Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Man, I swear, everywhere I go I see more and more impalas around. It kinda pisses me off when I see 2 other LS's at a stop light right beside me. It also funny when we all give a look of disgust ti each other. LOL. No more Impalas please.

Well As soon at that GTO cames to the US, I'm buyin it. Cant wait.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My dealer has no Impalas and hasn't had but one or twon the lot at any one time this year.
    Last year he had 10 or more all the time.

How about you guys, are they available where you live?
  • Options
    jpatsujpatsu Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Chevy Impala Base with the 3.8L engine. I was leaving a restraunt last night when my car just died. It didn't make any weird noises, it just turned itself off. The battery light on my message center came on, but I believe that is because the vehicle was off with the key in the on position. I tried to turn the engine over three or four times, and it wouldn't work. I let it sit for a couple seconds, and then tried again and it came alive and everything was great.
    I scanned the car this morning and got three history codes.

P0230 Fuel Pump Control Circuit
    P0748 Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical
    P1689 TCS Delivered Torque Control Circuit

I would guess that the engine died because somehow the fuel delivery was cut off. I just got this vehicle serviced at the dealer about 50 miles ago, but I don't believe they messed with any part of the fuel system (Fuel filter change?). It was my 18000 mile checkup.

Since the codes are all history does this mean that I shouldn't worry about it? I know that if it happens again the codes will probably be moved to pending.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I will probably be contacting the dealer later today, but I've also heard that they don't really know what they're doing...

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I got a new key fob on EBAY so I could have an extra one. I have the factory service manual and followed the directions using by using the radio to program the new fob but it would not work. The person I bought it from told me it would work with 2000 - 2002 Impalas and it looks identical but the part # is different. Is it possible that the fob is not compatable with mine. the part # on the new one is 10443537 and the old one is 25678792. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
  • Options
    Right on.
  • Options
    otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    Went by my dealer's parts/accessories department Tuesday and took those part numbers with me:

The guy found the part numbers for the tail light covers in the computer, but with no price.
    88954946 is the Left Hand Cover
    88954947 is the Right Hand Cover

So, he gave some GM automated system a call, and not only got info, but got pricing! Unfortunately, it ain't cheap.

88954948 is indeed the Trunk Cover.
    Price for the Tail light covers: $115.23 EACH!!!
    Price for the Trunk light cover: $209.72!!

He couldn't find the 88955393 part number in either the computer or in the automated system. However, he stated that it gave him a message saying that the part number was "incomplete" or something to that effect, which implied that it was "in progress". He expressed the opinion that perhaps it was a kit for all three covers that is being worked on or some such.

Also, I didn't see color mentioned anywhere on the computer, so for all I know, these are unpainted as well. I would hope that the possible kit number is what we'd really want.

Otto
  • Options
    Took a little trip down to Beaufort, SC today to pick up an architectural plan book.
    Left Charleston at 2:30pm and got back home at 5:15pm. Decided I wouldn't drive over 65 mph just to see what kind of gas mileage I could pull down.
    With some city driving I got 34mpg!!
    And I have the 3800 engine.
  • Options
    jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    What an outrage. Why can't Chevy import these:

http://www.gmme.com/chevrolet_cars/caprice/caprice_ss.htm

http://www.gmme.com/chevrolet_cars/lumina/lumina_ss.htm

Sorry I keep bringing this up, but I just want a much faster Impala than what's sold in the USA.

• Options
    driveme2drinkndriveme2drinkn Member Posts: 15
    I followed the instructions in the owners manual and the key fob programming worked just fine. I did discover, the hard way, that when you re-program a key fob, you need to do all of the key fobs! It's kind of funny, but my 2000 LS only came with one key. Classic Chevy in Anaheim Hills CA would not throw in any additional keys when I purchased the car, but they did give me a "hand full" of fobs. Figure that one out.

On an unrelated note, I discovered that the Impala has drain holes in the spare trunk well, which comes in handy if you ever have a cooler leak. We returned from Sonoma to find three inches of water back there. Those engineers at Chevy must think of everything!
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    What kind of scan tool are you using? My understanding is that ALL codes scanned after the fact are historical codes. Pending codes are ones where a 'out of range' value is sensed but not enough times to trip a real DTC (AKA historical code). These pending codes (I believe) are erased when the car is shut off and restarted. Thus you wouldn't get a pending code after the fact.

Thus the historical code failures are likely the ones that caused the engine to die. Why it happened is an unanswered question though. Sounds like an intermittent, which will have to happen a few more times before you know what's going on. There's probably only one failure that caused all three codes to trip.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Was at Chevy dealer this morning. Saw an used 94 Impala SS. Dark blue, grey leather, a very small spoiler. 105,000+ miles, absolutely no waranty. The paint is old/dull, but otherwise the car is beautiful.

When returning home, looked at Edmunds for used car prices. The Impala SS may cost up to $13,000 if in perfect condition, $9,000 if in bad shape. Wow! This is almost twice more than 94 Buick Roadmaster Limited Cedan - practically the same car with the same engine...

Sort of cult?
  • Options
    regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    On average how many Miles/Kilometers do you get on a full tank of gas, during highway driving?
  • Options
    jpatsujpatsu Member Posts: 4
    I am using the Autotap Pro. There is a difference between history and pending. A pending code is one that has turned the MIL (Check Engine Light) on. A history code is set when the PCM sees something wrong, but hasn't seen it enough to be sure that it's a problem. This is the same as you said... but I don't think that the history codes are reset when the vehicle is shut down. It could be different depending on which codes are set though.

I didn't clear the codes either because I'd like the PCM to do the correct thing if it happens again. If the MIL starts flashing the next time it happens (if it happens again) then I'll know that it's a major problem. I'm already scheduled to take it into the dealer on Monday.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    As we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    Actually, the Impala SS you mentioned was nothing like the buick roadmaster. It was based on the Caprice Classic and was given a high performance V-8 engine (from the corvette?) and other high performance goodies. It was/is a very nice road car and also pretty rare so it has held it's value exceptionally well.

If you're at all interested in it and it is really in good shape I'd definitely take it for a test drive!
  • Options
    You can compare the specs yourself: 1994 Buick Roadmaster Limited:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/buick/roadmaster/4drlimitedsedan/specs.html?id=lin0066

and 1994 Chevrolet Impala SS:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/chevrolet/impala/4drsssedan/specs.html?id=lin0066

Engine is the same. Weight and dimensions are very close, especially wheelbase - looks as these cars were built on the same platform.

and the last - no, I have no intentions to buy either of these cars.
  • Options
    The Roadmaster wins for cooler name, though.
  • Options
    A lot of impala SS people are unaware that the Caprice with the towing package was actually quicker than the Impala SS.
    The Caprice was available with a 3.23 rearend, the Impala SS could only be had with the 3.08 rearend.
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    My real life HIGHWAY ONLY driving MPG has ranged from 28 to more than 32 MPG.

It varies with SPEED, WEIGHT in vehicle - number of people, cargo, TERRAIN (flat, hilly or mountainous), roadway surface material and condition - wet or dry and maybe even headwind, tailwind etc on a really long trip (over 500 miles).

Cruise control is excellent and really holds a constant speed - even in the western mountains of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

The tank holds 17 gallons so now you can do the math and convert to metric.

Low fuel light comes on with about 3 gallons remaining in tank.

I consider the fuel economy very good on the highway for the size of this car.
    MPG in local neighborhood driving with lots of stops and starts is a different story. That 200HP engine just isn't built for those short runs.
  • Options
    3871338713 Member Posts: 26
    Where do you get the production numbers? Good to see Chevy is doing well.
  • Options
    norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    The Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham is also on the same platform. My 1993 Fleetwood Brougham has similar cowl,hood, w/shield, front suspension,and many other components as the Impala SS. The ride and road feel is totally different. My Brougham turned 100,000 miles in Feb and looks and drives as new. If I want a fun ride, I drive my 2000 Impala LS. Enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Go to www.autonews.com. Scroll down a little bit and on the right you will see the week's auto production. Download the pdf.
  • Options
    25,361 Impalas built in April!!
    If Chevy keeps this up they will be building 300,000 a year.
    The only vehicle that was built in greater numbers by Chevy was the Silverado.
    Looks like Chevy will sell more Impalas than Cavaliers.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    With the popularity of the Impala, Chevy should seriously consider introducing the SS version right NOW!
  • Options
    fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Today I was driving on the highway doing 65mph (posted speed limit.. :) and I was driving in the fast lane when another LS came up along side mine in the middle lane, and another Impala base model came up along side on the right lane, all of us along side each other and the same color too. Galaxy Silver. It was a fun moment. We all gave each other thumbs up and then pulled away from each other for safety reasons. Regarding gas mileage, I average on highway driving from 28 to as high as 32mph. The longer the distance and constant speed determines the gas mileage the Impala will provide. I love this car on the highway.... smooth and fun to drive. I never get tired behind the wheel. WHERE IS TEO?
  • Options
    >>>all of us along side each other and the same color too. Galaxy Silver. It was a fun moment.<<<

I would have had an entirely different reaction.
  • Options
    larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    Impala SS vrs. Roadmaster: I stand corrected - and somewhat disappointed. I don't know whether to be more distressed about the SS or impressed with the Roadmaster....

b4z - Availability: When we bought our LS the last weekend in March, I bet the dealer - Dimmit Chevrolet in Clearwater, FL - had at least 40+ impalas on the lot in all colors and option packages. Availability doesn't seem to be a problem at all here.
  • Options
    Teo is not posting here anymore.
    I think many of us would like to see him back.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    GM is expected to add a third shift and 1000 employees to the Oshawa One plant that produces the Impala. They are promising "an important business announcement" this morning, and speculation is everywhere that it is about Impala production.

Given the scarcity of Impalas on dealer lots (my dealer has only ONE!) it seems clear that GM can't keep up with the current demand.

Is this good or bad? Part of me says it's good because it could improve the odds of an Impala SS in the near future. Part of me agrees with Garypen that it would be nice to have a slightly more unique car. Oh well, I'll have to keep mine unique by keeping her immaculately polished.
    Brad
  • Options
    blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    someone must have hurt Teo's feelings again. he was a fountain of information and has the only PERFECT impala i know of. maybe it developed a squeak and he bailed on us!
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Actually, I hope to see more Impalas. If it becomes really popular, we should see more accessories. Then I can really make it unique.
  • Options
    I miss that perfect car of his.
  • Options
    Yes. Eventually, it will be like the old Soviet Union, where everyone drove a Lada. That would be fun, yeah.

Maybe we could all wear the same clothes too, but with different accesorries. Everyone knows how much fun it is to work in an office where everyone is required to wear a dark suit. You get to pick your own accessories, though. Talk about fun...
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The Impala could sell even more than they do if the upgrade the interior dash a bit. I think the car is a screaming good value as is but they could sell more with a little $100-200 upgrade inside. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw that in 2003 models as I heard it was a priority for Chevy and Mr. Lutz.
  • Options
    You wrote: it will be like the old Soviet Union, where everyone drove a Lada

About 50% in reallity, including Niva. Other major makes were Moskvich, Zaporozhets, and Volga. Plus many UAZ and few ZuAZ.
  • Options
    But... Won't it be fabulous when half the population is driving the same car as you?

It'll sure make it interesting trying to find your car at the mall.
    I had enough trouble yesterday after seeing Spiderman, and there wasn't another CL in sight. ;-)
  • Options
    I know he doesn't have that option. I was trying to let the people who were asking about him, to understand.
    Perhaps I was being too polite.

I emailed teo a little over a week ago to the address you gave me, but I have not heard from him.

rwebb@prucar.com
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Polite is good - discussing another member extensively like this kinda isn't.

Feel free to take any conversation like this off-line, but we shouldn't be having it here.

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    No, it's more like everyone has to wear suits, but you get to choose the color and style of suit and you can add any type of tie, vest, cuff links, hat, shoes, socks, etc.

Without the aftermarket support, your Impala will look like every other Impala on the road. If there is a larger owner base, there should be a larger demand for aftermarket parts and manufacturers will be more willing to bring items for the Impala to market.
  • Options
    Once these cars get to be about 3 years old, and the warranty is over you will start to see modified impalas.

The impala has a nice aggressive wedge shape and will make an excellent platform for modification.

I have noticed that the car is a hit with the younger kids. And that the looks grow on me more everyday.

It is also interesting that the impala has been out for 3 years now and that it is selling more every year. Usually a car starts off with a bang ans sells a little less every year after.
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Since Medium Regal blue was discontinued after 2000 I have the pleasure of knowing that only the others produced my same year will look like mine, and then I have the splash guards, the flowmaster sans resonator and Impala logo wheels caps. My car doesn't look like everyone elses, and when I do see a 2000LS MRG I only think... "Hmm, fantastic taste my friend, nice choice". Other changes were more comfort changes inside and CD changer and floor mats, but it still feels distinctly custom to me. Not to mention a blast to drive and very comfortable. I was distressed to find after buying a 2002 Altima for my wife, the vehicle we were supposed to use on weekends to give "Bluish" a break now and then, has been very uncomfortable on my back for extended periods of driving and has resulted in two trips to the chiropractor to straighten me out. For a car that cost nearly as much as mine and with a big four under the hood no less, it is not nearly as solid as my Impala. The instrument cluster is a little sportier, but the materials are no better than my car and her parking break rattles incessantly (another reason I like the foot brake rather than a handle)and doesn't appear to have a way of being fixed. All things considered, I wish we had gotten her the Passat. Oh well, we'll live with it. You know it's funny but she said she didn't want to get another Impala because it was too big, and yet her car is 199 inches long, one inch shorter than the Impala...
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    As predicted, the news was that GM is adding a shift to the Oshawa, Ontario, Car Assembly Plant Number 1 to keep up with demand for the Chevrolet Impala. Adds 1000 new jobs for GM Canada employees! This makes three shifts at the Oshawa plant.

"The plant has earned a reputation as one of the highest quality and most productive assembly plants in North America," said Michael Grimaldi, president of GM Canada.
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    What type of dual exhaust did you get for your Impala? What did your research show? I have a 2002 Impala LS and I'm looking to put some dual exhaust in there to get more horsepower. But I don't really want too much more noise ya know since it's a passenger car... What do you think of yours and what's your opinion? Thanks

Drew
  • Options
    I emailed him the other day with a question and got a quick response. He gave me a list (I am not home right now) of people that he wanted to give his email address to. I will put the list up when I am home.
  • Options
    Our 2k-ls has 6200 miles on it now and it has only been in for the amp replacement. I had the dreaded click/snap cradle noise last year. I don't drive the car in the northeast winters (salt kills) and when I started driving it this year, no more noise. It fixed itself somehow. How do you think I keep my 85 Monte SS looking new, no salt. Now my 91 s-10 blazer is taking all the salt and it has the rust to prove it.
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I just had the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Dual Exhaust installed in the beginning because I saw a conversion at a dealership, the company did about 100 Impala and Monte Carlos for them, it was rather inexpensive, aroound $395, I liked it for the looks the most, it did have that Grumble when I would listen and watch my wife drive off, as far as HP, None really the guy said 5-10 gain, but It didn't matter to me, I liked the look the best, can't get used to the LS Sport with just one pipe coming straight out, looks like it is missing one on the left side, just used to looking at my dual setup for so long. When I say "grumble" I mean it sounded like a 1990 Chevrolet Beretta GT or something, you familiar with that late 80's early 90's GM Throaty Exhaust note? Don
  • Options
    The fact that they have added a third shift to produce more impalas is great news.
    I just don't want to buying one of the cars made during the third shift.
    The workers will be too inexperienced.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Not inexperienced at all. The 3rd shift will be mostly made up of laid off Oshawa workers who have loads of experience. The rest will come from the St. Catherines engine plant and for those willing to re-locate to Ontario, the Quebec Camaro assembly plant. 1000 jobs aren't really "new" jobs.
  • Options
    That is excellent news for Canafdian auto workers and their families. It's sure a nice change from the constant news of mass layoffs.

(I wish they were making a different car, though)
  • Options
    >>>No, it's more like everyone has to wear suits, but you get to choose the color and style of suit and you can add any type of tie, vest, cuff links, hat, shoes, socks, etc.<<<

Not really. Same model car = same type of suit. The socks, tie, cufflinks, etc would be the only difference, as would accessories on the car.

My apologies to those that take pride in the fact they have splash guards or logo center caps, but when you're sitting at the light with an Impala on each side of you, the other people waiting for the light will not notice those differences. All three Impalas will look the same, and they will be happy they are not one of those three drivers.

That's how I feel when I see 3 Mustangs, or 3 BMW 3 series, or 3 CamCords. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to be less unique, or drive a less unique and rapidly becoming "common" car.