Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying

philip17philip17 Member Posts: 25
Hello:

I'm an editor at Edmunds.com and I've written many of the advice pieces. Now I need your help.

I'm doing research for a story that tests the way cars are priced. Specifically: if you walk on the lot and ask for a price on a car they will probably quote you sticker price and try to stick to that. But if you go through the Internet department, the same car will immediately be discounted.

Has anyone had this experience? Can any of you post your stories and the prices of the cars involved. I need this information for my article.

Thanks for your help.

Philip Reed
Consumer Advice Editor
Edmunds.com

Philip Reed, Edmunds.com Senior Consumer Advice Editor

Comments

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    How many stories do you need?

Truthfully, I've seen it go both ways. Somtimes the customer gets the right salesman and sometimes they get the wrong internet guy. Usually the internet or fleet managers come in low right away; where the salesman's job is to protect the dealer's profit margin the internet manager's is to move product.
  • abtsellerabtseller Member Posts: 291
    one shot at the internet customer, so we cut to the chase immediately. The lot guys try to start out higher, but will eventually get into our range.

How many stories do you want? We could write a book.

Ed
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Gimme a call if ya want...

I'm moving a ton of used cars on eBay and autotrader.com and I do put my "bottom-line" pricing there as a rule..

Bill

PA.. ya missed the fun this week!
  • eimeriaeimeria Member Posts: 12
    I used the fax/email method described by brentwood in the Acura shopping thread to get what I feel is a phenomenal price on a new 2003 Acura TL-S with Navi. I proposed what I thought was a fair price for the vehicle and emailed a ton of dealerships within about a 90 minute drive of my location. Some of the dealers didn't respond, some were down right rude, and some gave decent quotes. I also emailed a dealership that I had dealt with previously that was two hours away to see what they could do. They responded quickly, courteously and with a price significantly lower than the others. Guess who earned my business :-).

On the whole, it was a pleasant buying experience. There was none of the dickering over price or stress of negotiating. Instead, I got to do things at my own pace in an environment that I was comfortable in. The only anxiety I experienced in the whole process was in waiting for those emails responses to role back in. I would recommend it to anyone buying a new car.

On the flip side, I do have some recommendations for dealers. I know I may be speaking to a lot of converts already, but there are a lot of things that a dealer can do to increase the likelihood that I, as an internet buyer, will buy from you. I found that the most useful responses were from dealers that used some sort of form. These responses included some details about the car, price, destination fees, dealer prep fees, and any fees associated with titling or registering the car. By being upfront with all the not so obvious costs of a car, those dealers earned a long hard second look from me. Also, and perhaps most importantly, be courteous in your response even if the price the customer is asking is totally out of whack with what you think you can sell the car at. I sent my emails out to dealers with an offer based upon Edmund's TMV, so I did not think my offer was way out of line for my area. I received several offers that were close (but it turned out they couldn't get the color I wanted on a 2002, so I got the great deal on a 2003). However, a couple of dealers were pretty rude in their responses. One responded that they would not "devalue our product in such a way. This offer is unacceptable." While I may not have the capacity to understand the economics that drive automobile pricing beyond simple supply and demand, I am capable of figuring out that if dealer X , Y, and Z can sell that car for $200 more than my offer than it is not really "devaluing" the product that much. However, if it is unacceptable to you, suggest something that would be more reasonable. I was amazed that I could contact dealers with a stated intent to buy a car for a certain amount of money TODAY and be told "Sorry, can't do that" and not receive some sort of counter offer. To me, it would make sense to at least give me your best price. You might be a little higher, but it does no harm to ante up and get in the game. You might be a couple of hundred bucks higher, but I might be willing to pay that. Maybe your dealership is on the way home from my office or my child's daycare. I might be willing to part with a little more of my hard earned dollars for that little bit of convenience. You will never have the chance to find out and take some of my hard earned money from me if you don't at least suggest what would be a fair price for you.

I'm sure most car salespeople see their share of buyers who want to nickel and dime you so that they can save a buck of two. As a buyer, I want to get a price that I think is fair, to me and to you. After using the email method to purchase my new car, I'm most likely to recommend to my family, friends and co-workers the dealerships that did all the things I described above.
    I personally don't think I'll buy another car by walking into a showroom to sit down and negotiate again. It's not a perfect method, but it really puts the power in the hands of the buyer. If I bought the old way and you treated me like cr@p, I had to get up and leave, wasting a lot of my time. If you do that to me now, one simple keystroke and PLONK! you're filed in the trash with all of the other spam that I get.

I do want to thank all of the great contributors to these forums. They provide a lot of information that makes the car buying experience much more palatable. If more sales people were like the ones that frequent these forums, I think most people would not have such a negative opinion of the process.
  • beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    I bought a Forester last August the old-fashioned way - face-to-face.

I also looked at the Ford/Mazda Tribscape, Xterra, Pathfinder and one or two others.

In the process of using the Internet to research them, I wound up on manufacturers' sites that said design your car and e-mail local dealers FOR A PRICE. I believed them. HA!

Okay, I tried two or three. All I got back was invites to come on down and talk.

If I had wanted to come on down and talk I wouldn't have been sitting there typing my info into the pc, e-mailing it and waiting for an answer.

They lied on the sites, or they don't know what their representatives are really doing.

Thanks for listening.

John
  • lonesomeduvlonesomeduv Member Posts: 50
    I recently tried to obtain quotes through the Internet on an Acura TL, a Toyota Tacoma, and a Ford F-150. Each time I was given some b.s. reason that I needed to either call or "come on down to the dealership and let's talk".

I did not want to go down to the dealership and talk. That's why I used the internet. I wanted a damned quote, no more, no less. Why is that so frigging difficult in this business?
  • garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    Last year, I got a great deal on a new Outback Sedan for the wife. Emailed the "internet rep." at the Subaru dealership, and an hour later I was offered a GREAT deal. No other dealer was willing to come within $2K of the price they gave me up front.

Last month I was looking for a new ML320, so I emailed the dealers & also all the internet sites like Stoneage, Autobytel, etc.
    Of the 3 dealers in the area, one never replied, one quoted me FULL MSRP as their "best price" (and I was already one of their customers) after about a week, and the third dealer sent me a letter two weeks after my inquiry asking me to go to their dealership and talk to them.

Pissed me off so bad I went and bought a new Envoy. (With a GM Employee Discount, so internet shopping wouldn't have made any difference anyway)
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I totally agree with the getting a quote business. I'm not emailing dealers so that I can come down and talk. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

When I was buying my Altima, I emailed 6 dealers for a quote. 3 of them called me and wanted me to come down and talk. 1 never replied. 2 gave me a price quote, and I bought from the cheaper one of those two.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No smart dealer will give you a "quote" to go shop! Sure, some business will be lost that way, but a smart dealer will simply tell the shopper to bring in an offer after getting quotes from everyone else!

It is truly amazing to se what some people will put themselves through in their quest to get the "best" price on a car!

And beware of the lowball! I recently had a customer drive over 100 miles to "save" five hundred dollars on a new Civic.

When she got there, the car she wanted turned out to be a five speed and not the automatic she wanted!

" Oh...I could've sworn you wanted a stick...sorry, but the automatics are 800.00 more"

She stormed out, drove another 100 miles and bought the car from me.

Sadly, a lot of shoppers wold have simply caved in and bought the car from the store that lied to them.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I've had this argument before, but I think it's worth the possible lost sale (and shopping of your price) to give the consumer a quote. It doesn't take that much of your time, and many consumers appreciate the no-nonsense approach to sales. I know I did, and that is a big part of the reason I bought my Altima where I did.
  • beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    In my example, I'm refering to manufacturers' sites. Not some local dealer's site.

The sites say "Choose Model, Color, Options and Click Here To Get A Quote From A Local Dealer."

What part of this am I misreading? :)

Appears deceptive to me. It should read click here to get bravo sierra.

John
    I definately see your point about emailed quote requests as being a method to gain quotes that are then going to be used to shop. However, I think salespeople should be viewing those requests as people looking to buy, not just people looking to shop. Sure, some will be shopping, but I would think giving out that price quote by email would be worth it if only some were actually people looking to buy and not shop. We are all looking for the "best" price. Do you like it when you pay too much for an item? In a lot of ways I think a few bad apples, both buyers and sellers, have dictated how the rest of us go about the process. Unfortunately this has left buyers with the impression that all car dealers are sleazy salesman who are trying to cheat them out of the all their hard earned money. You don't have to look much further than the Inconsiderate buyer thread to see some of the cr@p that buyers pull.

When I emailed, I emailed out an offer for a new car. I named what was included in my offer and what costs the offer did not include (tax and tags). I indicated I was buying that day from the first dealer that met my offer. While I was willing to pay a little bit more than I offered, many dealers did not even make a counter offer. If you give me a fair price quote you are more likely to earn my business than if you say "come on down and we'll talk".
    What you did is a far cry from what many salespeople see. You named your own price, something a certain internet company does, and it is more effective than challenging the dealers to a bidding war.
    I followed the advice of brentwood in the Acura shopping thread. Again, what really amazed me were the number of rude responses I got and the number of no reponses I got. A dealership less than 5 minutes away didn't even respond to me.

As I said, I was looking to buy, not shop. It would make sense to me to give a quote even if only 1 out of 10 inquiries is looking to buy.

I think the internet is an incredible resource for the consumer in the car buying process. It helps level the playing field and allows me to make best use of my time. I would recommend it to everyone.
    And not a bad way to shop...

" I'm willing to pay 18,250 for a XXXXX and will buy it today...can you do that?"

That will get a response.

"Give me your "best price"? These requests are generally ignored since the vast majority of them amount to nothing.

It's not 1 out of 10....not even close!
    The hazard of naming your own price includes rejection. The salesmen live with it all the time. I get it every day.

No biggie; you got what you wanted, those who didn't respond are out a sale.
    Out of curiousity, what percentage of internet leads turn in to sales for you?

Are you more likely to agree to an offer that is slightly low if it is coming from within your normal sales area or outside of it?

Although I think I may be still smarting from being turned down by that cute redhead when I was a gawky teenager, being rejected by a salesman just seems puzzling to me. If you really don't want my money, fine with me. I don't understand it, but there are a lot of things in life I don't understand. =)
    I don't sell the cars, I shop online for my customers.

Close-rate-wise, I have a little better than 13% of "raw" offers accepted this month. That includes the people who are trying to save 50% off on a new car and crazy stuff like that (those mostly get ignored). I have a little over 30% of "reasonable" offers, those that dealers are likely to respond to, closed. Some of these are cars that have been configured incorrectly, usually the wrong options or color combinations are a sticking point.

My response rate from dealers is running 76% month-to-date, a little above average. This means that a lot of my offers were still either too low, too small a search area or configured badly enough that the dealers didn't reply to the request.

I collect a deposit from my customer, tell the dealer about it and they still don't always respond. Go figure. You can't throw money at some people!
  • isellpotiacisellpotiac Member Posts: 122
    I too was rejected by a redhead. I waited a year turned less gawky and got an even cuter redhead! That is kind of like being a salesman!
    If you really and truly are giving "your best price" over the Internet (or even at the store, for that matter), why do you care if someone shops it around? If it's really "your best price", then nobody else should be able to beat it unless they really and truly are operating a more efficient operation than you. And if they are, well, you gave "your best price" so you did everything you could do to get the sale and you should congratulate the other guy and see what you can do to make your operation more efficient so you can beat him next time.
    you've been around here long enough to know that there's no such thing as a single "best price." Just about anyone will knock $100-200 off a deal to steal it from the competition, but when does the insanity end?

Had a guy on a Highlander last week. Hard enough to find, but he wanted something that will have to be special ordered. No problem. The dealer down the street was offering to sell it to him for invoice and had a buy-down rate to 0% for 36 mos.

I saved him a lot of time and effort. I told him to go buy it from my competitor. If they're dumb enough to throw away that much money, they have my blessing.

I explain it like this. "Yes, Mr. customer, you can always save $100-200 shopping my number somewhere else, but you'll have to go through the typical "dealership experience" that you were trying to avoid in the first place by shopping on the internet. Now, I can deliver your new car to you and you can sign the papers on your kitchen table with no BS and you can have that day of your life back to do something worthwhile with your family. How much is your time worth to you?"

I'm looking through a few of my last surveys here... "we paid more with Ed than our local dealer, but loved the process"..."wasn't the least expensive, but provided the best service"...It goes on and on.

Ed
    I have a question for you. What happens when you tell a customer to buy it from the competition, goodbye and goodluck but they still stick around? Whenever I tell a customer the above they still want to know what my best price is. I will answer it is higher than what you say you can buy it for down the street. I was in the practice of warning them about certain tactics used by competition. I no longer do this because if I cannot turn the customer around by that point I figure I will look bad by badmouthing competition.
    that point is give them my standard pricing on something. I tell them that my numbers are always "real" and that I won't play any games with them. Many times, when people are shopping numbers, the sales people are pricing vehicles that aren't in stock anyway, and if I can come up with a competitive price on the vehicle, especially if I have it in stock, I'll get the deal, just to save the people the hassle of waiting.

What cracks me up is when the customer is trying to buy one of my vehicles from another dealership. I had that happen with an Avalon a couple of months ago...the guy calls and tells me that his local dealer will sell him MY car cheaper than I will (again, not by much). I informed him that I didn't have to trade the car with that dealer, then I told him how easy I could make the whole process on him, and we delivered it that afternoon. One of the surveys I mentioned in the above post was from that guy.

Ed
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    Yes, I've had that happen too - the guy wanting to buy my "one of a kind" threatens to go and buy it from another store because he knows we can transfer between stores. LOL!
    The "insanity ends" when either you or the competitor who's undercutting your true "best price" goes out of business. You'll go out of business because you can't provide the same service as efficiently as somebody else - which is how a free market is supposed to work - or he'll go out of business because he's a moron who sells cars below his cost, and a free market doesn't tolerate morons gladly.

You dealer guys are always telling us thick skulled customers that we should focus on the "out the door" price and if that's the price we're willing to pay, we should shut up and be happy with that and not worry about saving $100 for the dealer across town. So, I similarly advise your side that if you truly quoted your "best price", YOU should be happy because that's the lowest price at which you are willing to sell the vehicle, and not worry what the dealer across town is doing.

Quote your best price - no more, no less. Problem solved. Please, tell me what am I missing. I want to hear this.
    that nothing is cut and dry in the car business. As someone explained in the "buying cars for cost" discussion, the actual cost of the car can change daily because of many factors.

There is no single "best price." In my emails and telephone conversations, I quote someone a very competitive price, which varies by the type of vehicle, market conditions, etc, but I also mention to them that if they have a lower price from another dealer, I'd certainly do everything I can to beat it. My compensation relies on me making the dealership money, so I don't always quote the lowest price (in the first conversation). Nobody does.

There are also intangibles that add value to a transaction (my service) that I should be compensated for. I'm going to say this again, at the risk of seeming repetitive, THE LOWEST PRICE ISN'T ALWAYS THE BEST VALUE.

I'm sorry that you don't like the color of the sky in reality.

You haven't heard of anyone here posting a thread called "I got my car for free because two dealers have a promotion where they will beat anyone else's deal by $500!!" have you?

Believe it or not, dealerships are in business to make money. If another dealership is going to beat my quote significantly, they can have the deal, because usually the "haggle to the last $50" customer is a perpetual problem on the surveys also.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but what part of this aren't you understanding?

Ed
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    There is a frequent radio ad in these parts for a dealer that "will beat any price", but in the mumbled 'fine print' at the end, they note that the competitor's vehicle must be an exact match - color, options, trimline, etc...and the kicker clause: They reserve the right to buy the competitor's vehicle.

So the insanity has its' limits with those guys.
    This is open to anyone that doesn't understand why there is no such thing as a "best price." Imagine your employer came up to you today and asked "What's the lowest salary you'll work for?"

What number do you give?
  • dustidusti Member Posts: 36
    Can't expect the dealer to cut to the bone on the first shake ...

just because a customer walks in the door demanding his "best" price.

If the customer can convince the dealer he is a serious buyer, has the cash, and is willing to take his business elsewhere ..

... can generally get the dealer's "best" price without too much effort.

The act of doing this is called negotiating.

To expect to get it without negotiating is sort of entrapping the dealer into a lie.
    I'm not trying to be condescending either, but one of your fellow salesmen in that same "buying for cost" thread insisted that "cost is cost" and that if we didn't understand that, well, we must be thick.

Now you're telling me that "the actual cost of the car can change daily because of many factors".

I'm just confused - is cost really cost, or isn't it? I'm guess I'm just too thick to understand.
    Why can't I expect the dealer to cut to the bone on the first shake? I expect WalMart, Best Buy, the local grocery story, Dillards, Texaco, JC Penneys, Sears, The Gap, McDonalds, Krispy Kreme, Old Navy, Linens & Things, Golfsmith, Amazon.com, and every other retailer I know of to do it. What's so special about car dealers that they can't do the same?
    I'd give him the lowest salary I'll work for, but I'd insist on a $1000 per month ad fee.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Because you can beat the pricing at any of those national retailers with someresearch.

In order to beat their prices, you have to expend effort.

Hmmm... would that be like "There are no free lunches in the real world" ?
    I see. And if the salary you state you'll work for is only $100/year less than what your employer wanted to pay you'd just pack up your stuff and go home huh?
    If it cost me an additional $101 to survive, I'd have to. I wouldn't go home, I'd just go look for a job elsewhere.
    Thanks for your insight on my question in post #36. Sorry I have started a pissing match betweeen you and others. I am out of here. I will go over to the Honda and Toyota boards and post customer loyalty results to the ill informed. Just kidding of course. I am in a good mood this morning due to a great Febuary and hopefully and great kickoff to a good spring. I was so busy last month I did not have time to deal with any inconsiderate customers. The last week it was more like "here is my price, would you like to buy it?" I have about 10 unfortunate phone calls to make to people that wanted to see how much better the deals would get in March.
    a good Feb. Don't worry about the confrontations, I look at them as a "reality war." Either your playing within the rules of reality or your not. Next.

Ed
    I had a guy who just made it under the wire for an Avalanche. I set him up with his dealer right before I went home last night, and he picked the car up after they ran a locate and got the car to him when he changed his mind on the color. My friend should go under considerate dealers for that one.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    A West Coast Caddy dealer has this BIG screamer ad in this morning's paper. "We'll beat any dealer's signed order" "Internet invoice pricing on all 2002 Caddys in stock" Then the dreaded asterisk* !!Then you read "internet invoice price must NOT conflict with Cadillac factory invoice" Now which one do you think will be higher ?? Dealers that pull this crap do not deserve any sane person's business. What garbage !! As you might imagine they are a Toyota dealer too. The WORST of both worlds so to speak LOL !

hud :):)
    That ad is directed at people that will get an invoice orice from edmunds and fail to read the part about ad fees. Read my post in "GM rebates after the 28th"
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    isellpotiac: it just seems that they are always hiding something in those ads. The ones I REALLY love are the ones that advertise a car for "X" amount of $, usually some REALLY low ball number, and then down at the bottom of the page in print so small you need a 10x lens to read it "after $3500 cash or trade" lousy, sneaky and undrhanded in my opinion. Most dealers do that, except your store ,right ? Just kidding !! LOL

hud :):)
    These screamer ads often work. This is exactly why these dealers continue to run them!

The mooch buyer knows something must be amiss but can't resist checking it out.

And often they will simply cave in and buy the car from the sleazy dealer who lured them in.

Too bad...
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Those dealerships pulling gimmicks and false advertising are usually big stores,the weird thing I noticed is the bigger the sleazier they are,if any indication it tells you the world is filled with naive people,sad!
  • eagle_eyeseagle_eyes Member Posts: 5
    I used the "get a quote from the dealer" in Edmunds and rec'd an email from the internet sales manager telling me what he could do. I shopped around at other dealerships without the internet including one I'd bought from for over 10 years. (I generally trade in every 2-3 years) In a nutshell, the internet salesman got my business. I rec'd no hassle and it was the easiest most exciting car buying experience I'd ever had and rec'd top $ for my trade in! I left the place without a headache and feeling good about the transaction. I'd give it a shot...what do you have to loose. Btw, I bought from a dealer that participates in Auto Nation. I've posted my experience in the smart shopper area under "AutoNation.com - did you get a good deal?" Have fun in your search and remember "you" are the customer and have the right to be treated with good old fashion courtesy and you'll be happy to return the same.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Can you really get a better deal by purchasing a car on-line? The old car-buying method and the new on-line way will be test driven for savings in this new two-part article: Part One: Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying - How Much Can the Internet Save You?. Please feel free to use the following discussion to post your thoughts on this article or your own opinion on whether buying in person / on-line is better. Thanks.

Car_man

Host

Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards

• wayside1wayside1 Member Posts: 36
    ... it wasn't so much about saving money as about saving time and getting a much more hassle-free purchase.

I've bought my last two cars via the internet (if you count email as internet, this was a large part of it):

Car 1: 1997 Nissan Maxima. I browsed the dealer's web site, and contacted them via e-mail. They had fixed pricing for customers who found them via the internet - 1.8% over invoice, plus about $100 in doc fees. They had the car I wanted, I went in, test drove it, and bought it (cash transaction). Total time in dealership: less than one hour. No hassles, no pressure.

Could I have gotten it cheaper? Yes - the weekend before I bought it, their Sunday ad contained my car for $100 less than what I paid (I hadn't noticed it in the ad). When I asked for an explanation, the internet guy said he had no idea it was advertised for that price, but since the deal was done, he couldn't give me money back. So instead he gave me a $100 credit for service. Would a salesman on the floor have given me that price if I didn't ask for it? Probably not.

Car 2: 2003 Toyota Sienna. My company belongs to a group called MassBuyPower, which pre-negotiates prices with specific dealers for each manufacturer. I contacted them via email about the Sienna, got a reply to go to a particular dealer and talk to a particular person, where I would get the car for $200 over invoice plus $200 in doc fees. I so called them up, made an appointment, did a test drive, and bought the car (cash transaction). Total time in dealership: < one hour. No hassles, no pressure.

Could I have gotten it cheaper: maybe. The really large Toyota dealers around here are always running ads that make it look like I could have saved several hundred bucks over what I did pay. It's really hard to tell, because the ads are deceptive (asterisks all over, rebates go to dealer, have to buy the day you come in, yada yada). I had no interest in spending half a day dickering, though. I thought <2% over invoice was good enough.

Conclusion: while I may be leaving a few hundred bucks on the table by not spending all day grinding down the dealer, the pleasantness and hassle-free nature of the experience more than makes up for it. Besides, I don't begrudge the dealer a little bit of profit. All my research was done on the internet, so I knew what I wanted and what the prices were before I started looking for a dealer.

I'll never buy another new car the old way.
    like wayside. I could write a counter-article, "how NOT to buy a car on the internet"

Ed
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    We have also bought our last two cars through the internet.(SLK and a Sienna).In the case of the SLK ,I put an inquiry into the MBenz web site.In the case of the Sienna,I got the email addresses of apprx 5 local Toyota dealers (from Toyota website) and emailed them that i was interested in purchasing.
    In both cases,the entire negotiation process lasted about 5 minutes and we paid a fair price.To us the convenience and ease of the transaction was more important than trying to save the last $100 or so.
    With sites like this one ,it is now pretty easy to know if you are getting a fair price or not-and in the experiences I've had the car guys know that-so they offer a fair price pretty much upfront-we countered once and we were done.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    has embarked upon what will, no doubt, be a long and interesting exchange...However; a probably more enlightening comparison would focus on the entire purchasing experience. For example, having all contracts & paperwork printed and ready for signing prior to arrival at the Dealership...Car washed ,waxed, filled with gas, and ready for delivery prior to arrival at the Dealership. These are the types of things that make an enormous difference to the customer, and are but a few of the real benefits of dealing with the Internet Dept.

Price is only one of many components...
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Living in chicago area, there is no shortage of dealers. I have bought my last two vehicles via internet/email. I obviously do go to a dealer to do test drive, kick tires etc... and even engage the salesman a shot at my business.

I have always found best price on internet. I can sit at my time, email 7 dealers and ask for best price or meet my price and I will seal the deal.

I have found though that some dealerships internet service is a waste of time. The "so-called "internet special" price is nothing special at all, just all smoke and mirrors.

When I bought my Aurora, I was getting internet prices that varied by thousands of dollars.

When I joined the masses on my '03 Ody I actually got the best price by picking up the phone a getting a salesman through blind luck. But since I had problems with this dealer on the ordered vehicle, that eventually turned out ok. I had a network of about 5 dealers who would email almost weekly saying this color/model came in or this customer walked are you interested in the car.

I would think that the knowledgable, current generation of customer is going to demand more of this internet service. And the dealers who stay cutting edge will be the most successful. IMHO

Sorry for the long winded post...