Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius v. ??? (fill in the comparison)

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Toyota
The Prius is being compared to non-hybrid vehicles - the Elantra, Corolla and more. Here's the place to discussion the Prius V. other vehicles.

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Prius you get for $26k (double $12-14k) is far beyond "basic transportation" IMO. If you want basic transportation, you can go spend $10k on a Rio, Accent, Aveo etc.

Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k. You might find a basic one for $14k, but for that you won't get ABS/traction, power everything, remote locking, auto climate control, automatic transmission or many of the other nice standard features of the Prius. But if a strippo Corolla meets your needs, save the bucks and buy one.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I can accept that folks buy a Prius for "other reasons", i.e., first amendment rights, status, image, so called environmental reasons, techno geek is cool! syndrome, etc etc! I think if you do not consider that the hybrid is specifically designed for "basic" transportation, i.e. COMMUTING, then you are bypassing the real reason for its utility and design!!??? If not, then you will have to accept that some folks positively have to commute in an suv, MB, BMW. :) I think you get the drift here.

Actually, I have taken your advice! That is why I bought a TDI diesel over a 2003 Prius! Too bad the Toyota Corolla doesn't come in the USA with a diesel! Killer combo! But then I can be forced to commute in my Toyota Landcruiser! :)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Has Toyota ever built a diesel engine? I know the Honda Accord Diesel that is now available in the EU is their first.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k

I saw one at the dealer today for $19,595.

It was the Corolla SRX without an automatic transmission.

JOHN
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    yeah for both the diesels and hybrids...

and the SUVs for whatever purpose you need or want.

:)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    >> Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k

>I saw one at the dealer today for $19,595.

>It was the Corolla SRX without an automatic transmission.

>JOHN

You can find new basic model 2004 and 2005 Corollas for around 12-13K, a few 2004 CEs are less than $12K

The Corolla SRX that you mention is incorrect. You actually meant a 2005 Corolla XRS which is the performance version with the 170 horsepower engine, the same as in the Matrix XRS and the Celica GTS. It is for driving enthusiasts and comes only in a 6-speed manual, the same as the Matrix XRS. However, in the Celica version you can get and automatic.

YMMV,

MidCow
    >Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k.
    >You might find a basic one for $14k

WRONG!
    Everyday in the Houston Chronicle:

You can find new basic model 2004 and 2005 Corollas for around 12-13K, a few 2004 CEs are less than $12K

The basic model does not have ABS, but is does include:

DRL (daytime running Lights) - Prius doesn't have this!
    32/40 mpg (manual transmission 0-60 mpg in 8.5 seconds)
    external temperature display
    tachometer -Prius doesn't have this
    power mirrors
    tilt-adjustable steering wheel
    air conditioning

Cruise control, ABS brakes, sunroof and power remote locks are options.

The Corolla makes a very nice economy car with good acceleration and good miles per gallon at a price less than half the Prius.

YMMV,

MidCow
    > You can find new basic model

You can order a basic model (which is rather well loaded) of Prius too.

So why are some people insisting that comparing the lowest cost Corolla to a every-tech-item-possible Prius is appropriate? They are opposite extremes.

JOHN
    >> Also you won't find a new Corolla for $12k

>I saw one at the dealer today for $19,595.

>It was the Corolla SRX without an automatic transmission.

>JOHN

The Corolla SRX that you mention is incorrect. You actually meant a 2005 Corolla XRS which is the performance version with the 170 horsepower engine, the same as in the Matrix XRS and the Celica GTS. It is for driving enthusiasts and comes only in a 6-speed manual, the same as the Matrix XRS. However, in the Celica version you can get and automatic.

YMMV,

MidCow
    Okay lowest Corolla $11,800 (actual cost you can buy for after $1,000 rebate)

To lowest Prius $20,810

The Corolla is $9,010 less.

Anyway you slice it if you are looking for a reliable (i.e. Toyota) car and you are concerned about miles per gallon and Total Cost of Ownership, then the only obvious answer is the Corolla. $9,000 buys a whole lot of gas!

Both are economy cars: the Prius is on steriods with tech options and is classified as a midsize only barely and only because of its hatch back design.

And the Prius only comes with an automatic. If you want or need a manual transmission, you can get one in the Corolla!

YMMV,

MidCow
    "$9,000 buys a whole lot of gas!" I would agree with that!

@ 1.59 for #2 diesel and 1.95 unleaded gas:

this converts to 4,615 gals and at 38 mpg that is 175,384 miles! :)
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Midcow... maybe that's the car you should get! You'd save a ton of money and then you can wear the following T-Shirt.

MY WIFE BOUGHT ME
    THIS BORING BUT
    ECONOMICAL CAR

Oh.. one more thing.. why would you want a TACH in a Prius with a CVT? It serves NO purpose at all. I can't remember the last time I looked at a TACH in a car with automatic.
    To keep from being bored? :)
    >Oh.. one more thing.. why would you want
    >a TACH in a Prius with a CVT? It serves
    >NO purpose at all. I can't remember the
    >last time I looked at a TACH in a car with automatic.

How much real information does the cartoon on the Prius multi-display console provide when it shows the schematic of the ICE, MG1, MG2, Battery and wheels, when it shows sources and users of power.

Are you advocating that tachometers be eliminated from all automatics. What about tiptronic shifting? Oh Yeah! I forgot, they won't let you exceed red-line; electronic protection.

Where can I get the T-Shirt ?

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- That is probably why the boss hasn't given me approval to buy a car
    Referring to a Corolla compared to the Prius
    >MY WIFE BOUGHT ME
    >THIS BORING BUT
    >ECONOMICAL CAR

What makes the Prius not-boring?

It isn't accleration
    It isn't handling
    It isn't the throaty exhaust
    It isn't the smell of leather on the seats and the sun shining through the sun roof.
    It isn't the medoicre JBL stereo

Please don't tell me it is the multi-display console screen.

So if the Corolla is boring what makes the Prius non-boring ( or you might go as far as to say exciting)????

YMMV,
    MidCow
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Must be the way it gets their heart racing and blood pressure up when writing the check for that big monthly payment. :-)
    What check? I paid cash. Can't deal with payments.
    Dunno. I usually invoke the command SCREEN OFF. Then a few minutes into my trip I switch to either SAT1, SAT2 or SAT3 and listen to comedy or dance or 80's sometimes Franks Place if I am in the mood. Yes the Prius is a nice place to spend time commuting. So much to do!! Coastal Dave is working on a hack to enable the screen to play DVDs for the passenger. Will get that when its available. Back to the drive... 10 minutes into the drive I will have the NAV screen on so that I can take an instantaneous detour if the need arises. 15 minutes into the ride my phone is ringing and the SAT XM goes silent. I press a button and voilia, its my friend asking me what's on for the weekend. I end the call, and change the SAT to comedy ( I need it by now). About 30 minutes later I am coasting on electric only (SO COOOOOL) and switching to the cartoon channel (AKA engine schematic) so that I can see how well I did on the trip. Quite a nice SMOOOOTH ride with the CVT not jolting you every moment. Yes.. the Prius is one nice ride. Try and replicate that in a Corolla. DUH????
    Now I know where to go to buy a Corolla (if I wanted to buy one): Houston! New CEs start at $14k here in the Twin Cities.

I agree the Prius is an "economy" car if you look only at fuel economy and TCO. But in other aspects it is far above economy cars: features, interior quality, ride quality, interior room, and NVH for example.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Try replicating the $10-15,000 in the Toyota Corolla owners' hands since you paid cash. Double Duh????
  • prius4meusprius4meus Member Posts: 22
    ""$9,000 buys a whole lot of gas!" I would agree with that!

@ 1.59 for #2 diesel and 1.95 unleaded gas:

this converts to 4,615 gals and at 38 mpg that is 175,384 miles! :)"

Do all those interested in diesel live in the US? If so, is there some secret market for reduced sulfur diesel about which I am unaware? My understanding is that this won't be available until at least 2006 (and the way thing work in this arena, I wouldn't bet the farm on that one). If so, in figuring the "cost" of fuel, diesel drivers should factor in the tremendously detrimental health effects yielded by the emmisions from their tailpipes.
    For people that don't care about ride quality and other virtues, the differences may not be a determining factor. If you're frugal, go with the Corolla. If you like to avoid ubiquity and boredom stay with the Prius. I've driven a Camry, Echo, Corolla and Prius. The ride quality of the Prius is VERY close to that of a Camry (smooth and quiet).

Short story... had a Mercedes E320 loaner 2 months ago while my friend's car was being serviced (he was away on business). I had to go to work and had a choice of a brand new E320 (actually it was an '03) or my '04 Prius. Needless to say, I chose the Prius. No, it's not a Mercedes but own one and you'll understand.
    Seriously, I have the best break even vehicle to compare to the Prius. The Hyundai Elantra. It is slightly larger (12 cf more luggage space). Gets decent gas mileage, has the same 45 state emission rating of 9 and completely loaded with all options has a TMV of $15,857. Now that means if, no, BIG IF, you can get a stripped Prius for $25,000 (someone just paid $27k for a package 3 on this forum). For $9,143 less you can have a vehicle with as good emissions, I am assuming the ride and comfort to be the same for all these miniature cars. With that $9K savings you can buy enough gas to drive around the world 6 and 1/2 times. I call that a bargain.
    Problem is you can NEVER find an Elantra with anti lock brakes. I actually had an Elantra (1999) for a few months as a commuter car. Actually a nice vehicle but the mileage was fair (high 20's). My new criteria for any new car is to have stability control. The Elantra has it's place, just not in MY driveway. Better yet, why not suggest the Accent or the Kia Spectra. Much cheaper than a TDI too!!!! LOL
    I am sure there are many choices. That one had the good emission rating. It is a hatchback and about the same size as the Prius. there are evidently thousands of prospective Prius customers that may not want to wait for months or pay a big premium. Me I would not wait in line to see the Pope or the President, let alone some over hyped vehicle.
    You make a good point that if a car like the Elantra GT 5-door can meet someone's needs, they will save mucho bucks compared to buying a Prius. But you don't get a Prius for the price of an Elantra. With a Prius you get more rear-seat leg room (could be important for some people), about double the in-town fuel economy (compared to automatic Elantra), AT-PZEV emissions vs. ULEV (in most states anyway). The features are mixed; the Elantra GT has some standard features and factory options that the Prius does not (power moonroof, leather, seat height adjuster, MP3 player, adjustable lumbar support, choice of stick or automatic) and the Prius has many features and options the Elantra does not offer. Also, IMO the Prius offers a notch higher level of quality than the Elantra (as it should for a $20k+ car). One thing on the cargo room, though--I think they're roughly equivalent. I really don't think the Elantra GT 5-door has 12 cubic feet more luggage space than the Prius. But I am too tired to check the specs right now.
    It's overhyped because it's a great car. Get used to it.
    The Prius is the hands down mileage winner over the Elantra by more than 30%. I was a bit surprised on the difference in luggage space. Maybe the back seat suffered on the Elantra. My whole point was that I added everything to the Elantra on the Edmund's pricing and with the rebate the car sells for under $16k. You don't get the latest in technology. You get as much comfort as that class of car has to offer. And at today's premium (caused by media hype) the Prius is not a good buy. That is not saying the Prius is not a nifty car with the latest technology. It is just not a wise choice if you are economy minded. If you have to be the first on your block to get one you are going to pay a $9,000 premium to get it. That is a lot of gas, food and cloths for someone that is worried about economy.
    I think you need to check your facts. The Prius' advantage in mpg over the Elantra in city driving is way more than 30%. Also, the Prius actually has more luggage space than the Elantra, according to manufacturer's specs--12.9 cubic feet for the Elantra 5-door and 16.1 cubic feet for the Prius. I think you may be comparing the maximum cargo capacity of the Elantra, with the rear seat folded, to the Prius' luggage space (rear seat up).

If you are trying to make the point that some cars cost a lot less than the Prius, that is pretty obvious. If someone is really worried about lowest cash outlay, they can buy something like a slightly used Elantra for $7-10k. With the average price of new cars these days over $27,000 (more than what a loaded Prius costs), it's clear that lowest possible cash outlay is not the main criterion for many car buyers.

Another way to look at it is total cost of ownership. It's interesting I think that Edmunds.com estimates the TCO for the Prius ($.38 per mile) is actually less than that of an Elantra GT ($.39 per mile). Purchase price is just one factor in "economy."
    The Elantra I owned barely got 28 average on highway and city driving. I tried very hard to find one with ABS. No can do. People who buy this class are NOT interested in safety features (at least the majority). Stability control? LOL.... Don't even think about it. With all these reports about the Prius performing exceptionally well in crash tests, I am very happy I made the decision to buy mine. Dollars to me do not matter at all. It's a Prius thing. You wouldn't understand. I feel I paid quite fairly (below list I might add) for my '04 Prius. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Someone mentioned this class being miniature. LOL.. The Mini is miniature. The Prius is considered mid size. SUVs are super sized and pure excess and WASTE.
    Mini is miniature. The Prius is considered mid size. SUVs are super sized and pure excess and WASTE.

Calling a Prius a midsize is like calling a Camry or Accord fullsize. It's a lie. A Crown Victoria is full size. The Mini-Cooper is very small. I would buy a Mini-Cooper over a Prius in a heartbeat. That car will not lose money over the long haul, if it is cared for. If you consider driving comfort and pleasure a WASTE. Then my Suburban and LS 400 are a WASTE. If you would take your family in a little car like the Prius on a long trip. That is horrible. The only reason I can see for them is daily commutes for 2 or less and going to the gracery store. I have an old Mazda 626 that I use for little errands. And it is more of a car than that Prius and I have driven both.
    The only reason people have Suburbans is to show their neighbor, look mine is bigger. I recently drove eight hours to Ohio (averaged 49.3!!) (Can't do that in a Suburban LOL!!!!!!!!!!!). We had four people and luggage for two days. What a comfortable time we all had!! It was awesome and the amount of fuel we saved was amazing!! Everyone was so happy listening to the XM radio and watching the NAV screen accurately take us to where we wanted to divert. Then we would laugh out loud as we pulled into a filling station to get snacks while the big hunky SUVs where filling up their yachts. Life is good and Prius makes it so much more enjoyable. Amazing how so many folks out there have PRIUS ENVY!
    Not me, I almost made that mistake in 2000 when you could get them for a lot less than now. I hope the third and forth passengers on your trip were very small. Just lucky your wife did not fall in love with any antique furniture on the trip. You would have blown your meager savings on shipping it home.
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    "Calling a Prius a midsize is like calling a Camry or Accord fullsize. It's a lie. A Crown Victoria is full size."

Actually, in Europe and the rest of the world the Prius is classed as a Large Family Car, and it fits their needs, family and all, quite well for trips of all lengths.

Only in America, home of the super-size Fries, Butts and Egos do we think for some odd reason that we need more interior space than the Prius (and similar US Mid-Size Cars) provide. Kind of odd.

But, as far as transporting more than two people in comfort, let's see.

Rear Leg Room

Crown Vic 39.6
    Prius 38.6
    Camry 37.8
    Accord 36.8
    Mazda 6 36.5

For a Cross Country Trip with 4 people, explain to me again how the rear seat passengers are going to be more comfortable in the "Mid Size" Cam/Cord/6?

Luggage Capacity

Crown Vic 20.6
    Camry 16.7
    Prius 16.1
    Mazda 6 15.2
    Accord 14

Oooh, those Mid Size Accord buyers are all set to load up those suitcases.

Bottom line is, the Prius is Mid-Size inside and Compact Size outside. It's fully and directly comparable to the Cam/Cords in interior size and function, and it's a lot more fun to drive :) Something you should understand since you stress how valuable pleasure is in justifying your Suburban, though I have never really heard anyone justify needing a Suburban because it is fun to drive.
  • rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi gang,
       I took my '04 Prius (#9/Drift) to Cental Oregon from the San Francisco Bay Area last month which is 510 miles each way. I took a leisurely 9 hrs or so to get there so I spent a long time "in the saddle". I stopped occasionally for safety stretching and only one stop for gas. No one should be making marathon driving stretches without breaks. It's good for the body AND the mind. Anyway, I found no discomfort when I got to my destination. I travelled solo with my ever-present golf clubs and even with other golf buddies/gear the ride is very smooth. Until you've taken on such a journey either solo or with passengers, don't keep saying the car isn't comfortable, it is!!
    Thanks,
    Rich
    in Europe and the rest of the world the Prius is classed as a Large Family Car

Welcome to the debate. I think a long trip in Europe would be a bit shorter than a trip from San Diego to the Oregon border. My wife has spent a lot of time in Europe and agrees. The cars in general are smaller and you never see a PU truck like here. That is part of the problem. When you are in a sea of SUV's and 1 ton crew cab PU trucks with anything smaller it can be cause for claustrophobia. In the Suburban I can spot trouble 30 cars ahead in our Mazda barely one car ahead. The freeways and Interstate highways are a jungle and I don't want to be the mouse that gets squashed by the elephant. If I was in Europe I am sure I could handle being in a smaller car.
    Did you appreciate the fact that they pump your gas for you in Oregon? I wish CA would make that a law. Give young people an entry level job.
    The money we saved on fuel was used to buy an antique sofa. We actually had it shipped for $75.00. Ever look at the leg room of the rear seats of the '04 Prius? It nearly looks like the back seat of my allroad. My friends tend to be normal average sized people (5'8") - (5"10). They also have average girth. They're looking forward to our next trip which will be to Mount Washington. Ahhh... the wonderful virtues of owning a Prius. Ooops... better stop gloating.
    I have mixed reactions about someone pumping gas for me. I started my career in 1973 with Chevron-Texaco...pumping gas. I retired a year ago after 30 years in the refinery. I learned to be presentable and customer-friendly. My experiences at gas stations in Oregon have been mixed. Some of the people I've had pump gas wouldn't be the first people I'd consider hiring. I know that my sound rude to some and I apologize but just pumping gas seemed to be enough of a challenge to them. Most people were helpful and pleasant. But some seemed entry-level at best. I've asked simple directions and received shrugged shoulders.
      Unfortunately, full service stations are few and far between. Thank goodness today's automobiles last a long time because if people don't check their air, water, oil level, etc., they'd be hurting. If California did something like this it would definitely give people jobs and I'm all for that. The only problem would be if dealers raised their prices to pay for labor.
       The previous reviewer noted driving a Prius on Maui. Oh, just the thought of that.... When I was in Central Oregon (city of Bend), my trips between golf courses yielded me over 50 mpg!! The terrain is high desert and basically flat or else Oregon adds a little something special in its fuel.
    Thanks,
    Rich
    I prefer to gas my own too. All too often the attendant fails to tighten the cap tightly. They also tend to want to top off, which from what I have been reading is not a good thing.
    We always filled at Costco and the attendants were very professional. One tank in the Taurus was pushing 500 miles from Medford to Astoria driving the entire coast. Did I say that was a decent car and comfortable. It averaged over 27 mpg for the 1350 miles we drove that week.

I do know what you mean, if they start slopping it down the side of your car. I would freak out. It just seems a good way to provide an alternative entry job to working at Burger King. I feel for young people trying to make it today. It is tough here in CA where the median house just hit $500,000.
    Hi gang,
      I think having a Prius rental on Maui would be great. We were there in 1997 and rented a Mustang convertible...ooh la la!! The sights and especially the smells are wonderful. The roads that the rental companies don't want you to drive on are listed on the rental agreements and they even have road signs designating a road unsuitable for rental vehicles due to remote access, rough roads, etc. I did take the Mustang on a one-lane road that connected two cities and other than a few harrowing cliffs nearby, we got through and was able to see a lot of small villages (hamlets?) and gorgeous scenery.
       Can you imagine the questions and problems "outsiders" may experience trying to negotiate a Prius? I know it's not difficult to drive a Prius, but you have to admit, it takes a few months to fully appreciate and utilize all that the Prius has to offer.
    Thanks,
    Rich
    I will check in September if they have any Prius vehicles in the rental pool on the Big Island. With the shortage it is doubtful as car rental companies never pay a premium, always fleet discounts. Actually on the Big Island there are hundreds of miles of roads that you should have a 4WD. Some that they say are off limits are just narrow and you have to use caution passing oncoming traffic.
    C/D just did an interesting comparison of four high-fuel-economy cars: Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, Jetta TDi, and ECHO. Their verdict was:

HCH - 91 Points: "It's a Honda... Driving is always fun in Hondas" etc.

Prius - 90: "This is a spaceship, a purposeful thrust into Futureland where saving fuel is Job One. ... The Prius is as much a promise as it is a car."

Jetta TDi - 78: "Bland is bad in cars. Diesels don't know how to be bland. ... A few of us really get off on them. It's not explainable."

ECHO - 3: "This is Metamucil for the road--you'll go, and you'll be glad when it's over."
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "But, as far as transporting more than two people in comfort, let's see.

Rear Leg Room

Crown Vic 39.6
    Prius 38.6
    Camry 37.8
    Accord 36.8
    Mazda 6 36.5

For a Cross Country Trip with 4 people, explain to me again how the rear seat passengers are going to be more comfortable in the "Mid Size" Cam/Cord/6?

Luggage Capacity

Crown Vic 20.6
    Camry 16.7
    Prius 16.1
    Mazda 6 15.2
    Accord 14

Oooh, those Mid Size Accord buyers are all set to load up those suitcases.
    "

How about a CR-V

Rear leg room = 39 inches

Cargo = 33 Cu Ft.

If desired, the rear seats can be slid foward to create a 36" rear leg room and about 40 Cu Ft of storage. Oh, and the rear seats also recline (don't know if the Prius has this option).

Also, what you fail to mention is that the Prius uses more vertical storage than other vehicles, which means it has less floor space (square footage).

Of course, the CR-V is one of those hated "SUVs"... though it probably gets about the same MPG as a Crown Vic (I get 27 MPG highway).
    Wouldn't the CR-V use even more "vertical space" than the Prius? I've looked at the square footage of the CR-V compared to hatchbacks like the Prius, Elantra, and Mazda6, and the CR-V didn't seem to have as much.

The rear seats of the Prius do not recline. But you don't really want to compare the options list of the CR-V vs. the Prius, do you? ;-)
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    "Of course, the CR-V is one of those hated "SUVs"... though it probably gets about the same MPG as a Crown Vic (I get 27 MPG highway)."

Are you seriously suggesting that the Ride Quality of a CR-V is comparable to a Crown Vic? Or even any of the other Sedans compared? The comparison was about Comfort as well as Space.

If you have that many extra kidneys to spare, I'm sure there are some folks out there that would be happy to hear from you.

If you want space your CR-V can't hold a candle to a Scion XB or Element, but I wouldn't want to go cross country in either of them, even though they get decent mileage.

And, for the record, the Prius also has some serious length, as well as height. The Front Passenger Seat folds down flush, so you can carry a stack of 8' 2x4s with the hatch closed. I can't be 100% sure, but I have a strong suspicion the CR-V would fail that test.
    "If you have that many extra kidneys to spare, I'm sure there are some folks out there that would be happy to hear from you."

I take it you have never gone cross country in a CR-V. It is quite comfortable. It is not a Crown Vic, and isn't supposed to be, but it is very good on a long haul. I have driven it for 11 hours straight (except for pit stops, that is).

"If you want space your CR-V can't hold a candle to a Scion XB or Element, but I wouldn't want to go cross country in either of them, even though they get decent mileage."

Can't speak to the Scion XB, but the CR-V has more capacity than the Element. I cross shopped them.

"And, for the record, the Prius also has some serious length, as well as height. The Front Passenger Seat folds down flush, so you can carry a stack of 8' 2x4s with the hatch closed. I can't be 100% sure, but I have a strong suspicion the CR-V would fail that test."

Never tried it myself, but I suspect CR-V could handle that... or open the hatch glass, which is separate from the rear door. But we were referring to 4 passengers and luggage...
    > you can carry a stack of 8' 2x4s with the hatch closed

Actually, you can carry 10' 2x4s. I have photos to prove it!

(Hint: you gain that extra length by laying them on the dashboard.)

JOHN
    I was thinking of the dash myself...
This discussion has been closed.