Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• truethattruethat Member Posts: 123
    I don't think so.
    Do you even realize the price difference in Korea? Not to mention the difference
    in engine capacity? (The biggest engine used in Grandeur is V6 3.3L, same
    engine used in US sonatas.)

They have BMW, Lexus, MB, Audi (and soon Infiniti) competing in the market
    for a segment that the 7-series competes in. They even sell Maserati. The market
    is obviously quite small, and there are a lot less distinction within the luxury
    sedan segments but that does not mean that people consider Azera as the same
    (or even similar) level as BMW7. Don't tell me Azera competes against BMW7,
    that's just ridiculous.
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    please read carefully. I said the grandeur is like for the koreans that the 7 series is for the us. The actual 7 series is considered like a bentley in korea. BMW 7 series goes for almost 150, 000 grand.

the grandeur is about 40-45 thousand dollars in korea(more expensive than will be sold in the us)
    That's just ridiculous. Stop saying that.
    Even considering the difference in average incomes between two countries, no
    one in Korea has that kind of high regard for grandeur. Sure, it's more luxurious
    from Korean standards, but Grandeur does not have that kind of stature.
    You are wrong, and some people find your comments offensive. If I were a Korean
    living in Seoul, (and have certain interests in cars), I'd be offended.
    I don't know if you are Korean or not, but if you said something like that to a
    discussion board in a Korean website, I'm sure you'd meet some angry people.
    I hate to turn the messageboard into pointless discussions (and yet I did it again).
    Shame on me.

MSRP guesses? I find myself moving quickly up the laddar of vehicle tree. I was considering (and was very close to buying) Sonata for a while, but I am waiting
    and trying to save more money for something more expensive.

I know XG350 starts around 25,000. I keep hearing Azera will start below 30,000,
    but how much below are we talking about? I'll be able to buy Azera for camry
    money right (so to speak, I guess)?
    If a cellphone in korea and japan that has 7 megapixels but worth like a 2 megapixels one down in the states for the same price because of technological advanacement differences, why is that an offense to the us or anyone??

It is the same in korea. The average income in korea is 15 grand us a year. The grandeur is prob the most luxurious car out now with all sorts of equipments even though its a front drive.

In the states the 7 series is prob one of the most luxurious sedans for a the common people. So how is my comment offensive?

Someday i'm sure hyundai will come with a 7 series fighter, but up till now , the grandeur is the comparison.

Please stop freaking out, and i'm done with this arguing with you
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's keep the focus on the Azera that will debut in the US, please. The argument about Hyundai competing with the 7-Series in Korea is off-topic in this discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    notes from the host. In my post above, I did not imply that "just one more post on this topic" would be acceptable.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I don't think it helps much by erasing the posts, but a host has that kinda power.
    For the record, I find the host's last remark as snappy and useless as any one of
    our comments.

Anyhow...
    What are people's take on the name? Azera.
    I would have to say it's one of the worst name Hyundai could have come up with.
    Yes, I heard it means "era of A to Z" and all, but it sounds so weird and unfitting
    for a car that's supposed represent the finest of any automaker.
    I tend to think keeping the XG or even TG380 would have been a lot nicer. Or even
    Grandeur for that matter. (Maybe people will laugh at it given Hyundai's
    reputation?)

The photos seem to have different front grille designs (In that some
    photos seem to indicate thicker cromes than others). Am I seeing things?
    If not, which one is real?
    I like thinner versions better (if there was such a thing).

See what I'm talking about? The top part is thick anyways, but the sides of
    the grille (and the bottom) looks much thinner in the auto show pic.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The top pic has a 3-slat grille, the bottom pic has a 4-slat grille, and some spy photos show a scallop-style vertical grille. Hyundai likes to use different grille inserts in different markets.
    vertical grilles? Are you serious? I've never seen one.
    So, which one are we going to see in the US market?
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The 4-slat grille is used on the KDM version, so I would guess the Azera will use the 3-slat which would also be a better match for the grille used on the Tuscon and Sonata.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's a link to the Hyundai Azera web page. It shows pics of the US spec Azera.

US Hyundai Azera

The grille shown is the 3 bar one. :)
  • johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    According to some one in the Hyundai office

The dealers will receive the preliminary informational, brochures in the month of September.

Azera information may be updated in another 2 weeks a month. In their website
    Some information such as Trunk space, different packages. Etc will be added.
    EPA mileage results will be known in the month of September. They expect the gas mileage similar to Buick La Crosse 28 highway. The dealer will receive the cars in Late October.

The difference in the length between sonata and Azera is going to be only 3 inches.The base model weighs 120 pounds(3600) more than Sonata LX.Fully equipped Azera will cost less than the Base ES330.
    I know. That's where one of the picture comes from.
    The reason I'm confused is Hyundai has been showing 4-bar grille at auto shows
    in the states. Plus, all the recent photos seem to show 4-bar grilles. The website
    is pretty old, so I'm not so certain that it'll be a 3-bar grille.
    Obviously you can tell I prefer the 4-bar grille.
    I don't know... which do you guys like better?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Three bars or four, the grille is still the weakest styling point of the car. Sides and interior look great.
    I'm not sure about the same either, but they apparently wanted to use the meaning of "Blue Sky" from the word Azure(french?)

Hyundai said they wanted to make their cars more personal rather than attaching letter names which can make the car more imporsonal and cold>

i don"t think grandeur would work because i get the sense that this car is one amazing high end luxury car which is not in the states as it is felt in korea

though in the pictures the front looks a little odd the more i look at the car the more i like it
    the front nose is huge gives it a mmore authoritative look

i think this car will at least tripple the previous xg sales at least
    i"ve read that this car has almost two point five the nvh levels compared to the sonata
    should be a very large quiet car lots of equipment some style at an amazing price
    I think I like the vertical much better. I hope they sell them in the states.
    I thought someone messed up with the photo at first. :blush:
    I found a Korean website with lots of pics. Took me a while to figure out though.

Lots of pics. The last one could be the version we are getting... maybe...
  • dajakedajake Member Posts: 5
    I'm on vacation in Korea.I think this video clip will help you guyz a lot about AZERA but the editor is korean and narration is too. If your friends are Korean, ask them to translate it..Tnx.

http://www.autojoins.com/content/auto_view.asp?news_section=auto_view&pageshow=2###
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    dajake:

Great audio/video. Although I do not understand Korean the sights and sounds were communicated in a way that gave me a mild adrenaline rush. Can't wait to test drive this baby.
    As to the horizontal or vertical grille, I would prefer no grill at all remiscent of the first generation Q45.
    Those front lights are amazing. The detail gives it a very luxurious look.

I think this car will pretty much detrhwon the lacrosse, and will give the Avalon a serious challenge.

The interior is solid yet unspectacular and classy like the Avalon but i'll bet it is just as quiet, offers more equipment, looks better, its bigger, and will be at least a couple grand cheaper. could be a good battle for that small almost luxurious market
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    Did anyone else pick up some things that I thought I picked up on during the video, like the keyless operation of the car. It looked to me that the keys were lying on the console, and not in the ignition. That would be a big plus. It's almost like the '05 Avalon. He was showing how you were able to open the car just by grabbing the handle, and not using the remote to unlock the car, another feature on the Avalon. Did anyone else see that there was an icon on the console for power folding mirrors. I read somewhere about that possibly being a feature on the car. I picked up on the turn signals in the mirrors, the power pedals, and what looked like a switch on the steering column for the power tilt/scope wheel, as well as power lumbar in the driver's seat. I really hope that most of these features will be carried over to our version. I remember someone asking about the reverse sensors, which you could see in the rear bumper. That would be another plus as far as my decision with this car. I wasn't very interested in the navi system, but it did seem like a nice setup. Did anyone else pick up on anything else that I might have missed? I realize that even though I didn't have a clue as to what was being said, if what I was able to pick up on in the video is somewhat accurate, this car will be a winner, at least for me...... :shades:
  • dajakedajake Member Posts: 5
    Ok.. First of all, My Brother currently owns NEW AZERA( Grandeur in Korea).
    The biggest difference between Korean Model and American model is NAVIGATION system. Korean AZERA's got navigation as an option but US Azera doesn't. You can watch News, Shopping, Skylife(satellite TV in your Vehicle, only in Korea), Internet, highway and city traffic jam information and etc.etc..I mean you can't really compare this against American Azera b/c I think Hyundai USA is not considering Navigation as an option. 1st Reason; It is true that Hyundai USA will make Premium Vehicle such as Lexus, Mercedes, BMW in couple years, Korean Hyundai already has a premium car It's called "EQUUS". For more information visit Hyundai Korea. I know u guyz can't read Korean but at least you can easily check out the vehicles on the left side of this website..Then there will is English..Sorry...The price of EQUUS ( VIP model) is about $73000.
    http://www.hyundai-motor.com/index.html

PS.: about the horsepower in the video, that was 233hp but American people do love more horses so it will be 265hp..Thnx
    Hyundai USA website needs to be updated soon.

There is no information about the trunk space (luggage space) in their website..

. But according to some one I talked with this car will be available in late October.
    But for Azera which only weighs 200 pounds or about, lengthy by 3.5 inches, than the Sonata V6, probably 3 .3 liter 233 hp sonata V6 engine may be good enough and may save some gas..
    I
    That's a pretty horrible reason for thinking Azera won't have a NAV.
    If you go to Sonata forum you'll find people begging for a nav. Americans want
    a nav as much as Koreans do (maybe more).
    There have been lots of speculation about nav system in sonatas, and it is a
    consensus that even Sonata will start having nav systems next year. (Some
    people even heard that it will be available this fall.)
    There will be both 233/265 engines for Azeras available in the states.
    It's the same with Sonata (or any other Hyundai model) that American versions
    get upgraded in engines.
    We all know about Equus. You just have to go back a couple pages to find our
    discussion on it.

If you want to teach someone, bring something new (or at least well-informed),
    would you? :P
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    When will accurate pics of us model of Azera be available?
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    Does anyone know if Azera grille will be vertical or horizontal?
    The pics on the Hyundaiusa website has the same grille (but bad angles).
  • m3lsm3ls Member Posts: 7
    to buy a sedan car under 35K planned. Toyota Avalon, I think, is best so far as I searched. But I wonder whether Hyundai Azera is enough to wait. anybody knows when it comes out practically?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I believe early October for the Azera's debut.

Also consider the Lucerne and 300 if you're shopping for a sub $35K fullsize sedan.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd wait for the Azera. Because even if you didn't like the Azera, it's a pretty strong contender and I'll bet that Toyota would offer incentives on the Avalon to move the metal.
    2008 Equus...
    (I know it's a little off topic but I don't think there is a forum on Equus.)
    Anyways, it shows how serious Hyundai is about their luxury lineup.
    In that sense, it's important for us, too IMO. :P
    There's a relatively new thread on the 2008 Equus now.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    truethat,

In this photo the Azera looks pretty ordinary and bland. Suddenly I am beginning to wonder if this car is a worthy challenger to the Avalon or Lucerne, especially when a base Avalon XL can be had for $25K.
  • schuck1schuck1 Member Posts: 14
    I'm starting to wonder how serious Hyundai is about challenging for the higher end cars. All the other models in the competitive marketplace have NAV. Some have voice activated radio, heater and other controls as well, and I have seen/heard no mention of this being offered on the Azera either. In order to compete, you must have the "bells and whistles" and gadgets that appeal to the US market. The NAV system from the Grandeur would not be allowed in the US as it would "distract" the driver, or so is the law. NO TV within the viewing area of the driver. But not all NAV units have the TV option and therefore the NAV could be marketed without this option. Jaguar does it and rather well I must add. I used to own a Jag X-type with the touch screen NAV unit. It worked flawlessly.

I say, build a car with the options that the buyer wants. Why should you introduce a car with a big splash, and not offer what the people want? Especially when the Sonata will have NAV. That to me is kind of an insult to the purchaser that a less influencial car would have some options that the "top of the line" does not.

If I was a car designer, which I'm not, but used to be an auto mechanic for years, It would be a no brainer. Build a base, medium and all out optioned versions of the car and price them at a descent, inexpensive, fair prices. Remember, Hyundai still has the best warranty available, which sells cars as well. Give em what they WANT!!

Steve
  • jhpmichealjhpmicheal Member Posts: 14
    I disagree with you schuck1.
    As you say you were a mechanic, mechanic's main concern of the car is the quality inside out of the car, not it's accessories. I know this based on the fact of taking introduction class of Engineering. And at least I know mechanics love to tear out parts, and they sure have a lot of knowledge to how to build top-notched vehicle, but not tiny little accessories. For one thing, numbers don't lie, and Hyundai has proven that those numbers certainly do impress the technicians, mechnics and engineers.
    I won't lie to you, I don't know why Hyundai is not having NAVs, but isn't it obvious that you could buy a better and much more cheaper NAVs in retail store? I'm not saying my words are absolute truth, but could it be a business strategy? You know the whole survival in the jungle thing in your business courses, the output has to be more or equal to input. I went to Korea too, and I am very sure that they have much better and more accessories than the cars in US.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    The grill is a 4 slat horizontal arrangement. There is a picture of it in the 2006 Tiburon brochure.
  • schuck1schuck1 Member Posts: 14
    Boy, Hyundai makes a SUV that is outstanding, just a shame it is not sent to the US. It is called the Terracan and it comes with an optional turbo diesel!!!! This thing is outstanding. Sorry for mixing this into the Azera board, but I was so impressed with this car, I think Hyundai deserves a big "ATTA BOY" on car appearance and quality. Now, I can't wait to see the Azera if it has the same build quality as the Terracan, and I'm sure it will.

Steve
    Yeah, I've seen the Terracan too, and I think it kicks butt. The interior is very nice, and the ground clearance is pretty high, and I think it has attitude. Hyundai should bring that to the US, and put it above the Tucson and make the Santa Fe a fullsize. Right now the new Santa Fe is only going to be Explorer/Pilot/Highlander sized.
    There is a gas mileage penalty with the 3.8 liter engine. As per the motor trend the Est mile is only 26 . These days I guess people are looking for one close to 30mpg.
    .3.5 engine from Sonata, I guess will be adequate for some. Hyundai needs to update their website fast
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    Uh excuse me but I believe General Motors (they are the biggest offender) has been doing just that for years!!! Ford does, as well as Chrysler. IMO the biggest rip off, people buying Navigators, when all it is is a luxed up Expedition. That ESPECIALLY goes for the Mark LT a luxed up F-150! The list goes on.

IT IS NO MORE SAD that people are choosing between a Chevy Pontiac etc, or a Ford and a Merc. It's all a matter of what someone likes. I bought my 2004 Kia Rio Cinco over a Accent. WHY? Because the Accent doesn't come as a station wagon like the Rio. It obvious there is market for this type of thing or the manufacturers would not be wasting all that money. They are simply giving the consumers what they want, no matter how foolish the consumer is being.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    "Azera sounds too close to Acura (which, upon second thought, may be exactly what Hyundai is trying to do!)" :D

Well DUH!!!! LOL just teasing....I agree with you on that. :)
  • topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    So when are we going to see a real Azera in the showrooms? Anybody have any idea? I know, as already mentioned by others, this fall. But any "sightings" would be of great interest since they could pop up any time now in dealers showrooms.
    I'm anxious to see one and sit in it to see how it compares with my '04 Amanti. So far the Amanti is a very good car and this January it will be two years for me. I'm thinking about the Azera or for the Amanti's major model update whenever that is (2007?) as my new car.
    -P
    Sarasota FL
    I read that the Azera would arrive around October.

The Azera is a great car, I would love a comparison with the Lucerne, Avalon, Montego, Amanti and 300.
  • bluespringbluespring Member Posts: 7
    I will buy new :) this fall.
    Now I'm considering Audi A4 (2.0T AVANT Quattro, 2005.5) and Hyundai Azera.
    Prices are simiar (~30K). Help me! How do you think? Which one is better? Do I really need to wait for Azera?
  • rudikamprudikamp Member Posts: 34
    I certainly would wait to see and test drive the Azera . You are mixing apples and
    oranges. The Azera is a big family car with lots of room , the Audi A 4 is small
    with minimal room in the back. The Audi is fun to drive , solid on the road , and
    a great car in snow and slippery condition. I don't know , if the reliability of the A 4
    has improved and can match Hyundai. Repairs will be expensive once the warranty
    expired, Hyundai has an etch there. The Azera should be at the dealers October , 22.
    As per some one in Hyundai USA the Azera first batch will land in USA in the month of October and dealers will have them in the 3rd or 4th week of November. The EPA est. miles are 26.5 highway with the 3.8 Lit engine. Autos Below 30 miles pr gallon may be difficult to sell. (After hurricane Rita) 3.5 liter may be good enough for some
  • bluespringbluespring Member Posts: 7
    The 3rd or 4th week of November?
    That's too late. Oh...I have to have a car by next month. :cry:
    Thought about the Lexus ES330?

It's somewhere along the lines of the Azera.

I'd try the Maxima too. If you'd like, a certified 2002-2004 Infiniti I35 is what comes to mind when I think "Azera" (value packed, power rear sunshade, roomy, etc. The Azera is only short a little on prestige)
    Both are totally different cars. Are you sure of what you want in a car?