Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

plasticmdplasticmd Member Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in BMW
Ordered 2003 530 auto with premium/xenon/lumbar/heated wheel for 1500.00 below MSRP. This is a lease..don't know what monthly payments are going to be. Is this a good deal? Residual value will be 63%.

Comments

• billytongbillytong Member Posts: 20
    My friend lease a 2000 528ia with Premium package pls 4 rim & winter tires will be expired in the end of Jan 2003. The transfer ownership from him to me it costs US$400 plus extended warranty US$1800. The estimated final mileage will be around 50,000km not mile. Is it worth to buy this car? residue US$23,000+15% sales taxes in canada.
    So the final amount that I have to pay is US$25,200+15% taxes. Remarks: Excellent conditions
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Almost exactly one year ago, I secured a lease for a 2002 530i (5-sp,pp,sp,xexon) for $1,000 over invoice. My monthly payment, including all taxes is $535.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Very good price, although you should've bargained it down to $530 a month! :)
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    Last year I purchased a 02 530i w/ PP, DSP, Xenons, Step & Heated Wheel for $2400 off from MSRP. In addition I was able to negotiate the lease (m.f.) rate from .24 to .19.

My recommendation would be to find out the lease rate by going to Edmunds Finance web page. Based on your term & mileage they will be able to provide you with rate information.

Aside from going with Euro Delivery, the $$$ discount can vary from each region. My dealership is now being more aggressive with 5-series sales.

Chris
  • rpj212rpj212 Member Posts: 2
    I leased a 01 530i about 6 months ago, has the premium and sport package, navigation system, steptronic. Extended warranty 5yr/100K miles. $4200 down, $698/monthly. Negotiated $3000 off MSRP.
    Well, the extended warranty's nice, but you haven't told us what the terms are: Length of lease, mileage allowed, residual?

Based solely on the monthly payments, it does sound high for a used model. But it may be reasonable...give us more info.
  • e210se210s Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering buying a '99 or '00 528i, off lease. I've been told that thw "wholesale" price on a '99 in good condition and with relatively low mileage is about $25,000. That sounds high to me. I'm in the NYC market. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or have you had any experience in this recently? (It would not matter to me if car were manual shift - I'd actually prefer it).
  • chaseagchaseag Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 525 with sport pkg. My last car was an Avalon XLS that had much softer seats than the BMW. The BMW drives great and I am very happy how it handles but the seats seem very stiff. Anyone knows if there are aftermarket seats,seat pads,ect. that could help?
    Also, any ideas on keeping the brake dust from getting all over the outside front wheels?
    {You may want to post this on the regular 5-series board to get some more eyes on it.}

I agree the sport package seats are firm, but I find them wonderfully supportive and well-contoured. In fact, I think the firmness is a good thing, but obviously it's a subjective call. I haven't heard of any "seat softeners," but you might look into those sheep covers. I think they look ridiculous, but they'd probably help take the edge off. You may just want to give the seats some time; you might warm up to them, and the leather and cushions will soften up a bit gradually.

As for the brake dust, the only ways to eliminate (or greatly reduce) it are to switch to low-dust brake pads, or to install those brake dust shields. Problem with the first is that those who've gone with after-market low-dust pads usually complain of greater squealing, brake fade, and other functional detriments. And brake dust shields are potentially even worse, since they rob the rotors and calipers from effective ventilation (especially in stop-and-go traffic) which can greatly increase brake fade and increase braking distances. Not to mention your wheels look sillier with those shields than with some brake dust.

Basically, you have to "deal with it," as we all do. Invest in a good wheel brush and P21S Wheel Cleaner, and spend 15-20 minutes on them every other week. It's far better than the alternatives.
  • jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    just ordered 525 (prem pkg, heated steer wheel,cold weather and manual trans, 15k yr, 439/mo,1288 inceptions and multiple security (which i get back at lease end) of 4,050.00. also threw in xenon's if i order this week. i think deal is great since i tried several other dealers and prices were much higher. any feedback
    thanks
  • m1fullerm1fuller Member Posts: 9
    Just ordered 530i with pre. package, sports package, premium sound/dsp and cold weather package. MSRP is $49,965...I'm probably going to lease for 2 years than upgrade to the new body style when it runs out. My question is what should the actual price of the car be? 1500 or 2000 below msrp. I put $1,000.00 down to hold the car I wanted and will arrive this friday. So, Friday is the day to finanlize everything. One more thing, the salesperson will throw in the window tint and clear bra with 1.9% financing if I pay sticker....let me know what you guys think.
    As I posted a couple days ago, you should negotiate starting at $1000 over the dealer's invoice price, and be willing to go up to around $2000 over invoice. DO NOT negotiate from MSRP, which is a rather meaningless figure; you want to negotiate what the dealer's profit will be, and it's a lot easier to do that bargaining up from the invoice price. If they give you a big hassle get your refund back and take it to another dealer.

As for their "deal," it's pathetic. Window tint costs $150-200. The BMW clear bra sells for about the same amount. And the 1.9% financing is a BMW Financial Services promotion, not something the dealer's generously giving away. So, by paying him more than four grand over invoice, he'll give you a $400 break. Outrageous.
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    JMezz- love the move of going with the 525i over the 330xi.. It's a preference thing but with a 5 speed, you're in good shape...I researched the multi-deposit and it is a safe way to go so I am considering of doing the same deal.. I have three questions for you:
    1) how much more would a similarly equipped 530i run?
    2) What is your buy-back at lease end? did you negotiate this?
    3) Does this include tax? what is your tax rate?

Thanks
  • m1fullerm1fuller Member Posts: 9
    Hey, Thanks for the quick reponse as usual. I found out today the car is in dock in California and won't be in CO till late next week. Gives me more time to shop for the price I want. I would never pay sticker so will see what they will come down to. On Edmunds the invoice is just over 45,000. Hopefully I can get at the price you suggested. Thanks again...
    bimmer12- they gave me a rough qoute on 530 with similar equip and financials for about 90 more/mo. the prices i posted includes 6% tax. actually, i didn't officially place the order though i did get a written quote which i posted. however, i also improved upon that lease figure by 650.00 over life of lease.here is breakdown-425/mo,39 mo, 15k,1168 inceptions and yes the multiple security of 4,500. it keeps getting better every day but i am sure i have reached the bottom as several other dealers would not go this low. good luck!
  • awd2003awd2003 Member Posts: 54
    I am looking to lease a 530i with auto, prem, cold weather and xenon. I got three quotes from 498/month, 508 and $549. this inc tax 39mth 12k multiple sec dep and incept fees. I'm told this deal ends Dec 31. Any comments?
    Jmezz- I thought I was good at haggling but I might have to hire you!! Thanks for the quick response... Only question I would have is do you have an option to buy and how much do you thinka sport pkg would cost? I wish you were in the NY/NJ area, I would suggest we leverage them with the incentive of two sales...

AWD2003-looks like a good deal- was your inceptions $1168 + the $4500? How can the $498-$549 includes multiple sec dep?

Anyways, great job guys.. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow.
    hi bimmer12-i think the sport pkg is a 2,000 option and the dealer told me for every 1,000in price of option your monthly goes up ~25.00. i officially placed my order this afternoon (blue water) and even got them to throw in the rear air bags option still for my above stated deal. i can buy the car at end but i am not exactly sure of cost as it is not stated on sales agreement. when i pick up car it will be on there.good luck they will be very eager within the next2 weeks.
    bimmer12: The details are auto,premium, xenon and cold weather. 39mths 12k per yr $5850 which includes $4500 multiple sec I'm quoted $495. inc tax. I personally think the basic inception fees are high.
    Hey guys:
    Think I'm going to go with the purchase and european delivery. I believe that many have reported getting a new bimmer for 1000-1500 over wholesale prices (listed on eurobuyers.com).. I just need to find a dealer in the NY/NJ area that will accomodate it as others have obtained. Have you guys seen any flexibility with interest rates for 60 months? Someone reported 1.9% but I'm not sure the tenure of his payments.. Any programs by BMW of NA this month?
  • hayemhayem Member Posts: 8
    I have the chance to buy a 2000 5 series wagon with sport and premium package for 37000$ it's a certified for 100 K miles and or 6 0r 7 yrs, it has 20700 miles on it any feed back? for me Thanks
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I think it is way too much for a 2000 5 series eventhough it has low mileage. If it is a 540 then it may be OK, but for a 528 I think that $37K is too much, even for Certified. I am not sure what is your geographical area but I think You can do a lot better.

Good Luck,

Spyderred
  • skycop56skycop56 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2001 525i with 45k miles. Silver, Steptronic, Premium Package, tinted windows, new Continental tires. Car is flawless, not a scratch, ding, or mark anywhere. Here is the hard part to believe. I BOUGHT IT ON EBAY!
    And, I paid $26,000. Just flew down to Orlando and drove it back to Ohio. It is the best car I've ever owned. My only previous German car was an 87 Porsche 944 tiurbo. Since then I have owned all Japanese cars, Nissan 300Z was favorite. This 525i beats them all. Now, If I can just keep my wife from driving it all damn day.
    Just wondering where you got your edmunds user name?

Spyderred,
  • mbgoldenmbgolden Member Posts: 4
    I noticed an earlier post stating the lease rate (M.F.) was negotiated from .24 to .19. Exactly what is the M.F. rate definition? Thanks in advance.
    It's simply the interest rate. To get the equivalent interest rate, multiply by 2400, but note that sometimes slimy dealers will quote a MF as, for example, "2.8" in hopes of confusing customers by making it sound like a low interest rate. That "2.8" is really a MF of 0.0028, or a rate of 6.72%.

From what I've read (I've never leased a car), it's usually the sticker and residual prices of a car that are negotiable, not the MF (since that's set by the bank or lease company). But perhaps that's possible as well.
  • sel3sel3 Member Posts: 33
    Military members serving overseas at least 140 days can purchase a duty-free BMW from several military sales centers in Europe.

Base price for a 525 is $32,950.00

Base price for a 530 36,050.00

There is no price difference on the Optional Equipment.

This seems to be the best price available!
    My friend lease a 2000 528ia with Premium package, 6 CD, moon roof, tiptronic, xenon light, 17" rim & 4-16"rim & winter tires will be expired in the end of Feb 2003. The transfer ownership from him to me it costs US$400 plus extended warranty US$1800. The estimated final mileage will be around 28750 miles. Is it worth to buy this car? residue value US$23,200+15% sales taxes in canada.
    So the final amount that I have to pay is US$25,500+15% taxes. Remarks: Excellent conditions
    jump on it. Prices are geographically dependent. If this price was here is Southern California it would be real hard to pass it up. What color combo? You indicate the car has 17" rims, did the car come with the factory sports package or did he just add the sport wheels.

The only thing is the extended warranty for $1800 is a bit steep. I hope that the extended warranty is backed by BMW (i.e. CPO), if it is, see if you can knock the dealer down a bit. Their cost to CPO is about $1100. So maybe ~$1500 would be fair.

Good luck and Let us know what you decide.

Spyderred,
    Is a silver body with premium package. He only added a 17" sport wheels for summer and 16" wheels for winter use only. tinted windows
    I'm try to buy a extended warranty from internet www.1SourceAutoWarranty.com What do you think this company?
    and a half ago for $1800. Diamond plan 5 years/100,000 miles zero ded. So far they have paid for $1100 worth of repairs. They have been excellent to deal with thus far. My car has been maintained at a Southern California BMW Dealer.

If you are planning on buying a contract from them, make sure to buy it before your car reaches 36,000 miles on the odometer. There was a few hundred $ difference between the odometer reading less than 36,000 and more than 36,000 miles. I found out about it by plugging in different scenarios on their website. I was trying to figure out when is the best time/price to buy the extended warranty. Not sure if this is still the case but it was true back in October of 2001.

So far my experience with 1Source has been excellent. I highly recommend them, for now. We will see what the future holds and how they respond to future claims (if claims are necesarry, hopefully not).

Once you drive a BMW, it would be really difficult to drive another car. Everything else suffers by comparison.

In any case, I highly recommend getting an extended warranty contract for these cars. They are awesome to drive but they come with usually higher repair bills.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Spyderred,

• tastetaste Member Posts: 37
    I am evaluating auto's for when I turn in our 9-5 at the end of May.

Anyone have any info how leasing rates look for 530i's in the Chicago area? I would look at the 525i but they are underpowered in my opinion. Love the 540i but probably more than I want to spend once you add in features.

Would consider a 330ix but not has high on the styling compared to the 5 series
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Member Posts: 29
    I just reviewed the 'What Did You Pay?' Board and was wondering why the high majority of lease instead of buy. To me unless there is a substantial business write-off it is money out the window every month. What about pride of ownership? Anyway, I would appreciate some help on a new 2003 530i(manual) purchase with Prem. and Winter Pkg., Xenon's and Navigation. Pre-tax MSRP is $46,995 with 2565.00 off at a net of $44,430. Is this ok or can I do better. I live in Central New Jersey. Additionally, should I go for the sports Package? I am worried about ride harshness and besides this, right now I am getting a lot of flack from my wife and some friends on not getting the Steptronic. I saw in the editorial test some mention of a slight problem or a bit to be desired with the 5 speed manual...Is this true? Any other advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am not really interested in the 2004. Hey, what color do you like with the grey interior (Black Sapphire?)? By the way for years I have dreamed of a 5 series; I am really psyched about this car.
  • dylanrheadylanrhea Member Posts: 5
    Lease Gurus:

I have been made the following offer:
    2003 540i with Sport Package and Premium DSP Sound, folding and locking back seats.

Down payment: $2500 Drive-Off
    Term: 66 months
    Money Factor: 1.95
    Lease Payment: $914.15
    Tax: 70.85
    Total Monthly: $985
    Mileage: 12k per year

Any thoughts? I priced this out directly with BMW credit and it was much higher.
  • sharrissharris Member Posts: 32
    Best way to negotiate a deal is to start with invoice price. The price you pay can be figured as follows:

Your price = Invoice (including invoice for all options) + Dest. and Handling + Dealer profit

You should be able to make the deal with dealer profit of around $1500 or perhaps a bit less. For a 2003 530i with the options you mentioned (PP, CWP, Xenons, Nav), the invoice price is:

$37,560 (base invoice for US delivery) + 2,095 (PP) + 545 (CWP) + 1,640 (Nav) + 455 (Xenons) = $42,295

Add the $695 for Dest. and Handling and you get $42,990.

Now add, say, $1,500 for dealer profit, and you get $44,490. So, if the $44,430 you mention INCLUDES D&H, that would be a very good price. If not, you should be able to do better.

You also might want to consider European Delivery. Price on ED is also negotiable, up from ED invoice price, though apparently some dealers aren't willing to make deals on ED. ED invoice on 2003 530 is $34,785. For ED you should be able to get about $1200 over invoice, so you can easily save over $3000 doing ED vs. US delivery for a 5-series (you also save on sales tax since the total price is less for ED; I live in California and figure that I saved close to $400 in sales tax by doing ED).

As for manual vs. step, it is a matter of personal choice. I got the stick; I greatly prefer the feeling of involvement in driving with a stick. An auto, even with semi-manual control, just doesn't give me the same pleasure and sense of involvement. I actually feel I am a better driver with a stick because I stay more alert. The clutch and shifter on the 5 are fine. Some people find it a bit difficult to make smooth shifts into 1st or 2nd. I have too on occasion but I'm getting used to it and now find that I can shift as smooth or more smoothly than in my previous car (Acura Legend, which I found very easy to shift). So if you really want a stick, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have to appease wife, that is a different matter altogether ;-)

Good luck!
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Because BMW (as many other manufacturers) has set artificially high residuals for 5-series. It is cheaper to lease for 3 years than to buy the car and trade it in 3 years. I am currently leasing a 2002 540ia. It has a 3-year residual somewhere around $37K. The real life trade-in value for 3 year old 540 with all options I have is now somewhere around 32K. Two years from now with E60 making E39 obsolete I am not sure that anyone will give me $30K for my car if I trade it. With a lease I will just return it to BMW and get a new one. Let's them deal with residuals and market values.
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    You should ask this question on finance and insurance board. Pros there will give you all answers you need. From my point of view 66-month lease is not something you should ever consider. Buy the car if you want to keep it for such a long time. With $985 you can probably finance it for 66 month not lease. I would consider something like $750-800 to be an acceptable number for 3/36 lease. But check with pros.
  • dan_bmwdan_bmw Member Posts: 29
    To Sharris and SergeyM - Thanks for responding to my 530i questions and concerns. It was a great help and I really appreciate your assistance. Dan (dan_bmw)
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Member Posts: 51
    I have Steptronic and Sport pkg and both are right ..for me. Just had to have the seats with Sport pkg, and it rides just fine...for me. For you...keep test driving all the configurations; after all,it's a car for...you...All others should let you own what you prefer. They are excited for you,for sure, so take the time to figure it out. Ride the steptronic and manual,back to back and drive each hard. The Step works really well,smooth and enjoyable, but it is not a manual...and you can see many on this board are definitely fans of the manual tranny.You are in the driver's seat....The price seems reasonable and fairly good. Good luck!
  • sharrissharris Member Posts: 32
    Dan, you're welcome. I got so much valuable information from this board (as well as bimmer.org) before my 530 purchase, I'm more than happy to share some of what I learned. Again, best of luck with your decision.

I agree with the cbgb's comments in the above post; drive both manual and steptronic as much as possible before making your decision. I've also driven a 530ia and was quite pleased with the steptronic transmission. My friend who owns it had always driven a stick before that (including a 528i 5sp), and he says he doesn't miss the stick at all. Still, only you can decide what is right for you.
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    Just want to let you know I was able to negotiate 1500 over invoice this past thursday. The order is in for 2003 MY topaz blue, 5 spd, PP, SP and Xenon lights. The dealer gave me a little hard time but I held my own. For clarification, I am purchasing it, not leasing it. I have to wait for 6 - 8 weeks before my toy is delivered. I am not certain if you have the same leverage with leasing. Good luck to all.
  • shinden101shinden101 Member Posts: 1
    What is the current residual value on the 5 series? Is it 61% for 36/12000? Thanks.
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    I'm undecided between Lexus GS430 and BMW530. If the latter, do I buy now, or wait for new?
    I can't seem to get more than $2300 off MSRP so far, and that doesn't seem good, considering that a new model is coming out.
    I'm in So Calif and don't want to pay more than invoice+$1000.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Hi asteinberg!

I also compared between Lexus and BMW, but in my case it was between Lexus LS430 and BMW540i. Lexus is a nice luxury car, superior in its smoothness and quietness, but when it comes to performance and handling it's no match to the Ultimate Driving Machine! I guess it boils down to your personal preference, whether you like a lush ride or a sporty drive!

I hear that the current Lexus GS would be redesigned in 2005, so you want to take this into your consideration.

As for the 2004 BMW 5 series, I'm thinking about it myself. It's a bit too early to make an informed decision about it. You may check the following sites for pics and info:

http://www.bmw545.com
    http://www.bmwclub.org.hk/news/0020.htm
    http://www.bmwfan-hp.de/e60-02.php
    http://gogogogo.netfirms.com/BMW.html

AS for the 2003 BMW530, I guess Summer would be the best time to get a bargain price as the new model approaches the market, but your colors/options choices would be rather limited to what the dealers have in their lots. The best thing to do is to e-mail several dealers, even outside your area, compare prices and then have them compete for your deal!

Good luck!
    Tony
  • john888john888 Member Posts: 15
    Hey guys! I was offered the following by BMW dealer in New York City(Queens) area:

2003 BMW 530, Auto, PP, Cold Weather Package, 10/k/yr, Silver, Bk Leather(good color combo?) for $544.54/month for 36 month, + upfront$3330.46($550 sec., $525 bank, $1710.92 tax(@8.5%))(Saleslady told me monet factor was .0015, $1800 of MSRP)

No money down on this deal above.
    (Which is better: to pay money down or not, if I have $2-4k to put down?)

I would like Xenon and 12k in deal(how much more per/month should it be?)

Anyone with similar lease deals on 530 lately in NYC area? If so, would appreciate input and referral to your dealer and salesman if it was good deal! Tks.

What do you think of this? Tks.
    p.s. By the way, It's 6 am Sunday 3/9, I can't sleep thinking about this. My 1st BMW!
    I see you guys post some info on something call"multi-deposit" what is it?(somekind of down payment plan?) Does it or can it apply to my deal below:

Hey guys! I was offered the following by BMW dealer in New York City(Queens) area:

2003 BMW 530, Auto, PP, Cold Weather Package, 10/k/yr, Silver, Bk Leather(good color combo?) for $544.54/month for 36 month, + upfront$3330.46($550 sec., $525 bank, $1710.92 tax(@8.5%))(Saleslady told me monet factor was .0015, $1800 of MSRP)

No money down on this deal above.
    (Which is better: to pay money down or not, if I have $2-4k to put down?)

I would like Xenon and 12k in deal(how much more per/month should it be?)

Anyone with similar lease deals on 530 lately in NYC area? If so, would appreciate input and referral to your dealer and salesman if it was good deal! Tks.

What do you think of this? Tks.
    p.s. By the way, It's 6 am Sunday 3/9, I can't sleep thinking about this. My 1st BMW!
    I leased a 2003 530i with Auto, sport, premium,xenon and cold pkg. 39mth/12k. I put down 4500 in refundable security. I had to pay $800 in fees.
    This includes 1st month. We don't prepay sales tax in CT. My monthly is $499 which includes sales tax. Hope this helps. I got jet black with black leather.
  • blueox2blueox2 Member Posts: 19
    It sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal but can you give us additional details? What was the price of the car, the money factor, and the residual? Also, $4500 in refundable security deposit sounds steep. Is that standard? Finally, how did you get this deal? Did you negotiate vehicle price first and then discuss lease terms based on that or did the dealer come out and offer you the $499 payment with the terms you describe?

Thanks, BlueOx
    Sounds great, which dealer? salesman? I gotta contact them. Tks.