Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

winger25winger25 Member Posts: 1
Until last week I was the unfortunate owner of a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali. This vehicle was so plagued by problems that it made 9 trips to the dealer for repairs within the first 15 months of ownership. It had been in the shop 6 times since the first of the year! Each visit was for a different problem and twice the vehicle was inoperable and left me stranded. The service I received from the dealership (Sewell GMC in Dallas) was no better. I became so frustrated with the numerous problems that I traded the vehicle last week with only 35K on the odometer. This was the first domestic vehicle I had owned in several years and I must say it will be the last! General Motors is trying to market this vehicle as a luxury SUV but the engineering, quality and dealer experience are still light years from the europeans and even the japanese.

I would strongly recommend anyone considering a Denali, Yukon, Tahoe, Escalade or even Hummer H2 (they are all built on the same platform)look elsewhere for their SUV needs!

Comments

• orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    winger25, sorry to hear you got a lemon. one in every box.
    I have over 38k on my 2001 and I can say categorically it has been the most trouble free vehicle we've ever owned. I recently had to have the passenger side door lock checked. It was intermittently staying semi-locked. While I was in for an oil change, my dealer looked at it, made an adjustment(no charge) and sent me on my way. Other than that, I've had a belt tensioner adjusted for noise, there were a couple of recall fixes; but no other problems. It has never left me stranded or failed to start, even after sitting for over two weeks.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I would have to echo orwoody's experience. I also had a 2001 Denali. My only warranty repairs were an adjustment to the rear hatch and a bearing repack on the steering column. I was so impressed with the Denali that with the current incentives, I traded in the 2001 for a 2003. Like orwoody, the 2001 never left me stranded and was an incredible ride (smoother than 5 series BMW and S class MBZ that I looked at prior to deciding on the Denali).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a classic case of the dealer not pulling hard enough to straighten the car out and get it squared away for you.

You know, people built it, so people can fix it. This isn't a Saturn rocket. My friend's dealership doesn't send out unrepaired cars through the door. It stays in the shop until it's right for the customer.
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    My dad has a 2001 Denali and he's had only had it into the shop for recalls. We own a 2000 Tahoe LT but let me tell you the Denali is really a step and worth the money (if you can afford it). He has almost 85,000 miles!! on his Denali and let me tell you that 6.0L does what its suppose to.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Would you mind sharing exactly what kinds of problems your Denali had? I own an '02 Denali and I'll admit that it has given me some problems - some I'm still trying to resolve. Thanks!
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone ever had this come on? Just had an oil change and tire rotate and while heading home, I got this light. Could it be something they did during the tire rotate? Also, they told me I should have my FT & Rear Diff Flush, Transfer Case Flush and Trans Flush. This is 2001 Denali with 42k miles. Should these need to be done already? Thanks, Doug
    Make the dealer Check the Autoride shock sensors. I'm betting they knocked one loose when they rotated the wheels. I had this happen. Light came on shortly after I left the garage and drove right back. They fiddled around for about 5 minutes determined which sensor, reseated it and not a problem since.
    I've got 39k on my 2001. So far my dealer hasn't suggested all those services. I don't see the manual calling for a tranny flush until 50k and it just says to check and fill as needed the diffs... I'd be skeptical of this dealer unless you drive the rig really hard.
    Went back and they checked it out. Said it was the right front shock sensor. Told me if it came on again I needed a new shock at $450+. I sent an email to the service advisor to see why the flushes were recommended. I will let you know what he comes back with. Thanks for your input.
  • jdtv0316jdtv0316 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2003 Denali XL after trading in a 2002 Yukon. Since buying the car we have been hearing a cracking and popping noise from the car after shutting of the engine (and also while at idle). The service manager tells us this is "normal for these cars". Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?
    I'd be skeptical they didn't damage the sensor when they rotated the tires... funny how it cropped up so shortly after.
    If you had another GM dealer in the area, I'd be tempted to see what they would say.
    Here is what the service tech told me on the flush: It is recommended to flush the tranny every 30,000; and differentials / t-case every 30-40000. When it comes to maintance for vehicles', GM is our worst enemy, with respects to the owner's manual. GM prints the bare minimum for maint, with hopes your vehicle will wear out and you will need to replace it. As I truck owner who had to replace a front diff. to the tune of $2,000, I personally recommended every 30-40000 on those flushes. I waited until 65,000 by then the damage was done; mainly from the metal particulate that came from the break-in period when it was new. This is my first truck, so I haven't been down this road before. I guess it makes sense.
    I flush everything involved with lubrication (engine oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, etc.) after the first 3,000 miles. (Do a complete fluid exchange, not just drain and refill. If a filter is involved, replace it as well.) You really do need to get rid of the metal particles that are thrown off during break-in - if not, they will come back to haunt you.
  • scottinssmdscottinssmd Member Posts: 16
    Our rear storage area is soaking wet after the rains here in DC. Nothing was left open, and the weatherstripping appears in tact. Would replacing the rubber and silicone to the frame be a wise idea? As a home builder, I am all for silicone for water troubled areas but am leary of doing the same to my vehicle.

Yes, I checked the rear AC. I have kept the back trim panels out for a month. IMO I think its the rubber gasket. Any suggestions or cautions?
  • scottinssmdscottinssmd Member Posts: 16
    I siliconed the rear door weatherstripping, and it worked. I was careful not to allow water to get trapped in the bottom. Less expensive than purchasing a new seal. Only 2.95 for the 100% waterproof tube.
  • dietoselfdietoself Member Posts: 5
    This is a problem board and maybe you are here trying to decide about getting the Denali. My 2003 is a sweet ride. This is after driving the Lexua LX 470, Escalade, Seqouia, LandCruiser.
    Well, I have a small odor problem. I am hoping one of the readers has a great suggestion for removing the smell of gasoline from carpet.
    My wife borrowed my Denali to run a few errands while I was on a business trip. She had to get some gasoline for the generator. After the can was filled she just set it in the back of the D and drove home. Needless to say, it fell over and a small amount leaked out onto the carpeted area. She cleaned and scrubbed and used the Bissell upholstery cleaning machine on it. When I got back I soaked it with Frebreeze. There is still an odor, thank goodness not too strong, but it's there.
    Any good ideas on what might absorb or cancel the odor. (and no I won't hang the little pine trees all around the inside)
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    you are going to have to get the area cleaned up down to the backing, but the Bissell should have done that. spray AtmosKlear to a wet coat and brush it in. that will do it if anything will. findable at www.atmosklear.com, GM parts counters, or Ace Hardware.
    I'll try the AtmosKlear. I would have removed the carpet, but it is tacked down around the 3rd seat hinges and under the side moldings - a major under taking.
  • juice22juice22 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2002 Denali that has a problem with the front axel whining. Has anybody with the same problem had GM perform the following fix?

TSB: 03-04-17-005
    · Replace the front propeller shaft with an internally tuned dampened shaft*

If so, please respond back and let me know what the results were. This seems to be a “Cover Up” solution. Why would the “front end” gears whine while the “rear end” gears are quite? I can’t seem to figure it out and neither can GM.

As always, thank you for the feedback.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Here's TSB #03-04-17-001A - (06/09/2003), which addresses the same condition in REAR drive axles. As the TSB states, some noise is inherent in automotive hypoid gearsets.

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a slight axle whine heard only at certain speeds, typically between 72-96 km/h (45-60 mph).

Cause
    "Inherent" ring and pinion gear whine.

All gear driven units, such as automotive rear axles, produce some level of noise that cannot be eliminated with conventional adjustments and repairs. "Inherent" axle noise can be described as a slight noise heard only at a certain speed (typically between 72-96 km/h (45-60 mph) on most General Motors® trucks). The presence of this noise is not indicative of a functional concern with the axle assembly. However, some customers may find that this "inherent" axle noise is unacceptable.

Correction
    Replace the rear propeller shaft with a tuned torsional damper shaft ONLY after diagnosis concludes that it is an "inherent" rear axle noise and no physical damage or incorrect adjustment exists
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I am looking for TSB 02-05-26-002 on the parking brake. Does anyone have a copy of it or know where I could get it?
    It's a long document, I've edited it to cut to the chase:

Scraping Noise From Rear of Vehicle (Replace Parking Brake Shoe Kit and Clean Drum in Hat Rotor) #02-05-26-002A - (01/28/2003)
    Scraping Noise From Rear Of Vehicle (Replace Parking Brake Shoe Kit and Clean Drum In Hat Rotor)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series Pickups
    2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series Models
    2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Series Models
    1999-2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Series Pickups
    2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series Models

This bulletin is being revised to add Suburban and Yukon XL models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-05-26-002 (Section 05 - Brakes).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a scraping noise from the rear of the vehicle while driving. The noise may be intermittent.

Cause
    Condition may due to the parking brake shoe contacting the drum in hat rotor without the parking brake being applied, causing premature wear on the shoe lining.

Correction
    Replace the parking brake shoe and install a new designed spring clip retainer. Follow the service procedure below to correct this condition.

Yadda
    Yadda
    Yadda.....

Parts Information
    Part Number * Description

88982875 * Parking Brake Shoe Kit

88982879 * Parking Brake Retainer Spring Clip Kit

12346139 (Canadian P/N 10953463) * Brake Parts Cleaner

12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) * Red LOCTITE™ #272

Thanks.
    You're welcome.
    I just got the results back from arbitration yesterday! In summary, I DID NOT GET WHAT I WANTED OR BETTER YET “WHAT I DESERVED”!!!

The verdict is as follows:

Give GM 30 days to fix your concerns. When repairs are completed, drive the vehicle for 30 days and if you are not satisfied we will reconveign the hearing and I will come up with my decision.

This is how it went down:

The hearing lasted 4 hours. (Wow, it was long) I gave my side of the case; GM gave their side of the case BLAH BLAH BLAH. GM did nothing but put up smoke and mirrors. Their main case was claiming that I purposely left me vehicle in the shop to create a paper trail. Please Note: Every time I put my Yukon Denali in the shop I get a Ford Focus to drive. Why would I NOT want to pick-up my car? Anyhow, I used the following problems to support my case:

Noisy drive train: The arbitrator drove my vehicle and recognized the problem. She put in her report that the problem is a manufacture defect and that it impairs the safety, use and value of the vehicle.

Flickering lights: The arbitrator drove my vehicle and recognized the problem. She put in her report that the problem is a manufacture defect and that it impairs the safety, use and value of the vehicle. I also submitted my “Police Warning” issued to me for having a unsafe vehicle. She acted like it was no big deal that I am driving an unsafe vehicle in the laws eyes.

Tranny hesitates when shifting 1st to 2nd: The arbitrator drove my vehicle and recognized the problem. She put in her report that the problem is a manufacture defect and that it impairs the safety, use and value of the vehicle.

GM had their rep drive a new Denali to the hearing to support their case. Reason being, GM claims that all my problems are CHARACTERISTICS of all Denalis. After driving my vehicle, we all drove the new Denali that the rep brought. It performed perfectly. No noises from the drive train, no flickering lights, and tranny shifted perfect. The arbitrator commented to GM and myself that my vehicle has several problems and the vehicle GM brought had NO problems.

Overall, I felt as if I won my case. She recognized all my problems and noticed that the other vehicle (the one GM brought to the hearing) was flawless. Therefore, I was happy because I felt GM’s vehicle helped prove my case. Furthermore, the GM rep stated that he did not want to work on my vehicle for fear of making the problems worse. With all this said the ruling was to allow GM one more chance to fix my truck. Let me state for the record that they have has 3 attempts at fixing my truck and a 4th and FINAL ATTEMPT to fix the truck. Now, the arbitrator wants me to give them a 5th chance to fix the truck.

Any suggestion would be helpful. I guess that GA Lemon Law is next because I do not want them touching my truck anymore. The BBB works in GM favor!!!
    It certainly would not hurt to investigate the lemon law. I would give them the attempt that the arbitrator requested. It will probably fail at which point the arbitrator will probably rule in your favor. Your other alternative is a lawsuit.
    juice 22, you are 80% of the way to getting a ruling in your favor. That is a quicker path to resolution than you would get if you filed suit immediately. In 60 days (30 days to fix and 30 days to drive), you get an award. If you filed suit, you would not get an award any sooner. (And it might take significantly longer....) Unless I am missing something, take the BBB finding.
  • hawk248hawk248 Member Posts: 27
    Last Friday I took delivery of a GM suburban Z71. The price out the door came to under 41K, inlcuding tax. I gave them a check for 15K and financed the rest for 0%. I was glad to see that my payments would be under $420 a month. I think it was a great deal. Until now ......

The dealer wants me to come back and redo the paper work, reflecting a price that would make monthly payments close to $475. They are saying that there was an error in the paperwork and GMAC would not approve the loan.

I do not understand that. Everything is clearly stated in the documents I signed. Everything is normal - all typed up and signed. The only error is that the price is not what they intended to sell the vehicle at.

Just looking for opinons and suggestions. Off course my options are:

1) Re-sign @ a higher price
    2) Tell them that I am willing to return the vehicle if they give my 15K back.
    3) Tell them what is signed is signed ! Would they re-do the papers if I overpaid?

Thanks,
    there was a similar series of back-and-forths a few months ago. basically, it isn't a deal because the third party refused the financing. you have the car by the grace of the dealer, infuriating as it sounds. I would want to know exactly what the error was, who made it, and how in hell come there is another 50 bucks a month involved. if it turns out the dealership signed off as "dan scratch" or something else designed to kill the deal, they need to make you good on one side or the other... the cash and any trade back, or meet you more on your side of the original deal IMHO.

but if all three options they presented are rejected and you sit on the car in the garage throwing things at them when they come around, they can stick you for felony fraud for their mistake.

you want to see the general manager and have it all explained in words of two syllables or less and exactly what they are going to do for you on losing the interest rate. then you take one of the three options. there isn't much in-between.

on my 2000 exploder, my X-plan contribution was not reflected in the paperwork, and I didn't notice. two weeks later, I got a check back. at least some folks do make adjustments your way when they find the errors.
    Do you like the truck? (Most important question, because it determines how to proceed....)

Presumming the answer is yes, then you may be able to press for a "negotiated" re-signing along the lines that swschrad describes above. If the answer is no, then they have to return your down payment if the truck is returned. They may ask for some sort of depreciation charge to reflect the use of the truck, but I personally would let them attempt to convince a judge why they should be entitled to an injury on top of their insult.
  • hawk248hawk248 Member Posts: 27
    I've asked them to submit in writing why the contract should be re-done. They have refused and are insisting that I come into their office and discuss.

I do not want to go to their "office" and get pressured by the entire dealership staff into another contract. That would mean that I have two contracts for the same truck. And I do not want that.

I have reviewed the contract many times. There is no mathematicaly errors. Everything is spelled out clearly and when I signed the contract I was told what the payments would be. I do not think GMAC is rejecting the deal either , because essentially thay want me to take a bigger loan for a higher monthly payment.

The reasons that have given sofar on the phone range from miscalculation on sales tax, GMAC rejecting the deal, "please save my job..." and finally "we will recover the vehicle".

I have no problem dealing with them, but I can not take their word of mouth. I have to protect myself and therfore need in writing what their issue is.
    You are probably at the point of investing some money with an attorney. Have the attorney be your interface regarding the contract. You might even be able to keep the original deal if all the requirements for a deal are in place. I agree that it is starting to sound a bit fishy.
  • lemondenalilemondenali Member Posts: 1
    "Lemon Denali" is not a flavor; rather, it is a SUV made by GMC. I recently won an arbitration at the BBB which GM vigorously defended. The problem was intermittent stalling. It was in and out of the dealer on multiple occasions. They denied the problem existed, despite 5 affidavits and a videotape. My research uncovered numerous instances of power failure on this model (2001), all which were reported to the DOT. The GMC East Coast service representative (Daniel Perkins) testified that this model had no prior problems. When confronted with the documents showing the contrary, his face reddened, he began stumbling over his words, and resorted to calling my wife a liar. I guess this is GMC customer commitment to quality. Arbitrator found in our favor and GMC was require to buy back the car.

To the extent anyone has this intermittent power problem, I offer you sympathy, good luck and my research.
    As lemondenali points out above, the BBB process can work. And, based on lemondenali's experience, GM had to buy back the truck. While it may appear to be frustrating to have to take your truck in for yet another trip to be fixed, this should be the last time.
    Avolvofan

I am cautious to allow GM to work on my truck for the 5th time because of the latest TSB out on the Denali’s regarding noisy drive trains. This is what the TSB says to do:

Diagnose the truck as having a noisy drive train. Then order a “SPECIALTY TUNED DRIVE SHAFTS” for the front and rear of the vehicle. The side note on the TSB says “DO NOT ORDER EXTRA DRIVESHAFTS TO HAVE IN INVENTORY”. PLEASE tell me that NO ONE on this message board agrees that this is the proper way to fix a noisy drive train. I have friends that have Denali’s/Escalades that DO NOT make the noises that mine does. This is only going to cover up a problem for failure down the road. I own a 2001 Camaro SS that I had Richmond 4.10 gears (Richmond is the noisiest gears on the market) installed and it makes less noise than my luxury SUV. Seems as if there is a problem with this situation. GM got the arbitrator to award in their favor by confusing her with tons of TSBs that DID NOT relate to the problems with my truck. I think that trick is called “Smoke and Mirrors”

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
    juice22, if memory serves, you were in arbitration for three major items: 1. Drivetrain noise, 2. Flickering lights, and 3. Transmission shift hesitation.

If installing specially tuned driveshafts solves the drivetrain noise issue, why not do it? GM still must fix the other two problems. This is not a situation where if you try hard, but don't succeed, you still get to pass. If the specially tuned driveshafts do not solve the problem, then your case gets even stronger. (Both in front of the arbitrator as well as in front of a judge.)

If GM is able to fix everything (doubtful), you should still ask for an extension of the original manufacturers 36 month/36,000 mile warranty for the amount of time the truck has been in the shop.

Hope this helps.
    swschard - thanks for the tip on the AtmosKlear. I ordered it and then was traveling on business so much I only got back to the poor Denali last weekend. I worked AtmosKlear into the rear carpet and lightly into the cloth, headliner and other carpet areas. Left the hatch, windows open and a few hours. - WOW like new.
    no connections to the folks, other than they're local, the newspaper guys rave about it, and "it has took that itch away from me" quite nicely a number of times ;)
    What is it? What does it do? Where do you get it?
    it is an odorless odor eliminator solution, which you can spray, douse, or fog down through the fabric of an odor source once any gross contamination is cleaned up. GM parts, ACE hardware stores, Safeway and Cub stores, and the web site at www.atmosklear.com are some of the places it has been availiable. being an independent company run by two guys in minnesota, YMMV any particular moment in time on availiability.

it works. it is not a miracle; two sprays a tenth of a mile from a feedlot will not kill the stink there. you first have to clean up the dead critters, etc. and then get atmosklear to the bottom of every fiber that has the protein compounds that stink to clear the odor. rough cost is ten bucks a pint. there is no formal MSDS as the active ingredient is generally recognized as safe per the makers, it can cause minor irritation to eyes and lungs if you are sensitive, like an asthmatic, as I am. for me, walking through a mist of it is a very minor irritant.
    The BBB is a totally business-supported enterprise. It gets no public money, and it has no legal powers whatsoever, no government connection and no enforcement arm.

Acting as an arbitrator, it can pass down a decision because both parties have agreed that the arbitration will be "binding".

So it is from the two warring parties that the BBB gets the power to render a decision.

For all the above reasons, the BBB isn't like court and it isn't like the Feds or the local DA.
    Shifty, if both parties have agreed to binding arbitration, then the arbitrators decision is final. (And a judgement will be awarded by a court that would have jurisdiction over the matter. It (awarding the judgement) is a relatively simple procedure.) In juice22's circumstance, it seemed that the arbitrator was finding in his favor across the board. In that situation, there was little to lose by proceeding with the last attempt to fix the problems - it only gets worse for GM if the problems are not fixed.

In general, arbitration (if truly impartial) can accelerate a resolution by avoiding the procedural delay that the defense (in this instance, the manufacturer - who has much more resources to throw at the problem) can raise to basically wear down the owner (who usually does not have the resources to fight a long drawn-out lawsuit.) Another alternative for arbitration is the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
    Yes but a judgment doesn't mean the sheriff or the BBB can do anything about the judgment. This is a common misconception, that somehow someone will physically intervene in your behalf. Uh-uh. Many people ignore a judgment just to further annoy you. They play the string out to the bitter end, hoping you will give up at some point. Sometimes you need to hire an attorney to enforce the judgment.
    Shifty, not necessarily. GM seems to be going down the path of binding arbitration instead of litigation. For example, when I bought my Corvette, one of the documents that I was requested to sign was an agreement to submit all disputes to binding arbitration. Whether that is an enforceable agreement would be a separate matter if my Corvette was experiencing mechanical problems and I wanted to pursue Lemon Law relief.

In any event, depending on the law of the state where you are a resident of, awards in binding arbitrations are generally easily converted into Judgements that can be enforced with the Sheriff or other remedies that a Judge can order. In California, the process is a simple motion that is filed with the court. If you have all of the paperwork (copy of the Arbitration Award, and documentation that shows the arbitration was binding) in order, the petitioner will get the Judgement without even having to appear in court.

Net, net, if the arbitration was truly binding, the award can be enforced and very easily. If the arbitration was non-binding, the award becomes an item of credible evidence that can be introduced in support of the lawsuit.
    Yeah okay I think we are saying the same thing. To enforce a judgment you have to do more paperwork, that's all I was saying. Most folks aren't as savvy as you about the process, they think that they are going to be cut a check at the end of the arbitration or that this is "it". That they just sit and wait for a payoff or resolution to happen without their further participation. In reality, these things can drag on awfully long sometimes.
  • thehamtheham Member Posts: 20
    I bought a 2003 denali on friday of last week and have setup my first service warranty problems work on wednesday. Seems like you buy a GM and drive off the lot straight to the service shop. I traded in a nightmare 2002 trailblazer for the denali. I guess I should have learned my lesson about GMC. However I do like the concept and design of the denali but hope I am not in for another long battle with a crappy GM product again.

Here are the problems I currently have for the wednesday service visit.

-Driver and Passenger Heated seats don't work. I noticed they didnt work on the drive home. When you click the button the light flashes and you hear a click from under the seat. This shold be a no brainer fix for the service shop.
    -Tranmission clunk you can feel when stopping the car. This is easily reproducable.
    -When at idle and in drive the car shakes. Not a violent or uniform shaking but a slight shaking with random bumps.
    -Sometime when stopping instead of the transmission clunk. You get like multiple clunks in a row almost like a grind.
    -The windshiled wiper motors or something around the dash make a sounds like a low ptched bird chirping everytime they reach thier apex then come down. Very annoying.

I have seen the tranmission posts similar to mine before and hope someone has some insight on this or a resolution. I believe with the shaking and clunking that there may be a more severe transmission problem. Also it seems that when accelerating the car slams into second abruptly instead of a smooth transition.

After dealing with chevy service shops and knowing how difficult it is to deal with them. I am gearing up as much info and opinoins as possible for the oncoming GM war that I can taste with this car as well.

When will I learn to not buy a GM product.....The saga continues
    Did you do any kind of test drive (other than around the block) before buying the truck?
    Just around the block. I never tried the heated seats so didnt notice that until the next morning. And the tranmission problems only occur after the car is warm and driven for a bit. Yes I am an idiot I should have test driven it more. But also whan driving a new car its hard to realy pay attention through the excitement of getting a new car to focus on problems. Anyway it sucks that a consumer has to basically use a test drive on a new car off the assembly line to diagnose problems instead of enjoying a new car purchase.
  • kbmortonkbmorton Member Posts: 8
    I work for Verizon Wireless and therefore can get a GM Supplier discount (Verizon supplies the On-Star network)which is 1-2% under Dealer cost. My wife really likes the Denali XL. I would prefer to purchase a 2004 Nissan Armada or Toyota Seguoia because I have not seen the number of posts concerning problems with either of the above SUV's. However my wife loves the Denali.

Based on any of your experience (can see a number of Denali's that went to arbitration)would you purchase a 2004? I would be very interested in hearing your responses.

Thanks,
    kbmorton. It is really up to what you like and could potential deal with. All cars have the potential to have problems(In my experience GM vechicle are more likely to have problems). However my wife has a loaded 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE and we only have one problem which is a cracked manifold. However with all of the complaining on here there are many other people who may not have problems and like their GM vehicle. Here are my impressions of the denali after a week of ownership.

Some Pros:
    Has plenty of power.
    Handles extremely well for the size SUV it is.
    Great sound system.
    Comfortable seats.
    I like the exterior looks

Some Cons:
    Besides my problems listed earlier.
    Interior fit and quality does not seem to be up to par for a SUV in the $40's. Out pathfinder with leather feels and looks like a more finished product than any GM product I have owned.
    Second row seats are hard to fold down when driver seat is back and bind against the back of the driver seat when all the way back.
    Gas mileage of course. but who cares if you can afford the truck. Minus environmental concerns.
    No commitment from GMC to stand behind their vehicles. Be prepared if you have any problems with this vehicle. the service shops may be nice but GMC will not be.

Hope this helps