Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .....the ABS light has been coming off and on for several months now. I thought it was a short, but now I am beginning to think it is related. Any have this issue or thoughts?

Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. Could be as simple as a faulty sensor or clogged tone ring on that corner. Why not disable the ABS (normal brake function will be unaffected) and see if the symptoms disappear?
  • jor9500jor9500 Member Posts: 3
    Mac,

I disabled it last night when i got home, should know something on my way to work. What is a tone ring?
  • jor9500jor9500 Member Posts: 3
    Unless I didn't disable the ABS correctly, this didn't solve the problem. I pulled the 60 amp fuse in the main control box under the hood, this is the only way I know how to disable. Now I am back to square one.
  • fordman2154fordman2154 Member Posts: 2
    hello i need help and dont have anyone around me that can help i have a 1982 ford f150 4x4 it has standard sterring column i need to instale a tilt wheel all the slavage yards around me have none for my truck do you know what will work :sick:
  • fordman2154fordman2154 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1982 ford f150 4x4 i want to instale a tilt sterring colum can't find one for my truck around here and no one can tell me what other will interchange anyone have any ideas thanks
  • jackaggiejackaggie Member Posts: 3
    I did take mine in and the dealership added some "additive" which seems to have cured the problem. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (in one of my prior messages) which recommends a complete clutch package replacement. I guess as long as the additive cures the problem, then I would rather go that route as it minimizes the chances of the dealership screwing up something else. Only the long haul will tell me if the additive cured the problem or is simply masking it for the time being.
  • 99roushford99roushford Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 F150 7700 with disk brakes. the emergency brake cables are free and move and pull the lever on the wheels to apply the brakes but the cables are so loose there is not enough travel to have the break engage. there is no adjustment on the cables or can I see any on the wheel. I have been told it is on the emergency brake pedal but can see nothing there can any one advise me?
  • innessinness Member Posts: 4
    Well, here I go again. My dealership called in the Mid-Atlantic Ford Motor Co. Represntative last week to meet with me. It was explained that the whole rack pinion steering, drive shaft, spacers of different sizes for the wheels were all replaced and none of these attempts worked. Now I'm into week 6. Last Friday they said the last attempt would be to change out the entire 3rd Unit (leaf springs and the whole rear end / axle)to see if this fixed the vibrations. I received word today that this did not work. The parts used were taken from a 2006 model, exactly the same as my truck. The Ford company rep. and the service manager told me that this was the last thing they could do to fix the problem, and if this didn't work they would replace my vehicle or settle out. That's where I'm at now. So for now, I'm waiting to see how the Dealership / Ford Motor Corporation solve this. Good luck with your quest, and don't let the dealership tell you otherwise. Call Ford Motor Corporation, I know you'll get some attention then. It's a Harmonic Imbalance problem caused by the deign of the truck (drive train, frame, etc.).
  • masstransmasstrans Member Posts: 1
    My father-in-law has a similar problem with his 1990 F250. The dealer told him there was nothing they could do (I suspect they just couldn't figure out what was wrong). Did you have any resolution to this problem?
  • gwsrrbgwsrrb Member Posts: 1
    Can you let me know what the problem was? This just happened to my truck today. Thanks!
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Gee, I like the fantastic exterior of the current F150 4X4, like the great interior and center stack, and the step-in is fine for someone who is only 5'10" (try the step in on a Dodge 1500 for comparison; you'll need to make two steps to get in). But to read these posts about drive train problems, heads that spit plugs and then can't be helicoiled, etc. makes me wonder.

Have they cured the drive train vibration problem in '06? If I were to look for a used '05 does the drive train vibration show up all the time or is it intermittent?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I would stay away from late model F150s, including the '06 model. I am really getting annoyed by all these issues with the new trucks. Chevy and Dodge have them too. I thought that Chevy transmissions were great and all of a sudden transmissions on 1 year old Chevy z71's in my neighborhood are failing left and right. I happen to have an '06 Z71 and I am less than delighted to hear this.
  • rosswurmjrosswurmj Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 F150 Crew Cab has a terrible vibration that seems like it is due to the bed vibrating or shaking. My Ford dealer checked it out and said the bed it tight, etc. and that it is just the way the body/frame is built. Still doesn't seem right to me. Have never driven a pick-up and had the bed bounce and move like this one.
    ...........and that it is just the way the body/frame is built. Still doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, it is the way it's built (and it's the way they continue to build them), and no, it doesn't seem right to many other owners either.

Read back through this forum to see your problem repeated many, many times. :(
  • efk9efk9 Member Posts: 1
    While my truck was in for PA inspection at the local Ford dealer, they said that the rear right wheel cylinder was leaking, so I said go ahead and replace it. When I got the truck back I noticed a vibration from the front end when braking hard, that wasn't there previously. It is not noticeable while braking at slower speeds. It seems like warped rotors, but this just started after getting the truck back from the dealer.I took it back and questioned them about it and they said that the rear fix would not cause the front vibration and of course they would look into it for an additional cost. I said don't bother. I replaced the rotors, brakes and calipers. The rotors and brakes only had about 12k miles on them. Needless to say I still have the problem. Is it possible that they put in a defective wheel cylinder that is causing some kind of pressure problem? I bled the whole system with new fluid about 2 years ago and never had any problems. Any body have any ideas?
  • tailwaterstailwaters Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem today with my 2003 F-150 4x4. Was out showing some farmland and put the thing in 4x4. The light came on but after we got stuck we discovered it never was in 4 wheel. We than tried everything to get out but the back wheels just spun. We called a guy around the corner and he came and pulled me out. After we got moving the thing went int 4 wheel drive low and would not come out. We tried rocking it, backing up, everything to no avail. I had no choice but to drive it home in 4 wheel drive low for 2 miles. When I got home I turned it off and let it sit a bit. After about 20 minutes I was able to get it out of 4 wheel drive and back into 2 wheel drive. I now can go in and out of normal 4 wheel drive but now I don't have a 4 wheel drive low. I rarely ever use 4 wheel drive so needless to say I pretty upset. I'm almost thinking some type of sensor was went bad??? Anyone else had the issue?
    I am not sure about Fords, but some Chevy trucks have problems with the Autotrac transfer case switches (selector switch for 4WD high and low). Sounds like you may have a defective switch too. Hopefully that's all it is, because the switch is the least expensive part to replace in the 4WD system. I personally strongly dislike electronic transfer cases. I prefer the old fashioned lever. It is a lot more reliable and I am not too lazy to pull on it.
  • brownybrowny Member Posts: 3
    to dieselblues.theres a few things with fords awful hub system 1-vac.sensor 2-oring on hub 3-bearing in the hub.the system work on a pulse on off on off.all the time.weather hubs are locked or not.and the tolerance are so tight that even a slightly worn hub bearing can screw it up.good luck ps they should have left it alone.lock your hubs and pull the stick.the good old days.from browny
    to obxlover4. your not the only one with this problem.first thing is stop going to that dealer they suck.email ford and tellem.the vibration is happening on 150 and 250. 20041/2 to 2005. trucks.three truck owners i know.there front hub unit was no good. all had under 30.000 miles on them.and one truck had a bad tire.what has happened is ford mo.co.is cutting back on warranty money to dealership. so some dealers will just bull S.in till your warranty is up. so you have to pay it.so go to some other dealer. from browny.
    to apapp4.they do owe you a new engine.first off ford has had lots of problems with the fuel systems from computer stuff and bad injectors.sometimes to point gas would come out the tail pipe.your engine was probably already gas washed in that cylinder.so what they did was let idle for awhile put it on the anolizer brought the rpms up by this time its full of gas and blew the cylinder out.call ford custumer serice number.start there.
  • mtbbkrmtbbkr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 F150 Supercrew, my 4th F150, my first 4X4. When I turn left, which unweights the left front wheel, and pass over a dip the left front suspension makes a clunking sound as the wheel drops into the dip. I have had it to the dealer two times, the first time they checked all fasteners for tightness and torque specs, the second they replaced the upper A arm. Still makes the sound. Is this sound inherent to a 4X4 as I have never heard a sound like this on any of my previous F150s. :confuse: image
  • piper460piper460 Member Posts: 1
    HEY DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF WHAT WOULD CAUSE ONLY ONE WINDOW ON AN F150 SUPERCREW NOT TO GO DOWN. I CHANGED THE DRIVE MOTOR AND IT WONT GO DOWN. UP IS NO PROBLEM. THANKS FOR THE HELP
    Bad switch?
  • fordman24fordman24 Member Posts: 2
    recently I replaced my starting system(alternator, starter, cylanoid, voltage regulator, and the battery) but I can't seem to figure out why the voltage regulator keeps dying, and the battery also dies. I have an 1985 F-250, can anyone help me?
  • richard007richard007 Member Posts: 1
    I am the proud owner of a 2002 F150 5.4L with 73K miles.
    Several months ago it developed a miss, the local parts house scanned the engine codes and determined the #8 cylinder was misfiring. The next day it cleared up and has run fine until a few days ago. The miss returned another scan determined that #7 & #8 were misfiring. I decided I better try to find out why, so I bought a set of plugs and a COP module. When I removed the plugs there was considerable moisture in the 7 & 8 plug wells and the rubber boot was very wet.
    Three questions what is the correct torque for the newly installed plugs, and does anyone have any idea where the moisture is coming from? (I do not wash my engine), and do I dare seal the boots to the head with high temp silicone?
    Thanks in advance.
  • jteleskyjtelesky Member Posts: 13
    All those F-150 owners out there be patient... The vibration problem or harmonics can be addressed through your dealership and finally with Ford Engineers and representatives. Ford has been very fair in dealing with my 05 but you must take the proper approach. Butting heads and acting as a gorilla will not solve your problem. Think before you act and be respectful. This is an excellent truck...
  • bfassettbfassett Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2002 F-150 and had some spark plug issues.The heads on this model are aluminum and thin.Ford knows they had a problems with the engine "spitting" plugs.They only grab about 3 threads.Make sure this is not an issue.Usually they can't be fixed without replacing the head. My problems all started on the # 3 cylnder.First with a coil and then the injector went bad and then the plug went.BOOM I was only doing 10 mph so that prevented more damage. Have your dealer check.You may be able to do some preventative maintenance.
  • mudder1mudder1 Member Posts: 1
    would water plug them up
    and wat would make it not run l :sick:
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Doesn't matter if it's Ford, Chev, or Dodge injerters(whatever that is) there is no internal combustion engine that I am aware of that will run on water.....
  • tcandsuetcandsue Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 f-250 4x4. When traveling 65 mph and I encounter a rough spot on the freeway or pot hole, the front end goes into a violent uncontrollable shake and woble. I took it in to the dealer and they said the dampener rod was out and replaced it. It was ok for a while but started again, only worse. When it happens I have no choice but to slow down, and as I do it amplifies the problem but stops after the speed is reduced . This is a very serious prblem and I think if it happens in a curve I am going to lose control.I know the 4x4's have a stiffer suspension, but this is crazy. I hope someone can share a similar experience and some advise. Thanks,White Knuckles.
  • timswifetimswife Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2005 F250 with the same problem. I brought it to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong and they never heard of the problem. Please let me know how many others you hear back from with the same problem.
  • tcandsuetcandsue Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Timswife. I took it to another dealer yesterday, and the dampener strut was ok. They did however redo all of the front suspension adjustments as they said they were out of wack so to speak. The steering arm, tie rod, etc. They said there really wasn't much wrong. It seems like it is better, but I will know more tomorrow hen I get back out on the highway. I am not very optimistic though. Just how severe would you say your experience was? My next step will be to take the service manager out with me on a road test. That should set some alarms off. Regards, Tom
  • timswifetimswife Member Posts: 3
    Hi Tom,

I am writing for my husband Tim. He said it was so severe he could hardly keep control of the vehicle (he is avery strong man). He said If I was driving it I would have been in a very bad accident.
    Thanks for the reassuring post. But, what is the solution and how will it be addressed by the Ford dealer body? Has it been fixed for the MY2006 F150's so that the don't vibrate?
  • 04e35004e350 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my 2004 F-150 FX4 truck for 18 days. It has 14,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop for 5 days already. It has a loud rattling noise from underneath at 50 mph or when pulling a hill, and between 1st and 2nd gear-it "bogs down". We took it to a Ford service center, (not the one we bought it at-that's a whole separate issue for another time!!!). In 1 week, they replaced the radiator for a leak, serpentine belt, bolts in the fan shroud (wrong ones were in there), air cleaner bracket, intake tube bracket, both catalytic converters, drive belt, and tightened the transmission oil cooler (which was falling off), and the problems are still not resolved. Dealer says they don't know how to fix the problem. They can hear the rattling noise when driving vehicle and can feel shifting problem, but unable to resolve issue. Truck is going back to original dealership on Monday and we are getting our trade-in back (per dealer suggestion!). This vehicle is a previous Ford buyback, and we are already the 4th owners, (of which we were not aware of either of these issues at time of sale). What is wrong with this picture? Has anyone been through similar situation or know what the problem is with the truck?
    I've always wondered what happened to factory buy backs. Does a complete Car Fax (beware, there are different levels of a Car Fax you can run; the free one the dealer offers you is very cursory) tip one off to a buy back??
  • fordman24fordman24 Member Posts: 2
    i keep going through starters and cant figure out why they keep going bad on me please help.
  • 04e35004e350 Member Posts: 2
    Not if it was NOT reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON. The CARFAX report we ran was a single report over the internet that we paid $19.99 for. It really was not much help in our situation as far as the "buyback" issue was concerned. We only found out after the sale because the dealer called 5 days later to tell us we had to sign a paper stating we are aware the vehicle is a buyback. You can imagine what my answer was!!!
  • thnkfstthnkfst Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2005 F250 with 23k miles and just experienced the problem you are describing. I was traveling about 55 and ran over a pot hole. The truck started shaking uncontrollably it felt as if my front wheel was falling off. I will try the dealer tonight.
  • broncoman81broncoman81 Member Posts: 2
    the problem you are haveing is similar to mine but i have no moisture your moisture is hrom the hose going to the heater core it has a small leak getting into the bore for the spark plug and shorting it out
  • balew1952balew1952 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F150 with 80K miles. The tie rod on the driver's side snapped off while I was driving. It actually punctured the aluminum wheel! Before this happened there was no sign of wear or play in the steering.
    I have seen a TSB for this condition from Ford. Has there been any recall activity or warranty extension for this? The repair for the tie rods and an alignment was $300 and I still have to find a new wheel!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    80K is plenty of life for a tie rod, so I think it's normal wear and tear. It's not something you necessarily might "feel" when the tie rod is worn out. Right around 80K is when most cars' suspensions and steering start to get tired. We don't notice the deterioration because it is so gradual.

Still, having the tie rod snap off is a scary situation. I had it happen to me, and it was not nice. Glad to hear you're okay.

Next thing---check the other side and, in fact, just replace it right now.
  • rod10rod10 Member Posts: 1
    I fell in love with my 6.0 Super Duty but was soon disillusioned when the inner cooler blew on a cross country trip, leaving me and my wife stranded. I had good luck getting it repaired and was on my way again in 24 hours. On our next cross country trip the inner cooler blew again, leaving us stranded a second time. This time we didn't have good luck in getting it fixed. We had to send for someone to tow our fifth wheel home and we incurred additional expense. It was poorly repaired and I had to do some minor repairs on the way home when the inner cooler hose came apart because of poor workmanship. I took it back to Ford where they assured me the proper repairs were made. I was disillusioned and it was then more like a love-hate relationship with my truck. I couldn't trust it. We then took it on another trip pulling our RV when again the inner cooler blew. I took it back to the dealer for repairs. They replaced inner cooler and turbo charger and claim that it is fixed properly now. How would you bet? Last, but the most serious was my dealings with a gentleman at Ford Corporate Headquarters named Michael. I had a conversation with him and he promised a resolution and made a phone appointment to let me know what Ford would do for me. He did not keep the appointment and when I called later in the day he spoke to me long enough to put me on hold for 30 minutes after which I hung up and called again.
    I have tried to reach him several times since but he will not return my calls.
    Maybe in time I could live with this truck if it doesn't give me any more trouble, but the experience with the highest level of Ford has changed my mind about dealing with Ford in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions for what other options I may have in this case?
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Member Posts: 105
    My 87 F150 which has the 300 straight six.When I cold start the truck,the idle swings back and forth from 400 RPM to 1200 RPM.This begins to improve after several minutes and idles around 700 steady when warm.Does any one have any ideas?
    You don't say what the actual problem was with your intercooler, but I'd guess it might have been the inlet hose blowing off, a not uncommon problem unfortunately.
  • keuper20keuper20 Member Posts: 5
    for f-150 owners 04-06 with vibration problems ford has multiple solutions based on severity of the vibration and where its coming from.pay close attention at what speed vibration occurs and where you feel it,steering wheel shake or butt shake(seat).this is important.for higher speed steering vibrations the prob is usually tires and/or wheels,most dealerships have balancers that can cure this prob.for box shake there is a vibration dampner that mounts to rear frame to help this prob.for severe shakes poss.driveshaft,tranny mount,or parking brake problems.please be patient,these trucks will have some vibrations because of the ridgid frame design,so we are told.hope this helps.
  • pllangpllang Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 F150, 38K miles. When I turn left or right from a stop there is significant shuddering and vibration. Happens to a lesser degree when going straight, problem is much worse when turning left. My dealer doesn't seem to know what the problem is. Anyone have a similar problem?? On a side note I just had to have the transmission rebuilt, went 1,000 miles after the warrenty ran out. Needless to say I am not a happy camper.
  • keuper20keuper20 Member Posts: 5
    depending on build date there is a tsb for front end shudder.if your brakes pulsate when braking the tsb states to replace front rotors AND rack and pinion.if your truck does not fall under this tsb then i would look into a low pwr steering pump volume pressure or air in the system.
  • phauenstphauenst Member Posts: 1
    I have 2004 F150FX4 with a bad vibration, I mean rattle your teeth out bad! :sick:
    But it is intermittent.
    Also noticed at stop lights the truck would roll at idle when I took my foot off the brake and sometimes would not.
    Dealer was clueless, wanted to change rear end.
    Today it happened again, so I stopped on the highway and noticed smoke coming off my rear wheels, brake rotors/drums were cherry red.
    Turns out my parking brake is hanging up and dragging.
    I see a lot of posts about vibrations, so this might be the first thing that should be looked at.
  • pllangpllang Member Posts: 3
    Keuper20,

Thanks for your comment, The vibration only occurs when starting from a full stop and turning, much worse when turning left, less when turning right, rarely when going straight, does not shudder or vibrate at all when braking. Do you think the problem may be stabilizer or control rod bushings?,

Thanks again,

Paul
This discussion has been closed.