Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    since you also have an IS250, I figure you should get similar mileage from your tires as well.

That's not true.

The IS250 AWD comes with the 17" all weather tires and although that's also the standard tire for the RWD IS250/350 but I think 99.9% of those come with the 18" summer tires. The summer tires is MUCH MUCH softer than the all weather so one would be considered very lucky to get 30k miles out of those even with conservative driving style. Most need to be replaced at around 20k to 25k miles.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I stand corrected, I was assuming the mileage for the IS250 will be better than the one you got for your IS350, the 22k you posted above. (I know you drive an IS350 since I commented on you post on this thread, I am not a stalker :) )

My previous conclusion would still not change though, you indicated you paid $1100 to change your tires. 2 changes over 3 years will cost you $2200. I would not pay $1900 now to save $300 over 3 years. There are many ways to beat that kind of a return.
    2 changes over 3 years will cost you $2200. I would not pay $1900 now to save $300 over 3 years.

Agree.

Like I said, IMO the program is only good if he keeps the car for more than 5 years/100k miles. Otherwise I wouldn't drop $1,900 now as well.
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    The service dept looked at the car when I had it in for the 1K check up. It appears that if you just connect the ipod to the system without a charger, there is no problem. If you hook up a charger at the same, you get buzzing through the speakers with either an ipod or CD playing. Anyone else know a fix for this?
    Here's the link to the TSIB:

Auxiliary Audio Input Port Noise TSIB L-AU001-07

Print it out, go to the dealer and tell them fix it according to this. If they give execuse then either try another dealer or call Lexus corporate.

You paid for a Lexus so don't take any BS from them.
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    Thanks much for sharing this- I will definitely review this with the dealer!
  • ddaluiseddaluise Member Posts: 2
    Greetings, fellow Lexus owners. I've been leasing my Lexus since October 07. I've added about 4400 miles on it since then. Suddenly, I see a warning light appearing briefly when I first turn on the car. It says, "Maint Read". (I assume it means, "Maintenance Read"). What does this mean? Is the computer inside the car's system just telling me that at a certain mileage point, it's a good idea to have the car looked over (meaning, I can ignore this) or does this mean there's a problem? Please advise. Thanks!
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    it says maintenance req'd

every 4500 miles or so it pops on indicating that maintenance is required, which is the normal service interval.

if you bring it to lexus (first 5k check is free) they will reset it.

in the manual there is also a way to reset it (hold odo button while turning car on or something like that)
  • ddaluiseddaluise Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much! This is great advice! I did notice that my car seems fine and I thought, "What a waste of time and money this will be to put my car in the shop for a day when Maint. Req. might not mean anything significant." I will consult my owners handbook this evening. Thank you so much!!!
    Dawn
  • ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    Last weekend, I drove on a pot hole very hard & the left front wheel is bent. Also, the hub & wheel bearing have to be replaced, wheels aligned & balanced. The cost for this is ~$1400.

I would like to know whether claiming insurance is worth it. Would the increase in premium rates for the future outweigh the costs? My deductible is $500 & $900 would be paid by my insurer. I would like to know what your opinions are.

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think if you haven't had many other claims that a $1,500 claim just squeezes into the "worth it" category vis a vis claim vs. possible increase in rates. In other words, it's possible that, over time, a claim could cost you $1500 in rate increases (probably in small amounts, like being nibbled to death by ducks). I think it depends very much on a) your previous records and b) the insurance company you have. Personally I'd make a claim but then I rarely do make claims.
    I've only one claim in the past when I got the bumper replaced. Someone backed his car into mine in a parking lot. The premium didn't go up. Other than that, I haven't had any incidents until this happened. Both previous & current claims are considered as my fault according to the insurer.

I'm leaning towards going ahead with the claim.
    Ok folks, here is the real deal from my insurer. There would be a 90% surcharge on my base premium. This is because I had an earlier claim & a failure to obey traffic signal citation. There was no surcharge on my first claim.

The surcharge will increase my premium by 90%. This surcharge will reduce over a period of 3 years & at the end of 3 years, I'll be paying the base premium; provided I do not have any claims made in this 3 year time frame.

I've decided I would not claim insurance! Thanks for your opinion & hope the above info helps others.

Drive safe!
  • carmonkeycarmonkey Member Posts: 32
    I was faced with a similar decision with my IS350- windshield was nearly $1400 and my deductible was $500. I decided to make the claim, and upon renewal, my rates were not affected. Your claims history, your insurance company, and your locale will be the major factors that determine your future rates.
    Glass repairs do not attract surcharge & hence your premium didnt shoot up. My situation is different.

Anyway, I spoke with a rep in the Governor's office. She says they get complaints similar to mine & wanted me to mail the details & estimate. I'm doing that later today. I'm not sure of the outcome but, no harm in trying.

Since the damage to my car happened on an interstate, I have to approach the state. Municipal/town council will act only if it were a state highway or a local road in their jurisdiction.
    All claims (including glass, uninsured motorist, etc.) are worked into insurance companies' pricing formulas. A glass claim under a comprehensive policy can negatively affect a premium. Fortunately, my premium did not increase because of that one, isolated claim, but that does not mean that insurance companies do not consider glass claims for pricing purposes.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well okay. If I had this level of detail before, I think I would have advised against making a claim as well. Prior history is very important in these decisions.
    I guess that's the insurer's discreation. I had 2 previous claims for my front windshield (different vehicles) but, my premiums didn't increase. 'At Fault' factor is the key for surcharge according to the representative I spoke with. The windshield claims were not considered 'At Fault'. Moreover, the representative didn't mention about the 2 glass related claims. She considered my previous 'At fault' claim & the ticket the reasons for surcharge if I had made a new claim.

Anyway, I got the car fixed out of my pocket & will pick it up on Saturday. Hope it's perfect...I'm very particular about that!
  • krbtvkrbtv Member Posts: 3
    What color is your car? It may be that all cars a particular color have squeaking sounds.
  • applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    I'm looking to find where I can buy a CNG conversion kit, but have not had any luck searching the net. Most info I'm finding is really old.
  • jezmiajezmia Member Posts: 36
    hi, I wanted to get an estimated maintenance cost for a lexus IS250, I am considering leasing this car on a 24 month lease 15k miles. I got a pretty good deal, but I am concern with the maintenance costs. Can you please let me know all the maintenance cost I should expect to pay over the 2 year lease. The only thing I've been told is that I should change the oil every 5k and that should be $50. What about the brakes, and tires? how often should I expect to change it and aprox cost. I've read some posts that say that I should change the brakes every 15k and cost $600 and tires every 25m and up to $1000 for all 4. This seems too high, is this true? My other option in cars is the bmw 3years/12miles that has all the maintenance covered, except tires.

any suggestions please advice.
    Well, it all depends on how aggressive you drive, I changed my front brake pads and rotors on my IS350 at around 22.5k miles (no cost to me due to the brake TSIB) and I am expecting to change my rear set during the 30k-mile service. If you don't drive aggressively like going to the track or making sharp turns in regular basis the tires should last you about 25k miles. $1000 for a set is normal for max performance summer tires, if you don't care about the performance, a set of all season tires should run you about $700 and give you longer tread life.

$50 for oil change every 5k miles sounds about right.

If you drive hard and worry about maintenance cost then BMW is the better way to go. As matter of fact I think if you are going with the leasing route BMW is the better deal hands down.
  • jezmiajezmia Member Posts: 36
    Hi, thanks for replying and giving me a general idea of what are the costs I should expect to pay in the life of the lease. Now, do you think you could give me your opinion on these two offers I have received? I am leaning towards the lexus just for the cost, and better mileage than the BMW (Lexus 21 city and BMW 17 city) but not sure if I am missing something else.
    BMW MSRP $35,920 328i sedan, metallic paint, power front seats. 36 month/12k. $475 including 7% taxes $1,200 out of pocket at signing ($400 deposit, inceptions, first month payment) then I will have to pay $350 at the end of the lease for disposal fees. All maintenance included, but tires
    Lexus IS250 Sedan, MSRP $33,250 it comes standard power seats and metallic paint, extra 18". 24 month lease/399 + 7% taxes. $600 out of pocket for fees, tags, dealer fees. Also there is no disposal fee at the end of the lease. None of the maintenance is included.

any opinions would help... thanks!
    I don't see there is a big difference in the payments for these two, $75 per month isn't really a decision maker/breaker for a luxury car shopper IMO. The question you need to ask yourself is which one you prefer if money isn't an issue, or which one you prefer via your heart, not your brain, or wallet. Let's face it, it'll be pretty hard to live with a buyer's remorse for the next two years.

By the way, if you are not getting the sports package with the 328i I think it's pretty pointless since most people are after the performance aspect while choosing BMW over other makes.
    Go for the BMW! No maintenance costs for your 24 months lease.
    Go for the BMW! No maintenance costs for your 24 months lease.

Uh yeah, but he'll be paying $1,700 more for 24 months. That's enough dough to cover bunch of oil changes and one brake pads and rotors replacement.

Like I've said, the difference is basically a watch.
    I stand corrected. I wasn't aware of the extra $$, thought the deals were approximately the same.
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    Both with my RV and IS they came with wheel locks which replaced one of the lug nuts. Since I believe this is a Port of Entry or Dealer installed option seems to me I should get the extra wheel nuts since it was on the car when it left the factory in Japan. My friend who just bought a Honda Accord with wheel locks got the wheel nuts they took off to install the wheel locks, they were in the truck with the special tool. When I mentioned this to me dealer he gave me a look like I was from Mars. I hate the wheel locks because if you can't find the special tool when you have a flat you are up a creek. Has anyone gotten wheel nuts from the dealer at no cost?
  • ps99472ps99472 Member Posts: 28
    I'm approaching 10K miles in my 2007 IS250 and the red "oil maint" light is getting annoying.. Called up the nearest dealer to me (Tustin, CA) and was quoted $70 for my car. Though that was really expensive.. Called up Westminster and was then quoted $79.. Called up Newport Lexus (which I believe owns Tustin dealer also) and was quoted $89! Anyone recommend a decent garage shop for Lexus oil changes? Any problems with warranty if I don't go to a dealer? At least they give you a loaner car and a free car wash.. I need to get my moneys worth at this price..
  • isdriver2isdriver2 Member Posts: 7
    Are any of you IS300 (2002) owners having trouble with a tacky, sticky dash? My dash is very tacky and sticky. Apparently the material seems to be deteriorating. I took it back to the dealer who said, "Sorry, but it's off warranty and nothing can be done...cover it up, ha, ha, ha." I didn't think it was very funny. He said they had checked the records and there didn't seem to be a single IS300 owner with 'my problem', both in Japan and nationally. Please answer my post if you are having this problem.
  • meg2007is250meg2007is250 Member Posts: 2
    mine is sqeeking now too.. it sounds so ugly coming from such a beautiful car.. you just replaced front brakes.. how much does that run?
    how much does that run?

About the same as the old ones, just not as grabby. I prefer grabbier brakes but looks like the stopping power is about the same so oh well...

Also, there is much less dust on the front wheels now so that's a huge improvement.
    I am having the same problem with my dash. I took it to the dealer who told me I must have used Armor All since its chemicals react with the dash and turn it to putty! The sun seems to make the dash sticky and tacky, too! They would not change it for me since it was 'off warranty'!
    Just installed cross drilled rotors made by DiscItalia. Here's a link to photos - http://www.lexustech.org/Brake2.htm
  • kc567567kc567567 Member Posts: 29
    The drilled rotors look great .... did my IS300 with Brembo's a few years back but haven't done the IS350 .... will wait until the present rotors are toast first.

Recently the windshield of my IS350 spontaneously cracked. I parked my car early in the morning. When I returned to the IS, the windshield was cracked. I examined the crack closely. There were no signs of any impact on or around the glass. I am certain nothing hit the windshield. And the crack did not start at the edge- it began about an inch from the top edge and ran down toward the middle (at an angle) about 18 inches.

The dealer immediately replaced the windshield without hesitation for free. The service manager confirmed the crack was not related to an impact and wrote it up as a "stress fracture." The windshield (with install) lists for $1,300.

Has this happened to anyone else?
  • godallasgogodallasgo Member Posts: 2
    I'm responding to your problem with your sticky dash. I own red 2002 lexus is 300. I keep my car in good condition. I just recently noticed my dash is really looking bad. EXACTLY like yours. my dash and trim going downt towards the stick shift is like peeling off. It feels like sticky and scratches easy. I spoke to a lexus auto body manager in Houston texas. He told me there is a person that can fix this problem. It's called TOUCH OF CLASS. I either want to fix this problem or just try to find a complete dash board for my lexus is 300. my nephew said he saw one on ebay. I know it will be expensive but i'm searching the salvage yards on line. if you know any information about this problem let me know some feedback.
    I'm in the process of working with the Lexus dealership. I told them it's a defect. They have since upgraded the dash in the newer IS300s. The sun is not good for the old dash, which causes this stickiness. They want to work something out for me since my car is off warranty, but it isn't my fault the dash is deteriorating! Talk to your dealership and see what they can do. When I complained about this problem, they said I was the only one with this problem. I wish all IS300/2002 owners would take their cars back and ask to have this problem solved or have the dash replaced. It's going to cost me, but they're willing to give me a 'good deal'. Toyota really messed up on this!
  • godallasgogodallasgo Member Posts: 2
    regarding our dashboard problems. are you able to tell me how much this will cost you. which lexus dealer are you disputing with. it would reallly help me out.
    if your able to leave a phone # so i can discuss this with you
    thank you
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No posted phone numbers, please - that will cause the post to be removed. You can make your email address public in your profile (Forum Profile link on right under Forum Tools) so that the other poster can email you.

Thanks.
    I've been haggling with the dealership since February. The head of the dealership was supposed to get back to me a week ago, but I'm still waiting. Will let you know how much this is going to cost me. I'm bummed out that my dash is ruined. What happened to 'Lexus quality'!?
  • borachoboracho Member Posts: 1
    Hello -

I have leased a 2007 Lexus IS 250 and have a question about servicing/oil changes, etc.

I'm coming up on 10,000 miles and I will be due for a maintenance/oil change soon. From what I hear, it costs about $300 to get the Lexus serviced at the dealership.

I'd rather not spend that much but since I don't own the car, I'm wondering if it's mandatory that I get the car serviced at the dealership? I'd like to save a few bucks and take it to the Toyota dealership or a local Jiffy Lube if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    $300 sounds about right for the 15k-mile tune-up. The 10k-mile service is just the routine oil change with visual inspections, shouldn't cost you more than $100.

That being said, usually this is what I told people about servicing luxury brand cars outside the dealership: If you are going to own/lease/drive a luxury car like then don't be cheap on the maintenance. I am sure there are plenty of private mechanics out there who are more than qualified to service these cars but if anything goes wrong, you will find yourself in a very unfavorable position while trying to get warranty works done at the dealership. If anything goes wrong while getting services done in the dealership then it's their asses, not yours.

Those are especially true since yours is a lease.
    I too lease a 250 & have stopped going to the dealership for maintenance. I've found a local mechanic who can do the the job as well or even better than the dealership. I've come across mechanics who dont know what they are talking about. Atleast, I can survey what's being done on my car with my local mechanic which, is not possible at the dealership.

I believe it boils down to quality & then the right price for a quality job.

A
  • dennisgdennisg Member Posts: 12
    I recently took my wife's 2006 IS 350 to my local mechanic who changed the oil and filter. But he wasn't able to shut off the oil maintenance warning or the icon that accompanies it. I'm talking about the warning that's on the dash, not the one on the nav system. Any help would be very much appreciated.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Display the odometer reading on the display and switch off the engine. Press and hold the odometer reset button on the IP while switching the car back on. COntinue holding the button for 5 seconds till the odometer display flashes and resets. Switch off and you are done.
    Take your car back to the dealership since the IS300s have a defective dash! See what they can do for you. There are others out there with this problem and they should try to work with Lexus in getting this problem resolved!
  • steady92steady92 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 IS300 with about 118,000 miles. I was just informed by the dealership that my catalytic converter was bad. There are 3 converters on the IS. The price to repair was $2,300! Am I getting the hook or what? Can anyone help me out here?
  • ajk27ajk27 Member Posts: 5
    Hi i have a leased 2006 Lexus IS 250 and it has about 24K miles on it, recently i took it to the local mechanic for a oil and air filter replacement and he mentioned that he heard some squeeky noise from the brakes and i have been noticing it too(since that day)...should i change my brake pads at the lexus dealership or should i get it done at some reliable local mechanic? what would be the average cost? i am just speculating since i have also come to the completion on my lease and don't intend to spend anymore money on the maintenance!!
  • ajk27ajk27 Member Posts: 5
    yeap exactly same thing happens in my 2006 IS 250 RWD