Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• rtcagertcage Member Posts: 9
    Relax.

I looked at the GS on the Lexus website. I'm not sure if I'm a late bloomer on this one, but the 360 degree image program on the site is absolutely amazing!
  • cars_r_mecars_r_me Member Posts: 2
    Hey,
    You should bring in Cadillac STS V6 for a balance comparsion.

cars_r_me
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    You Should get a 2005 Lexus GX.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    No problem :) An '01 GS430 loaded with ML and NAV actually is quite a good deal right now. Unlike the new GS430 apparently, it CAN do 0-60 in under 6.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I drove an LS 430 at the dealer's. Didn't like it and tried the GS 430.
    Much more to my liking. A sporty driving experience.
    Acceleration excellent-similar to my BMW although my car has a 6 as opposed to the 430's 8.
    Steering very good. Very well-weighted. Just short of BMW but almost imperceptible. The LS 430's steering is way too light.
    Brakes were powerful. I had no trouble stopping smoothly.
    Seats only average. Could use a little more front legroom.
    The trunk is very narrow and small.
    Did not like the wood steering wheel even though it had leather on the sides.
    Also hated the gated shifter. Tedious!
    The exterior I found unappealing. Looks very bloated.
    I would probably take a pass on this particular vehicle but if you are looking for a sports sedan in this price category, the GS 430 deserves to be driven.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Brakes on the GS430 weren't touchy as Edmunds found on theirs? Wood steering wheel, you know different color leather seats come with different wood, maybe another one more to your liking. About the trunk, my recollection from comparing the GS to the M at the auto show was that the trunk opening on the M35/45 was far narrower than on the Lexus.
    Not on my demo. I think powerful should be the word here. Maybe Edmunds' testers aren't used to powerful brakes. Anyhow, I had absolutely no trouble with the brakes.
    I don't know about the M's trunk but the Lexus opening is very narrow but opens into a fairly deep trunk given the shape of the car. Golf bags will have to go in clubs first(or last).
    The steering was really impressive and the ride was quite well-balanced with decent acceleration-not overwhelming power-but decent. A refreshing contrast to the flabby, light-steering, poor turning LS.
    The biggest compliment I could give it is to say it was very close in everything that matters to my BMW. Hey we BMW people have been suffering with small trunks for years.
    Lexus appears to be on the right track.
    Check out the canadian automotive network website(www.auto123.com/en) for a comprehensive review of the new GS 300/430-just posted today.
    I drove the 430 today and was very impressed.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    "Hey we BMW people have been suffering with small trunks for years."
    Thanks for the reference to the Canadian review of the GS. It's a bit of a puff piece, though, with scarcely a word of criticism. The reviewer notes the generous headroom in the rear. Huh? And he accepts Lexus' acceleration claims uncritically and in fact says that Lexus is usually conservative in their estimates. Au contraire.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I cant say for certainty about Lexus claims about acceleration, but Edmunds.com seems much slower than the rest. Their Honda Accord V6 took 7.5 seconds to reach sixty, everyone else tested the vehicle at 7 and under, for example.. same with the Camry 3.3L V6... and a bunch of others.

~alpha
    alpha01, Lexus acceleration figures are exaggerated. We know that because we took the official Lexus claims from the previous GS and compared them with numerous tests from the car mags, Consumer Reports, etc. They were all slower than what Lexus claimed. But what's a half a second between friends?
    Just priced a GS 430 on Edmunds-a whopping 16% spread between invoice and MSRP. $8000 in my case.
    They godda be kidding.
    Anyone buying this car now for MSRP is absolutely getting fleeced.
    On the other hand, a comparably equipped M45 has only an 8.3% spread. $4000 in my case.
    Food for thought.
    Lexus dealers arent the richest in the country by accident.
  • sportbikessportbikes Member Posts: 2
    pricing for the GS and others can be found at kbb.com. I just took possession of a 2006 GS300 with the Nav package and like it. Had a 98 GS300 previously, and of course I'm sold on Lexus for reliablility
  • sportbikessportbikes Member Posts: 2
    the 2006 GS300 manual refers to and the diplay references Video display, but it doesn't work?? Without asking dealer yet... my thought not available in US for liability reasons? Anyone know... does the DVD video actually display a movie?
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Yes, the video will only play when the vehicle is stopped, but the audio will continue playing when the car is in motion.
    Sportbikes, can you compare your new GS with your '98. You're probably in a better position than anyone to be able to compare the two cars.

Could you compare ride, handling, power, comfort, interior, room, etc?

You were able to get the NAV without the ML?

Is yours AWD or RWD?
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I have been waiting for this redo for a long time. I have a '98 GS that i love. It has never had a repair (only general maint) going on 7 years. I sat in the new one yesterday, well i tried to sit in it. I am 6'2". They took out over two inched of headroom compared to my 98. I have about three fingers of room over my head in the 98 and am smashed against the headliner in the 06. Also My shoulder is smashed against the B-pillar with the seat all the way back. They forgot americans might be bigger than the average Japanese i guess. There is no way i could even think about buying a new one. I am probably gonna just order a new 05 Mustang GT convertible with the retro look and extend the life of my 98 a few more years. That way i have two great cars and alot of fun, and still spend 32K instead of 60K for a loaded 430. Kinda makes alot of sense when you look at it that way. I do wish i was more tempted by the new GS, but it is incredibly tighter in driver room. The back seat looks "closer" to the front too when all the way back.
    Not arguing that Lexus numbers may be aggressive, simply that Edmunds.com posts some of the slowest acceleration times I've seen.

Personally, as a gauge of real-world acceleration, I like the Car and Driver Street Start 5-60 the best, since its a little inappropriate/impractical to be brake-torquing every time you need to merge or get an aggressive launch from a stoplight.

~alpha
    Agree, the 5-60 test is arguably much more useful than a 0-60. Its also interesting that some cars lose only .2 second or so in that test, where as some others can lose as much as a full second or more. Its very telling about how the car reacts to simply being floored.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Did you also notice the way the driveline intruded in on your right leg? I had a '98 GS300, bought an LS last summer, and had a chance today to sit and play with the new GS300 AWD while in for normal service at the dealer. I immediately realized my right calf was striking the side of the drive shaft tunnel, even adjusting the seat forward to get more of a bend I found that my leg was resting on it a bit -- maybe that is the plan, a leg rest for your right leg. LOL Just seems a little snug to me compared to my old one.
    I saw my first purchased new generation GS on the road today, with temporary license plate and all. A Black Onyx GS300 traveling South on I-287 in Somerville, NJ. It looked damn sharp on the road.

~alpha
  • gourmetcfgourmetcf Member Posts: 1
    Love the new 2006 GS300...checked around for best price (standard equipment) $44,669 (not including delivery)...any thoughts?
    Std. equipment GS300 RWD lists for $43+ including delivery. So that's clearly not the best price; also few if any come with just std. equipment. Most have misc. options thrown in. Check out the window sticker again. Where do you live, by the way; 90% of 300s in this region (midwest) are AWD.
  • mg808mg808 Member Posts: 22
    Going to the dealer later this week. Need a GS300AWD. With the large gap in MSRP & Invoice should I even bother going and attempting at making a deal?

Can't see paying MSRP or $6000 more than Invoice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Being a new and '06 model I think they're going to try and get MRSP for the GS. I agree with you that with a $6-7k mark-up from invoice, I wouldn't pay sticker price. You have nothing to lose by offering to buy one at a discount, especially if you make them know you are cognizant of their high mark-up. Let us know how you do.
    Perhaps hint that your also considering an RL and M35? Threaten to go to Infiniti or Acura, and they may be a bit more receptive to lowering the price a tad.
  • freak4mercedesfreak4mercedes Member Posts: 1
    Styling is bland. Seen much better in the MB E350!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though its more, its worth it. Had a GS from 1999, checked out the new one, and got a Benz
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    i see a lot of comparisons between the new gs and bmw. one thing that stands out to me is the existence of the wood steering wheel in the gs. i can't see bmw ever putting that in one of their cars due to the poorer grip wood affords versus leather. the car looks sweet, wonder how it compares on the handling front...
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    My brother's 525i, I believe, has a factory wood steering wheel.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I guess to each his own. I think the GS is much nicer inside and out than the E350. And it will almost certainly be more reliable.
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    Does that include the ML/Navigation? If so, that is a good price. I live in Atlanta and the dealers all seem to be quoting MSRP....
  • proacmanproacman Member Posts: 5
    The main reason to buy a Lexus is for reliability. If Lexus had the same reliability as Volkswagen they would sell 3 cars.
  • stebrostebro Member Posts: 21
    We've now driven the Lexus GS 300, GS 430, Infiniti M 35 and 45 and Acura RL. Our impressions (obviously subjective): The RL is a nice car but not up to the others in comfort and handling. The GS 430 not only has a bigger engine than the 300 but it handles much better. The Infinitis are sportier--harder seats and harder ride--but they have a certain "wow" factor that the Lexus models lack--more sophisticated electronics, more luxurious interior, more spacious. We like the local Lexus dealer and the Lexus reputation for quality, but are leaning towards the Infiniti.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    "If Lexus had the same reliability as Volkswagen they would sell 3 cars."

What ? Sell 3 cars ??? I'd say they'll be lucky if they actually sell a single car !!!
    Yeah that would be a bad year wouldn't it.
    Can you imagine that board meeting?
    "Uhh, sir, we only sold 3 cars this year."
    "Our greatest success was in the USA where we sold 2 vehicles-both LS 430's."
    "We also did okay in Canada -selling one GS 430, probably due to our successful re-design."
  • gsguygsguy Member Posts: 1
    OK, I picked up my GS430 (Mercury Metallic/Ash) last night here in NJ. What a sweet car. First impressions IMO after driving it for a ½ day…
    +++ Acceleration is great. Just have to watch the speed. Before I knew it I was cruising along at 90mph; Cabin is very quite; ML quality is much better than the ES300 I turned in; impressive and cool interior lighting (superbright LEDs).
    --- no spare. The claim is with run flat tires you don’t need one. You think spending close to $60K on a car, you’d get a spare tire; feature changes (sequential light timing, etc.) need to go back to service to have them change, why can it be customer changeable.
    Overall Lexus quality feeling is still up there along with the preformance.
    Oh yeah! The mercury metallic(silver) looked dynamite in the brochure.
    Test drove a 2006 GS 430 last week(black onyx, black leather) and was impressed. Excellent handling and steering. Brakes stopped it on a dime.
    I will wait(not easy) to see if they come down off MSRP. I have until July.
    Right now there is a 16% spread between invoice and MSRP(about $8,000-the way I would equip mine).
    They are making a ton of profit right now on this car.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    After driving the GS300 at two dealerships I told both that the car was underpowered. I complained that Japan got the 280 hp GS350. Strangely both dealers told me a bigger engine was on the way, possibly by the end of this calender year. They couldn't confirm the engine size but they both definitely said more power was on the way.

When they introduce the new car, what impact will that have on the resale value of the current GS300? I'm afraid that the magazine reviews will say "this is the engine the car should have had from the beginning."
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    The arugument we heard from Japan was that the 3.5L was still being tweaked for the US market and would not be ready by the time the GS debuts here (March 05). SInce Lexus already pre-announced an IS350 for the NA market, I am sure they'd bring in the GS350 as well. Methinks it will be a tough sell for Lexus to have a 300hp IS and a 245hp GS, with the latter priced $8-10K higher. Won't make too much sense to me.

And that leaves the question you asked unanswered: what happens to resale of the new GS300 if the GS350 comes in within one calendar year ???
    I can sort of understand (but not excuse) the terrible quality of the VWs coming out of Mexico. However, the fact that the Toureg scores as bad as the Jetta is just pathetic. Its like they arent even trying.
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    just went to bmw website. the 525 has a leather wheel. i think they all do, leather just looks and feels different than wood. i think in a small way the steering wheel tells a tale of different target customers for bmw vs. lexus...
    For what its worth, I've never, ever seen a BMW with a wood steering wheel as standard equipment. As others have said, a big, glossy slab of wood isnt very sporting friendly, and thats kind of what BMW is all about.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Resale value will not be affected by an engine change so soon after launch (it actually won't be so soon as I've been told the GS 350 will come out in fall 2006). The ES 300 changed to the ES 330 after two years and there was no effect. When the Mercedes E-Class was redesigned in the mid-1990s the bigger engine was the E420. It was changed to the E430 after one year with little effect.
    I'm not so sure the change from GS300 to 350 will not affect value. The ES analogy is probably faulty. Unlike GS buyers, ES buyers are not particularly interested in performance, so they couldn't care less about a small change from 3.0 to 3.3.
    Thats not really true, going to the ES330 made a major difference in sales at least.
    I don't know what the sales change has been since the ES went from 3.0 to 3.3. And even if sales have increased, we don't really know whether it's due to the bigger engine, better deals on the ES, bigger sales for Lexus in general, or just what. Hard to isolate all these factors. What is certainly true is that when the IS comes out this fall with a 3.5 engine, there's going to be a huge discrepancy in the Lexus lineup between the IS and the GS300.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    between the ES300 and ES330 is that both had/have adequate power and appeal to a luxury not sporting buyer and at a lower price point. The GS300, however, being at a higher price point, and being somewhat underpowered, will be upstaged more by the GS350 when it appears. This will give more potential for its (GS300's) resale to take a hit.
    Agreed, carnaught.

Also potentially undercutting sales of the GS300, sporting buyers cannot help seeing the tremendous media play the new BMW 330 is getting. The car mags are thrilled and grateful that the 3 has been "spared" the 5 and the 7 treatment, and that the "ultimate driving machine" is even more ultimate now. The new 330i and the GS300 will be competing in roughly the same price teritory, the mid-40s.