Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram - II

Comments

• jerryg5jerryg5 Member Posts: 29
    As a follow-up to posts 324 & 325, are the LT265 tires standard on the 2500 or is it an extra cost option? Is the OH computer calibrated to a certain size tire. If I were to order a truck with the standard tire (no additional cost)and then switch to a larger size after the originals need to be replaced, would the OH computer be messed up then? What is the differences in diameter of the different sizes? Can you accurately calculate the diameters based on the tire identification code marked on the tires?
    Thanks
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    http://la4x4.com/gearcalc.html Using this site I find the LT245/75R16 tire tobe 30.468 inches diameter. The LT265/75R16 is 31.649 inches diameter. So if you had a 4.10 rear with LT245's and switch to the LT 265 that would effectivly change the rearend to 3.947. I have previously seen on the site that it would change to 3.73 effective. So I don't know if these formulas are correct or if I worked them right. ...... Rich
    richinks-
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
    Jerryg5
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

The wipers are fine, don't adjust them. The reason you smell the fluid inside is because you have the HVAC system on - the intake grille is right below the nozzles.

Rich, the formula for calculating ratios is done from the rolling radius, not the height - remember, tires squish at the bottom. It's never exact, but it's close - works out to about 3.80

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
    I still have an unanswered question. If you order a truck with standard tires and then decide to go to a larger size when the originals wear out, is the computer out of wack & if so, can it be re-calibrated?
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The answer to your question is yes it will mess with your OHC reading but the good news is that it can be re-calibrated to read correctly. As with all new vehicles the computer controls every aspect of the vehicle you can change your transmission shift points, timing, speedometer everything on your truck can be changed in the CP. To correct the oversized tires problem you can either have a automotive shop ( I dont say mechanic shop because they dont do that anymore) plug a handheld re-programmer into your CP and calibrate your speedometer for the new tire size. You can also do this by purchasing the handheld yourself ( They are about $350 from hypertech). I hope this answers your question.
  • mrsilver1mrsilver1 Member Posts: 2
    This message is for all cummins turbo diesel owners,found a web page called turbo diesel register and its a great site for information on all your diesel questions and I mean all your questions.
    What ever you want to try these guts have tried it. I just purchased a 2000 ram and had a lot of questions and they have answered them all.
    Just trying to help all diesel owners and any questions you may have.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
  • mrsilver1mrsilver1 Member Posts: 2
    SORRY GUYS, I should have given you an address on that web page www.turbodieselregister.com
    THANKS AGAIN.
  • miked555miked555 Member Posts: 27
    I just ordered a 2001 Dodge 3500 with Cummings Diesel. My wife talked me into the automatic, i've had manuals all my life. Is this a mistake switching to the automatic? I'm also getting the anti-spin differentials with the 410 rear. The dealer told me that the 410 is a better choice with the anti-spin differentials, is this true?I will be putting a camper on the truck and pulling a 19 foot boat or a motor cycle trailer with 2 large bikes. Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • bmckenziebmckenzie Member Posts: 118
    Mike,
    I think if I had to do it again, I would have waited for the 6 spd. My 5 spd does pretty well but there is a gap between 3rd and 4th. The problem with the Auto is you lose 40 ft.lbs. of torque 420 vs 460. It does'nt matter if you have 4.10's or 3.54's with a Limited Slip, it still works the same. If you are pulling heavy loads it makes sense to have the 4.10's, but if the majority of your time is without a load you should consider the 3.54's. I enjoyed the simplicity of my 1998 Ram with an Auto, but my Y2K Ram Sport Cummins sure pulls with the 5 spd, and gets good Fuel Mileage...........Bill
    Bill, thanks for the advice, Most of the time I will be without a load. lets put it this way I do alot of fishing on the beach in 4WD without the camper However in the summer I put the camper on and spend the weekends on the beach or camping, pulling the boat. Am I going to be able to do this with the automatic? or do you strongly sugest the 6speed. I am going to change back to the 354 rears monday because most of the time the truck will be without a load. However I'm still confused about the Trans, and I don't want to keep making changes, the dealer is going to think I'm some kind of nut. Not that I really care when you spend this kind of money for a truck you want it right the first time.
    Mike,
    A few lines up Mr. Silver posted a web site: www.turbodieselregister.com this is a great site for information, alot of experience is shared on that site. I feel if you are tired of shifting you should go with the Automatic, I like the fact that a Manual is somewhat maintenance free, fluid changes and a clutch every once in awhile. The five and six speed have a Granny first gear that is incredible, I put it in 4 Low 1st gear and can walk next to my truck. My wife would have preferred the Auto. but who drives the truck 95% of the time, she has her car. Mike as far as the dealer goes who is buying the Ram? not them so order what you want, but if you get the six speed be prepared to wait awhile for delivery. There are alot of people who use the Auto. for large loads, and for the most part have not have problems, when I talked the Service Manager at my dealership he said Auto. problems where very few. I just did not want to give up that extra 40 ft.lbs. of torque, so I will continue shifting, and if I want to upgrade to the new ECM program (505 ft.lbs.) from Cummins sold by Mopar, my Tranny will handle the torque, the Auto. will not........Bill
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    KC,

After reading other posts, I understand there is a
    price increase. Can you tell me what items went up? The ETH is $5225 MSRP? Is this right?
    Here's what I want to get- 2500LWB QC, 2HH, AGG,
    AHC, AHJ, ATK, DEE, DHG, DSA, GFD, and of course
    the ETH.
    Do you know if the prices of those options
    increased from the 2000 pricing? Please excuse my
    brevity, but you probably know the codes.
    It is now crunch time with going to the
    dealership. I just want to go in there with the
    right prices in mind (on paper) and not have some
    salesperson saying that certain items I've chosen
    have inflated drastically. Invoice prices on
    options are 15% less than MSRP prices, right?

I really appreciate all your help on this. I've
    been researching Rams, diesels, negotiating, and
    pricing since 4/98 and I want to completely prepared.
    KC,

After reading other posts, I understand there is a
    price increase. Can you tell me what items went up? The ETH is $5225 MSRP? Is this right?
    Here's what I want to get- 2500LWB QC, 2HH, AGG,
    AHC, AHJ, ATK, DEE, DHG, DSA, GFD, and of course
    the ETH.
    Do you know if the prices of those options
    increased from the 2000 pricing? Please excuse my
    brevity, but you probably know the codes.
    It is now crunch time with going to the
    dealership. I just want to go in there with the
    right prices in mind (on paper) and not have some
    salesperson saying that certain items I've chosen
    have inflated drastically. Invoice prices on
    options are 15% less than MSRP prices, right?

I really appreciate all your help on this. I've
    been researching Rams, diesels, negotiating, and
    pricing since 4/98 and I want to completely prepared.
  • ramman7ramman7 Member Posts: 5
    You guys seem to be faily knowledgable about the Ram, here's my quandry. My 99 2500 QC long bed with the 5.9L and auto w/OD and a 3.54 gear produces just 10.7MPG highway. Engine turns at 2000 rpm @ 65 MPH. Today I pulled the clean paper air filter out and ran it for a day without the element. I got 12.8MPG with no filter, yes I took the same route as my other mileage test. My dealer cannot confirm or deny that 10.7mpg is a valid mileage number for the 2500 series since he says no data exists for anything other than the 1500 (which is rated 12 to 18MPG). Your thoughts on the mileage and your thoughts on the filter removal. Is the air box on the Ram that restrictive? Thanks, Ramman7
    mrsilver,

Been a member of the TDR for a while now - both Dodge and Cummins actively promote the club on their corporate websites. It's just one big happy family, and I never hesitate to re-up my dues each year.

miked555,

For 2001, both the 5-speed and automatic have the same horsepower/torque rating (235/460). This was (finally) accomplished by the fact that the Cummins is computer controlled, and thus can do a "spot" detune during shifts, rather than having to detune the entire engine for the same purpose. The advantage of the manuals are lower initial gears, which depending on your needs and habits may or may not be necessary for you. I would agree that the 6-speed is better if you want to shift for yourself; the gears have MUCH better spacing. The automatic will require frequent regular maintenance behind the Cummins - every 12K miles. As for ratios, either way, limited slip is a must.

nascar,

The MSRP of $5225 is the only hard price I know at the moment. The remaining options should remain about the same, and the vehicle itself is expected to go up a few hundred dollars.

By the way, I did get your holiday e-mail - thanks!

ramman7,

Two things working against you:

First, the 5.9 is a tad underpowered for the 2500 and 3500 in my opinion. Even using cruise control, you're still trying to move a 7000 pound "brick", compared to a 5500 pound brick in the 1500. If an engine is working too hard to move its vehicle (i.e., your right foot is further diown into the carpet), fuel economy will suffer.

Second, yes, the air system is tight. Many people go straight to a parts store for a K&N setup, and they almost always report better fuel economy.

kcram
  • mictromictro Member Posts: 29
    KCRAM-

Off hand, do you know what a K&N setup goes for? Also, how difficult is it to install?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I don't want to appear stupid but what is a K&N setup? If the system improves performance, why don't the manufacturers install the system at the factory? Wouldn't they want to do everything to inprove mileage? Is there a trade-off?
    Thanks
    I emailed the tech support over at K&N and they confirmed my findings of a restrictive paper air filter. They market a cotton filter that is oiled with a MSRP of $60. I found it at Summitracing.com for $42. The filter (P/N 33-2084) is a direct replacement for the paper element in the 5.9L air box, no mod's required. K&N has been around a long time, so I believe their claims of 33% more flow and 97% efficiency in SAE fine dust removal.
    I am starting to question exhaust efficiency now as well and I wonder if loosening that up would provide a few more MPG (headers or just a free flow from the converter back?). The dealer recommended synthetic oil, specifically Amsoil as well.
    K & N seems like a good value @ $42 bucks. I spend that on one tank of gas and if I add 2MPG I recover the cost in five fill ups, that's two weeks for me.
    I imagine the reason for not installing it in the factory is because it would provide little or no value to Dodge. Think about it, you and I are going to buy that truck cause we like it. Why should they spend $40 on a filter per vehicle when a $2 filter will do for the masses. Truthfully, how many people actually question the mileage numbers, not many so why incure the expense in Dodge City.
    Other thoughts??
    Regards, Ramman7
  • mictromictro Member Posts: 29
    Ramman7 (or anyone else who knows)-

Is is fairly certain that one would improve their mileage 2 MPG with a K&N Air filter? Also, is there any increase in HP with a switch?

For the record I have the 5.9L gas engine in my 2500 Quad Cab 4x4. I agree that one could quickly recover the cost of the switch, especially with a 2MPG increase! Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.
    I agree with you. MOST everyone buys that truck because they like it, not for fuel efficiency. All problems about Rams seem to be magnified here, because this is a forum that invites people with computers to share Ram information and sometimes to vent their frustration/problems. Don't get me wrong I think that's a good thing. When people have problems with their trucks, I want to know too, so I know what to watch for. But everyone on here is a small percentage of the total Ram population. I've been interested in buying one of these beasts since 4/98. Anyone I saw in a parking lot with a Ram, I asked them if they liked their truck. Every single one said they did. Most of the answers were "I love it".
    There are companies that put the best possible components on their vehicles, their called Rolls-Royce, Ferrari....
    I have to agree with JCMDIE, when I put a K&N in my former Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4 5.9, I may have say a (1) MPG increase and power was not even noticable enough to talk about, I averaged 10-13 MPG, 16 MPG best (all highway). That is one reason I traded it for a 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins, now I get 15+MPG always, 13 MPG with a trailer.....Bill
    Mictro, not sure if the filter would yield a true 2MPG, but I am sure of the difference from paper filter to removal of the filter being 2MPG. I have to assume that the installation of any filter, even one that flows better will reduce the 2MPG gain by some percentage. The previous post cites 1MPG and I think he's probably right, but I'll take it. I'm searching for anything I can get that is reasonable and cost effective.

Also found a product called Airaid on the net. It is an aluminum air box that replaces the stock plastic box. It is shaped like a big sea shell with a big pipe coming out of it and a HUGE airfilter. Claims to add 15HP and ?MPG, not sure I believe them though. Might work, looks to be addressing the free flow air problem.
    Good Luck, Ramman7
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I put a K&N filter element in my 97 x-cab 4x4 (5.2l). I also have to agree with the previous posts. MPG increase was negligible. I did notice a SLIGHT increase in throttle response. I kept the filter and put it in my 99 Quad 4x4 (5.2l) when new so I can't say if it increased MPG. My guess is probably not! K&N also makes a bolt-on assembly that replaces the supposedly restrictive filter box and duct work with an open air element. Check it out at http://www.knfilters.com/.
  • LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when kcram talked about a K&N setup, I think he was referring to the whole air intake system that K&N builds, not just the filter.
    Loh,

Actually that depends on what your desires are. Swapping to the air filter alone does free up some air flow, and is a darn sight better than the OEM filter.

Going to a full FIPK (Filtercharger injector performance kit) is another story. The FIPK is considered a performance upgrade, as it increases air flow substantially and relies on the engine computer to match the added air with added fuel for better performance.

kcram
  • zanderzander Member Posts: 7
    I have been following this site, turbodieselregister.com, and car-truck.com for some time. I have seen the rumors about the automatic/diesel combination having the hp upped to the level of the 5-speed. However, this is not the case. If you order a 2001 Ram diesel/automatic today, You will get 215 hp and 420 ft/lb torque. I have been waiting since mid November when this rumor appeared to order the diesel/automatic. Per the DC customer service line
    they know nothing about this. Per 2 different dodge dealerships they know nothing about this. Same from the regional sales representative in my area.

So my question to you, have you heard about this from anywhere other that www.car-truck.com ? I have written the editor there asking him for more information, but he hasn't responded. If this is an option "coming soon" I will wait, otherwise I will purchase soon. I dont want a stick, as I have never had a hint of a problem with my 97 automatic, but I would like more (stock) power.

Any input you have would be helpful

Thanks

Zander
  • lonewolf5lonewolf5 Member Posts: 1
    I want to order my 2500 qc diesel but can't decide
    on the transmission. I was leaning towards the auto, but it seems a shame to spend $900 more for a tranny that can barely handle an engine that has
    already surrendered 20 hp and 40lbs torque! Now I
    have swayed towards manual. But if 2001 Cummins are no longer de-tuned I might go back to auto. How much better is the mpg in the 5-speed vs auto, and 6-speed vs 5 speed? Thanks
    Mike all I can tell you is, as of December 28,when I ordered my 2001 3500 Dodge cummins there where no price changes on anything. I went thru Autobytel and it worked out great a dealer near me emailed me the same day with $800 over invoice that I already had added up and they were right on the money. Then I went down to the show room and did a little more dealing and got it for $350 over invoice. With out all the hassles of dealing with a sales men. I hope this helped..... Mike
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    After owning our new 2000 quadcab 4x4 cummins for a month now, and plowing for the very first time with a diesel, when im shifting from reverse to drive the engine sometimes seams to stall. I kinda have to pause it in neutral first then put in gear. Is this normal or should I have it checked out. ALso has anyone noticed the power steering pump seems to be non existence when brarly moving and turning at the same time? Besides this, this truck is one awsome machine, and boy is it one hec of an attention getter!
  • trailblazer2trailblazer2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 5th wheel that weighs 10,000# and has a kingpin weight of 2500#. I would like to get a RAM 2500 (3/4 ton,4X2, QuadCab, V10 engine, Auto Tranny,4.10 axle ratio. This will give me plenty of towing capacity. However, with a GVR of 8800#, the payload is limited to 3420# with a standard truck. I find the dealer and sales people are not too helpfull in giving me a curb weight for the type of truck that I mentioned. I called the Dodge 888 number and I got one person who didn't know what I was talking about. I called again and got another person who seemed to know and gave me a curb weight of 5700# which leaves a payload of 3100#. If this is true, I only have 600# for driver, passenger, tow hitch and a little cargo after subtracting the 2500# Kingpin weight. This means that I am too close to the GVR limit for a 2500 (3/4 ton).

As you can see, this is very critical as I am not interested in a dually which is standard on the 3500 (1 ton) and therefore I may have to look at other brands if the 2500 does not work out.

I know there are some of you who have the 2500 truck that I described. Can you let me know if the curb weight is 5700#

Thanks.
    Trailblazer2
  • wildmanbakerwildmanbaker Member Posts: 65
    That weight may be about right. Our 95 extented cab, weight was 5,600# with a full tank (40 gals) and the wife and I in it, but it was a 1500. The V-10 will weigh a little more, but the rest of the truck should be about the same. Gross weights seem to change allot, our owners manual had the 95 at 7,800# max tow weight and 6,700 max truck weight.

Wildman
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Mike what part of the country are you in ? A cummins here in Massachusetts has the dealers holding the consumers hostage for big dollars ..? Has anyone bought a ETH Cummins Yet ??
    zander,

The automatic/Cummins upgrade was reported by several sources. It would almost seem ridiculous for Cummins to ship 3 separate versions of the engine to Dodge. But I will certainly look into this further and get back to everybody.

kcram
    Dodge Boy,
    I would have the stalling thing checked out, unless you are going straight from forward to reverse without a pause, that is alot of torque to send in another direction without stopping. My Cummins power Steering is the same way, I think it is because of the added weight on the front end from the Cummins engine, my 1500 4x4 QC never did it, but my diesels at work are the same way, you are looking at close to 1000 lbs. more of engine.
    How is your mileage? I just got 17MPG to St. Louis and back (350 miles), I have a Y2K QC 4x4 5spd w/3.54's and 2700 miles on it, it seems to get better mileage as the engine gets more broken in.............Bill
    Mike
    A I'm from New Jersey. There shouldn't be that much difference 4hr away.
    The company makes the price increases not the dealer. My dealer called the company, then emailed me back and told me there was no increases as of DEC 28,99. I would contact Crysler.
    Hey, I saw earlier that the buyer should expect to pay the nat'l ad fee. How much is it? Has anyone negotiated around it?

nascar6
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    bmckenzie,

THe truck doesn't stall when Im shifting from drive to reverse, mind you it does come close but never does, but when Im shifting from reverse to drive it sometimes does, so I think I'll take your advice and have them check it out.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    Ok, I'm off topic but the suspense is killing me. Has anybody heard who the 2nd team for Dodge NASCAR Winston cup 2001 will be? I'm a follower of the Petty team and rumor is they will be the ones, switching from Pontiac to Dodge. Anybody? This is better than thinking about my order being 17 - 18 weeks. I've even lost track. I cann't even remember what options I ordered on my truck anymore its been so long. Rich
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    I ordered my truck on the 26th of Nov and as of this AM, it is in trim status. Should ship this week, I am only 4 hours from St Louis and can hardly wait.

Eric16
  • zanderzander Member Posts: 7
    You can find all the technical information you ever wanted on the dodge truck at the following
    site:
    http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/guide/00ram.htm

Scroll down a little and you will find the weight ratings for all the various models.There is no information in print about the 2001 Ram Yet. However there are no rumors that the weight ratings will increase. Hope this helps

Zander
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Has anyone have an ETH in their driveway ? Does it really exist ?
  • trambitistrambitis Member Posts: 21
    I've read numerous posts detailing how buyers have purchased their new trucks for $XXX.00 over invoice. Many related how they'd bought for anywhere from $100 to $500 over. Sounded like a reasonable, uncomplicated strategy so I decided to try it myself.

Visited my local Fort Worth dealer, told him I wanted a 2001 Cummins QC and that I wanted to cut to the chase right away. Offered him $200 over invoice and he quickly accepted...too quickly, I thought. Anyway, I was quite proud of the great deal I'd driven.

Proceeding along with the negotiations, I suggested that, since I was ordering the truck, I shouldn't be liable for the ad/marketing fee (though, in truth, I expected to pay a fee of maybe $200, in keeping with what I'd seen in various references). Well, without missing a beat, the guy let me know that I'd be paying a Dallas Zone marketing charge of $210 and a Texas truck marketing charge of $320. Furthermore, since those charges were on the "old" 2000 Rams, I could probably expect to see an increase of $150/$180 on the 2001's. So much for my "great" deal.

Questions: (1)In citing your purchase prices of $100, etc. over invoice, are you posters out there including the marketing fee in that figure or is that the amount you pay PLUS paying a marketing charge. I wonder because the marketing charges I'm being quoted are actually part of the invoice. (2) What is a reasonable total marketing charge to pay? kcram, in a previous response to a post of mine, you suggested I'd have to pay a "national" marketing fee but not to fall for a local markup. What say you now, my friend? I expect to be able to negotiate something off that absurdly high $710 my dealer is proposing but wonder how much. Thanx!
    How do you find out the status of the truck?
    From the dealer? Or is there another way.
    Kcram,
    Read Edmunds article on hold backs. The dealer gets 3% of MSRP for advertising and intrest on your truck if you are ording it thats 100% profit and could be negotiated with I didn't pay anything
    and got mine for $350 over invoice. Try Autobytel seewhat they can come up with. It worked for me.
  • shanethismshanethism Member Posts: 11
    I ordered my truck about 2 weeks after you and am anxiously waiting delivery now. I keep getting different storys about the price. How did you manage to get it for the same price as the 2000? The dealer still has to pay the invoice price of the 2001 don't they. I would love to know the details of your transaction if you don't mind.
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    I put 500.00 down and had the price in writing when I ordered it. when thay told me it was going to ba 2001 I asked about any price increase and they said my price was locked in. Just lucky I guess.

Eric16
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    Any word on when Dodge will offer an all-wheel drive system like Autotrack on their pickups? Seems like they dropped the ball not having it before GM since Chrystler has been using it for some time in the Cherokee.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    but I like to have some control over when my truck goes into 4wd.
This discussion has been closed.