Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Anyone have any thoughts on the possibilities of warranty replacement and/or repair of this tire?

I think the only way you could get some reimbursement on the damaged tire is from your car insurance. And even with a low deductable on comprehensive coverage ($100) you would still end up paying half of the cost yourself. The warranty is for "defects", and I don't think hitting a curb makes the tire defective.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    My stock Stereo/CD changer has an error code.

That's the radio code because the battery was disconnected. You should have a card with the code on it. It looks like a credit card. Punch in the numbers and it will work.

When do I get my timing chain done?

You have a timing belt on that model, not a chain. It used to be 90k miles but the 02 may be different. I'll bet Elroy knows. ;)

Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    snakenocsnakenoc Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here, so I want to ask a few questions and throw out a few commnts. Thanks for having me.

I have a 2002 Accord EX 4 banger/ automatic/ 4 door. I have no kids and bought a 4 door because I like the room this car provides. I'm a former Cadillac STS owner, so there are a few of us that have come over to the Honda product that can afford a fast luxury car. A few years back when I bought this Honda used about 18K miles I was shocked how slow it was. I was determined to save some gas and the environment, so I bougt it anyway.

It didn't take long and I learned that you just have to hit the gas pedal harder and it goes, and goes well. Duh.

I've got almost 90K on the vehicle now. It has been flawless. Gas and oil. I did kill the batterey a few weeks ago, that's what my first question will be to you all:

My stock Stereo/CD changer has an error code. I've been rolling around LA/OC with no tunes or traffic reports, not good. A suggestion would be great.

Also, the reverse gear RPM on my Accord is virtually the same in "D" or "R".

When do I get my tranny service done agin (had it once already at 50K).

Thanks for the read and I hope to contribute going forward.

---Shawn
  • Options
    If you don't have an owner's manual, click on this link, then click on owner's manuals. You don't have to sign up or pay anything. Click on the information for your car, and the owner's manual has all the answers you are looking for. The timing belt could be 90k or 105k miles, not sure. The owner's manual will definitely have it in the maintenance section. Happy Hondaing :D
    https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    I know this has been stated before in the forum, but I can't remember is the drive belt the same as the timing chain. I peeked at the link elroy5 posted, because I'm too lazy to get up and look at my hard copy. I know I'm a [non-permissible content removed], is drive belt just another phrase for timing chain? It was in the same section.

I have an 03 Accord LX I4 Coupe. I know I'm the king of off-the-wall questions. I figure it might help others out.
  • Options
    ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    I would ask you to go to a mechanic & get the wheel & hub inspected. There's no way one can assess damage without inspecting the parts.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    not the same. The drive belt is what in the old days was called the fan belt (now it is a serpentine belt). It is on the front of the engine (outside) and drives the altenator, PS pump, AC compressor, etc.

The timing belt (or chain) is inside the front cover of the engine, and basically is what connects the crankshat to the valves. "Timing" refers to the timing of when the valves open in relation to the piston travel. That is also where the term setting the timing comes from.

You have to take the serpentine belit off to get to the timing belt, and for sure i would put a new one on then, unless it was recently done.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    you could always rent a flatbed some ramps and a dolly and tow them to mississippi. ;)
  • Options
    I guess my question is do I4s from 2003 have a timing belt or a chain. Again, I know it's been posted, but I got all confused. Right now I'm sitting at just under 47,000 miles so I know I'm good for a while, but when the time comes I don't want to be in for a big shock.

Thanks to all who respond. Thanks, also, for bearing with me as I get a little mixed up from time to time.
  • Options
    I know staring them head on is painful, but being behind them might cancel some of that out. I'm also wanting something that will last a while before replacing since I would imagine replacing them too often would be a pain. Turning the front wheels to get at the headlight bay.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    >term setting the timing

I'm sure this is what you meant but the phrase "setting the timing" refers to the spark timing for the plugs relative to the position of the crankshaft.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Well, not sure how a timing light adjusted the spark plugs, but I am not a mechanic!

• Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Good topic!

I myself have a 4 cylinder 2004 Honda Accord EX that I got in April 2004. I'm at a little over 100k miles now (yea, I drive a lot). When should i be looking to change the timing and/or drive belt of my car? Any suggestions on where to go for this? I'm sure this would cost an arm and a leg at the dealer
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for the responses tallman1, ar39, and (again) elroy5.

Seems from the responses, I shouldn't count on the warranty working out, but it won't hurt to ask. This Friday or Saturday, I plan to hit Wal-mart for a tire rotation on my 2004 Honda Accord EX Sedan so I'll take my wife's busted tire with me and see if they can repair. If that doesn't work... I'm planning on going to Firestone afterwards for alignment so I'll ask one more time at Firestone for the repair, and if that's a no, I'll just buy the new tire there if they have it. Then I'll ask to get it mounted and balanced and put on my wife's car. I hope Firestone still matches online prices as I'm sure their in store price will prob be expensive.

In taking ar39's advice, I wont' rotate anything and leave the new tire on the front right.

One last question - while I was doing the tire change, and the car was on the jack, I forgot to put the parking brake on. This caused the car to slip forward twice - once while the flat tire was still on, and once when there was no wheel on at all . In falling both times, I was wondering if there was a chance something could have gotten damaged. If so, what could have been damanged.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering, I hit Wal-mart for my rotations because back in Spring 2006, I got all 4 of my tires mounted at Walmart - even though they were all bought at Firestone - and by getting all 4 mounted, I was able to receive lifetime Rotation & Balance. And I hit Firestone for my alignment because I have Lifetime Alignment from them.

Thanks for all the help guys.
  • Options
    As I've only had experience replacing a timing belt on a 95 Accord EX I4 I only know the price of that at my dealer, $715 labor, tax, parts included. I'm not sure what the 7th generations have. It's been stated, but I can't remember now. Hopefully somebody out there doesn't mind repeating themselves on this issue.
  • Options
    I can't remember if hte '04 (and my '05!) has a belt or a chain. If it is a belt, the interval should be in the owners manual. For a chain, it quite possibly doesn't have a recommended change point.

The drive belts should be changed when they need it. A mechanic should be able to look for cracks and drying to make the call. That is at least not particularly expensive, since it is easy (even a DIY if you are handly). For sure, if you have to take the front of the enigne apart for a timing belt, put a new drive belt on (free labor!)

A dealer or a good indie shop can replace a timing belt. Not a particularly difficult job (if you know what you are doing and have the right tools), it is just labor intensive. So you end up with a $20 part and a $720 bill!

Oh, while it is open, throw on a new water pump (again, free labor), and see what other items are cheap and easy (such as a tensioner, or little plastic sprockets). basically replace any cheap wear out parts while the engine is open.

• Options
    I guess my question is do I4s from 2003 have a timing belt or a chain.

IIRC, The I4 Accords got timing chains in 2006 (or was it all of generation 7??), previous years (and the V6) have belts.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731

You have a timing belt on that model, not a chain. It used to be 90k miles but the 02 may be different. I'll bet Elroy knows.

For 2002 models it is 105k miles. My grandmother has a 2002 LX 4-cyl. I'm no elroy, but I'll chime in anyway! ;)
  • Options
    All U.S. 2.4L Accords (2003-present) use a timing chain. This includes 2003 models.

The 2006 models got drive-by-wire electronic throttle in 2006, maybe that's what you were thinking of?
  • Options
    I myself have a 4 cylinder 2004 Honda Accord EX that I got in April 2004. I'm at a little over 100k miles now (yea, I drive a lot). When should i be looking to change the timing and/or drive belt of my car? Any suggestions on where to go for this? I'm sure this would cost an arm and a leg at the dealer

To reiterate, you have no timing belt to be replaced, so you won't be looking at the giant repair bill you think you will. Other belts may need replacing at some point (not sure when) but your car has a timing chain, which doesn't require replacement.

I only repeat this to make sure everyone knows the 2.4L 4-cyl in the 2003-present Accords doesn't have a timing belt to be replaced, so don't go pay for it; I'm sure a mechanic would love to take advantage of you! ;)

Best regards,

The Grad
  • Options
    The 2006 models got drive-by-wire electronic throttle in 2006, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Yes, that's it. After I posted that, I didn't think there would have been such a big change in the engine within a generation. I do remember being thrilled when I bought my 06 and was told that it had a chain instead of a belt. I've replaced two or three of them on my 95, and as you know, it ain't cheap. :sick:
  • Options
    I've replaced two or three of them on my 95, and as you know, it ain't cheap.

I sure do know. I got a quote for timing belt and water pump on my '96 LX - $475. I'm at 179k miles. Eeek. :sick:

I'm debating on selling this car before long. I'll be moving to Mississippi for graduate school (no nickname pun intended ;)) next year, and heading off with two Hondas won't be too efficient!
  • Options
    Why, ya don't think the 2.4L is up for the towing job? haha ;)

((I can smell the burning transmission fluid now...))
  • Options
    Not to mention the rapidly disintegrating brakes and the coughing coming from under the hood, with your 06 going "Why are you trying to kill me, I've been good haven't I? I promise I'll do better, I'll get you into the 100mpg club if you only stop this torture."

Then you'd hear the gurgling and you'd get the Christmas tree of death, all lights lit up and that would be the end for dear old Mr. Honda just as the radiator blows up. ;)
  • Options
    What a graphic display of my Accord's death. Brought a tear to my eye! :cry:

:P

Maybe I'll sell the '96 after all. :)
  • Options
    Thought I'd share. I know I would be sad if my car were to die that way. I want to make it into the ultra-high miler club with mine. Only time will tell. Good luck selling it. We'll all have to send flowers for your loss. Tee hee hee.
  • Options
    It truly will be a sad day to sell it. I got that car when I turned 15. It had a lowly ~125k miles on it.

Anyway, back to the 03-07 portion of this forum. :)
  • Options
    But we digressed. Anywho. Are the cool-blue halogens any good?

Open to all responses. I've been having trouble seeing at night and wonder if they may help.
  • Options
    I don't care for them personally. I'd try SilverStars before I tried anything else.
  • Options
    yanx1978yanx1978 Member Posts: 1
    I got the code to replace the O2 sensor after the cat. After replacing the sensor, the code and light are still showing up. I need the code to go away so that it will pass emission testing. Does anybody have any suggestions, other than park it with the keys in the ignition?
  • Options
    See if AutoZone can't do that for you. I know they check/read codes for free; maybe they'll clear them as well?
  • Options
    Just to make this clear. A timing belt, and a drive belt are not the same thing. If you look under the hood, you can actually see the drive belt. You can not see the timing belt. Many people think the drive belt is the timing belt, and wonder why it costs so much to replace it. :confuse: If you have an 03 or newer Accord with a 4 cylinder engine, you don't have a timing belt, and the chain will probably never have to be changed. If you have a V6 Accord, you have a timing belt, and on 03 (and newer) models it should be changed at 105k miles (except under extreeeeeam conditions).
  • Options
    Just a word of warning for those who haven't replaced the low-beams on an 03 Accord. Since you have to remove the fender clips and go in through the wheel well make sure you are extra careful when peeling back the fender cover as they are crack very easily. I know this because I just replaced the headlights on my car and cracked the fender cover.

One way to avoid this, and it doesn't say it in the manual, is a small opening in the fender skirt where they need to bold the bumper on, you can put a screwdriver in there and then you can start to pry there. It should be good there.

Hopefully anybody who does it is fairly small because it's sort of a tight squeeze. I just hope that the crack fender cover, being behind the bumper won't create problems for me later. I suppose I might have to go and get a different one off of a junked out car.
  • Options
    amvamv Member Posts: 6
    No, it is still working fine, it was in his car all night and we used his car this mornign for me to come to work, so the battery is in perfect working condition.
  • Options
    according2u06according2u06 Member Posts: 95
    I sure do know. I got a quote for timing belt and water pump on my '96 LX - $475. I'm at 179k miles. Eeek.

Is this your first replacement? I thought you are supposed to replace those things at 100k miles?
  • Options
    My son's car battery went dead, so I took my battery out of my car put it in his car and it started and worked fine, but when putting it back into my car, my car is completely dead, it will not start at all, not even the lights come on. We have checked all the fuses and they are fine. Please advise????? Thank you.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Sounds like you drained the battery while it was in your son's car, which may mean his alternator is bad, so his car was actually running off your battery rather than his alternator.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    A battery is usually tailor-made to a car's electrical system based on output, size, etc. That's why when buying a battery at an Auto-Parts store they need your make and model. I'm thinking that putting a different battery in the different kind of car could have messed things up?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A car can run fine off a full battery for a few days, even if the alternator is bad, especially if there's no night time use.

I would check your son's alternator. I think with a battery charge your car will start----not a JUMP but a charge.

The only other thing I can think of is that when re-installed in your car, the connections on the battery where not tight enough.
  • Options
    Perhaps when the battery was re-installed on your car the connections were backwards. I know sometimes I get a little mixed up.
  • Options
    Thank you for your response: That is what I thought as well. When the truck tow driver arrived he made sure to check all the connections, even gave the battery a charge as well as a jump, and nothing....just plain old dead!!!!
  • Options
    Just curious, if you already answered this I'm sorry, but do and your son both have accords? Could the starter on your car be shot? Don't know how it may have happened if at all, but I've noticed that problems tend to come in groups. It wouldn't be interesting if you only had to deal with one problem at a time. :)
  • Options
    Aint that the truth! No, he has a 2006 Eclipse. My battery has been working fine in his car since yesterday, so I don't understand why my car will not work with the same battery. I just think something blew. Well it's under warrenty so we will have to just take it to the dealer. Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    Good luck. Hopefully it's something stupid so they won't have to tear the car apart to find it.
  • Options
    I thought you are supposed to replace those things at 100k miles?

Back in 95 & 96 (like thegrad's and my old Accords) timing belts were supposed to be changed every 90k. He's getting close to changing his second. I remember really pushing my second one quite a few miles past 180k. Risky. :blush:
  • Options
    biglou13biglou13 Member Posts: 17
    You have been blessed to go that long and not replaced it. The price it is replace both but I would use only Honda parts.Ask the guy that replacing how it cost if it breaks.
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Including the battery fuse?
  • Options
    Ah I see. I thought it was thegraduate's first replacement and was wondering how he managed to make them last that long. :D

So for the 95-96, the water pump is supposed to be replaced at 90k miles, is this also true with the newer 7th Gen Accord? Or can we expect it to last a bit longer(what I heard is 100k miles but I'm not sure)? :confuse:
  • Options
    Mine was replaced at 88k. It's time again. The 1998-2002 4-cyl Accord's replacement interval is up to 105k from the 90k of the 1994-1997 generation.
  • Options
    never mind, I'll answer my own question.... I just realized that the 7th Gen Accord have timing chain instead of the belt. So, no need to replace the timing 'belt' :)

Anyone know what the typical water pump replacement interval for this gen is though?