendar year.
    SO very true!!! Initial satisfaction surveys suffer from the strongest influences in human nature, ego and the desire to have spent your money well. The complete lemon I bought in the mid-Nineties.... actually received good reviews from even me..... initially! ;)

It took a few repair bills and tow trucks to turn on the lights on what had just happened.
    I LOVE the fact that CR is the only review source that would criticize a new Ferrari for lack of trunk space, running too loudly, and not getting enough MPG!

That is the essence of fair, consistent reviews, across the board, no matter what the price.

The ultimate "perfect" car would have decent trunk space, get great MPG, and if it is loud, would be a "pleasing" sound, and only mainly when your accelerating quickly, not just loud and annoyous at idle.

CR does look at the fact that "30 MPG is excellent for a powerful V6, vs. 40 MPG being excellent for a 4 banger." But all in all, even a 400 HP supercar should get good mileage in a perfect world.
    She might be happy with her Aura right now.... maybe even for a period of 3 years. But watch out when that warranty expires and the car goes to hell in typical domestic fashion.

WATCH OUT!!!

Ask her how she likes her Aura at 60,000 miles!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    :sick: >maybe even for a period of 3 years. But watch out when that warranty expires and the car goes to hell in typical domestic fashion.

The warranty is 100,000 miles. :blush:

:surprise: Such a broad brush. Maybe off topic but I'll bite. I've been amazed at the assumptions made by people who haven't owned a domestic car in the 90s and later who try to make them seem unreliable. Perhaps that's better saved for some of the foreign brands riding on their reputation who have had problems with their redesigns in the last few years. ;)

Overall I agree with a post in some discussion I saw recently that if you take good care of a domestic just the way some take good care of the foreign product and you'll get the same results. If you don't take good care of the oil changes and maintenance schedule with a foreign brand you'll get the same result as you get when you don't take care of the domestic. I saw a Honda Accord knocking it's way home that was a few years old. I saw a wrecker dragging it away a few days later. The lady probably didn't take care of it--it was a model before 03 but I don't know the exact year but it was less than 10 years old. :confuse:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,