Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Congratulations on your new RL.

No problem to apply Zaino in the winter - just make sure that car is clean and dry, and that the Z can dry properly.
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
    1988 Accord eh? Brings back memories. A decade ago, I had a 1987 Accord LX 4 door manual. In the short period I owned the car, I babied that car, bought factory service manual, changed stereo and speakers, wax often, etc.

In the three months I owned it, it was broken into twice, you know, San Francisco Sunset district back then was bad for parked outside Hondas. I had to sell it since I had to go abroad for a while plus I need the money. Broke my heart :(. The steering feel fine back then, but, now when I tried the same model (after having a newer model Hondas), I feel that it is too light. Probably Honda hasn't mastered the steering with more road feel back then.

Anyway..., I digress....

Now back to Acura RL discussion, specifically this Zaino wax: I never used it, I always used the Meguiar 3 steps wax, and been happy with it. I am a little wary of a wax company (Zaino) that ask you to use the liquid dish washer to strip off any remaining competitor wax. I thought it's a no no to use a regular dishwashing soap on your car. Let the flame begin... :)
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    To be specific, "Dawn." And it's not recommended for regular use, but only as a wax stripper to clear off the waxes before you begin using a polymer product. But even then it's not required ... sort of like the spell checker.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • lukas6561lukas6561 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys. First, I'd like to introduce my self as a new member. My name is Rudy. After reading all you guys messages, I wonder that some of you guys paid $33000 or less on a new RL. Is that outdoor price? or before Tax, and Licence?. Thank you guys for responding my question.
  • msotomsoto Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for the first time in several years, with the RL rapidly rising on my list. I'm considering both new and pre-owned and weighing leasing vs. buying. A few questions: (1) is there any advantage to buying now (the "end of the year blowouts")versus waiting until after the first of the year? (2)to anyone leasing an RL, did you have any success with negotiating a higher than average residual value? (3) to anyone who has purchased a 2001 RL, what is the lowest serious offer that you would consider making with a straight face (the local dealer is asking 42.6K without navigation)? (4) Is there a significant difference in the ride/performance/interior space between the RL and TL (to justify the 10K+ difference in the price)? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • bucket194bucket194 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone, I just wanted you all to know there are still a bunch of 2000 RL's out there to be had for cheap money. Here was my deal from Antonino Acura in Groton CT. 32,711 with mats and a car cover plus a $189 processing fee. That was $32,900 out the door for a non-navigation cash deal, including destination, mats and a cover, plus tax/tag/title. I was very happy with the deal. By my research, that was just about invoice for the car. They really wanted to move it by the end of the year, so that helped a bunch. I am in the military and wanted to register the car in VA. They were very helpful with that as well. They could have been a bit faster with the paperwork, but overall, I was very happy with the entire process.
    In my search, I found four leftover at Clair Acura in Mass and one left at Acura of Newport. Newport didn't want to come below 34,300. I told them they were out to lunch, but they didn't want to hear it. Clair came in at 32,980 and they have some left, so they may be worth a call.
    Thanks to all for the help you gave me in my search and negotiations. I haven't posted before, but reading all of yours was a big help.
    MSOTO, I would take a serious look for a leftover 2000. The deals will be far superior to any you will get on a 2001 and there is virtually no difference between the cars. Leasing could get a bit dicey as the 2000 rebate of $5000 and the rebates sure to come later in the year on the 2001 will have some kind of effect on residual values and make it difficult to see what kind of deal you are getting. The loan payment on a heavily discounted 2000 may approach the lease payment you can get on a 2001.
    Dealer says 2002 will be V-8 and RWD. He also told me that using 87 octane gas would have no detrimental effect on the engine at all due to the knock sensor. I suspect this is not true over the long term. Anyone have any advice on that topic?
    Thanks again to all.
    Bucket 194
    First - Congratulations on your new RL! Great Deal!

Running 87 Octane will not hurt the car, this part is true. However, the computer compensates for this by retarding the timing to prevent pinging. The result is less power and poor gas mileage.

My own experiments with this took me from 19-21 mpg to 24-26 mpg, going from 87 to 92. The % of increase in mileage was greater than the % of increase of gas cost, so in the end the cost per mile is CHEAPER to use Premium. The performance difference alone was worth the price.

It really is best to use the gas the car was designed for.
  • lukas6561lukas6561 Member Posts: 2
    Bucket 194
    Congratulations on your RL

That's a wonderful deal. I went to two different dealers today. They don't believe me with that kind of price. Bucket 194, Let me make sure again. So, the price you got is already including tax, title, and license. Another, what is sales tax rate in Groton CT? Thanks for responding my question so I can get a good deal like you.

Is there anyone who paid $33000 or less already include the tax & license? I'll appreaciate any response from you guys.

Since I live in Southern California, Please let me know if Anyone know any dealers around LA,Orange,Riverside that can give a good deal.
    Thanks a lot.
  • phil4vers4phil4vers4 Member Posts: 18
    Could someone please explain where on this Edmund's site and what info I need to find these great suggested prices on the RL? Thanks for your help!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, Town Hall had a severe problem last night, and posts made after sometime yesterday morning disappeared in the process of getting TH up and running again. The technical folks have been working all night - and are still working - trying to get them back.

I understand some have already been restored, and more may be coming, but there are no promises at this point.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this situation and trust that every effort is being made to rectify the problem. Thank you for your patience.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • aje62aje62 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Guys, I posted my first message yesterday, but I think it's lost with a few of the others. I'm wondering if anyone has any invoice price info on the '02 RL. Edmund's site is still showing '01 prices. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • demigodhdemigodh Member Posts: 3
    Hey, this is my first post to edmunds. I'll try to be as specific as i can. Ok, i would like to know the advantages/disadvantages between the 1997 Acura RL Premium w/o navigation as compared to the Infiniti q45. I'm torn between which one to get. I know the Inifiniti has the V8 but i don't know what the acura has over the infiniti. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan
  • joelraabjoelraab Member Posts: 5
    Question: My '99 RL has factory installed Michelin Tires. Would a different type of tire give me more solid road feel?

Thanks.
    TIRES:

Joelraab - The Michelins are in general great tires, but I doubt that they put the really good ones one - Pilots, etc. If you want a better road feel and handling, go to a larger tire that is wider, but lower profile, so the overall height is the same. For instance, if you have a 60 series tire, and go one or two sizes larger, but in a 55 series tire, it will be about the same height. The lower profile tire will give you more steering responsiveness and better handling, at the expense of a little bit of ride.

You do not want to just go to a larger tire, as this may affect your speedometer and gas mileage, etc.

Here is a very cool tire size calulator to let you see how different sizes and profiles affect the size of the tire.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    I replaced the factory michelins on my '96 rl with the same size dunlop 5000's. They are far less costly, ride as nicely and quietly as the michelins and handle/grip the road better. Check them out at www.tirerack.com.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    2002 RL w/o Navigation $38469

2002 RL w/ Navigation $40228
  • bbs_e30_m3bbs_e30_m3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with purchasing a 2001 RL at below the dealer invoice as suggested by edmunds.com. (Invoice: ~$37,500 TMV:~$35,500).

I am in the market for mid $30k sedan and RL seems like a good deal at mid$30k mark. (At $40k , I won't even look at it... overpriced.) If someone has any experience purchasing a 2001 RL in the last few weeks, please let me know how the deal went. You can also e-mail me at bbs_e30_m3@yahoo.com . Thank you.

p.s. Would you buy TL typeS over a RL ? TL-S seems a lot more for value, but I need a more "luxury" car. Thanks.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    There is a $3000 dealer incentive on the '01 RL. That's how the TMV is so low. They're getting scarce.
    And they're flyin' out the doors! Are you aware that the '02 is a new ride? The TL & Type S are both great cars; both are more performance oriented and, as such, quite a bit smaller feeling on the inside. In actuality, such measurements as leg room, etc., are nearly identical between the TL and RL, but the more vertical rake to the A-pillar and the layout of the console make the RL seem larger while the TL feels more like a cockpit. That choice is subjective, but there is no doubt that the cash difference between the two on a feature basis gives the advantage to the TL.

That said: I'm buying an RL. An '02, in fact. To me, it drives that much better.

Thanks for the numbers, TGIF ... where did you find them, may I ask?

Take care.
    Joe W.
    www.carsdirect.com
  • bbs_e30_m3bbs_e30_m3 Member Posts: 3
    What is the exact change in a '02 RL over '01 RL? I can't seem to find any info by just looking at either the Acura site or other car sites. Does a '02 offer better engine dynamics? Does '02 offer a better suspension (stability control system) that is not present in '01.

Lastly, I got a quote of $36,000 + $41 tag, title for a '01 RL... does this seem fair or should I push the envelop further.

Thanks for all your inputs.

-Sean
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    When you look at the prices for the 2001 RL, press the button to "PRICE THIS VEHICLE WITH OPTIONS". This will allow you to enter your zipcode and choice of color. This gets the TMV fined tuned for your area. I'm in the Midwest, Twin Cites metro, and the TMV for my area is $35,249. From that price, you deduct the incentive of $3,000 from ACURA. Tomorrow, I'll visit a dealer or two and make my offer of $32k, plus tax and license. I'll let you know Monday what happens.
    If you offer 32, they'll laugh. Their 'invoice' is 37589 -- 3000. That's a nationwide number. 36000 is about normal for an '01. You can, however, get a nice TL for 32000, or an off-lease '98 RL.

bbs, the changes in the '02 are in 'feel' more than something you can see. The 'big' change they're touting is the extra 15 hp that came from a more 'open' exhaust they call variable because it changes its resistance as you press on the pedal to "open it up." Nice, but more important I feel are the thicker sway bars front and rear, retuned braking for a firmer and earlier action, and the change in the final drive ratio that helps the top end. I also like the new 7-spoke wheels, and the availability of On-Star (tho I've never had it and don't know if it's worth the monthly fee -- any experience?)

Hope this helps.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    The RL was selling below invoice prior to the March 1st effectivity of the Customer Incentive. What I did was simply take that number, (specific to my region) subtracted the incentive and made my offer over lunch. Of course they did not laugh, why would they? They would not be in business long with that attitude. What they did was counter with 32.5k. Now, all I have to do is choose between the RL and TL tS.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    What dealer?! I think it's time for a road trip...

Quentin
    Me, too. that's really incredible! Good luck. I think I might get one for resale here at that price.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi from Edmunds.com's PR Department.

A journalist from one of the country's largest newspapers has asked us for help finding consumers who recently purchased a Lexus L430, Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series after considering a more expensive vehicle, or anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy.

If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or rpopely@tribune.com with your e-mail, phone number, city and state of residence, and a brief description of your experience. The journalist promises to keep you identity hidden at your request.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

PLEASE NOTE: Respond by clicking on the email addresses above. Responses posted here will NOT be seen by the folks who want to hear from you. Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    horsepower, and why Acura ought to (hopefully) raise it soon...the TL-S has 260 HP, thrumors on the Infiniti I35 for 2002 is 260 HP, everyone on the Lexus ES300 board seems to believe that for the ES to compete with TL-S and I-35, it, too will raise its HP and probably call the car the ES330...if the "ES330" also has 250+ HP, they will also probably raise the GS300...with all of that, and all of those engines being V6s (except GS300), Acura would be pretty lame if their flagship sedan only put out 230-240 HP, and much of the competetion had more performance in cars of "lesser" models...my 2 cents...obviously I am dreaming of an RL (Legend?) someday, and a 275 HP engine with respectable MPG would be a nice luxury/performance vehicle...make those sway bars even thicker...
  • demigodhdemigodh Member Posts: 3
    Very Simple? Which is better, assuming without navigation?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • mrdeeenomrdeeeno Member Posts: 53
    this rl's been around since '96, so the next one is due soon and is rumored to have a v8 and rwd.

so yes, acura knows that the lower tl/cl has more hp than it's flagship, but it's working on it.

hopefully, by being late, it can again be better (as with mdx).
  • jhuttonwvjhuttonwv Member Posts: 4
    1) What have list members been able to negotiate on 2002 RL's at this point??
    2) I read "developers" experience with a 2001 at Invoice less the $3000 incentive or around 32.5K Is this the experience of others. Am I right to assume that if there is a manufacturer sponsered incentive of $3000 it would definately start the negotiating around 32 or 32.5 for a 2001 without navigation.
    3)Any tips on dealers willing to go at close to invoice on 2002 or at invoice minus 3000 on a 2001?
  • jhuttonwvjhuttonwv Member Posts: 4
    Developer....Would you care to post the dealer and salesperson you negotioated the 32.5K with for a 2001 RL in the Twin Cities area.
    1) The 02's seem to be selling for about $40k at the moment. (New model upgrades, etc.) That's not to prevent an individual dealer from going lower than 4% profit, of course. This week, btw, Honda is supposed to be coming out with some new, lower money rates. We'll see.

2) As i understood it, devlopers point was that he'd found a dealer willing to delete most of the $3000 from the TMV of the '01, not the (higher) invoice. Their sales had been soft for the last several months (and inventory was an issue) so to clear out what remained after the money rate reduction earlier this year, some dealers were actually going below their invoice. (devloper was finding some success at starting at that number rather than at invoice and getting the resulting net offer down around $32k. I hope he comes back to let us know how that came out!) Invoice ('01) was $37589 -- the idea of getting under that was, I suppose, so that dealers could clear out the slow stock and turn that capital into CLs and Tls (S's) that would sell at list and cover the loss that way (I'm guessing.) The dealer I'm familiar with still has two (a white and a blue) at the moment but seems to be sitting pretty tight on making around a $1000 on a deal for them. So it depends on the area you're in, and the dealer.

Just a thought: if the '03 comes out with the V8, the current model will take quite a hit in resale value, so if a buyer doesn't plan to hold the car for some years it would probably be a desirable model to lease so you're not exposing yourself to unnecessary depreciation after 3 or 4 years.

Or am I not picking up on the situation right? Let me know.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • dave651dave651 Member Posts: 7
    I bought the last 01 RL from Buerkle ( they have a black one on hold I think ). White Bear has none left. Bloomington has a couple but knows these are the last and wasn't dealing.

I paid 36200 including all dealer fees so about 35700 before destination. With an invoice of 34019 after their 3K rebate on a model with VERY limited availability in the area I don't think that's unfair. They threw in mudguards too.

The 02's seem to be holding steady at 40+ and I personally didn't see the 10%+ improvement. I fully concede that the 02 is improved but not enough for me to pay the extra. Don't care about the ONStar, didn't think it was any quieter ( how can it be ? ) and while I thought I noticed a slight quickness improvement it may have been because I knew the numbers and was expecting one. Either way the 01 is more than fast enough for me and the price difference sealed the deal.

Let us know if you had any luck.
  • dave651dave651 Member Posts: 7
    It occurs to me that all three local Acura dealers may very well have demos remaining too, which could very well be going for bargain basement prices.

Personally I would never buy a new car with over 20 miles on it. Those test drives or demo use is the hardest possible usage for a car especially on a still-new engine. Even rental cars are not so abused as demos with everyone trying to see what it will do in one way or another. To me anything much beyond a few set up and delivery miles, and certainly anything in 3 or 4 digits is a used car.

For this reason I never considered demos. Others may very well have other opinions on the desirability of demos and that's just fine, but I left them out of the info above because they never entered my own personal decision.
    Dave, the prices you're finding in the great North are very similar to those in NE. When I was looking at '01s several dealers were willing to go to 36k (transportation included); with the '02s the best I found was 39950 (w/one bozo telling me to drive over and "we'll beat that" but was willing to give out no numbers on the phone. Going below those prices suggests something special going on.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • mikespopworldmikespopworld Member Posts: 15
    Made an offer of $37,500 on a 2002 RL last Saturday at a nearby dealership in Northern New Jersey and they countered at $38,950. I decided not to improve my bid and to wait and research more on Edmunds.com to see if a better deal is a short time away. JWILSON1 mentions in the post above that going below $39,950 "...suggests that something special is going on." Is there something special going on?
    That's a great number for a brand new release -- only 1.5% profit! Do RLs typically sell badly in NJ? Why do you think he'd cut so low on a car that can only have been on his lot for a few days? I sure don't know.

Grab it.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • craigsrcraigsr Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in message 137 by travisgregg relative to his discription of torque shudder in the RL transmission. I have an '01 RL with exactly the same problem. Did you get this problem resolved and if so, what was the resolution? Is any one else familiar with this particular problem and it's solution? Many thanks
  • 1964519645 Member Posts: 8
    Mikespopworld,

Did this price of $38950 include destination charges of $480. What dealership did you get this price from. Who did you speak with?

Thanks
  • malikjbmalikjb Member Posts: 10
    Paid $35200 for a 2001 silver color in Houston area, two weeks ago. At that price they were going fast. Only 4 or 5 left at that time with all of the Houston area dealers. Love the car but looks like a gas guzzler, got 18 mph on the first tank(50 percent freeway mileage)and 14.5 mph on the second tank (stop and go traffic, trips of 2 to 3 miles). Will it improve or remain the same. I wish they had provided a bigger gas tank so that I could get about 300 miles per tank. (got 260 and 210 on the last two tanks).
    Is extended warranty a good idea?
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Depends on the terms, length, and price. The plans are far more extensive in what's covered than the ones ten years ago, in line with the technological advances. 7 yr/100K miles/zero deductible for around $900 would be a fair deal, better than $1500+. The "money-back" plans in case covered repairs are less than the premium paid also depend on the cost.

$35,200 for a 2001 is a great deal for an under-rated and under-appreciated car! Your mileage will improve over time. I get almost 19 mpg overall with my '96; 21.5 mpg on my last run.
    is also an important issue re: and extended warranty. Honda has a terrific reputation for reliability with this car so ... at about 20,000 miles I'll decide on a warranty. By then I should know a lot about the car.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    The last couple days the VSA lights have come on in my 2000 RL that has just over 6k miles. I would guess that there is some kind of a problem with the system and I will have to have the dealer check it out.

Has anyone else had this problem? What was the solution?

thanks
  • jtiernanjtiernan Member Posts: 9
    Any ideas on how to improve gas mileage on 3.5 RL '99. I use premium, but get only 18/19 in town and 23 on highway. I do not drive erratically. Thanks
    Does anyone have the new numbers (apparently announced on Tuesday) for the new money factor for the RL? Apparently it was good news in the form of a substantial drop, but I can't pick up the number just yet ... any info?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • mikespopworldmikespopworld Member Posts: 15
    That includes destination,a wood shift knob and a cargo net...
    An excellent price! Where are you located? Did you buy or lease -- if lease, what were the money factors and residual?

Thanks for sharing.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Go to this link- http://www.eacura.com/default.asp?type=3&bV=0

$499.00 per month/39 months/$1,000.00 down payment. $1,999.00 total due at lease signing (includes security deposit, excludes tax and license).

This is the fine print:

Offer valid through 7/2/2001, only on approved credit by Honda Finance through participating dealers. Honda Finance's standard credit criteria apply. See your Honda dealer for details. Closed-end lease for 2002 RL Special AHFC Lease(Model# KA9652JTW). MSRP $43,630.00 (includes destination). Actual net capital cost $39,265.22. DEALER PARTICIPATION MAY AFFECT ACTUAL PAYMENT. Taxes, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options and insurance extra. Total monthly payments $19,461.00. Option to purchase at lease end $22,251.30. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15¢/mile over 12,000 miles/year. SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS.

I can't believe my luck! I'm so lucky they had to wait on a delivery for mine -- when it comes in next week, I'll be saving almost $7500 in lease costs!

I'm so glad the car is under appreciated and dissed!