Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'd wait for the Azera. Because even if you didn't like the Azera, it's a pretty strong contender and I'll bet that Toyota would offer incentives on the Avalon to move the metal.
  • truethattruethat Posts: 123
    2008 Equus...
    (I know it's a little off topic but I don't think there is a forum on Equus.)
    Anyways, it shows how serious Hyundai is about their luxury lineup.
    In that sense, it's important for us, too IMO. :P
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    There's a relatively new thread on the 2008 Equus now.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,354
    truethat,

In this photo the Azera looks pretty ordinary and bland. Suddenly I am beginning to wonder if this car is a worthy challenger to the Avalon or Lucerne, especially when a base Avalon XL can be had for $25K.
  • schuck1schuck1 Posts: 14
    I'm starting to wonder how serious Hyundai is about challenging for the higher end cars. All the other models in the competitive marketplace have NAV. Some have voice activated radio, heater and other controls as well, and I have seen/heard no mention of this being offered on the Azera either. In order to compete, you must have the "bells and whistles" and gadgets that appeal to the US market. The NAV system from the Grandeur would not be allowed in the US as it would "distract" the driver, or so is the law. NO TV within the viewing area of the driver. But not all NAV units have the TV option and therefore the NAV could be marketed without this option. Jaguar does it and rather well I must add. I used to own a Jag X-type with the touch screen NAV unit. It worked flawlessly.

I say, build a car with the options that the buyer wants. Why should you introduce a car with a big splash, and not offer what the people want? Especially when the Sonata will have NAV. That to me is kind of an insult to the purchaser that a less influencial car would have some options that the "top of the line" does not.

If I was a car designer, which I'm not, but used to be an auto mechanic for years, It would be a no brainer. Build a base, medium and all out optioned versions of the car and price them at a descent, inexpensive, fair prices. Remember, Hyundai still has the best warranty available, which sells cars as well. Give em what they WANT!!

Steve
  • I disagree with you schuck1.
    As you say you were a mechanic, mechanic's main concern of the car is the quality inside out of the car, not it's accessories. I know this based on the fact of taking introduction class of Engineering. And at least I know mechanics love to tear out parts, and they sure have a lot of knowledge to how to build top-notched vehicle, but not tiny little accessories. For one thing, numbers don't lie, and Hyundai has proven that those numbers certainly do impress the technicians, mechnics and engineers.
    I won't lie to you, I don't know why Hyundai is not having NAVs, but isn't it obvious that you could buy a better and much more cheaper NAVs in retail store? I'm not saying my words are absolute truth, but could it be a business strategy? You know the whole survival in the jungle thing in your business courses, the output has to be more or equal to input. I went to Korea too, and I am very sure that they have much better and more accessories than the cars in US.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    The grill is a 4 slat horizontal arrangement. There is a picture of it in the 2006 Tiburon brochure.
  • schuck1schuck1 Posts: 14
    Boy, Hyundai makes a SUV that is outstanding, just a shame it is not sent to the US. It is called the Terracan and it comes with an optional turbo diesel!!!! This thing is outstanding. Sorry for mixing this into the Azera board, but I was so impressed with this car, I think Hyundai deserves a big "ATTA BOY" on car appearance and quality. Now, I can't wait to see the Azera if it has the same build quality as the Terracan, and I'm sure it will.

Steve
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Yeah, I've seen the Terracan too, and I think it kicks butt. The interior is very nice, and the ground clearance is pretty high, and I think it has attitude. Hyundai should bring that to the US, and put it above the Tucson and make the Santa Fe a fullsize. Right now the new Santa Fe is only going to be Explorer/Pilot/Highlander sized.
  • There is a gas mileage penalty with the 3.8 liter engine. As per the motor trend the Est mile is only 26 . These days I guess people are looking for one close to 30mpg.
    .3.5 engine from Sonata, I guess will be adequate for some. Hyundai needs to update their website fast
  • Uh excuse me but I believe General Motors (they are the biggest offender) has been doing just that for years!!! Ford does, as well as Chrysler. IMO the biggest rip off, people buying Navigators, when all it is is a luxed up Expedition. That ESPECIALLY goes for the Mark LT a luxed up F-150! The list goes on.

IT IS NO MORE SAD that people are choosing between a Chevy Pontiac etc, or a Ford and a Merc. It's all a matter of what someone likes. I bought my 2004 Kia Rio Cinco over a Accent. WHY? Because the Accent doesn't come as a station wagon like the Rio. It obvious there is market for this type of thing or the manufacturers would not be wasting all that money. They are simply giving the consumers what they want, no matter how foolish the consumer is being.
  • "Azera sounds too close to Acura (which, upon second thought, may be exactly what Hyundai is trying to do!)" :D

Well DUH!!!! LOL just teasing....I agree with you on that. :)
  • topgeartopgear Posts: 111
    So when are we going to see a real Azera in the showrooms? Anybody have any idea? I know, as already mentioned by others, this fall. But any "sightings" would be of great interest since they could pop up any time now in dealers showrooms.
    I'm anxious to see one and sit in it to see how it compares with my '04 Amanti. So far the Amanti is a very good car and this January it will be two years for me. I'm thinking about the Azera or for the Amanti's major model update whenever that is (2007?) as my new car.
    -P
    Sarasota FL
  • I read that the Azera would arrive around October.

The Azera is a great car, I would love a comparison with the Lucerne, Avalon, Montego, Amanti and 300.
  • I will buy new :) this fall.
    Now I'm considering Audi A4 (2.0T AVANT Quattro, 2005.5) and Hyundai Azera.
    Prices are simiar (~30K). Help me! How do you think? Which one is better? Do I really need to wait for Azera?
  • I certainly would wait to see and test drive the Azera . You are mixing apples and
    oranges. The Azera is a big family car with lots of room , the Audi A 4 is small
    with minimal room in the back. The Audi is fun to drive , solid on the road , and
    a great car in snow and slippery condition. I don't know , if the reliability of the A 4
    has improved and can match Hyundai. Repairs will be expensive once the warranty
    expired, Hyundai has an etch there. The Azera should be at the dealers October , 22.
  • As per some one in Hyundai USA the Azera first batch will land in USA in the month of October and dealers will have them in the 3rd or 4th week of November. The EPA est. miles are 26.5 highway with the 3.8 Lit engine. Autos Below 30 miles pr gallon may be difficult to sell. (After hurricane Rita) 3.5 liter may be good enough for some
  • The 3rd or 4th week of November?
    That's too late. Oh...I have to have a car by next month. :cry:
    Thought about the Lexus ES330?

It's somewhere along the lines of the Azera.

I'd try the Maxima too. If you'd like, a certified 2002-2004 Infiniti I35 is what comes to mind when I think "Azera" (value packed, power rear sunshade, roomy, etc. The Azera is only short a little on prestige)
    Both are totally different cars. Are you sure of what you want in a car?
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    I was under the impression that the Azera was being built at the Alabama plant. A post here stated that they would be here in October, and I got the impression from that post they were coming from Korea. If so, do any of you think that's a plus as far as Build Quality/Fit & Finish ??? Someone here had sent a link for a movie, in Korean, about the Azera. It was about a 1/2 hour long, and even though I didn't understand the narration, the pictures showed a very nice, well put together car. I've got a really good feeling about the quality of this car after seeing that. It was actually the Grandeur, and had a really wild screen in the dash that did it all. Navi, TV, radio, all kinds of stuff that we'll never see on our models. If this car is made overseas, I sure hope it doesn't let us down. Any thoughts??
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    It will be built in Korea. The only models coming from Alabama are the Sonata and the new Santa Fe when it arrives. As far as build quality, I have no preference. I've dealt with Sonatas from both plants and they seem to be built to the same standard.
  • Expected available date in Canada is same as USA. I own a 1998 Avalon XLS...looked at a 2006 to replace, but much too expensive. A small item but the Avalon does not have a strip on the sides to protect from car door bangs... Hmmmmm ??? Most cars I looked at have it. Azera has lots of nice standard features that are options on many luxury cars. Does anyone know what the gas mileage will be ?? That would be a big factor with the ever increasing fuel prices.
    Have been a Toyota owner for the last 15 years with much satisfaction, but find they have become very independent and won't budge on the price, hence I'm looking forward to taking the new Azera for a test drive, the specs and warranties look great. Hope the price is right, I'll buy for sure if it lives up to my expectations.... I keep my cars a long time so not worried about re-sale value. From all reports I think the big Japanese makers will take notice. Of course only time will tell.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,354
    It is October, where is the Azera and what is Hyundai doing doing to promote this "luxury" sedan?

Most auto makers usually make a big splash about a new entry but apparently Hyundai has embarked on a stealth strategy. What is the estimated MPG on this baby is it expected to be better than the Avalon? If so, it should be highlighted as a desirable feature. Anyways, I am tired of waiting and I am afraid that I am becoming indifferent as there is nothing to highten my anticipation.
  • lions1lions1 Posts: 1
    I called Hyundai Corporation, not the dealer, and they told me Azera will be available late December or January 2006. They had some problem receiving the cars in the USA.

lions1
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Don't get me wrong, by no means do I dislike Hyundai. My wife has an '02 Elantra, and it has been a great car. However, I question whether or not the US market is ready for a high $20,000s - almost $30,000 Hyundai. I have been really impressed with Hyundai's new vehicles, but I would have a hard time spending $27,000 plus on one (referring to one that is fully loaded).
  • topgeartopgear Posts: 111
    It's already out there. It's called an Amanti by Kia. It's based on the XG 350. And if Kia can sell it, (and they are starting to sell well -with very high customer satisfaction -number 1 in JD Powers satisfaction!), Hyundais' should sell too because I think Hyundai is even better than Kia's are. (I know ...Hyundai owns Kia, but Hyundai has been the better quality company of the two). Kia, however, has caught up with Hyundai's help. It's just the public perception now that stands in the way.

I own a 2004 Amanti and love it. So, depending on the styling cues of the next generation Amanti which will be based on the Azera/Grandeur, I would not hesitate to be a Azera owner -if it ends up being the better looking one of the two.

I guess the bottom line of what I'm saying is -it will sell.

Pete
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    "I guess the bottom line of what I'm saying is -it will sell."

I think that the Elantra and the Sonata are very competitive at their price points. However, when you start getting close to the $30K range, there are just too many good cars out there.
    The other thing that would concern me, is what will the $30K Azera be worth when the owner tries to trade it in after 2 years and 36K miles versus other cars in the market that retail for around the same price.

Regarding the Amanti - Of the folks I know that have them, they all seemed to have paid in the low $20s for them. My point is that if the Azera is priced close to $30K, and they don't intend to discount it heavily, how well will it sell?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Alamogordo, NMPosts: 7,615
    offer rebates or discounts on the Azera? They probably will, yet I'm not so sure that's their best strategy. How about, like Honda with their Accord, Hyundai just sells their Azera's for $28,950, or whatever-have-you, and they don't offer rebates or large sales incentives? Hyundai and Kia are on the cusp of retaining their values now, and offering large reductions to sell them is not a good choice. After all, if you are into comparing cars these days for feature and build quality, Hyundai and Kia are outdoing a decent chunk of the car makers right now. If they're behind in something, like these i-Pod issues of late, they'll fix it in the next model year.

I don't think I'd let an issue with a car stereo stop me from buying the Kia or Hyundai or Scion or Toyota of my choice. Not even. But to each his own. It is true, busting into an integrated dash to put your stereo system of choice in is not a pretty forethought. Downright gritty to ponder...so I guess I see somebody's point...almost. I guess I'd think differently if I was in the i-Pod world right now. It would seem that there's always something that could be done to get the sound you want without gettting too drastic, an electronic plug-in here or a tweak to something else somewhere else. Drivetrains and bodystyles and things like that top issues with the stereo when I'm doing my car shopping, eh? ;)

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• I called HYundai in the first of September. They said 3rd or 4 th weekof November. No the safe bet is January.
    I am not sure I want to buy with 3.8 Lit engine.As per motor tend the the expected mpg is 26.5 miles Hwy.
    If they offer with 3.5 lit engine of sonata probably I will.