Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited May 2015 in Volkswagen
Share your experiences purchasing the VW TDI Golf, Jetta, or Passat. How did you do?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Finalizing my order on a 2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon. Does anyone have any opinion on the improved ride or looks that the 17 inch wheels give? Full-boat on options and will get it for 1/2-way between invoice and sticker...
  • winwin Member Posts: 2
    I have the same question about the 17" wheels too.

But the dealer I am talking to does not want to budge off of sticker or the 2005 Passat GLS TDI wagon they have on the lot with the leather package.

How did you get them to come of the sticker price? Who is you VW dealer. Maybe you could send me a private message to my email wdmosely@yahoo.com
    No effort on my part concerning the price...that was their first offer and after seeing the prices here on this website, I snapped it up straight away...will email you off line.
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Please share your information with the whole board. That is the purpose for this discussion. We would all like to know your dealer. Thanks.
    Scott VW in Rhode Island
  • winwin Member Posts: 2
    Had a pretty bad buying experience at Reydel VW in Edison NJ Yesterday. They did a bait and switch on me at the end and did not honor an agreement on the price of the car. Had some kind of Gap insurance that I never even got a policy for. They just could not stand that they had made a really good deal and I was ready to pay.

Salesman was inordinately slow; I guess because they were conniving in the back area. They were basically unresponsive to request in general. Not a place that you can do business. Try to avoid this dealership if you can.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    If the deal was through VW Credit, Gap insurance is standard. Were they trying to charge extra for it?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Gagprice, You are right I doubt if there are any 2004 TDIs left. However, there are 2005 TDI Jettas being sold at invoice. Even though they say 2005 they are exactly the same as 2004. The new model dubbed 2006 is substantially different and all-in-the-know know it is coming in March. The VW dealers are trying to hoodwink customers not aware of the new model coming.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Thanks for checking. I wonder if the dealers will be even more willing to deal when the 2006 models hit the showrooms. I know the dealer close to me in CA is not doing too well since they stopped the TDIs from coming into CA in 2004. I have never seen a customer in there when I stop by and ask about used TDIs. I would like to get one and leave it at my place in Hawaii. Not sure whether to get the Jetta or Passat Wagon. I would like a fully loaded with leather version. I can get it in Hawaii as they sell mostly TDIs they just stick to MSRP. I guess you can do that if you have the best mileage vehicles in a place where gas has always been high. I can get B100 over there and it is very price competitive with regular #2 diesel.
  • ngjagragngjagrag Member Posts: 4
    no matter what anyone says, there are not many vw passat GLS tdi wagons around. I have found them coming in sans ESP with a credit. Need ESP to help in bad climate areas. Anyway all of this effects the price a dealer is willing to sell its vehicle to you. My deal was for more than 1300 off MSRP. No dealer prep or anything unnecessary on the vehicle..

Date of purchase was 12/28/04 and I even got an extra 500 from VW for financing it with them at 5.49%. Hall Imports near Milwaukee
    $28,500. Leather w/wood, (which comes with winter package and ESP)...What do you think?
    Where is the dealership? I think that is good price for a nice car. Just what I am thinking of buying... I won't need the winter package, I avoid the cold parts of the country as much as possible :-)
  • ngjagragngjagrag Member Posts: 4
    I saved 1300 plus by traveling to Milwaukee. I enjoyed the trip home and averaged 42+ miles per gallon.
  • dadgonebrokedadgonebroke Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a passat gls tdi wagon (2005), with the only option being 17" wheels. It was purchased in so. fla just after the hurricanes.I paid 24,900 plus tag and title fee of 160.00 and sales tax. The total was just under actual retail sticker out the door. The dealer tried to make me finance the car to get the 500.00 rebate. They had already previously agreed to give me the rebate and finally backed off.
  • hankyhanky Member Posts: 6
    I negotiated down to $200 below invoice on a 2005 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon. Is that a good price?
  • abvb_2002abvb_2002 Member Posts: 4
    With the 2006 Passat, is this the right time to buy? Any idea when the 2006 Passat TDI would be avl?

For 2005 Passat TDI GL, Passat TDI GLS with Leather : what is the best price in PA/NJ area ?

I wil be driving ~45K miles per year.

Any feedback on reliability / problem areas to look for, would be appreciated.
  • cablackcablack Member Posts: 45
    Sorry but I don't have a price paid or a buying experience: one reason being that you can't get a VW TDI in California due to emissions restrictions.

So my question is: when will these autos be available in CA?
    2006-2007
  • wannaknowwannaknow Member Posts: 1
    Want to buy 2005 VW Passat TDI station wagon. When are 2006 models coming out, any dealer incentives to sell 2005 models, any buying experiences, suggestions to share? Live in St. Louis, MO area.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    No word on the 2006, so it'll probably be late summer like most 2006 models. You can get info on pricing and incentives by starting at our new cars page. You can build your Passat TDI, and at the end of the process, you'll see a link to any incentives available. You can also visit the incentives & rebates page here.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    Just purchased an 05 Passat GLS TDI Sedan, Graphite Blue, Grey Leather, cold weather package, wood trim package, MSRP $27,948...price paid $26,200 and also got $500 VW Cash (I bought an 04 Jetta GLS TDI in April, love that car too).

I can now officially be dubbed Mr. Diesel...every vehicle I own is a diesel.....

03 Ford F350 CrewCab King Ranch 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel
    04 Jetta GLS TDI (cold weather/leather)
    05 Passat GLS TDI (cold weather/leather/wood)

I pick up the Passat tomorrow morning. I wasn't interested in waiting on the '06s, the 05 body is just perfect for what I need/want (plus I wanted a diesel).
    I can now officially be dubbed Mr. Diesel...every vehicle I own is a diesel..

Smart man! When the rest of us are paying $3 a gallon for gas you can fillup at McDonald's and save a bundle doing it... I'm envious.

Where did you get the good deal on the Passat?
    "Where did you get the good deal on the Passat?"

I picked it up in South Bend, IN at Gurley Leep MotorWerks (Mercedes, Audi, VW). I was pleased with the deal, and the way I was treated.

They also have an 05 E320 CDI. I looked at it, but didn't think that the bells and whistles were enough to warrant paying double the price of the VW. When you boil it down, a car is just that, a car, transportation.

Aside from the CDI, they also have in stock an 05 Passat TDI Wagon, and a few Jetta TDIs (wagon and sedan). Didn't make my way over to the Golfs and Bugs, so they might have some in stock. Only reason I saw the Jettas was that they were lined up next to the Passats.
    I want a wagon but am not sure if the Passat is that much more of a vehicle than the Jetta wagon. The Jetta TDI gets much better mileage. I sat in them both and did not see a lot of difference. They both seemed small after getting out of a Suburban.
    gagrice,

I moved this conversation over to Passat TDI thread...
  • adeitchleyadeitchley Member Posts: 6
    I was looking for used Jettas, but can't find what I want. So I'm looking at 05 TDI models. It seems likely that the financing/deals might get better in March since the new 06 model is coming, or is that just driven by whether the lot/region has a bunch of 05's to get rid of? The 1.9/2.9 financing is good but I would like to wait if it's going to be 0%, or hurry up and buy by Feb 28 if it's going to go up. Is there any way to know these things? Edmunds says they are selling at MSRP around here and the three local dealers have several TDIs but not lots of them.
  • billsbuddiebillsbuddie Member Posts: 41
    I purchased an 05 Golf GLS TDI last Friday for $100 over invoice and I got the 1.9% interest. Don't let the dealer tell you that no one is discounting TDIs, it just is not true.
    What dealership in what town? I may have to get on a plane...
    "I got the 1.9% interest"

Yeah, I had heard they had the good interest on the Jettas, Golfs and Bugs. I got 3.9% on my Passat...through VW...and they weren't supposed to have any "good" financing, and I consider 3.9% on a TDI pretty good when they aren't offering any financing deals.

So what does $100 over invoice translate to in price of the car?
    Sorry, I included the saleman's name which is not allowed on this forum so my post was deleted.

The "translation" is as follows"

Jim Clark VW, Lawrence, KS. about 50 miles from Kansas City.

2005 Golf GLS TDI Manual, ESP, and CWP MSRP $20,585.

Price was Edmunds Invoice + $329.00 VW Ad Share + $100 = $19,671. Minus VW Loyalty $500.00 = $19,171 + tax. This dealership does not charge any "FEES".
  • ajax1ajax1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Golf GLS TDI Automatic with ESP yesterday and I paid the following

MSRP : $21,550

Price Paid : $20,000 - $500 (VW loyalty discount) = $19, 500
    Doc Fee : $350
    Tag : $57

Flow Motors VW, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Sounds like a good deal.
  • flash9flash9 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my 2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon from Flow, (45k in 20 months) it was the most pleasurable place to purchase a car. We actually drove from Raleigh to purchase our car a year and half ago.
  • tdidawgtdidawg Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 05 TDI Jetta Wagon with ESP in November 04 from the VW dealer in Cary, NC. I tried to deal with the dealer in Durham, Nc, where I live, but got nowhere (he actually hung up on me). I paid $19,700 plus tax, title, tags, & a $35o dealer fee. Thought it was all reasonable. This my second TDI. My son totalled my first one after I only had it 45 days. He ain't driving this one.
  • adis21adis21 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I bought 05 passat GLS TDI with lether package, 17 wheel, ESP and destination charge.
    The sticker price is 28,300 and I made a deal 27000 and 1.9 interest for 48month.
    ONe of odd thing is when I made a deal dealer told me that I need pay for additional fee for cleaning and fill up gas and put the matress...
    Dealer charge that $430 something so my purchase price was $27430 plus tax title and tag. I want know whether my deal is fair and dealer fee is mandatory in this business
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    There is a VW dealer in Langhorne PA (just outside of Philly, I believe) that is selling TDI Jettas at invoice (the sales guy responsible for internet marketing is selling lots of them). I live in CT. and could only find 1 dealer (Langdon VW in Meriden) that would discount the sticker price on a TDI Jetta (they gave a $1K below sticker discount). I really hate playing the "lets make a deal" game typical at most dealerships. There are a # of posts on tdiclub.com from people that have purchased cars through this dealer.
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    If you are looking for a TDI Jetta, and are anywhere near Philly, PA, I would strongly suggest contacting the internet sales guy at a VW dealer in Langhorne, PA. I purchased an 04 PD GLS TDI Jetta in August from Langdon VW in Meriden, CT in August. I paid 22K (out the door, all fees included in this price). They discounted the sticker price 1K, and I had bought my daughter a Jetta recently so I got a 1K owner loyalty rebate. They were the only VW dealer in CT. that was willing to give more than a 1 or 2 hundred dollar discount of off sticker in CT. (most just told me that they don't discount Diesels because they are hot sellers). I feel that most internet sales coordinators at VW dealers don't really look at the job as an opportunity to really expand their sales base by offering a significant discount to entice people to travel outside of their normal purchasing radius. Personally, I find the entire typical process of "lets make a deal" new car purchasing (oh, I'll have to check with my manager on that) as rather disgusting; I just want to cut to the chase and know what the bottom line is. This VW dealer in Langhorne, PA has posted on tdiclub.com that he will sell at invoice price and he has been getting people to travel from quite a distance to take advantage of the great prices that he is offering. The Meriden dealership where I purchased my Jetta is about 40 miles from my house so I would never travel that far to have a recall or warranty work done, so I really don't see much differance in where you buy a car (sales and service are 2 completely separate entities).
  • breezleybreezley Member Posts: 9
    On March 09 2005 I test drove a Jetta TDI. Seemed like a nice car but mind you it was after a long day and I was sick and on cold medication :) The next day my fiance and I went back to buy the car. It was the evening.. and I couldn't see the details but looked great. Got halfway home and realized that the financial people didn't take my down payment check. No biggie they said they would call the next AM to check on me and how my new Jetta was doing. I thought I'd mention it then. Got it home and the next morning and realized there was a ding in the rear passenger door. Ok I'll mention this when they call me. Oops they didn't call. No one called. At about 3pm then next day I tracked down the finance lady and she didn't even realize that it was missing. So that day (day 2) I brought down the check and showed told the sales person about the ding. She said to call and make an appointment for the day when they have the ‘dent wizard’ guy come in (Monday). Between that time I realize that the alignment is off, there is play in the brakes and the trunk now won’t pop open when you hit the button. I called her back he got an appointment set up through her and had made arrangements for a loaner car. She said bring a list of what’s wrong. She said your appointment is at 9am but you can bring it in any time past 7:30 am. So I got there at about 8am Monday morning. Checked in my car and they told me they had no loaners. They would need to call a rental car agency. No prepared car.. no one waiting for me.. they had to call it. At 8:55am the rental shows up for me. I have to be at work at 9am. EXCELLENT. I am then asked to pay some additional insurance fees for this car – are you kidding me ? – I don’t have time for this by then. I just wave whatever and sign and drive. 11am I get a call from the service department and they can’t take the dent out with dent wizard it will need to go to the body shop – um well I’m not excited about having my new car bondoed but he said he would check with my sales rep because I said I bought it with a dent in it so you all need to take care of it. He said he would get back to me. HE didn’t. I called at 2ish and left a message for him. He called me back at 3pm let me know they are still working on the alignment – alignment on a car I have had for two weeks. It was scheduled for 9am. Ok so I’m thinking they are a making their way though my list. But he says that it still has to go to the body shop and will be in till Thursday. But I have a rental. Um ya great guy.

To recap: I bought it, someone was supposed to call me the next day to check on me – no call no one cared, called to make an appointment with arrangements for a car – got there… no car and 55 min wait for one.. no call from service on what the outcome of my dent delima was and I am tracking “THEM”down. The whole time I’m filling out paperwork the sales rep was saying “what can we do to get a 5 when VW calls” Man you couldn’t buy a 5 outta me those people are SLACK and I’m calling VW this evening to give them my two cents. I used to own a Pontiac. Car sucked .. great service. Should of kept it. I’m starting to think I got a lemon.
    Wow!! What a bad experience. I would call VWoA as you stated, but I would also call the dealer back and ask to speak to the head guy/gal of the dealership(Owner/General Manager). Tell them your story and reiterate that you were asked about giving 5s on the survey and that with your experience so far you could barely give a 1. That might get the dealership jumping. It might not also, but it's worth a try.

Also, you ARE NOT REQUIRED to accept insurance on a rental. Even if the dealership provides the loaner/rental you usually must provide a credit card. Most credit cards these days will cover rental insurance. Also, some auto insurance policies cover these coverages.

Good Luck!!
    This post will be deleted....you can't sell cars in Edmunds Forums..
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I was all set on getting the left over 2005 JEtta TDI. Went to the dealership by me, only to find out that TDI's are outlawed in NY state. The only way to get a TDI is to get a used one. They had one used baby blue JEtta TDI GLS on the used lot. I test drove it, and it was OK. Kind of slow, but lots of torque. I could just drop the clutch without gassing it, and the car went. We go back to the office, and I was told that this 2002 TDI with 48,000 will cost me $17,500. I laughed. Told them the brand new GLS/GLI 1.8T's on the new lot are $17,800, clearly marked. They asked me what I thought a good price would have been, I told them I did not want to insult them. And walked out. They lost a sale because of their ridiculous pricing. I can live without a TDI if I have to give an arm and a leg for used one. I went in prepapred to pay $18K for a new one. After checking into the used market TDI's, had they asked $12K for it, I would have bought it.
  • yyzhouyyzhou Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody know why the rating for 2005 Golf is far below the 2004 golf? and do you know what price is appropriate for 2005 golf GL 4 door 2.0? I went to the dealer today and they gave me the $17520(not including tax),is it too expensive?Thanks.
    they gave me the $17520(not including tax),is it too expensive?Thanks.

There are many dealers that will sell at invoice or below. That would be closer to $15,500.
  • elvisdogelvisdog Member Posts: 1
    2005 Passat TDI wagon, GLS with 17" wheels and mudflaps, sticker of $27, 834, out the door for $25,200 -- how am I doing? I feel pretty good but should I strive for better? just curious. going back tomorrow to finalize this, unless I talk myself out of it. Thanks.
    I think you are doing great. I just bought an '05 Passat GLS TDI Sedan sticker was $27,934 and I paid $25,700 thought it was a pretty darn good deal. $2200 off MSRP. You're $500 cheaper than that, or $2700 off MSRP. Go for it and enjoy.
    but I contacted with three nearest dealers,all of them gave the price about $17500(not including tax).what could I do now? contact more dealers or bargain with the dealers?
    How could you get the VW loyalty discout? The dealers told me there is no promotions...
  • stujostujo Member Posts: 3
    I saw on another message board there was a dealer in LA who specialized in selling used TDIs in CA with 7500 miles so they can be registered.

Does anyone know the dealership?

thanks
    I just closed the deal over the phone and by email on a 2005 Stonehenge gray Passat GLS Wagon TDI. It has Anthracite leather with wood trim, 17" wheels, splash guards etc. Total out the door price was $3000 under MSRP $26,589. They have several in stock. Go to the Internet salesman to get the best deal. Very pleasant fellow to deal with. Very responsive by email and cell phone. Flying up in a week to do a road trip and check it out. I will keep you posted on mileage etc. Highly recommend them...
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    What is the name of the dealer and what state is the dealer in?

THANKS FROM FLORIDA