Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

1135136137138139141»

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Correct, I was just coming on to correct that b/c they posted the update yesterday evening. Typical Acura wishywashy behavior though! No wonder they are in the shape they are in!
  • tamparltamparl Member Posts: 42
    And typical Internet gossip and drama.

Before the blog insinuated, and before the posting drama proliferated the RL was being dropped, did anyone link and source the Japanese press from which this manifested? It stated that the Japanese LEGEND would be dropped. For that matter, it did not even specify the LEGEND in other markets, never mind the Acura counterpart.

Will the the current model be retired? Indeed. But does not that only open opportunity for a new model / generation? Do you see blogs posting RL Re-GENESIS!!!!?? Nope.

Internet blogging and posting often becomes silly gossip and drama unsubstantiated. Chicken Little lives.
  • suv2002suv2002 Member Posts: 20
    We just traded in our '02 TL-S for an '08 RL/NAV with 23K miles. It's Certified Pre-Owned and in terrific condition. We haven't put too many miles on it yet but the car rides like a dream. I can't imagine anyone saying this isn't a "luxury" car. Our friends have an '09 E-series and the RL has a better ride. Granted there's no star on the hood but I can't seeing paying $10K more for it.
    No it wasn't internet gossip for God sake. It was a mistake on autoblogs part and typically they get things right so at least they came out and said that they made a mistake. Let's not go crazy about it!
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I am very pleased with my 08 RL and I throughly enjoy the ride, suspension, acceleration etc. i.e I enjoy the overall quality of the interior and exterior. I also understand that posters post for different reasons. Having posted for years, I have observed many posts by im-posters which are still alive and well ad posters who are sincere. Which one are the readers who read this post?

Hey if you don' t like the RL go to the site where you can get your accolaides and leave us Acura believers/owners/satisified customers alone.

And no I have no financial interests nor do I work for , sell, or otherwise receive compensation from Acura/Honda.

Good luck to all and stay safe. Oh, I forgot to mention the Rl's safety ratings all a the top, at least for the 08 RL.

jensad :)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Suggest that Acura fans check out the "Where Is Honda Taking Acura" discussion in News & Views. We're the original owners of a '99 TL (2nd generation), and have been very happy with it, but we wouldn't consider the lastest generation TL. It's too large and heavy, and we don't like Acura's current styling direction.

Would consider a TSX, but the foot space for entering the back seat (between the bottom of the rear door and the bottom of the rear seat cushion) is unusually tight. I think it's a design flaw. Has anyone else noticed this?

The rear seat of a mid size car should provide easy access, but the one in the TSX isn't designed for average size adults, much less taller ones.

Acura needs to get its mojo back. Its sedans used to be innovative, fun-to-drive, and excellent values. The new ones are unremarkable, as reflected in the absence of new messages in the "Where Is Honda Taking Acura" site. It seems to me that fewer people will cross-shop Acura sedans if things don't change. Look what happened to the Maxima, a once hot car.

I don't think expanding the hybrid line will do the trick, because while hybrids
    Indeed it was gossip and drama. The Japanese press ONLY specified the Japanese LEGEND model. It did not specify anyh other market and did not mention Acura or the RL at all.

Autoblog insinuated the RL by posting the headline that the RL would be dropped with a question mark? Slick way to slide the truth,

The YOU posted on this board the RL is COMING TO AND END! Exclamantion point and not a question mark, further proliferting a slant on the truth.

This is gossip and drama and a disservice to readers who have not access to the source documentation.

Postings like these do nothing but add spin.
    You really need to take a chill pill! I posted a mistake and as soon as I found out that autoblog made a mistake and Acura corrected it, I came on to repost that it was a mistake and error on my part. I didn't do anything wrong. At the time it sounded to be true and was posted on several Acura forums as well. I corrected the mistake but that doesn't seem good enough for you. Get a life man and stop making a big deal over nothing!
    Chicken Little sounds a little flustered.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Let's knock off the name-calling. Seriously... it was a mistake and it was corrected. Let's find something better to do than harp on it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 08acura0808acura08 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I just bought an 08 RL with nav/tech pkg - Love it so far! A couple of quick questions though for the newb - Can the am/fm radio display station and song information? I noticed it can do that with the XM stations, but have not found a way to do so with the regular radio. The Display button does nothing in my RL when listening to the regular radio. My old 2001 Audi would at least display station/song info, so I'm wondering if this is some kind of software glitch on my Acura. Also, my night setting for the nav system won't show up automatically at night - odd, it worked 2 weeks ago when I first purchased, but now won't. Which leads to an overall question - do they electronics/software features of the RL's typically need to be tweaked every so often? Thanks in advance. Love the way this baby drives and handles...
  • vettolavettola Member Posts: 1
    Hello SMarty 666, I was crushed when we totalled our 98 RL and have since owned 2 porsche, A6, q45, and I am ready for a late model RL, I would be curious of your Residual? I am finding that most of the great deals on Certified RL are North East and Florida. I am looking to buy an 06 or 07
    Thanks, :D
  • hondaman1hondaman1 Member Posts: 6
  • viola128viola128 Member Posts: 5
    anyone knows anything about the new 2013 RLX? it looks beautiful! according to the N.Y. show, it has 370 hp and totally upgraded. I am curious about the MSRP, not shown.
    I am looking for a used RL, 09 or 10. is this a good choice or, Should I wait for the new RLX? am also afraid of the first generation thing....
    I had a legend years ago, had it for 13 years, loved the car !
    thx
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Everything related to style is subjective, I do not think your opinion of the looks of the upcoming RLX is wrong.

I do however have an opinion of my own: this new RLX is awful, hideous, repulsive and ugly.

First the power plenum TL (big nose, or beak), then the ZDX -- from what planet did that thing come from, the thinly disguised RDX (aka Honda CR-V) that drops SH-AWD for pity's sake -- and now this nauseating new RLX.

Honda, er Acura is really slipping out of the premium class quickly. Why not simply do what Hyundai has done, create the Genesis line and sell them alongside their other cars.

How about selling Acuras (out of the back) at Honda dealerships -- for there is way too much Honda in the Acura lineup. And, not counting the upcoming NSX, who does Acura think its kidding with all of its talk about being a Premium Car Line.

Now don't get me wrong, I really do love my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance -- except for its looks. And, so equipped this TL is an absolute steal -- its value quotient is off the charts.

But it really ticks me off that Acura keeps coming out with FWD vehicles -- it needs to make ALL of its cars SH-AWD if it wants to even stand a chance of remaining or regaining Premium Car status.

The new RLX's interior may even be worse than its exterior, it has upper and lower screens and the lower one looks like an add on, a growth, if you will.

Even Chrysler 300 interiors have grown up -- look at a 2012 300 interior vs a 2007 300 interior, you can see how a brand can morph itself beautifully.

Acuras from what I can tell (since I drive one every day) drive and ride great, have smooooooth engines and transmissions and the best damn audio systems on the planet. Their content per buck is off the charts and they seem to be excellent performers (albeit sleepers due to their looks).

But, cut off my legs and call me shorty, they are the ugly, uglier, ugliest cars in the Premium segment they still attempt to lay claim on.

Cover yourselves in butter and carry lemons, there's an Acura loose!

:mad:
  • mrjohnsmrjohns Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an 05 RL and wondering if I should upgrade the NAV system? Any opinions/thoughts?
  • suv2002suv2002 Member Posts: 20
    I would. It's around $100 for a new DVD and a worthwhile investment.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    edited January 2013
    (I'll preface this post by saying that this Forum is very stagnant and I don't know if Mark will even see this post. But the RLX is coming out in a few weeks and I did not see an RLX forum in Edmunds but I did find Mark's old post!)

Mark, Your Post was interesting to me because First, I recognized your name right away from years ago when the 2005 RL was being introduced. I bought the 2005. Still have it. Still love it. At that time you owned something like 27 consecutive Audi's. You almost bought a new Infiniti M, I believe it was a 2005, but changed your mind when the Audi people encouraged you to stay with them. You may remember Acuraphile. He and I met in that forum, both having purchased 2005's. We still keep in touch today. He purchased a 2012, one of the few that came off the assembly line last year. It appears that Acura pinned it's hopes on the new 2014 RLX to be their long awaited new Flagship. George, (Acuraphile), now 87 told me his dealership has made arrangement for him to be invited in to be the first one to test drive it when it arrives at the dealership in a few weeks. He is excited! I told him to give me the complete story on it and I look forward to his assessment. If you may recall Acuraphile has a way with words and will give us his honest opinion. Until then I'll reserve my opinions. Pictures don't tell the whole story. Thanks for your assessment. So you bought an Acura TL huh. I never thought that would happen. Good luck.
    JJAcura

PS I see some familiar host names Kirstie and Karens... is Pat still with Edmunds?
    Unfortunately, Pat passed away a few years ago (and we still miss her).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Oh, I am sorry to hear that and I can understand how you do miss her. I will let George (Acuraphile) know. He remembers her for sure. After this forum quieted down I would check in every once in a while and she would always greet me with something nice to say. Pat was a good person.
    JJAcura (Jake)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited January 2013
    While not nearly as "upset" as Mark is, I agree with most of what he says about the TL. Performance/build per dollar spent is where Acura shines.

If money were the only factor, I'd have nothing but Acuras gracing my garage.

I'm not a FWD biggot. I've owned some good FWD cars (TL included). As we all know, RWD trumps FWD in the handling dept, all day, every day. But, I also agree that Acura has kind of made a name for themselves with their SH AWD system. It's a good one. I'd make every model as a SH AWD vehicle, as Mark suggests.

The more I read, the more I think I must be the only one on the planet that likes the styling direction of Acura these days. Clearly, I'm in the minority.

Although not in the market, I do look forward to seeing the new RLX (and also the TLX?) in the flesh.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Recently drove the new RLX. Much nicer than the previous generation. Still the ride is harsh and the base RLX only comes with black leatherette. If you want real leather in a color other than black, you have to spend substantially more for a higher package. Front seats are very comfortable. At least this iteration is not a gussied-up Accord as the previous model was. Interesting feature is the brake hold, which frees up your feet for texting at stoplights. Tap the accelerator and the brakes release and you're on your way.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    Pat passed- my condolense.
    She had me reprimanded more than once (for temper tantrums post) back in the days.
    Do you work for Acura?
    How did you get to test drive the RLX?
    Wow, did Acura really went that direction in charging for leather?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Hey.. she got me, too!! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bernsterbernster Member Posts: 29
    I drove RLX Tech and did not notice harsh ride. Ride was great but we were on very nice roads salesman suggested. On what type of road was ride harsh? I fell in love with the car. Seats were extremely comfortable. Even liked paddle shifters which I always was reluctant to use. Technology is super. I have an M56. M cars have problems figuring out what gear to shift to if you slow down and then speed up because it has 8 speed which does not seem to be programmed correctly. Seems like it is always thinking about what gear to use. RLX has 6 speed and had no problems in this regard. If I get the RLX it will be with the advanced package. My M56 lease is not up til August so maybe lease prices will come down. There will be no deals on RLX at launch according to saleman. Why isn't there an RLX forum?
    Usually, when you don't see a forum for a specific model, it's because it's brand new and there hasn't been enough interest from members in the forums to start one. We can certainly start a discussion for it if you like.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

edited March 2013
    Kirstie, I think there will be a lot of interest in the new RLX. A separate forum is certainly warranted. I drove the car and loved it and want to find out what other forum members' experiences and prices and lease costs are.

Thanks
    Here ya go:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f272c27

We'll get up some pricing discussions soon, perhaps tomorrow, on a weekday. Looks like we don't have a "category" set for it yet either, so I'll put in a mention to those folks.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

any torque steer?
    No torque steer
    Kirstie

RLX forum is not indexed under Acura
    If you do a search for the word Acura, or use the make drop-down menu and choose Acura, it does turn up in the results. It's just on page 2 because that discussion hasn't had a post since March.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• michael0137michael0137 Member Posts: 58
    The previous generation RL was NOT a gussied up Accord - it was made in Japan - totally different frame, drivetrain, etc. I know - I have had both - I too THOUGHT the RL was a gussied up ACcord - FAR from it. You are mistaken my friend - the cars were in a totally different league.