Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    I really appreciate the advice kyfdx. I suspect that most dealerships don't keep accurate online inventory, however I check theirs every day. The total number of new TSX's drops by one or two cars every few days and the used goes up or down by one or two so it seems like someone is updating it. I've made a list of all of the inventory stock#'s and can pretty much figure out which cars have been there the longest by how low the stock# is. Do you think the amount of time it's been on the lot can factor into negotiations. If so, how should I approach it? Would they actually tell me how long it's been there if I ask? One last sort of unrelated question. Whenever they ask how much you owe on your trade, isn't this just a way of low-balling you? It's none of their business right. It realistically should not have an effect on their offer on your trade. Sorry about all of the questions. :blush:
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    I received two decent quotes for AT non-Navi:

$25.8K (Includes destination) - Carbon/ebony.

$26K (Includes destination and protection package) - Black/parchment or quartz.

Looking at previous posts, the cost regarding the protection package (guards, locks and mats), it looks as if the quotes are equal.

I was thinking $25.5K ($150 over invoice), but I didn't figure in the protection package.

My other offers are > $26.4K.

Any comments?
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I did not get to the point of price quotes in DFW, since no one had the TSX I wanted :mad: but I had four dealers bid in CO. Best I could get was 26,599 (includes wheel locks, mud flaps, trunk mat and all weather mats - I only wanted the mats) for a MT non-nav.

Have you tried Vandergriff or Mac Churchill?
  • abcinvabcinv Member Posts: 6
    I just got an internet quote of $27,674 which includes the protection package and lifetime oil changes every 3,750 miles. This prices includes dest. charges but not the doc fees of $395. I've been searching for a while and this seems like a great price. Today or tomorrow is what he told me, which is fine with me. Any suggestions?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    That seems fair... Just make the doc fee part of the price.. So... $28,069 for the car with protection package...

Do the lifetime oil changes require you to pay for the dealer's "scheduled maintenance", as well? If so, they'll make their money back by requiring more maintenance than Acura does.. Usually, these plans are of limited value.. I wouldn't consider that an extra..

Seems like an average deal... If you can lower the price to make it $27,700 including the doc fee, it would be a little stronger..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well how about this! The first dealer said they did not have a white one. So I went with the second dealer which give it to me for $28,069 (dest and fees included). The first dealer called me right back and they did have a white one on the lot, just not showing in the computer. I told her I was commited already at a better price but thanks). Five minutes later she call back and beats ! New price is $26,860 which includes dest and doc fees!

News just in. My third dealer just called and is "claiming they can beat that! I'll let you know.

BTW....I am a freakin nervous WRECK!!!!
    Sorry. The price above is without doc fee and I typed the wrong price ( did I mention i was a nervous wreck?). The price is $26,760 + $395 doc fees totalling $27,155.
    $27,155 for TSX w/NAV?

I'd want to be down there right away.... to see if I could finalize that deal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm on my way.

I'll let you know if they try to act all stupid and stuff tonight!

Thanks for all of the previous post.
  • djc314djc314 Member Posts: 18
    "The pricing of the TSX including the option group (all season mats, wheel locks, trunk tray, mud guards, splash guards) and the rear spoiler is $27451
    including all processing fees, destination charge, and 4 yr/50000 mi oil and
    filter changes.

The $200 coupon you have is good toward this purchase. Total price is $27251
    with coupon."
    Update: Settled on $25.7 for Carbon/Ebony non-Navi w/AT. Includes destination and protection package. After doc fee; sales tax (9%), user tax and new plates, final price is $28,316. My third new Acura (86 Integra and 92 Vigor), and my last until I retire. :D
    Alright, back home now. The deal (post 1790,91,92,93) went flawless. Just your normal do you want this or that stuff. The car is quicker than I remember. I've just got to sort through all of the nav options and settings now. Thanks to everyone on this board. No way I would have got (what I think is) a great deal like this! What do ya'll think, $27,155 + 7% sales tax pretty good? Thanks again!
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    For a TSX with NAV, that's a really good deal.
  • jet1234jet1234 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone purchased a TSX, 6-MT, non-navigation in the past 2-3 months in the DC/MD/VA area? What are dealerships quoting now? (From the recent posts here, it seems like quoted prices from around the country have gone up slightly overall, which is unusual to me). I'm looking to purchase one in a month. Thanks.
  • walter7walter7 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone purchased a TSX, automatic, non-nav in the Houston area recently? I am hoping to get something for under $28K, including TTL and any others, but was curious if that seemed reasonable. Thanks everyone.
  • calimackcalimack Member Posts: 2
    Walter 7
    I just bought an automatic/non-navi last week in Houston from John Eagle Acura. I was out the door for $27,770. I found that Gillman had the same quote and Beaumont Classic was also around that. Sterling McCall was WAY above the other quotes and wasnt really willing to negotiate that much. I highly recommend John Eagle.
  • valariousvalarious Member Posts: 5
    Could you please let me know what dealers you went to in Ga? I am trying to buy a TSX with Navi in GA and would be very courious as to where you went.
  • frisbeenutfrisbeenut Member Posts: 7
    Hi all I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 MT no Nav silver TSX with mudgards, wheelocks, cargo net and mats, in excellent condition with 9500 miles for $23400 in NYC (TTL extra with 1 owner who just jumped into a mazda RX8 lease which is why he is selling). I see people have been getting some good deals on 2005 models.

Does this price sound ok? The KBB and Edmunds values are $24805 and $23877 for private sale with this setup in my area. The kbb value seems high and I originally thought $23400 was a fair price but with the deals being mentioned for 05's this now seems to me a bit high. Any thoughts?
    If you can get a new '05 for $25,500, I wouldn't pay $23,400 for a used one... even if that is a good price relative to other used TSXs..

I just don't see the value in the used one, to save only $2100....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kream85kream85 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone just paid at Rosenthal Acura $25,754 for non-nav PWP before 3% VA sales Tax. Although nothing got thrown in, gotta pay for mud guards.
    I contacted four dealers through email and calls after I knew who the internet managers were. Ed Voyles, Nalley, Baranco and Sutton Acura. Sutton never called me back with a price at all! Baranco had the lowest INITIAL offer but would not budge at all. But that was fine, I had Nalley Acura and Ed Voyles competing from there on out. Both of these internet managers were great to work with. Try to keep in mind it was the last weekend of the month and raining. That combined with the knowledge I gathered from this site, there was no way I could go wrong. It got real crazy at the end for me. I don't have nerves of steel and was ready for it to end. Let me know if you want names, OFFLINE of course...
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your out-the-door price? Did you shop around other dealerships in the NoVA area?
  • acura30306acura30306 Member Posts: 1
    Acura Carland in Duluth Ga is a Precision Team Dealer--great prices and customer service- I had a good experience
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Going by the usual 20% depreciation in the first year there's no way you should pay more than 22K for that car. I'm sure that person wouldn't get more than 20K on a trade in.
    In another 2 months the car will be officially 2 MYs old (even though it could physically be even more than 2 years old) - even more depreciation.

Next spring when the first TSXs sold start coming off 3 year leases the current unusually high resale prices will come down to more reasonable levels.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    For an '04 TSX that would sell new ('05) for 25,500, my top offer would be $21,700. (That would be the max I would offer.) Since the gov't is giving us 40 cents a mile for tax purposes, on a car that has 9500 miles, 9500 x $0.4 = $3800. Reducing a new car price of $25,500 by $3,800 comes to $21,700. Or as Biker4 writes, no way to go over 22K. Matter of fact, when the '06's come out, it lowers the '04's even more.

Personally, I may be looking for an '04 TSX auto in Red or Meteor with less than 15000 miles on it in Oct-Dec timeframe and expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $19.5K or less. Otherwise, I'll look for a new '05 around then for dealer cost. Am losing my company car so am going to be getting into the market and so far, the TSX is the front runner.
    A little confused. Could you clarify the 40 cent a mile comment? Thought the tax breaks were on "Green" cars only. Or is this something to do with your employer? I'm curious because I am gearing up to start dealing on a CPO soon. :confuse:
    How many recent Acura buyers have had dealers try to pull this on you??

Get this...Goodson Acura in Irving Texas is trying to tell me that this $599 on my quote is valid! I assume that all cars leave the factory with VIN etching. And even if they don't, Police departments will do it for free. I told them no other Acura place has added this. The message on my machine tried to indicate that they all would. They must think I'm an idiot. As far as I can tell, this is some scam about "registering" your etched I.D.# or VIN for a "cash award over what your ins. co. pays if not returned in 30-days if stolen" theft insurance or some garbage like that. Whatever. Should I deal with this via email now while I'm in the quote gathering process, or at the paper signing stage if they end up with the lowest pre-tax/fee price? I might have to pull out the big guns if they continue...A car dealer relative. ;)

With a market as big as Texas, and with at least a dozen other Acura places within a couple of hours driving or and hour and a half max on a $75 flight, they need to give up the con. I'll go where the best deal is.
    Thanks to all for the replies. I wonder why the prices quoted by KBB and Edmunds are so darn high? Are people really paying that much? The numbers quoted by you (jg88) and biker4 seem more in line with what they should be...kinda makes you wonder where they get their numbers. What do ya think...acura conspiracy? ;) Keep the used car prices high so you will buy new ones.
  • kream85kream85 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, i did but if u buy the car in MD you save .17% sales tax also, oTD was 26,250 but i got the exterior,undercoating and rustproofing for na additional 700.
  • tsxwantedtsxwanted Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide between an Accord 4dr 3.0 EX w/leather/XM and a TSX (The Accord sold in Europe and Japan. Looks is the only difference and this is somewhat important but there is no difference in performance, reliability and safety. There is an important consideration for the Accord since it is assembled in the US and thus one would help to keep jobs here. In addition, there is the uncontestable historical fact on the side of the Accord. Consumer reports rate the Accord EX (v4 or v6) over the TSX.
    I have obtained the following quotes for the Accord:
    Accord 4dr 3.0 EX w/leather (v4)--21,682
    Accord 4dr 3.0 EX w/leather/XM(v6)--23,923.

The EX v4 was more than 6,000 shipper than the TSX (26,800). Is "the looks" worth 6K of hype?

I have seen post on this forum of people driving the TSX out of the lot for 25,800. So your quote, like mine, is inflated. We must stop the hype about the TSX and drop its price down.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    I believe he was referring to the standard govermental mileage reimbursement rates...which corporations generally use for employees submitting expense reimbursement requests.

BTW....the exact rate is $0.405.
    Based on your listed prices, the difference is actually just over 5,000 not 6,000. Anyway, there are also many differences between the TSX and 4 cylinder Accord EX w/leather other than just looks. The ones that comes to mind are:

-40 HP
    -Vehicle stability assist
    -An extra 1 year/14,000 miles of warranty
    -HID headlights
    -Sportshift (manumatic)
    -More powerful stereo (allegedly 360 watts vs. 120 watts)
    -Power passenger seat
    -Homelink (integrated garage door opener)

On top of all those, the TSX does look way better IMHO. I drove the Accord and it was a nice car, but after driving the TSX, everything about it felt like a step up. As to if the looks, feel and additional features are worth the $5,000 gap, that is a very personal decision. When I bought my TSX, the gap was about $4,000 and I thought the difference was worth it.

Assuming that $26,800 quote is before TTL, it does sound a bit high, but you have to remember supply and demand. Cars sell for less in some areas of the country (California comes to mind). Other people are quoting out-the-door prices from areas with little or no sales tax, which isn't necessarily a valid comparison point for other states.
  • ronabironabi Member Posts: 39
    Go to Vandergriff in Arlington. I don't think you'll have that trouble. The main thing to watch there is negotiation on a trade-in and attempts to sell add-on services (but not a hard sell, just decline) when you have made a deal and get to the financial guy. Make your first contact with the Internet Manager. I bought an 05 non-nav w auto there in December for invoice and they included tint and wheel locks for no added charge.

Good luck.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    I was using the standard Gov't reimbursement rates as the multiplier for mileage on a used car. If it's good enough for the IRS, it's good enough for me. One might argue that it depends on the car, but to me, the TSX is an averge priced car so the logic of appying the 40 cents a mile rate should be OK. Also, as a buyer, I will apply as many reasons as I can to "help" the seller lower the price. As a seller, I would use Edmunds and KBB all day long to try to inflate the price as much as possible.

Maybe you can all tell that I have no qualms about buying a used Acura -- have done so in the past. Bought a '96 RL in '99, sold it in '04 after having put over 100,000 miles on it and figure I saved over a third to a almost a half of buying a new RL in '99. To me, the Acura Certified program was a great experience. Most of the loss in car value occurs in the 1st 3 years and stabilizes from years 3 to 6/7, then drops after years 7/8 again (depending on mileage). Since I'm in the 4th phase of my second mid-life crisis, something sporty and shiny seems pretty good to me -- a red TSX, or maybe the meteor color. The Meteor Silver seems to have a very nice bluish tint to it.

BTW, as much as I like the v6 accord, which is lot; and having driven one -- it is not as much fun as the TSX nor is does it have as many goodies. Also, a one-year old TSX will have almost the same warranty coverage as a new Accord and can be had for about the same price as the v6 w/ leather so maybe there is an alternative to the cost discrepancy. If the price is fairly equal, then buy the car you prefer based strictly on merit.
  • rbevz67rbevz67 Member Posts: 69
    also:

17 vs 16 inch wheels

perf leather vs. non-perf
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Accord vs TSX--faced same decision. my best price on ex accord 4cyl w leather was 22,5k TSX was 25.9k but that ended up including the wheel locks, floor mats, splash guards. So I looked at a one year old accord and one year old TSX on kbb and found the depreciation on the Accord to be at the time the 2004 Accord was 18.9k trade in and the TSX was 22.5k. I like both cars but the difference in price seemed to be maintained at trade in time and the TSX had a few more options, longer warranty, 4 yr. 50,000 oil changes every 5000 miles and loaner car if in for service that takes longer than 2 hours. Both are great cars--like the TSX a bunch, the Accord seems a little bigger inside but will buy Honda product again some time down the road or Toyota or Nissan had great success with all three.

The little things that helped me is I never see a TSX, love the look, and it just is a more sporty car from my perspective. These get to be personal decisions and either car will be great.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Accord vs TSX--faced same decision. my best price on ex accord 4cyl w leather was 22,5k TSX was 25.9k but that ended up including the wheel locks, floor mats, splash guards. So I looked at a one year old accord and one year old TSX on kbb and found the depreciation on the Accord to be more---- that from just a business decision the TSX was my choice. At the time the 2004 Accord was 18.9k trade in and the TSX was 22.5k. I like both cars but the difference in price seemed to be maintained at trade in time and the TSX had a few more options, longer warranty, 4 yr. 50,000 oil changes every 5000 miles and loaner car if in for service that takes longer than 2 hours. Both are great cars--like the TSX a bunch, the Accord seems a little bigger inside but will buy Honda product again some time down the road or Toyota or Nissan had great success with all three.

The little things that helped me is I never see a TSX, love the look, and it just is a more sporty car from my perspective. These get to be personal decisions and either car will be great.
    kream85, wow, that's a great price OTD. thanks for the info! I'm looking to get a TSX non-nav in about a month.
    I think it's a short term quirk - popular car with few used ones that's been out just 2 years.

The residual on the TSX is not higher than most cars in the segement - I think around 60% at 36 mo. - meaning that the $26K TSX will be worth $15600 at lease end - next spring.
    You are likely correct biker4. I guess we will have to wait and see how the market shakes out once the 06 arrives and the 04's start coming off of 3 year leases. I wonder how many TSX's are leased and how many of them will hit the market. I think it will take a high number of them hitting the market at once to drive the used prices down to more reasonable numbers.
    Does anyone know what's the cost of pin striping on a TSX? I'm buying a Pearl White TSX and I'm adding pin striping and sunroof visor.
  • vskvsk Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a TSX in a few days. This is my first car so please help me find it for a decent price. Is there anybody to share experiences in buying around the Seattle, Washington area?

Seems like a stupid question, can you please tell me what "being well informed" means. What all do I need to know to strike a good deal? I think that the invoice price is 24,734 (or something around that), isnt that enough. I had been to the Acura dealer at Bellevue and mentioned it, hoping for a good deal, but he added the numbers like this - 24,734 + 560 (dest) + 320 (protection pkg) = 25614. And says that its what he pays for and and he can never come to that!! His offer was 26990. I asked him for 25K and he wudnt budge. Another offer that I hav is for 26151 but it doesnt include the protection package. I am very poor at negotiating so please help me. I like the car a lot but 26K seems a lot for it.

Thanks in advance.

-vsk
    I bought a non-NAV TSX from Acura of Seattle about 6 weeks ago including the protection package. I had a trade on which I got full KBB trade-in value, so it's hard to separate the trade and purchase, but the sale price on the car was $26,450 plus TTL.

From reading here and other forums, it looks like a fair number of people around the country are beating that number, but I haven't seen anyone near $25,000. That's several hundred below invoice, something that isn't likely to happen on a strong selling car. The good deals seem to be in the mid to upper $25's, but I don't know if that includes a protection package or not.
    The good deals seem to be in the mid to upper $25's, but I don't know if that includes a protection package or not.

This is a good assessment.. Shoot for this number plus tax... Don't obsess over a $300 protection package.. . that is just another number for the dealer to play with, since these cars don't come with any factory options..

You don't need to be "well-informed"... Just know what is a good number, and try to get it.... then don't buy anything extra in the finance office..

The NW area seems to be a tough market for almost any car... You might have to shop more than a few dealers..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• vskvsk Member Posts: 4
    Thanks guys,

regards
    -vsk
    Although he might laugh out of the office you might come back to him with the hold back. Why is it that on high volume cars like the Accord dealers don't seem to mind dipping into that pot of money for a better deal but at an Acura dealer that seems like a no-no.
    $500-750 over invoice seems to be about the best deals out there. If you have a few dealers around you should be able to get $1K over invoice. If all else fails - expand you search area.
  • paul33paul33 Member Posts: 2
    I too am interested in buying a non-navi automatic TSX soon in the Seattle area. So far the best quote I've gotten is 26,400 (if I were to immediately buy the car, which I didn't) from Acura of Seattle including the protection package, but I'm thinking I can get it lower....

Here's the breakdown they gave me of their cost:

$25,353.84 base invoice including destination charge 570
           408.50 pro package
    389.95 PDI (pre delivery inspection...getting vehicle ready for sale)
    ---------------
    $26,152.29 Sales Cost!

And then they said they wanted me to make an offer above that so they could make some profit.

I've never heard of the PDI thing--is that bogus? I also thought the protection package was $300. It seems clear their real cost is lower than this total.

Any thoughts or advice on getting a lower offer? I've told the 3 dealers in this area that I'm shopping them all and will buy from the one giving me the best offer.
  • rbevz67rbevz67 Member Posts: 69
    pdi is bogus, where is the doc and dmv fee? ttl also
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    PDI is just part of the dealer's cost of doing business. If he passes on a specific fee to the buyer for this, it's part of the gross profit.

Does the protection package include the mats or just the trunk tray, mud guards, and wheel locks? If it's all four, the listed price (from Acura Store) comes to $369 plus installation (book time is 0.9 hr). If no mats, think $237 plus 0.8 hr for install. Then again, there's some shop profit in that time, and no telling what the dealer's actual cost is on the accessories.

And for whoever replied about the TTL/doc, etc, I interpreted this listing as the dealer's portrayal of his cost and nothing else.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • paul33paul33 Member Posts: 2
    The protection package includes mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray, dooredge & wheel lip guard. Thanks for the info on that and the PDI.

The price I was quoted, as you (ronsteve) interpreted, was not including TTL/doc, etc.

I now have an offer for 26,350. The dealers around here seem to pretty resistant to lowering their prices.

Realistically do I have much chance to go lower than 26,350? The last dealer I talked to gave me only a $50 lower price than the other one (dropping from 26,400 to 26,350 and the 26,400 was only a $100 drop from the 26,500 I started with at a third dealer...pretty unimpressive increments of drops in price). What's the best strategy? Should I keep bouncing the prices between the 3 dealers (it's not getting me very far) or kind of "draw a line in the sand" and say for example, I'll buy the car right now for 26,000 or 26,150?