Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    and they aren't going to simply do the "fix" on my car. They have seen my car, but they never called me back. I finally broke down and called them. The service manager remembered me because apparantly, I am the only one who has complained about this problem.

Anyway, he said he'll need my car for at least a day because it needs to go to the body shop. Those must be some pretty crazy stains if they need at least a days worth of body shop attention. Gosh, if they were just stains, you'd think you could just wipe them off with alcohol or something.....
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The sarcasm in here needs to be toned down.

I'm sure we can have a civil conversation about this issue, and we can realize that different people have different perspectives. Nobody every got another person to change his or her mind about something by being derisive.

Find a way to disagree with each other politely or don't post the message, please.

Thanks.
  • judys6judys6 Member Posts: 1
    HI AM LOOKING INTO BUYING A MAZDA 6. I HAD A 1990 MAZDA 626 AND IT RAN GREAT IN THE SNOW. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT KIND OF PERFORMANCE THEY HAVE HAD WITH THE 6. I LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST SO IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT MY NEXT CAR IS ABLE TO TAKE THOSE CONDITIONS WELL. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    JUST TO LET YOU KNOW WE CAN ALL READ YOUR POST even if you write without caps.

The 6 should be good in the snow - if you want more re-assurance of it, buy 4 snow tires and you won;t feel winter at all.

Maybe some other 6 owners can jump in.

Dinu
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "as we prepare to close the month of Nov. for mazda sales...I can once again confirm that the MZ6 is the best selling Mazda in the Northeast. The Tribute is a very close second. Also, the MZ6 continues its month over month sales increases....The MZ6 is also one of the internets most researched cars. With that, it seems that consumers are aware of the staining issue and it is not preventing them from buying the MZ6... "

I suspect that most people don't have a clue about the rust/staining issue and that's why they're buying the car anyway. Most people don't pay any attention to these discussions, if they even know they exist.
    "They came out with the fix of the problem and they call it a stain. I suspect an entire band of lawyers told them not to call it something it isnt. so if it isnt rust, they arent going to call it rust....In the end, does it matter what it's called? no. The only thing that really matters is that it gets fixed."

If their lawyers are worth anything they told Mazda NOT to call it rust!
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    I've driven through several snow storms, and white outs so far. I find my 6s fine in the snow. I have 16" rims with the OEM tires. Sometimes I turn off the traction control depending on where I am driving. I enjoy a little wheel spin now and then.
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Here's an update on my car, now with Eibach springs and 16x8" lightweight RX-7 wheels. You can see body roll is pretty drastically reduced. I lowered the car because there is no camber adjustment on the front tires, hence lowering is the only way to get an aggressive alignment.

I've had the car a year now and have autocrossed it a bunch of times. I'm ready to entertain any questions :)
    Nice photos!
    Does your car have rust or were you one of the lucky ones?
    Please don't tell me people have been worrying about rust here, too. I refuse to answer this question, because I think it's one of the most overblown topics!
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    People hear "rust", and assume all the 6's will literally "rust away to nothing in a year".
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    welcome back to edmunds Steve, where rust (er, 'stain') is super topic #1!!!

btw folks, I've seen Steve autox his 6, this guy really makes the car go!!!! fast too!!
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    I assume stretch doesn't have rust because I would say the same thing if my car didn't. The asterick beside the 6 in the chart means the non-rusted version right. Geez I think I'm gonna trade in my 6 for a Regal.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... Mazda 6 rust discussion?

Please, whenever you folks find a rust dicussion beginning, and getting overly repetitive, and feel the need to spew and spout (as is your right) -take it to the Problems board.

And stop by the Buick Regal discussion on your way - its the scenic route ;) Of course, the only way to enjoy that route is in a Mazda 6. Oh, what a quandary!
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Still wondering about 2004 model colors, as it got buried 2 pages ago by stain, er, rust, er.... whatever you wanna call it, discussions. ;-)

Any dealerships where YOU are have the new copper color, or the metallic ash color? I still have yet to see them myself (other than in pictures, and we all know that you can't go by colors in pics or on a computer).
    Saw one on the weekend when I was looking for a 3. If you wanna know what it looks like, check this link and pretend it's a 6 not a 3 :) It's exactly the same shade and it does come with the beige interior.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=BeigeSedanGSFront.jpg

Dinu
    I'm not sure as I never saw one, but this is what the 3 looks in Lava:
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=LavaSedanGFXSide.jpg

Dinu
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Do you have to be a member to view those? I get this message when I click your link:

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.

Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.
    You might have to be a Yahoo! member...

Try this link: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/dinuone and see the sedan folder.

Dinu
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    try this
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=BeigeGSFront.jpg

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/detail?.dir=/Mazda3+Seda- n&.dnm=LavaGFXSide.jpg

PS: Dinu, yahoo changes the photo manager software this morning, and the old URL name convention gets screw up.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    I've had my '04 6S for a little over a month now. At this point I'd have to rate my experience a 9 out of 10.

The engine really loves to rev-up into the power band quickly and the 5 speed box has loosened up nicely. Handles like it's on rails. I've had it up to 100 mph in a light crosswind and it felt very stable. The limited turing radius is painfully obvious at parking lot speeds though.

Fit and finish have been very good. A few more squeaks and rattles than I would have hoped for. The console controls can be confusing at night. Brake dust on the wheels seems a bit on the heavy side. I'll have to address that on replacement.

Best of all no "staining" anywhere so far. Build date 10/03 and VIN # N22395.

ZOOM ZOOM everyone.
    If it handles like its on rails, you aren't going fast enough. :)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Does everyone like the red color background on the MZ6 dashboard guages??

I bring it up because it appears this may be a future carmaker battleground. The 2005 Mustang, which will be built in flat rock, will have a feature that allows the car owner to change between hundreds of dash color choices.

Is this a feature that anyone would find appealing???
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    I think perhaps everyone who is tired of hearing of the rust issue should realize that it is not going away. Face this fact: this forum will never again be solely confined to 6 sightings and 6 ownership experience updates. But don't blame the poor owners with rusty cars. Don't blame the poor shlubs who benevolently took an $18k-$25k gamble on an underdog car company, when polyester-suited-pinky-ringed car salesmen everywhere were pushing discounted Camrys and Accords.. Blame Mazda. Blame a car company that is already running for cover, that is hiding behind silly and worthless TSBs that absurdly prescribe cotton swab-alcohol-and-touch-up-paint solutions to a serious (and insidious) rust problem........b/c mark my words, this rust problem is gonna hit a lot more people down the line.
  • accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    Glad to hear your report on your 6. I'm fairly picky when it comes to rattles and such, would you explain where and how serious the squeaks and rattles are? Thanks in advance.
    I could go for that. I'd probably change the color every few days though.
    I'd prefer a single interior color that matches an interior theme.

Many different interior colors sounds like unnecessary expense for a car that has cheap materials to begin with.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I've never been too fond of red dash lighting (one problem I had with BMWs). But, the Miata I just bought has it, and it didn't bother me too much the first time I drove at night. I did find it a little hard to see the pointer, though (didn't seem to be enough contrast).

Being able to change the background does sound cool. I personally love the electro-luminescent (sp?) guages, especially on Lexi, and the new Acuras. Super easy to read.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    There is a huge annual AJAC Canadian test fest where journalists around Canada choose Canada's car of the year. This year's event took place from Oct 29-Nov 2. Mazda had 4 cars in the 4 categories and WON all 4!

- Mazda3 sedan Best New Economy Car
    - Mazda3 Sport (hatch) Best New Sports Coupe or Sedan < $35,000
    - Mazda6 ('04 model in Canada) Best New Family Vehicle
    - RX-8 Best New Sports/Performance Vehicle

The overall car of the year will be announced later but the odds have got to be for a Mazda. From what I've seen, odds on favourite is the Mazda3.

Mazda Canadian sales are going to take off.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Now if only something could help those silly Accord/Altima/Camry buyers wisen up ... they'd see the error of their ways, huh?
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031202/latu099_1.html

"IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported sales of 19,306 units in November -- a 21.9 percent increase versus the same period last year. The increase was the best November year-over-year jump for Mazda in the past decade.
    The company's strong month was led by its sporty Miata roadster, which posted a 32.6 percent increase in November sales. In addition, Mazda reported sales of 6,180 units for its MAZDA6 flagship sedan. Sales of the MAZDA6, which celebrated it one-year anniversary in November, continue to build momentum."

Dinu
  • heyjoe11heyjoe11 Member Posts: 20
    A young lady hit my rear passenger side wheel last night and now it's out of alignment. I was wondering if anyone knows what the alignment limitations are on the rear wheels. The problem feels like the toe in is off. I wonder if the toe in is even adjustable on the rear of the mz6. There may be some bent suspension parts in there and I just want to make sure any repair gets the alignment and suspension back to a new state. Thanks for any comments
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I was compiling some data for my website and decided to share Mazda6 U.S. sales results since the beginning:

461 Nov '02
    1,581 Dec '02
    2,254 Jan '03
    2,720 Feb '03
    4,014 Mar '03
    4,480 Apr '03
    4,930 May '03
    7,645 Jun '03
    6,254 Jul '03
    7,328 Aug '03
    5,341 Sep '03
    6,194 Oct '03
    6,180 Nov '03
    ------------------
    59,382 Total
  • ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    If someone hit your wheel, you're probably looking at a bigger repair than just alignment. The suspension linkages may have got bent,... etc.
  • autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    As I was walking through the parking lot into work today I spotted an very boldly copper-colored 6 today w/ sport pckg and gray cloth interior. It was pretty overcast today, but it was a deep burnt-orange. I liked it, but I tend to like the bold colors, like the speed yellow too. I think it could be a polarizing color for some though.

This is only the 2nd 6 I've seen in this parking lot of nearly 1,000 cars. Very few sightings in Atlanta in general for me. Was back in my old home turf of west Michigan during Labor day and saw quite a few 6's on the road there (more than metro-Atlanta).
  • flypaperflypaper Member Posts: 11
    ... to the local Mazda dealer for an oil change. Just for kicks I asked the service rep what their stance was on the "rust" issue. I then talked to one of the techs there who said they had only found rust on a couple of their '03s on the lot. He said they performed the fix (as prescribed in the TSB) because there "wasn't much to do that day."

I wonder if all those '03s sitting on lots out there are getting this "fix"?
  • twinturbotimtwinturbotim Member Posts: 26
    Ok, today I drove the Acura TSX, thus now I have driven both the 6s and the TSX. The TSX's performance was a bit subpar in acceleration, but its handling was great. Its looks were better both in and out too. But it didnt seem to take bumps in the road as good. When you hit the gas, it took a good second for the TSX to kick in. Honestly, I forgot how the 6s performs in relation to acceleration. There is one thing that is bugging me about getting a mazda, ITS AN AMERICAN CAR! You can argue that statement all you want, but face it. Japanese cars are far superior in engineering, etc then american cars. Ok, some people may have had problems with their honda, but still, in general, Japanese engineering greatly exceeds american engineering. Right now I am on the fence between the two cars. What should I do?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "There is one thing that is bugging me about getting a mazda, ITS AN AMERICAN CAR! You can argue that statement all you want, but face it. Japanese cars are far superior in engineering, etc then american cars. Ok, some people may have had problems with their honda, but still, in general, Japanese engineering greatly exceeds american engineering. Right now I am on the fence between the two cars. What should I do?"

Well, first of all, you should read up a little more on the Mazda6. It was engineered in Germany and Japan. Yeah, the North American Mazda6 is made in Michigan, but the rest of them are made in Japan. Most Honda Civics and Accords are made in the US, and they're considered to be reliable cars, right? Same with the Corolla, Camry, Tundra, and more that I can't remember. The majority of "Japanese" cars sold in the US are made in the US.

If you want Japanese made car, your pickings are slim and usually expensive. Is the TSX made in Japan? I dunno. Have you checked out the Mazda3? That's made in Japan.
    Well, that "American car" beats the Accord handily in overall reliability according to Consumer Reports.
  • jbhogenjbhogen Member Posts: 21
    Engineering is multi-national, I'm right down the street from the Nissan design center in La Jolla. As newcar31 pointed out, it's not even assembly:

Toyota Camry--Georgetown, Kentucky
    Honda Accord--Maryville, Ohio
    Subaru Legacy/Outback--Lafayette, Indiana
    Mazda 6--Flat Rock, Michigan

IMHO, I reject the notion that American car companies have inferior engineers or engineering. The Japanese companies (whatever that means) have just done a better job of building cars, while the Big 3 have focussed (pioneered really) minivans, SUVs, and trucks. If the Big 3 don't start building some exciting cars, though, they'll be sitting ducks waiting for Japanese to get the message on these more profitable vehicles. They're already starting to get the message, the Tundra was a good effort and Nissan's Armada looks like its a force to be reckoned with.

Build stylish, reliable, exciting, well engineered vehicles that address the needs of your consumers. Like Mazda, minus the rust.
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    The most recent update, like the one before it, seems to nitpick about minor annoyances they perceive. Turning circle, for example: the Accord's turning radius is only 1 foot shorter according to CR, yet the 6 receives the criticism. Same thing with "refinement": I dunno, maybe the extra fake-titanium plastic and harsher ride of Sport models affects their opinion, but IMHO the 6 is plenty refined compared to all of its competition except, perhaps, the Passat. I'm really tired of hearing that one has to give up "refinement" in the 6 when cars such as the Camry have plastics and interior switchgear that look and feel less "refined" than the 6. The strange thing is that they still picked the 6 for their 2004 Editors' Most Wanted award (Honorable Mention, after the Passat -- last year this went to the Accord).

My personal 5,000 mile update: car is still as solid as a vault, with no squeaks, rattles, CELS or other problems. I'd planned to upgrade the stereo, but I never use it -- I just enjoy the lack of rattles and the sweet purr of the engine. I've also decided against upgrading the 16" wheels, since the only reason to do so would have been cosmetic; the car's overall balance of ride, handling and road noise is so nice with the standard set up, I don't want to change it. Even a "stain" on the right rear door sill has not killed the enjoyment.

My main annoyance (still minor) is one that many cars are afflicted with now: the lag and non-linear throttle response caused by the TBW system. Oh, and the turning circle is a bit wide :-)

CL
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    For those of you waiting for the MZ6 wagon....This months order allocation includes MZ6 wagon orders. Job #1 is march. All orders are due by 12/10/03.

I will be posting info as I get it on the MZ6 wagon board.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I have always found the 6's turning radius to be extremely poor. I went to lunch with my boss the other day. Her Avalon easily makes a U-turn in a place where my 6 can't. Not a major thing... but a tighter radius would be nice.

On the refinement front... the 6, IMO, is more refined in its driving dynamics than the Accord and Camry. However, the 6's stiffer suspension and more aggressive tires do cause more rattles and road noise, both of which are major factors in refinement. Refinement is generally measured by noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH), all of which the 6 has more of. However, those are easily looked over by driving enthusiasts. To the general public, it is the other way around.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    If you want a TSX it is going to cost you a pretty penny. With thr 6 the rust issue maybe a factor in your buying decision.

Yeah the TSx is made in Japan.

I have seen like over 50 6's on the road since the car got introduced at this time last year.
  • ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    I actually find the Accord's suspension to be more harsh, but you're right, the stiffer suspension plus 17" tires do cause more rattles. I have 3 and counting.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    and eat it too.

The poor turning radius is due to the sophisticated dual lower ball joints. It allegedly lends us that musch desired road feel. even bimmers use(d) that suspension.
  • livaudaislivaudais Member Posts: 55
    The non-sport 6 has the same tires as the Accord. It certainly doesn't rattle more than an Accord. From the write-up I thought the editors were using refinement in the context of interior quality and function. When I drive a Camry and see the cheaper plastics of the door panels, console and interior lights; and when I detect the less-precise feel of the switches; I can't help but feel that the 6 is gettting short-changed when it comes to refinement. Passat and, perhaps, Accord (unless it has the nasty fake wood) may be more refined, but the 6's interior compares favorably to every other car in its class.

But yeah, the turning circle is lousy :-)

CL
  • twinturbotimtwinturbotim Member Posts: 26
    What percentage of the MZ6 is built in Japan, and what percent is built in the states? Is this going to have an effect on the 6's longevity and quality?
  • bostongiobostongio Member Posts: 52
    MZ6 for the US (and North America?) are all made in Michigan, but as others have pointed out, the actual design and engineering of the car was done in Germany and Japan.

Folks, it's the engineering that counts more. You can have the world's best build quality, but still put out a crappy or average car. So American car makers have come a long way in terms of producing well-engineered and designed cars, but I still don't think much of their design and styling is on par with their foreign competition (such as the 6).

Now sure, it would be nice to get a car engineered and built in Japan, but as others have noted, that's becoming a pretty rare thing. None of it guarantees anything, however -- you can still buy a dud. American manufacturing facilities have come a long way since the 1980s, and it doesn't affect my buying decision one bit that the car I'm purchasing is built here in the U.S. In fact, it makes me feel even better about the decision...
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    is surely a surprise this time.
    wonder what made them "drivers" drop these drivers car?

BTW, on the other hand, Consumer Reportsranked the Mazda6 higher than the Honda Accord.

Ex-Change of fortunes???