Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members

Comments

• Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Thanks, nvy. Hutch, I thought you'd appreciate his fine taste in Subaru models.

..Mike

• Options
    dsackmandsackman Member Posts: 145
    Thank you for the responses on the full-size spare.
    Robert:- My point exactly. The only problem is that the USA models have a larger tire, that is the reason why they do not fit.
    Ross:- Yes, the full size spare was discussed on this board a while back. The result was that a full size spare may fit if deflated, and that the tire can be inflated when required. This was not deemed to be a good solution. The spare Patti may get will probably be a space saver, and this does fit the wheel-well.
    Ashish:- Exactly, the Subaru is a light off-road vehicle and people do encounter rocks and such far from civilization. And then you are stuck with the space-saver and nowhere to put the full-size wheel.
    Patti, from the Subaru perspective; do you have any suggestions what to do with the full-size wheel when it is flat. Also, can the space saver really give you the peace of mind when far from civilization?
    Any additional suggestions from anyone will be appreciated.

Daniel
    '01 Forester, S+, Auto, Silver
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    My interpretation of the point about the flat full-sized tire/wheel fitting in the tire well was that the FLAT tire (the damaged item that caused the need for a tire change) would fit in the well, which if true means it could be transported without landing in anyone's lap.

I doubt this would work with the monster tire/wheel combo on a Z3 - golly, another advantage for Subaru!

Cheers,
    WDB
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I think you missed my point. If the tire has just gotten a flat, it will fit in the well. No one will have to hold it on his/her lap nor will you have to tie it on outside.

Ross
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    didn't read WDB's post. Exactly my point.

Ross
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    If you haven't already seen this, what do you think?

It looks a little bit strange, IMHO, but nice nonetheless. I think it's probably my favourite Isuzu design (aesthetically) to date.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It looked pretty good until I read it would have a live rear axle. Sorry, I want both IFS & IRS on my SUVs, not just IFS.

Bob
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    This Saturday, my wife and I were walking back to my Forester when we spotted another couple circling my vehicle and checking it out. I could hear them saying "it's nice" as they walked around it. When I got up to them, they smiled from ear to ear and peppered me with questions on how much I liked it.

Amazing. Two and 1/2 years after I get it and people still do that. What a vehicle. :)

Ken
  • Options
    mikef11mikef11 Member Posts: 74
    Dan,

No, I have never tried the green slime or the emergency tire repair cans - I've never had the need to try them.

I agree with you that if you are taking the car off-road, then an emergency spare just won't do. At least in the station wagon, there is lots of room for a full size spare inside, or on the roof rack; I don't know how much room the Sedan has in the trunk.

I guess in the end you have to weigh off your desire for a full size spare vs what the competitors offer and pick the vehicle that is best for you.

MikeF
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    This is what our professional off-road guru recommends for punctures when off-roading. He also discusses the disadvantages of the spare tire in a can product. Also check out the "How to plug a punctured tire" section.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's ok, but I don't like it. Once again like 99% of the other SUV manufacturers come out with an astetically pleasing vehicle that can't hold Jack! Just like the durango curves, this one will have far less usable space than my trooper because it isn't boxy... Other than that the vehicle is a trooper so it will be reliable, and powerful. I find the Trooper to be ideal, and the live rear axle isn't that bad. Mine handles like a charm wet or dry the AWD is awsome. I would love to see a larger boxier Trooper like the Land Cruiser vehicle nice and boxy!

I personally like the vehicross for a sporty vehicle, very fast and handles like a dream!

-mike
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    You've got S+ silver auto -- and you want to dump it? You must love H6 tremendously... or is something wrong with your Forester? How 'bout selling it to me for 1/2 price ;-)? We can always find a good use for another Forester in the family...

-- Kate
    Forester'01, S+ silver auto (sounds familiar? ;-)
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I searched subaru web site, but could not find this info... does anyone know where can I sign up for subaru master card?
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I crack up at all the talk of a $30 grand Soob, while noone fliches at a higher priced VW SloMotion.

In Brazil VW has a Hyundai image (i.e. entry level), and when they tried to sell the Eurovan people laughed at the asking price. It was the first VeeDub over $30k USD.

Mark - great story. Can you get a photo of that hill next time you go? We'll christen it "Forester Hill".

Bob: I wonder how many Carova residents drive Subarus. I'll have to pick up that issue.

174lb-ft at 2200rpm. That was the figure I was looking for ealier. That's good low end torque, guys.

Daniel: I'd put the flat on the roof, though my Forester has rails. If you carry a bag and something to keep the paint from scratching, you could secure it nicely.

Mike: smart kid! (Forester) I don't ever (Forester) pass on (Forester) subliminal messages (Forester)! ;)

Joe - the plastic cover under the engine does have slots to change the oil without removing it. You could get away with it, but it would be messy. You can't control where the leftover oil from the filter spills is why.

Paisan - I laughed when you said you thought the Axiom was not boxy enough for you! I guess all things are relative!

Patti: hmm, have any errands to run in the DC area? The kids must see the monuments, yeah! It's your history!

My question: is the LL Bean noticeably faster than your GT (5 speed?) off the line, and in passing?

-juice
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Darn - I wish I had thought of a quick trip to DC this past weekend!!

Yes, believe it or not, the Bean car was faster off the line (automatic and all) from my 5-speed. My initial reaction was that it was slower as I was merging onto an interstate until I looked down and realized that I was already pegging 80 merging off the ramp. The acceleration was so smooth, it crept up on me.

The car also drew a lot of attention on the highway and in parking lots. I went to my son's football game and when it was over, I had a small crowd around my car. One was a potential owner who was checking it out and he got a few more to come over and then, the players followed their parents.

I looked over to see my son approaching his bus with rolled eyes - not more car talk! I got out of there after about 45 minutes of folks checking out every aspect. However, no one was allowed to drive it. I told them I was saving that for you, Juice!
  • Options
    My dad's OBLtd is also deceptively quiet at speed. Watch the tickets, folks.

What a cool gig. Great job. You deserve it, too.

That's right, I got first dibs!

-juice
  • Options
    Could this be where next year's vacation rental home is going to be?

Bob
  • Options
    Actually, the place we went to belongs to my cousin's husband's uncle, so we'll end up there again (we got a big price break).

Next time I'd like to explore a bit more, so that article will come in handy.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    It appears that vacationing on the Outer banks has become yet another prerequisite to being a Soob owner (my legal name change to "Dave" is still pending). Anyway, we too just got back after having a great time. We stayed at a beach house in Salvo just south of where Juice was. While there, I did see one Forester on the beach (no it wasn't Juice's....we were there a week latter). The boss (read: wife) wouldn't allow me to drive ours in the fun stuff, but maybe after I show her Juice's pictures she'll relent for next year. Weather wasn't as perfect as Juice experienced as we had remnants of both tropical storms Gordon and Helene to deal with. However on the plus side, the surf (6-8') kicked up by said storms was great for grown men to play in. We devised a great game with a rubber football: while in the surf zone, one guy would throw the football to the next guy, timing the throw so that the ball arrived simultaneously with the next breaking wave. I got hammered pretty good several times resulting in: swallowing a couple of gallons of seawater while bouncing along the ocean floor until eventually getting deposited on the beach. Haven't had that much fun in the ocean since I was a kid!

-Frank P.
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Noticed the recent threads and have to add that my wife and I have been vacationing at the Banks (Rodanthe) every fall since '97. Last year Dennis chased us out, though. This year we won't be making that trip - we're set to go to London instead.

Patti - got your message. Susan has been following up as well. Beans didn't have the necessary parts so they'll be hanging on to it for a couple of days - just as well as I forgot to give them the lug lock this AM (had it in my raincoat pocket)! Loaner is a Mercury Sable. I will keep in touch.

Thanks again,
    Ed
  • Options
    OBX is Subaru 101. You need it to graduate with a BS (Bachelor of Subaru) degree.

Bob
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    A fully inflated stock tire fits in the wheel of my impreza, but the trunk "floor" doesn't fit flush over it.

I haven't had a flat since I was 16. I've actually daily driven two cars with no spare at all.

-Colin
  • Options
    you're only 17. (Just joking!)

Bob
  • Options
    I really wish Subaru would address this matter. Here they advertise all over the place about Subaru's great traction, luring customers to go "somewhat" off road, and then give them a spare tire that's more at home at Dunkin Donuts, than in the Outback (pun intended)!

This and the low trailer-tow rating are my two biggest pet peeves with Subaru.

Bob
  • Options
    The towing capacity is ridiculous...

-mike
  • Options
    barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    and the Subaru 201 class is certainly in the great Pacific NW (incls B.C.).....advance to this class if you dare! :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    docdoowopdocdoowop Member Posts: 6
    Of course it happened with only 9k miles on our
    '99 Forester L. Oblique angle at 30 mph with a
    9 year old Accord...whose driver tried to turn left in front of us. No injuries, but $4300 damage to the left front. Question: The shop says the frame will need some straightening, and
    my other half says she questions the mechanical
    integrity of the car after repair. We plan to
    keep it at least as long as our '91 Loyale, which
    it replaced. Do we have anything to worry about,
    long term? Maybe we should get an '01 and move
    up two model years for $3500 or so. (Insurance
    is covering 100% of the repair.) Thoughts?
  • Options
    gatorbandgatorband Member Posts: 12
    As a soon to be proud papa of my first child (due in mid Nov), as well as my first soob (2001 OB(hopefully due in next few weeks)), I need some help from those of you who own 2000 & 01 OBs and have infants & small children. My wife & I are currently shopping for travel systems & regular front-facing car seats and would like to know what models/brands other OB owners have used and would recommend. Also, do you position your seats in middle of the back seat or to either side & why? I know that middle is preferred, but am concerned about which models will fit there. (I'm not interested in the integrated child seat option when buying the car though.)

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Stephen

PS: Thanks a bunch to those of you who responded to my earlier Firestone tire question on the Dealer/pricing board. I currently have Michelins on my wife's car & am VERY happy with them.
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    I've got a Legacy Wagon and a doughnut...

Frank
  • Options
    and my other half says she questions the mechanical integrity of the car after repair.

There is no logical recourse for that line of thinking. BUT, if your wife *feels* uncomfortable in it and you can't convince her otherwise then that's that.

There is very little question in one's ability to repair a car to pre-crash safety condition. Usually the difficult part is making everything 100% straight on the road. If the frame must be straightened, make sure the repair shop has the proper equipment and if normal alignment / steering angle cannot be achieved after the repairs keep complaining until it's fixed right or the car is totalled. ($4300 is a long ways from totalled, so it doesn't sound that bad.)

-Colin
  • Options
    Frank: sorry but the unseasonally warm weather left with me. It was already cold on our last day. Wave Football sounds like fun, though!

Bob: the Outback's tires are rated "B" for heat resistance. Few H-rated tires are rated that poorly, even though it's a step up from the Explorer's tires.

My same-size Nitto NT460s are "A" rated. I strongly recommend them.

BS - yeah, my wife says I'm full of it all the time! :o)

Eugene: I'd strongly consider a 225/60 tires for that spare. The Nitto NT460 is just $59 from Discount Tire Direct, and they're significantly bigger than the OE size for my Forester. Big time! Look here at the level.

If you get a flat in the rear, your rear LSD will seize up and could cause major binding. Piece of mind for $59 is worth it.

Curt: glad to hear noone was injured. That's what really matters.

Demand that it be fixed at a dealer, and make sure they use OE parts. Then inspect the repair with a microscope, particularly the alignment. If you feel more secure, go for the 2001, and know that it offers even more safety features.

Stephen: make sure the baby seat has a tether strap out back, and get the kind that has the 5 point harness. The Outback has the tether anchors in all 3 positions, as does the Forester.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    docdoowop- I had a Nissan that got it's frame bent in a accident. The repair shop had one of those frame-straightening machines that fixed it as good as new (it would track straight down the road with no hands on the wheel). However, I agree with Colin...there are some arguements you just can't win. :-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    I've added a few new pages to my site here. Follow the links to read about my SPT short shifter, plus a modified 2.5 RS I was able to drive this weekend (mini-review in the Mods topic), and a full review of the 2001 Volvo XC.

Was I cheating on Subaru? Not really. Volvo sent a mailer for $100 from Orvis if I just test drove one.

Don't worry - Outback owners rest assured you made the right choice. The XC simply cannot match the ride/handling the Outback offers.

-juice
  • Options
    For $3500 I'd rather have the new car, a car that's had the frame straightened never ever is the same as it was before...

-mike
  • Options
    I wouldn't go that far Mike, but based on what most shops call frame repair I might tentatively agree in concept.

-Colin
  • Options
    abhidharmaabhidharma Member Posts: 93
    I thought most people just DROVE their Subes.

Not that this would influence your impartial judgement, though, would it? ;)

Randy
  • Options
    My wife says I'm married to my hobby (automobile enthusiasm), so I guess Sandy and I have a close relationship!

I gave paid for her tummy tuck (SPT shifter) and she forgave me, though. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    A while ago, I was seriously puzzled by a repeat wheel bearing concern a customer was having on his SVX. Yes, I know, you hear a lot about this, but no matter what, we could not get the bearings to last more than a few months on this car. On a hunch, we had the car put on a frame machine and, guess what, the frame was seriously out of wack. If you buy a used car, or are considering one, I always recommend to friends that they bring their potential buy into a shop to check the frame. It can save a lot of agg for not much money. Oh, the wheel bearing situation? Turns out that the customer knew it was in a pretty severe accident when he bought it. At least he ended up knowing the cause of the "mechanical" concern. With the data we were able to give him, he was able to recover some $$$$'s from the person who sold it to him. The frame was straightened and no more problems. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    docdoowopdocdoowop Member Posts: 6
    Work's being done by a Subi store, so it should be
    a legit repair. Guess I'll wait to see how it drives before deciding.
  • Options
    dsackmandsackman Member Posts: 145
    Thank you for all the responses on the spare wheels for the Outback.

Drew:- Interesting product. I have seen these used at tire shops. It really works very well. Alas, it will not make a specification size spare wheel fit in the wheel well.

Kate:- I say, you have good taste. Did you buy your Forester from Carlsen in Redwood City? "Dump" is maybe a strong word. It is more like "give to my wife" or "trade in" for something else. I bought the Forester after sitting with a Lemon Jeep Grand Cherokee for 12 months. I wanted to wait for the VDC, but had to return the Jeep.

Eugene:- I suspect you are correct in that the tire sizes were increased, which resulted in them being too big for the wheel well. Thus the "space-saver".

I do appreciate that re-engineering the wheel well to fit the larger wheel/tire would have costed a fair amount of money in design and re-tooling. That is OK.

It seems to me as if there is no real solution for the spare tire issue, except to fit 215 tires on all wheels.

Pity. Such a fine vehicle.

Daniel
    '01 Forester, S+, Auto, Silver
  • Options
    fvkllrfvkllr Member Posts: 26
    thanks for the links. The 225/60 doesn't fit in the spare tire well, the 215/60's do. I used this tire size checker and the 215/60 were only -1.8% different. The only way to get my over the sand permit was to use this tire as my spare, short of carrying a full size spare on the roof or something like that (which actually I wouldn't have minded too terribly, just stick it on when I go to the beach kind of thing, but I live in a condo which is also a three story walkup, so storage space and dragging the tire up and down discouraged me from that). I know that the spare tire isn't an issue for most folks, but for me driving on the beach is a must (since I'm fishing almost every weekend in the summer). Do you really think that the 215/60 would harm the car for short distances? Thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    fvkllr: What size is your factory spare? Does your owners manual specify limits on its use besides the usual 50 mph and 50 miles distance?
  • Options
    The Outback's larger tires might not fit, but I think any other Subaru model could handle a full-size spare in the wheel well.

Bob
  • Options
    Daniel - while the wheel sizes did change for MY2000, so did the rest of the car. They could (should?) have redesigned the spare tire well also.

This seems like an important issue, especially to residents of Carova (OBX) and folks like Eugene, so maybe that's something Patti can mention to product planning.

The other solution is to keep your Forester and buy a 2nd one! :)

Eugene: the catch was that the tire sizes varied much more than the calculations implied. My rear is a whopping 1.25" higher up with tires that were supposed to be less than 0.2" bigger in radius. I can't explain it.

Try placing the spare next to the stock tire - is it just 0.3" shorter (diameter), or more? To be accurate, it's better to compare both mounted and unmounted, running the same air pressure.

Subaru's tolerances are very tight. You don't have as much "play" as you do with trucks. 0.2" is probably OK for short periods, but half inch or more is probably not.

-juice
  • Options
    Out of curiosity -- have you tried fitting your new "larger" tires into your spare tire well? I'm assuming you didn't replace your original spare with the larger 225/60 tires. Am I correct?

Bob
  • Options
    Not yet, but I'll try that when I rotate the tires and let you know.

Of course I didn't realize how much the size would differ when I got them. What I need to do is order a 5th rim and tire once I know it fits.

-juice
  • Options
    By the way, I'm pretty sure they will not fit.

When I installed the trailer hitch I removed the spare, and it was a snug fit with the 205s. With the bigger tires, it's doubtful, but I'll try anyway.

So for me it's Plan B: AAA, a cell phone, and a patch kit/pump.

Luckily, I have never had a flat (that sound you hear is me knocking on wood). The wife has, though.

-juice
  • Options
    t4dt4d Member Posts: 5
    to buy a 2001 Impreza RS.

Does anyone know why the air filter (with cover) is listed as a dealer installed option? I also noticed an air filtration system as an option on the Legacy.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    t4d,

Great choice. The RS is a sweet ride.

Why the air filter is an option, I'm not sure. I guess some people don't want to spend money on one. I was one of them. However, after finding out how easy it is to install from juice's website, I've ordered one from QSubaru@aol.com.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.