Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti I35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dking1dking1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of special tools required or process for bottomout piston in rear brake caliper
  • jkuehljkuehl Member Posts: 1
    Your experience sounds right to me. My 2002 I-35 with 70,000 miles averages 26, but my daily commute is about 40% stop-n-go, 60% freeway. FYI: In 2003, my wife & I drove 5,000 miles starting from St. Louis, going :) to San Francisco on freeways close to the old Route 66, returning to Chicago by way of Yellowstone Park. Including a kamakaze tour of SFO driven by my lead-foot daughter, we averaged 30.5 (!) But before i get too excited, I've read elsewhere that the trip computers can vary. NOTE: my best MPG comes at a steady 62 MPH. MPG is worse the slower (even 55) or faster I go.
  • worldmojoworldmojo Member Posts: 1
    I live outside Fort Lauderdale. I just got my G35 on the 7th of this month. And they stole my head light this week. I found that it happens to alot of G35 also so where do u go now. $3700 to fix my car.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    If you're using the trip computer to quote your mileage figures, I can tell you you're not getting the mpg's you think you are. Think about it. If you're getting 30.5 mpg's, you should be able to go about 560+ miles on a tank of gas, or about 470+ miles at fill-up assuming 3 remaining gallons in the tank. The real world mileage is much less, but still good. I've been averaging 24 mpg lately driving around town, with about 70-80% stop and go. I just wish we had the 5-speed auto that's in the new Maxima, which is rated at 20/30 vs 20/26. That would allow me to get 2-3 more mpg's. :surprise:
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Try posting in the G35 forums. I highly doubt many I35 owners, including me, know where to get a G35 fixed besides the Infiniti dealership.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    This is kinda a bad thing that you all may want to be aware of.

I have 43k on my car...and my sunroof motor already burnt out. I rarely side back the sunroof...but rather have it tilted in the vent position. All of a sudden it would not come back down. Cost me $525 to replace the motor.

I am not the only one. A friend of mine has already replaced TWO sunroof motors.

Anyone else had the same problem??? :lemon:
    not me, but I do tend to frequently open the sunroof (Tennessee weather permits this often)

Shouldn't it be covered by the 4/60K Bumper to Bumper warranty though?
    Just passed up the warranty period so it is not covered.

Telling you...the sunroof motor burnt out in my car...and a friend who has a "Q45" (went through TWO motors by the time he hit 90k)

:sick:

you drive an I30? Because I think Infiniti didn't introduce the I35 until late 2002, which would mean that you're still covered by the warranty.
  • shiskashiska Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for your comments.My daily commute is also about 40 -60% . Although I don't use the trip computer much I have noticed it tends to be a little optimistic.My best mileage was on a leisurely run from Western Mass. to Eastern Me.in Oct. and I had the cruise set at a little over 60, so that seems quite similar to your results as well.As your mileage is relatively high for an I35 I was wondering what you repair experience has been?What problems have you run into and what has your service experience been?
    was pretty good. I took it in for the 3750 service and everything went smoothly. I got the keys to the loaner car, they serviced my car, a few hours later, I got my car back and returned the loaner, signed the paperwork, had it all charged to my credit card and went home. Pretty pleasant and efficient.
    Yes...I do drive an I30. Just that the board for the I30 is pretty much dead.

Basically...the I30 and I30 are the same. Alright...you will have some additional features which aren't on mine. But mechanically same.

As for the moonroof motor. It has occurred on my I30. Friend had several konked out on his "Q". So basically I take it that the Infiniti motors are not all that well.

Hope you folks will not kick me off of the board since I am driving an I30...the sibling of the I35.
    I don't think we will. The I35 board is pretty quiet too...

We should just combine the boards...
  • scottsoscottso Member Posts: 5
    The other day is started my 2002 I35 and the cliamte control unit registered -169 degrees, the a/c was on full and none of the buttons worked to adjust it or turn it off. Has anybody had a similar problem?

My dealer has told me they need to replace the whole dashboard unit at a cost of over $800!!! I'm pretty ticked off cause the car is under the warranty in Time but only over few thousand in miles over and I am a loyal Nissan owner (over 7 cars). They tried to get me under the Goodwill Program but I was denied. I have my car "maintained" at the dealership every 5,000 miles and get replaced whatever they tell me needs replacing at the time. I DON'T sign on for the "Scheduled MaintenceProgram" casue I see no need to spend over $300 for them to fill my washer fluid, check my cruise control, check my tire pressure, check the parking brake etc.

Can anyone help me with the diagnoisis and any chance of raising the issue further at Infiniti to get results?

thanks
    hmmmmm... Being a owner of a newer I35, I don't think I'd know much about this topic.

Try taking it to a different dealer to see if they think it has a different problem.

Can some of the more "senior" I35 owners help out here?
  • strickermstrickerm Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 I35 and somehow the Remote Keyless Entry mode switched to "Normal" - no horn chirp or hazards. I've gone through the steps to switch from "Normal" to "Hazard and Horn Chirp" and even though the system responds as if it executed a switch, it does not remain in the "Hazard and Horn Chirp" mode. Is there a reset? Any suggestions?
    Have you checked the battery in your key fob?I would check the simple things first before looking for serious/expensive issues. Good luck.
  • thisisbellethisisbelle Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I recently purchased a 2002 I35. I love my car so far with the exception that I do not have a owners manual. I was wondering about the trip features when I click on the mode button on the steering wheel. One is dte, mpg, mph and the last one is like a clock. I guess the dte is drive til empty, the other is how many miles per gallon, but I do not understand the mpg because it doesnt match how fast I am driving and I don't understand the "clock" read out either. Is that the number of hours the car has been driven? Any help any of you could give would be greatly appreciated!! :)
  • thisisbellethisisbelle Member Posts: 6
    oops, I don't understand the MPH because it doesn't match the miles per hour that I am driving...sorry :blush:
    The MPH is a mesure of the average speed you're driving since the last time you reset it.

If you don't have an owner's manual, an Infiniti dealer can order one for you or you can bid on eBay if there is one up for sale.
    measures how long you have driven since the last time it was reset. To reset those numbers, just go to the one you want to reset, and hold the TRIP button.
  • yankeebelleyankeebelle Member Posts: 22
    The MPH (miles per hour) gives you the average speed (including time stopped and accelerating/decelerating) between resets (hold the mode button down to reset any of the items on the the computer). It won't "match" your speed because of the fluctuations during driving and the whole accelerating/decelerating aspect. :blush:

MPG (miles per gallon) works the same way, also averaging during stops, etc.

The clock is so you can time your trips, it shows the number of hours the car has been driven since it was reset. I set mine for road trips. :shades:

Distance to Empty is DTE and it will count down your miles to be driven until you have to push your way to a gas station. It actually stops at 25 miles and then just flashes at you no matter what you have the dash set to view. So if it is flashing, get gas. If the fuel "idiot light" comes on, lace up your sneakers. :sick:
  • pvellozopvellozo Member Posts: 19
    i have a 2000 I 30 which has been fairly trouble free till now.
    recently the drivers power seat stopped moving backward and forward. the up and down controls still work.
    i found on the internet that there is a technical service bulletin for this problem, that the power seat motor needs to be replaced. this is estimated to cost $700 +tax.
    as the vehicle is out of warranty, i will have to pay.
    my question is this: as this is a problem that they apparently know about that occurs in only 2 model years of f this vehicle, what are my chances of getting infiniti to pay for this repair.
    infinitesimal??
  • rawdadrawdad Member Posts: 12
    Belle, hi! I also have a 2002 I35 that I bought a few months ago. I don't know if you will be able to get the owners manual from the dealer - the best my dealer could get is a 2001 manual for an I30. I did find that on the Infiniti website you can get it - PDF file:
    http://www.infiniti.com/m/pdf/manuals/2002/2002-Infiniti-I35.pdf

Hope this helps!
    I have a 2002 I35 with 27k miles on it and have had it for about 6 mos. I have noticed two things that the dealer cannot figure out what is wrong:
    1) Hesitation - when starting from stop, about 10 to 20% of the time, there is a hesitation - slightly - no patern that I can notice to it. Dealer cannot find anything wrong - and of course, it doesn't happen when they drive it. It is quite annoying to say the least

2) Oil Consumption - I need to add a quart of oil about every 2000 - 3000 miles. I only use 100% synthetic and it still happens. They couldn't find anything wrong.

My dealer is highly rated for service - very highly according to Infiniti. Has anyone else had these problems? Thanks

George
    Hmmmm...
    I would get the engine checked.
    A modern car shouldn't be that oil thirsty.

How many miles were on the car when you bought it?
    The number of miles on the car seem awefully low...
    I bought it in Mar 2005 with 16k miles. Was owned by 57 yr old man in NJ. Found it at an Infiniti dealer in NJ thru the internet. Paid 18,775 for it. I put on 25k to 30k miles per year so I need a car that will last and still has a lot of warranty. The car passed a Carfax check and the dealer (my Infiniti dealer in Rochester) verified that all the maintenace was done (including the 15k service) and that the mileage was correct. My brother-in-law is an auto body mechanic who lives near the dealer I bought it from and he looked at it and determined that it was not in an accident. So, I thought I was buying a Cherry. Well, the hesitation and the oil consumption appear worrisome. The dealer could not find anything wrong when I complained of the hesitation - had it in twice - nor could they sense the symptoms that I described. THe initial oil consumption problem could have been explained in that it may not have been fully filled when i had the oil changed. In the last 3500 miles since my last change, it has consumed about half a quart - still more than it should. My 99 I30 with 110k miles never uses any oil even after 8k miles (synthetic oil). So, something is not right.

Any mechanics out there have a clue? COuld the oil consumption and hesitation be linked (like if there is a head gasket problem)? Don't know. For now, the dealer doesn't have a clue either. My next trip to the dealer, I will demand an answer - or at least start replacing parts!

Thanks.
  • seabushseabush Member Posts: 68
    This was very helpful. Thanks
    I don't have a clue either, being a fresh I35 owner, and so far mine hasn't given me any problems, I took it in for the 3750 Miles service back in May, and its got 7100 miles on it now, so it'll be up for the 7500 soon.

Have you tried taking it to various Infiniti dealerships in your area? How about a local mechanic with experience working on Nissan's VQ35 engine?
  • gafishgafish Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 that at 36k miles began smoking from the left exhaust. The dealer claims I did not maintain properly but I changed oil at least every 5K. Now with 42K, and an oil (synthetic)hange every 3000 miles it progressivly has gotten worse and now looks like a MAJOR white cloud when I start it up.
    What could it be? Any thoughts.....

Thanks
    Hmmmmmmmm.....

Could be your transmission... Could be almost anything really.

I'm stumped on this one. CR gave the I35 an "outstanding" Reliability rating.
    jchan is right, it could be almost anything,but major white smoke can often indicate a coolant leak into the combustion chamber(s) especially if the exhaust is sweet smelling and there are fluid droplets dripping from the exhaust pipe.Check your oil, if it looks milky or cloudy you have a leak and should have it attended to right away.I would make sure this is not the problem before doing any more driving. Good luck.
  • knoticaloneknoticalone Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I have a 2002 I35.I have noticed recently a fairly large cloud of white exhaust smoke when I start the vehicle in the morning or after a 3-4 hour gap in driving. It does not smoke at all once it has been running 30 or so seconds.It is enough smoke that it fills the garage and makes it impossible to park it there. The dealer replaced the PCV valve and found nothing else (after keeping it for 10 days). They told me it is normal for an I 35 to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
    I don't think the smoke is normal. My I35 doesn't create a ton of smoke when I go to start it up.

Has the smoke reoccured since the dealership replaced the PCV valve?
    It did not seem to change it at all. The car runs great otherwise. It is intermittent anyway but bad when it occurs.
    do you have other Infiniti dealers in your area? I'd try a different dealership
    I actually called another and they told me that if the other dealer had looked at it there was nothing they could do and that a lot of smoke was normal. I guess I could try to bring it there in person and see if I get a better response. It definitely seems worse in colder weather. At least they caught a transmission leak and fixed that.
    Recently, I've been hearing some faint knocking from the engine when I accelerate moderately, and was wondering if anyone has experienced this. It only occurs upon light acceleration. I don't hear anything when going up hills or getting up to speed quickly, and the "check engine" light has not come on, so I'm assume it's ok. It's not constant either, so I'm assuming the engine computer is constantly searching for the right timing to maximize efficiency. I always use premium gas, and even switched stations and brands to see if it made any difference, which it didn't. I plan on taking it in for service after the holidays to have it checked, but should I be worried in meantime? Overall, I'm getting between 24 and 25 mpg in mixed driving, and with over 51,000 miles, my I35 has been a excellent vehicle.
    hmmmm...
    I think its nothing too major, but I'm not certain and since it's still under warranty, I'd have it checked out. (and if it is serious, at least you can still get one of those G35 loaners)

by the way, the 3rd oil change on my car is being done today and I have a brand new loaner G35 in my driveway with 1700 miles.
    I just reviewed the owners manual, and it states it's ok to have light knock under engine load. Heavy knock, or steady knocking on level roads is not ok and should be check by the dealer. Fortunately I'm not experiencing this, so I should be ok. I will have it checked though on my trip to the dealer. :)
    Good.

Update on my 2004 Brilliant Silver/Willow I35:
    Mileage: 12,200 ish as of today
    Problems: 0. Nilch. Nada. Nothin'. However you want to say it.
    Dislikes: not much. For the money, it was a wonderful buy.

Why don't you just wait for your next oil change just before 60,000 miles and have it checked out?
    Today, it rained and the humidity was high. While driving my normal routine, I noticed no engine knocking. I wonder if the humidity had anything to do with it? I'll find out when it clears up tomorrow and the next day. :D
    A quick update on the smoke problem. The dealership did a compression check and it ranged from 90 to 160. I now have a new engine and all under warranty. They still have no idea what went wrong. Even flew in techs from corporate!
    sounds like you got a nice free new engine...

Problem solved. (albeit quite expensively, but at least you didn't have to pay a single penny)
    Glad it worked out for ya!
    I definitely would not have liked to pay for that repair! They said they are going to break the engine down to see what went wrong. I hope I hear just out of curiousity.
  • blueinfinitiblueinfiniti Member Posts: 3
    I just came across your message and I'm in the same position. The seat stopped working in the fore and aft direction a month after the warrenty expired. Did you ever get any relies to your message or if you got it fixed, did it actually cost $700 ?
  • prashv1prashv1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a leased 2003 I35 with 24k miles spun after another vehicle nudged me on a highway and rear right tire broke off from the axle with all the nuts and bolts intact. Threads are worn out on the axle. right front tire is damaged. Airbags did not deploy. At the moment insurance is inspecting on it and I am really concerned about the safety of this vehicle and I am not sure if I want to take my family in this car again after this incident. Trying to talk to insurance and infiniti get their input. Any pointers or guidance are welcome. Will this be a totalled or can this be fixed. Should I take this up with infiniti to get replaced.
  • blueinfinitiblueinfiniti Member Posts: 3
    I35 power seat
    Same problem. Same timing. Have you had any luck resolving this?
    Update on my engine knock problem. I went on my annual holiday trek, total of 1500 miles and no engine knock. I think I had some bad gas - so I'll be more picky about where I buy gas now.

My mpg was 29 on the way out with cruise set no higher than 72, and it was 28 on the way back with cruise set at 75-78. Mpg was calculated using mile driven divided by gallons used. My trip computer stated I was getting 34 mpg, I wish! :)