Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I'm doing something similar here myself, but my new proposition is only a few miles from my current one!

Sorry to hear about your car. Hey, it happens, right? I dinged my own door on a table at a flea market a few weeks ago. (Don't ask.)

Get a good repair shop and your baby will be good as new in no time.

I know, though ... it still hurts.

TGIF backatch!!!

(Larry probably likes it when we use that expression ...)

Meadeball
  • pcalvinpcalvin Member Posts: 44
    Just a question for past Protege (or other) car owners. What kind of wax have you used, and how helpful was it on paint longevity and when washing?
    how about RainX?
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    How does the system predict skidding? Any time one of the wheels is locked, albeit for a fraction of a second, the car is by definition skidding. ABS functions to prevent a continous lockup (skidding). It is a reactive system. A professional driver, after practicing on the same stretch of pavement, can stop a car shorter (not by much) without ABS than one with. This does not negate the usefulness of ABS.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I have a great body shop right by my work, I'm just not sure if I'll have it done right now. I will buy the splash guards right away, but the painting may wait. BTW, since I've been such a good customer of my current body shop, they will cut me a deal on the painting and not charge me any prep costs. That saves me about $70. Since it's below my $500 deductible, it's all out of pocket expense. It'll be worth it once I get it fixed, it's writing the check that hurts!!!

Pcalvin...I use Meguiar's Gold Class. It's easy to use and works great! My car is nearly a year old, has been waxed 4times already and no swirl marks at all!

Regards,

Pete
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I failed to take into account that the Protege ABS has EBD(Electronic Brakeforce Distribution). It's the EBD that allows each wheel to to reach maximum braking pressure without lock-up.

By the way, in sand, gravel and fresh snow, you want the wheels to lock up and create a wedge in front of the tires.

:)
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    This is a post I did on my Altima club page. its a brief overview of a sept-Oct 00 issue of CR on waxes. if you want I can scan and post a pic of the pages next week (I'm out of town til monday)

anyways.. here it is..

Gloss: very good Zymol cleaner wax, Nu Finsih paste, 3M 1 step cleaner wax, Eagle 1 wet polish, Blue Coral cleaner wax, Turtle Wax spray, Meguiar Gold class clear coat., Mother's cali gold liquid/paste, RainX ultra, Blue Coral self wax, Meguir's step 3 carnuba wax

Durability: excellent Prestone Bullet wax, Armor All, Turtle Wax Emerald advance liquid. very good-Nu Finish paste and liquid, turtle wax super hard shell. (Zymol was good, Meguiar's step 3 was poor.

Cleaning: excellent 3M 1 step cleaner wax,very good-Prestone bullet, Armor All, Mother's cali gold liquid.

Ease of use:excellentTurtle wax/Armor all/Meguiar's all spray kinds of the 3..not liquid or paste. very good-Zymol, prestone bullet, nu finish paste/liquid, Eagle 1 wet, Meguiar's Gold clear coat & also step 3 carnuba, Mother's Cali gold original liquid & also phase 3 Carnuba. Turltle wax super hard sheel paste, the wax shop super glaze, meguiar's cleaner wax paste.

prevent Hazing/scratching.excellentZymol, 3M 1 step, turtle wax super hard shell liquid, eagle 1, turtle wax spray, Meguiar gold class clear coat, armor all spray, Blue Coral self wax,Mother's phase 3 cali gold.

the top 10 are in order:
    zymol, prestone bullet wax, nu finish paste, armor all car wax, 3M 1step cleaner, turtle wax Emerald series advance liquid, Turtle wax superhard shell liquid, nu finish liquid, eagle 1 wet, blue coralcleaner wax with swirl remover(fair on swirl marks go figure)

if you want more info on a particular, ask...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I hate to interrupt one more time, but about a zillion posts back someone had a tongue in cheek post about this discussion being part "7" forever - well, that isn't necessary, so I'm changing the name to drop that part - from now on this will be "Mazda Protege" - I hope this doesn't confuse anyone.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Board
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Why did you put that on your dash?!?!? It stinks, it makes it greasy and shiny...UGH!!! I would have a heart attack if someone applied armor all to my car!
    ...and thanks!!!

Regards,

Pete
    I only use it on the back of my mudflaps and on my car's nosemask. I won't use it on the dash, or interior. It does stink!

Meguiar's Tire Gel smells good though! Kinda like grape Kool-aid.

Regards,

Pete
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    How can I make the smell go away? What can I use that is better? Is son-of-a-gun good?....and what is this stuff in the owners manual about leather? I do not see any leather in my 2001 protege!!
    I've noticed that Armor All tends to dry out plastics, vinyl and rubber if you don't keep applying it. I use a product called SP80 that is a water based protector but I'm not sure if they have national distribution. I think Meguires also makes a similar product, but check with a local car detailer and see what they use.

How can I make the smell go away? What can I use that is better? Is son-of-a-gun good?....and what is this stuff in the owners manual about leather? I do not see any leather in my 2001 protege!!
    It will go away by itself in about 3-5 days. If you can't wait, use some ammonia-free glass cleaner to take it off, or just use some vinegar and water.

I don't use anything on my dash but a little water to clean off the dust.

Regards,

Pete
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    My personal experience is that Nu Finish is tops by far. I put a coat on in the spring, and one in the fall. I've used it for many years on many automobiles. My 00 ES received it's first coat last July, and second last September. I live in Upstate NY . My citys nick name is "the salt city." When I washed it last week by hand the finish was like the day it came off the show room floor. I also have a 97 Nissan Quest that shines like new after 4 NY winters.

Regards,
    Mark
    Noooo I can't let the forum die....quick guys say something!!!!
    Has anyone climbed in their trunk and closed it to see if the emergency handle actually glows in the dark?
    Does the 99 Protege have the glow in the dark handle or is it just the 2000+ models?
    Let me know when you do....so that I can break into your house.
    I should have tought about that before I bought the car!!!! no more kidnappings now!!!
    Yup, the '99 has it! So let me know how it goes!

• jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    anyone ever changed spark plugs for their protege? I am thinking about changing them soon, but never done it before, any advice? I am thinking about getting bosch platinum.
    Bosch is the best brand....I would pay to have someone do it the right way.
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    well, I really want to experience/practice on how to change them. I have a pretty good idea on what do to (got the Chilton book handy.) I just need some advice on stuff that might not be in the book.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Somehow, I think this is just about the last discussion around these parts that's in danger of dying due to lack of posts! %^>)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    pacifico in Philly has all new 2001 on sale - no more 2000 proteges!!

The center dash looks kinda silly with the shiny plastic - I like the dimple plastic more...

Black seats should have been black as in the VW Jetta - then I could have appreicated it more - till then - original velvet gray looks better -

best part is the centre console layout - really improved - the handbrake and gear shift looks neat - audio system looks a bit too jazzy - not classy

no change in the engine bay - looks the same.

next time will try to get a test drive....
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    got to zooooooom real nice today after a oil change.

man, an oil change really makes da difference.. I could rev upto 4500 in 1st gear without noticing it....till I saw a cop in the center lane...damn smooth...reminded me of my test drive in 1999.

BTW, i used Castrol syntec to fill up!!
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    My power door lock switch broke off into the driver's door yesterday. Only the plastic assemby failed -- not the actual switch. I pulled out the switch (inside the door) using the wire. What a pain!!!! Luckily I have a Mazda dealer in my enforcement district. They gave me a brand new part for $21... and it was in-stock.....whewww... easy fix for my 1995 ES... ZOOMing with my doors locking now!!!

MARTIN
  • steves16steves16 Member Posts: 1
    Folks,
    I bought new Mazda 2000 ES one week back.
    I noticed whenever I apply brakes hard enough to stop the car completely and then releasing brakes padel,it makes sound.
    My dealer says it is common because " brakes boosters" are working.
    Did anyone of you notice it in your car?
    I appreciate your input.
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    It made noise while the pedal was being released? It's an automatic, isn't it?
    Are you releasing the brake quickly, slowly, or both? Is it kind of a creaking/low grinding sound? If it is(creaking) all of my previous automatics(if that's the case) did that.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    Wax: Zymol has great shine, little haze, smells good, but doesn't clean well and lasts a moderate time. NuFinish cleans better and lasts longer, but is half a notch down on shine and tends to haze black plastics it gets on.

Plugs: Bosch platinum last almost forever.
  • prozoomerprozoomer Member Posts: 2
    Meguires Gold Class Clear Coat is a great all around wax. There are some that last longer, but for the price I have been very satisfied. Meguires tire gel works great too. It's the longest lasting tire dressing I have ever used.

I have the auto and when I brake hard to a stop I sometimes hear the low grinding. Also, after zooming hard my brakes tend to "talk" to me when I get out of my car. I guess they are kind of hot, and the noise is from them cooling down. Today's metal brake pads tend to make more noise (not to mention dust)...but hey, they don't cause cancer.
    I don't like it too much. It doesn't last long, and I don't like to be putting wax on every month!

Brakes:
    Mine don't make any noise, but that's maybe because it has almost 14000 miles on it. Try waiting a while and see if it goes away. I think it's completely normal for a car with an automatic, though.

On the other hand, whenever I am in reverse, and I slowly come to a stop, I hear this whining noise from the rear brakes.
    I've seen a total of 5 Protege's today (a record - this town's population is about 100-120,000), and I had a chance to park next to two of them running around doing errands. I saw a Red ES, a White LX, Green LX, Sand Mica LX, and a Red LX.

Zoom Zoom!
    I like this zoom zoom thing....It feels good to just say it!!! I cant wait to get off work so that I can go play with my toy. I love driving my protege!!! oooooh sssooooo gooood!!! I love that engine and that new car smell!!!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My back brakes "whistle" when backing up too. The dealer said it was normal for it to do that.

One thing that pisses me off is that at 26K, I had to have my brake rotors turned and the pads replaced too. Seems kinda short. At 37K almost now, and still have pulsation from the rotors on occasion. Beware though: I took my car to Goodyear for its brake job. They tried 5 different sets of pads in stock and brought in before they finally gave up and went to the local Mazda dealer and bought them. :) And to think, that only cost me $90. :)
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    If brakes pulse after repadding, but not before, it means they didn't grind the rotors true. No excuse for that. If it happens between brake jobs, it suggests warped rotors from overheating.

Though my '99 es has rear drums, I would rate the pro's brakes "very good", if not "excellent."
    I had that problem with the rotors, but took it back and they did it again. It's pulsating a little bit again though. They also told me that on a smaller car (I have always driven big cars since driving), if you brake harder they wear out faster than normal. Interesting. Anyway, next time they cannot machine the rotors but replace them. Since I don't know if I am keeping the car or not, I am not going for that just yet.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know what the price of the 5 door is going to be and when is it coming out?
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    Do the rotors always have to be turned when replacing the pads? Even if there is no grooves or pitting of the rotors. It would seem that if your are timely enough in replacing the pads and have not damaged the rotors they shouldn't have to be turned just as a matter of course.

Vocus, you only have had one brake job and the rotors will have to be replaced next time? That sure doesn't indicate quality rotors to me. Or was there some other factors involved. i.e removing too much of the rotor surface when turned, excessive hard braking, etc.?
  • alarisealarise Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the board as a participant but I have followed it for some time. Last summer I bought a 2000 Protege LX 5sp. I appreciate all the advice and insight that this board provided while I made my decision. Now 7 months later I'm very pleased with the car. It handles well, gets good gas mileage (important since my commute is about 200 miles a day) and looks great. All the Corrola and Civic owners don't know what they're missing!
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    <132 > I've got a 00 ES too but don't notice any abnormal sounds. Just the usual creak when you lightly press the brake or release it and the car moves slightly. All Automatics I've been in are like that.

on a side note.. we took our little zoomer to miami this weekend (500mi RT) and it performed wonderfully. It was kinda windy so at times i wished we had 205 sized tires. coming back on Alligator Alley I hit it up to 100MPH and it was smooth as a baby's bottom. As soon as I hit the 100 mark I eased up and by 90MPH the wife looks over at the speed and lets out a yelp. You were almost at 100!!, No Dear, I was at 100!! , She didn't notice it all all. no whine from the engine notice. as quiet as if it was 30MPH.

And before we left Miami, we stopped to eat at a Pollo Tropical (like a KFC but Latin style), and not once, but twice our clean little green ES got some hard stares. 1st was a group of 3 that stopped and looked at the car a few minutes before driving off in their Cherokee. they checked the rear, driver's side and looked at the front awhile. Then after they left, an older gentleman took the 360 degree tour of the car. he almost hit a tree because he was looking so hard, and he actually hit the end of a low branch. All this while a new Benz convertable was in the lot a few spots down. Me and the wife were beaming with pride!!!
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I seen on another website, the Ford gets to put their engine in the Portege for the 2004 model. what a shame. I won't buy the Protege if that happens.

Leo
    If the rotors are still true, no grooves, and not overly glazed, you don't need to turn them. Of course to determine if they are true, you need to check them on the car with a dial indicator.

Your best bet is to have the rotors turned on the car (most aaccurate). All Mazda dealers turn the rotors on the car, but not all repair shops do. Make sure you ask before they start the job.

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I was on my way into work this morning when I wound up behind the second Pontiac "[non-permissible content removed]-tech" I've seen on the road.

I couldn't stop laughing when I noticed the sign the driver had printed and taped to the rear window:

"Stop laughing --
    It's a rental!!!"

Meadeball
  • 123zoom2123zoom2 Member Posts: 4
    It's been 1 week since I picked up my 01' LX from the dealership. Did the usaul routine physical checkup and it's mint. Picking up the car is a moment I'll never forget... Me and my bro couldn't help smile as our sales guy helped us drive the car up front to the dealership. My first drive home was bumpy because I wasn't used to the stiff suspension but now I love it! The engine is also quite soft... not alot of noise... the only thing that's bothering me right now are potholes!
    Recently a sever snowstorm just passed so I couldn't drive it for the next two days... sob! But now the weather is better I'm driving it to and from work and it's a great feeling to be part of something different...I look at all the honda's, corollas, and neon's out there and I say to myself thank god!

The car came with 8 clicks and now it's up to 200... I am planning to get colored mirrors and body side moldings b/c mine is a midgrade model but I don't know where to look. Would it be cheaper to paint it or replace it with one that's prepainted?
    If you have an LX and your moldings are black, is it a Canadian model? Mirrors on all Proteges are black, so you are going to have to have those painted. Moldings on LX models are colored here in the US though. You would probably make out better having both the moldings and mirrors painted to match the exterior of the car.