Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    According to MMSA, there will be minimal changes in the 2001 Sport's. Some gadgets will be added, but nothing else.
  • pammerspammers Member Posts: 2
    If anyone out there has a Costco Membership, check out their website for the car buying program. I am in the process of working a deal on a new 2000 Montero Sport for $250 over dealer invoice price (including option packages, destination charges & advertising cost). My question is, does anyone know what the standard advertising cost is for Mitsubishi? They are trying to charge me $646 for that fee, but I've read that it should not be more than about 2% of the MSRP on the vehicle. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know. I have to act fast! Thank you!
  • cardfan22cardfan22 Member Posts: 2
    All the research BigEasyAl did on the Montero Sport was incredible. It really makes it easy to negotiate a quick deal when you're loaded with facts on the pricing. I just faxed an offer sheet to the dealer comparing a discounted MSRP with the Dealer Cost + $200 and had a deal done within 15 minutes. No haggling. No back and forth dealing with "my sales manager".

"Pammers" - You may not want to fool with going through Costco if you have the information comparing MSRP with the dealer's cost. The standard Mitsubishi ad fee is 3% off the following number: (base MSRP less 2% dealer holdback and 2% dealer floor financing costs).
  • jkillion2jkillion2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Lmt MS this week. The 3.5L is good. It doesn't have nearly the go of the V8 JGC, but then gets a lot better gas mileage.
    The ride is incredible. I drive about 60 miles a day (hwy and city) for work and enjoy a very smooth ride (very comparable to my Infinity G20). My one complaint is it tends to get pushed around by medium/strong wind.
    The seats are comfortable, but I wish they had a little higher edges. At times, when making turns at higher speeds, it feels like I might slip off. I really wish they had power seats. The heated seat option works great though!!
    The stereo is decent. I'm not an audiophile, so it sounds fine to me (but isn't as clean as the Bose system in my G20). I'm replacing the factory stereo simply b/c of looks. The interior is pretty plain right now and a $300 Sony stereo will give it a little more color and high tech look.
    I'm going back to the dealership Saturday to have them check out a rattling noise that occurs when first accelerating. It occurs in the bottom left side of the dash. Other than that I get a very noise free ride.
    Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. I wish it had pwr seats and dual climate control (the biggest ongoing argument in my marriage is car temp ;) but the upside far outweighs the downside.
    One word of caution and I'll get off my soapbox....DO NOT BUY THE JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE. I almost purchased one since they are giving 5k off MSRP right now. Luckily I read the message board at Edmunds first. It was littered with posts from people whose experiences remind me of Job's (not as in work but as in the person).
    Do your research, and then buy the MS knowing you got the most bang for your buck.
  • mirko2mirko2 Member Posts: 1
    From MINGO

I would like to know how it is with advertisement
    fees. In Chicago area they add $800 to invoice and
    won't lower it.They say Mitsubishi ask for it, and
    I have to pay it. I never hear about it. What's
    the deal? Anybody know? I already burned two
    dealers - no success.
  • pammerspammers Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what to yell you, Mingo. I am unsure about the advertising costs myself. On all the car buying sites I've searched it seems to be a fairly standard cost (varying by make & region), but no one I know has ever paid (or known to have paid) that fee before. In Southern California I am told that the cost is $646, and non-negotiable. I was first dealing with a fleet agent because I was working on a discount membership club deal ($250 above dealer invoice) and was told he had no control to lower the advertising cost. So, I then went to a different dealership today to see if I could negotiate a better deal from scratch. They were able to match the original deal I had, but not go below. I told them that the ad cost was the deal breaker, that $650 was just too high. The manager's response was that it is a non-negotiable standard fee and that "Maybe you should do your research next time, honey."
    Mitsubishi charges fixed fee for advertizing which
    is not $800. 2% of the invoice is closer to the
    real price, even though it is still higher than the actual fee. In addition, most of the time Mitsu builds hold back and floor charge into the invoice to help out dealers.
  • davlnmcgladavlnmcgla Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2000 XLS Sport in January. Mostly I have loved the car until recently. The A/T Temp warning light continued to come on. The dealer said that it was probably electrical. Then it came on again and when I pulled over, smoke started pouring out, it was leaking trans fluid.
    When I brought it to the dealer, no codes were found and they couldn't duplicate the prob. They said there was about 1/2 quart too much fluid in it and drained it but that was it. I now worry about it occuring again. It doesn't happen all the time and it is not at the same time. Also, the console area gets extremely warm. So warm that if you place stuff into the little compartment by the gear lever, it gets warm and if you try to drive with you ankle and lower leg leaning against that area it gets so warm that you can't leave it there. The third problem is when you turn on your headlights, the lever gets very warm, yet the dealer tells me that there is no electrical in there and that it is no problem. I have never had this occur in any other vehicle I have owned. I am getting so mad, I am about to trade it in already on either the Dodge Durango or wait until this fall and get the new Toyota Sequoia. If anyone out there has had any of these problems, or knows anything about them please let me know. I don't know what else to do other than to keep going back to the dealer to try and make them fix it. I just want to make sure that it is my vehicle with the problems and not something that is normal with this particular vehicle.
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    Any owners out there live in the Twin Cities metro area? I just leased a 2K MS XLS from Wayzata Mitsubishi. I must say that the service we received was excellent. We dealt with one salesperson and the General Manager who merely introduced himself, bent over backwards to make us happy and succeeded in doing so. However, this dealer happens to be a client of my law firm so I want to make sure that this great service is consistent with other customers and that I didn't get preferential treatment.

I'm also interested in their service departments and warranty repair requests. Thanks much.

KickMan
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Member Posts: 29
    Folks,

Please leave an email address when posting. This allows for individuals to respond to you directly instead of posting responses that relate only to you.

Thanx, Big Easy Al
    BigEasyAl@hotmail.com

In regards to the ad association fee. It is part of the invoice sent to the dealer. It is a bogus item that is added to the invoice to protect profits to the dealerships. Since so much information is available on the internet, Mitsu dealers needed a way to be able to sell at or close to invoice and still make a profit. If you actually have an invoice, there is a disclaimer at the bottom that states, "This invoice may not reflect the ultimate cost of the vehicle because the Ad Association Fee may be returned" to the dealer "by the distributor."

This disclaimer is used to protect Mitsubishi from lawsuit for false or misleading advertising or fees.

The ad fee on the invoice is 3% and is calculated by taking the invoice price of the vehicle only; subtract 2% for holdback and 2% for flooring; then take that amount and multiply by 3%. In actuality the dealer does pay 1% of that amount to the ad association for regional and national TV, Radio, and print advertising. Local ads for that dealership is the option and expense of the dealer.
  • rr_tigerrr_tiger Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Montero Sport XLS and love the ride (when I'm by myself). However, when my friends join in for the ride, the vehicle bottoms out occasionally making for a very uncomfortable ride not to mention any suspension damage. I know that the suspensions were soften after complaint from previous years that the SUV handled more like a truck instead of a car. My question is: What can I do stiffen the suspension to reduce the car from bottoming out when having a large capacity???
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    My wife is looking for a SUV. She likes the Rodeo but I heard many bad things from various Rodeo owners. It seems that Rodeo is not very reliable (because it was made in IN ??).

I have a little bit more confidence on the Montero Sport because it was made in Japan. Everything I heard is good except underpowered and crash report. Is this SUV ok in highways ?

Grand Vitara is nice but my wife is afraid of the recent heavy rain in Wisconsin. There may be flooding problem in our area.

Nissan is much more expensive. I got an Altima and like to try something from another company.

Any suggestion or comment ? Thanks.

P.S. Is there much price difference/advantage to
    get a CD player/changer installed in
    other stores (like Circuit City, they will
    uninstall the component from your old vehicle
    and then install it to your new one free of
    charge) rather than letting the dealer to
    install the factory one ?
    Please Read the title of post # 292 and the first paragraph thereof.

If you want more information scroll up and read posting # 271. I can send you tons of research but I need to be able to send it to you. You ask for responses to your specific situation yet you leave no forwarding address.

Here is some help, but if you want the rest email me at BigEasyAl@hotmail.com

Mitsubishi Montero Sport Facts

· Montero Sport is one of only two* Mid-sized SUV's to have a four-point three-link rear suspension, replacing the old leaf-spring and shock (pick-up truck) suspension of the competitors.

· Montero Sport offers a full-sized spare tire with matching rims. Some of the competitors offer their full-sized spare on a less expensive unstylish steel rim.

· Montero Sport is the only mid-sized SUV built on a full-sized SUV platform (Montero). Others utilize their small pick-up truck platform to base their SUV. (Such as Toyota Tacoma/4Runner; Nissan Frontier/Pathfinder & Xterra; and Ford Ranger/Explorer)

· Montero Sport is the only mid-sized SUV to use double gaskets to insulate the doors; one on the door itself and another on the vehicle frame. This assist with noise reduction and eliminate moisture intrusion.

Montero Sport vs. Ford Explorer

Both manufactures have four model lines, which makes like comparisons easy.
    In each model line, Montero Sport's base MSRP and fully equipped MSRP is less than each of the Ford Explorer's by as much as $4,400.
    (Example: Montero Sport XLS Base MSRP $27,417 vs. Explorer Eddie Bauer Base MSRP $31,835: Difference of $4,418)
    Montero Sport is taller and has a larger passenger volume than Ford Explorer.
    Montero Sport has more ground clearance than Ford Explorer.

Montero Sport vs. Toyota 4Runner

Montero Sport has four model lines while Toyota 4Runner has only three.
    Montero Sport has more standard features than the 4Runner. For Toyota almost everything is an optional extra or offered in an option package.
    Montero Sport is taller, wider, has a longer wheelbase, yet its total length is shorter than the Toyota 4Runner.
    In each comparable model line, Montero Sport's base MSRP and fully equipped MSRP is less than each of the Toyota 4Runner's by as much as $4,900.
    (Example: Montero Sport Limited w/leather MSRP $31,637 vs. Toyota 4Runner Limited w/ alarm system, sunroof, rack, and foglights MSRP $36,562: Difference of $4,925)
    Montero Sport has a larger passenger volume than Toyota 4Runner.

Montero Sport vs. Isuzu Rodeo

Montero Sport has four model lines while Isuzu Rodeo has only three.
    Montero Sport has a longer wheelbase and longer total length than the Isuzu Rodeo does.
    Similarly equipped Montero Sports are within a few hundred dollars of Isuzu Rodeo.
    (Depending on the model, Montero Sports (base XLS, equipped LS) are less than Isuzu Rodeo (base LSE, equipped LS) by as much as $1,300. While Montero Sports (base LS, and equipped XLS) are just a little more than Isuzu Rodeo (base S, equipped LSE) by as little as $438.
    Montero Sport has a larger passenger volume than Isuzu Rodeo.

(* The other is the jeep grand cherokee)
    I am not a salesperson or a dealer. Just a satisfied MS owner that did a lot of research that I would like to share with others rather than see it go to waste. But in order for me to help I need the following information:

What state do you live in? Rebates and incentives differ by region!
    What is the combined state and local sales tax rate % you will be subject to? I will supply you with detailed pricing for your situation.
    WHAT MODEL MONTERO SPORT ARE YOU CONSIDERING?
    THERE ARE FOUR MODEL LINES; ES, LS, XLS, & LTD?

Do you want 2 or 4 wheel drive? Most important I will be sending you a lot of info and I want to get it right the first time.

And Finally, what options in the vehicle are you looking for? Leather seats, sunroof, roof rack, security system?

I need an email address that is capable of opening microsoft word and excel files OR a daytime fax number and a name to whose attention I should send the information.

I have original dealer invoices with the holdback and flooring amounts, as well as the ad fee charged for each model? I also know of a few dealers that will sell for less than 1 % over invoice no additional fees or charges. And you can opt for the refunds to further reduce your price.

So contact me at BigEasyAl@hotmail.com
  • tcooper2tcooper2 Member Posts: 2
    Big Al,

Interested in information regarding M Limited....
    Sales region in TX (Rebate info.).

Send to: sgrissom@netzero.net.

Thanks
  • suvman350suvman350 Member Posts: 2
    Hi bigeasyal, I'm very interested in buying a Montero ES 4wd model, but I'm not looking to spend outrageous amounts of money. I would appreciate any help you(or anyone else for that matter) can give me.
    Sales region NJ
    E-Mail: Jsdgoalie@aol.com

Thank you
  • suvman350suvman350 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about the last post Bigeasyal, I had the wrong model, the model i'm looking for is the Montero LS 4WD model. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you again
  • chulsey1chulsey1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Bigeasyal! You seem to know about the Montero Sport vehicle. I need your help regarding a new 2000 MS Montero Sport XLS 2 wheel drive. I'm in Birmingham, AL and the dealer has given us a 1.9% rate and a quote of $26,800. The invoice price was $26,145 (?). I heard that the 2001 will be out soon. Is this a good deal?

Also, they're sticking us with the $700 advertising fee. We mentioned deducting it and they indicated that it was non-negotiable.

We were considering a 2000 or 2001 Nissan Xterra, but the Montero Sport seems to offer more and the special financing brings the payment close to the Xterra monthly payment amount. We've never owned a MS and are unsure about reliability, etc. Please help.
    They will not deduct the advertizing fee. $700 is higher what MMSA charges them, and you can try to get to the 2% of the MSRP. MY 2000 has various financing (from 0.9% and up if you qualify) so it will make your payments and your fanal COST lower. According to MMSA 2001 has little changes, mainly cosmetic stuff.
    Nissan Xterra is a good purchase if you are on VPP, otherwise (at least here in Illinois) they will charge you MSRP or close to it.
  • fsuufmomfsuufmom Member Posts: 7
    We are comparing the 2000 4Runner Limited, 2001 Pathfinder LE w/ leather and 2000 MS Limited with leather. Have not sat down to haggle with dealers yet but MS Limited seems to be a much better deal. In Central Florida, I found a dealer with a $2000 rebate or 1.9% financing for up to 60 months. Not sure what the bottom line would be since we are only at test driving stage. $700 advertising fee seems way too high. Anyone find good deals in Central Florida?
  • davlnmcgladavlnmcgla Member Posts: 2
    Bigeasyal,

I am looking to see if you have any answers or info about my 2000 XLS Sport 4x4. It is the post #290 if you could e-mail me back with any info I would greatly appreciate it. my email is:

Davlnmcgla@aol.com

Thanks. David
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    To help bottoming suspension, I would suggest you try installing air bags between the coils. I plan to do the same on my 2000 Limited 4X4. I had done this on a 1992 4-Runner, and they worked very well. Plus the ride turned out better. The suspension would not hit the rubber stopper that is removed when the air bags are installed.

The only problem at this time, is finding somebody that makes one for the 2000 Sport. Like Air Ride or Firestone Air Rite. But they will eventually.

I want them for hauling a boat with people. Really bottoms out bad with this weight.

And you can adjust how much air you want for the load condition. Cost for the air bags are around $100.00. Extra cost for installation or you can install them. If you do install, it took me about 4 hrs to do the 4-Runner. Have to remove the coils and the rubber stopper. So you need to have a spring compression tool or clamps. And you will have to drill a hole through the bottom of the spring mounting plate for the air hose. May have changed design since I last did mine.
  • jrhyerjrhyer Member Posts: 1
    This past February, while backing out of our driveway, with 13" of snow on the ground, the drivers side mud flap bent forwards and broke away from the plastic it is attached to. Upon checking with the dealer and Mitsubishi Customer Care, I was told that this is cosmetic AND IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY! By the way, in order to fix the problem, you must (so I was told by the Service Manager) replace the WHOLE FENDER!
    This sounds like a design flaw, but they're sticking to their guns and I am pursuing this issue with a local TV station.
    I was wondering if other owners in Buffalo or Minneapolis, Cleveland (where they receive a whole lot more snow, than Maryland) have experienced the same problem and if so how did they get resolution.
  • parrothead21parrothead21 Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a 2000 Sport XLS. Love it, except for 1 thing: when going
    over 55MPH, the thing WHISTLES. It is VERY annoying. The stripping around the
    front driver and passenger doors is faulty. I talked to dealer and they have had
    many complaints of this happening. What they do is remove the original stripping
    and replace it with a newer, upgraded one.

I have a problem with the design of the doors/stripping material placement in
    the first place. If you look at practically ANY car on the road, the door (at
    the top) is flush with the roof of the car. You can’t even see the rubber/molded
    stripping. On the Sport, the stripping is ALL you see – you can see all of it.
    WHY was this designed like it is? The Montero isn’t like this. Just the SPORT!
    It just looks TACKY and obviously has flaws – an annoying whistling noise above
    55MPH!!

Other than that, its great. Has a hard time climbing hills with out downshifting
    and gas mileage isn’t to great….but what SUV gets good gas mileage?

Anyone find a good rear cargo liner?? Let me know, thanks, Joe

3puttking@mail.com
  • ucsucs Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have the 2000 Montero Sport LS. The problem i am having is when you have the AC on and the compressor fires, i get some vibration sound. It is very irritating sound. The dealer says its by design. But i dont think any body would like to design like that. Did some body have this kind of problem??
    JrHyer

I live in Minnesota and, although I have not been for a winter yet, someone did back into 2000 MS scratching the bumper and bending the tailpipe and the mudfplap mounting plate. In looking at the mudflap, I don't see how the whole fender needs replacement. In fact, if I'm not mistaken mudflaps are an option. They've gotta be mounted somehow, right?
    Can anyone recommend an online source for OEM parts? I need to replace a tailpipe, bumper cover and step plate on my 2000 MS. Thanks for any leads.

Ron
    baker.ronald@dorseylaw.com
    Thinking of buying the MS Limited with leather within the next week or two. I live in Orlando area. Florida sales tax is 6%. Local dealers have a 1.9% financing offer for up to 60 months or $2000 rebate. It is my understanding that they are exclusive...one or the other. Please send the information you have for this area to me at: k8clark@earthlink.net
    Thanks!
  • cgrossmanncgrossmann Member Posts: 2
    BigEasyAl - I am thinking of buying MS LS within two weeks. I live in Milwaukee, WI. I don't know what our sales tax is. The dealers are offering 1.9% financing and 80 gallons of gas a month for 3 months. I would also like your help in whether it is better (cheaper)to buy or lease a MS. I drive about 12,000 miles a year and I like a new car every 3 to 4 years.
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
  • cgrossmanncgrossmann Member Posts: 2
    BigEasyAl - I for got my E-mail address for posting #311 cgrossmann. You can reach me at craigg@supremecores.com
    Reply to Post #290

Dave

I read your post about your tranny running hot. It sounds to me like you should, first, try a different dealer service department (if you have that choice). Sometimes it makes a world of difference. If they give you the "could not duplicate" BS, make a bee line to your computer and hammer out a short and sweet letter to Mitsubishi Motors in Cypress, CA and let them know that your patience is short and that you expect a no-nonsense resolution immediately or you'll take them to court for the cost of a new transmission. In the meantime, strongly consider an independent transmission shop to look at it and determine why it's running hot.

Isn't it interesting how you can have flames leaping 10 feet high out of your engine but dealers can't find the problem when it's under warranty; but the minute it's out of warranty they're able to diagnose your car from bumper to bumper.

Keep us posted. It's in all of our interest.

Ron
    Edmund's has just posted info. on the 2001 Montero Sport but without a picture. Has anyone seen them? Edmund's shows invoice at only $1000 more than the 2000. Any good deals out there? Thanks!
  • movin2thcoldmovin2thcold Member Posts: 1
    I'm moving from Atlanta to Cleveland and own a 99' Montero Sport LS 2wd. I'm concerned about the weather and wonder if I'm going to "lose it" with rear-wheel drive. Should I figure out some way to get a 4wd or are there any inexpensive solutions to my dilemma? I noticed you are from Chicago, so I figured you know! My email is schottelkotte@mindspring.com
    Thanks!
    I looked at Edmunds details on the 2001 MS Sport. If you read it carefully, it is talking about the 2001 Montero and not the Sport. They goofed.
    Although, the statistics, price, and models looks ok for it to be a 2001.
  • jdarnell1jdarnell1 Member Posts: 1
    How concerned should I be about the poor performance of the Sport in the offset crash test?
    (I am also considering a Ford Explorer only because it's safer and has rear air in the XLT model.)
    I am looking at a used 2000 LS ,4X4, 15,000k miles, dealer priced at $19,980. Any opinions? What should I pay?
    Please note it is now end of July 2000.
    Thanks ahead!
    I've been experiencing a condition in my steering column on my 2K XLS where it feels as though bumps and other road vibration are being absorbed in the steering column way more than it should. The steering wheel also shimmies sporadically at highway speeds. I've gone to the dealer and, being that it's under warranty, they didn't want to put any time into fixing it so they took the lazy route and merely balanced the tires.

If anyone has experienced this steering column condition, please advise. Thanks.

Ron
    After I posted, I realized that the write-up was about the Monetro and not the MSport. But you are also correct, the price makes is seem as if it is the 2001 MS. Will keep watching.

I am still debating about the '01 Pathfinder. But it is hard to walk away from the 2000 MS deals!
  • redfd15redfd15 Member Posts: 4
    I'm going to purchase a new 2000 MS XLS or limited 4wd in the near future. Now that many of you have had them awhile I need to know if it's worth it or if I should wait for the 2001's or just go with a Toyota 4runner. Also, what is a good price for the Chicago area. Thanks MS owners!!! RedFD15
    I purchased a 2000 MS LTD 4X4 in Nov. 1999. So far, it has been a very good vehicle. Being a Toyota loyalist, owned several and have a T100, I choose the MS over the 4Runner, mainly due to price. The LTD 4Runner was about $5000 more. These two vehicles, if you compare, are very much alike.

Right now, Mitsubishi is offering some very good incentives, and you should be able to get one at a great price. From what I heard, the 2001 MS is not going to be much different from the 2000. Just a price increase. Edmunds showed a $1000+ increase on the 2001, if you trust the report figures.

This vehicle is very quiet and has a great ride for a SUV. Fuel Economy has also been good. I have not been disappointed so far. Rather, I have been surprised on how good a vehicle it is.
  • monugenmonugen Member Posts: 2
    A dealership in my home town has a 2000 Montero Sport XLS on his lot and I just called to get the price of it and he said that it is not a 7 passenger. I have done some research and all that I have seen say that it is. Is the 3rd seat optional? Is that maybe why this one doesn't have it? He really gave me no answers. It has 20,000 miles on it and they are asking $22,000. for it. Is this a good deal or not? I have to have at least 7 seats. Thanks for the info.
    monugen

I don't believe that the 3rd seat is an option in the Montero Sport. There is 7 person seating available in the Montero. Could that be what you're thinking of?
  • cardfan22cardfan22 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Montero Sport XLS (with premium package) for one month. I have one major disappointment - it simply doesn't have enough power for the size of the vehicle. When I hit the accelerator, I expect it to go, but it always starts out sluggishly. Once it finally gets up to a reasonable speed, everything is fine. Smooth ride, 18.5 to 19.5 MPG in the city, good sound system, etc.

I'm having a little buyers remorse. Kinda wish I had gotten the 2001 Pathfinder LE. The new, more powerful engine of the Pathfinder is definitely better. Also, the interior is a little better, with climate control, power seats, etc. The 4Runner was also excellent, but a bit pricey. I saved a few bucks but I'm not sure I made the right choice. Only time will tell.
    TIME IS RUNNING OUT THE 2001 MODELS ARE ALMOST HERE! I have a ton of research on 2000 Montero Sports and am willing to share it with anyone who asks.

If you are considering purchasing a 2000 Montero Sport and would like information to assist you in pricing, negotiation tactics, and details on dealer installed options, email me at BigEasyAl@hotmail.com.

To assist you, YOU MUST PROVIDE ME WITH THE ANSWERS TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
    1) what model Montero Sport are you considering? There are four (4) ES, LS, XLS, and Limited
    2) do you want 2 or 4 wheel drive?
    3) what state do you live in? Rebates and incentives differ depending on what region you live in?
    4) what option packages are you considering?
    ES - does not offer any packages
    LS- preferred package (includes roof rack, side steps, and rear window deflector/spoiler)
    LS - security system (keyless remote and alarm)
    XLS - Premium package (sunroof, leather seats, 210 watt infinity stereo system)
    Limited - Leather Seating package (leather heated seats)

What I will provide you with is: (microsoft excel & word files)
    1) a car buying process description that instructs you to negotiate with several dealers at the same time via fax.
    2) a sample cover letter to send to the dealership outlining your purchase
    3) a sample offer sheet to price out your offer and give the dealership an opportunity to match your offer or make a counter-offer
    4) a detailed car pricing worksheet that will outline in specific detail exactly how much the dealership is profiting from the sale of the particular vehicle you are buying
    5) a survey listing of the prices charged for all of the available dealer installed options (such as the trailer hitch, wire harness, wheel locks, bug guard, cargo net, CD changer, etc.)
    6) a detailed listing of the invoice pricing, MSRP, and factory option packages for all of the Montero Sport models in the event you wish to price out a different model yourself.
    7) Actual dealer invoices and pricing info.
    8) Some Montero Sport facts in the event you are unsure of what SUV you wish to purchase.
    9) Some comparitive data on how Montero Sport compares to 4runner, Explorer, and Rodeo. This info compares apples to apples each model line of each manufacturer.

You can then use all this information to prepare to negotiate with as many dealerships as you care to. All you need to do is contact each dealership that you are willing to travel to and get the salesmanagers name, address, and fax number.

HOWEVER, IF YOU SEND ME A DAYTIME FAX NUMBER, I can fax to you the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all the mitsubishi dealerships in your state and the surrounding states. Some of the information I have is only in paper form and can not be sent electronically. Therefore, if you want the listing of dealership names, etc. and original invoices, You must send me a daytime fax number.

The purchase process that I advocate is as follows:
    1) You only want to deal with a salesmanager or general manager. These folks are salaried employees and accustom to dealing in fleet purchases and cutting deals as low as possible to make the sale. The success of the manager is judged by the number of units sold not the price they are sold at!
    2) Once you have decided on what model and options you want to purchase, write an offer sheet and fax it to as many dealerships as possible and to the attention of the salesmanger. The offer and cover letter should spell out everything about your purchase. Model, color, options, financing, rebates, expected purchase date, etc. and the letter should also state that you will only visit the dealership after a final price is determined.
    3) Keep a seperate folder on each offer you fax out. Once the dealership gets your fax you can bet that your phone will start ringing and unless you keep track of who you spoke to and when you spoke to them, you will begin to confuse the details of the deals.
    4) DO NOT AGREE TO PAY FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NEGOTIATED PRICE OF THE VEHICLE, SALES TAX, AND NO MORE THAN $125 in licensing, title, and misc. fees. Anything else you agree to pay for is pure profit to the dealership, and you are just throwing your money away. Don't believe any claims of mandatory fees, charges, etc. They will try to sell you protection packages, fabric guard, undercoating, extended warranty, etc. Don't buy it! Remember new vehicles come with bumper to bumper warranties. 100,000 mile warranty on paint and rust thru (no need to buy paint protection or undercoating), fabrics are scotch guarded at the factory so they are able to clean soiled spots before shipping, and extended warranties from the dealership are garbage. IF you really feel the need to purchase an extended warranty, you can get a NO-Deductible 100,000 mile extended warranty that even covers wear and tear for less than $800 through www.WarrantyDirect.com. And you can bring the vehicle to any national service center such as firestone, pep boys, goodyear, etc. as well as to any dealership.

To educate yourself more on how to get the best deal in purchasing a new car, check out www.carbuyingtips.com They have a 6 part tutorial that will open your eyes to what car dealerships have been doing to us for years.

Thanx,
    BIGEASYAL@HOTMAIL.COM
  • golfball7golfball7 Member Posts: 3
    I, too, have the problem with a vibration in the AC of a brand new 2000 Montero Sport. I love the vehicle, in spite of the fact that the engine is a little weak accelerating from a standstill, but the AC vibration is frustrating. When the air is off there is no problem. The problem occurs in my vehicle at around 2300 to 2700 RPM. There is bound to be something Mitsubishi cna do about this! I promise you it was not designed to do that. They just don't want to fix them. It is a shame that such a great looking and tough SUV would allow a irritating problem like a vibration to turn people off to the pleasure of driving it!
  • mbradambrada Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2000 Montero Sport Limited with the 3.5L engine. I will buy towing a Starcraft Pop-Up camper that weighs approximately 2000 lbs. I know the specs say 5000 lbs towing but would like opinions from some who have towed with this vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
    Mark Brada
  • verypickyverypicky Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2000 MS LTD. After a few hundred miles I also have noticed a disconnect or lose feeling in the steering on bumpy roads. I called the service department and setup an appointment. I was hoping to hear that they were aware of this problem, but they did not indicate this. Does anyone know if Mitsubishi has a fix for this? I like everything else about the vehicle, but this is giving me buyers remorse.
    to everyone:

WHEN POSTING TO THIS BOARD, PLEASE PUT A RETURN EMAIL ADDRESS SO OTHERS CAN REPLY TO YOU DIRECTLY.

THANX, BIGEASYAL@HOTMAIL.COM

very picky:

What did you drive previous to your montero sport purchase?
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Many of our users prefer to keep their email address private, which is why they have the option to do so in their profile. There is no rule or precedence for anyone to post their email address, nor should anyone feel compelled to reveal any personal information here.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
    Is anyone using K&N filter in their Montero Sport? Any difference?