Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued V

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This topic is a continuation of....

Chevy Silverado - III. Please continue these
discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• yowzabikeyowzabike Member Posts: 4
    We have a lot of wise ones here who don't know their dipsticks from their tailpipes.

I was told by a 'dealer' that a manual trans was not available with the 4.8 5-speed and the extended cab long bed. He was lying and won't get my business. Good riddance.

The unfortunate thing is that the 5-speed with the 4.8 is the Getrag designed POS that blows up if you tow anything. I have the same tranny on my 90 5.7 5-speed. Mine has held up fine for 185K miles, but I know no less than five people who destroyed these transmissions, all by towing with it. The 3/4 ton gets the great NV4500, but you also get the bonus feature of 12mpg, which I can't live with. What I really want is the 5.3 with the NV4500, but GM will never build that model, because they would lose too much revenue at $1K a pop for the automatic.

If you really want a good deal on a Silverado, order a BASE model with a 5-speed and radio delete. GM is giving a $500 (retail) credit for manual transmissions right now. (I suspect to improve their CAFE balance, since the manual gets better EPA extimated mileage). Delete the sorry AM/FM radio for another $250 (retail) credit. Have
    a local stereo shop put in a better stereo with CD for the $250 you saved. (You can't get a CD player on a base model anyway).

It looks like this: LB Ext. Cab 4x4, cloth bench,
    A/C (Utah desert), sliding window, dark tint, appearance package,3.73 limited slip, on/off road tires, firm ride suspension, skid plates, high capacity air cleaner, power locks, cruise, tilt steering (std) total: $23,900 (2% over invoice). I could save about $550 if I dropped the chrome stuff, but I guess I'm getting old. The factory chrome wheels look better than the alloys IMHO.

GM is very clever. They withhold certain very popular options from the base model to get people to upgrade to LS, which has all kinds of unneeded additional stuff. They do this with all their vehicles. On the Silverado, the two big options they withhold are power windows (you can still get locks), and a CD player. OK GM. My arms still work for rolling down windows, and the local stereo shop will put in a nice deck for a lot less than your goofy system with the 25 buttons that stick after 7 or 8 years. Been there, done that.

Sorry for the long post, but if the dealers don't stock what you want, just order it. Eventually they'll get the picture or lose market share, which is where GM is at right now.......
  • storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    Well, I have seen all blue trucks with blue fender flares as well. I think that you may get to choose whether you want the flares black or color matched, independent of color.

Kevin
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I started out with similar reasoning. And special ordering is okay, but you can't always have it the way you like in a reasonable amount of time, especially the base level truck. The trucks the dealers carry now were ordered many weeks ago, and they try to equip them for what's best to sell them and make a profit.

I prefer the factory radio, even if, like everything else, there are after market options to save you money, or give you different features.

And if you don't need the LS features, that's fine, but I like them, especially insta-trac, tow/haul. Not necessary for everyones personal need for security or comfort. That's why we have choices.

But whatever problems GM has with its customers, market share in light trucks and SUV segment is not one of them.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    The POS Getrag may hold up better behind the 4.8 than it did behind the 5.7. Torque is what kills a transmission, and the 5.7 had more torque. Notice they don't offer it behind the 5.3 - it can't live with the torque of that engine.

I suspect these transmissions held up better behind a 5.0 than they did behind a 5.7.

Only time will tell what the durability of this transmission is in this application.

So far, I'm happy with the 4.8L 5 speed combination. Plenty of power, fully loaded (6500 lbs) and at high altitude (over 7000') I have to downshift for big hills, but I'm not complaining. Like you, I like the fuel economy of this combination. 15.5 with my camper and 20+ empty.

Scott, you will like the new truck. I hope you have better luck with the manual trans this time.

Mike
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    Glad to see someone finally got it right. If you sit down with a salesman and go through the computer order system you see you have a choice of black or matching color. I tried to tell tim that nearly a year ago but no one lisens. .... Rich
  • unixgodunixgod Member Posts: 91
    How much are those factory painted fender flares to buy as an after-thought. I didn't get them on my Z71 and want to buy them. Any idea?
  • jhmullinjhmullin Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of ordering a manual trans with the 4.8 liter, ext cab, SB, 4x2. I want positraction also. Is this combo possible? Also I see from some comments here there may be problems with the manual and towing. I plan to tow a 4500 lb boat but only on flat ground (NJ)a few miles once or twice a year. Do you think this would be safe for the manual trans? I like the manual to save $$ on first cost, and on gas and I don't mind shifting. I have had manuals on most of my cars and light trucks (Ranger and Nissan)and have always been satisified.

Any comments would be appreciated. I plan to use the truck for light use ie, driving to work etc.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Unix it all depends there are many kinds. The ones i have seen in the performance products magazine that look very nice are $273.20 Another brand bushwacker are $259.60. so id say no more than $300. You can buy them from the dealer like the factory ones exactly the same dont know exact price but they are easy to install yourself so probably a little cheaper than factory price.
    Storch i am very good friends with a salesman talk to him everyday you dont get to choose the color of the flare they must have been painted by the dealer. I dont care think what u want i know for a fact.

Ryan
  • leos1leos1 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my 99 4x4 4.8 5-speed x-cab back in may and i suspect that even though i dislike automatics i that i made a mistake. It has terriblely low tow ratings and it is not because GM thinks you are an idiot that does't know how to drive. They have bent over backwards to make it difficult to tow with it. I had a factory rep tell me that they really didn't want people towing with the manual due to " warrenty problems ". You can not get a trailering package no matter what your dealer tells you and Chevy will not do anything to help you wire for trailer brakes. The driveshaft is the same hollow unit that is on the automatic and it echos a clunk up it from the rear end when you shift. I suspect that the only reason chevy offers it is so they can get an extra grand out of the 90-plus percent who order the optional auto. But if you must have a manual you should order it now because i think that there are not many years left that they will even ofer one; GMC already only sells autos in their 1/2 ton.
    If you don't plan on towing; on the highway the truck runs great with the 4.8, I live in the Rockies and 3rd gear wins on the passes. The 4.8 likes to rev and you can still get 20 mpg on the road. It's to bad that Gm hasn't spent the effort to refine it. leos1
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Yowzabike - With the configuration you originally stated, the manual trans is not your only problem. Getting a 1500 xcab LONGBED is another. They are extremely rare. I ordered mine (same config, but with auto trans) back in July and still don't have a build week. If I had gone with the short bed, I would have been driving my truck for months now.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I test drove a manual 2500 with the 6.0, so at least one 2500 was built with the manual. It was ordered for a customer who could not accept it for finacial problems. It may have been a 99. I test drove so many they are running together. .... Rich
  • kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    I'm am in the market to buy flares. I actually bought some bushwackers $134.99 front, 134.99 rear. I don't like them they are much taller than the factory, they cover the contours of the fender, I don't like that. I am taking them back and am going to get the factory flares. The factory flares are $170 front pair, $170 rear pair. Many dealers say they are $170 each, don't listen they are wrong! Also, you can buy them in any color you want, this is new! I can't decide which color to go with. I have a y2k 1/2 x-cab, LT, z-71, Indigo Blue. What do you think would lood better black or blue. I have seen the black and like it, would be happy with it. But would the blue look cleaner?

Storch-how did those blue flares look?
    any suggestions would be appreciated
    thanks
    kyle
    by the way, the truck is lifted 4" rancho, all componets are painted black, and tires are black walled. they through road crap so flares are a must.

also, the bushwacker flares I got are the extended flares, they are the same width as the factory flares 2 1/4 in front, 2" rear.
    thanks
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Let's just hope you get the REAL truck that flares were originaly only available on..

AKA...2500

- Tim
  • m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    I have the manual trans in my 3/4 ton Silverado, and i hate that clunking also when you shift gears. I was going to take it in to get looked at, but if leos1 has the same problem in his 4.8, then it probably will never be corrected.
    Yea im getting a real truck tim a 1500 LT ext cab 4x4 Z71. As you can see i changed from an LS to an LT im going upscale. The 2500 are nice but i really have no use for it if i needed a work truck id get on no doubt. I also like the Z71 sticker better than that 4x4 one. Oh and the big reason i wont get a 2500 is the rims i actually really like the aluminum on the 1500 those are real nice but the ones on the 2500 dont look very good to me maybe if they had the aluminum rims on that it would make me buy one.

KANTON: hey man did u order your indigo blue LT? If u did how long did it take you to get it in? My salesman told me i need to order before march now since i am getting an LT and i would like to have it by July. I think i could handle the extra wait though. Please let me know.

HEY no one has answered my question about the 2000 Z71 sitting higher up in the back whats up with this no one knows?????????????????

Thanks everyone

Ryan
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    I had my rear springs replaced on my 99 Z71 LT, and it sat up higher in the rear for awhile, then it settled back to normal height. Someone on this board told me it was normal. Perhaps you saw one (or several) that were brand new or had their springs replaced like mine.

My truck is in today for the back seat noise - it seems to be getting worse. Hopefully they have a fix for it now.
    A little settling of the springs is just normal wear and tear for leaf springs.
    I like the Z-71 sticker better too.....but I'll take the 3/4 suspension over the Z-71.

It's been a long day.....and if I'm not mistaken..

...My 2500 DOES have aluminum rims?.....better design pattern too.

Get the LT.....you won't regret it....especially if you plan on an LS with a lot of options.

- Tim
    The ones i am talking about are the ones that come standard on the 1500 LT models not the ones with the thing that sticks out in the middle like yours Tim they are different sorry i am mistaken they are both aluminum i forgot they have more than 1 AL wheel. U know the ones i am talking about thought tim right? The ones all the 1500's have? I do plan on getting the LT only $1700 more (leather heated seats,mirror,power seats and rear defogger) and if i got an LS with these it would have been close to 3 grand. Hey first truck (and car for that matter) of my own might as well go all out i am working hard to buy it.

Ryan
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    ryanbab, just as a precaution I called in my "rear end sitting about 1 5/8" lower than new". To me, settling this much gives the truck a "sport truck" look (almost level from one end to another). Which is acceptable and I like it, but, if this "settling" continues to the point where my rear end looks like I'm hauling a 1000lbs all the time, this is UNacceptable. When I went to the dealer the service manager said he has seen varying degrees of settling and that if I felt it was too much to call it in and also reference his name & phone #, they gave me a PR #. So far it is still at the same height (since July). P.S. Chev. was willing to replace the rear springs but it's not that big of a deal at this point, so I'll wait n see.

Z71 sticker or the 4 x 4 sticker, I removed my Z71 sticker, my experience with stickers: they either peal or chip...so then how do you repair it? And if you do finally decide to remove it after a couple of years when the paint underneth is like new......you will see an outline of "Z71"...that would be ugly! Oh, forgot about having that nice leftover wax that is usually around your sticker unless you spend a whole lot of time getting it off.

Rims, hate all factory wheels for two reasons: 1) every other Tom Dick & Harry has the same ones you do .....I do not wish to look like the fruit loop next to me at the stop light. 2) they usually only make the rim size 7" wide.....now you are limited on the size tire you might wish to put on.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    ryanbab, just as a precaution I called in my "rear end sitting about 1 5/8" lower than new". To me, settling this much gives the truck a "sport truck" look (almost level from one end to another). Which is acceptable and I like it, but, if this "settling" continues to the point where my rear end looks like I'm hauling a 1000lbs all the time, this is UNacceptable. When I went to the dealer the service manager said he has seen varying degrees of settling and that if I felt it was too much to call it in and also reference his name & phone #, they gave me a PR #. So far it is still at the same height (since July). P.S. Chev. was willing to replace the rear springs but it's not that big of a deal at this point, so I'll wait n see.

Z71 sticker or the 4 x 4 sticker, I removed my Z71 sticker, my experience with stickers: they either peal or chip...so then how do you repair it? And if you do finally decide to remove it after a couple of years when the paint underneth is like new......you will see an outline of "Z71"...that would be ugly! Oh, forgot about having that nice leftover wax that is usually around your sticker unless you spend a whole lot of time getting it off.

Rims, hate all factory wheels for two reasons: 1) every other Tom Dick & Harry has the same ones you do .....I do not wish to look like the fruit loop next to me at the stop light. 2) they usually only make the rim size 7" wide.....now you are limited on the size tire you might wish to put on.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I guess I'm being nosey, but I recall that you said your age was around 20 or so. Do you mind me asking what kind of work you do? I can't imagine being able to afford a $30+K truck when I was that age.
    -powerisfun
    No, I did not order my truck. I got it back in September. I knew exactly what I wanted, called just about every dealer around here (bay area CA) as well as most of northern CA and northern NV, told them exactly what I wanted and then they searched. I found the exact truck just about fifty miles away, so I had my local dealer do a trade, and the next day I was driving it. There were only two of these trucks in the state at that time, the other was in so. cal. I had already done my wheeling and dealing with another dealer, got a price I was happy with, and then presented that to the dealer I bought the truck from when it was sitting right there waiting for me to drive it home. they actually beat the price I was happy with. This was my first automobile buying experience and I was very pleased with how smoothly it went. Suggestion-definately get the LT you will not regret it. I was in the same position, this is the first truck and hey, might as well do it right the first time. that way you have no regrets and don't end up spending more money when you go and buy the truck you should have bought the first time.
    kyle
    I am 23 and just bought my y2k 1500 LT ex-cab z-71 three months ago today. My truck also has a rancho lift, weld wheels and new tires, flowmaster dual exhaust, airaid system, and a line-x spray in liner. I work full time (36hrs)and I go to school full time as well. It is possible for us youngsters to have a nice truck!
    Kyle
    I meant to include what I do for a living; I am a registered nurse.
    kyle
    I liked the blue truck with blue flares ALOT!! I think that is what I will order when I finally sign on with GM! (I'm graduating in December and this truck with be my 1st new vehicle!! Will probably start work Feb. 1 and order the truck the 2nd!! Can't wait.) Anyways, I think that all the trucks look better with body colored fender flares. It just looks cleaner to me. I think that the black ones look like they are missing some extra trim pieces or something. Just my opinion though.

Kevin
  • unixgodunixgod Member Posts: 91
    an LT if I could have gotten all the options it has minus the leather electric seats. No truck I ever buy in my lifetime will ever have electric seats, and probably never have leather.

My LS has every single option available on any of the Z71's minus the electric and leather, and heated sideviews. It has virtually every other option. Would not have bought it any other way.

I am glad I didn't get the LT. What a rip that somebody has to special order a truck to get all the options minus a couple. You can't even order and LT minus the options you don't want. You have to order the LS and "add" the ones you do want. This would have been way more expensive but I flat told my dealer that they would get me the LS loaded up with all the things I want for the same price as the LT minus the options I didn't want or I wouldn't buy.

I got my truck for $27,400 out the door. That was 250 over invoice. Sticker was $30,800
    kanton:
    My nosey question was for ryanbab, but your answer was interesting as well. Working full-time (or nearly so) AND going to school full-time, is pretty impressive. I had to work to pay for college as well, but luckily my parents let me live at home for a very low rent so part-time work (20-24 hrs/week) was enough to barely get by and still get good grades. I drove a beat-up '77 Nova (this was in '86-'90) that was my Dad's second car. Anyway, good luck!
    -powerisfun
    Ok i go to school 5 days a wk. Purdue university mechanical engineer major as of today. Started working at menards (like home depot) a wk before i graduated hs will be 2 yrs in june. Been saving like every penny from that but lately $500 visa bills dont help. This past june i got a mechanical engineering inernship and worked there full time this summer. So i go to school 5 days a wk work at menards Fri,sat, sunday and the internship is tue and thurs between classes. This summer though i worked 70 hrs a wk between the 2. In about 2 wks i will again work full time during my break for the engineering making about $400 a wk hopefully plus menards will be like $125-$150 so thats about $5-600 a wk. As of today i have almost 20 grand cash saved only need about 10 grand more and if im short my grandma will loan me a little bit. I hope this clarifies thingd for u. I drive a 92 S-10 right now and every other couple days a 2000 blazer when my mom doesnt want to drive it so i luck out. And my parents pay for school (no rich comments or anything i know what your all thinking) and i can save everything i make.
    Kanton it wasnt nosey its cool im sure alot of people think oh my god when i tell them i am ordering a silverado in march. Anymore questions???? haha

Ryan
  • teaboy022teaboy022 Member Posts: 59
    HEy all,

I finally got my truck after about... 4 months.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab LS Sportside
    5.3 liter V8 in Indigo Blue.

Just getting it broken in now...

YEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAA
    ~TEABOY~
    You go Teaboy!
    Hell...My first car was nothing like a new Silverado!....75 Catalina..455...$300.

And guys...who cares how much we all make??...I don't feel it's a good way to judge people.

I know...all we asked was what Ryan does...and he told us more...But let's keep $$$$ out of this for Income. I don't care what you make...If you are social here....Good enough for me!

- The Every Other Froot Loop Tim
    ...What a night!

4 Guys...with a hoist..indoors...7 Hours to put on a set of boards and box boards!

4 brackets per side for the main cab boards...2 brackets per side for the box boards. 14 Holes in the Rocker panels...4 holes in the mid frame...and 8 holes in the bed cross frame in the rear to hold the box boards on. What a trip of Fun!

Got done at 12:30....got some grub...and now home and getting ready to hit the rack.

They look awesome....they are built like a brick SHi......
    Cab boards are solid as a rock....box boards hang from two massive brackets....they could be tighter...but without a 3rd center bracket...i don't know how it's going to happen? they move a tiny bit with my tubby [non-permissible content removed] on them....let's hope they don't loosen more??

I was going to leave the S.S.mud flaps off the front...but I know the boards will be loaded with frozen slush if I don't put them on.

Gotta screw them on and do some final tweaking of the boards for alignment tomorrow.

I'll have pics soon for any one who cares.

Sorry to be a pest....I'm happy to see this happen..if you are not....well....uhh....good for you!

LOL

hehheheeee

- Tim
    Once I got rolling and gitting bumps....something didn't seem right...

Then it hit me..

2 of the brackets also attatch to the cab bolts as well as the rocker....and uhh...well....I kinda forgot to re-tighten the Cab bolts!

DOOHHHHH!!!

That would have made for an Intersting day down the line!

I gotta get the heck outa here.

Gonna be one tired pup!

- Tim
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    If your still on this thread, is your truck being built this week, or did GM rescedule it? I still can't get my dealer to confirm that the ZX3 is available. It would help if I could tell him that they are coming off the line. I still don't have a build week, although I have an order# (don't know why they call it a #, it's all letters). I'm afraid that if I try to change my order now, I will have to cancel my current order and start over.

Can anyone tell me at what point I can't make changes without cancelling and reordering?
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I wouldn't worry about it. My 99 is exactly 1 year old this Friday. I did notice some initial sag (to about level front to back) but I also added a fiberglass tonneau cover at that time. Early this spring, I also did a lot of landscaping work on my yard involving hauling many loads of railway ties. (by the way, my old 97 F150 could never have handled the same strain I put on the new Chevy - and it never complained). Anyway, since the 1st couple of months, the truck has now stabilized to the awesome looking level stance (no further sag).
    Since we are discussing college cars, I thought I tell ya about my current transportation. A 1985 Cutlass Ciera with 170,000 miles on her. I've never had a car that had less than 90,000 miles on it. So, I think that I am due for something new.

Kevin
    Since we are discussing college cars, I thought I tell ya about my current transportation. A 1985 Cutlass Ciera with 170,000 miles on her. I've never had a car that had less than 90,000 miles on it. So, I think that I am due for something new.

Kevin
    How did that happen?

Kevin
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    The old Chevy 'Build Your Own' is back.

It is now part of the GM BuyPower site and you can build almost any GM vehicle and print out your results. As before, no invoice prices, but they are readily available from several sites.

I just went through it and built a 3/4 ton Silverado Base and LS and a 3/4 ton GMC SL and SLE. It is not perfect, but it works better than the other sites I have tried.

Some curiosities - The GMC comes with the upscale seat with fold down center armrest w/storage on the base model. But you cannot get power door locks or cruise control unless you opt for the rubber floor covering and Chevy style base seat w/o fold down center.

Mike
    Sorry i gave to much info just thought i would im not bragging or anything i just feel like alot of people dont take me serious when i say im buying a silverado pretty much everyone except people who know me. I apologize.

Ryan
    Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. You don't have to be defensive about your parents paying for college. Most parents do that. Mine were just very poor. I still took advantage of the free food and free use of the Nova, though. I think we all take advantage of our parents to some degree. Working all those hours AND going to school, you certainly aren't a spoiled rich kid. Hope your truck turns out to be all you hoped for.
    -powerisfun
    needed.

Who said they don't take you serious?

Lots of kids now days get new cars.

it's like they are too easy to afford now?..or the younger crowd just can't drive used?

Oh well

what do I care?....got mine.

Hey!

I seen a cool New style silverado on the road yesterday with a cool cap.....the I realized..that ain't no Silverado...it was a Burb or a tahoe?

By the time I looked back it was too late to see which one.

Looked good in all Red.

Don't know if that was a production?....or just many of the test vehicles that are around the Metro Area?

- Tim
  • mannwimannwi Member Posts: 29
    mtrammell,

You asked if GM is still building my ZX3 this week. I called the customer service people with my six character order code, just yesterday, and they said it is still scheduled for this week. I will post when I know more.

Sounds like your situation is not going so well, wish I knew what to tell them. Certainly, you could tell them what you know others are doing.

mannwi,,,,,that is in Wisconsin
    Had to be a suburban they hit lots about 2 wks ago from what ive heard havent seen any. Tahoes dont come out until early spring march - april so it was a suburban. I like the new tahoes they are real nice. Nice family vehicle. Tim i would never buy used i dont know its like its not mine u know the feeling. Gotta go all out i think i got this attitude from sports.
    POWERISFUN i wasnt being defensive but u know how some people are think you are made of money and stuck up and im not like that regular middle class. Tell u the truth right now my engineering internship is kind of boring and i am thinking of changing my majors a yr and a half into college. Hard decisions keep working make the money or be happy and switch i am close to switching and if this happens i might postpone ordering the truck a few months. So u can tell what takes precedence in my life.

Ryan
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    around 4 or 5 new surburban's here in texas

they are just totally awesome looking, of course they were 4 wheel drive, but they look awesome!!!!!
    Just some career advice: If you want a really high-paying job after college, I recommend you go into computer science (assuming you like working with computers). I'm a computational physicist with a Ph.D and most of the computer science majors I work with only have B.S.'s but get paid nearly the same. They are in such high demand now and will continue to be in high demand for the next decade (at least). Good luck whatever you decide.
    -powerisfun
    I know this has nothing to do with Silverado, but just wanted to offer my own insite on careers...I think that you said before that you were a mechanical engineer. If so, you can do what I did and concentrate on controls. Pretty much programming mechanical machines to be automated. There are TONS of jobs in this area right now. Not to brag, but I gets call from all over the country from big name companies just because of my controls background. I currently am considering taking an offer from GM or Ford's (Sorry) powertrain divisions. Will develop the code for engines/trans for future cars and then get to drive them around test tracks trying to calibrate them. Couldn't think of a job that I would like better!!!

As for Tahoes/Suburbans, I got to sit in and mess around in some new ones this summer at an open house at GM's Milford Proving Grounds. I thought they were VERY sweet!! Of course, I already was a big fan of the trucks. Saw a Burb driving around Metro Detroit last month too.

Kevin
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Wow Tim, that sounds like some serious overkill. Of course I'm a fan of overkill so I think it's great (as long as I don't have to install it for 7 hours). What are box boards?
This discussion has been closed.