Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    GM owned a large part of Saab in the early 90's, though. And did Saab have much of a choice? they were too poor to make their own product and GM would have gotten pissed if they tried to base it on a Ford or a Renault. The Vauxhall Cavalier had a bad reliability reputation in England to begin with, so it's probably a combination of both. I bet the build quality was Saab's fault and the mechanical problems were more of a GM issue.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Ecotec was co-designed by GM Europe and Lotus. It's an extremely reliable engine and the Saab engines which are based on them will be also. Very little to worry about IMO.
  • larryjorlarryjor Member Posts: 12
    We took a 9-3 for test drive about a month ago and found the fit & finish to be very good to excellent. We have had 4 Volvos in the past 7 years and have enjoyed every one of them. However, we are going to go for the '04 Vector (SAT/NAV in '04) and want to do the A-B comparison with our '00 S80 T6. The 9-3 was definitely more sporty in feel and response. The base Linear I think is very well designed and appears to be screwed together nicely. We have never considered Saab until this new 9-3 came out. I've even ordered the owner's manual a year plus in advance as the car appears to be well engineered with excellent safety & ergonomics. Quality, or the perception of quality, is highly personal. However, in our opinion, this 9-3 is what Saab needs to get those numbers UP, UP, UP.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    It sounds like you want what we all want. Japanese reliability, Domestic car price, and safety and performance of European cars. Problem is....you usually can't get it.

As far as safety goes, the 9-3 is the equal or superior of the Passat in crash tests. It's also a little heavier, which helps. In terms of driving fun, it's also superior. And if you think Saabs have reliability problems, try checking out the VW forums here and elsewhere on the web. Tons of problems compared to Japanese makes, and disturbingly, many reports of shoddy treatment by dealers when you do have a problem. At least my limited experience with Saab dealers here is that they will do anything to please you, give you a straightforward deal, and seem happy enough to fix things that are broken. The Passat is a nice car, but it's more of a nice family sedan than a sports sedan. It's also due to be redesigned next year.

All the problem items you mentioned can be fixed under warranty for 4 years. You can also purchase an aftermarket warranty through 100K miles for about $1500 (warrantygold, warrantydirect are examples). Finally, with the money you save buying a Saab rather than a $45,000 Mercedes C320, you can pay for a rental car and repairs if it does break after that. This isn't a Renault LeCar or a Yugo. I think most makes have fairly decent reliablity nowadays. A sticky sunroof or a rattle here and there isn't near as bad as being broken down by the side of the road. So if it's items like that, hey...welcome to the world of Euro car ownership!

I've had BMW's that cost almost TWICE what the 9-3 goes for that all had similar problems, so no make is immune from this stuff. One thing I can point out is that our 9-3 has had ZERO fit/finish/function items in the first 1,000 miles. I haven't found a single flaw. But I think the real important thing to look for is a dealer that will make things right when things do go wrong.

The 9-3 is NOT a GM vehicle. It is a SAAB! Built by Swedish workers in Sweden, not US workers in the US. Designed by Swedish Engineers.

Recent 9-5's have been very reliable according to posts at various Saab websites I've checked. Earlier models did have more problems, but my assumption/hope is that they've got it together.
  • rkpatelrkpatel Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all who have replied so far...I'll be looking into the 9-3 as soon as I get back to the states. Have any of you had Saabs in Ohio? (Near Cleveland)? Any recommendations on dealers?

for brucec35: Thanks for your post. I don't know if I would compare a 9-3 to a Merc...Totally different vehicles and markets. For a refined vehicle, I don't know if you can really top a Merc - the new E-class is beautiful. However, being in my 20's, I want something more fun (and a lot cheaper!). My real competition for the 9-3 is the Passat. Right now, it looks like the main advantage for the Passat is the price.

Does Saab give free service for the first 3-4 years? (Oil changes, tire rotations, etc.)
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Saab has a free service program with all new 9-3s. I think it is 3 years, not 4.
  • jay108jay108 Member Posts: 52
    Does Saab accept GM credit card rebate dollars? If they do that may steer me towards the 9 3 linear. It looks like a lot of car for the money.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    kind of prices folks are seeing for a 9-3 Linear w/o Launch pkg. but w/sunroof, 17"wheel pkg, & heated seat/headlamp washers, or even just a base 9-3 Linear (no options). Edmunds TMV is showing about $ 28,100 w/these options & dest chg.

Stephen
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I'd do the 9-3 over a Passat. The Passats are much better looking than the masses of sedans in their class, but I've never really liked them(always though it looked like a girl's car). Until the new 9-3, I've never really liked Saabs but the more I learn about the 9-3, the more I like it. I'm waiting on the Arc to become available, then I am going to seriously start considering. Another great thing, I've seen maybe one 9-3 actually on the roads whereas Passats are starting to show up everywhere. Especially if you live in a college town.

Anyone know when the 9-5 is slated to be redesigned?
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I did tried on MB c series.. yes, I almost think about buy car from them. Thanks god, I found Saab before I made decision... Then I turn to Saab. To compare MB-c with Saab 9-3... Saab certainly has better in-out details and touch. If you check the disscussion setion on MB-C series then you will see also tone of problems from their users review.
    MBs are well built cars(although I don't think as well as they used to be) but to get one that really feels like a luxury car, your spending near(or well into) 40K. I sat in a C240 at a local auto show last month and other than seeing the 3 star hood ornament out in front of the car, it didn't really seem like I was in a luxury car. While the Saab 9-3 may not have the same warm embrace of a Cadillac STS or Lexus LS430 either, it did seem more upscale than the low end Benz. And the 9-3's seat fit me like a glove. I think the Arc with it's metal trimmed gauges and wood trim will feel even more upscale.
    I agree the C320 Mercedes and Saab 9-3 aren't direct competitors, but the C class is really just not the same as the other Mercedes. Not as reliable, not as well built, not as luxurious, not as spacious, not as "Mercedes", and in most recent sport sedan tests it finishes mid-pack or worse. It's simply way over-priced. And in most categories I would say the Saab is SUPERIOR to the C class. But my point was that anything that equals the Saab's safety and performance that is European costs a lot more. The Mercedes C240 is closer in price, but it is so slow that it isn't even considered to have enough "sport" to be in the sport sedan category.

As far as price goes, I don't see a price advantage for the Passat over the 9-3 at all. The nearest comparable version, a GLX Passat w/ auto and ESP, goes for about $29,126 at carsdirect.com. A Saab 9-3 Linear with Auto, heated seats, and Launch pkg is $30,815 MSRP, but I offered $1300 off sticker on mine and they agreed w/o argument, so the most you would pay (here at least) is $29,515 for a very comparable car. So there is less than a $400 difference in price, but with the Saab you also get free maintenance for 36,000 miles/3 years, which should more than erase that. You also have zero down, zero interest, zero payments for 3 months financing available, or Saab will pay you $1000 in lieu of taking the financing. (they were when I bought mine, at least). So taking that into account, the Saab actually has a small price advantage when buying new.

I test drove the Passat, since I'd always liked them. They're the top of the midsize class. But they don't handle or generally peform well enough to be considered a sport sedan w/o adding sport springs, 17" wheels, and better tires. And while they do hold their value better than Saabs, remember that a new Passat is coming out next year, which may mean much lower residual value for your "old" one. I also found the seat bottoms to be too short for my legs, so that nixed it right there. The Saab seats are great. Neither is a bad car, and neither is the ultimate car, but I prefered the Saab for about the same money. Saab is a luxury brand, with hopefully luxury car attitudes at the dealers. VW sells lots of $18,000 cars. That has to affect their attitude, and based on what I researched on the web, it does.
    When we first were looking we ran into the problem of finding ZERO Linear model w/ 17" wheel pkg cars available, anywhere. You would have to order one. In fact, they didn't even show any with auto transmissions available when they searched. And they do search, since the loaded car I eventually bought came from New York (I'm in Atlanta). If it helps, I paid about $1300 off sticker for a loaded model. Expect a little less of a discount for a less well equipped model, since there's less to give. But this is a great time to buy, at the end of the month, during the holidays, when everyone else is Christmas shopping. I would be sure to only deal with the interenet or fleet manager there, Edmunds did a story on why you should do this recently. I got nowhere with the regular salesmen on the lots. Good luck.
    Motorweek online had a very favorable impression of the 9-3, if nobody has mentioned this yet.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2211a.shtml

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Thanks for the response. :-) I was contacted by my local Saab dealer and they expect base linear models to start arriving around the beginning of March w/o Launch pkgs. I'm still in the "curious, but noncommittal stage", so no hurry here. The only options I would be interesed in are the sport wheel pkg, sunroof, and heated seats/headlamp washer.

As a side note, we have a large Scandanavian population and consequently a large % of Volvos & Saabs in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle, where I live. Heck, we even have a shop that sells ludifisk (sp?). :-)

Stephen
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
  • sastrybsastryb Member Posts: 6
    I am at a fork in the road! My 1999 Saab 9-3 is about 3.5 years old and I have to decide whether to buy the extended warranty from Saab or not. My car has been regularly serviced, without any major problems. Only recurring issue is the power antenna (I am on my third one!). As I travel a lot for work, my car will have only 50000km (~31000 miles) when it turns 4 years old. I plan to keep the car until it is 6 years old. My Saab dealer quoted me $2000 for the 6/80km $0 deducitble extended warranty. Would love some feedback on expected reliability of a 1999 Saab 9-3. Based on the information I have seen on how expensive Saab parts are, I just don't want to get stuck with big repair bills as soon as my existing warranty expires.
  • massappeal106massappeal106 Member Posts: 26
    Someone asked this question several posts ago: "Does Saab accept GM credit card rebate dollars?"

Does anyone know the answer to this? On GM's web site, SAAB is not listed on the available car list for GM dollars. Any thoughts?
  • sastrybsastryb Member Posts: 6
    I am up here in Canada, but I believe that you were never able to use GM Card rebates on Saab's in the US. Back in 99 when I bought my Saab, we were allowed to use the credit, but my dealer told me this was only available in Canada. About a year ago, GM changed the rules slightly, allowing a maximum of $2500 to be applied to a Saab purchase.
    Can't use them in the US and in Canada only up to $2000 starting Jan 1. GM credits are good on any new vehicle sold at Saturn Saab Isuzu dealers here.
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    Someone asked what 9-3 are going for. I got a pretty good deal on mine. Just got it 2-days ago. Never had a Saab before, and while this car isn't as "oddball" as the old Saabs, it takes some getting used to (especially the key!) But so far, I love it. Bigger than an A4 or 3-Series BMW (inside and out), and a very solid ride. It is just a very well made car. Of course, who wouldn't say that after just spending almost $30K? Heh. But seriously, so far so good.

I couldn't find a car exactly as I wanted, but there were a bunch that were pretty close. The car I got came to the dealer with the sports wheel package which was good/bad. I like the firmer ride, but where I live it snows a lot (and the 17" tires are of no use in the winter). In fact, one of the guys at the dealership said he took out a car with 17" wheels a few days who when it was snowing a bit and that "he'll never make that mistake again." Heh.

Anyhow, to make sure I actually bought the car, the guy swapped the 17" wheels for the 16" wheels (which I think look better anyhow) and gave me a credit for the wheel package (see below).

By the way, I've noticed Edmunds, Cars Direct, etc. lists the wheel package for $1,127 (list) and $1,295 (MSRP)... but all the dealer invoices I've seen have it at $877 and $1,000 respectively.

What I did was fax a bunch of local dealers saying, "Here is the exact car I want. I know there are a few of these on the ground (within a few hundred mile radius). I will come down there today, sign all the paperwork, and you'll make a $250 profit for 30 minutes of your time: 5 minutes to read this fax and 25 minutes of paperwork on the car." Most of the morons faxed me back with "come on down and lets chat" but one guy said (more or less), "You've got a deal. If you keep your word, I'll keep mine." He even faxed me what he said in writing.

Even better, I found a bank online (Ohio Central Savings) that did 3.9% financing (http://www.ocsavings.com/AutoRates.htm) -- and they do out of state loans (I'm not in Ohio).

OK, enough babbling... here is the deal I got. By the way, the $2,870 in rebates consists of a $1,000 "alternative financing" since I didn't use GMAC or Saab Credit (even though I got the same 3.9% rate they would have offered), a $1,000 rebate on the launch package, and $877 for swapping the wheels to 16" (all season) from 17" (summer only).

Total MSRP of the car was $32,085. I paid $26,580 before tax and license. Plus, I didn't get charged any fake "prep" or "advertising" fees. I've seen a few Saab 9-3 invoices (from different parts of the USA), and where I live they don't have those on the dealer invoice, but I saw a few invoices from the East cost, and they have like $600+ in fake charges.

Here is the breakdown.

24443 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear (Manual / Charcoal Interior)
    625 Destination Charge
    431 Front Dual Heated Bucket Seats
    413 Cosmic Blue Metallic Paint
    866 Linear Touring Package
    2258 Launch Package
    877 Wheel Package
    -2877 Rebates
    -706 Holdback Refund (2.2% MSRP)
    250 Dealer Profit
    ============================
    26580 Before Tax and License

1728 Tax Liabilities (6.5%)
    0 Dealership Preparation Fees
    0 Dealer Advertising Fees
    45 Title Costs
    341 Licensing Fees (This is normal for my state!)
    ===============================
    28693 After Taxes and Discounts
    And thanks for the detail.

Funny to hear so many dealers trapped themselves out of a quick sale with the need to 'Chat.' Chat about what, for heaven's sake?
    I always decide what I want long before I go in. I don't want to chat, I want a deal as fast as possible and get out.

Our last car was bought via autobytel.com and e-mail. No chatting until I picked it up.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    that's a good deal you got. enjoy the ride.
  • otwiscootwisco Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 9-3 Linear model yesterday (love it!). As a first-time new car buyer, I have a few questions for anyone with more experience:

1) What is your experience/recommendation with an extended warranty? The dealership was recommending "Heritage" at a rate of $2500 for 100,000 miles with a $100 deductible. Not sure if this is worth it...

2) Any suggestions on the "paint sealant" and "leather sealant"? The company supposedly guarantees both for life of car, but my thought was that I could maintain both myself, without paying $775 to someone else. Any experience with these services?

An extended warranty may help at trade-in/third party sale time. $2500.00 is a lot of money though. You should be able to get an extended warranty on your own for less. (remember -- The extended warranty most likely is not a Saab product.)

I have never bought things like leather and paint sealant and never would. The prices for what you are getting are always a rip-off. In fact, I would be a little miffed at the salesperson for even bringing them up.
    Wow, sounds like you got a great deal. Here in Atlanta there is no competition (same guy owns both dealerships) and I thought I did well to get about $1500 off MSRP and the 0/0/0 financing. One of the dealers here wouldn't budge from MSRP, but I contacted the internet manager on the other side of town and he accepted my offer for about $1800 less that the other guy wanted, including fees.

Getting the stiffer springs AND the 16" wheels/tires you wanted was a real coup, too. You basically got the suspension upgrade for free. The Dealer wins too, because he can easily sell the takeoffs to a buyer who wants the upgrade for maybe $1200. They actually offered us a set of those on a non-sport model on the lot, in fact. We opted to wait for one to come in with the sport suspension.

FYI, the difference in the wheel/suspension upgrade package price is because Linear models do not actually come with the low tire pressure warning system they originally were supposed to. So the price on the actual cars was lowered accordingly. Edmunds is wrong on this. I wrote them a while back to let them know, but apparently they don't care enough to change their numbers. They're pretty sloppy on little things like that, making it hard sometimes to sound educated when talking to a dealer. I asked the reviewer of the 9-3 if she'd even bothered to go see the ones actually on lots, since the sticker plainly shows the price difference from their figures, and many of her criticisms centered on items Saab told her they were "fixing" before roll-out. Her reply sounded to me like they can't be bothered to actually update reviews by driving or even looking at the ACTUAL CARS that are sold on lots. Oh well, at least it's free.

Looking at your numbers again, you got an incredible deal on a new car, although some might say that you saved a little less that the MSRP would indicate, because you didn't actually get the 17" wheels and it may be worth a little less to many buyers down the line at resale time because of that. Who knows about Saabs, but as an example a BMW 3 series with the sport package and its 17" wheels will go for about $1,000 more than a non-sport with 16" wheels. Most sport oriented drivers would pass on a car w/o them. But it's what you needed. Also, handling won't be quite as crisp as with the lower profile max grip Pirellis, either, but you'll enjoy a softer ride and much longer tire life.

For us at least, the 0% financing was superior to the $1,000 rebate you decided to take in its place. Over only 36 months, it saves almost $2,000 over 3.9% financing, but not everybody can pay those huge payments, I understand. We also hadn't sold old vehicle yet, so the financing was fine with us.

Also, our lazer red model saved us the $431 for metal flakes in the paint, and dealers will tell you that metallic paint usually brings about $5 in value come resale time! But you still paid an incredibly low price for a well equipped sport sedan. You also may have saved some because you chose a 5 speed model. For some reason, even with sport sedans, manuals can be hard to sell in the current marketplace. I guess it's all the traffic.

As for holdback percentage. One source says 2%, another tells me 3%, and yours says 2.2%. I've never had so much trouble figuring the numbers on a deal as with this Saab. Talk about quirky.

I also can't believe how many salesmen blow easy deals with their "come down and talk to me" reply to legitimate offers. Actually I can. There are a LOT of very unsavvy buyers out there that get taken to the cleaners. The key for a salesman should be to know how to tell who is and who isn't a knowledgeable buyer.
    Leather and paint sealer is a complete ripoff and almost valueless, despite the claims. They're also claiming a lot of baldness cures and "eat all you want if you drink this powder at night" diets too. So buyer beware.

I've had two extended warranties on BMW's (paid for by the previous owners, hehe!) and they worked fine w/ few hassles. An extended warranty will definitely help sell a car down the line, but the question is how much more will it bring relative to its cost? Hard to say. Some buyers won't even consider one w/o it. Others seem not to care. It also depends on how long you plan to own the vehicle. You can buy an aftermarket warranty up until the time the car goes out of basic warranty, so you do not have to decide now, though the cost rises somewhat accordingly. Try warrantydirect.com and warrantygold.com for online price quotes.

Make sure you look for a warranty that:
    1. Is transferable to the next owner.
    2. Gives a pro-rated refund for the unused portion of the warranty if you trade it in (most won't transfer to a dealer). We sold a '98 BMW 540i last Spring and got a nice $800 check back from the warranty company on their policy that wasn't transferrable to the new owner. I read the fine print and it paid off! And we didn't even buy the policy, the previous owner did.
    3. Has a refund policy for those who never use the warranty. Believe it or not, many offer this.
    4. Compare deductible vs. no-deductible plans.
    5. Make sure they allow you to use any licensed shop you want, not just an approved list.
    6. Look for ones that accept payments from the company's credit card via phone, and not ones that simply reimburse you.
    7. Look online for complaints about the company paying claims. Not paying claims means you got a dubious bargain, so shop carefully and ask around. Try the Edmunds boards here for more info, but be sure to take the complainers with a grain of salt, they may well be plants from the competition. Look for trends...good or bad.
    8. A listed exclusions policy is superior to a named coverage one. This means you would prefer one that covers everything "except" the listed components, usually wear items. If you just want coverage for big dollar items like the driveline and want to keep your cost low initially, a named-coverage policy might be ok. But you'd be amazed at how many items can fall between the cracks of a policy like that. For example, BMW catalytic converters go for $1200 at the dealers...and our car had two! Saab is probably pricey too.
    9. Make sure your coverage includes damage from overheating, not just fixing the radiator. Some cheapo policies will refuse to cover your cracked block due to an overheated engine, for example. They'll just fix the busted hose or thermostat.
    10. Avoid buying from a dealer in most cases. Much of the price is sales commission, not coverage. They may be ok, but shop carefully.
    11. Wait a while after checking prices online before buying. They will usually send you emails with deals to entice you in after they haven't heard back from you in a few days.

I think I got a price of about $1500-$1700 for 5 yr/100K coverage from a couple of warranty companies online when I checked on the Saab. Not bad, but remember it won't even take effect for up to 4 years, so your money is tied up for that long before you ever get any benefit from it. And check the details as well as the prices, since they vary widely in price based on how good they are.

If you have deep pockets and can afford to pay repairs as they come, you'll probably do a little better w/o a warranty, since obviously the companies are in it to make money, not lose it paying claims that exceed their revenue. The odds are in your favor. But if you want "insurance" against catastrophe, warranties aren't a bad deal on European luxury cars.

Oh yeah, if you want to know which warranty companies are easy to deal with, respond promptly, and pay claims well, call your local independent shop that handles Saabs. They'll be able to tell you their experience with the companies you're considering.
    Even if I take off the $1,000 (MSRP) for not getting the wheels (but as you said, I did get indeed get the suspension) I still think I did pretty good. The dealer told me he was making a few bucks and that 10% of something was better than 100% of nothing. Funny, my dad always says that too.

So, as much as I love my new car, I do have a few things that I'd like to hear your feedback on. There are also a few miscellaneous comments peppered in that don't really need a response.

Some of these I don't see as problems per-se, just oddities (hey, it is Saab, they had to work hard to add oddities to this new mainstream vehicle!) I even love the little goofy plug they give you to cover up the (only) keyhole on the car since you'll never really use it!

(1) I got the upgraded radio (face). It really doesn't give more power (still a mere 150W), but it does have the fancy looking interface. From what I see, it doesn't give do anything that the normal radio can do yet (other than look cool). Right?

(2) On the radio, there are two features under radio settings called "regional" and "alt frequency". I flew through the radio manual (you can tell they are going to add more features to the radio because it is separate from the car manual) and saw no references to those features. Any ideas?

(3) I'd say that the data in the marketing literature for the 9-3 is somewhat misleading. I do not think it was on purpose, but it sort of seems like they say the infotainment system has 300W, which it doesn't. The sound is good, but not great. Rumor has it that Saab will offer an upgrade from 7 speakers and 150W to 13 speakers and 300W. Is this true? Do you think they'll offer us first-year buyers a discount?

(4) I know in Europe the 9-3s have (or are supposed to have) bluetooth. That would be nice because my new call phone has bluetooth. So, do you think that they'll (a) offer bluetooth here in the future and (b) if so, how will the infotainment system "choose" which phone (onstar vs. bluetooth phone) to use?

(5) The (head)light control is the one thing I do not understand. Simple as it may be, there is no off. The three modes listed in the manual are headlights (all the way to the left), parking lights (middle), and off (all the way to the right). And if you look in the manual, there are some other icons on the switch that look like "I", "II", and "III". However, on my car, there is headlights (all the way to the left) which turns on all the lights (including marker lights, night lights, etc... and allows you to turn on high-beams and fog logs), parking lights (middle) which also turns on all the lights (same as above, but only allows flash-to-pass high-beams and no fog lights) and the most strange of all, off (all the way to the right) which is the same as parking lights (i.e., all lights are on, headlights, makers, etc.) That has to be a bug, right? I understand the concept of DLR, but there is a huge difference between DLR and on. If I want to sit in my car (say while my passenger runs into the post office to drop something off) I can't shut my headlights down (and people think I'm going to pull out vs. just sit there). Have you guys seen this?

(6) I was a bit upset that the doors didn't lock and unlock automatically like they do on Audi's... but I read the dealer can reprogram the system. Problem solved.

(7) I like that you can change the battery in the key/remote/fob (which has amazing range) with a normal battery that you can buy at the local store. Some cars have a $10 battery and a $20 service fee to change the battery. Luckily, Saab was smart about it.

(8) As per item (5), there a green headlight and parking light indicator on the dash. If you can't turn the lights off, why even have this? It is always on.

(9) Are Americans really so dumb that we need a "shift-up" light. There has to be a way to turn this off. It is annoying, especially when driving in night mode, because that whole LED screen turns on each time it wants you to shift.

(10) I noticed I couldn't change 0,0 to 0.0. Most European cars let us use the decimal versus the comma. Another bug?

(11) I love the estimated arrival time of the trip computer (where you dial in mileage). Simple but cool.

(12) Glove box is huge! And air-conditioned. While kind of an oddball feature, I actually can see a use for it.

(13) Homelink transmitter is great. Took me all of 2 seconds to set it up.

(14) In some places manual says TCS and other places it says ESP for the most bottom button (in my car ESP). Typo?

(15) I live where it snows a lot. Is a block heater worth getting?

(16) I love how the index talks about the boot, bonnet, and tyres (UK style) but the core of the manual says trunk, hood, and tires. That made me laugh.

(17) I ended up with the charcoal interior. The (interior) rear deck, pillars, and roof fabric are parchment. When I first saw it, I was a bit perplexed. My Audi has a charcoal interior too, but the "curtains match the drapes" as they say. After driving it for a day (and asking 10 of my friends what they thought about this subject) most people said it looks "cool". I guess cool is good. Again, this is a Saab, right? Odd is in.

Anyhow, that is all I have to say. Overall, even with the oddities mentioned above, I'm really happy with my purchase. The ride is much better than my Audi. Strange thing is, I never actually never realized how small the A4 is on both the inside and outside. Boy or boy, is the A4 small. I'd never want anything bigger than the 9-3, it is the perfect size... plus lots of room in the trunk. Or is that boot?
  • jimmalojimmalo Member Posts: 5
    -Has anyone taken European delivery on the Saab 9-3? Would like to hear of your experiences
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I'm waiting in the Arc with the 210 hp engine and 300 watt sound system to become available then I'm going to seriously consider this car. As for your headlights, my Intrigue is the same way. It has the "off" "parking" and headlight" positions, but the automatic control function overides the off position so that if it gets dark outside, the lights come on anyway even if in the off position. The only way to override this on the Intrigue(other than pulling DRL fuse and thus defeating them as well) is the set the parking brake before starting the car. If you do this, the lights stay off until the brake is released as this is what turns the DRLs/auto headlights on. I'm not sure if this will work on the Saab though. I like the auto on-off feature, but I do wish they would provide an override. My father used to have an Aurora and it had a switch which would let you turn the automatic headlamp control off and also set how long of a "delay out" you wanted on the lights. Keep us posted on your experience with the 9-3.
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    For those of you who have a new linear with climate control. Can the system be turned off? I don't see an off switch.
    I got a quote for European delivery (I got over there a lot for work) -- but there were 2 major problems.

#1 Depending on where I pick it up and drop it off, much (well, some) of the savings associated with doing the European delivery are lost. You'd pay no fees if you pick up and drop off in Sweden, but who wants to go up there now? It is dark 23 hours a day.

#2 The typical port-to-port-to-your-dealer delivery time (for shipments of Saab's that don't end up at the bottom of the English Channel) is about 8 weeks. That means that (a) I am making $500 per month payments on a car that I can't drive and (b) if I did not have access to another car, I would have to rent a car for 8 weeks, which is also about $500 per month.

All in all, I am not sure if the savings after that would be anything other than a few cents. As I recall, the savings for European delivery is about $1,500 less than US invoice (yes, invoice, not MSRP).

Also, I don’t think you get some of the rebates that you can get when buying through a dealer, but I could be wrong about that.

If you are going to live in Europe or spend a few months there, it is a good idea. If you’re like me, and you are there for a week at a time every other month or two, it is not a good idea (IMHO).
    If you push the small fan button (lower fan speed) a few times (one setting below low) it will turn the fan off, but leave the display (and maybe some unforced airflow) on. Push it one more time and the whole thing goes dead (off). It'll even say "AC-OFF" when you press the small fan one time after it is on low.
    I understand what you said, but I don't think the Saab has "twilight sentinel". I drove the car in broad daylight today, parked in a sunny spot in the parking lot at the store, put the parking break on (left it running) and the headlights, parking, position, tail (night type, not break type) lights were on.

I even took my flash light and pointed it at the sun sensor (on top of the SID) to see if there was a photocell in there. Still, the lights stayed on.
    Here are some photos that go with my previous posts.

Two tone interior --

http://saab93zzz.home.attbi.com/edmunds/two-tone-interior.jpg

No decimal place, just a comma --

http://saab93zzz.home.attbi.com/edmunds/no-decimal.jpg

Light switch with non-off off setting --

http://saab93zzz.home.attbi.com/edmunds/light-switch.jpg

Sun sensor (doesn't seem to be tied to lights, just air conditioning) --

http://saab93zzz.home.attbi.com/edmunds/sun-sensor.jpg

Headlight (read below) --

http://saab93zzz.home.attbi.com/edmunds/headlight.jpg

So, after reading some of what you guys posted, I went to go look at the lights. Here is an odd thing. With the bi-Xenon headlights, it seems that the main (bring as all heck) lens is both the low beam and high beam. On most cars I've seen (like the Maxima I rented the other day while on a business trip) there is a Xenon light for the low beam, but the high beam is an old fashion halogen lamp. Doesn't seem to be this way in the 9-3.

In fact, when I turn on the high beams, a lens or something moves (and goes over the existing low bleam?) resulting in the Xenon light being both the low and high beam.

Oddly enough, next to the Xenon lens is what looks to be a halogen bulb, but it never comes on. Ever. I tried all three light settings in both high and low, with and without fog lights, and they never came on. There is a bulb in there, but no clue what it is for.

Unless those are my DLRs and they never come on because my car has a bug and the lights never go off (as per previous E-mail)? Anyone?

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Although I don't have one, here are my WAG's:

bi-xenon are the new style lights were both low and high beams are xenon. As I understand it, Xenon's have a time delay before illumination. Under a flash to pass feature, using a xenon design for high beam would not work so previous designs used halogen bulbs for the high beams.

It seems to me that the halogen bulb should be used for DRL's and flash to pass feature. Sounds like you do have some sort of bug.
  • zerochzeroch Member Posts: 7
    Here's the deal I got:
    linear cosmic blue/ auto
    w/ launch and touring
    heated seats
    $27,500 before fees and tax. After do the math, I think my deal is similar to one of the early poster who got a stick shift (also Cosmic blue, coincidentally, my dealer told me they only got two Cosmic blue a year)I gave up a few hundred dollars on my trade-in but I still think I got a good deal. My family was considering a loaded top-of-the-line Camry but the price for that is actually not too far off from the price that I paid for the Saab. Seems like an easy decision. Just hope the reliability is not TOO bad.
    Only 2 per year? I think he was trying to push you to buy the car/color. I've seen more than one dealer with at least two Cosmic Blue cars. =8)

Now, if you're talking about a Cosmic Blue 9-3 with a 5-speed manual, there were only two US-spec units produced (and I have one of them). In fact, I read a press release on the Saab web site that said only seven 5-speed manual 9-3 were made (just kidding!)

But it does seem odd that there are so few 2003 9-3's with 5-speeed manual transmissions. Most dealers I spoke with said that that their typical stock was one or two 5-speed manual transmission equipped cars, with the rest being automatics. I find that a big strange for a sports sedan.

If you remember, when the Lexus IS300 came out it only had an automatic and people went insane about the lack of a 5-speed manual, however, this is not the case with the 9-3, which is odd.

Personally, I like the 5-speed on the 9-3. The clutch is a nice short run, it is light, and the shift pattern is tight.

When compared to the A4, the clutch is much lighter (you need a strong left leg for the A4), though the shifter is about the same.

I actually think the 9-3's clutch is perfect, good weight and travel distance. Takes a bit to get used to when compared to the A4 (I'll admit, I've stalled it a few times [um, when on hills]).

One car that drove me nuts (looking back, I can't believe I even considered it) was the Maxima SE. I got all excited about a 6-speed manual transmission with 255 HP... but the throws on the shifter were like that of a semi-tractor (long and spaced far apart) and the clutch had more travel than I've ever seen on a passenger car. That, and about 20 other things I didn't like about the Maxima SE (after renting one from Hertz for a week during a business trip). But that is a whole other thread.

Anyhow, back on topic, at first I didn't like the Cosmic Blue, I was actually looking at Midnight blue, but after going back and looking at them side by side (in the daylight, which was something I never did before) I changed my mind. It is a very pretty color.
  • kpflegerkpfleger Member Posts: 14
    Edmunds TMV prices seem way off compared to these last two deals mentioned. TMV for cosmic blue linear manual w/ launch, touring, and heated seats is $29,939 where I am (SF bay area) compared with code7700's deal of $26,580. For auto it's $31,052 compared with zeroch's deal of $27,500. Carsdirect.com prices (which supposedly factor the rebates/incentives into account already) seem similar to Edmunds. Is there anywhere on the web with pricing more in line with what people are actually paying currently? The deals don't vary by that much ($3000+) by region.

Also, where on Edmunds site can you find info on the $1000 discount/rebates that everyone seems to know about. I know about them just from reading boards, but they don't seem to be listed in the incentives and rebates section of Edmunds 9-3 page, so where can you go to get accurate info on the cash incentives? Are they only available in some areas? My impression was that they were national. I realize the current deal with end 1/2/03, but presumably it will be replaced by another deal. (The 9-3 doesn't seem to be selling well enough for them to jack the price up by $1000, and the previous gen 9-3 had these new deals month after month.)

-Karl
    In all fairness, I did get a rare deal. Even I will admit that. Plus you didn't take away the rebates I listed.

What I would consider to be fair deal (for the average person) would be between $29,286 and $29,536 before tax and license (dealer profit of between $250 and $500).

That isn't too far off from what Edmunds says.

Invoice is $29,036; Edmunds is $29,827; MSRP is $31,085. I'd only say Edmunds is off by only $300 or so, which is less than 1-month's payment on a 3.9% loan for 60 months. Yes, money is money, but we're not talking about thousands of dollars out of wack, like happens for "up market" cars.

Below I've subtracted all rebates and deleted the wheel package since I didn't really get the wheels (though I did get the suspension, but again, most dealers won't do that).

Invoice Description
    24,443 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear (Manual)
    625 Destination Charge
    431 Front Dual Heated Bucket Seats
    413 Midnight Blue Metallic
    866 Linear Touring Package
    2,258 Launch Package
    N/A Wheel Package
    N/A Rebates
    N/A Holdback Refund (2% MSRP)
    500 Dealer Profit
    29,536 Before Tax and License

As for the rebates and incentives, that is a bit odd too, but most of the dealers I spoke with were very up front with the $1,000 "alternative financing rebate" and the $1,000 "launch package rebate" -- but you are 100% right, some of these jerks didn't say anything about it at all. One guy even flat out denied they existed. Needless to say, there are a few dealers out there that will try and keep these if they can (even by diverting you to alternative financing for their own profit).

Face it, those of us that are armed with the knowledge will do better. It is no better than buying an area rug at the market in Turkey. Those who know what it is worth pay a fair price, those who don't know what it is worth get ripped off.

In as much as I'd like to think that a fixed global price (a la Saturn) would be nice, that would most likely mean I'd end up paying more than I did.

My feeling is that anything which costs more than a few thousand dollars has a fair amount flexibility in the price (a few percent).

For a $3 toothbrush at the store, 3% is $0.09. Who cares. For a $30,000 car, 3% is $900. A nice little chunk of money to play with, but not exactly a paycheck's worth of money for most people. Now, when you start talking about a $300,000 house, 3% is $9,000. And in all reality, you're going to have a hard time making an offer that is $9,000 short... if you're lucky, you can maybe save 1% (assuming the house was priced fairly to being with).

Take that (1%) back to the car world, and you're talking about $300, which is about the same number I mentioned above (way at the top).

Don't get me wrong, I want to pay as little as possible too, but it all comes down the the market (just like houses). If the car is in demand, you've got less flexibility, if the car is not in demand, you're going to be able to play around with that 3%, and maybe as much as 6%. But considering the difference between invoice and MSRP is about 7%, don't expect to get any more than that.

I would never buy a car from someone who takes a major loss on the car. After all, if they are that dumb, they won't be in business for long, and then who is going to do my free warranty and maintenance that Saab includes with the car? And I don't know about you guys, but there are only two Saab dealers in my state. Even in Orange Country (California), which has almost as people as my entire state does, there are only two Saab dealers!

=8)
  • kpflegerkpfleger Member Posts: 14
    I agree you got a good deal partly by good negotiating tactics, but that accounts for a few hundred $ of the difference only. Even if someone didn't negotiate as well, there is still something fishy. There is a huge discrepancy (of $2000 or more) between the web pricing info available on the 9-3 and the deal that should be easily attainabl with minimal negotiating based on your info. I presume these rebates have been in effect for about 2 months now (that how long the current financing and lease deal have been around based on Edmunds incentives page). So why aren't these huge discounts reflected in the TMVs (which are averages of what Edmunds's users paid)? That should be enough time for them to get into the averages, and probably even dominate the averages (presumably deals older than 2 months don't have high weights in the averaging). And similarly why aren't they reflected in carsdirect.com's prices?

Invoice of $29,036 and MSRP of $31,085 before the $2000 of rebates means without ANY negotiating at all you should be able to get $31,085 - $2000 = $29,085 as the effective discounted MSRP, which is quite a bit below Edmunds TMV of $29,827. A little bit of negotiating should get you somewhere between the invoice and MSRP (less the $2000), i.e., something around $28k. Negotiating the holdback into the equation, if possible, should get you another half a grand.

Seems like Edmunds and the other websites around are not doing a good job of accurately reflecting the deals currently achievable on 9-3s.

And where did you get your info about the two $1000 rebates (financing and launch pkg) in the first place? Just from the dealers? These deals presumably end tomorrow (if they are like the financing and lease deals), possibly to be replaced by new deals or the same exact ones. Where can people go to find out what the new rebate deals are if Edmunds's rebates and incentives page doesn't even accurately reflect the current rebates?

-Karl
    (PS And yes, I'm completely ignoring the whole sport/wheel package aspect of your deal as irrelevant to the current pricing discussion, as I was above also.)
    Hey, looks like your posts are rivaling mine for length now. : )

Let me address your points as I read them:

1. I'm not sure, but I believe I read somewhere that the base stereo was only 70w. So it is an upgrade in power.

2. I asked the wife and she says "regional" is a feature that will find the 10 strongest signals if you happen to be traveling cross country and want to see what's on. No idea about alt frequency, though.

3. My salesman gave me the Saab accessory brouchure and it does show a upgrade kit to 300w, with an amp and subwoofers, etc. No idea if you'll get any discount, but I don't think it will be available until the arc/vector come out if then. I didn't want to dump any more money in a loaded Linear, so I found a good deal on some Infiniti Reference 6x9's online ($80 I think) and installed them today. Took 2 hours, because my tools stank, but could be done in 30 minutes by a good installer. A decent improvement in bass from behind, but you have to fade speakers just right to get a good sound. Too far front and door speakers are overwhelmed at high volume, too far back and you have to turn it way up to get it loud. Even at 92db efficiency they are not as efficient as the stock front speakers. A rear amp would help, too. But I'm no audiophile so it sounds GREAT to me. Crisp and sizzled on my old "My Sharona" Knack CD. : )

4. I've heard of bluetooth but don't know what it is exactly. Saw a video on it on Saab's website, but I suspect it may not be offered here. Onstar will be provided for 2 years free by saab when it's installed, and you can sign up for hands free, voice activated onstar cell service by pushing the onstar button and giving a credit card. It's available in various plans, about 20 to 30 cents a minute depending on your plan. Good for ocassional use or as a backup. No idea if you can integrate it with your existing phone.

5. From what I can tell, you can never turn the headlights off. I wondered about that too, but apparently HID headlights last about 10 times as long as Halogen, so maybe they just use the low beam HIDs as the DRL's. A defeat switch would be nice, but I haven't seen anything about it when I browsed the manual.

6, 7, - no comment required

8. I suspect that these features are retained from cars w/o the HID headlights. They may not use the low beams as DRL's and do turn on/off, I don't know for sure.

9. I haven't yet seen the shift up light. I hope you read the warning not to exceed 5000 rpms or use high boost during the first 1,000 mile breakin period. But in auto mode it tends to shift before that except at max throttle. I have just been backing off before that number comes up on the tach.

10. There is a screen on the info system to change from km to miles and stuff like that, but I'm not sure if the comma is included in the changes.

13. I can't seem to get the homelink to program right! I did the one on our old BMW's, but this one is not working. Am I doing it right? Clear the memory by holding button 1 and 3 for a while, first...then hold your own transmitter 1-3 inches under the mirror and hold down both buttons till it flashes quickly. What am I missing here?

14. Not sure, since I haven't tried defeating either yet.

17. We chose the parchment interior even though we usually love black interiors because we felt that on the Saab it needed a little light color to contrast with the overly dark interior.

We looked at A4's more than once in the past but they were just too small inside for me. My right leg would hit the center console at a painful angle. They should have rounded it off more. Plus, the new A4 1.8T's have an ugly black trim inside instead of aluminum or wood and they now charge for leather and don't offer leatherette, which pushed the price of them too close to the 3.0's to make sense. Love the look, though.

As for the "no function bulb" in your photos. I faintly remember I read somewhere that the car has Halogen "backup" for the headlights. Check your manual.
    I smell bull stuff about the "only two cosmic blue's a year" line the salesman gave you. That's a pretty common sales tactic they seem to throw out instinctively whenever you show any interest in a particular color. My dealer had one sitting in the showroom, offered as the same price as any other I wanted. Is that half his yearly allotment? ha. And my dealer's sales manager added "this is the first laser red we've ever sold" and "this is my favorite color" So much of it is just sales BS. You never know.
    I admit that my actual price paid was very close to what Edmunds had as their TMV, but as I pointed out before, they didn't even have the correct MSRP and Invoice price because of the late change made to the wheel/suspension upgrade package. And they haven't changed it even though I notified them of their error.

I have seen accurate Edmunds info and very sloppy inaccurate info, so the best you can do is use it as one of many sources of information. For used vehicles I prefer KBB.com, since it has jived with my other research better lately.

As for 9-3 pricing info and carsdirect and Edmunds... Keep in mind that this stuff changes fast and conditions do vary widely from city to city and week to week. For example, Carsdirect had 9-3's for $130 OVER MSRP when I bought for $1800 UNDER MSRP, a nearly $2,000 difference. But there is no competition in my city. In Boston, I believe, they had them for much less...can't remember exactly...perhaps a few hundred over invoice.

And my deal at my dealer was possibly due to the time of month I bought, when volume sales incentives kicked in. I was negotiating mid month, but I was told that if the car wasn't a done contract by the end of November, that price couldn't be honored. I read car biz info sites (automotive news) and happened to read about these incentives somewhere, so I believe them. They hit a sales figure and they get a certain $ amount per car...so the last few they may be willing to make less or nothing on to get the incentives for all cars sold that month. A few days before at another dealer (same owner) I was stonewalled at MSRP, no discounts at all. It's all what they think they can get from you, and that changes from moment to moment. If the dealer isn't even close to making the incentive volume, he may charge MORE, since he knows he isn't going to make his money on incentives.

Prices vary widely even in a city. I tried at two places last year to get a '02 Silverado and could do no better than $1100 over invoice, while carsdirect.com had it at $500 over invoice. A 3rd rural dealer I checked with sold me the truck I wanted with zero negotiation, over the phone, for just $100 over invoice (and a $2002 rebate) with no fees. So prices, especially on a new design, with less established price info available to consumers can vary widely.
  • dgarbaridgarbari Member Posts: 4
    I just took delivery of a Midnight blue 9-3 5spd, linear-Launch,touring, heated seats and wood trim. I do not have the exact total cost in front of me but the lease deal is 377+tax/month $2,400 total out of pocket. I am happy with the deal and the car.

I had originally asked for merlot but was told there was not a 5sp with merlot/parchment in the New England area.

As far as the lights go, the bi-xenons use the same bulb for high and low beam. Low beam is achieved by a shield covering the top portion of the light. The halogen lights next to the main lights, according to my dealer, are for foreign spec cars that are allowed additional lighting. In those cars the bulb is much brighter. In the US the lights serve no function. This car is my second Saab. In my '00 9-3, the lights were always on when the engine was running, no choice.

Finally, I was also unable to program my home-link transmitter. I followed the directions in the manual and it the car seems unable to pick up the signal. Maybe this is a defect.
  • zerochzeroch Member Posts: 7
    a little bit more on the deals that code77 and I got. I suppose both of us got a very good deal because of the year-end pressure. During the last few days of the year, I believe a lot of dealers are willing to take very little profit in order to boast their sales numbers. When I walked in the dealership, I had on my hand a stack of info from the internet and I made sure the dealer saw them. Therefore when I presented my offer, they must knew that I was not lowballing out of nowhere, and the negotiation finished very quickly (less than 20 minutes). I suppose edmunds did the TMV based the all average price since the model was launched instead of taking into account the latest rebates and price cut, etc. therefore it does not reflect the LATEST price you can get for the car. I got all the rebate info HERE on this forum and I gotta thank for all of you who shared the info and that's why I feel I need to share the deal I got for your reference so all of us could have an insight to the latest "market price." BTW, in response to the previous post about the garage opener, I had problems with mine too until I discovered that I had to turn my remote so one particular side faced the mirror in order to be successful. Try it too, if it works, the flash will blink rapidly within 3 secs.
  • blitzin1blitzin1 Member Posts: 53
    Just my WAG, but it's based on discussions here and the video on the Saab website showing the driver using an iPod with the car-

With the Series III radio due in the ARC/Vector, the alt. function will take stereo input from a mini-8 plug that will be wired into the center armrest console. If you look in there now, there is a plug towards the back where the jack will go.
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I did try many times and months on the home link. my uncle laugh on me... I feel I am dummy too. Can't even set up the homelink...
    Now I am thinking it's bug and will send it back to dealer to link it for me.
    While driving up to my mother-in-laws place for new years day I saw an old Saab 9-3 for sale in someone's drive way. Further down the drive I could see a brand spanking new and clean 9-3 sedan parked. It would seem from this board also that Saab fans really like this new car and see value in upgrading to an 03.