Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    but does anyone know if the car gets longer outside, larger interior, different EPA classification, or it is the same as this year?...I gues what I am wondering is, will the Max actually become 95% of what the I35 is, making the I35 an overpriced vehicle?...what will the I35 have that the Max does not?
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    I was curious to know what VOB stands for, I can't figure it out.
  • gooniesgoonies Member Posts: 24
    hi all, i own a new 2001 gle. luv the car, great engine, build quality, etc, etc, etc. anyway my only complaint is that the steering and handling feels a bit loose or light. i heard about something called a "fstb" which is suppose to improve handling dramatically, especially on a maxima. can someone explain the difference in the feel of the steering wheel with this add on. will it make the steering wheel feel heavier, with better on center control(thats what im looking for). maybe its just the gle model and the se has tighter handling. also supposedly nissan offers this as an oem part which you could buy or have them installed. anyone know what something like this would cost and if it easy to install(dont trust the 2nd rate mechanics at my nissan). thanx everyone!
  • golfprdgygolfprdgy Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys! Just got a 2001 Maxima GLE this morning. Paid $24,800 plus tax, tags, and fees for it. Do you all think that was a pretty good deal?? My dad and I had to argue a bit to get them that low. I can't wait to add more posts about my car!
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Member Posts: 167
    stands for Front Strut Tower Brace...its simply a bar that is installed under the hood over the engine. It runs across the engine bay, connecting the strut towers with a few bolts. They run around 100 bucks (three diff brands that i know of). I dont have one, but I can probably say that it will not affect the "tightness" of your steering wheel. It actually adds stability to your car to prevent it from twisting around tight cornering. RSB's are also available...
  • gnlgnl Member Posts: 94
    Excellent deal! What options do you have? What color? Welcome to the group!
  • chilly1chilly1 Member Posts: 9
    Well,

After having been a long time Toyota buyer, I just finally change over to Nissan.

We just purchased 2001 SE 20th anniversary edition 5 speed manual with most of the options. Only option that we did not get was the 6 disc CD player. We purchased the Merlot with the black leather interior. I have to say that I am really impressed with this vehicle. I think we did alright. The invoice of this vehicle showed at 27,464 according to Carsdirect Edmunds showed slight different, but my credit union confirmed the Carsdirect invoice. We indeed up getting the vehicle at 27K even. I even almost got what I wanted on my trade in. I guess it pays to walk in about 45 minutes before they close after a big weekend sale. You could tell they didn't want to hassle for to long and go home so we got right to the point. Only took about 20 minutes to get the price I wanted.

The next step is to get the ECM updated with the software fix for the throttle issue. I have to admit that I didn't find that is was that much of problem, but it did get slight jerky at parking lot speeds. We will see if the update fixes the problem.

I am really thankful that this board exists because I think it really helped me in getting a good deal (not great) on this car. I think this was a win/win for the me and the dealer.

Anyways I look forward to continued interaction with everyone.

:)
  • one_loveone_love Member Posts: 28
    I own a 87 Nissan Maxima and I'm looking for a new vehicle. It's going to be a Nissan of course but I don't want to trade it it in, I want to keep it as a spare so I have 2 main questions for you guys.

First off the dealership service department told me I need to replace the power steering belt because they say it's craking. Is it realling that important to replace? Second they also said the Alignment is wrong is that important too? I went to sears to get it fixed but they took my money and didn't do anything!

Second main question. I test drove this beautiful used 2000 Maxima in Satin blue. But It had about 21000 miles on it, No leather, No Sun roof, No power seats and I'm sure it didn't have the bose stereo either pluse the inner part of the door is rusting and thier is a little crack in the right side of the windshield. The dealer wants me to pay $21,373 for it I thought that was outrageous so I told him $18,800 considering the possibility of the Tranny problem or who knows if it even got in an accident. I need your guys Input.

Thanks
  • teknogeek9teknogeek9 Member Posts: 12
    You can check the power steering belt for signs of cracking and if it is, I would recommend replacing it. The last thing you need is to be driving without power steering unless you are a participant in the Worlds Strongest Man contest!
    As for the alignment, you can check for that too by examining the tires and looking for signs of abnormal wear. If Sears took your money and didn't do anything, obviously you got ripped off.
    And finally, I would be suspicious about a 1 year old car showing signs of rust. Imagine what it could be like in those spots that you can't see such as inside the doors. Coupling that with a suspect tranny, I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicle was owned by someone who beat the crap out of it and didn't care.
  • sidmansidman Member Posts: 10
    Hello all,

I recently purchased a sweet Black Max SE '01 CC pack in a 5 speed with Blk leather. I totally love it. Now however, I would like to tweak it a bit to make it a little faster. Where could i start (ie intak, exhaust, etc.). If you have some recommendations please let me know.

By the way, I got the car a 500 below invoice at 24k not including tax and tag
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    try www.stillen.com
    a supercharger would definitely be nice :)
  • yaoxyaox Member Posts: 14
    I went to pick up my 01 nissan maxima today. Everything is ok until last stage. In the work sheet of nissan 3.9% APR, the finacing manager wanted to charge me some fee called "disablity credit insurance", about $980. He said nissan charges it, but I didn't believe it. Are you guys who uses 3.9% APR also charged this money? Thanks.
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    I never heard of the "disability credit insurance". When I got my Nissan financing, I was able to finance 100% of the vehicle with no additional charges.

-umpopa
  • txcarbuyertxcarbuyer Member Posts: 19
    Yes Yaox, you should NOT believe it.

I purchased a 01 Nissan Maxima on Saturday and got 3.9% APR too for 100% of the car with a minor trade-in. The disability credit insurance is OPTIONAL and NOT required. I hope you didn't get it because regular disability insurance is cheaper IF you REALLY need it.

Suggest you contact Better Business Bureau if it sounded fishy.
  • txcarbuyertxcarbuyer Member Posts: 19
    What aftermarket 6-CD changer works with the factory head unit for a 01 Maxima GLE?

I know Honda head units work with Alpine, but I don't know which brand matches Nissan.

Please help. Thanks! It would be very helpful if you could tell me the brand and model number.

Thanks!
  • opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    VOB is a local dealer, stands for either volvo of bethesda or volkswagon , can't remeber which, I don't think they sell either any more, nisssan and saab last I looked

Mark
    Thanks for response of my problem. Fortunately I didn't pay that money and drive back that car. There are really many tricks in dealership. Understand each money you are charged before you sign it. Thanks again.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Joe:

Haven't seen you on here for awhile. Gotta question
    for you if you have a minute to devote.

Have a y2k SE. It is pretty much a done deal for the '02 Max. 260hp w/ a six-speed available, right?
    I would very seriously look @ the new one with an
    eye toward trading UNLESS Nissan intends to do
    something RADICAL with the '03 model. What have you
    heard, if anything, about Nissan's plans for the
    2003 model Max? Thanks much, Joe!!

berbel
  • max125max125 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased 01 Max SE Auto w/CC package a few weeks ago for $23,900(sticker was $26,960) and 3.9% finance. I have a question regarding the first oil change. After the break-in period of approximately 1,000 miles, is it necessary to get the oil change at that time? or wait until 3,000 miles as suggested in the manual. Thanks
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    insurance are always optional...they are some of the highest profit items sold at the dealership..
    one should only consider them if you cannot qualify for any other life or disability insurance
    Change your oil at 1,000 miles. You'll clear out any tiny bits of metal ground off during the break-in period. It's cheap insurance - considering you just spent upwards of $23,000 for the car, why be stingy on a small-ticket item like oil changes.
  • newbie5newbie5 Member Posts: 25
    Well I had my '01 SE Auto for a month and got my first door ding a couple of days ago. I'm assuming it isn't worth the cost of haven't it repaired because this is a rather expensive process? Also, ding #2 may just be down the road. Thanks. BTW, had Saturn SL2 for 3 years. No door dings!!
  • snapstersnapster Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a Maxima. The only things I really want are an SE with Leather and a manual trans. I REALLY hate driving a new car off the lot, and losing all that money, but with the 260hp, 6 speed coming out in october, I'm not sure if I want to buy a used 2001 instead. 38hp is a lot. So, does anyone know where I can find some more info about the 2002? What gas mileage will be like, what performance numbers, etc? I'd like to see mileage estimates much like the current 2001, but I'm not sure if that is possible with the displacement going up .5 L. Anyway, hope someone can help me here. Give me your opinions too.
    Mike
  • newbie5newbie5 Member Posts: 25
    I believe maintenance schedules in manuals gives what is necessary to maintain the warranty on the vehicle. Although most manuals for new cars state 3,000 - 4,000 for first service, it probably couldn't hurt to get an oil change. Will it help is quite a different story!
  • spider780spider780 Member Posts: 6
    I have a '91 maxima gxe, every few minutes for no apparent reason the seatbelt warning light and bell com on. I always wear my seatbelt, and have tried fastening the passenger side also, but it still happens. Any ideas? any way to disable this?
  • jjckfcjjckfc Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, just wanted to share my purchase info... Bought a Gray 2001 Max 20th Anniv. with all opts for $27,400 at Rosenthal Nissan (Tysons Corner), with the 3.9% financing. Couldn't get the frost interior, (apparently there are only 20 5spd's on the entire East Coast according to the dealer) so I settled for black. Used the fax attack & it worked great (will use this approach from this point forward). Anyway, pretty happy with the deal and thrilled with the car. I just want to get throught the break-in period so I can really have some fun.
    I got my car yesterday. 2001 Nissan Maxima GXE automatic with C/C peal. $22,000, 3.9% APR, about $800 below invoice. Thanks for the information I got from this area. Today I formally join this area as an owner. Have fun.
  • djp2cdjp2c Member Posts: 39
    Want to see the new MAXIMA and CAMRAY MODELS?

Go to this site and the Max is the Skyline and the Camray I'm not sure which one of two it is.

It's a Japanese Site

http://www.mag-x.com/scoop_index.html

• obizyanaobizyana Member Posts: 2
    Greetings, all. We are actively shopping for a new car, and the Maxima is in our final three. We have been quoted a price for a 2001 GLE with sunroof, Z traction control, Meridian Package, floor mats, and splash guards for $25,600 plus taxes, tags, and processing fee (Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia area). Any thoughts or comments on this pricing? Thanks.
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    The max can't be the skyline - cause the skyline is its own model. In japan the Cefiro is the max (known to us as the I30).

The car they are showing is the tweaked version of the XVL concept car shown a couple years back and being introduced as the R35 next gen of skyline in japan. The Max will be built on a stretched Altima platform (or so they say). Btw the rumor is the the Skyline will be introduced as a infinti badged car
    That's an excellent price, assuming the processing fee isn't too outrageous. Does that include destination fee? I paid $26,300, including destination, for the same car in Michigan last year (y2k model). No processing fee from that dealer. That price seemed to be pretty close to the best deal that people were getting at the time. If your price doesn't include destination that would make your comparable price $26,100, plus processing, plus taxes and tags. So if your processing fee is less than $200, I think you've got a good deal. Go for it. Enjoy the ride!
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    Was wondering if anyone had replaced the 225/50/17 tires on an SE model yet? If so, what brand did you replace the OEM tires with? What was the cost of the tires? My friend is looking at a 2k SE with only 23,000 miles and the tires are worn out and need replacing badly. The dealer said that replacements of the same brand were $185 a piece and that they were teh only exact size replacements available. What should I tell my friend to do?
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    Depends on what your friend thinks of the potenzas. I personally don't think that they are all that good. But if he likes them he should shop around because I have seen them for $160 apiece.

As for options there aren't a lot options for our 17in "stock" wheels. A couple of people I have talked to have replaced their tires with Michelins Pilot XGT Z4s and say that they perform significantly better than the OEM bridgestones potenzas that we have on the 17in stock wheels. .
  • warrenulwarrenul Member Posts: 50
    I personally think that the Potenza performs surprisingly well for it's high performance characteristics and all weather capabilities.

I have 12,000 miles and there are no signs of visable wear yet. I hope that they last longer than 23K miles.

I do want to go a bit larger when I do replace them..maybe something like 245/45-17. I'll see what other owners put on as replacements before I decide. As for cost, even if you get OEM Potenzas thru mail order, you better be prepared for spending $800 or so, depending upon shipping costs, mounting/balancing and tax, if applicable. Thats alot of dough just for replacing tires.
  • edromoedromo Member Posts: 3
    The Pure Oil Filter Catalog lists a L14610 for a 2001 Maxima. The number for the 2000 is a L14620 or a PL14620. The engine is the same, they both fit and the PL14620 should be a better filter. Does anyone know why they changed filters? The Pure oil web site answer man didn't answer me.
  • konwerekonwere Member Posts: 3
    A dealer in Pittsburgh claims to have a Maxima GXE Special Edition in stock. It's got leather seats, Stereo Cassette/CD, Aluminum/Alloy Wheels, Power driver's seat, automatic temp controls, etc.
    The dealer could not produce any car documents that show the actual model, but I did notice they had crossed off "GLE" (on the window sticker), and inserted "GXE".

Did Nissan make such a "special edition" model, or is this just a "loaded" GXE with options ? The mileage is 23000 miles, and they want $18700 (down from $20000.)

Ken
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I believe they just got an Canadian model GXE and added leather seats themselves. What type of alloy wheels were they, were they sporty looking or more luxury looking. Check to see if it had a power passenger seat, if it did, it is a GLE, if it doesn't, it is probably a GXE. Good luck, and that is a great price, I'd look into it very carefully.

Also, about the 2002,
    I'd wait a little while longer before I'd buy a 2001. There maybe fewer 2001 SEs in late August/early September, but they will still be around somewhere. I would personally wait on the 2002 unless it has those stupid clear taillamps, which I think is out of place in a car in this market segment. go to www.freshalloy.com for more info on the 2002 Maixma, check the forums.
    Good luck
  • tuhlertuhler Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know what Nissan is offering in June on the Maxima? If you do, please tell me. I am waiting to buy an SE. Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • jimmie8jimmie8 Member Posts: 31
    Hi,
    I've got a 97 SE 5-speed and the service engine soon light recently came on. Took it to the dealer, hooked it up to the DTC, and he told me the front right O2 sensor is bad (think its sensor B2). Has anyone ever changed an 02 sensor? Does Trak Auto even carry O2 sensors? I have the microfiches for the Maxima, so hopefully I should be able to find the general location of the sensor...but I'm not even sure if I know what to look for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    James
    I have a lot of Music CD-R. I wonder if there is any problem to play CD-R in in-dash CD player of 01 Maxima. It is said that CD-R or CD-R/W will cause some jam in the manufacturer's manual. If this jam occurs, does warranty cover it? Thanks.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    Though I don't own a Maxima, I did have a CD-R jam in the CD player of my Dakota. At some point in time while the CD-R was in the player over the period of a day or two, a wrinkle developed in the label. I think that this is what caused the jam. It was covered under warranty on my vehicle and Dodge sent the CD back to my home, thankfully, since it was sound board bootleg from a friend. I no longer use CD with labels in any sort of non-tray loading CD-player like car units or my Sony ES changer.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Look at www.tirerack.com

Unfortunately, the 225/50R17 is an odd tire size as only a few tires are made in that size with the cheapest being the potenzas ($161).

Your friend could go with a different size that offers more of a selection (say 245/45R17 or 235/45R17), however that may slightly change his/her speedometer readings (by 1 to 2% - which isn't bad). Here's a speedo calibration link:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Goodluck

Look at www.maxima.org

They offer a lot of info relative to maxima modifications (fstb and performance).

I must warn you though that its very additive.
    Mike,

Keep in mind that the 2002 max is a transition car. An all-new max (2003 model) is suppose to be out in the spring of 2003. That may be THE car. I have a 2000 and I'll probably look at the 2002 (but not TOO hard, hopefully :-)

If the 2002 Altima is so nice, then I'd expect the 2003 max to be really nice.

Just my opinion.

I'll probably wait until Nissan admits then corrects the paint chipping problem before I plunk down another $25k-$30k. Hopefully they'll have that corrected soon.

Goodluck
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    i own a 2000 max se with only 4500 miles..if your friend is looking at a used 2000 with 23000 miles and the tires are shot i'd first question that the car has more mileage than it shows..has this car ever been parked???thats a lot of riding...if your friends interested how about a 2000 max se gray lustre/charcoal,c/c package, mudguards,wind deflector,floor mats..want to make an offer?????also in years to come i think that size tire will be used in more applications..lets hope so
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    92drexel....I passed along the website you mentioned to my buddy. Great info.

He said that he talked to a friend who owns a tire shop and he looked up the OEM tires. Said that they only had a treadwear rating of 160. Which is very short compared to alot of other Goodyear, Michelin, and other performance tires with over 300 treadwear lives. Those Bridgestones sure wear out fast huh? I mean I had a Z28 with the Goodyear GSC's that lasted for almost 40k. Anyway, I digress. Maybe by the time all these '00 and '01 Maximas and I30t's need a set of replacements, there will be more choices.

Oh....the tire shop guy did recommend one other tire that is made in that size, Nitto (or something like that). Neither of us had heard of that one before. It listed for about $130.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    we own a 2k Maxima GLE. when we first got it we noticed that the front passenger door didnt close as well as the others...now the window seems to be fit pretty loosely in the door assembly. when u close hte door (when the window's open) the glass shakes. not like its gonna fall out, just a lil concerned that itll eventually get worse.

and this ones not really important but is there a way to keep the license plate frame on the rear of the car without it vibrating against the trunk lid whenever i shut it? there are no bolts to secure the frame on the bottom. i tried placing mounting tape there, but it was an unsuccessful attempt.

-Justin
  • edwardsa1edwardsa1 Member Posts: 34
    FYI, the Nitto NT-450 is also available in 225/50R-17. They are supposed to be nice, and are considerably cheaper than the Michelins or Potenzas (~$125/tire).
  • gooniesgoonies Member Posts: 24
    ok i have a new 2001 gle when ever i make a medium to hard corner at slow speed (eg.15mph), i hear a "croaking" sound coming from the right front wheel.i also hear it when i go over speed bumps. i think what ever is making that noise in the suspension needs to be oiled or worn down some by more driving. i only got 400 miles. should i be concerned about it now or will it go away. thanx for any info you guys can pass along. and also thanx for answering the fstb question.