Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bluetooth Technology

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Acura
Sometimes referred to as "Personal Area Networks" this short-range radio frequency interconnect technology is all the rage with drivers.

Here's the place to discuss Bluetooth!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    ok, nobody cares?

Steve, Host
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    I have just found this site...I care...I want to know/learn more about bluetooth...

Specifically...related to automobiles and Acura (RL & TL).
    Good!

I just got a Kensington wireless finder plus gizmo for finding wifi hot spots (saves having to turn the laptop on).

It also sniffs for Bluetooth, but I haven't had that light illuminate yet.

Steve, Host
  • njawdrivernjawdriver Member Posts: 23
    OK - I'm another bluetooth user - hooked on my Moto V600 and Jabra BT250 headset (I've had people think I'm 'secret service' when I wear it!)...

Are there any recommendations for bluetooth car audio systems - radio / CD combined with bluetooth phone?

...or one step further - any (non built-in) systems that include radio / navigation with bluetooth (dialing and personal directions from the nav screen)?

Thanks for any info!
  • focusjcfocusjc Member Posts: 10
    Just noticed this site. One suggestion, Steve, could you list the Forum also under Acura TL and RL? I read a lot discussions about Bluetooth under TL forum and people had no place but to post them under Navigation forum.

I love the Bluetooth HandsFree in my wife's TL so much, I went search and bought a Motorola portable speaker HF800 for myself. And it turns out to be even easier to use than TL's, but of course the sound quality not as good. I think Hands-free speaker would be one of the best application of Bluetooth.
    Hi njawdriver, you might like to check out the Motorola HF800 speaker which is a portable one I enjoy using in my old car. Sony Ericsson and Motorolla also make the systems you permanantly install in the car, using your car stereo's speakers.

Acura TL and the new RL has this system built in. And they are nice you can talk and drive without the headset in your ear. Mercedes has the handfree system for long but did not use the Bluetooth and you have to have the right phone to plug in a socket. With Bluetooth, you just have your phone in your pocket, and it hooks up as soon as you get into the car.
    Great suggestion! (d'oh).

Steve, Host
  • mozgifixmozgifix Member Posts: 6
    Can anybody recommend adapter for my non-bluetooth cell phone(Kyocera 7135) so I can enjoy

my RL ?

Regards,
    Search the Web under "Bluetooth Phone Adapter" should get you some options. Jabra A210 for example, just plug into cell phone's 2.5mm headset jack. But I have no experience to tell how well they work with RL.
  • pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    A lot if not most of the vehicle manufacturers these days have some sort of 'handsfree' system integrated into their top end models, i.e., bluetooth. Before you purchase either the manufacturers hands free kit or a 3rd party kit make sure your current phone is compatible with the system. Blue tooth is a great tool and I personally luv using it. I mean I dont know how i lived without it before in my car. I currently use a sony ericsson 910 phone with the sony ericsson HBH-602 bluetooth wireless headset. I was going to purchase the u-connect handsfree kit for my '05 chrysler pacifica but there were issues of full compatibility with my current phone. So I went with the headset option. People who have not used or know of such a device should DEFINATELY go out and look into!
  • newguy4newguy4 Member Posts: 3
    1st time on. I get my TL in 1 week. I'd like to use the bluetooth, but Verizon only offers 1 phone, the Motorola V710. For those with experience, how does the V710 work with the TL bluetooth, and how is the phone overall?
  • crimsono2crimsono2 Member Posts: 31
    If you live in California, based on this article, you are exactly the person that needs to get into this class action lawsuit. Apparently, Verizon limits the bluetooth capability of the 710 so that it cannot communicate with other devices (that aren't cell phones).

http://channels.lockergnome.com/mobile/archives/20050108_motorola- _v710_class_action_lawsuit_for_crippled_bluetooth.phtml
    The reports I've seen the last few days make the connection between Bluetooth and Lexus pretty nebulous, but if you'd like a little FUD for the afternoon:

Lexus a nexus between cars and phone viruses? (CNET)

Steve, Host
  • u04919u04919 Member Posts: 9
    My Verizon V710 phone works very well with my TL'05 via bluetooth.
  • newguy4newguy4 Member Posts: 3
    An earlier response stated the Motorola V710 had problems connected with non cell phones and that there might be a class action suit pending. I'm in the bay area. Have you had any problems with calls going through to either cell phones or land lines. Also, hows the audio in the TL work when using blue tooth?
  • timber104timber104 Member Posts: 24
    I am getting a Toyota Prius with Bluetooth for the phone. But my phone is a Nextel, How will the 2-way walkie talkie work with the system? or will I need to wear an ear piece or will it work through the car?

Thanks,
  • u04919u04919 Member Posts: 9
    I have no problem receiving or sending calls with my V710 while using bluetooth in my TL. The audio automatically adjusts when receiving or sending a call.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    My Verizon V710 phone works very well with my TL'05 via bluetooth.

"works very well"? Can you transfer phone contacts from you Verizon phone to the TL?
  • hayfeverhayfever Member Posts: 1
    I've been using the Motorola V710 with the Jabra BT250 head set for a month, and I'm completely satisfied. But the best thing I like about the V710 is using the U-connect system in my 300C.
  • kt-tlkt-tl Member Posts: 1
    I have bought an LG PM-325 cell phone under Sprint PCS wireless carrier for my

2004 TL. it works perfectly other than the fact that my incoming call numbers (&

other data) don't show up on the dashboard LCD (a shortcoming for this

particular model phone which i already knew about before purchasing). The calls

come in crystal-clear for landline or other cellular calls. Also, the audio is very

loud! Be prepared to leave the volume setting between 02 & 05, unless

you want the whole neighborhood & its traffic to hear your intimate

conversations. (Don't learn the hard way like i did; I'm in the doghouse with

the Mrs.)

Go here:

http://www.handsfreelink.com

Click on the PHONE COMPATIBILITY link. (since not all BlueTooth phones will work

with the TL).

Research which phone models you like.

Hope this helps!
  • inemerinemer Member Posts: 44
    Read this article before you get your phone - http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1063
  • wr_gwr_g Member Posts: 33
    There is some initial simple programming req'd for the TL's Hands Free Link System and the V710 must be adapted to sync with the car. The HFL directions and the V710 instructions are reasonably good but it could take 20 minutes or so to program both. Once programmed, the car recognizes the phone and you can send and receive calls easily. One hint, make sure you don't have phone set on autoanswer;if so, it will be a problem receiving calls in the car
  • newbie2newbie2 Member Posts: 1
    Have a three day old 2005 Toyota Prius. I purchased the V710 to work with my car. I had zero problems connecting with the car and have received calls. My problem is transferring my cell phone numbers into the car. The car is asking me to send the numbers from the phone. No mention in the manual from Motorola. I called Verizon and they had no clue and transferred me to Motorola who had no idea. I'm sure someone must know at Motorola but not the Tech I talked to. I can't manually enter the numbers into the Prius system because it's only recognizes Blue tooth and with that technology why should you have to manually enter anything. I am so frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • jcfbrockjcfbrock Member Posts: 1
    Newbie2 Ihave the same problem with a freshly ppurchased Motorola v710 and a new Prius. Can't transfer my phonebook to the car, and don't get any audible signal for incoming calls. I've asked Toyota dealer for help and they are reearching.
    newbie2, jcfbrock:

No need to keep trying V710 with Prius (or any vehicles with Bluetooth support). It does not work in terms of transferring phone contacts, files, etc. because the OBEX support was deliberately turned off by Verizon. There is a class action in California on this. Join the club.

Since Prius does not allow keying in phone contacts by yourself, you are left with no other choice than dialing the number yourself when the vehicle is stationary.
  • phillybigeasyphillybigeasy Member Posts: 31
    I have a base 04 MDX and was interested in installing Motorola's bluetooth car kit. It states that it can be incorporated your vehicles entertainment system - in other words, when you place a call or receive a call, your radio/cd goes to mute and the call comes through the speakers. Has anyone had this installed in their MDX? If so, does it work?
  • kylepkylep Member Posts: 7
    For what it's worth, I have the same LG PM-325 phone through Sprint and my incoming call numbers do show up on the dashboard LCD...not sure why, but they do! Agree with all your other comments.
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    I have paired the v710 (Verizon) and the Lexus.

It mutes the radio and auto answers the phone. OK...great so far.

I have heard that you can load the phone numbers one at a time.

Is this possible and how?

If it is not possible, how do you put phone numbers in the phone system on the Lexus?

I just can't figure it out. I am willing to manually put in one number and name at a time, but cannot figure out how????

Thanks.

H
  • guptaabguptaab Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone:
    As you know, there is only one Verizon cell phone that has bluetooth feature and I don't wish to pay for the expensive phone (710).

I was wondering if there is an adapter that will turn my Motorola V60 phone so I can use bluetooth handsfree feature in my new lexus RX330. I saw quite a few of those adapters but they were mainly meant for headset for the respective manufacturer (Jabra, Motorola etc).

Please let me know your suggestions or experience
    for a low cost solution.

Thanks in advance
    Abhijit
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    How vulnerable are these links to phone viruses?

There is a real concern a phone virus transmitted by blue tooth could end up invading the vehicle computer systems.
  • rbp1rbp1 Member Posts: 1
    I am a Verizon subscriber and am interested in purchasing a Motorola v710 so that I can use the bluetooth w/my Lexus LS430. However, my Lexus dealer checked the list of Motorola telephones that operate in a Lexus w/bluetooth and only the Motorola 600 model is on Lexus' list as being compatible. I would appreciate it very much if you could confirm that yoiu are able to receive and dial calls using you Verizon service on your Motorola V710 while in your Lexus without having to purchase a special add-on adapter. Do you also have a LS430? Thank you.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There is a real concern a phone virus transmitted by blue tooth could end up invading the vehicle computer systems.

There is concern in some quarters but it's another question entirely about how real it is. At this stage it appears to be a theoretical possibility with precious little in terms of specifics.

tidester, host
  • jdoddsjdodds Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 5.7 Ltd last week - Sooooo I have a V180 - I guess it aint bluetooth ..

annoying - the econnect seems pretty cool. WHat Motorola phones are bluetooth enabled?
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    As stated above. '04 Lexus L430.

V710 on Verizon.

Bluetooth connection for receiving and sending calls works great.

You cannot load phone book. You can use one touch dialing while driving, if the numbers are put into their proper one touch area.

Have done new FW upgrade yet. This seems to correct ringer problem.

Good luck.

H
  • wr_gwr_g Member Posts: 33
    I have an 04 TL and initially I had trouble answering calls that came in using the Motorola V710. The phone would ring and show up on the screen. However, when I pushed the steering wheel answer button, it dropped the call. Turns out I had the phone programmed on "Autoanswer". When I disabled this feature, the problem went away. I didn't have to buy an adapter or other features. Just some trial and error in the programming
  • timber104timber104 Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone have a nextel & a Toyota Prius?

Does the two work together with the 2-way or is a head set needed?

I have heard that the Nextel 930 with have Blue tooth built in, all the older ones need to have something added?

Does anyone know?
  • wrothwroth Member Posts: 1
    Great news, could you please either post where to get the upgrade or be so kind as to email it to me at dwizard@mindspring.com. Thanks. W
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    The following was received from Motorola 12/30/04 regards V710 and the Lexus LS430:
    Regarding your concern, we regret to let you know that you will not be able to synchronize information from your V710 with your car via Bluetooth. Although the V710 is a Bluetooth enabled phone, Bluetooth is simply the connection that allows two devices to “connect”. Profiles are the software built into devices to enable communication between compatible devices. This is important because if two devices do not have the same profiles, communication will not be possible. The V710 has the Handsfree, Headset and DUN (Dial Up Internet Connection) but it does not have the OBEX profile that allows you to exchange information via Bluetooth.

This means that, due to the lack of the OBEX profile, the V710 phone can only support Bluetooth capability for pairing-up with the handsfree or head device and for using the phone as a modem. It cannot be used for data synchronization like phonebook and calendar, not for media transfer, like pictures and ringtones.

However, we are happy to inform you that later next year, a solution should be available, that should allow you to transfer information from your V710 via Bluetooth.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

We hope that you find this information useful and we remain at your entire disposal for future questions you may wish to ask.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please contact our Cellular Information Center at 1-800-331-6456. Our business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 7:00 PM CST.
    If you have Verizon, V710 could be your only choice. However, the OBEX is turned off.

I went with Cingular (Verizon lost me as a customer!) due to Bluetooth. I have V551 and it works great with Prius. There is no way to enter phone book manually into a Prius. Therefore, transfering phone contacts is very important to users.
  • ohiomikeohiomike Member Posts: 1
    Ceric- I assume a Razr V3 would also work ?
    No doubt.
    I heard the battery does not last very long per charge. Watch out for that.
  • joec1210joec1210 Member Posts: 10
    Can someone please tell me which compatible phone I should buy for my new car? I have a 2005 Lexus RX330 with bluetooth technology. I want to be able to use my phone with out touching it and be able to hear it. Are there any good phones compatible with this car for Verizon Wireless? If not Verizon, anyone else? Do I need some sort of secondary speaker to hear well? Is this thing even worth it in your opinion? Please let me know because the idea of being able to just call people by shouting out some command and then be able to hear them talking back to me through a good speaker sounds too good to be true. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks - Joe - Pictures1210@aol.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I see you found this discussion!

tidester, host
  • gravitygravity Member Posts: 2
    Can i turn off bluetooth while in the car (TL)? Say, for instance, I have passengers who are not worthy enough to listen in on a phone call, or it happens to be private.

I'm looking into getting an Acure TL and I'm exploring the options.

Thx
  • zkirtzkirt Member Posts: 5
    There are two phone books in the TL which acura does not tell the user about them!!
    One is voice activated in the phone menu via the Blue tooth. The other one is in the navigation system well hidden under:"personal addresses". This is the the left bottom option on the "menu" screen!! It took me a while to find it. It is great since you can program a bunch of your friends phones and their addresses, like in your PDA, then you can use the navigation to dial these number for you ( you can do it by voice as well). It is usefull since you do not have to program all your numbers in the phone book via blue tooth. It is a pain to remember which number for which friend!! and also it is difficult to command the blue tooth voice activation when you have a bunch of noisy kids in the back!! the nav can make it easy, you can use the buttons( touch screen) or joy stick.
    If you have a nav system, try it , it is really cool!!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Yes, you can turn the bluetooth off so it acts as a normal cell phone.
    Can I voice dial from the phone book stored in my cellphone thru the Bluetooth speaker? Our TL is without the Nav though. I've been hoping I can do that when I drive my wife's TL without changing her phone book in the car system. Thanks.
  • zkirtzkirt Member Posts: 5
    That I have not tried. The phone book via blue tooth is stored in the car memory and is independant of the phone or the stored entries in the phone itself. I have not figured out a way to to transfer the phone data in the car BT !!
  • elpasopupelpasopup Member Posts: 2
    Can someone help me. I am locked out of my HandsFree Link on my brand new 05 Acura TL. Somehow while programing phone numbers, I locked the handsfree and I didn't get the 4 digit code on the display in time. Now I can't use the handsfreelink. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.