Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
...is this acceptable? The talk doesn't have to be about Subaru, unless you want it to be!

KarenS
Host
Owners Clubs
Tagged:

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think the reason we don't see gas caps behind the license plate any more, is due to safety issues; as in being rear-ended...

I don't think having a gas filler on both sides of the car is dumb. In fact, I think it's smart.

Bob
    Now I have to think of something to discuss...

Bob
    I just posted this over in "Future Models," but I guess it could go here too...

rsholland "Subaru Crew - Future Models II" Mar 25, 2002 9:36am

And as a follow-up to this post, since Oldsmobile is disappearing, maybe GM should take the 4.0L V8 from the Aurora, and stick it in the Park Avenue, and then add a fourth porthole; then give the other six-cylinder Buicks three portholes? That way they'd at least be (somewhat) consistent with older Buick heritage.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    One porthole per cylinder?

The Solistice had a porthole trailing the shape of the Pontiac logo. A small but clever detail I liked from the show car. Range Rovers will have them..Are they making a come back?

-juice
    one porthole per cylinder. Now all older Buicks, or at least the ones I grew up with, were all 8-cylinder cars. However, 4-portholes was always reserved for the premium Roadmaster. I don't think we'll ever see "all" 8-cylinder Buicks again, but now that the Aurora is going, I could easily see that engine going in the premium Buick model, which is the Park Avenue.

Bob
    Now that I think of it, doesn't the Range Rover has 4 vents per side, along with a V8?

That Aurora engine was expensive to produce, so GM may drop it. It's a baby Northstar, basically.

Then again, doesn't the IRL require a production version of the V8 engine to be available to the public? I'm not sure. Infiniti has the V8 in their Q.

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    one double espresso please...

found this on Autart's 1/43rd scale website....scroll down almost all the way...the subie models...

http://www3.autoartmodels.com/pages/oldpage/street_43.htm

Ah got to gets me one of dem wagons!

shark gills...

The Aurora engine is probably expensive, like any DOHC V8 unit. Since the Park Avenue is marketed as a "premium" car, it makes sense. It's positioned just under a Caddy DeVille.

Bob
    For some reason GM is addicted to that big 3.8l engine. I guess they have it figured out and it's cheap to just keep making it.

It is nice and torquey, but Buick will have older buyers as long as GM doesn't offer something in that price range comparable to the G35 (3.5l, 260 normally aspirated horses).

-juice
    I've never cared for models that small. I've never found the detailing to be very good. It's just too small to get it right. Although, these models look pretty good for 1:43. I much prefer a larger 1:18 scale model.

BTW, I saw in London in Sloane Square, a few years ago, a gorgeous British Racing Green Jaguar XK SS, like the model displayed.

Bob
    AAK! Still no Forester models. I've seen countless catalogs and not one single Forester model! Yet it's the 2nd best seller in the lineup, what gives?

-juice
    Looks like I've found a home for my often meandering, off-topic discussions...

Thanks Karen. :)

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I need to take a 5-speed for a test drive though.

-mike
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    is listed as coming out soon. I want one. Also hoping for a Forester model.

John
    model range has the largest number of cars, including Legacy wagons! There are a few Imprezas also in the 1:18 scale series. AutoArt makes beautiful stuff.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    John, was the 1/18th listed somewhere?
    Bob: do you have today's AN yet? Lutz is talking about ditching the cladding on all Pontiacs.

Can you believe the stuff on the Avalanche costs $750?! They will make it optional, apparently. Though it's designed that way, so they'll have to change the sheetmetal to get rid of all the cladding around the wheel wells.

Also, the Cayenne is supposed to cost about $67 grand. They're only forecasting 12,500 sales per year, not a hard to achieve number.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Yeah, I heard about this latest move of Lutz and I cheered a little bit.

Maybe it'll trickle down and the Baja will loose its cladding? ;-D

-Colin
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    the real name of those portholes? I'm pretty sure it was something monstrously dorky like "aerodynamic ventiports." The sort of name you pick after a 4-martini lunch.

All this retro stuff tickles me. Now if we can bring back the Ladybird hood ornament for Caddies that doubled as the hood latch. To open the hood you had to give this lovely winged lady one heckuva mean karate chop to her chin.
    Story, remember the hidden gas cap on 1950s Caddy? They were under the left taillight! You had to push the little round reflector (button) at the base of the taillight to release it, then flip the taillight up to find the gas cap!

Also, a lot of 50s cars used to hide the gas cap behind the rear license plate. The license was on a spring-loaded mount.

Bob
    I saw only the headlines regarding Lutz and cladding. The full story is only available to e-subscribers, which I'm not. :(

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Man, that dude is heading down a one way path to revolution. And when it comes, the new guys are gonna have all those shiny F-15s and AWACS to play with........
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I actually like the hidden gas cap idea, even with the locking gas caps that are becoming the norm on modern cars (but not - ahem - on my Forester). I also liked having the filler in the rear center of the car, as on my first car ('66 Mustang) and my hobby car ('63 Lark). Safety aspects notwithstanding, it allows the driver to pull up to either side of the pump.

Ed
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    Good point Ed. I always thought the ones behind the license plate was neat!

Jim J.
    Whenever you pull in to a busy gas station, the only available gas pump is on the wrong side of the car, in terms of the gas cap location...

I often wondered why there isn't a gas filler/cap on both sides of the car? Remember the old Jag-u-ar sedans? They had two gas tanks, with a filler on each rear fender. My father-in-law had one. He hated it, as it had Lucas electrics controlling the tanks. Need I say more...

Bob
    They are on the 3rd of 4th page of the 1/18 scale Performance series. Quite an impressive roster. Try entering:

http://www3.autoartmodels.com/pages/oldpage/perfor3_1.htm

John

I'd love to be able to see those in person. I wonder if they'll have a stand at the NY Auto Show, up in top floor "Freak Show" area?

Bob
    There were a few vendors upstairs who had a good selection of models. Wall-to-wall & hip-deep with people. "Freak Show" area covers it...

John

P.S. I'm planning on going Saturday April 6
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    So, does this mean no more OT threads in the Meet the Members topic?

Ken
    that will be the case. If they do occur, just direct them over here.

Bob
    That is where I get my Guinea Badges for my cars, can never find them anywhere else!

-mike
    1. Okay, so what goes into "Meet the Members" now?

2. paisan: please define "Guinea Badge."

Ed
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    I used to drive a Caddie like that Bob. It gave me a smug sense of satisfaction when the gas pump jockey had to come knock on the window because he didn't know where to put the gas. Not a problem I've had lately!
    If you look on the back of my trooper it's the small Flag of Italy reflective badge that I have on the back. :)

-mike
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....I'm just here to fill the creamers and start a fresh pot of coffee.

Krispy Kreme, anyone?

lark6: Meet the Members will be the spot for new people to introduce themselves and/or get directions to discussions to post their questions. Also, the place for general Subaru talk.

Don't be surprised to see our roving host, Kirstie, checking the counter here for the next few days. I'll be out of town till next Tuesday.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    MMM I could go for some KREM and KO right now :)

-mike
    You bet, man. A Southern icon moves North and conquers. Many a long study night at UGa and Emory fueled by KKs. Such anticipation driving by the big store on East Ponce de Leon waiting for the "HOT DOUGHNUTS NOW" neon sign to start flashing. They need to get the store in Penn Station back open, at least before my next trip into NYC.

paisan: That's what I thought a "Guinea Badge" was but I didn't want to make any assumptions nor ethnic slurs. I live in a largely Italian neighborhood and see a lot of those. I use the term "guinea" to describe guinea fowl, the small, chicken-like birds that my grandparents had on their farm for eggs and meat.

Ed
    I figure the Baja has about $320 worth of cladding on it. Bag it and give us a 5th cog on the auto tranny.

My dad's Buick had the gas cap behind the license plate. I agree this is better - get gas on either side, no waiting in lines.

Bob: BOTH sides? Now that is just plain dumb.

Karen: I love KK donuts, but no thanks, gotta lower my cholesterol. Doc has me on a diet!

-juice
    In just it's first day, this thread has already made Edmunds top 10 discussions!

Bob
    See how much we needed this topic?

Thanks, Edmunds.

-juice
    It's smart if they both fill up the same gas tank. It's dumb if they fill two separate gas tanks (which is what your post said). Imagine having to gas up twice to fill both tanks.

-juice
    I agree. I misunderstood your post. Sorry...

Bob
    My Forester has it on the driver's side, and the position means you pretty much have to find a certain side free at the gas station.

My Miata is easier - the gas opening is on top of the rear driver side fender. This way I can reach it even from the other side, easily.

I don't see how they could fix that with a wagon bodystyle, though.

-juice
    is to have two gas fillers, one on each side.

I really don't see why auto manufacturers haven't offered this before. It can't be "that" expensive to do. It certainly would make life at the gas pump just a bit easier.

Bob
    Then again, we have enough sources for CELs, and this would maybe double the number of annoying dealer visits for little vacuum leaks. Maybe we should rethink that.

-juice
    I think the CEL issue is more a matter of "how" people fill their tanks, not how tank filler there are. Although I do see your point; it just doubles the possibility for those so inclined not to tighten the gas cap properly.

Bob
    And the number of sources to trace a possible problem to.

Maybe if it were farther back, close to the corner of the car, you could get the gas hose around to reach it.

I like simple solutions. Something cheap and easy that makes life better.

-juice
    The closer to the rear bumper, a gas filler is, the more it becomes a fire hazard in a rear end collision.

I think the CEL/gas cap problem could be easily rectified if there would be just a "reset button" that only involves the gas cap, that the driver could hit. That way you wouldn't have to visit the dealer.

Bob
    Yeah, but to get the government bureaucrats to allow that would take a miracle.

Just read this in AN: the new Navigator's prices are up $3,245-$3,445. Pretty bold in this economy, but the luxury sport ute class is still growing.

-juice