Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hemiarmyguyhemiarmyguy Member Posts: 1
    Am receiving delivery in June of a 1500 QC SLT with the following:
    5.7 HEMI
    Auto Trans
    SXT value group
    Premium cloth
    Towing package
    Anti-spin Diff
    Fold flat storage
    4 Wheel ABS
    Auto dim rear view
    Painted cast aluminum wheels
    Leather covered steering wheel

After rebates, price delivered is $23,770. I think that's pretty good. Can't wait to pick it up.
  • pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    My 1500 V6 5 spdHD strippo stickered at $18,735 MSRP + 795 destination =$19,380 and was built in MO. The fleet price was listed at $17,813 with destination. I paid $15,995 out the door. Went directly to the fleet mgr. who gave me the deal. This is actually a "Work Special" which I can only find different to be a dark gray grill and bumpers and silver painted 17" wheels with small black center caps. They actually look sharper to me than the 17" argent gray spoke steels.
    Sticker:
    Only options listed are:
    -Cloth Split bench $97 (fleet price)
    -"Work Special" Group (-$352)
    -Rear sliding window $123
    With rebates, price was more like $14,300 + tax and license, though the T+L was based on the pre-rebate "deal" of $17,300, and I think the license here in CAL is higher than most in the US! Most of the "one only" deals that were popping up around here, for the same strippo, every couple of weeks had no slider and the vinyl bench at $13.995 "sale" price. I feel at $14,300 I got the same truck plus the window slider and cloth seat, but minus the chrome grill and with stamped steel (but nicely painted bright silver!) wheels.
  • spicolispicoli Member Posts: 1
    My truck stickered at $38,470 MSRP, including a destination charge of $795. This price includes the following options:
    -Trailer Tow Group $465
    -Heated Seats $140
    -Auto Trans $1,170
    -3.92 Axle Ratio $50
    -Anti Spin Diff. $285
    -Hemi 5.7L $895
    -20 X 9 Wheels $770
    -Hood Shield $90

The price I paid was $31,267 which is $3,009 under Edmund's TMV price of $34,276. Of course, this price includes all rebates ($2500 factory and 750 Military). I researched the invoice price of the vehicle I wanted using this site, of course (the best). Once I had all of my ducks in a row I went to the dealership (I went as far as locating the vehicle that I wanted using Dodge's dealer inventory search utility). Once there I told the sales person that I wanted to pay invoice then subtract all available incentives. It wasn't easy, but after a while I was able to get them down. They started off way over invoice, but I think they got that I was not going to give in. Anyway, they gave in and sold me a great truck, for a pretty good price!
  • sanchaisanchai Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking to buy an new truck either Dodge Ram 5.9 or 2004 GMC SLT with Duramax one of the Dodge quote me the price here (it is $1,200.00 les than 2004) I may get 2004 GMC but I still like the 5.9 engine better. Any one have sugestion?
    LEATHER 40/20/20 SEAT
    TRAILER TOW GROUP
    AIR BAGS SIDE SUPPLEMENTAL
    SEATS HEATED FRONT
    COVER TONNEAU SOFT
    4 SP AUT TRANS
    ANTI SPIN DIFF
    5.9 L CUMMINS
    AIR DAM FRONT
    265 ON AND OFF ROAD TIRES
    SHIELD FRONT HOOD PROTECTION
    CUSTOMER PREFERRED PACKAGE 2CH (LARMINE)

MSRP IS 42,600.00
    MY DISCOUNT 3356.00
    MANUFACTOR REBATE 2500.
    TOTAL IS 36744
    TRADE MERC 18,500
    TRADE KIA 3300 NO WINDSHIELD 3500 WITH
    EQUAL 14,944 DI
  • gwpricegwprice Member Posts: 14
    2004 Ram 1500 SLT
    Hemi 5.7/5-speed 5045RFE trans
    3.92 axle/limited slip diff
    Prem cloth seat
    Lthr steer wheel/wheel-mounted radio controls
    Sliding rear window
    Sport Appearance Group
    Polished 20" wheels
    Hood protection shield
    4-wheel anti-lock brakes
    Light group
    Infinity 6-disc CD/7-speaker radio

MSRP - $29,485
    Invoice - $26,160
    Rebate - $2,500
    TMV after rebate - $24,612

I paid $23,900

How'd I do?

BTW: This is a great truck!!
  • 14chow14chow Member Posts: 5
    Was that for a RCAB or QCAB? And was that out the door price?
  • osullcyosullcy Member Posts: 1
    gwprice

Where did you pick up this truck ?? I'm in illinois, and I'm having a hard time dealing with the sales people.

These sharks !! are wearing me down and just plain putting me off.. The best I have so far is 28,730 (odd, couple of bucks off) for an SLT Quad Cab 5.7 HEMI with premium cloth and 20" wheels.

I'm kind of at my wits end... Why is it so freakin hard to deal with these people.. ??
  • gwpricegwprice Member Posts: 14
    14chow- This is a regular cab. $23,900 does not include Tax & Title.

osullcy- I bought the truck in Northern VA. I bought it on the last day of the month (31 Oct), which may have helped. Good luck with your search.
  • juriasjurias Member Posts: 9
    i bought an 04 ram 1500 hemi yesterday at invoice at foothill ranch jeep chrysler dodge in lake forest, ca
  • rrotonrroton Member Posts: 5
    I bought it from Dealer stock last week, and I love it. It' an 04 2500 Q cab,HO,auto,4x4,short box.
    Window Sticker just under 40K, Invoice (as per this site) Just under 35K. Price I paid=just under 32K.
    Ford and GM build good cars and SUV's, but if you want a truck, get a REAL truck. GET A DODGE.
  • gotenx20gotenx20 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my Dodge Diesel Truck
    2001 Dodge Turbo Diesel,Quad Cab,Long bed
    and fully loaded for on $10K
    MSRP=$19,000
  • dfalknor1dfalknor1 Member Posts: 1
    I picked-up my new 04 3500 quad cab Laramie 2wdr, 5.9 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel on Tuesday from Lawrence Marshall in Hempstead TX list for $41675. plus bed liner and tow hooks and I paid $34489.00 with spray in bed liner and tow hooks. This truck has everything that I could thing of and more. Salesman was the best to deal with that I have every had, and I'm 64 and have bought alot of cars and truck. What a fun truck to drive. Traded a 02 Chevy LT and don't why I waited so long.
  • leomisleomis Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if/when they will have rebates again after they expire (Jan 2nd)?
    Also, any dealers recommended here in L.A./S. Cali area. I am looking for a '04 1500 Laramie Reg Cab Hemi 4X2 20" Wheels. Thanks
  • mysticlibertymysticliberty Member Posts: 3
    Just picked it up yesterday. It's a 4.7 V8 automatic SLT Quad Cab 4x4 1500 short box. Patriot blue pearl coat with the silver two-tone. Here's the options:

-Premium cloth 40/20/40 bench
    -Quad cab value group (with the combo cassette/CD, 7 speaker Infinity speaker system, wheel-mounted radio controls and leather steering wheel)
    -Two tone paint
    -Folding flat rear storage
    -Sliding rear window
    -Bodyside moldings
    -Fog lamps
    -P265/70R17 OWL all season tires with a 3.92:1 ratio
    -underrail bed liner
    -black molded side steps

MSRP on this according to Edmunds was $34230 and invoice at $30237. Got it for $30,100. Add to that $2500 cash incentive, $500 holiday incentive and $750 loyalty incentive (I have a Jeep Liberty already), that brings it down to $26350.

LEOMIS: The dealer told me that the $500 added rebate would be gone as of 1/1/2004 (inclusive). Of course he said the standard "but who knows what Chrysler will tell us on 1/2/2004". I also think that the $750 loyalty incentive is going away. I was pretty surprised when I found out about that being offered at all, because when I called around about 2 weeks ago there was no mention of it.

I just walked onto the lot on Monday afternoon and did a test drive. Brought my wife back yesterday and had the mayor at my house last night. I've never had a truck before and I felt like a monster (in a good way hehe) when I drove around today. I'm stoked!

Mike
  • leomisleomis Member Posts: 2
    Thanks mysticliberty!

I actually picked mine up on 12/26/03. Laramie Reg cab, w/ Hemi and 20" Chrome Wheels, Black Clear Coat.

This thing has it all:
    -Heated Seats
    -Sport App Package
    -Tow Package
    etc...!!!

I love the this truck...the power!!!
    It is a monster!

I got it $500 below invoice, plus got $3000 rebates (did not get the loyalty $750, didn't own a car). Both Edmunds and CarsDirect had this car a few hundred over invoice.

Leo
  • mhynsonmhynson Member Posts: 3
    Spent the last 6 to 8 months trying to make a deal for a Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4 Short Bed. Talked to many, many salesman and never would get a fair price. In the past when buying vehicles they seemed to be more willing to deal, but not this time. About 2 weeks ago I found a website called carsdirect.com, went to it, built the truck like I wanted and within 24 hours had several dealers emailing and calling trying to get my business. MSRP for the truck I built was $37,800. About four dealers offered $33,800 on the first go around. The price did not include rebates cause I informed them I might take their 2.9 finance option which negated any rebate they offered. I told all that called and made an offer to take what they could off their first price and the low bidder was getting my business. One of the dealers came down to $33,400 and got my business. Then I decided to take Chrysler 4year %0 finance option with $2,000 rebate, $750 conquest rebate, and $500 Farm Bureau rebate. $33,400 - $3,250 rebate = $30,150 and this price did include title, taxes, destination, process, and the kitchen sink. $30,150 out the door!!! Signed last night and truck will be ordered tomorrow. Here is the options:

Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4 Short Bed
    5.7 Hemi, Quad Cab Value Group, 26G package, 5 spd auto,Bright Wight ClearCoat, Silver Two Tone, Premium Cloth with Power Driver Side Seat,Sliding Rear Window, Power Adjustable Pedals, 20 inch wheels, Body Side Molding, Trailer Tow Group, Light Group, T/Case Elec. Shift on Fly Part Time, Fog Lamps, Folding Flat Load Floor, 4 wheel anti lock brakes, Box Bedliner, Protection Group, 3.92 axle, Anti-spin differential, Side air bags supplemental, Running Boards.

Hope this helps somebody. If you cant get a salesman to come off his price use the internet to help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Reporter Brett Clanton is looking to interview a few people who have bought or are planning to buy a Chrysler or Dodge vehicle because of the Hemi. Please call him at 313-222-2612 or e-mail him at bclanton@detnews.com by Wednesday, January 28. Please feel free to contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com with any questions.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• knowbusinessknowbusiness Member Posts: 2
    I bought one in Alpharetta, GA with the 24g package and paid $21,991. The MSRP, with a bedliner was $29,205. Not a bad deal at all.
  • minnesota3minnesota3 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to buy a 2004 1500 Ram Quad Cab SLT 4x4. I want a tow package, Hemi, limited slip and the 20" wheels. The best they can do is 28,500. Does anyone know if that is the best they can do. I was hoping more about 26500. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Any comments on the limited slip??? Why someone got it or chose not to???
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    You should be able to buy a 2004 off the dealers lot for close to $7500 or more off of the MSRP. When I bought my 2003 Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab the MSRP was just under $31,700. I negotiated it down to $22,300. I had a coupon I got in the mail for $1000 off of a Ram from Dodge and at that time there was a $750 military rebate.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Install the rear end yourself ? You didn't mention that your garage had partial drivetrains in amongst the various and sundry essentials.
    What else is in there that your not disclosing?
  • minnesota3minnesota3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses!

Does anyone know a free site to see what the dealers are getting for incentives. I can't remember what they call it, but they get a kickback and I haven't been able to find that information.

Thanks!!
  • RickRRickR Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for same truck. How did you get down to $21,991? Did you qualify for all rebates?
  • alz5alz5 Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a 3500 quad cab HO diesel on Dec. 12 and it still hasn't left the factory yet. Original estimated shipping date was Jan 9, 2004. The factory said it has been built but not shipped. The dealer said it looks like they are holding them for some reason. They can't even get their regular shipments of diesels. Does anyone know the reason for this?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Do you know what factory it was assembled at?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • alz5alz5 Member Posts: 4
    Dusty,
    It was manufactured in Mexico.
  • steven2steven2 Member Posts: 37
    I am looking into replacing my Tacoma with a ful size crew cab pickup. I have already crossed the Silverado off my list. I am leaning towards the new F-150 or Tundra. Convince me why to choose the Ram. Also, what major problems has anybody had with the new Ram? Chrysler's arent too great with reliability.

Thanks, steve
  • morganvmorganv Member Posts: 49
    We have 2 RAMs, both are 2003. both have the big hemi engine and we tow horses. we havent had a lick of problems with either one. One has 27000 and the other has 18000 miles. Neither one has ever been back to the dealer, for any service, and these trucks are built solid. no squeaks or rattles. weve had fords in the past and none of them were ever as good as these 2 rams. we know others that have Dodge's and they aren't having any problems either.

Morgan
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    I also love my Ram, and have had no significant problems with it, and only one lesser problem (leaks in the roof clearance lamps). Mine's a Cummins diesel, but I'd guess you to be in the market for a Hemi gasser (otherwise you'd be looking at the F250 or 350). The Hemi has a very good reputation for power and reliability so far - though it does suck gas in great quantities. Meantime, you have to go test drive the Dodge, the Ford and the Toyota and make up your own mind. There's not as many of us Dodge fanatics as there are Ford or Chevy, but we tend to be pretty solid in our love for these trucks.
  • unclemiltiunclemilti Member Posts: 4
    04 Ram 1500, QC, Hemi, loaded..39870.00 sticker, got 9100.00 off and a special leasing rate to boot.

700 miles on truck, and I love the "big" feeling..people definitely see ya comin.

So far, the negatives are..crappy orange peel paint (every Ram 1500 I've seen has it), the goofy little 2nd muffler near the rear axle(really took the bite out of the exhaust note from the 03's), gas mileage could be better (hope it gets better as the engine breaks in) and the chrome rims are really just chromed plastic covers that are glued on over the regular polished wheels. Pretty tacky.

Positives are the 20" rims, the handling is superb for such a large truck, fit and finish in general are very good, and I couldn't beat the price. Theres alot of truck there for 30 grand.
    A friend of mine drove over yesterday to show me his brand new '04 RAM. The one thing I noticed was that the paint looked show room (red). It was flawless and everyone I've seen so far has looked the same way.

I have not looked closely at any RAM with the chrome wheels, but I suspect they are just polycoated over the metal. I could be wrong here, but that's the way most wheels are made nowadays. It would seem that to make a plastic insert to go over a steel wheel would be less cost effective than actual chrome. But, who knows.

Yes, it appears that Dodge reacted to a Consumer Reports comment about exhaust noise and now they have added a second resonator. They did the same with the '04 Dakota. Too bad.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • steedoflondonsteedoflondon Member Posts: 8
    Dear All,

I have a dilemma which I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm looking to buy my next vehicle, and I basically have come down to the following two:

1) Dodge Ram 2500 Lariat Diesel+Leather 4 by 2 Short Wheelbase pick-up (Approx $32k)
    2) Honda Odyssey EX Minivan (Approx $25k)

This is going to be primarily my vehicle, although my wife might drive it when we go on long trips. I'm looking for something that will carry my future family (due soon), as well as carry home improvement goodies, and be my general daily driver. I drive about 15,000 miles a year.

I like the Ram because of its power, and I want a diesel, because its more economical than a gas truck. If I wanted a gas truck, then I'd probably not opt for a Dodge (sorry if that sounds bad).

I like the Odyssey, its a great vehicle, but I just don't see myself driving a minivan, or for that matter a truck, but I liked the drive the 2500 offered over the minivan.

So, now I need your help and advice. What would you recommend for someone who is going to have a family soon. Is the 2500 - or a pick- up for that matter - a good family vehicle. How reliable is the 2500 diesel? What other trucks have you had experience with? What should I be looking at paying (Bay Area, CA) ?

Any comments most welcome.

Thanks,

J.
    Dang, that sounds just like the current Harley commercial - "I woulda got a Harley, but I got a great deal on a dinette set."
    Actually, I've got a 2500 Cummins Ram for about the same uses you have - daily driver, about 15,000 miles a year, hauling home improvement stuff and the occasional long trip. This summer that truck will carry my family and I from VA to Wyoming and back, and I expect it to be a very comfortable ride. My truck has been a very good family vehicle - though with the 6-speed my wife has not yet taken it out on the road - I drive everyplace. It is bigger (read: harder to park) than a minivan (I used to own a Dodge Caravan), but you just can't do a Tim Allen grunt in a minivan. You definitely want the Quad Cab (medium wheelbase - or long if you get the long bed) to haul family around in. Basically, my attitude is, you only go around once - you might as well enjoy life while you're here. The minivan might meet all your needs, and it might be more affordable. But the Ram will feed your soul - if you can afford it and you don't mind parking it (or seeking out diesel fuel), it's a wonderful ride.
    LOL Roman - you are correct! Also, Lariat is indeed a Ford package but folks get it confused with Laramie all the time. Strange that both Chevy and Dodge named pickup luxo packages (Cheyenne for Chevy) for small Wyoming cities along I80 - I'm waiting for Ford to join the party with the F150 Rawlins. If you've never lived in or been to Wyoming, just accept that a joke happened here and move along.
    A four-door RAM will most certainly have more utility. Of course, it will cost more to purchase, especially in diesel form.

Although I like and own a truck I'm not sure any full-size pick-up is going to be as comfortable for everyone riding in it as a mini-van. Especially a Town & Country. The Honda seats, according to my aging spine, have got to be the worst of any vehicle currently marketed, with maybe the exception of a Cavalier. On the positive side, they are much better than any farm tractor made before 1970.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • palmramloverpalmramlover Member Posts: 2
    I think one thing to remember about getting a diesel period over getting a minivan is that the diesel will last 3 times what the minivan will and for the size of truck compared to Ford and Chevy get great mileage.
  • steedoflondonsteedoflondon Member Posts: 8
    I read in the 26th April issue of Business Week that Dodge are planning to launch a Diesel Hybrid pickup by the end of the year.

I called Dodge to see if I could get more information, but they haven't heard of anything. Has anybody else heard of anything?

Oh, and many thanks to those who posted a response to my question on minivan versus truck. I'm still mulling the decision over.
  • fuzzy6978fuzzy6978 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a low mileage or demo 2003 or 2004 Dodge 2500 with the diesel engine and tow package and cruise and air and not much else.
  • palmramloverpalmramlover Member Posts: 2
    Good luck looking for a used diesel. They're very rare because they're so popular and owners don't want to give them up. I had an experience once that a guy was trading one in at a Dodge dealer and I was given first opportunity to be on a list to buy it used. It was in very poor shape interior-wise. Anyway, they're just very rare on used lots.

Good luck!
    They can be found, but you'll pay good money for them. There's a reason that big Cummins is a $5000 premium new. Also, I don't think many dealers have them for demo vehicles - they make more $ just selling them. I ordered my '03 Cummins Ram as soon as they were available - the dealership got two before mine came in - one for inventory that was gone in a few days, and one other order.
    .........are rare around here, unless they're eight or ten years old and have many miles. Even then there are very few on the used market.

I have never seen a used Dodge diesel for sale here on a dealer's lot. Fifteen or so years ago there were a number of GM light duties on the used market. In recent times the only one I've seen was a Ford.

Used diesels are hard to find and nice one's even harder.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Whats up all?

Im a long time edmunds TH member but rarely read the Pickups threads, so I would really appreciate any help you might offer. My cousin is interested in buying the above, a 2003 4.7L 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with 24,000 miles. The asking price is $21,000. I am not sure about features or model specifics, but from what I've read, it sounds like your typical SLT, nothing fancy.

For anyone who has the time, what are the problem areas that should be paid particular attention to with this truck?

It is being sold by a private owner who is looking for something smaller and less consumptive of fuel. If this car carried Chryslers extended powertrain warranty as a new vehicle, does that transfer to subsequent owners?

I know the Dakota is due for a redesign... but since my cousin really only requires a 6ft bed and "better than jump seats", would a discounted but reasonably priced new Dakota be a better choice?

Thanks very much.

~alpha
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    First, 4.7 is a Dog in the Quad Cab and without much fuel savings over a bigger engine from what I hear, although Im sure other Ram owners on here could chime in with more detail.

And the Dak Quad has better than a jump seat, but only a 5'3" bed. I had to put an aluminum extender on mine to get it to just under 7 foot. My Dakota is averaging about 14 mpg right now, maybe 1-2 mpg better than the hemi. Only braking point for me was purchase price, not fuel economy. The 3-4K difference was just more than I wanted to spend.
  • tall1tall1 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an '04 regular cab SLT hemi with the following options: sport pckg, tow pckg, power seat, chrome 20" wheels, keyless entry, mopar bedliner, soft tonneau cover, chrome steps, wood accent on dashboard, Suggested retail price was $29100, invoice minus total of $3800 in rebates brings the price down to $23200, my price was $20300. I'm just wondering how the dealer can make any profit by selling so cheap. They gave me the Kelly Blue Book "excellent condition" trade in value too. The truck has 2200 miles and was the sales managers demo. I had it checked; no paint work, no accidents, perfect condition. I purchased it on the last day of month, 1 hour before closing, it was raining, showroom traffic was slow, maybe those factors came in to play?
    Well, that's about the best price I can remember on a RAM. Of course, the dealership took a write-off I'm sure on the miles since it was for the company. But still, even with a trade I think you did extremely well.

I purchased my '03 Dakota Club Cab Sport in October of 2003. With a list price of $23,700 I paid 17,400 cash (no trade), and I thought I did quite well.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    You almost gave me a heart attack there, as at first I didn't notice it was a reg cab and probably 4x2. For a minute there I was thinking you paid 4 grand less for a 4x4 Quad Ram than I did for my 4x4 Quad Dakota.

Anyway my guess might be your dealer knows where he can get top dollar for your trade and more than make up for whatever hit he might have taken on the Ram.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    My Ram listed for just under $31,900. My purchase price was $22,300 after rebates and discounts before figuring in my trade because I was undecided if I wanted to trade or sell it myself. When I looked at others they were discounting $8 to $10K off window depending on how loaded the Ram was with options and what model (ST, SLT or Laramie (SLT+)). My Ram is a 2003 SLT 2wd, 5.7 auto, 20" wheels, 3.92 posi, upgraded interior with fold flat floor, 2 tone paint, tow package, 4 wheel anti-lock, AM/FM CD Cassette with rear wireless headsets and remote control. Plus a few other small options. Far less than a comparable Chevy or Ford at the time I bought it in June of 2003.
  • truckladytrucklady Member Posts: 3
    I have a dealer quote for $34480 for a special ordered: 2004 RAM 2500 SLT Quad Cab 4x2 w/ Cummings HO 5.9L Engine & 4-speed automatic trany. I have some options, all but 1 are minor. This price also includes this mysterious DAA & PPA/EB-PF charges. What do you think??
    What is the sticker price?

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    trucklady, Just learning some of these terms myself. I can't help with answer, but glad you found the message board. There are some knowledgeable people that should be able to answer your question.