Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Um, what kind of urgent help are you looking for from us, your fellow owners? It's a brand new car . . . it has a warranty . . . tell the dealership to fix it!
  • richbraverichbrave Member Posts: 8
    Just additional information on Oil filters. Fram does make a filter for the 2002 CRv's. The numbers are PH7317, TG7317, DG7317, and XG7317.

These can be purchased from your friendly Wal-Mart stores.

Question: Has anyone found a good method to get to the filter on the 2002 CRv's??

Thanks
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    i just had mine done at the dealer for free,so i could not tell you i only have 4000 so at 7000 i will let you know cus i am not taking it to the dealer for some some thing i have been doing to all my cars.but i was looking at it and it look like you could be able to get it from the top.
    greetins from sunny miami
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Somewhere back in this board I wrote about my first experience with the '02 oil change. I can't remember what message # it was but I can give you a few hints. carlsommer buy the filter go to the auto store and get a round filter remover that fits the small dinky honda crv filter use a 3/8 socket handle. the strap filter won't work. If its your first time wrap rubber bands or sandpaper or friction tape around the filter it will come off after some effort. [the Japanese are paying us back for the war].
    Richbrave, you can get to the filter easily from under the front right side. Just cover the areas underneath the filter with saran wrap or a plastic cover. The filter spills oil when removed. Watch out for the fram filter make sure its the same size as the dinky honda filter also check the guts because the small honda filter has a valve at the bottom and looks to me that the strainer is much better. Hope this helps you.
  • jyeungjyeung Member Posts: 4
    You can get to the oil filter from the top. But you have to remove a bolt or two and reposition a canister piece so you can insert you arm in a spot near the passenger side firewall. It is too hard to reach from underneath.
  • belmontriderbelmontrider Member Posts: 2
    Today I had to move my car out of my garage and park on the next block because my neighbor needed the driveway when moving out. Later when I was ready to leave I came out to see a police tow truck had moved my car about 4 car lengths away from my spot . Evidently, I had mistakenly blocked a (very small) driveway and the homeowner had called the police. He hadn't left yet because he said he didn't realize it was 4 wheel drive and needed to use some other wheels (?) (I didn't understand what). After a discussion with the police, I paid the driver, he disconnected the small wheels from my car and drove away.

Now, I am concerned with my new car (only 1000 miles). When the truck driver towed my car and then stopped, what happened? Did he damage any thing? Should I check any thing on the car? I know, I'm lucky he didn't tow me. That's the good news.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Since he only moved it about 4 car lengths you should be okay. It's only with extended towing with only two wheels on the ground that a problem might have occured due to the RT4WD engaging and then overheating.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It kind of depends on how the vehicle was being towed. I'm not clear on that. I tend to agree with theRacoon that such a short distance should not be a problem. Still, ask yourself what made him stop. How did he figure out that it is a 4X4?

RT4WD is a fully mechanical system. The electrical power does not need to be "on" for the system to engage. When it is engaged, the front wheels are locked to the back ones.

If he had the front two wheels fixed in place, then the rear wheels would have fighting against them as he pulled away. I imagine this would have provided his first clue that the CR-V is a 4X4. The rear wheels probably would have been skidding across the pavement rather than rolling over it.

If the front wheels were allowed to rotate while it was being towed, then there should be no problem. The rear wheels would be rotating at the same speed. He may have seen the front wheels spinning as he pulled away and that is what made him stop.
  • belmontriderbelmontrider Member Posts: 2
    Racoon and Varmit: the tow truck driver pointed to the rear window as he mentioned not knowing it was RT4WD. My guess is my car was bumping along on it's rear wheels and that's what made him stop to see what was happening. He happened to notice the decal and realized that was why he was not able to drive away quickly. Thanks for explaining what RT4WD is - mine is obviously working well!
  • haijianghaijiang Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

Sorry to bother you guys again.

Now we will buy 2002 CRV EX and pay it tomorrow. However, you know the dealer always has lots of tricks to earn more money from us.

They told us we have the following useful options:

1. Tires&alloy wheel protection($189 for 3 years)
    Actually we think it should be included in standard warranty but dealer told us not. Is that true?

2. Painting Sealing(Something smooth to add on your car surface to protect your car) $159

3. Front Wheel mud protection(They said rear wheel mud is standard and this is optional but I can not find it on manual, can you tell me your car's situation?) $155

Another minor question is we got moonroof instead of standard sun roof. The sales man told us they are same. Is that true?

Thanks a lot.
    1. Tires&alloy wheel protection($189 for 3 years) Actually we think it should be included in standard warranty but dealer told us not. Is that true?

The tires should come with a warranty from the tire manufacturer. With my CR-V I got a small pamphlet from the tire company outlining the warranty information. Tires are not covered by the Honda 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty.

"Alloy wheel protection"? Sounds like they added the Wheel Lock accessory. You can get the Honda Wheel Locks for $30.

Or...they're trying to sell you tire and wheel theft insurance. I had a dealer try to do that to me (for $199!). When I asked if the theft wasn't already covered by the Comprehensive portion of my normal auto insurance they said "Well...yes...but this is Extra! coverage." Needless to say I refused to pay it.

2. Painting Sealing(Something smooth to add on your car surface to protect your car) $159

This is pure profit to the dealer. I'd refuse to pay for it. The CR-V already comes with a clearcoat layer. Just wash it regularly with a cleaner made for cars and wax it with a good quality wax.

3. Front Wheel mud protection(They said rear wheel mud is standard and this is optional but I can not find it on manual, can you tell me your car's situation?) $155

The CR-V doesn't come with Front Splash Guards. You can get the Honda Front Splash Guard accessory on the internet for $35 and they take about 15 minutes to install. They're worth the $35, but not worth $155.

I also had a dealer try to tell me that "all" Hondas sold in their area came with Front Splash Guards for an extra $139. They backed down when I pointed out that neither of the other two dealers I'd spoken with required them, and one dealer offered to match the internet price and install them for free.

Another minor question is we got moonroof instead of standard sun roof. The sales man told us they are same. Is that true?

If you check the Honda website (www.hondacars.com) and look at the Specifications for the CR-V the EX comes standard with a "Power Moonroof w/Tilt Feature" so the "moonroof" is standard.

Congrats on the new CR-V!

:D
  • ceifridceifrid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 EX and noticed after every rain that the car smelled moldy. Ater a huge rainstorm, I found the floor soaked on passenger side floor under the mat. Car is still under warranty so I will contact dealer. Any idea where this leakage is occurring? Windows are shut...
  • haijianghaijiang Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your suggestion. :-)
  • gkirby2gkirby2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a new 2002 cr-v Lx. The book states that it has a 15.3 gal. gas tank. Even when the gas gauge says it is almost empty, the cr-v will only hold around 11.5-12.5 gallons. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    Yes, I too was only able to put 11 gallons in my tank when the dashboard gauge indicated it was almost empty. The light indicating fuel was needed was NOT lit. Next time I think I'll wait for that light and see what the decrepancy is.
    This isn't unique to the 2002 models. My 2000 EX can have its needle sitting on the "empty" line and still only need 13 gallons (out of 15.3) to fill up.

What I would like personally is a two-color low-fuel light. It would come on yellow when the tank has three gallons left, and then red (maybe even blinking) when the car reaches the one-gallon level. With the current setup, I think Honda just wanted to leave a lot of room for human error. There will be some who may drive 50 miles before even noticing the low fuel light has come on.
    Think this way "better be safe than sorry".
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • barcinobarcino Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I bought my new 2002 CRV on Friday.
    When I am stopped (breaking) on a light and on Drive I have a very noticeable vibration on the steering wheel. It is worse when the AC is on. Sometimes it is noticeable on my seat! I am kind of scared I got a lemon!

Anybody else that has had this problem? I am going to call my sales person because I am not happy with this issue. Otherwise I love the car. Hopefully it is something they can fix. If not they wont like my never ending calls. :(
  • elpastorelpastor Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm doing a little research about the Honda 2002 CR-V, because I'm seriously thinking in getting one.

I'd like to know how's the 4WD system work on sand (for example when camping on the beach).

Also, for unpaved roads, I've noticed that the ground clearance is not that high, and some of the truck's underneath components are kind of exposed.

One more thing, Is it possible to replace the 15" wheels with 16" without loosing power/performance?

Thanks
    The actual 4WD system works fine on sand and should not be a concern. The real problem is that the standard wheel/tires are small and skinny compared to the ones that are installed on competing vehicles. They will have a tendency to dig into the sand instead of floating on the top. Deflating the tires will help some with this issue.

Ground clearance is as good or better than similar vehicles. 8.1" is as good as it gets for just about anything non-Jeep. The underbelly is very much exposed and I do not recommend this vehicle for running over jagged rocks!

Concerning wheels/tires: If the 16" tire has the same diameter as the 15" one you are replacing, then there will be no difference whatsoever. Ask your tire dealer about "plus sizing."
    Ditto.
  • sport06sport06 Member Posts: 1
    Everyone, concerning your gas tank issues, Ive driven Accords for years, and I can honestly say that there is NOTHING wrong with you gas tanks. Honda's have notoriously LARGE reserves. The warning indicators come on with about 4 gallons left in the tank. (At least thats what my 98 accord had). My wife and I would argue constantly about when to get gas. I would drive 50-60 mile with the pump light on and still only put 15 gallons in a 17 gallon tank.

I believe if you let it, the pump needle will wind up almost straight down. (Just look at it when the car is off, thats where it will wind up when your tank is bone dry)
    FYI, on a '97-'01 CR-V, a properly functioning low fuel light will begin to glow around the three-gallon-left mark.

In addition to my '00 CR-V, our family also has a '95 Civic and a '97 Accord. In all three Hondas, the position of the fuel neeedle is retained when the car is off; they do not drop to the bottom.
  • kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    The CR-V needs 18 gal gas tank instead of the 15.3 gal. My crv is 02 LX auto. The low fuel indicator turns on every 280 (+/-) miles on my crv, and the most I can put in the gas tank is 12 gal. That gives me 24 MPG, which is not bad. After reading other crv owners' posts, I guess this is normal sign of the crv. My previous car 95 3.8L V6 Ford Taurus had 15 gal gas tank too, it got re fueled every 230 miles. My wife's 99 Camry 2.2L has a 18 gal gas tank that can last 450 miles with 2-3 gal reserve. So the range is 280 miles vs. 450 miles on the same daily routes. That tells me which vehicle is good for long road-trip and daily commute... The crv is smarter choice than buying a station wagon, and we want the AWD function to commute in the winter wonderland.
  • newhondamannewhondaman Member Posts: 4
    Is there a certain way to clear the maint. required light on my 02 crv lx...Once I reached the 8000 mile marker, I noticed the light comes on when starting up..flashes for 3 seconds or so, then goes out. It might of started a few miles earlier and I didnt notice. I checked the oil, its beautifully clean...and right where I last filled it at 5000 miles when I changed the oil and filter...Oh..and by the way..from some of the postings..I agree as well, the filter is one of the hardest to change I have ever encountered..especially if you have large forearms....thanks for any tips...
  • crvyeahunomecrvyeahunome Member Posts: 1
    clicky brakes...got 'em
    pulls to the right...happened
    uncomfortable seat...yep

Just gonna ignore the brakes, I think of this car as a civic on stilts so it should creak and moan a bit, but the brakes work great!

Was totally aligned until I had the tires rotated at 5K miles, then began to pull to the right rather harshly. I thought the shop that did the tires was at fault and went back. They said that "those cars are really strapped down when they ship them and that causes it."???? whatever...so 80 dollars later (3 years of alignments) it was "aligned" Drove it home and it still pulled to the right - but not as bad as before. Didn't go back, contemplated going to the dealer, but did something else. I hated the little pizza cutter tires and rims on it, so I changed them to some Enkei 16" with Pirelli P3000s and it fixed the pulling to the right, and made th car drive about 50% smoother, no kidding. It drives so much better, 16" wheels with 225 60 16 should be standard.

I'm glad it is my wife's car cuz the seating stinks, very upright - like sitting in a chair, I'm good for about 20 minutes.

Cute car, should run forever, great improvement over my 99 vw passat - don't buy vw they stink. I only buy japanese now.
  • zhang4zhang4 Member Posts: 4
    I bought this car 2 month ago, there is no problem until last friday.Last friday I drove my car to a restaurant, I heard a noise from right front, it sounds like the sound of a honk from distance,this morning, I drove to the dealer, on the way, I heard from the same place, this time it sounds like metalic vibration, the service man told me he heard nothing when he test drove my car,I think he was lying, at least my car is very noisy on the road! but regardless, they tighted my heatshield.but when I drove back on a little bumpy road,this metalic vibration happened again, it really drove me nuts,my car has 2511 miles on it right now, before 2000miles,my car was very quite and ran very smoothly, right, I am just driving a very lousy car,very noisy!does somebody have the same problem
    thanks to this forum,after I read the message "Top Engine Mount Problem on 2002 CR-V" by nohorn, I think the metalic vibration is the noise that nohorn described in his message, when I drove on a very smooth road, there is no such problem, but when I drove on a bumpy road and try to speed up, I heard the thunking noise
    i THINK YOUR PROBLEM MAY LIES IN THE HEATSHIELD, when you drive on a little bumpy road and the heatshield is loose, you may hear the buzz.good luck
    I think another way to handle our car problem is to make a phone call to honda america 1-800-999-1009, I did it, they recorded my problem detaily and told me a case is opened for me, a regional manager will contact me and they will gather engineers to slove my problems, isn't that great
  • vhowitzvhowitz Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 CR-V EX has pulled to the right since I received it in July. I do a lot of highway driving and it is very tiring holding the steering wheel so the car goes straight.
    It now has about 5000 miles on it and went in to the dealer for its first oil change. I told them about the pulling. They first tried switching the two front tires and told me it was fixed. It wasn't. I brought it back and they kept it for 2 days trying to figure it out. They've done 2 front end alignments, tried different tires altogether, but they haven't been able to fix the pull problem. They now have a call in to the Honda Tech Service to see if they have a clue.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    My 02V WAS hit from behind at traffic light today. Speed was probably under 5 mph. I had Honda factory hitch installed with extension bar and ball attached at all time just for such occurence. Happy to report my V does not seem to be damaged in any way. The other car has a 5 inch dent into the front license plate. No real damage but the Chevy has a real bumper. My V does not . Would have suffered far more damage if it weren't for the hitch.
  • cal_ravencal_raven Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if anyone out there how found a lower cost tow hitch for the 2002 cr-v. The price is was quoted by Honda was over $600. Im actually thinking of building one, if there are no alturnatives.
    Vhowitz - PTTR is a known problem with some CR-Vs coming straight from the factory. It has been well-documented since the CR-V was introduced back in 1997. Some owners cannot seem to get rid of it while others never experienced the problem. Personally, I've never felt it in mine.

Swapping tires is not really a very good option. When it comes time to rotate them, you could end up back where you started.

Those that have successfully eliminated PTTR have done it with a good alignment job. If your dealer hasn't been able to fix it that way, take the car somewhere else.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Raven. Try trailer-web.com

They have 1 1/4 inch and 2 inch trailer hitch for the CRV. Highier rating than the Honda hitch. I got my OEM hitch before I found them.
    They have 1 1/4 inch and 2 inch trailer hitch for the CRV. Highier rating than the Honda hitch. I got my OEM hitch before I found them.

Be careful of towing capacity claimed for generic hitches. The rating quoted is for a specific Class of hitch, not for the vehicle the hitch is attached too. The amount of weight a vehicle can tow is more dependent upon the engine, transmission, and brakes (!) than the strength of the hitch. Whether you use a Honda hitch or an after market hitch, a US CR-V is still only rated at 1,000 lbs for '97-'01 and 1,500 lbs for '02.

JM2C
  • vhowitzvhowitz Member Posts: 4
    Varmit, thanks for the advice. I'll try another dealer for the alignment. I hope it can be fixed. My arm is getting tired!
    vhowitz
  • nccrvernccrver Member Posts: 2
    I have a problem I haven't seen mentioned. I bought an '02 CRV EX in March, and now have 9000 miles on it. I have been very happy--no dreaded PTTR, or phantom CEL signals, or clunks or buzzes, no rocking front seat, no slanting arm rests. HOWEVER, I have noticed that sometimes the ignition key will pull out when the car is still in drive or reverse (after the engine is turned off.)
    The Honda Service people have never seen this, and are ordering a new starter/key.
    Any thoughts?
  • jppobrienjppobrien Member Posts: 1
    2002 CRV 2800 miles.
    When breaking there is a clunky banging noise from the front end, possible front right.
    Has anyone experienced this and if so, what eliminated it when brought to the dealers attention?
  • mainemanxmainemanx Member Posts: 70
    Raven - I think he meant:

http://www.hitch-web.com/

They appear to have an interesting selection.

• zoogirlzoogirl Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I was very happy to find this site after I bought my used 1998 LX CRV!! It is my 3rd Honda (one motorcycle and an Accord) and I refuse to buy anything else!

The reason I am checking in today is I have an annoying rattle, which from what I have read in this forum seems to be a problem with many owners. Mine is in the center console where the radio and climate control switches are located. It starts as soon as I get up to speed on the road with a continuous chattering. The only way to stop it is if I press on the top edge of the console hard, when it remains quiet until I let up the pressure, then back to rattle city! The last owner did install an aftermarket Pioneer CD radio after removing the OEM one. Could a not so good installation of that item be my problem? It really does drive me a bit nuts after a while.

I also experienced the brake warning light going on upon start up and remaining on for several miles before it went off again. Made me rather nervous! I called a dealer, and they suggested a new brake fluid resiviour cap. I got one, installed it and the problem was solved. Apparently like others have found it was a sticky float.

My final comment/question is has anybody found good aftermarket seat covers? I am a zookeeper who takes care of birds and is thusly "blessed" unknowingly many times at work by my feathered friends making seat covers a must. I really would appreciate any thoughts on this one too!
  • dteam2000dteam2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone
    I have a 2000 crv ex with 28,000 miles. I recently took the car to Florida and it ran great. Just the other day I stuck in traffic for a good hour. I started to smell a strong burning odor coming from the engine. Once traffic eased and I started to roll again the smell started to subside. There was only a hint of the odor by the time I came home. I check all the fluid levels all are OK. Has anyone else experienced this problem ??

Thanks
  • wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    I have an '02 LX...Mohavie Mist w/ saddle interior.

The interior dash etc. scratches EXTREMELY easily! For ex. every time I release my seat belt and it recoils...it brushes the side pillar and scratches it. The area around my ignition key is also getting beat up!

I've never noticed interior scratches in my cars...what gives? How do I protect it from further damage and how do I "repair" what has already happened?
  • okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    sounds like it comes close to how sensitive I am ;-) (my husband's comment)

I fond same complains at Japanese message board.
    They said the interior of 6 months old car looks like 10 years old.

The other problem, the rear seat gets wet when open the door during raining.

Anyone has same experience?
    I have the same problem too, if is raining and i open any door the interior get wet.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Slow response... new to this board. That leak you described in mes # 160, onto the passenger side floor may be coming from the cowl gasket. Along the bottom of the cowl were it contacts the sheet metal.

Just had that fixed on mine and the Honda mech said he's fix a few 1st gen CR-Vs with the same problem.

Hope this helps.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    I'am thinking of an 03 crv, would appreciate any feedback on real world mileage from those who own an 02 or 23.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    I have 02 CRV ex automatic. I purchased in april, and have just over 10,000 miles. I check mpg on every tank full. My normal commute is 45 miles roundtrip, with about 2/3 of that open interstate. Almost every tankfull is 23.5-24 mpg. Best I've done is on vacation trip, which was around 26 mpg. Worst was 22 mpg. I also had a 98 CRV w/5-speed, and even though different engine/transmission, it has similar aerodynamics. It also did virtually the same, regardless of weather or a/c use. The highway mileage is definitely limited due to the shape of the vehicle, but its very efficient around town, considering the increased power with the new version.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    glb5, kyfdx gave you true milage I can verify his figures. I have a '02 ex since last dec. and his estimate is very close.
  • hondaman25hondaman25 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a new 2003 CRV-EX. When I took delivery at the dealer it was pouring down rain so I obviously didn't try the windows until I got home in the garage.The drivers side window worked but the others didn't at all until I drove it a short distance to the store then they started working......but one stayed all the way down and never came up again...my question is..is the wiring harness bad? will this be a constant problem down the road of ownership. With only 20 miles on the CRV what should I ask the dealer to do....comments will be appreciated