Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• oldblokeoldbloke Member Posts: 22
    *Lemme guess - your '77 Buick's OHV V8 torquer's probably loafing along shy of 1,900 rpm at 70 mph while my '03 Sonata's DOHC V6 is buzzing along at nearly 2,500 rpm at that vehicle speed.

You're right. A Buick Electra with a 350 cubic inch push rod engine. I've owned it for 29 years. Don't use it much now but it's still in good condition. Also 18-19 mpg on the Interstate is not too good with gas prices as they are.
    I used to think high revving engines would wear out faster but when I read of the high milages reported for them I've changed my opinion. Maybe better lubricants and engine techniques now.
  • lhalstromlhalstrom Member Posts: 12
    jim101

Do you think hood alignment has anything to do with the passenger side windshield wiper won't clear the hood to lift it off?
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    I believe that it as engineering error.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    http://www.carspace.com/jim101

edsofaru, what do you think???

Here are the :shades: pictures.
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    captvege there is a preliminary write-up on the Azera on the Consumer Reports website. Their initial impressions are very favorable and positive. The were impressed by the fit and finish, quietness and near-luxury appointments. They are planning on doing a full and thorough review which should be available in their June issue. I have membership to their site and was able to access this.
    No, the wiper is another issue.

If the alignment is common to many Azeras then we need to alert Hyundai. If I'm just lucky, then it's factory???

Anywho, been looking at the wiper issue. The design of the right hand arm is the problem. I'm, not today, going to take the both sides off and, if it fits, try the left side assembly on the right side. It may provide clearance and do the work required. I will leave the left blade on when I move it to the right side. If all is OK I'll then put the blade from the right on to check movement, clearances.

If it all works then buying another left side assembly to put on the right side should be worthy.

Good day...
  • frazeefrazee Member Posts: 90
    Like the grill!! Without seeing the rest of the car, from the side, looks like a Pacifica grill!

As for the wipers....there is a TSB on the website about the peculiar fit with warnings and directions on changing blades etc.
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    Hi Jim, nice job on the Grill. I was told that the EB Black will be in stock in the next few days and that they will tell me when it arrives. I am in no hurry because my Black Azera has not yet arrived. Going on 11 weeks now. :cry: Again, Great looking car and good job on the Grill. :shades: JoeD
  • mbhollambholla Member Posts: 37
    very nice very very nice! where did you get that awesome grill :P
    www.dreamka4u.com

it took about seven days in the mail

did anyone notice that the left rear of the trunk is blank???
    Yes Jim, I did notice the tags missing on the left rear. I am with you on removing them. I don't like any tags on my vehicles and remove as many as I can. If the auto companies want to pay me for advertising I would leave them on. I use to own and operate a men's clothing store and I am sure that my customers would not want the store label on the out side of the suit :D JoeD
    frazee,

The TSB does not work with my MAC.

Can you cut and paste the TSB into the forum?

Thank you

As I recall... the TSB deals with turning the wipers 'on' and then 'off' when the wipers are straight up on the windshield then opening the hood to service the right hand, arm, blade assembly due to the poor design of the right hand arm???

Placing the left arm on the right and using the longer right blade may be a solution. I'll check it out.
    To me, the arm is no big deal. I put the black electrical tape on it as mentioned in a previous post. It prevents metal to paint contact. Kinda acts like a bumper and because we know about the problem I take extra care when washing, drying or just moving the arm/blade assembly.

Good day
    Correct, you will not find any dealer advertisement period.

I think one post mentioned a dealer that added cost to the purchase for the privilege of having his dealership name on the vehicle.

I was alluding to the missing word 'Hyundai'.

From the front, no 'H', from the side, only the wheel centers and they will be modified soon, from the rear only the 'H' on the trunk and it has plans to be modified leaving the 'H' on the steering wheel which will be modified.

In conclusion, it will say Azera and Limited on the trunk and that's it.
    Hi Jim, I received an e-mail today from Dreama4.com this morning. I had emailed them previously when they where out of stock on the EB Black Grill and asked if they could notify me when they arrived. They told me today that they had three in stock and that all of them where spoken for including the one they where holding for me. They gave me a day to order it before selling to someone else. I ordered it and it's in the mail. Thanks Jim for the heads up on this great product. Now, if only I can get my Azera. Going on 11 weeks now. :( JoeD
    Good Deal! so what was the total cost on that piece, including shipping? (I Havenet gone to the website yet); did you do the install yourself, if so was it pretty easy?? I also noticed the "Hyundai" removed from the left rear trunk. The car looks really good! :shades:
  • captvegecaptvege Member Posts: 22
    Seems to me that part of purchasing the Azera is buying into the idea that Hyundai is not a dirty word. Personally I like the H (although I do not yet own an Azera). Removing and replacing the grill and the H on the back only seems to perpetuate the "stigma" with owning a Hyundai. It certainly does not make the car any more or less valuable.
    For me replacing the manufactures tags isn't a question of hiding the fact that I own a Hyundai. I just don't like any manufactures tags on cars. I have replaced many tags including them on a Caddy, Lincoln and even Jaguar. As for the H in the Grill I personally like the clean lines of No H. Too each his own taste. One Big Rule for me is No Dealership Logo on any of my cars. I have told dealers in the past that when I accept delivery and if there is a dealer Logo on the car I won't accept it. Most dealers agree and only put the cheap plastic license plate frames with their name and logo which are quickly removed when I get home. JoeD
    I love Hyundai & have owned 2 along with a '94 Mustang GT (that I still own); & a few other cars i.e. Chevy, Mazda, Mercedez. All of which I have removed or modified any badging that was able to be removed. This is a MY personal preference on the look of a ANY car that I have owned. Has nothing to do with embarrassment or prestige. I have removed the proud "AMG" on my Mercerdez AMG as well.
    In this case the grill looks very classic without the badging & seriously considering trading my yougest Hyundai for an Azera. The car looks great with or without a new grill. True, replacing the grill or removing the "H" will not add or remove any value to the car, but think about it like this.
    If you order a Steak & you have the option of fries or a baked potatoe. Some of us want fries & some of us are gonna want a baked potatoe, but we will still eat the steak nonetheless. ;)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Just one question to people who like to take the badging off their car. When you buy a TV, refrigerator, stove, lawn mower and the like do you do the same thing?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

For me the answer is Yes. If the advertising label can be removed without too much difficulty it comes off. Would you wear a Suit or Dress with the label on the out side? I get a big charge out of how people love to wear so called designer clothing with the name splashed across the front or a Little Alligator or Polo Player. I am not an advertising billboard and don't plan on being one. Now if they want to pay me for doing so then maybe I would consider it. So many of us have gotten caught up in this Label Wearing World especially our children. They are being brain washed from the media. Sorry for the rant! JoeD
    Well I for one do not wear lables simply because labeless shirts are just as good, if not better, and cost less. But I don't go to such an extreme as to remove labels from car, TV's and the like.

On the other hand my mom did give me a shirt that has the polo player falling off the horse that I like to wear. Its quite a conversation piece once people realize what it is.

Right around $100.00, give or take a little.

Go to the website.

It took eight days from order and the company is the one that supplies parts to Hyundai in Korea.

The installation is not a DIY less you be having some above average disassembly and assembly abilities.
    There are seven small philips screws behind the grill in that tiny space in front of the radiator, you cannot get there from the bottom. You could I guess remove the radiator and it would be real easy or you could remove six hold down plastic retainers, four small hold down retainers on the top of the grill, lifting and removing two black pieces of plastic from the top of the grill, removing two 10 millimeter bolts, one each side, holds the upper bumper, next to the headlight, and popping the bumper off of the pin next to the 10 millimeter bolts you removed, you'll see it. The two top screws that secure the grill on each side are a challenge and impossible if you do not have the right tools. The rest is pretty straight forward if you can work without instructions and have patience.
    Do not pull the bumper top piece out to far, you may damage the paint. You can hold a light in one hand and a stubby philips in the other to remove the easy five. you will need an offset or philips socket for your 1/4" drive, even then it's a tester.

Before putting the new grill 'in' pre-tap the holes, put the screws in and remove. If you don't they will be difficult to due during installation.

Thank you for the comments
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Hey folks, just chiming in. I for one removed the words "Hyundai" and "Azera" from the rear trunk lid on mine just because it looks nicer and doesn't have that cluttered look. I certainly wasn't going to allow the dealership to place their sticker on the back either. I don't mind the "H" being on the front and back of the car. Like someone said earlier, the car looks good with or without the "H" on the front grille.

If I change my front grille, it would be with one dealing with the wire mesh, something like what the Jaguar S-Types have (some of them). For me, if I'm going to make a change, it will be a change for something completely different, but within the constraints of keeping the car classy.

Removing the badging doesn't change the type of car it is and anyone that's into cars will know off the bat what car it is. In the end, those that do make the changes, I think do it to make their car a little unique so that it doesn't look like everyone else's Azera on the road. Sometimes...a subtle change can make a world of difference to some people.
    :shades: you folks replied as expected, pros and cons, stigma, steaks, emblems on shirts, suits, cool, really cool :shades:

For what it's worth, grew up in Detroit, been around custom cars, hot rods, late models, dragsters, trucks, bikes for many years. Built more than one of each, won a few trophies and made a few bucks.

It has nothing to do with anything other than I like to create a look that invites others to pause and look and it's the little things like this that do it.
    New wheels, tires, paint, flames, scallops what have you also get the attention. For me it's kickin it up without being obvious. So you either like or don't, that's your opinion and I'll support all the reasons and ideas of others because that's what they like.

Went to the track one night and another guy had this really beautiful late model. We knew it was different but just couldn't put our hands on it for a while. Then we realized that it had been sectioned, narrowed proportionately by about 2". A scaled down version, the car was not allowed to run competitively.
    Point is, the guy modified, changed the car and it did draw attention as was his objective.

So, to those of you who like, thank you and to those of you who question why, thank you too.

Good day
    Howdy do,

Bravo, cuddos and all that, you nailed it.

Can you take a picture of the rear end of your Azera and post it?

For those who looked close, did you see the mud guards??? They become almost invisible.

Good day
    It has nothing to do with anything other than I like to create a look that invites others to pause and look and it's the little things like this that do it.

So basically what you are trying to do is scream out "HEY LOOK AT ME".

• ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    "Consumer Reports ... They are planning on doing a full and thorough review which should be available in their June issue"

Unfortunately, they didn't get a "round tuit" apparently. I just received my June issue yesterday, and unless I missed it flipping through - it is not in there. I noticed that they were focusing on "sporty convertibles" this month, so I don't think I missed it. :cry:
    I think Jim has accomplished that "Look At Me" but in a very subtle and classy way. Do any of you remember when the dealerships would drill holes in the truck and put their chrome plated, white metal dealer decals on and a few years later your car had rust coming out of the holes? Oh boy I am really dating my self now. :) JoeD
    Certainly not, but hey, if you are aware, look at my car, you might like it.
    It's a Detroit thing, folks who grew up there in the late 50's, 60's early 70's know what I'm talking about.
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    Here's another possible source for the grill. I have no personal knowledge of these people, I just stumbled across the site. It's $10 more and there is no info regarding their stock.
    http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=122&ai_id=1464
    The parts manager at my local dealer has offered to install these wheels, http://www.detata.com/2006/rallye.html, for $192 each, out the door. The price seems very fair, and I saw them on an Azera this morning and I though that they looked pretty sharp. Any feelings, one way or the other, regarding the wheels or how they will look :confuse: ?
    Wouldn't open, can you put the picture in carspace.com?

I'd like to see the wheels.
    Let's try the link one more time. If this doesn't work I'll try posting in carspace.com

http://www.detata.com/2006/rallye.html
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You nailed it this time. :)

The problem with the earlier link, as you may have discovered, is that there is a stray comma included at the end of it. I've posted the same kinds of links. ;)
    Yea, I figured that was the problem :D
    :) Thanks for all the info Jim I appreciate it!
    PASScar wheels, nice, if you have an extra set send them my way.

Yes, removal of the comma did the trick, good eyes Pat
    Your welcome, if I can provide any more help please don't hesitate to ask.

Sidebar, try ask.com, it's interesting, the map, street link has satellite imagining. I looked up some old neighborhoods just to see what's changed.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    That's one nice lookin wheel. Personally, I would go with the Double D's to give the car a little flair. Something about those wheels with the deep lips just make a car so beautiful. Are you planning on going with the same size that came with the car? I'm going up one size when I put mine on. $192/wheel out the door is a VERY good price, I say jump on them for sure! :shades:
    Thanks for the input. I also like the Double D's, but the dealer only has the Rallye for the quoted price. Size wise, they will be the same as the wheels that came on the car. I'm not quite up to buying a new set of tires right now :)

Next I've got to look into tinting. The dealer charges $179 for all side and rear windows for the max allowed by Utah state law. They use a local shop, so I thought I'd call them directly and see what they quote me, as well as what options are available.
    Howdy do,

Here's the link,

http://www.carspace.com/jim101

Took this picture while driving, don't recommend doing it that way.
    As you can clearly see 29.8 mpg, I was excited, actually got up to 30.5 mpg.
    Yes, with cruise set on 62 mph.
    Drove a State Road between Ormond Beach and Gainesville (100 miles) through small towns, posted speed varied from 35 to 65 mph.
    Total round trip came in at 28.2 mpg, drove around Gainesville a bit.
    I am on a Mac also; went to wife's puter (PC) and printed out the TSB...but don't have it in "sendable" (great word?) format. Sorry. If you have a fax # you want to provide I can fax it to you.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, we can't ask people to post any sort of contact information here, including fax numbers.

You can go to your own personal http://www.carspace.com page and post it there, if you like. Just log in with your same user ID and password you use to get here and you'll have your very own webspace as well as an email account! :)
    You could, open TSB on wife's pc, copy, paste into e-mail and send to your Mac, then you open, copy and paste into the forum.

That's a little round about but should get the job done and keep Pat happy ;)
    Problem is that the TSB is an Adobe document, so cannot copy and paste...was only able to print.
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    I just sold my 2005 Accord EX-V6 today and leased a Black limited Azera. I paid $1999 cash down and $299+tax/Mo for 27 month.I think I got a pretty good deal and so happy with my Azera.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    congrats, and enjoy the ride.
    Welcome to the board and hope that your Azera provides you with at least 27 months of great driving!! So far mine has been 100% trouble-free through about 2300 miles. I normally keep a "punchlist" to go back to the dealer with, and after my initial return visit to get a variety of options "programmed" (door locks, EZ Out, limp-home code)....I have had no need to go back and there is nothing on my list. Only minor annoyance is the wind deflector, which does create extra noise overhead at 50 and up. Please ask any questions that may arise and also please SHARE any "issues" that arise as that helps us all be more alert for anything which could be more than a "one off" kind of problem.

Good Luck!!
    Well alrighty then,

You have just entered into the world of proud Azera owners, congratulations. :)

If you have the time and go back to review previous postings you will find possibly some interesting reading. Discussions about ez-out, limp home mode, air deflectors, mud guards, grills without the 'H' and more. Just type one or two of the words in the search window and just those items will be listed for your review.

The 'air deflector' seems to be noisy and I believe most in the forum have removed them, it's fairly easy to do, a couple of screws to loosen or remove and it comes right off.

Again, welcome :)
    OK, it's in Adobe, highlight the part you wish to copy, paste into e-mail, send to your Mac.