Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• Options
    postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    I posted this link on another thread, but now that there is a thread specifically for EDs, I'm reposting as I think people here will be interested:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1014980&uid=635226&members=1

• Options
    It may be presumptuous of me to post links to other's ED writeups, but I know that when I was planning/waiting for my own ED I couldn't get enough of these:

Gary Ray's ED website:

http://www.bariaur.com/e39/EDsavings.html

platypus' excellent write up:

platypus "BMW 3-Series" May 8, 2001 11:22am

• Options
    Here's a link to the website that derprofi put together to document his ED:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/derprofi/bmw/

• Options
    If anyone is interested in taking the BMW factory tour, the number to call to reserve a spot is 1-866-868-7269.
  • Options
    butmywifebutmywife Member Posts: 81
    Here are a few sites for cheaper tickets to Europe. We went with Scandanavian and loved it ($450 rt out of Seattle).

http://cms.lufthansa.com/us

/fly/en/spc/

http://www.thedailyauction.com

https://ibp2.scandinavian.net/

You'll love ED!

ButMyWife

• Options
    ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    Just wanted to reiterate the benefits to dealing with Passport BMW (Marlow Heights, MD) for ED, which you may have read on this and other forums. Thanks to all who posted about them.

Ask for Joern Esser (pronounced "yorn"), who is willing to deal. I just ordered a 2003 330i nicely equipped for 1,200 over ED invoice. This was a hassle-free experience.

I am not affiliated with Passport in any way...just a happy customer.
  • Options
    From time-to-time the question has come up whether an ED car comes out of the dealer's allotment. If it doesn't, of course, then it should be easier to cut a good deal on an ED. Some salesmen were saying (at the beginning of 2002) that the policy had changed and that ED cars were now coming out of the dealer's allotment where they hadn't before. Well, this question was posted over on bimmerfest yesterday and someone answered it who seemed pretty knowledgeable. He said that M cars do come out of the allotment but the others don't. So bear that in mind when you are negotiating...
  • Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    The dealer who sold me my ED 330i in March confirmed this as well.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The amount of misinformation (or outright lies) from car sales people is astounding. In negotiations I don't get into whether cars come from allotments, whether advertising fees are levied, or what appropriate margins are. Instead, just find out what a "good dea" is (it appears to be aroudn $1200-$1500 over base ED invoice) and work a few dealers to get it. They don't have to make the deal if they don't want to and I don't have to buy. I also don't worry too much if I got the absolutely best deal - if the dealership deals straight, treat me well, and I'm paying around the market rate, then I'm happy. They've got to make a living too.

- Mark
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I'm considering purchasing a 2003 330 convertible in the next few months. I reviewed the BMW website as well as all the posts here, but I think I'm missing something on how ED pricing works. Can anyone answer the following questions?
    1. What is ED invoice price and where to I find it?
    2. Are ED prices negotiable just like regular MSRP?
    3. Can I order the car from one dealer and have it delivered to another? If so, is there an extra fee?
    4. If you recently used ED for a 330CIC, what did you pay?

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Vinny,

hear are partial answers:

1. What is ED invoice price and where to I find it? check out <www.eurobuyers.com> and click on the .pdf links for the 2003 330's.

2. Are ED prices negotiable just like regular MSRP? many-but not all-dealers negotiate on ED. 1,200-1,500 over ED invoice (that's invoice on base as well as invoice on options) is a good deal for the non-convertibles. Convertibles appear to be difficult to negotiate, from what everyone has been saying on the forums.

For negotiating a good price, I recommend the "Rizzo Method," which you can find at this link

http://e46fanatics.com/faq/rizzo.html

In fact, the link http://e46fanatics.com/faq/

is a great FAQ page for E46 BMW's.

3. Can I order the car from one dealer and have it delivered to another? If so, is there an extra fee? I heard that this is possible, but cannot say for certain. Don't know about a fee.

4. If you recently used ED for a 330CIC, what did you pay?

• Options
    loubctloubct Member Posts: 39
    Vinny, I too am purchasing 2003 330CIC Euro Delivery.

Euro MSRP $39,895
    Euro Invoice $36,305

This is assuming no add-ons at this time. I have found a dealer out of state that has agreed via e-mail that he will negotiate ER Invoice plus $1500 dealer profit. I assue that is a good deal for a convertible. I have appoached dealers in my home state of CT and they will not budge off Euro MSRP. I too, need input on purchasing out of state and have questions on cost to transport to home state and questions on making picking it up out of state and registration.

I plan on May 2003 pick up in Munich if all goes well.
    Silver Titanium
    Black Interior
    Heated Seats
    Bi-Xenon
    Sport Package
    Hard Top ???
  • Options
    I had to order in Ohio for a Chicago delivery. The dealer arranged for a flat-bed hauler to transport my car for $525 for about 350 miles.

Ask your dealer if anyone near your location "owes him a favor". I found out after the fact that one near me had and would have taken delivery. I would have had to wait another 2 weeks though :<
  • Options
    Because ED cars don't come out of a dealer's allotment, doing an ED deal is sort of like found money for a dealership. Therefore, in theory, you should be able to cut a better deal than non-ED. I did a $1200 over invoice deal on my ED at a time when non-EDs were not going for anywhere near that low.

Some dealerships seem more ED-friendly than others. If you look up a few posts, you'll see one such mentioned in the N.Y. area -- I think it was something like Park BMW or Park Avenue BMW.

The one person I know who worked a deal with one dealership and then had the car shipped to another one paid $250 for that service.
  • Options
    dlc95035dlc95035 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

I have an interesting situation with a 2002 325i BMW buy-back: I would like to move up to a 330i & after looking at the difference between what I paid the dealer originally & the ED invoice pricing, it really was only the difference of about $700 = destination & handling fees which I figured BMW should be generous enough to swallow for all the aggrivation I went through.
    Well... BMW NA said no deal = it would cost $7-8k to upgrade which is the MSRP delta & that I could just take my money elsewhere. (of course they said it much nicer than that...)
    It seems to me I should have much more leverage & they are just playing hardball & we're going to enter some long negotiation stage.

My question is: Should my original dealer have more incentive to do an ED deal with me since they've already made profit on the 1st car? Or should I just take my money to another dealer who is willing to deal?
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you're asking but:

1. While dealers occasionally cut a better deal for a regular customer, in general, the fact you paid more/less profit on a car a year ago will have virtually no bearing on the deal they'll make today.

2. Anytime you flip cars in a short period of time, you're going to get hosed. Everything else being equal, you'll get wholesale for the old car (which for a year old car will probably be $5K-$7K less then you paid), and whatever you can negotiate on the new car, which if ED will be around $1500 over ED invoice if you're fine a dealer willing to do a skinny deal.

All-in-all, I'd be surprised if you could turn this deal without putting at least $10K or more into it.

- Mark
  • Options
    dlc95035dlc95035 Member Posts: 7
    BMW NA is going to buy-back the car because it's a lemon.
    I just picked up the car (not ED) at the end of July & drove it for less than 1 month (it had less than 1150 miles on it) when it 1st started having problems - I thought I'd have a lot more leverage than what I'm currently seeing
  • Options
    One of the most beneficial things I did before my ED was to go to this site:

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/regeln.htm

and print out a copy of all the German Driving Laws and their incredibly complex signage. This resulted in about a 1/2 inch thick document! Then, once on the road over there my wife sat with the document in her lap and looked up every sign as we passed it until we were "experts". Highly recommended.

• Options
    padnotpadnot Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in buying either a 2003 325i or a 330i through the ED program. Does anyone know of a good dealer in the Long Beach, CA or surrounding areas that would offer a good deal with the ED program? Any response will be appreciated. Thanks too all the people who have shared their ED experiences.
  • Options
    gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    I picked up my 330 CIC in Munich on June 6th. I wanted an alarm system on my vehicle while driving in Europe. Therefore, I had the factory team order the USA alarm kit/hardware from I think BMWNA and install/program the unit in Munich prior to delivery. The system included Homelink capability and successfully cleared customs in Long Beach prior to dealer delivery in California.
    Email me at CascadeTelcom@msn.com if you want additional alarm or pricing information.
  • Options
    Has anyone had any experience with BMW European Delivery.com ? Also does it take longer to order covertible European Delivery than the usual 3 months.
  • Options
    seivwrigseivwrig Member Posts: 388
    I think the issue is when is the production on the 325 CiC and 330 CiC? If they are in production at the time you make your order, it should not be a problem unless an entire run is spoken for. Realise, ED does not come out of dealer allocation. My next question would be, if you pickup in Germany where do you plan to drive your car? If you are going to some parts of Italy or Eastern Europe, no BMW is safe.
  • Options
    gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    When we picked up our 330 in June we were told that all vehicles that were dropped off in Italy would be driven back to Munich to be shipped to the USA. Italy was the only country subject to those rules.
  • Options
    sharrissharris Member Posts: 32
    I'm leaving in less than three weeks for ED and just got my ED package from BMW. Found out that I need to purchase NAV CDs for Germany and elsewhere (I'd assumed a NAV CD for Germany would be included; guess not). Anyway, anyone out there who has done ED recently and is willing to part with--or sell at a discount--their NAV CD for Germany? I'll only have the car for a short time there, otherwise I wouldn't mind spending the $100 so much. Thanks.
  • Options
    I only have a UK CD. I does have the maps for all major highways and large city centers of Europe but that is it. If you let me know where you will traveling in Germany, I can tell you if the disc has the information. You can purchase a disc from NavTech for about $118.20 this includes S & H & tax.
  • Options
    padnotpadnot Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone who has done the ED program before know if there are any hidden fees associated with the program besides the total price you pay the dealer for the car in the states? For example, any taxes in Germany, custom duties, etc.
  • Options
    No hidden fees whatsoever.

The only fees that you probably need to be aware of are (i) if you travel to certain countries (Austria is one, Germany is not), you need to purchase a temporary tourist sticker for $10ish; (ii) insurance deductibles - read the documentation carefully. Theft deductibles are high (I think $3,000) and there are exclusions if you can't account for all of your keys when filing a claim. I believe that this is typical of German insurance and not BMW trying to pull a "fast one".

Everything else was covered in the price paid to BMW - including the free lunch at the delivery center (a pleasant surprise).
  • Options
    buffagmbuffagm Member Posts: 21
    Guys,
    I changed my order to ED at the last minute, I have Dec. 6th as the date for pickup in Munich and have a bunch of questions to ask. 1. Whats the best and most affordable way to travel from London to Munich and back? 2. How far is the Munich drop off point from the pickup station? 3. Whats the weather like there in December? 4. Is it possible to get someone from the factory drop off the car for you? Thanks!
  • Options
    jcivitellojcivitello Member Posts: 15
    I am doing ED end of Nov. and need to get the CD as well...I propose this...buy the CD when you are there, and i will split the cost with you, as long as you send it to me before I leave??? Does that sound okay? let me know if you are interested and then we can work it our offline.
    Thanks
    Civ
  • Options
    1) According to Travelocity, a one-way from London to Munich costs about $70 on Lufthansa. A round-trip is about $120.

2) The pick-up to drop-off point is about a 20/30 minute drive. The airport is about a 25 minute taxi ride from Harms (drop-off point).

3) Can't speak to the weather. I was there on 1/4 and it was freezing (15-25 degrees farenheit).

4) You have to be the person picking up the car. No exceptions.
  • Options
    1) go with one of the budget airlines like Go or Ryanair. If this is not possible British Airways has a subsidiary that flies from Munich to London Gatwick. You should be able to fly from Munich to London Stansted cheaply and catch the train into London.

2) hgeyer answered this very well

3)What difference does it make? Do you plan on driving somewhere or will you drop off. The Europeans keep the roads pretty well during the winter. If you feel adventurous, you could pick up your Bimmer, drive to Rotterdam or Calais (check ferry schedules) with stops in Stuttgart, Cologne, Brussels, Amsterdam or if heading to Calais - stop in Stuttgart, Metz and Paris. Prices on the ferry are quite good but the weather will determine if you cross or not. If time is off the essences, place your car on the train and go through the Chunnel (does cost more).

4)I will repeat hgeyer. Absolutely no one can pick up or drop off your car. You have to show up with passport in hand.
  • Options
    thanks for your reply,
    I'd appreciate if you could answer the following as well:
    How can I find out the rates of London-Munich by train?
    What I meant by (4) was if it was possible to get someone to drop the car off FOR you, after you pick it up. See, my father will be picking up the car, it will be under his name(insurance reasons), and as he will be in Europe anyway, I figured I'd save a little and pay for his trip all in one shot. He's not too keen on driving a manual car which he is not familiar with so I'd like to know if there is a service at the factory where they drop the car off for you. Thanks again for your reply.
  • Options
    while I'm at it,

How did you all like ED? It mustve been tough to follow the break in procedures on the roads there. How long between ED drop off and pick up here. Were the cars in good condition when you picked it up here? From what I hear the customs clearance for ED cars is slightly different. As you can see, I'm full of questions, got at least 3 more months before it gets here. Time to read the CD article again for the 97th time.
  • Options
    thanks for your reply,
    I'd appreciate if you could answer the following as well:
    How can I find out the rates of London-Munich by train?
    What I meant by (4) was if it was possible to get someone to drop the car off FOR you, after you pick it up. See, my father will be picking up the car, it will be under his name(insurance reasons), and as he will be in Europe anyway, I figured I'd save a little and pay for his trip all in one shot. He's not too keen on driving a manual car which he is not familiar with so I'd like to know if there is a service at the factory where they drop the car off for you. Thanks again for your reply.
  • Options
    The train from Munich to London would be too high. I would not even consider this route. When I get home, I'll check what airlines fly to Munich from the following airports: Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted ( I don't think there are flights from London Luton to Munich). Train would only be considered if driving to Dieppe or Calais, then the passenger and car can ride to the other side of the channel. Contact Eurail for train rates.

As far as having your car driven to E.H.Harms, you probably have to contact E.H.Harms or the delivery center.

I enjoyed my ED experience. I always travel to Europe in the winter. Pro:cheaper , Con:most touristy stuff is closed or shorter hours. I was able to get pass the breakin point before I went to England. I spent about twelve days in Europe going from brother's house to my uncles' to my father's house. Most of the time spent in England. Also, it was my first time driving a left hand car in England (got to wake up with your head on straight). I did a lot of driving. The car gets better with the added mileage.

The delivery really depends on where you live. If you live in the Northeast, you will get your car back rather quickly. My car took a long time.
  • Options
    sharrissharris Member Posts: 32
    Can anyone who has done ED provide details on exactly what is covered by the insurance provided with ED? I heard a bad story about someone who did ED on a 740 a couple of years ago, and got rear-ended while driving in Austria. The car was totaled. He spent the following six months going through expensive legal hassles trying to get the car replaced. Ultimately he lost, though the car was repaired and he got some money back due to the depreciation hit on the damaged vehicle.

From what I heard, if the accident had happened in Germany it would have been a different story; apparently under German law he would have been able to get the car replaced (provided the mileage was under a certain amount). I'm not sure if the details of the story are entirely accurate, but I trust the source and I'm sure the guy did go through hell for a number of months. No doubt this was a very rare occurrence, but just in case, I would like to get more info on the insurance. Thanks.
  • Options
    Per BMW: The plan porvides full coverage for all European Countries other than theft which has a 10% deductible. BMW provides free insurance coverage for 30 days. For customers anticipating a longer stay in Europe, (with a maximum of six months) additional charges will apply. Although there is coverage in former Eastern Bloc countries, it is advisable to exercise caution if planning to visit these countries. Note that vehicles leased through BMW Financial Services may not be driven into these countries and have no insurance coverage there.

It is extremely important to maintain all four keys in your possession. Although rare, in case of a vehicle theft, insurance companies in Europe are exempt from loss claims if all of the keys cannot be produced. Personal items left in the vehicle are not covered by innsurance should they be stolen.

I will also note, you also need to have all your paperwork on you. I don't know what happened to the guy in Austria, but as an American, you must take all precausions. I took my car to England that has a high theft rate compared to some countries in Europe and had no problems. Also, learn the driving laws. What did the individual do that might have got him rear ended.
  • Options
    jcivitellojcivitello Member Posts: 15
    I am planning on picking up my car Nov. 28th.
    I also have the NAV, but dont want to pay the full $150 for the European NAV disk, just to use it for 5 days of travel. I dont want to rely on the rumour that the ED Center will "loan" you the disk. So I propose either buying the CD with 2 or 3 other people who will be doing ED in the near term, thus sharing the cost. Or if someone who currently has the disk, i would gladly take it off your hands for half of your cost!?
    Please respond if you have any interest in either proposal. Thanks
    Civi
  • Options
    I have a UK disk. It has all the major cities and major roads in Europe. If detail is not a big deal, I would allow you to borrow my disk for your trip. It would probably get you anywhere in Europe. Let me know, I can be emailed @ seivwrig@swbell.net. I only check my email about three times a week. Also, the ED center does not give out disks.
  • Options
    For a list of cities on all European disks, see the following link: http://www.navtech.com/vehicle/order_mre_eu.html
  • Options
    simon9394simon9394 Member Posts: 7
    I am planning on buying a 2003 330i w/ ED. Could anyone please recommend a dealer who is willing to deal around 1000 - 1200 over invoice in the tri-state area? I do not mind traveling further if the saving could justify it. I have heard some dealers in the Baltimore & PA area selling just 700 over invoice. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

-- NYC Simon
  • Options
    bimmer3ibimmer3i Member Posts: 48
    I just picked up my 2003 330i last Wednesday, I got a pretty good deal but it's not ED. I think you could get a deal with that 1000 - 1200 range for ED, not sure though. Try Prestige in Ramsey, NJ and look for Rich Rodriguez, he's a nice guy (mention my name -Ron); phone no: 201-327-2525
  • Options
    Simon,

sorry, but I don't know what three states make up the "tri-state area," but since you mentioned Baltimore area, I'd check out Passport BMW in Marlow Heights, MD (between DC and Baltimore). I am taking a January ED on a 330i equipped almost exactly like you want, and I am doing so for 1200 over invoice. (I have written my praise for Passport earlier in this forum). Contact Joern Esser if interested.
    Good luck,
    Steve
  • Options
    simon9394simon9394 Member Posts: 7
    I am in NYC and am looking for a deal in NY, NJ, CT, MD, PA area
  • Options
    bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    Hey guys:

I too am looking into ED for a 2003 325xiT. I went to eurobuyers.com and only found 2002 ED invoice prices...anyone know where I could find this for a 2003 wagon with the options as well?

Simon9394- I am also in the NYC area and am looking to do this quickly.. I've heard of $1500 over ED invoice price- if you're interested in leveraging a dealer with two cars, let me know...

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    Try the following

Ted Walawender Carbobe BMW Utica N.Y. or
    Joern Esser Passport BMw Maryland

I am planning on ED purchase of 2003 330CIC and have received quotes from them within your range.
  • Options
    Hey guys:

I too am looking into ED for a 2003 325xiT. I went to eurobuyers.com and only found 2002 ED invoice prices...anyone know where I could find this for a 2003 wagon with the options as well?

Simon9394- I am also in the NYC area and am looking to do this quickly.. I've heard of $1500 over ED invoice price- if you're interested in leveraging a dealer with two cars, let me know...

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/pricing/2003/2003_325.pdf

If this wraps, go to:

www.bimmer.org

and click message boards/3-series, and then look for the link on the right side of the window.

- Mark

• Options
    Thanks for the post MarkJenn

Can anyone recommend a dealer in the NY metro area that would be willing to do $x amt over ED wholesale? From the 5 series board, there was a salesman Mike Weber at Park Ave, BMW in JErsey but he has left the dealership...

Any recommendiations would be helpful
  • Options
    Who has (or plans to) financed an ED purchase through someone OTHER THAN BMW?

What extra hoops must one jump through to obtaining financing, compared to non-ED financing?

For those who recently used BMWFS and have a good/excellent credit rating, what interest rates did you get?