Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

johnm1johnm1 Member Posts: 6
edited August 2018 in Hyundai

Comments

• ersatz07ersatz07 Member Posts: 7
    Mine doesn't either. I don't think it's supposed to. The only way to get it to move is by turning the right knob. This will manually move the text to the left or the right...which is pretty much useless.
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    Yes and no. Like the both of you, the display doesn't cycle through the entire "message" on its own.

While not an expert in this field, I don't think that scrolling is an automatic feature. If I'm not mistaken, scrolling doesn't take place in my girlfriend's 2005 Ford Focus either. :confuse:

I would hope and expect that the 2007 Sonata will be equipped with more "substantial" radio controls. Having only Volume and Mode controls just doesn't cut the mustard. :(
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Is there any solution either from Hyundai or aftermarket for installing an auxillary input jack in the 2006-2007 Sonatas?
    When factory XM on 2007 Sonatas becomes available, will you be able to unplug the factory XM module and replace it with a line-in for a portable MP3 player?
  • thecargodthecargod Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

i have a 2006 GLS V6 which has been running fine. I'm looking into perhaps getting an aftermarket radion since i'd like to hook up my Ipod and the Hyundai stereo doesn't have this option. The thing that concerns me is the contoured faceplate. Has anyone gotten an aftermarket radio installed? Has the sonata faceplate been an issue. thanks
  • johnwintxjohnwintx Member Posts: 7
    Head Unit: Virtual Reality Sound Labs Model # VRCD400-SDU from WalMart @ $79.87+tax ... AM/FM-Stereo, CD/MP3 Player, SD Card Slot, USB Port & Audio Input, MP3 & WMA Compatible with ID3 Tag Display, includes wireless remote control and audio cable.

Installation Kit, Faceplace/Mount, Single/Double DIN (includes pocket for single DIN installation), Metra 99-7320 from bicostereo.com @ $31.13 (total)

Removal of original equipment head unit involves first removing the metal/wood trim above the center a/c vents. Start at the steering wheel with a flat-blade screwdriver into the top edge and pry outward *carefully*. There are two screws in the glovebox which will need to be removed to fully remove the trim piece. There are four screws exposed at the bottom of the radio, emergency flasher switch, and passenger air bag light. *Carefully pry out the emergency flasher switch and passenger air bag light; there are two each plastic clips which hold these two switches in the dash and they can come out easily with the switches or remain in the holes. If they remain in the holes, *carefully* grasp these with needlenose; if you don't do it, 'just right' you risk losing these inside the dash.Once the two switches are removed, there are four more screws holding the radio into the dash. Remove these and remove the head unit from the dash. Pull the head unit out far enough to detach the antenna cable and 24-pin plug. You'll either need to solder or crimp the proper wires to connect the aftermarket unit to the vehicle harness. I have no pinout information as I've not completed the install yet (awaiting faceplace/mount and wiring harness).

Wiring Harness: Scosche HY05B from buy.com, plugs into vehicle harness @ $12.62 (total).
    You are probably better off getting a wired FM modulator that connects to the antenna port behind the radio. Not fully CD quality, but is good enough for playing MP3s through the stock head unit and speakers.
    Looks better and is safer from theft than any aftermaket replacement head unit.
    That's exactly how aftermarket CD changers were connected to the factory stereos in cars in the 90's, so it's good enough for a portable mp3 player.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    When the 2007 models start using the new steering wheel controls that allow for CD track selection and radio preset changes, does anyone have an opinion on how hard it will be to switch out the 2006 control with the updated 2007 one? And maybe how much the part will cost? I know it's probably early to ask but maybe someone has heard some reliable information??? Thanks.
  • dump_truckdump_truck Member Posts: 42
    looking into buying the above model, but i want to make it ipod 'compatable'. is there any option besides replacing the head unit? are there any inputs either on the head unit or cd changer?

it blows my mind that somebody back at hyundai didn't think it would make sense to offer a simple aux in jack on the front of the stereo like just about every other car manufacturer in the uniteds states does. or atleast ad another option on for a link like the accord. i mean how many units of mp3 players have to be sold in this country and worldwide before they catch on?!?! sorry just ranting.
    If you wait a few months for the new stereos with factory XM, it will probably be possible to unplug the XM unit from wherever it plugs into to head unit and replace it with at least an AUX input of not a full iPod connector.
    Since the new Elantra will have aux inputs, it might be possible that the Sonata will also get aux inputs when the new stereos get here or at least by the 2008 models.
  • somanycarssomanycars Member Posts: 12
    Does anybody else think that the placement of rear speakers for the Sonata (2007) is a little odd? Instead of being behind the back seats, they are in the rear doors. As a result, the front seat passengers don't get a good range of sound from those speakers. Compare this to the Camry and Accord. When I'm commuting to work, I like my current 98 Camry setup with speakers behind the back seat. This doesn't 'surround' you with sound so I thought based on a test drive. Even the woofer with the premium stereo wasn't enough to compensate.

Opinions? comments? from current owners. I going to buy a new Camry, Accord, or Sonata but it's down to details like these.
    just to update everyone, i decided to go ahead and change out the head unit to a pioneer deh-p6800mp. the surprise was that the installer did not have to by-pass the factory amp and sub. he then ran pioneers aux input adapter behind the dash, drilled a hole, and ran in through the small compartment below the heat/ac controls. i'm thinking now the ash tray might have been slightly better, but i'm happy in any event.
  • glemayglemay Member Posts: 1
    Hi John,
    How did you make out on this project? Do you have pinout info that you can share? Thanks!
  • artbernsartberns Member Posts: 1
    Looking for information to wire existing Sonata radio to include an Aux-In jack for MP3 player (not ipod). When speaking with service tech at local auto stereo store, suggestion was for a wired FM modulator to an "aux in" jack. Problem described was that such an installation would greatly reduce AM reception, which I am not too crazy about....Any thoughts on this?
    at last check, they don't make an aux-in adapter for the sonata yet. you're best bet is to replace the head unit. if you care about the sound quality anyway.
  • islander37islander37 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of the sound system in the 2006 Sonata GLS V6. I can't seem to get that information and its really bugging me. Is it a system by Hyundai directly or some other company?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Clarion
  • islander37islander37 Member Posts: 3
    are you sure? I am disappointed if its a Clarion. It is not anything special.
    please understand that regardless of who made it, it was most likely made by the OEM division of whatever company that is. It may have the clarion (or Infinity for the '07) name stamped on it, but rest assured it is not the same stuff they send out to best buy and the like.
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    If you have the Infinity version, it's NOT a Clarion. It's made by Visteon in Mexico. Just take it out and you'll see it clearly on the head unit. The Infinity version isn't bad at all...sounds good for what it is. Was thinking about changing it out but didn't want to lose the sub and the steering wheel controls.
    How did he not bypass the external AMP and sub? I looked into this same head unit (great choice my friend) but was concerned about how to wire it up and not lose the sub and steering wheel controls.
    i wish i could tell you, when i came to pick it up he had already left for the day. i just got lucky that one of the guys that works there has a tibby w/ the infinity stuff and they had figured out on his first. i can tell you i did lose the steering wheel controls because we did not add that adapter on. but i never use them anyway, and the HU has a remote if i get that lazy.

if you do get it, i recommend getting it from crutchfield, it was atleast $50 less than best buy was off the bat, and you get the metra dash kit and wiring harness free. all in all it cost me about $130 for the install, but that was including the extra charges for adding pioneers aux-in adapter ($25), and a little custom work/drilling for the corresponding cable ($40 i think?). Which I later decided I didn't like and had them change where it was routed anyway. Lifetime guarantee on the installation, and they put the stock HU back in when I want to sell/trade-in for no extra charge.
    Thanks for the info. I pulled off the wiring diagram from Hyundai's website and may attempt this on my own.
  • tkumpftkumpf Member Posts: 27
    I have 2007 Sonata with the Infinity Sound package. When I create an MP3 CD, I create it in playlist order using MusicMatch. Examining the CD I can see the playlist and sort files, but the player only plays the songs in alphabetical order.

Has anyone got the player to play in playlist order?
  • somanycarssomanycars Member Posts: 12
    Nope. :( Other than the two Random modes that appears to be all your options. It would have been nice to have an 'order by track#' option. It would also have been nice if the unit would display track info more quickly when one is advancing through directories etc.
    I solved my problem. Using iTunes you can create an MP3 CD that will play in playlist order. It's not that iTunes creates a "more correct" playlist on the CD; it's because they cleverly precede the track name with the numerical value of its place in the playlist. So, for a playlist of:

"What For"
    "Any Time"
    "Cheers"

Normally would play in alphabetical order (Any Time, Cheers, What For)

iTunes creates the CD with these titles:

"1 What For"
    "2 Any Time"
    "3 Cheers"

Which of course, is in both alphabetical AND playlist order :-)
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone noticed lag times of up to 1 minute when attempting to play mp3 files? I've been experiencing such times on the 2006 Sonata LX.

Any responses would be helpful.
    I have the 6-CD changer and have not experienced any delay in playing MP3s
  • mkv1mkv1 Member Posts: 14
    I am a bit tardy in this reply but someone may read this and find it helpfull. I just installed a FM Modulator in my 06 LX. It actually works great and I spent a total of 40 bucks. The AM problem is no problem if you get a unit that has a power switch. I can turn my modulator off if I want to listen to AM, and then back on for AUX use. I find that the sound quality is great for not having to spend tons of money or ugly up my dash with an aftermarket unit. The solution I am waiting for is to buy an 07 OEM unit that has the XM connection. until then, my modulator is working great.

Good luck!
  • jimbob76jimbob76 Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to buy a 2007 Limited and I can't decide whether or not to get the ultimate package with the stereo upgrade. I don't care much about the sunroof so I'd be paying about $1500 for a nicer stereo that doesn't have XM, doesn't have an aux input for iPod/etc., and isn't HD-ready. My girlfriend thinks the stereo is really important so I'll have to get the ultimate package or do an aftermarket upgrade as I assume the base system is subpar.

How good is the factory Infinity upgrade? Can I do a lot better on my own for cheaper and without making the dash look like crap? I know nothing about cars or stereos so I'm sure I'd get this professionally installed. I looked at Crutchfield and there are so many choices! I don't even know where to start... What would be comparable to the factory upgrade that could be cleanly installed? What would it cost to have it installed? Will I have to do without a subwoofer? I don't remember seeing one without the factory upgrade? Will I still be able to use the steering wheel audio controls?

Thanks for any help from a soon to be first time Hyundai owner!
    I had the opposite desire: I wanted the sunroof and did not care much about the 6-CD changer. I told this to the salesman and that became the basis for price negotiation. I ended up getting the package for around $900.

The sound system *is* pretty nice. The subwoofer adds a lot of character to the sound. I don't know if the standard stereo comes with an equalizer, but this has one.

Considering the controls built into the steering wheel, and the fact that you would need to have to pay a pro to do the installation, it may be well worth your while to "test listen" to the packaged model first. :)
    I have an 07 Limited (same sound system as the Ultimate) and the Infinity does make a big difference. I think it sounds great for a factory unit.

Things to consider:

1. What do you want the stereo to do?
    2. Are you ok without having the steering wheel controls because if you change out to an aftermarket unit, you'll lose those controls unless you purchase another aftermarket box that will allow them to function with your new stereo?
    3. Do you want XM, Sirius or HD radio? If so, aftermarket may be the right alternative for you to keep the dash clean looking.
    4. Do you need an iPod/MP3 jack?
    5. You WILL lose your factory sub!
    6. You WILL need to rewire your speakers as your factory speakers are routed through a JBL amp in the rear of the car that the new aftermarket unit cannot utilize!

I have been installing car stereo's for almost 25 years and have dealt with Crutchfield on a personal level many times. They are great to deal with but will cost more than others on the Internet.

It's all about what you want or need and how you answer the questions above may help you make the best desision.

I hope this helps :shades:
    Thanks for the advice! I ended up going with the platinum package with the XM upgrade. I figure it's an easier path and it makes it easier to turn-in if I decide to do so since I did balloon financing. I like the stereo so far and I'm delighted to have the XM built-in. It's so much better than the Nexus radio I have in my other car with the crappier car kit antenna and integration through an FM signal.

The steering wheel controls were important. The stereo isn't all that convenient to reach where it's mounted, especially for my girlfriend.

I was interested in HD-Radio until I realized that a lot of radios were HD-ready but that it wasn't a standard feature like FM and AM.

I would like an AUX input but I've seen other posts that make me think that adding one wouldn't be too difficult.

~Mike
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the 10-character display is annoying. It looks like there's a few more characters available to the right. I haven't seen what they are reserved for yet.
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Jimbob76, you are correct about the 10-character display limit being annoying. I just came out of a Toyota Avalon that had a high-end audio system with factory XM and Nav system. The Nav screen had enough width to display 40 characters or more, but only displayed 10! And it didn't scroll either...

XM certainly has the capability to display more characters, so the car radio builders are at fault here. I also have XM on a Yamaha stereo receiver at home. It displays the full width of the artist and song title, you can make it scroll, you can freeze it, you can make it display the genre info like "Decades" or "Comedy" etc etc etc. That sort of proves to me that the XM signal carries all of the info; the vehicle mfrs. simply cheaped out and only default to the first ten characters. :cry:
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    On the HD radio availability: big cities have quite a few stations that transmit HD programs for both AM and FM. It is just car makers who do not want to spend the money to make this option available. On XM or Serius radios, car makers actually got financial subsidy from these two companies to include the hardware similar to DirectTV.

jt
  • rgyiprgyip Member Posts: 43
    Has anyone with a 2006 Sonata tried to add the extra steering wheel radio controls (track +/-)that comes on the new Sonatas to their car? Can it be done? I am guessing it probably can but probably the radio/cd player would need to be replaced as well. I did a search on the web but found nothing. Does anyone know if this can be done?
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    Here's a thread on audio controls in a Sonata forum;

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t14984-steering-wheel-controls.htm
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    A guy with an 06 Azera changed out his control with an 07. Plug and play. 10 minute job. A few guys have ordered the part in the "hyundai-Forums" and are going to do an install and let us know. My feelings are it will be a plug and play as it was on the Azera. I almost ordered one but I thought I would wait for the other guys to try it. More info at 11:00.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    Keep us informed!! Would be great if it was that simple!
    Check out this link. It was done by a gentleman in another forum. Gives detailed instruction and photos. This is how I think the change to the Sonata will be. I will keep you guys informed.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t15490-2007-steering-wheel-control-retrofit-for-20- 06.htm
    That's absolutely AWESOME!!! But the big questions are......
    1- That was an Azera....is just as simple in the Sonata???
    After reading further down the that forum, there's a link provided.... I think I might buy the Sonata NF version... (what does the NF stand for???)
    I ordered it, $43 shipped from Korea! Hopefully it works like a charm and as simple as plug and play, remove and replace! Will update when I get it.
    PLEASE keep us advised on this issue! I too am ready to make the jump; I really miss the ability to surf through radio stations and CD tracks from the steering-wheel. Especially with XM, where there are so many blooming stations... Mike
    For $43 shipped, I think it's a worth while gamble. I emailed the site and they're not sure if I'll also need the wiring harness which sells for $20 shipped. I replied and told them to just send me the remote for now and if it doesn't work, I'll order the wiring harness at a later time. They shipped the item already (Friday, Korea time: 13+ hours ahead of us). If it works, I'll be sure to post the results, if not hopefully the worse would be that I'm out $43 and no other damage done to steering wheel / airbag / radio head unit / warranty.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Doesn't the XM equipped model have controls for changing stations? Thought it did.
    Doesn't the XM equipped model have controls for changing stations? Thought it did. I wouldn't know!! I have a 2006 Sonata and NONE came with XM or radio controls on the steering wheel that allow you to change tracks/stations. The only controls that we have are: mode, vol up, vol down, and mute on the side. Since you're asking, I assume you have the additional 2 buttons for track/station up and down?? According to the picture I've seen at this website http://newtiburon.cafe24.com/m_mall_detail.php?ps_goid=214&ps_goid=214 , the track up and down is my vol up and down. and the little buttons on the side are replaced by one mute button on 2005 models. FYI, this US models.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I was meaning to reply to post #44, which I inferred the poster said he had XM.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

My Sonata is an '05, so it doesn't have any radio controls on the steering wheel. My partner just got an '07 Sonata 3 weeks ago and some of the radio controls are on the side of the steering wheel facing the instrument panel.
    Sorry for the confusion. Here is my explanation: while I have an '07, it is an early build and did not come with the XM built-in. My son-in-law works for the radio head supplier (Visteon) and is helping to obtain a replacement head unit, which has the factory-installed XM option. THEN I am hoping to obtain the aftermarket steering wheel controls. Ironic that all this effort is needed but XM is important to me, having been a fan for several years. When I bought my Sonata in late December 2006 I didn't realize the XM models were so close to being available. I still like my car, will like it even better with XM and the new controls. I will keep folks posted on my progress. :)
    O! I C! My bad! Sorry.
    OK the verdict is in on the other forum. Here is a link to read the posts. Scroll down to read about the control installation and how it works. Pekelopd let me know how your works out.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t14984-st-40-steering-wheel-controls.htm