Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

Comments

• themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    I got the Hyundai iPod cable and it seems to be working great. I have two questions though:

1) Is there any way to Pause?
    2) How do you get it to default to Random instead of having to select it everytime you turn on the car, use steering wheel controls to change a song, etc.?

Thanks,
    Merg
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I have a 2009 Sonata with the standard 1 CD radio. I have purchased the Hyundai cable and it appears to work well other than the IPOD does not always turn off when you turn the car off. It appears that the IPOD goes into the pause mode and goes off in 5 minutes normally but sometime it does not. Is there a trick to make it turn off in 5 minutes every time?

I am considering using a "Flash-Drive" instead but I do not know how much functionality I lose by doing this. Would I have to place each artist in its own folder so I could just play that artist only? The instructions have warnings about leaving the "Flash-Drive" plugged in when starting the car but I am willing to take a chance versus ruining the IPOD battery by repeatably running the battery down. I have had other IPOD adapters that turn the IPOD off every time so I know it can be done but maybe Hyundai is not that smart. My experience is that the IPOD will turn itself off if left paused when used in the standard place it in your pocket with headphones use. Maybe you have to be under 30 to understand IPOD/ITUNES instructions.
    I talked to the software developer for the Nav system about the iPod integration. He stated that the iPod should turn off once the car is off. I appear to be having the same issue as you in that the iPod only goes to pause mode and then the battery runs dead. He stated he would look into it and get back to me. It's only been a couple of days though. I have a 30GB Classic, which he said should work correctly and turn itself off.

As for the flash drive, just make sure that all the files on there are MP3's. When the music is played, it will display the song, artist, and album information. As for creating "Playlists", try setting them up on the flash drive like they would be on your computer (artist subdirectory and then subdirectory for each album). If that doesn't work then you just might need to have every song in the root directory.

- Merg
    Thank You for the information.
    I watched my IPOD go to the pause mode and then turn off after 5 minutes 5 times one night and it appeared to be OK. I wounder if you have to be using the IPOD when you turn the car off for the shut down to work. Maybe if you are listening to the radio the IPOD will not go to pause so it just runs the battery down.

I have tried moving about 20 songs to flash drive. I had to convert them to MP3 format using ITUNES but that leaves two copies in my Library one in the ITUNES format and one in the MP3 format. I then copied the MP3 copies to the Flash Drive.

I could see how to make a MP3 CD but not how to go directly to a Flash Drive which would be a lot easier.
    I've only been using the iPod and the Map on mine, but I think a lot of times I have it last on the map when I turn off the car. I'll try switching to the iPod before turning off the car to see if that works.

As for the MP3 CD, you should be able to specify what drive the "CD" is in that you are creating. Just specify the drive that is actually the flash drive.

- Merg
    Itunes does not give me the opportunity to change the drive it defaults to the CD/DVD writer. I will see if it will make a MP3 DVD then I can just copy the DVD to the Flash Drive. But I would still have to make the folders for each artist it would seem.
  • meyerwebmeyerweb Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone tell me what the Hyundai ipod cable cost?
    $30 from a Hyundai Dealer. I've heard on-line you can get it from $25-$50, but then of course you need to pay shipping.

- Merg
    I forgot that iTunes does that. Correct though. Burn a CD or DVD and then just copy the music to the flash drive. Unfortunately, with how iTunes creates the CD, you would need to create the folders yourself.

- Merg
  • meyerwebmeyerweb Member Posts: 15
    Thanks Merg. At that price I'll let my son pay for it if he wants it bad enough.
  • dave868dave868 Member Posts: 64
    I just bought a 2009 Limited V6 with nav. I am picking it up tomorrow.

I have two questions:

Since it have a standard USB jack that will even take a flash drive, why does the ipode need a special cable?

I have a Microsoft Zune as well as an iPod. Does anyone know if that will work as well?

Thanks
    I just bought a 2009 Sonata Limited V6 with Nav. I asked the dealer about bluetooth, I had thought it was a dealer installed option. He told me that it is factory installed and not available until spring.

I found this very odd.

Does anyone know anything about this?
    It's technically a port installed option, but yes, the dealer can't do it. You need to find one with it already installed. The next year's model is supposedly going to have a Navigation system with an integrated bluetooth function.

- Merg
    Thanks. So it's not possible to self install?
    You'd have to go with an aftermarket setup. I don't believe you can get the one that replaces the sunglass holder that Hyundai uses.

- Merg
    I am picking up my sonata today. Can you tell me why the Special Hyundai cable it required?

Since it's just a USB port, why wont the standard ipod cable work?
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    I bought mine without Bluetooth. Dealer install it and it will be covered by 5 years warranty. I waited for a week for the part to com in. I paid around $450 (part + installation + tax).
    Wow! That's an expensive Bluetooh. You got the same one that Hyundai offers? The invoice price for that one is $292. I gotta say, that's some markup when having it installed aftermarket.

- Merg
    Okay, I love the iPod hookup, but how come they didn't make the center console big enough to easily store an iPod Classic while hooked up? They could have easily made it about a 1/2 wider or deeper or they could have even included an adjustable holder that could hold any MP3 player. Now my iPod has to sit at an odd angle in the console which creates a lot of dead space.

- Merg
    Yes, it's the same one that Hyundai offers ($292 invoice price). It's matching interior color. Diller did not have 4 cyl LTD with Navigation & Bluetooth. I probably overpaid a bit but it's covered under warranty and works grate. Now my wife wants the same unit in her car.
    Are you able to use the Voice Command button on the steering wheel to access the Bluetooth or do you need to hit the button on the device itself? My only issue with the current setup is that it is not integrated with the Nav system so you need to make sure the volume is turned down whenever you make the call, it won't show you incoming call info and you can't use the Nav screen to dial out numbers or see your address book.

- Merg
    You have to hit the button on the device itself. Voice Command button on the steering wheel has no connection to Bluetooth unit. The call quality is very good and clear. The unit can recognize multiple phones and support 3 way calling.
    At least your dealer would do it... Mine said if it's not installed when he gets it, you cant have it.
    I just got my Limited 3 days ago. I have been playing with the NAV and been very impressed.

I have two questions. (i guess I could read the manual.. but thats no fun)

1. When I use the voice command no matter what I say after pressing the button, all it says back is, "you can say help at any time" Does the voice command need to be tuned to you voice? Or maybe my mic doesn't work.

2. I have put some mp3's on a memory stick and it work great, but it's not reading the id tags. It only displays the file name. I get the files on a PC and all the id info is stored proper on the file. Is anyone else having this issue?
    Regarding #1, there is a training feature for the Nav system voice commands. Give that a try, it has worked a bit for me. It is located somewhere on the Setup menu. I think I need to redo it though when I have the car in a quiet place as I think it is affected by ambient noise.

- Merg
    Thanks. I'll try it... I have voice command in my honda and it worked right out of the box. The sonata doesn't even acknowledge my spreaking with an error.
  • kmwjmu99kmwjmu99 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as you do for #2. I'm taking in 2009 Sonata tonight to get the nav replaced (the XM signal "thingy" is bad), and I hope this resolves the issue. I've also noticed only recognizes about 15% of the songs on my iPod.

I'll let you know what I find out.
    I just made duplicates of all of my songs in the MP3 format which end up in the ITUNES library. Moved them do a new directory. Then copied them to the 4 gig USB Flash Drive. It takes the Hyundai about 15 seconds to read the flash drive the first time you access the USB drive after restarting the car. The Hyundai does not need to re-read the drive again unless you turn the car off.
  • gcroftgcroft Member Posts: 15
    I have the 09 Limited w/ Infinity 6 disc changer, factory amp etc etc. I think the sound is somewhat flat and not all that powerful. After going to several audio stores and hearing 6 different opinions how to upgrade, I opted to replace the speakers and add an amp. This was at a reputable store and a tech with 15 yrs experience. Halfway in the job I get the call that they way the radio and amp are wired now, I would have to replace the HU as well. He got this from the factory tech after a 30 minute discussion. So they put the car back together.

Has anybody just replaced the speakers? How did that sound?
    Has anyone added an amp and do you know how that was done?
    Thanks
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Because it must have some kind of chip that translates the iPod dock to a standard that the USB port can read it. I highly recommend it and it's only 30 USD. It fully integrates it with the headunit.
    If you use an IPOD you should turn it off when you are done with it. The car will not always turn it off. This will shorten the life of the battery. I went with the flash drive now it it works but you loose a lot of the IPOD features
    I did buy the cable. I was just wondering since the ipod usb is just that... usb...

Works great. I am going to try the standard ipod usb cable just for SAG's.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Actually it does work but you have no real integration. It thinks it's some kind of flash drive. Some cars actually can use the transfer cable but require a 5th generation and up iPod with the latest firmware.
  • billchang2billchang2 Member Posts: 11
    I saw some replies to another question but would like to know how you wrote the mp3 files to the stick to make tham visible.

Please tell me what folder you put the music in on the device for the player to find them. Is it OK to put them in a Music Folder?

Is it OK to nest them further? two levels? three?

I have an 09 Sonata Limited with Infinity Sound system.

Thanks.
    I believe you can nest them. Music/Christmas/Bing. I think that if you are in the "Bing" directory then "Random" will only play the "Bing" directory but if you hold the "Random" turn for 6 second it will play all songs.
    How I got them onto the 'Stick" was I just copied them over from MP3 directory on my computer.
    I converted my whole ITUNE library to MP3 which made duplicates for almost all songs(Some are protected from conversion). I then sorted by "TYPE" which grouped them together. Cut and pasted them into a directory on my C: drive and called it "MY MP3 Songs. I then made sub-directories from the "MY MP3"files. Example: Christmas, Easy listening, Country, Rock. I then may only place the Christmas on the "Stick" for December then copy the Rock back in January. I could place them all on the stick at once in sub-directories but I used a 4 gig stick so they would not all fit at once. It takes the car about 15 seconds the first time you read the "Stick" each time you start the car. The "Stick" has not been damage yet ( >30 days) by not removing it when starting and stopping the car. The reason I did all this instead of just using the IPOD was the IPOD would not always go off when the car was turned off.
  • boogerd6boogerd6 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 07 limited sonata. as you know it has the infinity sound system but i decided to put a bigger sub in the trunk. recently i was trying to install tweeters in the back of the car but accidently mixed the tweeter wire with the sub wire. so basically i put 1000w into the stock sub which overpowered it and made it smell burned so i turned the car off immediately, when i turned it on again, the radio turned on but there was no sound coming from the speakers. :sick:

i had a friend who works at circuit city check it out and he said it was weird cuz the head unit worked fine, then he checked all the speakers and none of them were blown. later he found out that the internal amp wasn't turning on but when he hot wired it to turn on it still wasn't powering the speakers although the amp became hot pretty quickly.

im taking it in next week to the dealer for them to run diagnostic but the guy there said the warranty might be voided because the wiring harness had been spiced from when i had a harmon/kardon ipod unit installed.

does anybody know what i can do to fix it if the warranty is voided or where i could find another stock amp?

does anyone know what happened to it?
    I do not know why you are worried about the splice for the Harmon/Kardon. You should worry about that you blow-up the internal amplifier. Is you theory that you can make the car look like you never touched it other that the Harmon.Kardon IPOD unit being installed. You could take it to a "Real" stereo shop and have them trouble shoot it for you.

If you are not going to be honest and hide all of the evidence I would argue that they show you how the Harmon/Kardon unit could have damaged the amplifier.

I may not have understood your story.
  • vaterpvaterp Member Posts: 29
    Hi all,

I went and test drove the sonata and the accord yesterday, I have some questions about the ipod hookup. I wanted to play with the interface and plugged in my ipod with a salesman cable. I could peruse my playlists and when i plugged it in i got the first track to play --- whenever i tried to select a different track i just kept getting 'connection error' and then it wouldn't do anything. If i unplugged it and tried again - same thing - it would just tstart playing the first track.

Any idea what that means? Was that sonata broken or is my ipod broken?

On a similiar note, what do you all think about the nav integration. I like the big screen vs the 2 line smaller one, but I am dissapointed that you lose all actual buttons to control the stereo. Seems to me like its more dangerous as without tactile feedback you have to take your eyes off the road in order to 'see' the button to push and are more likely to be distracted while driving... any thoughts on this point too?

Thanks all,
    brian
    What style IPOD do you have? My 4Gig Nano works fine other than the car will not always turn it off when the car is shut down. You were using the official Hyundai cable?
    I have a Sansa 4 GB player; system recognizes it fine with the generic Sansa USB cable. Also tried a Sandisk 4GB stick which returns an error because of the U3 software that won'r let the radio access my music (but also password protects the files I have on the stick).

Didn't opt for the Nav on my Limited as the technology is changing so rapidly .
  • vaterpvaterp Member Posts: 29
    I did use the official hyundai cable.

I dont know what gen ipod i have, its probably a couple years old in the system screen i see the following:

Capacity: 37.1 GB
    Version : 3.1.1
    Model: M9268LL

Does that help?

Also, I did directly plug in a USB stick with a couple songs on it and it loaded and played fine.

thanks -brian
  • lawson810lawson810 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 sonata has an XM radio in it. I don't like it, and would like to know how to hook my sirius up to it. Does anyone know the procedure on how to remove the radio from the dash?
    Thanks,
    Don
    Is there something in particular you are looking for from Sirius?

Sirius bought XM a few months back and soon will be all one... offering all the same channels.

In the mean time you can get the best of Sirius on XM for $4 more.
    Why don't you just use the "Aux" input with your current radio?
    Thanks so they can be in any folder and the player will find all the mp3's, but if you put them in one directory your random will stay in that directory unless you hold the random down for over 6 seconds, right?

One thing I have noticed using my Sansa is the need to go back and get the data right on some of the songs I brought over from audio streams via software.
    Thanks so they can be in any folder and the player will find all the mp3's, but if you put them in one directory your random will stay in that directory unless you hold the random down for over 6 seconds, right? Yes you should try it to be sure.
  • woodlander95woodlander95 Member Posts: 1
    Sirius and XM have merged their offerings. You now get the same stations on both.
    That is not exactly true. While they have "merged", Sirius really took over XM. What's more the programming is merging, but far from identical. You can add the best of the others for an additional $4/month. Given time it will all bnecome one, but for now they are still very much two services.
  • mdebelmdebel Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been successful hooking up an ipod touch ? I am going to buy the Hyundai cable but no one can tell me it works with the ipod touch. I heard it only works with older ipods. Looking for anyone that has done this. Thanks.
    If the dealer does not know then they will possibly let you try it in the lot to find out. I have an older model (2 years) and it works will except for the IPOD not shutting off when the car is shut down. I have gone to a USB memory stick since I did not want to have to remember to shut it off each time the car was shut down.