Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    aw2aw2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. The brakes will be replaced next week. Also, the day after I wrote the letter into the forum, the light on the dash came on. ( something to do with emissions, etc ) The manual indicated that I should pull off the road right then and there and start hitchhiking. It really freaked me out. I came back online and saw a lot of discussion about loose gas caps. So a friend came over with the diagnostic tool that the dealers use. We got the light off and there was no indication of a problem being diagnosed. I tightened the gas cap and have driven another 50-60 miles without the light coming back on. The smell of gasoline is gone as well. Hopefully, that is the end of the story. ( this chapter anyway ) Thanks again for your help. It is so good to know you all are out there.
  • Options
    steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    Mike,
    In my state, generally speaking, if a manufacturer is required to buy back a lemon, the mileage of the vehicle is recorded on the third time the vehicle is taken to a dealer or other repair shop for the specific repair.

In my case, by the third time, there were approximately 1000 miles on the vehicle. The law recognizes that a vehicle should last 100,000 miles. 100,000 miles would equal 100% of the value. Therefore, in my case since there were approximately 1000 miles on the vehicle at the time the dealer tried to fix the problem for the third time, 1% (about $216.00) of the 'out the door' price ($21,600.00) was deducted and Honda was responsible for paying me 99% of the original cost (about $21,384.00). This rule is intended to prevent manufacturers from dragging their feet in settlement because any loss to the consumer ends as of the mileage on the third attempt to cure the problem. Steve
  • Options
    tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    2002 CRV-EX - Manual recommends 26 psi but I run 28 psi
  • Options
    hondaowner2005hondaowner2005 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2005 Honda CR-V LX--2 weeks ago. I have had a similar problem. My son charged his cell phone (a Nokia) about 3 days after I got the car. That was the only time that the front socket worked. After that, it was dead. He has charged the same cell phone in our 1992 Honda Civic over and over with no problems. I noticed that the front socket was dead when I tried to charge my own cell phone--also a Nokia that I have charged regularly in the 92 Civic. When I took it to the dealer, they said it was a blown fuse and asked me what I had plugged into the socket. I told them just a cell phone. I also told them I was puzzled as to how it could be a blown fuse because the back socket has worked fine the entire time--we tried it out when the front one quit working. The owners manual says not to draw more than a certain amount from both sockets--combined--which to me means that both sockets are on the same circuit--so why would one work if there was a blown fuse? After several calls to the service dept to get this clarified, I was told that no they are on separate circuits with separate fuses. I don't understand why the owners manual says what it says then about the combined load on both sockets. So far the front socket is still working after the new fuse. I'm going on a trip soon so I sure hope it works with the power inverter I have for my laptop--which works fine in the 92 Civic.
  • Options
    fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    I have had good luck running mine at 32psi. 26 seemed to wear mine unevenly and 35 gave a much harder ride, not to mention less traction. I currently have about 25% of the tread left after 24K miles, rotating them every 3-6K miles. Next time I am considering the Goodyear Assurance tires. Anybody out there have experience with them?
  • Options
    mcwrathmcwrath Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just bought my 2001 CRV, only 32,000 miles on it. Have been driving an Accord for five years, so am used to sluggish hills, but on this guy, it seems scarier somehow to make it work so hard.
    Do you have any advice for shifting? Should I ever really use the gear shift? I know to keep the O/D on...
    Should I try to keep it below a 5000 or 6000 RPM or is it really okay to rev that high?
    Just want to keep it in top form and am going to drive it on a cross-country road trip next month, so...
    Thanks!
  • Options
    quietmanquietman Member Posts: 2
    I had my 2005 back to the dealer because the front accessory socket blew another fuse while charging my lg6000. They again said they never had anyone report this problem before. Oh well, the problem for me is moot. I sold the 2005 CRV to a friend and bought a 2005 Odyssey EX on Wednesday. This is what I wanted originally, but was talked out of it by my Sweetie of 35 years...lol

Have had no problems charging the phone.

I enjoy reading this forum and will be back. Gonna look for an Odyssey forum

good luck

Quietman
  • Options
    defieldingdefielding Member Posts: 35
    Hi aw2,
    I bought my "99 CRV new and nothing ever goes wrong with it. My wife likes it so much that we bought a second '99 CRV a year and a half ago for her. You made a fine choice. Wait until it snows, (if you get snow where you are and yours is an All Wheel Drive). I call my CRV "The Snow Buggy" in winters up here in Calgary because not even snow up to the axles can stop it, (and that's with all season tires rather than snow tires!).
  • Options
    jgray1jgray1 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you Steve for your posts on the PTTR problem with 05 CRV's. I was just about to purchase one (Special Edition) (had a $100 deposit on one) until I read your post.

When I test drove this 05 CRV Special Edition, I had noticed a distinct tendency for the vehicle to pull to the right. It felt like a wheel alignment problem and I thought little of it at first. I thought the problem would eventually be easy for the dealer to fix. I cancelled my order to the CRV as soon as I read your post. I even copied the article off for the dealer. They had no comment. What a bummer because I really liked the vehicle. In fact, I like it so much that I am thinking of test driving another one just like it at another dealer to see if it steers the same way.

Thanks again for all your info.......it really saved me $25k of headaches.

Regards....
    Jeff
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I like it so much that I am thinking of test driving another one just like it at another dealer to see if it steers the same way.

While there is a lot of discussion here about the PTTR issue, it really is pretty rare. The 1st Gens had the same problem, as the did earlier years of the 2nd Gen. It is not just a 2005 model year issue.

Having said that, I'll repeat the part about it being rare, and also add that if the CR-V you test drive does not have the problem, it won't develop the problem in the future. Just make sure you insist upon a test drive before accepting any CR-V.

Good luck.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    The engine really has to rev high, to get enough power to move the vehicle...

Just leave the O/D on, and floor it when you need to go... Don't worry about the revs... let it go all the way up to redline, if that is what the situation calls for.. Honda engines are extremely durable.. occasionally using all of the engine's potential will not harm it.. Let the engine and transmission do their job, and you'll have nothing to worry about..

Once you've become accustomed to the car, you'll learn to carry a little more speed into situations where you will need it... Like, accelerating more briskly from the beginning of the on-ramp, instead of waiting until you are closer to the merge..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    We are strongly considering an '05 CRV-SE. My wife is concerned that the black leather interior will be too hot in the summer and also show dirt too easily. Any comments? :confuse:

Thanx.
  • Options
    daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    The nice thing about black versus any other color leather is that you can "touch it up" with shoe polish.
  • Options
    chiefjschiefjs Member Posts: 39
    I just bought one about three weeks ago.

It has been hot here but I have not noticed a problem with the leather.

Also, no problem keeping it clean.
  • Options
    skanathurskanathur Member Posts: 2
    I have 4 rust spots ( very small size) near the rear door and windows. What is the best possible solution to get these off. I have been properly cleaning and waxing the CRV. Am I covered under the rust warranty? . Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    cgormancgorman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Honda CRV and it has about 86,500 miles on it. I've taken the car in to my mechanic a couple times for this buzzing noise I hear around 2,250 RPM's. They claim not to be able to reproduce the noise. It's most easily reproduced when I"m going up an incline. They say everything is tight and it's no problem. It may not be a problem but it's very annoying. Anyone have this problem?
  • Options
    tbellytbelly Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 99 CR-V EX which is in exceptional condition except for the engine oil. It is at the Honda dealer,has 94,000 miles and is automatic. It was supposedly serviced at the dealer but every time I pull the dip stick out it has a lot of sludge. Should I be concerned or just have them change the oil again?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    The rust through warranty only covers spots of rust that completely rust through the metal, creating a hole.

The only way to deal with rust correctly is to remove it. That usually involves sanding or grinding the metal until the rusted area is completely removed, then appropriate body work to restore the body panel to the original contours, then applying primer and paint to restore the finish. Talk to a couple of local body shops about how much they will charge for the work.

Good luck.
  • Options
    rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    I would be very concerned about the status of your oil system. Your pan is probably full of sludge. I would be interested in knowing the oil change history of your engine since, unlike some Toyota V6's, the honda 4's are not considered to be sludge prone. I would research how to remove engine sludge. I have no background on how to remove sludge. Good luck
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I am looking at buying a 99 CR-V EX which is in exceptional condition except for the engine oil. It is at the Honda dealer,has 94,000 miles and is automatic. It was supposedly serviced at the dealer but every time I pull the dip stick out it has a lot of sludge. Should I be concerned or just have them change the oil again?

Please define sludge? To me sludge is tar like substance found in oil that has not been changed for a very long time. If the oil is indeed loaded with sludge, like you indicated, I don't think the engine would even run.
  • Options
    rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    Engines will run with sludge, the question is how long. I have seen a pan that had oil formed like jello. The solidified oil in the pan had cutouts where the rods descended!
  • Options
    Engines will run with sludge, the question is how long. I have seen a pan that had oil formed like jello. The solidified oil in the pan had cutouts where the rods descended!

Exactly, the sludge would not be adhering to the dip stick. OP posted that oil on the stick was full of sludge. Dip stick is high up in the oil pan, if there is sludge it would be at the bottom, not up by the dip stick. This is why I was interested in OP's opinion as far what sludge was.
  • Options
    How do you reach the top plug to fill? Looks like the only way in is to use a long hose and a funnel to fill from the wheel area.
  • Options
    How do you reach the top plug to fill? Looks like the only way in is to use a long hose and a funnel to fill from the wheel area.

I assume you are asking about the rear differential (pumpkin).
    They have a cap with a nozzle, I just squirted the fluid into the hole. Some people have used a funnel with hose. The "other" site has more detailed info.
  • Options
    chuck914chuck914 Member Posts: 15
    Please don’t get the wrong idea, I really do like my 2003 CRV—just a little concerned with the frequency of repair—even if it is under warranty. 1st, the wind noise on the drivers’ side—I’m turning up the radio as the door adjustment wasn’t a complete cure. 2nd, the hard to shift from “Park” was fixed by replacing the shift cable. 3rd the AC compressor had to be replaced—leaking from body of compressor; 4th, after several attempts to diagnose the EFI problem—running lean, without any obvious trouble codes, the dealer replaced O2 sensor (called differently in the land of Honda). An interesting situation, on the second trip from the dealership, the SRS light came on before leaving the dealership—they reset the computer while I waited. I can’t complain as everything was covered under warranty and Waterloo Honda (Ontario, Canada) continues to treat my wife & I rather decently—but I’m starting think (wish) an extended warranty may have been a good idea.

Now I’m noticing the top of the steering wheel having wear (likely fading from sun, etc.); and a slight “clunking noise” from under the vehicle while turning the wheel from one side to another at low speeds, i.e., while parking. (too new for CV joints as it only has 54,000 km).

Is this “normal” for Honda CRVs? I know I’m fussy, but I think of Honda is renowned for quality and should expect no less. Anybody have experience with similar problems or are these problems just unique to Canadian imports from the Japan model CRV?

As always, thanks for your input.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Maybe the '02s are a bit different? The filler plug is sort of buried between the rear axle and a heat shield. Unfortunately the Dual Pump fluid was packaged in a regular quart container like motor oil. I will look for the cap you are referring to.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Have they checked the tensioner for the belt (or the belt itself)? That was a problem with several of the older generation CR-Vs. Some described the sound as being something like a loose heat shield under the car, but it was just a problem with the belt tension.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I think that you can purchase the extended warranty if you have less than 30 months and 36K miles. You might check it out.
  • Options
    chiefjschiefjs Member Posts: 39
    A while back there were posts about the loud rear sensor alarm and whether or not the sensors work.

I have them on my new SE and they work fine. I told the dealer about the complains of the noise that were appearing on this forum so the tech muffled it a little.

The sound is not harsh and the sensors do a great job of warning me. The steady tone come on when I am about 12-18" from the object.
  • Options
    tastytasty Member Posts: 3
    Theracoon the rust spots you are experiencing may be what is known as rail dust; contamination from transport of the vehicle. A piece of iron from the train's braking system can sometimes lodge on the paint and sort of burrow in, and begin to rust. It may be the particle, and probably NOT the vehicle itself. Don't start grinding and sanding just yet. I would recommend trying a clay bar on the area in question, and if that doesn't work something more intense like FinishKare's decontamination system for paint. Good luck!
  • Options
    This is common. They ship the Vs with tire pressure around 40 psi, and the techs are usually just to lazy to deflate to appropriate running pressure.
  • Options
    Not to diminish people that have this issue, but I think the PTTR is way overblown.
  • Options
    umichumich Member Posts: 10
    Today I tested drive on the 2005 CRV EX. The high way noise is a little bit loud,especially on more than 60 miles. Is this normal for the CRV?
    Thank you
  • Options
    riggrigg Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2000 CRV SE which as about 74,500 miles on it. It's in beautiful condition. It runs great, but I was concerned about the high engine revving. We previously owned a minivan with a 6 cyl engine, so we are having to adjust to a smaller engine.

I was comforted to read that the high engine revving is not a problem, but just how the engine and transmission works in the CRV! The gears shift very smoothly in our SE, regardless of the RPM. The engine revs more, the more power we want. I was very nervous that I was applying too much acceleration for the CRVs 4 cyl engine.

I just need the reassurance that we don't have a transmission problem... I appreciate any additional encouragement!

Thank you very much!
    rigg
  • Options
    n3wrbn3wrb Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2002 Honda Crv, I not have 27,000 miles on it. I have had no problem the first two years and then all of a sudden, i have had to have the rotors turned twice which they say are not part of the warranty. They said I will probably have to have them turned again or replaced as the wear is bad. How can this NOT happen the first two years and then awful now? I am the only driver and have driven the same way, the same route for all that time. Hope someone can helpme out . donna
  • Options
    tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    My '02 CRV-EX had horrible road noise until I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Duellers. I have some Costco Michelins that are much quieter (it is not Lexus quiet - but much better).
  • Options
    Hello, I have a 2002 Honda Crv, I not have 27,000 miles on it. I have had no problem the first two years and then all of a sudden, i have had to have the rotors turned twice which they say are not part of the warranty. They said I will probably have to have them turned again or replaced as the wear is bad. How can this NOT happen the first two years and then awful now? I am the only driver and have driven the same way, the same route for all that time. Hope someone can helpme out . donna

Why did they need to turn the rotors? Did you experience shaking when applying brakes? Was there diminished braking ability? If you answer no to both questions, I think you need to find a more honest shop. Yes, brakes are not covered under warranty because they are wear and tear items, neither are tires, clutch, belts, fluids, light bulbs, and other stuff explained in the owner's manual.
  • Options
    n3wrbn3wrb Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    not2hi01not2hi01 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I have a 02 CRV with just over 51K miles. CEL came on about a week
    back, got the OBD2 code last night which is P1457 (Evaporative
    Emissions EVAP Control System Leakage EVAP Canister System). I stopped
    at the dealer this AM, and actually got a copy of TSB 02-026 dated May
    28, 2002. It states that the fix is inspect/replace EVAP two-way
    bypass solenoid valve. They are checking on the parts availability,
    but it appears to be about $70 for the part and another $70 for labor.

- any one familiar with this code?
    - could it possibly be fixed with a new gas cap? old cap was tight
    - is replacing this valve a DIY type project?
    - the wife and I are taking a road trip monday to Atlanta ~650 miles
    one way...is this safe to drive or do i risk doing serious damage?
    - i still need to reset the CEL and see if it re-appears

thanks!
    -mark-
  • Options
    dm25dm25 Member Posts: 6
    We too have a 2000 CRY. Bought it new. It's been very reliable, like all our Honda/Acura products. Regarding engine RPM, pushing in the overdrive button on the end of the gear shift lever initiates overdrive which significantly reduces RPM. With the overdrive disengaged ( button out) the revs are pretty high -- about like our '72 Datsun, which had no overdrive and at last check, had about 250,000 miles on the odometer.
  • Options
    Hi,

I have a 02 CRV with just over 51K miles. CEL came on about a week
    back, got the OBD2 code last night which is P1457 (Evaporative
    Emissions EVAP Control System Leakage EVAP Canister System). I stopped
    at the dealer this AM, and actually got a copy of TSB 02-026 dated May
    28, 2002. It states that the fix is inspect/replace EVAP two-way
    bypass solenoid valve. They are checking on the parts availability,
    but it appears to be about $70 for the part and another $70 for labor.

- any one familiar with this code?
    - could it possibly be fixed with a new gas cap? old cap was tight
    - is replacing this valve a DIY type project?
    - the wife and I are taking a road trip monday to Atlanta ~650 miles
    one way...is this safe to drive or do i risk doing serious damage?
    - i still need to reset the CEL and see if it re-appears

thanks!
    -mark-

See if it is covered under the extended emissions warranty. In some years, it ran for 8 years/100,000 miles. My 2005 Warranty booklet says it is only 3 years/36,000 miles.
  • Options
    chochchoch Member Posts: 3
    had the same problem on my 05. The front fuse blew. I use an inverter in it and may or may not have shorted it but I can't remeber having the problem. I actually pulled the rear plug out of the wall when trying to remove a 12v plug. Use both hands on the front and rear as they seem flimsy. Did you have spare fuses in the left hand mini compartment on the lower dash?
  • Options
    chochchoch Member Posts: 3
    I have read on one of these forums that the Japan made product VIN starts with a J and the English with something else. Mine is with a J
  • Options
    lautazilautazi Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem with my cd player, except now the cd's won't eject and won't play.

I did try disconnecting the battery with no success. My warrarty expired(2002CRV) in Jan and the dealer said they don't fix cd players but they could install a new one for 1,600. Did you get yours fix?
  • Options
    esufesuf Member Posts: 1
    Hi kyfdx

I bought my used 2003 crv without owners manual. I disconnected my battery when i went on a vacation. I dont have the card that you were referring in your discussion. now my radio is asking for code. Pls let me know that is there any other way to activate my radio or where can i get that card?.

jamal
  • Options
    Hi kyfdx

I bought my used 2003 crv without owners manual. I disconnected my battery when i went on a vacation. I dont have the card that you were referring in your discussion. now my radio is asking for code. Pls let me know that is there any other way to activate my radio or where can i get that card?.

jamal

Option A: Take the radio out, take the serial number to your local Honda dealer. With proof of ownership, they will give you the code.

Option B: Find what dealer originally sold the car, they may have a record based on VIN number.

Option C: Sometimes dealerships affix a sticker with the code on the outside of the glove box. It can be seen when fully opened.

Option D: If you bought it privatley, contact previous owner for the manual and the code.
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem with my cd player, except now the cd's won't eject and won't play.

I did try disconnecting the battery with no success. My warrarty expired(2002CRV) in Jan and the dealer said they don't fix cd players but they could install a new one for 1,600. Did you get yours fix?

Contact Honda corporate, they may cover the repair as coutesy. You can buy an aftermarket for much less or same OEM radio on ebay for $200. Install is "plug-n-play." Radios from Accords, Civics and other Hondas will generally fit and won't require wiring modifications if they were from 1999 and up vehicles.
  • Options
    ric1ric1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 CRV with 48,000 miles. I need to replace all four tires. I would appreciate recommendations on replacements for a hot Texas climate.
  • Options
    lautazilautazi Member Posts: 2
    I've got four cd's in the player. They won't play and they won't eject.The radio is working fine. How do I remove the cover on the dash to get them out. Anyone have a diagram of where the scews are and how to do this myself? Honda was no help..."they don't repair cd players, they gave me an address of a stereo store to buy a new one ". Ya think they would have said this when I left my car for this service in the first place. Any ideas would be helpful?