Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I can't remember the sales guys name on the 95 but the 00 was bought from a salesman by the name of Kevin Berger.

He made one trip to see the owner with my original offer (straight invoice less holdback money since I knew they had to locate my preferred colors/options). He came back with agreed, but add $200 for Nissan's mandatory "marketing fee".

I countered with ok to $200 but throw in the nose mask and that was the entire deal.

Placed the locate order and picked it up about 4 weeks later. Now have 55,000 troouble free miles and still look forward to driving it every day.
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    I agree Joe I have 2 years left on my Maxima Lease. The new Altima is outstanding! Can you imagine what the next generation Maxima will look like. Kudos' Nissan
  • joenissanjoenissan Member Posts: 313
    There's a reason you can't find it. One doesn't exist on the new maximas. The alarm only goes off if the doors are opened....it doesn't have a motion sensor, nor did the last version.

Joe
    if it's from the rear. it's probably the fuel pump.

Joe
  • dettimdettim Member Posts: 9
    After looking at the Nissan news site, there was no mention of a sunroof as an option for the '02 Altima. Does anyone think this will be an option for the V6 SE?
  • slp77slp77 Member Posts: 12
    1) i've read that it requires premium gas. if
    you don't run premuim do you get alot of engine
    pinging? is anyone here using regular?

2) i live in LA and am looking at getting an
    automatic (my left leg is starting to look like
    conan the barbarian's). how many miles can
    i expect out of a well cared for nissan
    automatic?

3) i haven't found anything (good or bad) about
    cup holders. i'm sure it must have them, any
    comments about them?

4) i've read alot of comments about
    people who either loved or hated the milage they
    were getting. however, no one seems to actually
    say what they are actually getting. what can
    i expect for city/highway driving?

5) and finally, i've had slight experience working
    on nissan vehicles but never a maxima. just how
    hard is it to get at the engine? any comments about
    any other maintenance issues?

thanks
    -slp77
    1) i've read that it requires premium gas. if
    you don't run premuim do you get alot of engine
    pinging? is anyone here using regular?

2) i live in LA and am looking at getting an
    automatic (my left leg is starting to look like
    conan the barbarian's). how many miles can
    i expect out of a well cared for nissan
    automatic?

3) i haven't found anything (good or bad) about
    cup holders. i'm sure it must have them, any
    comments about them?

4) and finally, i've had some experience working
    on nissan vehicles but never a maxima. just how
    hard is it to get at the engine? any comments about
    any other maintenance issues?

thanks
    -slp77
  • qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    all i can say is holly smokessssss

looks amazing and the specs look even better. the gas is on othe down side but the maxima will be even worse this fall when it gets the 265-275HP. a full redesign is in a couple of years so i can't imagine what the new maxima will look like.

on top of all models from nissan, i'd like to see the Z.

nissan is kicking some major asss

the VQ engine is doing wonders for this company, imagine the cost savings of having the same engine on the new altima, new maxima, new Z, and now its in the pathfinder and QX4. (i'm talking about the 3.5L VQ).

not to forget the VQ since 95 in the maxima
  • qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    and the I30.

and i believe the V8 in the Q is a VQ as well.

i know components and tune up and compression ratio might or are different. but the design is there and its done. tested and top 10 in the world.

since the altima will go on sale in septermber according to the debut speech. i'm guessing the new 3.5L engine will go into the maxima at the same time. to make the maxima look a bit better in the showroom i guess.
  • petdoc1petdoc1 Member Posts: 7
    A local dealer near me in Kentucky is advertising new Maximas at $3k off sticker. Drove by there tonight after they closed and he had 3 SE's up by the building with "$3,000 off" on the windshield and "6.9%" next to it. The sticker on the one that caught my eye (dark gray with light gray leather) was $29.7k. So that would be $26.7 I guess. Does that sound like a good price as compared to what others have recently paid??? Thanks!

Also, does anyone have the dark gray color? Does it show dirt/dust very easily? Show scratches and rock chips really badly? Just wondering.

Thanks! John
  • 96maximase96maximase Member Posts: 1
    Hey slp77
    I've got a '96 Maxima SE I/Automatic... will try to answer some of your questions.

Yes, it does require premium gas, but you can get I usually get by with 89 octane without any pinging. It definitely pings on regular, so I try not to be so cheap. As for the MPG, I usually get 24-25 on my 80 mile round trip daily commute. Most of that is at about 70+ mph, but, also living in LA area, at least a third is in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

As for longevity of the automatic trans, I'm hoping it lasts along time. I've only got 58k miles on it and no signs of any trouble (bought the car used a year ago with 30k miles).

Cupholders -- it's got three of them: two are in the center console and one huge one is in the console compartment, which I never use. The two in the console seem to work just fine with your basic commuter mugs and are in the right place.

Engine Accessibility: For the most part, it's pretty easy to get at. Rear cylinder bank it a bit of a pain to get at sparkplugs. Changing oil filter is a royal pain -- it's accessible via right wheel well, so you've got to crank the wheels to the right, then there's some plastic splash shield that you can either remove a bunch of screws to remove or just pull it (somewhat) out of the way.

Hope that helps. Car's got awesome power, even with automatic, it's very good.
  • blackstone3blackstone3 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone had there moon roof tinted? I was quoted 40 dollars to have it done. What do you think?

Jim
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I think that the max is definately giving up the performance title to the Altima. Even with 260 HP, when the max becomes a full-sized car in 2002 (2003 model), it'll probably weigh more than the 3.5L Altima and a 20 HP advantage probably won't overcome the extra pounds (unless Nissan does something with the tranny - 5 speed auto? or increases the engine displacement).

But hey...I'm happy for Nissan. It'll improve the brand. Carlos Ghosn is doing a great job! I hope to see the day when Nissan does not have to offer a $5,000 rebate (I'm exaggerating) to sell a car. It'll improve the resale of everyone's Nissans because they will be desireable.

The Infinity I35 looks like it's a done deal for this fall, so I'm sure that the max will get a 3.5L engine. I'm guessing that the 3.5 will be standard in the max this fall (just like the I35). Why would Nissan offer a 3.5L in the Pathfinder, Altima, I35, and Z, but offer two engines in the max (3.0 and 3.5)? It doesn't make sense. They should find a way to stuff that 3.0 in the Sentra :-)

Have fun!
    Thanks again! I'm due for servicing tomorrow and I'll mention that 'rumble' to the manager.

One other question...if you don't mind. I want to upgrade my wheels and tires to a 17 or 18" package. Are there any pitfalls I need to be wary of (i.e. speedometer calibration, brake cooling, etc).

Also...what is the part number for your PIAAs?

Thanks again!
    Check it out:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001-04-11-nissan-side.htm

Look at 'October'...Nissan Maxima with 260 HP and a 6-SPEED close ratio manual! SIX gears!
    I can't really think of any pitfalls but...do be sure to properly size the new wheel tire pkg. I'd go for the 17's. 18's will ride way too hard, and offer very little in the way of performance advantage. Go with the 225/50/17 tire size..or 235/45/17...the latter being a proper size up from the stock 17's.

As for the Maxima being out performed by the Altima....I have two thoughts. Either Nissan wants the Maxima to be the "Luxury" flagship, and the Altima their performance car---OR---The new Maxima will be getting some real kick-[non-permissible content removed] power. Remember.....the 2002 redo for the Maxima is an engine only (beside maybe some minor exterior changes) change...so...if the maxima now does 0-60 in 6.7 with 222HP, 260HP should be able to get it a tad quicker than the new Altima...mainly because the new Altima is now in the Maximas weight class.
    Unfortunately, I'm not getting any more info than you folks are (hell....I had to find out about new TSB for the fuel cut right here..lol) so I guess we'll all find out together just what's going to come about.
    I'll be going to the NY auto show this Saturday...I'll be sure to making a B line to the Nissan showcase.

Joe
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    92Drexel: you may need to be careful about tire clearance in the fender wells if you change from 16 to 17" wheels/tires. The 00-01 Maximas with the 17" wheels have a significantly larger turning radius. I didn't realize how (slightly) annoying this would be, since I was moving up from a smaller car anyway. But this thing maneuvers in parking lots like a long-bed pickup. I'm guessing Nissan uses a more restrictive steering stop to prevent the tires from rubbing. Don't know it for a fact, but you can look up the difference in turning radius. Seems like it went from about 36 to 40 feet!
  • hiiq1hiiq1 Member Posts: 7
    He folks I'm considering returning to the nest! I presently own a 93'Q and am considering trading it in on a 01' se. I'd like to know what are the pros and cons of the new maxima and what are some of the price ranges people are paying. I'm in the mid-west. I'm a former owner of 86'se 89'and 91' se's and have to say that the 00'-01' was definitely an improvement over the 96-99 body style although the TAIL LIGHTS leave much to be desired.
  • rsikorarsikora Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 SE and was thinking of installing the GLE trim, not sure if the trim pieces pry up, has any one made this change, and if so can you tell me how to do it, or should I have the dealer do it. Any information on the cost the dealer may charge, thanks.
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    IN PREVIOUS FORUMS DUE TO ALTIMA COMING INTO ITS OWN V6 ETC..TO COMPETE IN A DIFFERENT MARKET,IT SEEMS PUBLIC OPINION IS MAX 2000 AND 2001 OWNERS ARE GOING TO TAKE IT ON THE CHIN WHEN SALE TIME COMES NEAR IN 5 YEARS.. IS THIS TALK JUSTIFIED OR JUST TALK...WHEN PURCHASED 2000 MAX IN JULY 2000 LOOKED AT 1997 MODELS AT DEALER FOR 16-17K WITH 35-40K MILES..SPENT 7K MORE TO GET COLOR,FULL WARRANTY ETC.AND NEW CAR FINANCING..PLEASE KEEP IN MIND SOME PEOPLE STILL BUY CARS!! SHOULD I WORRY? OR JUST ENJOY THE CAR AND HOPE TO GET SOME KIND OF DECENT RETURN DOWN THE ROAD
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    You already own the car. Enjoy it!
  • gnlgnl Member Posts: 94
    I was one who was saying our resale value might go down. Whether it will prove to be true or not, who knows. Wish that all our crystal balls were equipped with perfect vision. But like ronin said, you've got the car, just enjoy the ride. Cars are always a depreciating asset, so don't worry about what might or might not be true five years from now.

By the way, I'm same as you - bought my y2k in July of last year. Love it, hope when I sell it I can get something decent for it, but if not - well, then I'll just keep it til it falls apart!
    Thanks for the info joe and flyin. I'll look into that a little more

hiiq: I definately wouldn't buy a 2001 max with the 3.5L engine being offered in the 2002 a few months from now. In fact, I would wait until 2003 (for the all new max).

al57: I don't think the altima/maxima updates will hurt the resale of the 2000/01. You have to compare apples to apples. If someone wants to spend say 10-15K on a good used car, then that'll put them out of the range of a 3.5 altima or 3.5 maxima. Their choices would be a used max or a new shoebox (economy car). The main competition for a used max will, likely, continue to be a used camcord.

Nissan, IMHO, is playing the game very well. Shorter model cycles usually gets people excited which means trading in their cars earlier (and buying new cars more frequently). That excellerates the used car market too. Yep...Nissan is doing OK (maybe I'll start leasing instead of buying)!
  • george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    The door trim for the SE Maxima costs about $43 per side. You can change each side in about 5 minutes. Here's how:
    1. Remove the small round screw cap inside the door handle. (Use a small screw driver)
    2. Remove the screw that is under the screw cap in the door handle.
    3. Pull up the trim piece carefully.(The only thing holding the trim piece now are clips)
    4. Remove the door handle piece from the trim assembly. There are small clips on one side of the door handle piece and felt tape on the other side.
    5.Turn the trim piece over and remove 3 additional screws that hold the power window controls to the trim piece.
    Now just reverse these steps to install new trim pieces. It should take you about 5 minutes each side.

George
    Or...you can get the real burled walnut trim kit. It's real wood, and covers ALOT more than just the GLE pieces. Although it will cost quite a bit. I have it in mine, and have installed it in many customers Maximas ( Altimas and Quests as well). Great upgrade..well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Joe
    Joe, where do you get that burled walnut trim kit? Does that fit around the air vents, clock and such? Those places really look like they need trim. I was thinking of buying a kit from joshua tree or some such when I have a couple hundred $$$ to spare, but does Nissan itself have the real wood trim kit? How much $$ ? I have the GLE, if it makes a difference.
    Nissan does have a kit for it but, it's very expensive..I believe in the neighborhood of $300.
    Even though I could have gotten a Nissan kit for nothing, I actually found a better kit on EBAY for $109 ! The kit was the same walnut that Nissan uses except that it was a full 32 piece kit...much more than we offer. What's gets covered is the entire center consol from the clock to the heated seat switches, all the vents, the rear cupholder and ashtray, cruise control on the steering wheel, all under the speedo/tach binnicle, and even a real nice touch...a strip along top of the glovebox...oh and all the door switches. It just adds such a classy touch.
    I can't remember the company, unfortunately, but keep your eyes on E Bay. You have the GLE, which only has that fake looking plastic wood around the door handles, and center consol..this kit covers that and much more..and is REAL wood...you can really tell the difference.

Joe
    Sounds good. Is this easy enough for a moderately handy person to put on, or would I need the dealer to do it?
    Not hard at all...just takes time and patients. You need a heat gun, or a high wattage blow dryer to heat up the wood to make it bendable...and be sure to line it up right the first time...once it's on...that's it.

Joe
  • thekid1thekid1 Member Posts: 2
    hello knowledgable people, I'm wondering about ordering those re92 225/50r/17 with the six spoked mags.What in your opinion,would a good price be?Any clearance problem with the 98 gxe wheel wells ?
  • thekid1thekid1 Member Posts: 2
    ..how should I bring out the shine on the brake assembly, to maximize those striking mags?merci
  • raymondmraymondm Member Posts: 6
    I have noticed that the oil light goes out when the engine starts but then flickers on then finally out when I start my 2001 Maxima GLE after sitting a few hours. The vehicle has 4,800 miles. I changed the oil after 3000, using Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Nissan filter. Any cause for worry?
  • jim7689jim7689 Member Posts: 15
    I just picked up my New Maxima GLE last Thursday, I thought after driving a 1998 Buick LeSabre Limited for three years I might be disappointed.

Well it might take a little while to adjust to the firmer seats, but I haven't had this much power since my 1965 Potiac 2 + 2.

The Maxima is a beautiful automobile with lots of options. Mine has the Meridian Pkg., Sunroof with wind deflector, Floor Mats, color cooridinated Mud Guards, day night mirror with the compass, and that Bose 200w stereo is fantastic. I have the Sterling Mist color, depending on if your in the sun or shade it either looks Silver or an almost gold color.

If anyone has any hesitation about the Maxima being equal to a Americam made luxury sedan just give me a shout.

Happy Easter Everyone
    Yes...the oil light should not come on at all under normal driving. Make sure your oil level is correct...if so, you may have a bad oil filter, which is restricting oil flow. Get a Purolator (not Fram) or something comparable, and change the oil again....for the 20 some odd bucks it'll cost you, it's well worth keeping your engine from frying.
    If that doesn't do it...take it to the dealer to have the idiot light checked.

Joe
  • warrenulwarrenul Member Posts: 50
    I recently noticed that the brake calipers developed corrosion, quite possibly from the winter road salts.

I think the caliper are made of aluminum and the surface has lots of specks of off white oxidation. With the large gaps on the 17's, it really stands out. I was going to spray some WD-40 on it, but I don't want to contaminate the pads or the disk. Anyone else have this and what can I do to get rid of it?

Hey why can't I post a title on this post?
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    JIM7689: I noticed you have the daynite mirror with compass..Can you tell me if the wire from the roof to the mirror has a cover on it???...I have one as well but no cover was supplied..Nissan Parts is looking into whether it even exsists...Let me know please...Thanks ...Joe D.
  • gtownguygtownguy Member Posts: 73
    I have a 2000 Maxima SE, Bought it in 8/99, have 21,000 miles on it. One problem I noticed is a high number of paint chips from sand ect. on the front bumper and hood. Is this common? Its the sterling mist color (silver). Somehow the paint seems very thin to me and easily to chip. Otherwise no mechanical problems. Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks, Tom.
  • warrenulwarrenul Member Posts: 50
    Does the 2001 Rear view mirror have a compass in it? Does anyone know if it is a self contained unit and if I can install it on a 2000 model without too much trouble?

Still can't post a title...Hey L8, whats the deal? New website improvement feature? I liked the old format, at least I could opt to see all posts and perform key word searches within the entire thread. The new format only allows 20 or so posts...
  • edwardsa1edwardsa1 Member Posts: 34
    My 2001 SE's autodim rear-view does not have a compass and I am not aware of one being offered as an option.
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    Problems solved :)

My dad's '93 Maxima had a problem with revving and then had the starting problem. We found out that the weak alternator contributed to both. The revving could not get pass 4k rpm for a couple of weeks then the car would not start without a jump start.

The '96 Maxima had a problem with leaking radiator fluid. We found out that it was just a bad radiator cap. Had it replaced... everything is fine again in the Maxima world :)
  • jkwcmwjkwcmw Member Posts: 11
    Anyone out there have any suggestions for bike racks? What do you guys use, what brand, roof vs. trunk, or any other useful info appreciated.

Thanks.
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    warrenul...the stardard 2001 autodim mirror that comes with the meridian package does not have a compass. However, I believe that the AE mirror has one. Also there are some aftermarket ones available. The install can be complicated depending on what you have now!
    Warrenul, I wondered the same thing (have a 2k GLE) and the dealer said it would be really complicated. Since there's no wiring harness there on the mirror on the 2K version, as I understand it the dashboard and the windshield would have to be pulled out, was his story. Sounded like a lot more trouble than it would be worth. I've got a compass from AAA, will probably be sticking that on one of these days.
  • jim7689jim7689 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 Maxima GLE. I have only had it since April 12 and I have noticed the few times I have driven it after dark that the headlights on dim seem to have a very short shine distance forward. Is this an adjustment problem or is that normal on a Maxima. The high beams are extremely bright and reach out as far as you can see.

Thanks for your help.
  • edwardsa1edwardsa1 Member Posts: 34
    Re. bike racks:

I recommend just using a Yakima or Thule roof rack. I myself have a Yakima and it is a fairly easy installation (vehicles tend to work better with either Yakima or Thule, as their mounting systems are somewhat different; the Yakima system is somewhat more flexible and works fine with a Maxima - I have not tried a Thule).

Roof racks are inherently far more flexible than rear-mount racks because they allow for transport of skis, snowboards, kayaks, etc., as well as standard detria like ladders and Christmas trees.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    warrenul: I don't know what's up with the subject lines. They were supposed to be fixed today.

I miss the ability to search an entire topic too... It's a long story. Hopefully, we'll have the ability to search within a topic in the near future *without* doing a "See All Posts".

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Door Gaps?
    Can anyone tell me if they have a decent size gap between the door and the roof lines when closed..I'm noticing at least 1\4" gap...is that normal?...Thanks..Joe D.
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Headlights on my 00 GLE are all a bit short. Meaning it is fairly easy to overdrive them.
    There is an adjustment screw just behind the headlights. Just not too high or you blind oncoming traffic. FWIW
    WARRENUL: I had a mirror with compass installed on my 2001 SE through my deal on the car...its definetly an accesssory for the Max..I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to fit on your 2000...however I'm finding out there is no covering for the wiring between the mirror and the roofline like there is for the stock auto dimming mirror...cest lavie....I'll survive...Joe D.
  • rustytruckrustytruck Member Posts: 6
    L8_ApexHOST said:

"Hopefully, we'll have the ability to search within a topic in the near future *without* doing a "See All Posts"."

This brings up a question I've had since the Town Hall redesign: How do you "See all posts" now? There is no button on my pages and the option does not appear on the "preferences" page. I would much rather be able to display all posts every time I come to the thread (makes searching for a particular topic easier, just use the "find in page" feature on the web browser...)

Thanks,

Rustytruck
  • jkwcmwjkwcmw Member Posts: 11
    I have a dent in the chrome trim that is directly under the drivers side front window. Does anyone know if this is replaceable or fixable? By the way... 2000 Max GLE

Thanks