Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• mspsmsps Member Posts: 2
    Our Supercrew brakes started squealing at 28,000 miles (mostly open freeway miles between Washington state and Arizona). Since we've only owned Chevys before, we couldn't believe the brakes were anything but dusty. At 30,000 we had to have complete front brake replacement and the rotors turned. Is this a common problem with the F150 trucks. If so, we're in for some expensive driving....
  • mspsmsps Member Posts: 2
    In your posting #950, you mentioned to check alldata.com for information about brake line problems. I have been unable to find the information, please help.
  • supercrewfansupercrewfan Member Posts: 8
    Go here and click on your year then on your truck, it should tell you what you want to know.

http://alldata.com/recalls/index.html

• supercrewfansupercrewfan Member Posts: 8
    Our window isn't snug either and some rubber gasket material is sticking out in spots and you can push on it and it moves. Guess I go to the shop and also have the "clunking" and "refusing to shift to another gear" and "what is all this gunk on the front wheels" looked at. Not even 8000 miles yet.
  • af2c32af2c32 Member Posts: 6
    Any F-150 SC drivers getting an Extended Warranty? With the brake and transmission problems it might not be a bad idea. I hear they had a new warranty--they will refund the un-used portion of the warranty when it expires? Any thoughts!
    Found these TSBs on the alldata.com site.
    01-13-7, 01-11-7 Transmission 4R70W Clunk Noise on 2nd to 1st gear downshift or delayed or no 2nd gear shift. 01-15-6 Heater Core--repeated failure. Safety Recalls: TSB # 01S10 Driver's Airbag Replacement, 01S11 Front Brake Hose Replacement. You should be able to ask your dealer about these recalls and TSBs using these numbers. Let me know if you get any response from Ford to fix any of these items.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Extended warranty when I picked up my 02 SC for $950 from the dealer. ( Premium Care 0 deductable
    5 yr/75000mi.) It serves double duty from the get go, dealer doesn't offer free loaners, but the warranty picks up the cost for a loaner when in for a coverage service. I use to never buy warranties, but I got stuck from GM, which my rear axle had to be replaced on a Sub. (aprox $3000) since then, I have bought an extended warranty, if you happen to trade or sell your vehicle, you can always get a refund for the unused portion. What do they call the unused portion on an expired warranty. If it's expired it's all used.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    I read that the Supercrew may be coming with a 4.7 L turbo diesel with up to 400ft pounds of torque.

I wonder if this would be a better towing option with higher milage to boot as compared to the 5.4?
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I have gathered info from you folks here for weeks as a lurker. Now as an owner I figured I would speak up.

Just purchased the truck 10 days ago. Traded in a 2000 Impala that had sub frame troubles from 9k miles. 46+ miles on the car at trade in, just 3k miles after GM replaced the complete sub frame under the Impala under warranty.

A couple of observations since we also own a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x2, 5.3 motor, extra cab truck too. We have had zero trouble with the Silverado in 18k miles. No engine rattling, oil burning etc.

The Chevy has more "get up and go", but the Chevy also has better gearing than the Ford. The Chevy has 3.73 rear gears with a 3.06 first gear in the trans. The Ford has 3.55 rear gear and a 2.84 first gear in the trans.

The chevy does 17 mpg (low 17 to high 17) with me driving. The Ford is doing 14.8 mpg , but only has 700 miles on it. My wife and I carpool to work , so each truck sees the same type of driving.

I've been a mechanic for decades. Mostly automatic transmissions for several years now. So the Ford is set for a few shift improvements. My Chevy had 900 miles on it when I changed a few things in the trans in it.

We like each truck for different reasons. The Ford is a Lariat package, so it is more plush than the LS level Chevy.

I will probably lower this truck slightly (2 inches). I had lifted 4x4 trucks in my 20's & 30's and have no need for that now.

So far in the Ford I have disabled the seat belt reminder, got the radio speed volume control set ( after the dealer told me the truck did not have that feature) and I have been looking at lowering kits, tire and wheels too.

I talked to my dealer about the radiator issue. You folks already know what I was told. "The truck has the correct radiator per Ford specs ( 1 inch core)." Next year I may check on the cost a larger unit I if think I need it. The summers here in AZ get a bit warm and towing tends to add to the heat.

No need to tell me to force the dealer to install a larger radiator in my truck for nothing or at cost. It ain't gonna happen. One service rep does not even return my phone calls after only 10 days of ownership.

I have been in email contact with the service manager on my concerns with the truck and radiator.

Tony
  • atlanta4atlanta4 Member Posts: 51
    Congrats on your new truck. Just a few of my own random thoughts:
    Our truck has close to 9000 miles & so far not a mechanical peep out of it. Once we came to grips with the fact that it is not a minivan & therefore we should not expect great gas mileage it has become a non-issue. That, plus the fact that regular gas is running 92-94 cents a gallon here in Georgia makes it less painful at the pump.

As far as the engine. At first I thought that Ford could do a little better than 260HP from a fuel injected V8. After further consideration, when you consider that torque is what's really needed to move a load - 350 ft/lbs is pretty good from an engine that's less than 350 cu. inches.(Apologies to those of you math whizzes out there who've calculated the exact conversion). From what I've read, this engine (5.4L) has earned a pretty good reputation for durability. Also, it must be designed pretty tough if they put it in the Super Duty. So it's not a Corvette or a
    Boss Mustang - it's more than adequate to get a 5000lb truck (plus a trailer) moving & keep it moving.

As for Ford customer relations, I think they've done a pretty crappy job over the past several years. That could be what cost Nasser his job as CEO. My dealer has been fairly accomodating but I'm still waiting to hear about the radiator recall.

Just my 2 cents
    I believe the CID is 330 on the 5.4 motor.

Most recent tank of gas gave us 15.8 mpg. We don't drive like old farts, not like maniacs too often neither. We have not broken 1,000 miles on the Super Crew yet. Certainly cannot compare apples and oranges on the mpg thing. Gas here in metro Phoenix Az is around $1.12 a gallon.

A long time friend has a 2000 5.4 powered F-250 super duty with 4.10 gear. He pulls an enclosed 24 foot trailer(sand rails/toys) about 5 times a year. He says the truck is under powered for the load. I tried in vain to get him to buy a power stroke. I guess with his limited towing, being under powered a little is fine.

I must add that "under powered" is his words. I have never riden in the truck with his trailer hooked up. It may pull just fine, he may expect more from the truck possibly.

I am confident that the Ford will serve us fine like the Chevy truck has done.

So far the Ford store has not gone out of it's way for me on the radiator issue. They tell me a letter will come in the mail.

Tony
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    just got a Supercrew Lariat (leather seats). With only a few hundred miles on it I couldn't get over how creased and "used" the driver's seat looked. Looked like my Wife's Explorer with almost 40k miles on it.
    I came from a Y2k SD CC 4x4 with the 5.4 & 4.10 L/S, it pulled just fine for my purposes and got fairly decent gas mileage for the size of the beast. The 5.4 in my SuperCrew is just fine, I have 3500 miles on my 02 XLT 4x4 FX4, getting around 15 toolin around town and close to 17 on the highway. I heard they were boosting the 5.4 in 03 up to 300-310 hp. During the time, I had my SD, the place where I bought never went out of it's way to make your experience with them pleasant. When the interest rates got down, I decided to dump the dealer for good, found me a good dealer, that also gave me a good deal on an 02 SC, so here I'm today driving a SCrew. When I had my SD I thought the SCrew was too small but I have found out it works just fine for me.
  • zsharkzshark Member Posts: 3
    My brakes started squeeking around the 8000 mile mark. I mentioned it to my delear and he said that we should hold off and monitor it. At the 12K service I asked to have them replaced and the dealer did not question. I am now at 21K and beginning to hear the same thing I heard at 8K.

With 0% financing I am looking at moving up to a 2002.

Recalls: I had my recalled for a wiper motor that may catch fire. 2 hr replacement.
  • buckmaster1buckmaster1 Member Posts: 20
    I just traded in a 2001 Gmc sierra Ex-cab with a 5.3 for a new Ford supercrew with a 5.4.While I think the 5.3 was peppier around town I know the 5.4 is a real Truck engine for towing.I do not have to rev it up or wait for revs like the 5.3 to get going.The 5.4 just pulls pulls pulls. I am not a brand loyal guy-I just go with whoever has the right product for me at the time.I will say this though,Gm really gave the new generation of trucks the shorter cheaper end of the stick.The old generation Gm had crummy brakes but I have to say those trucks felt solid inside and the frames flexed less.The interior parts are terrible.The door panels pull loose too easy,the rear wing doors shut like crap and the bed bounces over bumps.I would buy another Gm product if it fits my needs,but the interior was way too cheap for 31000 dollars.I also noticed the body panels fit pretty crummy.fender was misaligned and the doors are welded to the hinges so you really cant correct a bad day on the assembly line. I thought I was just going to live with it.I did not have a knocking motor yet (6200 miles) and I drove this truck real hard.While the 5.3 is fun to beat up you soon realize that tearing [non-permissible content removed] aint everything.A balance of good stuff is better than 1 good thing.I love the Ford fit and finish-interior is just a good as my Lincoln and all the body panels are as good as a Hondas.The 4 full doors and still being able to haul stuff and fit it in my garage for under 30 grand make this a no brainer. A Gm crew is too big-too long and 37 grand with the same options as the Supercrew.I will put anything in my 5 1/2 foot box that I would put in the 6 foot box.What do I care it sticks out,if I have things to do thats the way I will get them home-too bad for whose behind me.The Fords 5.4 tows awesome-just pulls pulls pulls!!.I dont have to rev it like the 5.3 camaro motor when I tow my utility trailer.My kids fit in the back great and cant kick my arms anymore when they are in thier car seats(I will really miss that on trips-not).After a 4-12 shift my 6 foot friends can hop in the back without a circus act to get in and out like the extended cabs(all of em suck for that).And you know what-this Black Supercrew looks bitchin from any angle.Gm is missing a good sales market segment. I know a lot of guys who feel the same way I do about garging a new vehicle and getting your moneys worth,and right now Gm is missing the mark.This is going to be a great truck.
    The fit and finish is nice on my 2k Silverado. Welded door hindges do make you wonder about adjustment. Interior finsh is similar on both trucks. The Chevy has a better dash/gauge package IMHO.

I wanted a real 4 door truck. The xtra cab 4 door trucks suffer from loose doors and wind noise after the newness wears off. My friend with the 2k Super Duty F250 has a 4 door xtra cab. His doors have started the wind noise from needing a little adjusting now.

I am a life long GM guy, although I own a 1961 Dodge Lancer , a Ford 1962 Falcon and others (12 vehicles on hand).

I could not buy a GM truck like I wanted, a 1/2 ton real 4 door truck. The HD 1500 is really a 3/4 ton unit(8200 gvw). I did not want a tougher ride that comes with 3/4 ton trucks. It seems every 1500HD GM I looked at was a 4x4, I have no need for a 4x4. The salespersons could not get 4x4 out of their heads. The wife and I walked away.

So off to Ford we went and we could not be happier.

Although the 5.4 does sound a bit like a small diesel motor in the mornings. The middle aged crowd here may remember the "piston rattle" from the muscle car days when early forged pistons would rattle on a cold start up.

Tony
  • mglittle1mglittle1 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2001 Supercrew Lariat 4x4. Since it has 17" tires is difficult for the wife and kids to get in. Can anyone recommend some good quality chrome tube step ups. Also I am looking for some molded mud guards that work and look good.

Thx.
    Westin makes several different models of tube type step ups. Can't comment on their quality b/c mine has the factory cab steps but have read several posts from people who were happy with them. They also make a stainless steel model.
    Husky make mud guards to fit the S'crew. I've seem them on a couple trucks and they look OK.
    Cab height does take some getting used to but my kids think it's fun to crawl in & out of my truck.
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    if you have not looked at these for your truck, i have never ever seen or had a floor mat that worked as well as these. My dealer was also a hunter and had them in his screw.. I got a set and they are woderful. they FIT, stay in place, and catch everything. great investment.
  • zimzamzimzam Member Posts: 10
    Have any of you guys or girls ever heard of a product called a Tornado Fuel Saver? It suppose to increase your gas mileage and power. It 's a metal object that you put in your air inlet to your carburetor. That makes the air swirl in instead of just flowing in straight. There is a web site for this product at http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com/info/. So is this just another gimmick product or has anyone tried it and it worked for them?
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i'm sure it's a gimmick. otherwise every truck maker out there would use it to get their corporate fuel economy rating up...
    intakes are built in a similar fashion. There is also a PowerAid unit that goes along with the AirAid intake that does basically the same thing. I can't say it helps but there IS something to the concept.
    I had a guy at the ford store telling me that the poweraid spacer would give me near 3mpg more on my 5.4 Super Crew.

As a mechanic, drag racer and street rodder for a few decades, that's when I knew he was full of cow muffins.

And the statement about the manufacturers raising the mpg rating on the trucks by 2-3 mpg easily, they would do it in a heart beat to meet the CAFE standards. Then they could sell more big trucks.

Chrysler worked hard to get the PT Cruiser listed as a light truck with the federal boys. That way they can sell more of the larger trucks since the PT's mileage is higher it offsets the lower gas mileage trucks.

MPG on our truck is at 15.4 so far, only 1300 miles on it. I did add a repalcement K&N filter recently. Most of the fresh air kits pull hot engine compartment air instead of fresh outside air. I'll wait and see if better kits are offered.

I did a 2/4 drop on our 01 Super Crew and the ride quality did not suffer.
    I've noticed the S'Crew seems to sit unusually high in the rear compared to other 1/2 tons.
    BTW, I don't have the spacer but have the AiRaid on my Sierra. If anything I may have lost a little mpg. The figures have bounced around so much it's hard to be sure, but it definitely is not higher!
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    I get mine on Wednesday,I will let ya know how it fits,looks.I added the head liner,and light to it.
    It is for a 2001 King Ranch Supercrew (green)

BTW....

If you're looking for some weatherflectors for your door windows get the WEATHERTECH brand.
    They fit into the trim around the windows and look awesome.
    Here is the link http://www.mats.com
    CROSLEY4....What kit did you use to do the drop?

I used Western Chassis parts to lower our truck. Coils in the front and new leaf spring front mounts with longer shackles at the rear of the leaf spring.

The kit I bought from Performance Suspension in Phx came with the Doetsch Tech shocks. Several different people told me to use the Doetsch Tech shocks over others.

The rear spring mounts and shackles come with 2 different positions, 2 inch and 3 inch lowering. I used the 2 inch on each.

I may install some 1 inch blocks to give the truck a bit more rake from rear to front. Seems backwards to lower the truck , then add blocks to raise it a little.

I did need to add some 4 degree shims between the leaf springs and differential pads to correct the angle of the rear u-joint. The cheapy aluminum shims from Western did not please me, so I machined some from steel plate.
    Thanks for the info. what was the aprox cost?
  • zimzamzimzam Member Posts: 10
    Well we had our first snow here in Oklahoma and I got to try out my 01 S'Crew 4X4. It handle like a dream on both the snow and the ice. There were times when other trucks were not getting any where and I was able to drive around them with no problem. Sure am happy with this truck. Oh I didn't leave the other guy stuck, he was able to back down the hill and go another way. The only thing missing is that this truck needs air ducting for the back seat.
    How our Super Crew looks slightly lowered.

Tony
    Is that color the Arizona Ash or something like that? I like it.
    is the name Ford puts on it. Does not look like beige to me.
    are the trees in my yard. Looks a little like a darker Pewter. Nice color anyway.
    I have Texas ash trees, while living in AZ.

We wanted the Metallic red color that Ford has. We drove an xlt truck in the color we wanted. The tires shook the truck awfull, they were flat spotted from sitting I guess.

Then we found this Lariat truck with the equiptment we wanted.......poof! we owned our first new Ford.
    great color.....it is what i got and doesnt show dirt bad at all.. and I get it dirty.
    The color depends on the light..sometimes it looks gold, sometimes almost a brown color. I am impressed with the pic..I have tried to take a picture and the color never comes out.
    I almost had to lower mine. I have a 4x4 and a couple inches higher and I would not have been able to get it in the garage.
    The fit is great,paint match is perfect.
    Head liner looks great,easy open & close.
    Go and get ya one!
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Can anyone give me the specs. from Ford's service manual for 2001 F-150 power steering adjustments? I'm not sure what Ford calls them, but GM terms are:

1. Ball drag
    2. Bearing preload
    3. Over-center preload
    4. Total preload

All figures would be lb.in. Thanks.
  • shovelnshoveln Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Screw and I like when the doors automatically lock when it's put into gear, or at least relatively soon. The only part I don't like is that I have to manually unlock the doors to let the kids out of the back seat, only because they don't want to lift the manual lock. Does any one know how to make the locks automatically unlock once the truck is shifted back into park? Or if the ignition is turned off?
    shoveln,

i hear ya...but i don't think there is a way to get the locks to "unlock" automatically. you might be able to install some aftermarket devise that would accomplish this...
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Why doesn't Ford offer these options on the SuperCrew or SuperCab? Living in Washington State, it's a nice option to have on foggy or cold damp mornings & nights.

Does anyone know if Ford will make these options available or can be installed after market?

rcoos
    I am considering putting on dual exhausts.... no good reason except I would like them.... does this affect warranty and does anyone have a recommendation on a brand... cost?
    I dont want really loud ones...just a good sound..
  • rm13rm13 Member Posts: 46
    Just a note for anyone agonizing over this decision. I had a Generation I Screw 4x2 with the 4.6. I replaced it after 15,000 miles. I consistently got 15-15.5 mpg on an average tank. Trips to FL or the Carolinas were 17-18mpg.Trips to the mountains were about 15 mpg. I now have a 4x2 with the 5.4. In town tanks running approx 14-14.5. On a recent 1000 mile, I got 19 mpg on the relatively flat (rolling hills) portion and 15.5 mpg in the extreme mountain portion. The 5.4 was much nicer in the mountains and unwanted downshifting was nonexistent (unlike the 4.6).
    Re: Heated mirrors. I agree why can't they put them as an option? They've got those turn signals on the mirror so doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to add if customers are willing to pony up for the cost. I thought they were frivolous until I got them on my new Acura last year during the winter & boy were they nice after a freezing rain.

Re: Duals. Flowmaster makes pretty good sounding low restriction mufflers compatible with most newer models. I doubt it would affect warranty as long as they don't mess with the convertors or sensors. Might be good to check with your dealers service dept first since that's probably where you'd take it if something breaks under warranty.

Re: Bedliners. I saw a Dodge truck today with a brand new over the rail Line-x bedliner and it looked really good (the bedliner that is!). Has anybody had one of these installed in a Supercrew? How much did it cost & did it look good? I'm thinking of taking out my drop in bedliner because of all the stories of rust underneath those things. Plus my dog has a hard time standing back there because of the deep ribs in the drop in liner. What do you guys think?
    my trucks (GM's) for 13 yrs. now and never had any problem with a Dealer over warranty coverage. But then I've never had a problem that could be remotely connected either and that's the only way they could NOT cover it. Not sure about Fords but Flowmaster does NOT recommend "true duals" on the new GM's. It reduces the backpressure too much. I always used a dual outlet 50 series and they sound great. They make a complete cat-back, bolt-on system but I always bought the muffler at a performance shop and had a muffler shop install it and the dual pipes. Be sure to use aluminized pipes. They don't rust. Borla also has a very good (and great sounding) system that is all stainless steel and costs more. There are several other brands as well.
    Actually not a problem with the truck ,but with people that own similar trucks, I guess.

My wife was at the grocery store. She comes out to the truck and finds the bed nearly full of large empty Kellog boxes that the cereal is delivered to the store in.

Some body must have thought they were putting the boxes in their truck. I can imagine the look on their face when they came out and found the boxes sitting on the ground.
    Can anyone suggest parts companies to get the following additions for my S-Crew: Bed-liner (spray-in type), mud guards, and side steps. thanks
    on my 02 Screw at about 28 degrees, they make this horrible noise, I have been told by explorer owners that ford says this is normal, I never had brake noise like that on my Super Duty. This only happens for about 15 minutes at start up then they are fine, what gives?
    on our Explorer in 6+ years. It does get to 28 here on ocassion. Matter of fact it was 27 this morning!
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Hi. When its cold out sometimes when I step on the throttle it doesn't go down. It does go down when I stomp on it hard though, then its fine after that. It has happened to me twice this year and a few times last winter. This year both times were just after starting it in the morning. Last winter it happened in the morning and when I tried to go at a stop sign. Also last winter I had a few problems starting the truck in the morning. Has this happened to anyone else? Can you tell me whats wrong? Its a 2001 4.6. I've been to ford but they couldn't find anything wrong. Thanks!
    h1vc,

i'm presuming you have the power adjustable pedals? i've found that if you adjust the pedals so that they are "not" all the way down, then the accelerator won't stick...this phenomena happened on my '01 s-crew as well as my new '02 s-crew...go figure.
This discussion has been closed.