Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Pickup (pre-Tacoma) issues

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    pauliep13pauliep13 Member Posts: 44
    Check the fuses and fusible links. Especially the larger fuses, especially the one labeled "ALT". It should be about 80A. See if there is ANY corrosion on the fuses themselves or their respective connections.

After that, make sure your idle speed is set properly. My truck had a similar problem with surging because my idle was set too high. It would surge, then die, back and forth when I was holding the brake pedal, similar to what you're saying.

Something else to check, while you have your multimeter out is the Throttle Position Sensor. May be giving bad readings to the computer.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    tferg24tferg24 Member Posts: 2
    I had a similair problem. Could not figure it for a couple of years. There is a part under the throttle body where a coolant line runs into it. There was a piece of silicone from the water pump stuck inside the line. I took the throttle body off and cleaned out everything and the part (don't know right off what it is called)and the truck has not done it since. The reving up and down will wear your timing chain and everything else out ( replaced two before I cleaned the line)
  • Options
    riverrat99riverrat99 Member Posts: 1
    The windshield washer on my '89 pickup quit & then @#$$!%^ the wipers, too,
    about a week later! Fuse & fuseblock circuit tested hot and the female connector
    at the trans/motor assy. on the firewall is hot on one terminal only when I turn
    key & wiper switch on. I'm notta "parts-replacer until it's fixed"-type. The wipers
    are basic 2-speed (non-intermittent).

I have no schematic & need to know if it's the column-stalk switch, or
    the motor/assy., or (gasp!) something else?
This discussion has been closed.