Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Bummer! Sorry to hear that you got whacked. What's that, 5 regulars here now?

-M
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Right now I do not have one. (I took back the one from Pep Boys, because it was too large) I am in the process of looking for a B&M Super Cooler, because they are a lot smaller and will fit in the area I have planned for it. I added aux lights in the front center grill and needed the clearance so I had to move the stock one. The B&M will fit in my new (Sit down, for your safty) in the second scoop I am working on, by using the second intake inlet. The air will enter the scoop and pass through the cooler and then into the engine compartment. The other inlet will be for incoming air to the Air Box. (if you saw my photos of the new scoop you would understand. http://community.webshots.com/user/my300m_ and look at the hood scoop section.
  • Options
    Post some pictures of what you're talking about. I've used a medium set epoxy to fill holes in plastic (license plate bracket holes in my bumper), but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    that link wont load---is it my computer or the server--
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about you accident. I hope you are physically fine (although mentally it is stressful loosing your pride and joy, while it is out for repairs)
    I am thing of grounding all other cars on the road so that we can be safe. Does any one believe in conspericy theories now?
  • Options
    It's working great for me here. I wonder why you guys are having trouble with it. Are the pictures in posts 6644 and 6646 not working for you either?
  • Options
    Appears to be working in both browsers for me. How strange. Maybe try exiting your browser and re-opening it, or maybe clear your cache. If anyone can see the pics let me know so I know I'm not crazy.
  • Options
    Just a reminder, here is a page with links to interesting car stuff relevant to our Ms, including the growing parts list.

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/links.htm

-M

• Options
    for those of you looking to replace worn or unsatisfactory tires and dont want to spend a lot of cash, but still want performance, appearance, snow capability, and low noise, consider the Yokohama avids. They make a model that is exact replacement for our M's. Only drawback is they are T rated--good up to 118 mph--my M only goes as fast as 112 so I dont think I'll have to worry. I had the V rated Avids on my Lincoln and they were great but much higher priced. The T rated have the same tread pattern and characteristics at a very reasonable price--would you believe $88 each plus shipping from Tirerack. Check out the tire at link below--be sure to read the testing section and also the user survey. Every response was overwelmingly positive. This will probably be my next tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_avidt4.jsp#Survey

• Options
    I just added two new chrylser guides to my car links page. The Chrylser 300M Feature Guide, and the 300M Specification Guide. The Feature Guide discusses car features, options, the changes from 99 to 00 to 01, demographic targets and other information. The specification guide provides everything you want to know about the car...gear ratios, measurements, performance data, compression ratios, and on and on. Great resources.

-M
  • Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    I am off to Vegas first thing in the morning. I hope you guy do not rattle on too much here and leave me with a hugh back long of posts to catch up to!

Be Back Tuesday!
  • Options
    enjoy the show!
  • Options
    Sorry to here about your accident. I hope you are okay and the trama of your M getting wacked heals soon!

I told you guys a few days back that there is some voodoo/black magic happening here! Some jealous Lincoln LS guy/girl has it out for our M's! Now leave them LS people alone before my M is next!(good thing it will be parked for the next four days!)
  • Options
    I know I will enjoy the show, Mike. I will be all teeth coming out of the teather!

Thank you for the advise on going that show(Cirque de Soleil)! I told my neighbor that I had tickets for the show and she told me that her boss went to that show talked about it for days!

Thanks amigo!
  • Options
    Be prepared to be overwhelmed enough to immediately spend good money on a program and a CD of the music...hehe. Just FYI, the LIVE version CD is better than the studio/regular version (I have both). It's a great way to re-live the experience over and over.
  • Options
    ...you're still here, can you see the cap pictures I posted? Seems to be some problem accessing them.
  • Options
    reasonably price tire pressure and temperature monitoring system---sound easy to install and inside monitor is linked to tires wirelessly--batteries last about 90,000 miles--who will be the first to do this mod!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/accessories/monitoringsys.html

• Options
    reasonably price tire pressure and temperature monitoring system---sound easy to install and inside monitor is linked to tires wirelessly--batteries last about 90,000 miles--who will be the first to do this mod!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/accessories/monitoringsys.html

• Options
    I like the cap size--low profile style--the M however doesnt show up that well, at least in the picture--wonder if a simple badge with a white threaded M and white outside border (or silver thread) on the badge emblem would be better than the checkered one --is that cap navy colored or black--black is nice and would match all the shirt colors--like the logo--though not sure about need for the wording underneath--I think simple may be better------without the lettering, the car and emblem could be lower --another thought--you could put a modest sized "Chrysler" above the car-emblem logo---dont get me wrong--the present design looks nice --just considering alternatives

any one else have any input as to cap color, logo design, wording, etc? after input is considered, the board should be the final decision maker---

Easyrider300m
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Hey Easy,

Brakes are cheap and transmissions are expensive. I wouldn't continually use the tranny for downshift braking. Once in a while might be ok, that's what I do.

As far as brakes are concerned, I'm at 36K now and brakes look good. I usually change all 4 at the same time and let the local tires and brake service place do it. I had them do my 94 Dodge Ram at 50K miles and got the brake fluid completely flushed out and replaced. I felt better after doing that and will probably do that when the time comes on my M.

I used to do brakes myself, but I guess now I'm getting lazy and have more money to burn. :)
  • Options
    300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    That is one sharp looking hat. My opinion would be to put the lettering on the rear of the hat (right above the hole). And have it say WWW.300Mclub.org. I think it just looks a little too cluttered like that. If that is cost prohibitive. Then just the badge no lettering would be my second vote.
  • Options
    she shield logo would be ok in the checkered pattern if the "M" were in a more contrasting color ---if it were a black hat and you had white and black checkered pattern, the M should be in like red, silver, or blue thread to contrast better so people would notice it--if thats cost prohibitive, then a simple shield without the checkerboard pattern would look better---I noticed this problem on one of the shirt colors--forget if it was the white or black shirt--you could hardly notice the "M" cause color blended in with background color---the "M" on the burgundy shirt stood out better cause of the better contrast in colors--I like having the car design with shield--lettering underneath is debatable--the idea of 300mlover sounds interesting too if it doesnt add more than a few bucks to the cost---

its too nice out to sit at the computer today--got to go out and see one customer then its off to the beach---have a great weekend everyone
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. The hat in the pictures is blue, but it's just a platform for the test logo. The actual hats might be a choice of black with a khaki brim (white logo) and khaki with a navy brim (navy logo), but we haven't decided yet. You guys prefer a solid color like the sample, or something like the following hat:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1620463&a=13479936&p=51636354&Sequence=0&res=high

I think putting embroidery on the back of the hat adds a few dollars to the price of each hat. Not sure exactly but I can check. They're already set-up to do the M a different color for us. I agree, the black M with the white logo on the maroon shirts turned out great. Maybe we reverse it here. Either a white or navy logo (depending on the hat) with a dark red M. Might look nice.

We appreciate your feedback. Keep it coming. We need to nail down the design and choices by early next week so we can have hats by the August event in Monterey,

• Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I just received a vinyl and leather repair kit from Magic Mender and tried it on my 99 300M with Camel interior.

The stuff is good. The color matched perfectly.

I had a small tear on the side of center console and also the elbow rest on the center cosole had some wear.

The tear got fixed with Magic Mender's glue, some special vinyl stuff that is white, and the Color Flex which is Camel.

On the elbow rest, I just put the Color Flex. It is kind of like paint.

Here is the link to Magic Mender:

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/chrysler_color_chart.htm

• Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    This is a most enjoyable event and well worth checking out if it happens to be coming to your town. Kudos to MT & Cadillac for sponsoring it. Several great cars to be driven on the same controlled course. They ranged in price from the Lincoln LS (over-rated) to the Benz C320(super handling little sedan) to the BMW 540i (awesome, smooth V-8 power, but the steering was a bit slow and the seat was not supportive). Caddie had the Seville STS (also awesome V-8 power), the Catera (ho-hum), and the Deville (a bit too large for my tastes, but that night vision was impressive). Also on hand were the Lexus LS430 and MB 430, both of which were beautiful and quiet but NOT sharp handling. These do not like to be pushed hard, and the slalom was a real chore with these 2. I wish I could have taken my PHP-equipped M on the course to compare. I think it would have been among the best handling on that track. There was certainly more power, luxury & quiet to be had in some, but I would rank my seat comfort above any of these cars. If price were no object, I guess I would take a Seville STS over my 300- but if someone gave me an LS 430 or that Benz S-430 I would sell it promptly and buy another 300!
  • Options
    fcmfcm Member Posts: 24
    Cirque is great. Anyone but me seen the Blue Man Group? Really good.
  • Options
    Are they better than their intel commercials? ;)
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I don't have "run-flat" tires but I have been considering the SmartTire system at Tirerack. Seems rasonable. Do you know if it gives a digital readout of all 4 tires simultaneously or does it just flash an LED when the pressure falls below a certain threshold?????
  • Options
    spyboyspyboy Member Posts: 22
    Pretty good show! I've seen it in Boston and New York. Both terrific shows.
    Irreverent fun! Took both kids (12 and 18) and they loved it. Music is super
    (if'n you like rock 'n roll). I recommend it highly. Upfront rows of seats get
    sprayed with goop. Audience participation is fun too.
  • Options
    mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    As a new owner of a 300M, I was surprised that the owner's manual recommended against using any leather or vinyl care products. Do any of you use any products to care for the vinyl on the dash or the leather??
  • Options
    mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    As a new owner of a 300M, I have been impressed with pictures posted on this forum of 300Ms with dual exhausts. Where are these obtained? Are they installed commercially or by the end user, do they just split off of the exhaust pipe behind the catalytic converter?
  • Options
    First the leather, I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner. www.zainobros.com i believe is the link.
    As for the exhausts there are as many types as there are 300M's. But there are three basic types the first is the Borla system. It cost around $500 and up and both pipes come out the driver side of the vehicle. It is a bolt on system.
    The second is a true dual system which comes off the cats down to a muffler on each side behind the rear tires. the cost is $400 and up. Usually a shop will install it for you.
    The third is what we call the Michael Hujo design with has a collector (single pipe) comming off the cats down to a muffler that splits off to two pipes. The second and third look like dual exhaust systems form the rear. Prices start at around $200. A shop can install it for you.
    All are low restriction and should improve performance and gas mileage. The Borla is the loudest and the Hujo is usually the quietest.
  • Options
    I got about a third of the painting done today. I gave the spoiler and scoop about 3 coats of primer and then sanding them. Tomorrow I will start the color coats. The spoiler is like Sdmikes except for the 15.5" LED light bar. Now I can finally get rid of the trunk mounted brake light. Unlike Avalanche, I will use epoxy to fill in the gaps between the lights and the trund lid before painting it. Another thing I am going to do is to tape over the light (trunk mounted) that way if I ever want to use it, by removing the tape I will have access to it again. Something I have learned form Avalanche"s tail light job. I posted a few pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/my300M_ They are under the scoop section.
  • Options
    Here is a link to my photo albums. There is one for the dual exhaust showing a diagram of the Hujo design. Mine was done by a custom shop, but many here have bought all the necessary parts and had a local Midas (or similar) install them. Just ask if you have any more questions.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1620463

• Options
    Won't the light shine through the tape? That might be a cool effect. :)
  • Options
    not with the primer, color coat, and the clear coat. Maybe if I use a real light coat of color, it might show through (thinking)
  • Options
    Thanks for the typo correction.
  • Options
    I see you corrected it. LOL
  • Options
    Go to the "msg goto" box at the top of the page and type in 6493. I typed a description of the different exhaust types we've used in here. You can also hit the links page at www.300mclub.org and see other examples of the hugo design, and possibly some others.

Mike
  • Options
    did you read the test done on the system--it may answer some of your questions: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/smarttire.htm
  • Options
    caroscaros Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 300M with 40Km. I have now gone through 2 sets of rotors. Local Chrysler dealer advises that it is excessive heat build up causing the rotors to prematurely distort.

I do live in a hilly area. 1,200 ft descent over 2 miles, done daily 2 or 3 times.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket higher quality rotors available.
    Thanks
    Clive
    West Vancouver BC
  • Options
    I notice my rotors also get extremely hot even with light use---you may want to downshift into lower gear on decending hills to cut down on rotor overheating---I have 20k on my M and no warpage--also make sure when you have your tires rotated, that they use a torque stick on the lug nuts--overtightening can distort rotors--on of our member bought aftermarket drilled rotors that may run cooler and have better stopping characterics---I think it may have been Fuzzy--
  • Options
    "Why American cars are unappealing" is number two thanks to some of our members posting at that site: Our rival, Lincoln LS, is number 10.
  • Options
    The 3 series BMW board is #1 (of course they have been out longer and have more cars on the road), and We are #2. No one else is even close.
  • Options
    I noticed that we are usually number 1 during the week and drop down on the weekends. Maybe it's because our cars are so fun to drive we're not spending any time at our computers on the weekends. ;)

-M
  • Options
    As of 11:30 sunday morning we're number 1 (28 posts) with the LS board second, and the Jeep Wrangler third. I wonder how often they update this list and what the time period for the counts is. Maybe PatHOST can shine some light on this.
  • Options
    was on the road early this am--very few cars on the road----see a Q45 ahead stopping at the light---pulled along side of him--I looked over at the car--grandpa was driving---didnt think he'd play but I revved up a little and he inched forward--light changes--no contest---sorry to say it, although I gave it my best, I got walloped by the Q--guess the M is no match for a 340hp Q with 333 torque---guess I best look for an I30 to play with---

I usually drive nice and easy and dont look for contests but this am I gave the M a full workout--Now maybe if I had that nitrous and prowler gears with duals and upgraded intake I could have made Grandpa's head spin---but I guess I'll go back to my EasyRiding---

PS: over on the LS board someone called the M a "poor man's LS"--and then called the LS a smart man's Jaguar---someone should teach them a road rage lesson--

Meanwhile we are now numero uno again on the Edmunds top ten list with the LS right on our tail--I say lets smoke em---Ok men, "start your postings!"

Easyrider300M
  • Options
    stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Great summary of the exhaust options. Thanks.
    Did Hanson's shop do the cutout for you? What did they use for the trim? It sure looks great.
  • Options
    stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    This may be a good question to get the postings up - kind of an informal survey of dual exhaust systems. For example for those with the Hugo design - what type of high flow muffler have you utilized behind the cats, what type of new center resonator, tips, etc., what type of performance gains (including MPGs), experience with cutout, etc.

Just an idea.