Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• Options
    jhed379jhed379 Member Posts: 1
    Ant,

Would you happen to know anything about whether or not Ford will produce an SVT Fusion or will Hau Tai-Tang get mad if anything was to be revealed?
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    ICK!

Mark
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    agreed, but if it can be almost $14,000 less than a Sienna I think I would just take the Monterey and use the money saved to get something else...
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    There is that possibility. Let's disect this idea...

Plans are still to make a Fusion ST270, which will feature a 270 3.5L V6, one that makes a bit more power than the regular Fusion. IF SVT wishes to do more to it, to SVT-fy it, then so be it. Although the power limitations for the Fusion will be set at 290HP mainly because of the transmission.

Unless, another transmission is retrofitted to allow for more power, in FWD/AWD configuration. So then if we look at the transmission inventory, not many options....unless, there's manual version. And even then, there's not a viable alternative (Volvo S60R's comes closest).

So outsourcing might be possible, but then the price starts escalating...

But this isn't to say, it's not possible.
  • Options
    redboneredbone Member Posts: 11
    The spy shots I've seen of the Edge or Aviator, appear to have a SIRIUS antenna above the wind shield. Does anyone know when they will be available on the Montego though I'm leaning towards the Aviator awd. Is the Aviator to be on sale in spring and what is price range? What other Ford names will have Sirius radios this year?
  • Options
    Will the Aviator offer 3 rows of seats? Has Lincoln determined pricing yet?
  • Options
    ottavottav Member Posts: 31
    Ant:
    Will the advent of the Magellan spell the demise of the Mountaineer? Is there room in Mercury's stable for two 7-passenger vehicles?
  • Options
    Like many other vehicles in Mercury's stable, their sales are needed to sustain the corporate offering. Hence, yes. There is a market for BOF SUV's, and a unibody crossover. The Mountaineer isn't going anywhere for the time being.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The FWD weighs over 4700 and the AWD over 5000. For a 3.6 V-6 that's too much. Yes, I have driven one. It's a very good vehicle in all respects, but too heavy compared to others in its class. Why must everything get bigger and heavier? Oh, I forgot, we live in America. But some day this indulgence will come to an end. Imagine the performance and mileage if the Acadia weighed 500 pounds less.
  • Options
    I saw the December sales results today, and the Freestyle had another good month. Is Ford hoping that buyers will migrate to Mercury and buy the Magellan once the Freestyle is discontinued and help Mercury's sales figures grow?
  • Options
    Good point, here's an example of another issue to note...

Sales for (2004) for the Escape: 183,430
    Sales for (2005) for the Escape: 165,122
    So it looks like it dropped by : -18,308

But, in came the Mariner for the year: 34,099 Units
    So in essense, it's up +15,791 Units having offered the Mariner for Mercury.

*** Note: I'm not mentioning Tribute, because that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm not going to compare Explorer/Mounty either since Ford purposely closed one plant down since that market is shifting to CUV's, and I'm not comparing Freestar/Monterey since that's not something people even want.

But the point is, Mercury is sustainable and while it's not canabilizing it's own sales, it allows Ford to tap into another showroom and demographic respectively while increasing sales of a desired vehicle.

Can the "Magellan" accomplish that? Still remains to be seen. It does allow Mercury to have a distinct vehicle and granted, The Ford Edge will NOT have a Mercury twin. Is that a worry? Not really, in the same Mercury dealership, you'll have the Lincoln MKX to offer.

Ford believes the "Edge" is something that customers might prefer over the Freestyle, and that's ok because after the "Edge" Ford still has a "Multi-Activity-Vehicle" it has plans to release for 2008. The main emphansize you'll note is the versatility of the vehicles that will debut.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I presently tow a 2500 lb boat/trailer and am wondering if the new Edge will tow it. No problem for Explorer or the V6 Escape but I'd like better gas mileage than Explorer since I will do commuting as well as family driving and I don't care for the more stiff riding Escape. Perhaps Edge will do it all!
  • Options
    Ford probably feels that as long as they can keep their remaining plants running at a higher level of efficiency, it will help their financial outlook.

When you add up the number of vehicles produced by the Chicago plant, they sold almost 212,000 vehicles in 2005. That's not bad from one basic design.

Is the plan to update the Five Hundred and Montego for the 2008 MY? If they can get beyond the perceived stigma of being "dull", and get the 3.5L/6F combination, sales will improve.

Now you've got me curious about this Mufti-activity vehicle! I like the Fairlane concept, but read that the decision is that the CD3 chassis was too small.
  • Options
    Tpken,

Yes, you will be able to tow your watercraft with the new "Edge".

Ottav,

Yes, first the F/M/Z vehicles will get the 3.5L and 6A, then the 500/Mtg with styling changes for MY2008, in 2007 that is.
  • Options
    If the Escape rides to stiff for you, Test Drive the Mariner.

Mark
  • Options
    Or he could wait for a Ford Edge.
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    Freestyle sales have picked up recently as Explorer drivers have been shifting.

Finally! Unless you've got to tow something, it makes NO SENSE to get an Explorer over the Freestyle.
  • Options
    V8 Explorer for 06 with 6 speed tranny is so smooth and QUIET. Way more quiet than a Freestyle.

Quietness is a luxuary.

Explorer also offers STANDARD Advance Trac.

Mark
  • Options
    And here is the official release...

Ford Media
  • Options
    Nice...
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I like it, very stylish and edgy lol. ;)

Looks better than the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX and Lexus RX330.

The best looking crossovers right now are Nissan Murano, Mazda CX-7, Hyundai Santa Fe, Chrysler Pacifica and Ford Edge.

Looking forward to seeing how the next trio of GM crossovers and the Lincoln MKX look.
  • Options
    ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Compared to the Freestyle, I notice that the Edge is shorter (185.7 vs 200.7), taller (67 vs 60.1), and heavier (4098 vs. 3649). No wonder I don't see that the Edge will offer the Fusions's 4 cylinder engine. I like the Freestyle better myself, although it needs the 3.5.
  • Options
    I prefer the Freestyle also, but I agree that a bigger engine is desperately needed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link

"says Stephen Kozak, Ford Safety chief engineer."

Hmm, I know this guy!
  • Options
    kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    I note that the Edge has Dual Zone AC, which I think is great as I love that feature on our Freestyle, but I have not seen if the Edge will have the option on 2 position memory driver's seat, also like our Freestyle.

I think a 2 position memeory seat is a must these days for any vehicle that is to be aimed at 30-something young families as the Edge seems to be. Our family swaps cars all the time, depending on who has our daughter (so as not to change the kiddy seats), and I am sure many other families do as well.

So any ideas, does it have 2-position seat memory, ANT?
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Go to media.ford.com. It says that a memory driver's seat is an option on the SEL. Too bad the seats are "6-way" power. If you want 8-way and power lumbar you have to get the MKX. Maybe there will be an Edge Limited model with more of the MKX's features. What say, ANT?
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The Edge only holds 5, so you really can't compare it to the 7 pass Freestyle. What's the market for the Edge as a 5 pass vehicle, or is it just the station wagon version of the Fusion, as the Freestyle is just the station wagon version of the 500?
  • Options
    There are alot of people out there that have been in SUVs (Explorers Expeditions etc) for so long that they do not want to go back to low to the road low roofline cars.

Edge is the perfect solution. Its way more sophisticated than just a station wagon.

You need to drive the Nissan Murano to understand this class.

Mark.
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Anyone know what kind of mpg's this will get? They said mid-20's, but is that 23/24/25/26????
  • Options
    I just don't see a lot of difference between the Edge and the Escape.
  • Options
    "So any ideas, does it have 2-position seat memory, ANT?"

Final toys haven't yet been finalized, you still have to give it a few months for that to be ironed out. This will be researched for the next coming months.
  • Options
    I think if you're going to be doing any type of off-road driving, then you'd be better off with the Explorer.
  • Options
    Anyone know the specs to the Edge...length, width, height? The press release says it's 193" long. Any idea of the price range? Seems like if they're going to make it 193" long, they should have put in a 3rd row, and to make it versatile, have the 2nd row be able to move forward & backward on a track. I think to be a true "crossover" vehicle, then seating 7 is a must. The Honda Pilot is only 188" and has 3 rows. Even if row 3 isn't big, with a sliding row 2 at least you have the option for 7 (or 8 with the Pilot).
  • Options
    ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328

There's a lot of difference. The Edge is 10.8 inches longer, 5.7 inches wider, and 800 lbs heavier than the Escape.
  • Options
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e577 - our coverage from the show, photo slideshow and VIDEO.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I like the styling--better than the MKX.
  • Options
    shopperx8shopperx8 Member Posts: 8
    Any chance that a different powerplant in the Edge will be offered within the next 2 years, like a 2.3L 4 cylinder or a hybrid?

I am excited by what I see with the Edge in terms of features, but I really want a car that pushes closer to 30mpg on the highway before I will buy it.

In this day and age, I think alot of people really want a car thats hits 30mgp, both for their wallet and the environment.

I know the Fusion is planned to go hybrid in 2008, what about the Edge?

Personally I think that a 5 passenger crossover is a great idea compared to a 7-passenger. If you want 7 passangers get a Freestyle or a minivan. What I take exception to is that this 5 passanger vehicle weighs more than the 7 passanger Freestyle and is in the same ballpark as most minivans. A 5-passanger vehicle should get better mpg than a 7-passanger. Why build a 4000lb 5-passanger vehicle? I would like to see is a shrunk down version of the Edge, same look and features, but smaller, lighter, and perhaps little lower. Feel free to comment.
  • Options
    If you think the Pilot or the Highlander have viable 3rd rows, you've obviously never sat there.

Ford is much better of not offering a "third row" then putting in a seat that no real person can use.

Mark.
  • Options
    "Any chance that a different powerplant in the Edge will be offered within the next 2 years, like a 2.3L 4 cylinder or a hybrid? "

Yes.

The 7 passenger vehicle, will be addressed later..."People mover"...
  • Options
    [i]If you think the Pilot or the Highlander have viable 3rd rows, you've obviously never sat there.

Ford is much better of not offering a "third row" then putting in a seat that no real person can use.

Mark.[/i]

I agree exactly with what Mark said. Most third row seats are useless (Tibeca anyone?). The Freestyle is really practical - it was the primary decision as to why we bought that over a Pacifica.
  • Options
    I looked at the options and it seems that the SEL has pretty much the same equipement list as a Limited Freestyle. So that's good.

However, when I mentioned that this may be in the running for my next car (really want the Lincoln MKX - but probably won't be able to afford it) my wife said that we don't need another crossover!

But I like the seating position!!! Whenever I climb into our Audi these days (especially after drive the Freestyle) it always feels like I am falling into a hole! :)
  • Options

There's a lot of difference. The Edge is 10.8 inches longer, 5.7 inches wider, and 800 lbs heavier than the Escape.

Exactly. The Edge is bigger than the Escape, but has about the same cargo & passenger capacity, but I guess it's the same between the Freestyle & Explorer. You have the Edge/Escape and Freesytle/Explorer, with one being a crossover and the other a true SUV. Take you pick.

As far as the 3rd row...I'd rather have one, even if it was pretty small as with the Pilot, Highlander, etc. At least then you have the OPTION of carrying a couple more people, especially a couple of kids. The whole point of crossovers is to have multiple OPTIONS, although having the 3rd row does take up some cargo space, but maybe they could make a removeable 3rd row as an option.
  • Options
    tinamarietinamarie Member Posts: 9
    How exciting, I am in love with the edge. I remember when Audi came out with the allroad and I thought what a cool looking vehicle, when is Ford gonna get there poop together and design something like it. Here is my plan-I've got another 5 years to go with my expedition, it's definetely a 30 something truck. When I hit 40 I will purchase the edge. Then when I turn 50 the freestyle will be in the driveway. ;)
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    I couldn't agree with you more. I really like this vehicle. I have picked the options and aftermarket accesories already. Only question is... pricing. The Mazda CX-7 seems like it can get pretty pricy. I am hopinh the Edge will start lower and be a little more reasonable. I am hoping it follows along the lines of a Pontiac Torrent.
  • Options
    "But I like the seating position!!!"

If you like the seating position, but don't want a crossover, try the Five Hundred.
  • Options
    mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    Checked the Mazda website for more info on the CX-7. They have a build it option with a starting price of just over 23k, for a front drive base model. Does anybody know what the pricing of the edge will be. With the Duratec 35, instead of the turbo charged four banger I would expect it to be less expensive than that, especially because the Equinox and torrent start at about 21k i think, two vehicles that it should be in direct competition with. Edmunds said they expect it to start at around 26-27k which seems absurd to me. Hope somebody can help!
  • Options
    mountfr1mountfr1 Member Posts: 9
    hi folks, anyone know what the Edge will end up costing, roughly? I like the Edge but also like the CX7 Mazda is putting out later this year Thanks.
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    The Edge has the same almost exact dimensions as the Pontiac Torrent. I would not compare it to a Chevy Equinox. It is FAR more upscale an SUV though. A $23K starting price would be realistic.
This discussion has been closed.