Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Could you slow down on the posts...I have been very busy at work and am finding it difficult to stay caught up reading 60-70 posts a day. ;^)

Just kidding! Great to see all the new owners...and the regulars too. Over 6k on my 2000 ES and no problems...NONE. No squeaks or rattles...complete satisfaction.

Back to work,

Bryan...aka "Gladichecked" ;^)
  • ...this topic gets about 30 posts a day, but we never appear on the 'Top 10 Hot Discussions' table on the main page.
  • hboydhboyd Posts: 98
    You guys forgot to mention that the 2001 ES has ALL-WHEEL disc brakes standard!! Plus, they are larger than the LX, LX-2.0, and DX!!! IMO, that alone is worth $700. :) This puppy will stop on a dime at 70+ MPH! My 1995 ES (w/4-wheel discs and ABS) stops quickly without much dosedive at high speeds; I never can make her skid even when jamming the brake pedal during "rare" emergency stops in LA traffic.

MARTIN
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    I'm waiting for this particular model to come out this June as a 2002 model. Does anyone know the price range for them yet?

Glad to see that someone had answered what was going to be my next question: which transmission. Someone mention that the Protege seems to ge gear for the automatic.

Leo
  • I was thinking of heading over to Burdick myself on Sunday just to get a close up look at the 2001s.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    still no price but it should be kept under 20K even for the sport model.

transmission is personal taste. You will bet more pep and better mileage on a manual, but there is always the convenience of Auto. but get what you want now because you will kick yourself later for not getting the other one.

I have an Auto Altima, mainly because its to be the family car and so the wife can drive it. but i really wish it was a 5-spd now. especially since she got the Auto Protege...
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The mileage issue is not really important.

Mazda claims(2.0L):
    25 city/31 highway - Manual
    25 city/30 highway - Automatic

It all boils down to if you want an engineer determining when to shift. Personally, I like to push my vehicles and most automatics are not made to perform on the higher RPMs.

:)
    I'm sorta in the same situation as nikecar, it will become the family car (as well as my commuter car to work). Rough translation is the wife will need to drive it thus needs an automatic (unless we can find nice cheap used car???). I like manual trans. just for the "fun" factor of driving them. Unfortunately, when it comes time for "us" to make "our" decision, the wife usually wins---how do wives' influence us poor husbands so much ;)

Oh, the other reason I asked about depreciation of Mazda's was because I was wondering what if had an accident with it. For example, let's say I got my new Protege and driven it for 2years when one fall night I hit a deer and do several thousand dollars of damage to my car---which still has two years of payment left. Would the Protege still hold enough of it's value left to warrant fixing it? You see, I'm also lloking at the Hyundai Elantra hatchback. What I'm concern about with this company is availability/acessibilty parts and their cost. I think that this Hyundai would lose it value much quicker so that in two years if I did have the misfortune of having an accident, even a minor fender bender, that the car would be consider a loss.
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    I wouldn't worry about it if your outlook is two years. Let's say a Civic would cost you $16,500 and a Protege would cost you $15,000. Two years later, let's say the values on the cars are $11,500 and $10,000 respectively. You're concerned about what happens if the damage is, for example, $11,000. They'll fix the Civic and cut you a check for $10,000 on the Protege. I would say chances of sustaining that much damage is so remote it shouldn't be a factor. And years down the road the difference would be $1,000 or less. Yes, I agree. Chances of the Protege being declared totaled is higher than the Civic, assuming everything else being equal.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The wife loves to drive a manual trans. She loved our '87 Jetta GLI manual, the '98 Protégé ES manual and then the '99 626 V-6 manual. When it came time for the MPV, she was a little disappointed that it only came with an auto.

So when it's available, manual trans always wins.

Leo, I'm curious about your point with resale value. Do you want a car with resale value or not? My guess is that the Protégé will pick up in resale as more and more of these magazines keep publishing accolades.

:)
    I hope so too but several car magazines, as well as Consumer Reports, have considered the Protege one of the top choices for many years.
  • Anyone tried these lights.

Performance Green Plasma bulbs, 110/90 Watt light output bulbs - as sold on ebay.

They run on more power than the standard (factory) lights. I heard that may burn out some wiring or melt the lenses. Anyone had any experience with them?

Just wondering how they would look on my green ES.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I have the plasma blue lights on my 1999 DX. I have had them constantly on (driving) for up to 3-4 hours and no problem. They do usurp more energy though, and the dashboard lights "dim" a little when you turn them on because of the power they suck. But no other problems. Alot brighter and clearer light from them too.
  • $30 minimum if I get them on "FleaBay!" Know where I could get a deal on them.

How do they look? Are they street legal? I bought some cool green wheel lights a while back, but found out they are not legal in NY. They were awesome too.
    yep, you are lucky that your wife likes manual transmission. I can't get my wife to budge on that.

my first post regarding the Protege was my mis-choice of words. I was thinking how well the Protege "holds it value" but instead used "resale value". Truthfully, I don't care about the car's resale value because I typically keep my cars for a long time and accumulate high mileage. What I was most concerned about was how quickly Mazda would depreciate. But hkchan relieved those concerns.
    Wait. This is getting confusing.
    You defined "resale value" as something that you don't care about since you typically keep your cars for a long time.
    Then you defined "holds its value" as "how quickly the car would depreciate".
    How are they different? Glad to be able to help but now I don't even know what your question was? Hehe.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Hey, we finally made the TOP of the "10 Hot Discussions" list here at Edmund's Town Hall!! :) Cool!!!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!
  • If you want to drive the ES you had better not wait till Sunday. My rep was fairly certain the old yellow SOLD would be on the wiper by Friday.

They have the green ES 5-Speed with the premium packedge, and a loaded light green LX 2.0 auto. They are both way out back by the body shop. They don't want to get them too close to the 15 00's they still have. It's too bad the pro's don't sell better in our neck of the woods. Just proves how the "I've got a Honda cause I know someone with one" syndrome works.

Regards,
    Mark. :-)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I just want to point out to speedypt and anyone else interested that now that we have relocated Town Hall to a different software platform, there is no longer a need to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts.

So this can be your permanent home for conversation about this vehicle.

Carry on...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards