Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MAZDASPEED Mazda6

zoomer1zoomer1 Member Posts: 42
Autoweek is showing a picture of the 6 that will come with TwinTurbos, 276 HP, 265 Lbs of TQ, 18 inch wheels, and AWD. Sometime in September. Add Navi, and Vehicle Stability control and I am THERE!

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    the MZ6 speed is a stong possability. I was told by mazda it will be an even numbered car. It wouldnt make sense to do an RX-8Speed yet. We know there are MZ6 variants under the Ford/Lincoln banner that are coming with AWD...so logic says mazda will get some version.

I am hesitant to say when the MZ6 speed would show up... The MiataSpeed (version 2)will be available as a 2005 model instead of a 2004.5 model....I don't think they want to offer two speeds at the sametime....so maybe they mean september of 2005??
  • zoomer1zoomer1 Member Posts: 42
    It is this September....hopefully in the US late this year or early next....
  • monomono Member Posts: 26
    At least by the time it hits the US, they might have all the bugs out of it. This sounds like a great car, but I am little concerned with Mazda limited experience in AWD platforms.
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    that not true mazda have been making awd car out side the states for years the mz6 has an awd model in europe and japan, the 626 had a awd model too out side the states, and mazda also have other awd model currently for sale in japan in fact most japanese auto maker are well know for awd car mazda included.
  • hammer760hammer760 Member Posts: 15
    I wonder if they'll offer this in the wagon? I just bought my 6 wagon 2 weeks ago and now I hear this??? Does anyone know baout any ways to increase low end power on the 6? She's a bit sluggish off the line. Air intakes, chips?
  • shov6shov6 Member Posts: 177
    I guess now the only question is how many simoleans we'd have to part with to get one. I should still be able to get a decent trade-in on my car as it only has around 5000mi on it. ;-)

I'm guessing 26-27 large on the sticker with few (if any) options. Maybe the nav system they're offering on the 3?

Don't think I'll actually go for one, but it sure will make me tear up when I see one go by.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Just got out of a MazdaSpeed6 meeting. This car is going to be great. Save your pennies.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Remember the 323 GTX, also?

Should be very interesting. I wonder if it'll compete with the STi/EVO/R32 rally-style cars, or less edgy cars like the Legacy GT.

I also wonder if Subaru will punch back with the rumored Legagy STi, H6 with twin turbos, some rumors have it at 350hp.

Competition improves the breed, bring it on Mazda!

-juice
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Is this the same car as the Mazda 6 that was cought testing for the UK? I remember reading somewhere this summer that the UK is getting a turbo- or supercharged 2.3L Mazda 6 and it had a likely possibility of coming to the US.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    If what we know about the MazdaSpeed6 right now is true, then we can share in your enthusiasm. I have a feeling I'm going to be faced with another dilemma when it comes time to return our leased Mazda6 in March of '07. I know, I know, it's such a terrible thing... :)

I NEED to own a Mustang some day but by then the family may have grown some more causing me to delay that dream a little longer. Since I'll already be at a Mazda dealer I just might have to test out one of those MazdaSpeed6 models. Or maybe a MazdaSpeed RX-8? The latter will probably be too expensive but I would imagine the 6 will compete very well with a Mustang GT which is in our price range. Plus it has 4-doors and is family friendly.

I know it's too early to make a decision but I need something to keep my brain active somehow. ;) Choices are good.

Now if Ford starts producing an AWD Mustang GT I think my head might explode!

The only thing that worries me about the MazdaSpeed6 is that they are choosing to force feed the I4 instead of the V6. It might be too buzzy and high revving for my tastes. Not necessarily a deal breaker though.
    Just for reference, go drive a 2005 Legacy GT.

If you like that, my guess is you'll like the MS6, or whatever it's called.

Both are big 4s with a turbo and permanent AWD, virtually the same size even.

My guess (wishful thinking?) is the 6 will be a little less refined but also edgier and more raw, perhaps half way between the GT and the WRX STi.

The 2.3l engine in the Mazda3 is pretty smooth, I'm sure it'll be based on that.

-juice
    My guess (wishful thinking?) is the 6 will be a little less refined but also edgier and more raw,

I don't know about that juice. I test drove a 6i and it was pretty refined. The only thing that might turn people off is how Mazda purposely tuned the exhaust to sound like a V6 or small V8. Sounded good to me but it was louder than pretty much every I4 I've ever driven before.

Two twisters bolted on might change all of that though.

As for the Subie, no thanks. I know you're a Subaru guy but I'm just not and probably never will be. I don't know exactly what it is but they just don't spark my interest. I guess I just like things simple. Like a big V8 as opposed to a high tech I4 with a thousand things bolted to it to make it go fast.

There's a WRX STi in my parking garage that I get to hear almost every day because we arrive at around the same time. The motor sounds whiny and the exhaust sounds like one of those coffee can mufflers teenagers bolt on to their Civics. The two don't seem to go together to me. I understand the greatness of the STi, WRX, etc. but I just don't want any of them.

And that's what bothers me about the MZS6. It might be too high tech.

Give me Looney Toons and metal Tonka trucks any day. You can have your Power Rangers and Transformers. :)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    My guess is the ms6 will be in the Legacy GT mold, and that the MS# (whenever it shows up) would be positioned against the Evo and WRX.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

This car is going to be really cool. You'll be paying for 100% performance, not 70% performance and 30% name like Audi or BMW.

It may be time to embrace smaller engines ; ) Lighter is better when it comes to handling and MPG.

The Evo and WRX are too boy racer.
    I've driven the 6s, not the 6i. I like the sporty cockpit, but it doesn't feel as upscale as the Subaru. It is a very nice design, though.

NVH was not as good, IMO, you heard more road noise in the 6s. I can't imagine a 2.3l AWD turbo would be quieter than the 3.0l V6. So that's what I meant when I said it won't be as refined.

Legacy GT is a lot more refined than the STi, the engine is tuned less aggressively and there is more insulation and a more absorbent ride, there is no comparison. The STi is a lot more raw (and boy racer, yes).

I don't the MS6 will qualify under your simpler-is-better philosophy.

-juice
    The Legacy won't have anything on this car. Trust me.

http://www.mondial-automobile.com/
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    The GT is a really sweet car. I almost got swayed into spending more than I intended in June when I bought my Scion. And, if I lived where I would have regular snow driving time, I probably would have.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I dunno about that, the Legacy has less output on paper but on the dyno it's making about 260-270 hp and more than 265 lb-ft of torque.

It has more displacement and AVCS, though the Mazda engine will have that too (S-VT in Mazdaspeak). Lag is minimal because the 2.5l with AVCS does OK even off boost.

I wouldn't assume the Mazda will automatically be better because of the numbers on paper, though I'd love to drive them back-to-back and judge for myself.

I was fortunate enough to take a Legacy GT around the Las Vegas Motor Speedway infield track, and the car was more capable than I, my lack of experience was what limited my speeds. I still managed to redline 3rd gear and get a bit into 4th on the short straight.

My complaint about Mazda engines is they lack low end torque. My Miata's torque peaks at 5500 rpm and there is approximately zero torque until 4000 rpm. The V6 in the Mazda6 also has a sky-high sweet spot, way up in the revs.

I wonder how the 2.3l turbo will be tuned, the numbers just don't reveal enough.

-juice
    the numbers just don't reveal enough.

Especially when they are based on incorrect information.

Even if the Legacy got you off the line, you'd loose him in the twisties.

Plus, you get a car with more room for passangers and luggage.
    We don't really know whether it'll handle better in the twisties. It will get 18" rims, but I'll wait and see. They'll have to sacrifice NVH to achieve that.

C&D had an article on the 6 wagon and it said the Legacy wagon had more room. I doubt the MS6 will come in a wagon at all, so Subaru has the clear advantage there - you can get a GT wagon.

As for passenger room, IMO both are tight. Neither has any foot room at all beneath the front seats. Wheelbase is about the same, and Legacy actually has a bit more head room when I sat in it. The wagon has a lot more head room.

Seems like you have something against the Legacy, have you sampled one? Reviews have been solid.

-juice
    icvci,
    What's up with the link in #18? It stopped working on me while I was trying to find the Mazda section. Since I don't speak French, how do I get to where you were pointing?
    Link didn't work for me either, BTW.

-juice
    Perhaps it's just a perception, but my mother's '98 Legacy GT wagon has about the same amount of space as my '03 6S, at least in the passenger compartment. I was under the impression that the new Legacys are larger than their predecessors, so that would logically make the Legacy a marginally roomier vehicle.

But then again, I haven't applied a tape measure to either, so I could be wrong.
    The new Leg isn't really much roomier than the old one, they're about the same. I think the Mazda6 and the TSX are also about the same size, towards the small end of the mid-size segment.

I complained that the Mazda6 didn't have toe space under the front seats, but the Legacy has the same exact issue.

Neither is particularly roomy, an Accord or Altima is roomier for sure.

-juice
    Neither is particularly roomy, an Accord or Altima is roomier for sure.

Sure, if you can get past the mind numbing boredom that comes with the Accord.

I don't recall an Altima being more roomy. I know a Maxima is but the Altima too?
    Altima has a lot of rear leg room, at least. More than the 6 or Legacy.

Any how, it's not often you have 4 people above 6' tall in one car.

-juice
    Any how, it's not often you have 4 people above 6' tall in one car.

Nope. The only reason I have 4-doors right now is because of a 9 month-old. Otherwise the back seat is a ghost town. ;)

Our Escape has a good bit more leg room in the rear so we always use it when multiple adults travel with us. It's just easier that way.
    It's a link to the Paris Autoshow, and didn't have any specific link to the MazdaSpeed6. I was just pointing out that there is an Autoshow in Paris and it is from September 25th to October 10th. There will probably be some cool cars there.
    Nothing against the Legacy Juice, just everything for the 6, it is going to open up a whole new world for a lot of people.

The Legacy is a fine vehicle but, it is going to be quite a few ticks below the 6 in terms of styling, fit and finish, handling and over-all performance.
    Maybe it just suites your tastes.

I see room for improvement in the 6. Styling is fine. Material quality isn't as nice as the Leg, but at least the design is sharp (a sporty cockpit). Handling is about even but the ride is stiffer and NVH control is not as good.

The V6 could use more torque down low, and AWD will work wonders for this chassis that seems ready for more power.

Dunno, I like it, but I don't love it. 20 more lb-ft and AWD and maybe I'd love it.

-juice
    I see room for improvement in the 6. Styling is fine. Material quality isn't as nice as the Leg, but at least the design is sharp (a sporty cockpit). Handling is about even but the ride is stiffer and NVH control is not as good.

This will be an entirely different vehicle. Basically, all it will share with the current 6 is the number.
    Hmm, sort of different.

Same chassis and even the Ford engine block. Lots of changes in the tuning I'm sure.

I think it'll be what the SVT Focus was to the regular Focus. Even then I'm not sure that it'll be hand-built like the SVT was.

We'll see. Miata owners (myself included) haven't exactly gone nuts over the Mazdaspeed edition of that car.

-juice
  • jhpmichealjhpmicheal Member Posts: 14
    mazdaspeed's goal is to bring extra sporty feel of the car. i dunno how much power 6 will bring...but if it's over 250 horses in turbo and goes under 5 sec in 0-60...i will buy it, except if it is the wagon i might not...i just hate wagons...its for mamas...
  • jhpmichealjhpmicheal Member Posts: 14
    i don't get why the miata owners including yourself haven't gone nuts over mazdaspeed version of miata...its a turbo man!!! with a turbo kit you can boost your car up to 1000+ horses, also called monster miata!!! in fact, many guys who own miata is in craze 'bout mazdaspeed version...
    I guess it's that a lot of us don't feel like the Miata is about straight line speed, but cornering and nimbleness, tossability. The turbo makes it heavier and that could even hurt the ride/handling balance.

Also, it's not addressing the main issue I have with my Miata - leg room. It's still cramped.

So I'd have a quicker Miata that is still tight and weighs a bunch more than my 1993.

I guess I'd have been more impressed if MazdaSpeed figured out a way to drop 200 lbs instead of adding more power.

-juice
  • grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    the most recent Auto Week tests the MazdaSpeed Miata. I found it impressive that the only other car they have tested that beat this miata through the slalom was a viper.
    Well, it being narrow helps. Not really a fair comparo. Still good if it beat the S2000 and Boxster, though.

-juice
    It seems unlikely to me that the Mazdaspeed6 will pull off a 0-60 in under 5secs. It would probably need 275+hp to pull that off, and I think that's way over what the car will ultimately produce.
    I hope they don't aim for a one-trick pony like that. Keep the boost moderate so that driveability is good, fuel efficiency avoids gas guzzler taxes, and durability is good.

-juice
    Of course one of my primary complaints about the 6S is that the mileage isn't all it could be... But I doubt the hot-rodded 6 would be a bona-fide gas-guzzler!
    Only 10 days until the Paris Auto Show.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    And so the countdown begins... :-P
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Actually, it's more like 7.5 days (based on the time as I write this).

Press days are Sep 23 & 24 and Mazda's on the first day (11:15am @ Hall 1 to be more specific).
    A bit anxious? : )
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    I totally agree. My 6s is very nice but I can't wait to see this car in person.
  • drummdrumm Member Posts: 16
    Is it official that the Mazdaspeed version of the 6 will be shown at the Paris show this weekend? Any details anyone? I've been trying to gather info, but no luck, other than the showing of the MAzda5

-Drumm
    It will debut in Paris.
  • jaman_cajaman_ca Member Posts: 13
    The press release is all over the net.

260ps or about 252hp

0-100km/h in 6.6s (probably very conservative)
    That is plenty. Right in line with the Legacy GT (250hp and 0-60 just under 6 seconds).

I want to read more about the AWD, hopefully it's not the same system used in the Escape (part-time rotary blade coupling).

Got any links?

-juice