Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Corvairmaven...This is what I got via e-mail from Thompson Toyota in Doylestown Pa.

Cassis Pearl 2005 Avalon Limited with the following optional equipment:

50 State Emissions (FE) {No charge to you}
    Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control with Brake Assist (VD)
    Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat Set (CF)
    The MSRP on this 2005 Avalon Limited is $34,929. Our selling price to you would be $33,206 plus tax and tags.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    I got my baby in the garage!!!!!! I'll give more details when I have the time but I got exactly what I wanted and for a fantastic price!
  • jkosugejkosuge Member Posts: 21
    Hey tajah.
    I would like to know where you bought your Avalon from.
    And is the $29500 including all the taxes and fees??
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    We recently order a new Limited in Blue Mirage. We think it looks great. I liked the Titanium, Phantom Gray, or the Blue Mirage. In reality the Blue Mirage is a great compromise between the Titanium and Phantom Gray. Ours will have a silver and gold stripe applied by the dealer. We saw one there earlier and it really looked sharp. FYI, there is a picture of a Blue Mirage car in the Avalon brochure. It is near the center on a page that show the four models. It is at the top back left. It is not a great picture, but I think that you can get the idea and it is a good comparison between it and the Silver Pine Mica, Blizzard Pearl, and the Phantom
    Gray Pearl. Color is very subjective and that is why they make different ones. Henry Ford once said of the Model T, "They can have any color they want as long as it is Black." Thankfully it is not that way anymore!
  • tajahtajah Member Posts: 10
    I purchased from Allen Toyota in Gulfport, MS. I also had the same price quoted from Toyota of Hattiesburg (MS)

The $29500 was before fees which in MS are $199.00 & $10 & tax (5%)

Tax is calculated after trade so the tax was only $600 & than payoff added back.

Out the door price was $30,309 TTL, Fees, Etc.

The car was a Touring with options of $3000 approx. - Invoice $29056.56 - Sold @ $29500
  • courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    If you think it is fair it is o.k. I would like to see the price $500 over invoice with no other fees other than freight + tax. This car is new and only been o the lots for a couple months. It is to early to get a truly good deal. Time will tell, when inventory builds the prices will come down. Personally I am going to wait for the 2006 model.
    Good Luck!!
  • tajahtajah Member Posts: 10
    Ok Mark, I'll do that. If you're over this way, there's a place in Pascagoual called Rob's on the side. It's even better than the Shed. The difference is the sauce all over versus the sauce baked in. Both are good though I agree. MSRP on the Avalon was 32192.00 plus Tax, Title, Fees, etc
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    For pictures of a Blue Mirage Avalon see my post #2477 in the Avalon 2005+ discussion.
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi:
    XLS w/VSC, JBL stereo, floor & trunk mats, glass breakage sensor, wheel locks:
    final price after sales tax (5%) was $32,400, which included $540 delivery, $100 dealer bogus fee, $212 for manadatory (in my state) 2yr registration fee and title and tag fees. MY price included a $527 TDA chage (advertising fee) which I thought was non-negotiable in my state, Maryland (maybe I'm wrong?). Either way, the MSRP on this car was $33,493, and my in-the-driveway price was still $1,093 dollars below MSRP.

It wasn't easy getting this deal. Went through 3-4 area dealerships and finally negotiated over the phone with a manager to get this one. Too tired to type out the details right now. I should have been asleep an hour ago.
    Regards,
    Deanie
    P.S. I wanted to wait for the '06, but family circumstances required a purchase now instead of later this year. Hold out if you can.
  • impartialimpartial Member Posts: 19
    What was the sticker (MSRP) price of your Avalon, including destination charges? And what was your actual price paid, breaking down costs for the car, fees and taxes? Sounds like you got a good deal. Impartial
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    agree it is absolutely supply and damand driven. Toyota is purposely holding back inventory to dealers, driving up prices, which is normal on a new model. I believe in about 6 months as inventory builds it will be much easier to get a reasonable

Why would Toyota hold back supply? They don't care what the dealer sells the car for, they will always get the same no matter what. Supply is low right now because demand is high. If Toyota could deliver more cars they would ,but they are pushing all the manuf plants they have to the limit.
    Hi Impartial:
    $30,557 (includes $540 destination) + $100 bogus fee + 1,532.85 tax + $210 2yr registration fee = $32,399.85.

The MSRP including $540 destination was $33,493.00.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    Thanks. :-)

Hmm...It's a lot closer to gray than I thought it would be. Will need to see in person.
    Congratualations!

I think that sounds like a pretty good deal considering the demand.

What is "glass breakage sensor"? What option is that?
    Hi Alphawolf:
    The glass breakage sensor seems to be mandatory for XLS's in my area. It's a sensor in the left side of the driver's footwell that detects the sound of glass breaking (thief breaking a window) which triggers the car's alarm system.
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • sbriggssbriggs Member Posts: 3
    We are wanting to buy a blizzard pearl limited but can't find one (fully loaded with all of the toys). One dealer told us that they are considering charging a premium fee. Is there any advantage to ordering what we want or should we hold out until the 06's are out....and when will that be?
    So who did you talk to inorder to get below msrp. I'm in Texas too and want the limited in blizzard white with all of the toys....any suggestions or names. I would appreciate some directions. FYI: That mall thing doesn't work for me.
    So mevande,Have you now purchased. I'm in texas and I can't find anyone willing to deal with dealers price vs, MSRP. It's frustrating with getting my limited model (with Nav & toy options). How do I present my counter arguement for a lower deal?
    Thanks for any info....I'm having anxiety attacks....over the whole process. I usually end up paying what they ask and kick my self all the way out the parking lot. Ugh....help me kind a nice agent who'll make me a super anywhere close to Texas.
  • teltel Member Posts: 6
    I am picking up my Titanium Avalon XLS this afternoon from Ourisman Chantilly Toyota. I had several dealers willing to negotiate but Chantilly had the color I wanted and options in stock. I would highly recommend this dealership, especially the internet group. There was a miscommunication on price between the internet salesman and the manager but it was cleared up with no argument from the manager in a phone call. Stand up guys over there. On top of it, I got a very good deal. If you want the details, please e-mail me. Good luck!
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I do not live in Texas and don't know exactly where you are but recently I was on a Toyota dealer's website in Richardson, TX and according to them they had 113 Avalons in stock and about 25 of them were Blizzard White.
    Quote:
    "Hi
    Where are you moving from? The dealership is Precision Toyota in Tampa ......If you happen to be living now further north and want a good deal Toyota in Elizabeth City No. Carolina has even lower prices 500. over invoice In both cases though you have to deal with the internet sales folks........
    Good luck :D"

I thought I'd add that their website (which I never looked at really), has MSRP, INVOICE and also a SELLING PRICE which is now exactly $3000 over invoice. :-(

Dean
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    YOu have to email the Internet sales manager and he will email you back the prices Where did you say you live? ;)
    Oh, I see. :-) So, special prices for those who are most geeky. I'd proceed to use the Internet Mgr initially for all the dealers. I have the name of the Mgr at Central Florida Toyota from when I was looking into a Highlander...which looks pretty nice in all black Limited with chrome side bars. Saw one at Pep Boys parking lot and was surprised I was impressed at the look of an all black Highlander Limited.

I've yet to see a new Avalon around here.

I live on Long island NY right now. I move down to Florida next Wednesday the 27th.

I did a lot of printing out of spec sheets from the dealer invoice for the Black I decided I'd probably want. Printed a TMV work up from here. Configured one on Toyota's site, etc...

Invoice for both the Avalon Limited with nearly all options except DVD Headrest players and a Highlander Limited with ALL options possible come to $34,400 or thereabouts.

Edmunds TMV report shows that in area code 32835 (smack in the middle of Orlando) people are paying $37k and change.

I'm hopefull the Internet sales dude will take good care of me. I'm wondering if any of you have found that a mention you are active in this forum and would like to give their Dealer a great review here has helped?

Anyways, I'd like to be out the door with a total of $35k with lots of goodies.

I've even watched nearly all of the cool maual at mynewavalon.com!

:-)

Dean
  • ccriderccrider Member Posts: 26
    Need help quick!!! Been offered $2,000 off sticker for '05 Avalon Touring. Sticker of $31,089. My research shows that invoice is $27,578, but the dealership invoice shows$28,170, which included the holdback ($572), advertising fee ($594), and financial reserve ($286). I guess the research on here exludes the advertising fee ($28,170 - $27,578 = $594). Is this a legit cost or should I not have to pay for that? Said they get the holdback money, but they don't get the advertising fee or financial reserve. At quoted price, it would be about 3% over invoice price. They'd be making a little under $1,500 altogether ($845 + $572). What do you all think? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi CCRider:
    Short answer, yes, the advertising charge is legit based on my research, but the charge varies from region to region (type in "tda" in the "search this discussion bar" below the messages to learn more). I can understand your exuberance, but I'm of the opinion that unless you might be able to save a little more $$$.

Certainly your deal is not bad if you've read this discussion and learned what others have been paying for Avalons. In my mind there's at least $250-350, if not as much as $400-500 between what he's offered to you, and the lowest price for which he's willing to sell. What's the worst thing to happen if they outright refuse to lower the price? They say "no", that's all, and you're no worse off.

The thing is, you have to know how hungry the dealer is. How many Tourings has he in stock? Are Tourings hot in your area? Are you willing to "buy today" if he agrees to your price? Dealers are typically busy on Saturdays, so if you're one of the first there, and are ready to buy today, and are willing to walk out if he refuses, you will likely get some $$$ knocked off their offer.

Another thing to consider is that if you're financing the deal through the dealership, they will be making profit from the interest you'll be paying on the loan above and beyond what you've already mentioned, and while the salesman doesn't see that profit, the dealership does, as does the finance guy, and it will be that much more in the manager's interest to see that you buy your car. So, if you let them know in advance that youd be financing, they'll be more flexible with the price. But if you act desperate, they'll know it and won't budge.

If you don't feel the few extra hundred is worth the trouble, relax, take their offer and enjoy a great car. Hope I've helped.
    Regards,
    Deannie ;)
    Very much so. I'll be paying cash. I'm also considering a trade-in, which they've offered me about $500 less than what I think it's worth as a trade-in. Live near the Toyota plant in Kentucky. Thanks again for your help.
    It basically comes down to a previous dealership offering me $1,000 under sticker and $1,100 under what I believe my car is worth, compared to this dealership offering me $2,000 under sticker and $500 under what I believe my car is worth. Needless to say, the second offer is better than the first. Have one or two more quotes to get, but I really like this dealership. Sales manager is a straight shooter and a likeable guy, unlike many of the slimeballs you run into.
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Member Posts: 48
    Hello all! I picked up my new 2005 Avalon on Wednesday (04/13). It's a base XL model, Blue Mirage Metallic in color with gray cloth interior, carpet floor and trunk mats, and an in-dash six CD stereo. The MSRP is $27,289. I managed to negotiate $2,475.00 discount off sticker, buying the car for $24,814.00 (plus tax/fees). They also threw in a cargo net for the trunk ($30), installed molded splash guards ($40) and gave me a small can of touch up piant ($5). I had purchased a new Toyota Sienna from this same dealer about 6 months before, and sent two more customers their way since, so it appears that they gave me a favorable deal on my new Avalon, or at least I felt that they did.
    Sounds like you got a great deal!! Best of luck with your car
    If you could post a pic I would love to see the color!
    I wondered what part of the country do you live and wondered what you think about th ecloth seats I have not been able to find an XL inthe area All the XL's have upgraded leather

Good luck with the car :)
  • corvairmavencorvairmaven Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure where you're located, but Dick Milham Ford, Toyota, Saab in Easton, PA had two Phantom Grey Tourings in stock last week and one of them is still showing up on their web-site: www.milham.com

2005 Toyota Avalon 4dr Sedan Touring Price: $31,309
    Invoice Price: $28,260
    MSRP: $31,309
    Transmission: Automatic
    Engine: 3.5L 6 cyl Fuel Injection
    Exterior: Phantom Gray Pr
    Model Code: 3538
    Stock Number: T18551
    VIN: 4T1BK36B85U009151

Good Luck.
    Here's my Maxima offer:

MSRP - $32,750
    Trade-in + discount off sticker - $5,700
    Additional Maxima discount - $1,000
    Total discount off sticker $6,700

Avalon offer:

MSRP - 31,089
    Trade-in + discount off sticker - $4,500
    Total discount off sticker - $4,500

The Maxima offer seems to be at about invoice while the Avalon looks to be about 3% above invoice. Both these offers not including what the holdbacks each would be receiving.

Any advice on which way to go?
    Hi Cappy4103:
    Well bought! Think about the envious lot who've bought Accords or Camry's for as much or more than you paid for the superior Avalon! Enjoy!
    Regards,
    Deannie
    Hi CCrider:
    The difference between your two deals is only $539 if my math is correct, and the Avalon's higher resale value will "way more" than offset that amount, so from a financial perspective, the Avalon is the way to go. Sounds like Toyota's hammering you on your trade-in. Try to get Toyota to offer more for it, or sell it outright to Carmax for more if there's one in your area.

Aside from my Avalon, I own a 96 Maxima SE. Consumer Reports rates Avalon and Maxima as having excellent reliability. Assuming we're comparing apples to apples, you're looking at a Maxima SE vs the Avalon Touring. I shopped both cars too. The Maxima handles a little better than Touring, and is slightly less comfortable, but I got the impression that the Avalon is slightly more structurally solid, better screwed-together, and has a nicer interior than the Max. Avalon is better on fuel, is more powerful, and I think better-looking, especially when looking at both cars from the rear three-quarter view (Nissan blew it on the C-pillar design!).

Beyond the above points, it all boils down to personal preference. If you can get Toyota to pay you more for your trade-in, then the Avalon is a no-brainer decision. As it stands, I cannot think of any reason, other than for handling, to buy the Max over the Avalon, but there are a lot more reasons to buy the Avalon over the Max.

If you plan on keeping this next car for 5yrs or less, resale value is crucial (Avalon wins). If charging on-ramps and enjoying twisty two-lane country roads is your thing, Maxima wins. Ultimately, both are great cars in their own right, and you're not going to lose with either choice.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Deannie
    I'm new at this...I have three digital pictures of the car but can't figure out how to post them or how to attach them to this reply, even after referring with the "Help" guide above. Arggh! I know how to attach them to an email if you'd like. My address is Cappy4103@yahoo.com. Sorry!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You have to load the images to a server (like imagestation.com) first. If you right-click on your photo, you can view the properties, which will show you the URL of your photo (the thing that starts with "http://") Then use the "img" button just below the post box to make your photo show up. Hit the "img" button below, then type in the full URL like "http://myurl.com", then hit the "img" button again to finish it off.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Okay, let me try this again...this is a link to three photos of my Avalon at Ophoto.com which now appears to be a Kodak website">link title.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=70012775407&page=1&sort_order=0
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Cappy4103, that sounds like a great price. Are you in CA? I'm looking to purchase an XL in the SF- Bay Area, and they won't go below $1,100 off of the MSRP for the XL with the Blizzard Pearl. I'll just wait a bit more unfortunately!
  • dllfodllfo Member Posts: 1
    First, we love our Avalon and all the other Toyotas we have owned. The MSRP on mine
    was 36,927 and we paid 32,058 plus doc fees ($45); Sales tax, license fees, etc.
    Final cost was $34, 848.98. It is paid off now.

My question for the group is your smog equipment. Around Jan 1, 2005 my check engine
    soon light came on. I called Folsom Lake Toyota (where I bought it - and our other Toyota) and they said bring it in. We took it in at 7pm on Jan 6th and got it back about
    a week later. They were still not sure exactly what was wrong, but they replaced a few
    parts and the light went off.

On April 16th the light came on again. I had just completed the 30k maint. with the
    dealership, so they may have twisted the wrong thing, who knows??

My question to the group is.....does anyone else have a smog problem??

The reason I am asking is that I have a 1997 Chev K1500 pickup that had smog problems for about 4 years. Chev even put a new engine in it, but no luck. They put
    the "sensor machine" in it so that when the light came on I could punch the button and
    store the info. Now - - here comes the interesting part. General Motors sent me a
    letter stating they were have fuel injector problems on engines from ....uh...1995 thru
    2001 or something like that. I called the Calif. Air Resources Board to see if they had
    a copy of this letter and was told no. I faxed it over to them. They were delighted.

Does Toyota have a problem we don't know about? Don't get me wrong, I have been
    a loyal Toyota owner since 1977. We have bought eight or nine Toyotas in that time,
    so I don't want anyone thinking I am bashing Toyota. Not at all. I am simply asking if
    anyone else has this problem, and if so, how did they cure it? My dealer is very nice,
    and the service dept is trying, but I don't want to spend the next 3 years taking my car
    in.

Thanks for your time......dllfo">
    Cappy4103
    THANKS!!
    YOU did a great job posting the pic. Would you say the pics are true to color? The car looks a blue gray metallic
    I cannot believe how pretty it is! I wish I had seen one before I ordered the Titanium
    What part of the country are you in . You got a beautiful car and a great deal Best of luck and thanks for sharing the pics!
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    You may have better luck getting an answer in another forum. Check these out...

Toyota Avalon Owners: Care & Maintenance

Toyota Avalon Owners: Meet the Members

Toyota Avalon pre-2005
  • brichards1brichards1 Member Posts: 2
    I live in MD. I accept no offers from any dealers. I would suggest you research all your options with MSRP and Invoice costs for each. Total the vehicle costs and make an offer that splits the difference between MSRP and Invoice. Then make this your offer to the dealer. You may want to negotiate an extended warranty option as part of your offer. I have been successful at this scheme during my vehcle purchasing history.
    Thank you Angel! I live in upstate NY. In the daytime, the car looks like a tasteful light blue in color. At dusk or on a cloudy day, to me the color looks darker, more blue gray metallic. I guess the pictures really didn't do the color any justice, but I tried :) We are happy with the color...something different from the earth tone beiges, and our 2005 Sienna is Phanton Gray Pearl, which we like. But we wanted something different already having one gray colored car in the garage. You won't be disappointed with the Titanium!
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    ooooo she's pretty! What's her name? Is she single? Maybe she and my Touring can be playmates. :shades:
  • pwein1pwein1 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone tried leasing the Avalon? If so, any advice.

Thanks,
    I'm going to do this within a couple weeks.

You can use leasecompare.com to get a rough idea.

There are no special lease incentives at all, but that's no surprise.

Go to the Lease Forum for more info...

Dean
  • avalonmanavalonman Member Posts: 6
    I recently picked up my 05 Avalon Limited. this is my 3rd avalon. I passed my 99 and 02 down to my sons.

I paid $ 33,631 at Lee's Toyota in Queens, NY. I got the all the options including the Navigation system, Mats Trunk curtain and a full tank of gas.
    How much above invoice?
  • 332rick332rick Member Posts: 7
    In need of some help. I am ready to purchase my first Avalon. The trim I am looking at is the Touring I have the invoice price (27,954.00) / MSRP (31,089.00).

I finally went in and tried to work a deal.
    The best offer they could offer me was 32,000 out the door. Lic & tax + fees included. That was after pulling some teeth and 2 hours later.

I live in southern Ca, so taxes are high to start.
    Normally using 9% to cover for 7.75% tax and Lic fees.

Need opinions, good deal or not? Any other feed back will be very much welcome.

Thanks and, Good luck to all.
    I can tell you more tomorrow. My current offer from dealer is also on MSRP of $31,089 (invoice of $28,160) although I was also going to get heated seats done at the shop for another $199 per seat. So that would be $31,487. Does $400 for heated seats sound reasonable? At $31,487, they came down to $29,487 but my trade-in amount was a little low. I'm going there tomorrow to see if we can get together on a deal.
  • baldzorobaldzoro Member Posts: 5
    To 332rick, So Cal Toyota dealers are not making "good deals" on Avalons right now, at least not by my definition. It's classic supply and demand. They're selling their limited supply pretty easily right now, and there's not a lot of inventory on any of the lots that I've visited (four) in O.C. I have only paid more than $500 over invoice for one car purchased in the last 15 years (an 02 Acura MDX), and that's because I had severe time pressure (shame on me). I heard the dealers will start getting more cars in May/June. If you can, you may want to wait til it get's closer to the end of the quarter and see if they have more inventory and more incentive to discount. Maybe by then, they will have picked all the low hanging fruit. Safe to say the selling prices won't go up in the next 60 days.

Avalon's a good great car. Good luck.

ET