Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• plannermannplannermann Member Posts: 14
    I just made an appt to have my plugs replaced, i am almost at 100K. I told him i will bring my own plugs, they said we will look at them because some plugs dont fit in Hyundai engines. I just got the most expensive one from walmart - bosch plat i think.

my concern is they will try to rip me on hyundai plugs that will be marked up a ton? what do you think?
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Don't know about your Hyundai dealer, but I don't trust mine at all. IMO my dealer is ready to rip me off every time I pull in for service.
    In your case, they're already getting a bunch of money for labor, they should be happy with that...or not. If you bought plugs that are recommended for your car in the application book, why would they not fit?
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    if u got the ones recommended they should fit....Hyundai charges a min of $16/plug for replacement (iridium)...labor is $400-$500..they have to remove the intake to get to the plugs...good luck
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Sounds to me like they were trying to get to you pay $13+/plug by trying to get you to buy them from the dealer. Also, I hope you don't have any issues with the Bosch plugs, I have been told by quite a few mechanics that the Bosch burn too hot for Hyundai engines and aren't really a good choice. I changed my plugs recently (around 145K miles) and I went with NGK iridium plugs. Never heard of an issue with plugs not fitting.

Personally, I say get your own plugs and take them to a mechanic that has no problem installing your parts. I went through the same thing with my 2002 Sonata, the dealer wanted $8/plug for regular Champion plugs that I was able to get for less than $2/ea. at AutoZone. Only difference...the dealer installed them.
    Not sure if Hyundai is using iridium plugs, dealership I talked to mentioned platinum. If the charge for the labor is $400-500, then I got mine done at a HUGE steal. The mechanic I take my car to only charged me $250. His quote is 2.5 hours of work at $99/hr. What's the labor rate in your area???
    u got a deal...labor in Tampa is $125/hr.....3.5-4hrs to do tune up (change plugs) I have an ASE tech in my neighborhood and he charges me $40/hr...I usually tip him well, also....
    I agree with getting a deal on the labor compared to $125/hr, but you got ripped on the time. Both my mechanic and the dealership I use both quoted 2.5 hours on the labor on just the spark plug change. I would assume 3.5-4 hours means they are doing some other things as well...at least I hope.
    the only work I have done at the dealer was warranty work..my personal tech does all my work on my Santa Fe ('01 w/ 150k miles) and my '06 Azzy (except for warranty work).. I may get him to do the sway bar bushings..I still don't have any clunking or other ride and handling issues, but for a simple fix like the bushings I may spring for it..
    That's exactly how I did it...the dealer did all the warranty work, but as soon as the warranty ran out, I found a great mechanic. I have honestly learned more about my Azera through my mechanic than I ever did through the dealer.

How many miles does your Azzy have on it now?
  • wardswards Member Posts: 17
    The sway bar bushings were ordered from Hyundai $21.12 each. Repair shop unable to order from other suppliers.
    YIKES!!! Does your repair shop allow you to order parts yourself and provide them? $21.12 is extremely steep considering the prices I've found (at least 1/3 that). At any rate, you got them replaced and the dreaded clunk noise that so many have complained about is finally gone, yes?
    Jamazera...if you're hearing the clunk, go for it. My mechanic said that there's really no way to tell how long the bushings will last, but he said they could go bad anywhere between 20K to 80K miles (big window...i know).
    not hearing or feeling anything....rides great after replacing Michelins with Yokos.....as u mentioned..huge window.......thought maybe i would replace since the fix was simple and cheap.....may get the bushings and wait....then replace when necessary
    That's good to hear. I think most everyone that replaced the OEM Michelins found a huge difference in ride and handling, as long as they chose a good tire. I've seen postings of various tires that seemed to make a big difference. Also, find you a mechanic that's willing to let you supply your own parts and then look online for them. Considering I'm way past the warranty on mine, I order all my parts from rockauto.com and couldn't be happier.

For example...I had to get an o2 sensor replaced. My mechanic told me the Bosch O2 sensor that he was going to order was $125. RockAuto.com had the same one for $65. So he told me to order it and he installed it for me. I have also been surprised to find that some parts you can order come from the actual maker of Hyundai parts as well, but you also get a choice of what brand you want to go with. All in all, a great experience so far.
    thats what I do...I supply the parts and my tech does the work......so far he's only worked on my santa fe and sonata...sold the sonata last month...he will also check pricing for parts and will get them with his discount....got about 3 more yrs on azzy warranty....i do all my routine maintaince my self. how many bushings are necessary for the sway bar ???
    I believe you order one set of bushings for the sway bar, but considering the low cost...I will probably order a few sets and just keep them on hand for down the road.
    a set is 2 bushings? I agree.
  • steds54steds54 Member Posts: 11
    Gentlemen: (and lady shade-tree mechanics also):

Today, while I was in my local Hyundai dealership for an oil-change and a "reset" and "reprogramming" of PODS (whatever the heck THAT is) to deal with a "passenger airbag is not on" warning, which cost, by the way $175 alone, my service writer suggested that I get the 30K service package costing $580. Also recommended is a brake fluid exchange (I suppose for a magnum of Dom Perignon) at $170, and a power steering exchange, probably for the blood of the Vestal Virgins) at $160. Am I (76) just too old for today's prices, or has this truly been a bald-faced attempt at a colossal hosing ?

Oh, by the way, when I complained about the off-road-vehicle sound of my excessively noisy Michelins, with 34,000 miles on them, the service writer, who said he had also worked in a tire shop, said that my year Azera (2006) "EATS TIRES", and no matter what I would replace the Michelins with, sooner or later, I'd have the same problem ---that this was just a badly-designed product. If that is true, shouldn't we expect some relieve under Lemon Laws ?
  • garym1jgarym1j Member Posts: 46
    I am also 76 and of the generation that remembers when Pepsi was 5 cents, right?
    Suggest that:
    1. Drive without the seat belt warning light. It probably works. Put the wife in the back seat. They provide excellent advice from either front or rear seats.
    2. Go to An Oil Change Express place. Bet they will top off fluid levels where needed. (Steering and brakes)
    3. If you really need a Hyundai dealership for Maintenance, go service department shopping. Maybe all these guys are standardized in ripoff as part of their training program, don't know, but I would try.

With a AAA membership, ride off into the sunset and save a $1000. Conversely, take this month's social security and give it to Hyundai before SS goes bust. The dealers probably need the money to fund The Affordable Health Care coverage for their employees. Redistribution of wealth it is called. That is another story.

You have managed your 76 years pretty well and probably don't need any more advice.
    Exactly the sort of dealer activity which has ensured that I will never buy another Hyundai product. The long warranty is useless when Hyundai refuses to pay for manufacturer problems that are present in the product, then the dealership constantly tries to gouge you whenever you show up at their door.
    does anyone know of a TSB or recall on 2006 or later Azzy driver or passenger airbags?

thanks
    Jamazera...there was a TSB regarding the airbag system. I know because I had mine taken care of quite a while back. To no avail though, my airbag light still stays on.

AutoMD - 2006 Hyundai Azera Recalls

You SHOULD be able to go into a dealer and inquire about the TSB's available for your car. If not, a good mechanic would also be able to provide you with some insight. My mechanic just informed me about a TSB regarding the #5 ignition coil on my 2006 Azera.
    Thanks, Jamazera!

I'm puzzled, though, for if your airbag indicator is acting-up again, why haven't you gone back to the (or a different) dealer and demanded that it be fixed properly?

I'd be afraid that the bag wouldn't function at all if I were involved in an accident..
  • busdepotbusdepot Member Posts: 11
    I just traded in my 2006 Azera for the new Santa Fe Sport last week but I had the same problem with the seat belt light in my car about a year ago. The problem is with the harness under the drivers seat, they had to replace the clips that hold the harness together, I believe they are only made out of plastic, that solved the problem for me and they told me not to put anything under the seat that can catch on the harness, and I have to admit I do sometimes shove this under the seat so I might have caused the problem.
    Thanks, busdepot, I appreciate your input !
    I may go to the Hyundai America site and check....it lists all the tsb's there...I think there is another recall on the passenger bag coming up soon...
    Sway bar bushings - $6.48 + s&h
    Bushing installation labor charge - $198
    Clunk & rattle noise gone - PRICELESS!!!

Yes...I think for some Azera owners that seem to experience this noise early on, the problem may just be inferior materials and the bushings wear early. I just got my Azera back yesterday after getting the bushings (and ignition coils) replaced and what a difference. The suspension is almost as quiet as the day I bought the car 7 years ago. Only things left to get taken care of are the motor/transmission mounts, A/C pressure switch and rotors & pads all the way around. I think I may be ready for another 150K miles!!!
  • donvickdonvick Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    Well we have 148,000+ miles with no problem.
    Then for no, so far, unexplained reason the engine overheated at 65 mph, wife driving.
    She shutdown the AC and continued to drive for about another 5 miles to the dealership in Hanford, Ca. Since it was so close she figured she'd take it there, as she pulled in the drive the engine shut down.
    Dealer says spun bearing, I can believe it.
    Dealer says $7,000 for new engine.
    I called my local auto guy and he found an engine with 35,000 miles on it for $1900 and change (Japan Engines). This Azera was tagged as being built on 17 April 2006 so this engine fit into that group. Apparently there was an engine change out somewhere in the early production runs of Azera. We bought this car new off the showroom floor and have been thrilled with its performance and lack of issues.

AAA hauled the Azera to local guy, R&J Automotive, Lemoore, Ca. and he is changing out engines for me. Estimated cost is about $4500 and change.
    Have not uncovered why the engine overheated only that it does have a blown head gasket. I'm of the opinion this could have happened during the overheating and driving process and possibly not the cause of the failure.

We are changing out the radiator as a precaution.
    Installed new spark plugs, which I never did get to in the original engine.
    New hoses to the heater core.
    Oil change to Mobil 1 with Wix filter.

Will keep you posted on developments.
    In fact I think I'll start a new thread for this engine failure.

Allmet reminded me so I'm adding this;
    There were initially no check engine lights just the overheat condition on the gauge.
    We have never changed out any of the 02 sensors that I know of or can remember. Grophetti would have the record.
    We had an appointment with Grophetti to service the car and change spark plugs 2 days after this event took place. Naturally we cancelled it.
    Transmission fluid was purged/changed out by Grophetti at about 100,000 miles.

Don
    WOW...pretty amazing to say the least, but to find the engine at the price you did and get it installed, again...for the price you did was pretty amazing as well. So far I've been fortunate enough to not experience any engine issues. I recently got the spark plugs done around the 140k mark (replaced with NGK Iridium plugs), but the check engine light had come on and the codes kicked back 2 of the O2 sensors (the Azera has 4). Got those taken care of and then another code for 2 bad ignition coils came up. Found out there was a TSB regarding ignition coil #5 (one of the ones that didn't get replaced), so I decided to get the other 4 replaced just to play it safe. So now...I should be good to go.

Sometimes things happen that are hard to explain, the silver lining in all of this was that your wife was able to actually drive it to the dealer before it died. Much better than being stranded on some highway waiting for help to arrive. Good luck with everything.
    does anyone know how many Azeras were built for the model yr 2006?
  • jerrybikerjerrybiker Member Posts: 53
    What is a good replacement tire for an 2008 Azera?
    Is a Cooper Tire good for an Azera?

Thanks,

Jerry
    There have been quite a few postings on what a good replacement tire is for the Azera and the general consensus is...anything other than the OEM Michelins. I have used the General Altimax tires and they were great. There have been quite a few other postings with various tires and everyone said the same thing...much better than OEM. Good luck with your search and eventual choice.
  • donvickdonvick Member Posts: 38
    We just put the Cooper CS4 Touring tires on our 2006 and they are very, very quiet and a nice ride.

These CS4 replaced the Kumhos.
    The Kumhos had all worn down to the tread cords on the inside while the middle and outer treads were still in good shape.

Dealer, Gropetti Hyundai in Visalia, Ca. said the Kumhos were too wide, odd because the same dealer recommended the Kumhos a few years earlier. To be fair it was 2 different service managers. Though the Kumho's were quiet and a nice ride I didn't like how all 4 wore down on the inside.
    I've been told they use a softer tread on the inside, don't know about that but it doesn't make sense to me.

Went to an actual tire store, Billingsley in Lemoore, Ca. and they recommended the Coopers.
    I've run Coopers on my pickups for the last 35 years with no problems. Full replacement warranty. Once poked a rock through the tread in Minnesota and they replaced it.

Coopers=Good.

Vick
  • busdepotbusdepot Member Posts: 11
    Although I no longer own my 2006 Azera, I traded it in two months ago for a 2013 Santa Fe Sport. I did replace the tires about two years ago with a set of Nexen tires and all I can say is I wish I had done it sooner, the car rode so much smoother and much more quiet with these tires and they were about $100 per tire less than those noisy tires that came with the car. And to my surprise a few months later Consumer Reports rated tires in one of the issues and the same Nexen tires that I had just put on my Azera were rated #3 out of about 25 other tires in their class, way ahead of some very well known brands I might add, so that is another brand you might want to consider when you replace your tires, you wouldn't be sorry.
    Did anyone get the promise "Tires for life" when they bought their Azera new from a Hyundai dealership? This may be a unique incentive from only my dealership in Brandon, FL.
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    I had the Check Engin light come on my 2008 Azera. The problem was low air pressure in my Doughnut Spare tire.

I put 60 LBS air pressure in the spare tire and the Check Engin light went out.

Hope this helps someone.
    Jerry
    If the " tires for life " are Michelins, you're assured of a lifetime torture chamber.
    Guess its a good thing I am slightly hearing impaired (helicopter pilot RVN). My Azera is quiet as a mouse. Maybe I should start complaining based on general consensus.
    kumhos usually have a lower tread wear rating .....just don't last as long
    wow strange correlation
    Does anyone know if the "Check Engin" Light shows up in a "CODE" on the Azera's computer, that can give the actual cause?

Can the "Code" be read by the service people and determine "EXACTLY" what turned the "Check Engin" light on?

I hate an error indicator that is so vague. There must be a way to get more specific information as to what caused the check engin light to come on.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Does anyone know how to fix the "dim" Light on the Azera Clock, to make it brighter?
    During the day I can't read the Clock because its so dim and the glare from the sun over powers the clock.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Yes...I can answer that for you. The check engine light will show a code as to why it is on. Mine has come on for an Ignition Coil issue and a Crank Shaft Sensor issue. Both issues have been fixed, but the light has come on again...so back to the shop I go to figure it out. I am not complaining as I have over 150k miles on my Azera and this is the first time I've had to put any money into it.

Best move to make...take it to a shop and have them run a diagnostic on it. There are some places you can find that will do it for free. The dealer...they're gonna charge you at least $100 just for the diagnostic. Good luck!
    Thanks.
    Did the dealer charge you $100 to diagnose your "Check Engin" problem?

Jerry
    got a card from HMA concerning correct passenger seatbelt and airbag use for my '06 Azzy....mentioned it was part of a class action suit....does anyone know additional info on this suit?
  • penzfan1penzfan1 Member Posts: 28
    Received my legal notice in the mail on 2/16/13. Go here for more info:

http://ocssettlement.hyundaiusa.com/
  • jaszijaszi Member Posts: 7
    Ok, I went from a 2006 Hyundai Azera Ltd (used) to a new 2012 Kia Soul ! in 2012. I didn't think I'd run into any problems with a brand new car, so I took out a 3 year lease. I'm 18 months into my lease and now I'm starting to have some odd problems, with the car either accelerating or deccelerating on it's own. I tend to stay away from highways when this seems to be happening. I am now going to be taking it to the dealership tomorrow for the 3rd time. First time, they reset the adaptive learned settings and 2nd time they put in some more transmission fluid. Tonight, it decided it was going to hold it's breath while I was driving and then the check engine light ( or whatever they are now calling it) came on. Has anyone obtained a successful resolution to this problem? I saw at least 3 complaints on the NHTSA site (only thru 9-30-13 due to gov't shutdown). But can't tell if anyone got it safely fixed.
    Is the alternator covered under the 10/100 warranty?