Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The 2002-2006 Camrys also seem to have interior squeaks and rattles as well. The apparent solution.....wait for the redesign. The current Sienna: same thing here apparently, judging by posts in forums like these.

Well, my '04 and '05 Camrys don't squeak/rattle nor do they have transmission issues. In fact, both cars have been an absolute delight!
  • mesquite57mesquite57 Member Posts: 59
    jwa120,

On returning my vehicle: Yes I will use the Arizona Lemon Laws if necessary. I'm hoping that Toyota (the Dealer or Toyota USA) will offer some acceptable resolution so that I don't have to pursue the legal route.

I really want to keep the car but wish Toyota would acknowledge the issue and correct it with a software re-programming. I don't want them tearing out my transmission and putting in another one. To me, that is no longer a "new" car. Plus, if they haven't duplicated the problem at the factory/design centers, it seems highly probable to me that I will have this problem with the next tranny.

This 3rd to 4th problem - if common to all V6's with VSC - is probably going unnoticed by drivers who are not as discriminating about their driving experience as those of us who are noticing it. Of course, it is also possible that our cars are unique in some way which would say something about variability in Toyota's manufacturing process (which would be a bad thing).
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    tmsusa:
    It would be interesting to know the advantages Toyota sees in having adaptive transmissions. There seem to be a lot of disadvantages:

1. Performance variations between identical vehicles.
    2. Inability for dealers to diagnose, explain or resolve these variations.
    3. Requires more dealer training and greater dealer knowledge to properly support the vehicle.
    4. Inconsistent and unpredictable shifts if every transmission shift point has to be recalculated based upon multiple input sources with continuously variable factors.
    5. Requires higher performance tolerances of input devices to achieve consistent performance.
    6. Requires very complex logic control algorithms and programming which like any software can have bugs.
    7. Requires faster CPUs to process the data.
    8. Introduces multiple points of failure.
    9. More expensive to diagnose and fix.
    10. More expensive to design and manufacture.
    11. Has introduced a level of customer dissatisfaction.

Besides having more gears which obviously has a mechanical advantage, what is the advantage of the "intelligence" you describe that is now built into the ECT-i 5-speed and 6-speed transmissions over the earlier 4-speed units, which performed flawlessly without all the "intelligence"?

I now have a brand-new Nissan and Honda, both with 5-speed transmissions without the intelligence, and they do exactly what they are expected to do.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    It would be interesting to know the advantages Toyota sees in having adaptive transmissions

Alan, I am not tmsusa, but i have a response, and I am also eager to hear from tmsusa...

I think the advantages far outweigh the "alleged" disadvantages you listed.

1.much better fuel economy, do to computer/tramsmission/engine able to be in the most efficient operating state..rpm, accel demand...etc.
    Imagine a midsize car with 268 HP that gets over 30mpg on the highway! Doubt that is possible without these electroinic controls.

2. Much better lower emmissions due to same as 1.

Perhaps you don't remember in the late 1970s, early 1980s when the lock-up torque converters were first finding their way into cars. They applied (on and off) often very abruptly, and created quite a stumble, hesitation, lurch sensation. Also in the name of fuel economy, emmissions. Unfortuantely, Mr Gore (lol) hadn't invented the internet yet, or at least it wsn't widely available to the masses...or there would have been much written about those cars.

And in the mid 70s, when egr valves and catalytic converters first fond their way into our lives...lean surge, hesitation...poor fuel mileage...lower and lower HP figures were the norm. Very poor "drivability"

I believe that today's Toyotas are the pinnacle of automotive engineering for the common folks. Technology that is available today in mid-stream cars such as the Camry is simply amazing.

Am totaly in awe of what the automotive industry has done...quiet, safe, comfortable, reliable, economical, low emmissions, fun to drive, toys(NAV, bluetooth, multi-CD players, radios that will tell you the name of the artist and song that are playing...on and on)....and Toyota leads the pack.

BTW, the dealers in the 70s and 80s had no clue how to make the cars more drivable.

NO I DO NOT WORK IN ANY WAY FOR TOYOTA
  • dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    jbollt,

I am all for new technology if it is done properly and seemlessly integrated. However I am not willing to spend 25,000 dollars on a new car with unproven/immatured technologies. All I want is a car that response to my input not the other way around. This has affect our buying pattern, we were alway buy toyota but have bought a Honda Pilot instead of a Highlander and it has been a joy to drive none of the hesitation whatsoever. I think Honda technologies is as advance as Toyota. It is about how they go and implement them.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I agree that the cars of the mid-70's and 80's had driveability issues. All in the name of fuel economy and emissions, and the dealers couldn't fix them and the manufacturers denied and defended them.

Perhaps we have come full circle.

If I want to buy technology, there are many brain-challenging, fascinating and entertaining devices out there, developed by very smart people. I use them in my profession every day. I also know how complex they can get, how difficult they are to diagnose and how they can fail!
    When it comes to technology in cars, less is more and KISS is best (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I think we are entering a phase of techno-overkill. If it means I have to start buying lower-end cars to get less technology and a higher level of overall satisfaction, then count me in - or give me a $5 button so I can turn it all off!
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Everyday, I have to merge from left to right lane on the highway.
    Everyday, there is traffic jam on merging location, from speed of 65 mph has to reduce to 20 mph. Then I try to accelerate to right lane, the car hesitates every time.
    The rpm jumps to 3500rpm but seems the car not moving for 1-2 seconds! It’s quite scary situation, none of "excitement,peace-of-mind, and fun".

I did not notice any hesitation for first 500-1000 miles.
    I noticed more response if car is loaded (4 people inside).
    The transmission reacted differently depend on outside temperature and gas octane.
    Also, disconnecting battery would help bring the transmission to drivable state.

So if you are looking to buy new car with adaptive transmission,
    Here is something you might want to check before buying. It may save the pain later on.

1- Try to drive only yourself (minimum load), gas tank near empty, correct tire pressure.

2- Try the car with more than 1000 miles

3- Try to maintain 65 miles for 10 minutes then apply brake to reduce to 20 mph , try to accelerate.

4- Try stop and go traffic type (a lot of stop signs)

5- Check RPM, any spiking during gear changes

6- Check if any delay between gas pedal and RPM

7- Check if car has been filled with 87 octane

If you decide to buy the car with hesitation, make sure you buy “life insurance”.

Good luck!
    bought a Honda Pilot instead of a Highlander and it has been a joy to drive none of the hesitation whatsoever.

Glad you are happy with your Pilot..very nice vehicle indeed!

I have an 03 Highlander (35,000miles) and an 05 Highlander (20,000 miles)....both are joys to drive with no hesitation whatsoever. And I followed the toyota hesitation thread very closely, and tested many V6 5spd automatics before buying my 05 a little over a year ago...no regrets at all, well...perhaps not waiting for the Hybrid, but I doubt I would have been willing to pay the approx $8k extra.

Ok..sorry...will return to subject of the thread....I am seriously considering an 07 Camry to replace my wife's 03 Highlander, and will continue to follow developments here, but will also make my decision based on my own test drives (plural)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion is specifically about 2007 Camry issues... let's not go all over the map here.

The search features on the left side of the page should help you find discussions that fit your situation, but if you need help finding one, just shoot me an email.
    Cam2003...what year make and model do you drive? Is your "name" representative?
    Yes, 2003 Camry V6 5AT!
  • dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    I am following this thread for want to replace my current 2005 camry. However this is dishearten to count 8 complaints about the transmission out 23 reviews just for 2007 Camry LE on Edmund consumer reviews.
    Don't forget this is called "woes" as in "woe is me," so don't expect satisfied customers to post here, in the main.

I still think the 4-cylinder is a safe bet, what with the (nearly) carryover transmission.

Then of course, there's still a manual transmission available (in theory), so in that case, botched shifts can only be blamed on the driver!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Well said!!!!!!!!!!
  • santhon2santhon2 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 LE 4cyl/5at and noticed this when i first bought the car. Now at 2,800 miles it seems to be getting alot better and has almost gone away completely.

If i find myself having to brake quickly from 70 to 20 i usually manually downshift the transmission to 4th and then 3rd and leave it there until traffic starts to move, then shift back up to drive.

With the placement of the shifter it doesn't bother me a bit to help out a little and may have helped the tranny to learn a little quicker.

I also don't mind the drag when i let off of the gas, i prefer the tranny to take part in slowing the car instead of having it barrel on down the road, obviously if i let off the gas i want it to slow down.
    "If i find myself having to brake quickly from 70 to 20 i usually manually downshift the transmission to 4th and then 3rd and leave it there until traffic starts to move, then shift back up to drive. "

Yes, it will work to remove some of hesistation because now ECU only needs to choose 1-2-3 instead over 5 gears.

I did that for myself few times, but tranny became very lazy, un-responsed later on. I was end up to disconnect the battery.
  • aburdaburd Member Posts: 23
    Pardon me, but if acceptable powertrain performance requires 'teaching' your transmission and yourself how to drive an automatic is typical of the '07 Camry ownership experience, there is likely something wrong in either the design or manufacturing that vehicle. If I was running Toyota, hopefully I'd see a lot of red flags being raised here and be working on a fix.

From the owner's experiences reported in this thread, it's not a stretch to conclude that (in the absence of sample defects):

1- Some drivers never experience the hesitation problem
    2- Some drivers have it, compensate for it, and dont' see it as often
    3- Some drivers experience it too frequently

It seems likely that the main issue is related to individual driving style vs. the 'prototypical' driver and performance profile that this type of adaptive transmission and by-wire throttle was designed to accomodate/anticipate. The present design seems to accomodate drivers in category 1 nicely; those in the next two categories are outside the envelope. To fix this, there needs to be a better accomodation of real-world driving profiles, in my opinion. Maybe it's over optimized for smooth shifting on the test track?

I seriously doubt the transmission is expected to 'learn' how to provide satisfactory throttle performance from day one. It may make some optimizations for shift smoothness or to compensate for wear, but objectionable hesitation should not result from the demands of everyday driving regardless of any adaptation being performed--assuming the design has been properly implemented.

Complex, electronically controlled powertrains aren't unique to Toyota. I apologize if I've overlooked any, but I haven't read about a lot of driveability complaints being reported in other makes-- but there are a lot of posts here and on other Edmunds forums from unhappy Camry, Avalon, and Lexus owners regarding hesitation and shift performance.

You can read more than you probably want to know about adaptive transmissions in a patent filed by Chrysler Corp. back in 1988 here (scroll down the linked page for the descriptive text):

Electronically-controlled, adaptive automatic transmission system

It's dense but readable if you're technically inclined.
  • camryfan1camryfan1 Member Posts: 17
    After reading more complaints, I believe the 4cyl 5A transmission/driveability problems may not be solved simply by remapping/reflashing the ECU.

While poor power and hesitation are often caused by less than ideal fuel/air mixtures (ECU controlled), confused shifting under various conditions can often be caused by the manufacturer's AI or fuzzy logic (TCM controlled). Unfortunately, the problems you and others have described seem like some combination of the two.
    Sorry, I entered AI for Artificial Intelligence but it looks like the abbreviation for aluminum.
  • rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    Here is my response to your comments.

Of course I have a choice in what to buy, and I purchased my 07 Camry LE 4-cyl 5-speed AT based on my wonderful experiences with my 03 Camry LE 4-cyl 4-speed AT. Very few people have the opportunity to test drive a new vehicle for more than 8-10 miles, and they cannot hope to experience every aspect of the vehicle in such a short time. Only after owning and driving the new vehicle for a few weeks and putting on at least 1000 miles will the new owner start to notice the subtleties of its construction and operation. I don't buy my automobiles for "excitement or fun"; I have other vehicles for that. I do, however, expect "peace-of-mind" and a reasonable amount of proper systems operation in my automobiles. The pain I speak of occurs when my reasonable expectations are not met and I have to deal with numerous layers of factory bureaucracy from the dealer on up - most of whom talk a good talk, but really do not understand the technology.

An example - snap rings do not "snap back into position" - they are either installed correctly, not installed correctly, or they break. Also, with Toyota's past good reputation and the fact that 80-90% of new vehicle buyers do not investigate internet forums or news groups, and then only a small percentage do after they have noticed a problem, one would not imagine new vehicles stacking up at this early point. It may take a few more months for the news to spread if these drivability problems are not resolved.

The cruise control logic in my 03 Camry was, as far as I was concerned, flawless. In my 07, the "new" logic is absolutely incompetent. The slightest upgrade causes the transmission to go out of lockup, then downshift, then accelerate hard overshooting the speed setting, then coast while up-shifting and then undershoot the speed setting. Occasionally, the process repeats and repeats until cancelled by me. This operation may not be unsafe, but it is frustrating and, if I have passengers, they are surprised at the apparent improper operation.

I don't need a sales pitch , what I and others on this forum would like to know is what you or an engineer can tell us regarding the status of re-mapping the ECU/TCU systems for the 07 Camry, both 4 & 6-cyl.
    In all this talk about 07 Camry hesitation, one thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the emission class of the engines. It might be valuable to not only state the number of cylinders and transmission, but also if the engine is an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) or Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV). You can identify the 4-cyl models as follows: the PZEV has an unshielded exhaust manifold with a top-mounted oxygen sensor while the ULEV has a shielded exhaust manifold with a side-mounted oxygen sensor. Another clue is the Vehicle Emission Control Information sticker, which for the PZEV is labeled “CAL”. I think the ULEV sticker is labeled “United States and Canada”, but am not sure.

My 07 Camry is an LE 4-cyl 5-speed AT of the PZEV emission class.

I am cross-posting this in two places where the issue has been discussed at some length; the Edmunds “2007 Toyota Camry Woes” forum and the ToyotaNation Camry forum under “Hesitation Problem with 2007 LE I4”.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...I really want to keep the car but wish Toyota would acknowledge the issue and correct it with a software re-programming. I don't want them tearing out my transmission and putting in another one..."

You really need to read the entire dedicated discussion about the 6-sp V6 automatic transaxle's problem. This is not a software flub. As I understand tmsusa's explanation, it's a mechanical flub caused by a mistake in how a "C" clip is installed to properly locate a gear on its shaft. Since the repair requires deep work inside the trannie's innards, Toyota was faced with the dilemma whether to intrust the repair of a complicated mechanism to field personnel, swap trannies with rebuilt units as they became available, or swap trannies with new units. The company chose the latter. Either way, the choices available would've resulted in the car not being "new" any longer. (For that matter, the car was no longer "new" once it was titled and driven off the dealership's lot, anyway. ;)) Toyota's STATED choices to affected owners already includes a buyback or a full vehicle exchange in addition to the trannie exchange. Those who opt for the trannie exchange will get one lease or finance payment paid by Toyota as well as a free entire powertrain warranty extension out to, I believe, 7 yrs./100,000 miles.
    I just tried a quick experiment while returning from a short trip. Some of you may want to do the same to see if your results vary.

*** (Do not do this in heavy traffic or in a lower posted speed zone)

(Vehicle: 07 LE 4-cyl 5AT with PZEV emissions)

Cruising at 65mph on level ground with transmission locked up in 5th gear and cruise control active, I tapped the cruise control 4 times to increase speed by 4mph. After about 2-4 seconds the transmission came out of lock-up for about 2-4 seconds and then downshifted to 4th to achieve the desired speed. There was about a 2-3 mph overshoot and then the speed settled and we were back locked up in 5th. I repeated this procedure four times and the results were the same each time.

I have never owned a vehicle that required a drop out of lock-up, never mind a downshift, to increase speed such a small amount on level ground at a cruise speed above 50mph.

Another nail in the coffin...
    ray_h1
    "...You really need to read the entire dedicated discussion about the 6-sp V6 automatic transaxle's problem..."

Thanks for the reply. I have read the C Clip story in this forum. It applied to a problem with missing 2nd and 6th gears. Not my problem. Mine is rpm spiking 500 to 2,000 rpm between 3rd and 4th gears primarily noticeable when engine is cold. Still no response from Toyota about recognizing this as an issue. The regional service manager is visiting our (Tucson) dealership Tues. 6/13. I am leaving the car with them for that day so that he/she can test drive it. The dealership Asst. Service manager and service techs have stated that they duplicated the problem.

I'll let the forum know what the results are.
    You asked it to pickup 4 mph instantly, of course it is going to downshift.

Even 3 times will probably cause it to downshift.
    Since we're both cross-posting _ _ _ _

Did you read my post completely??

1. I stated that this was an experiment. It should be obvious that it is one of the very best ways to determine something specific regarding the hesitation problem because it will be using the logic built into the car - not each individuals sense of throttle application or pressure. It makes for a level playing field.

2. I stated that "I have never owned a vehicle that required a drop out of lock-up, never mind a downshift, to increase speed such a small amount on level ground at a cruise speed above 50mph." As a matter of fact, after I posted that message I took my wife's 04 Vibe 4-cyl 4AT (Matrix) to the highway and performed the exact same evaluation. Guess what?? - speed smoothly increased 4mph and vehicle did not come out of lock-up or downshift. And a Vibe has a Corolla engine and is quite down on power compared to the Camry. Oh, and I started the Vibe test at two different speeds - 50 and 65mph. I did this because I wanted the engine turning above and below the rpm's of the Camry to see if that could influence the results. Didn't....
    Yes, I read your post completely.

I have the same engine and trans. that you do.

You have a hesitation problem that I don't have.

You have an overshoot on cruise control that I don't have.

At 65 mph in 5th gear, the Camry 4 cyl. engine is turning about 2,100 RPM, putting out only 50 HP, thru a 27% OD gear.

You are asking it to quickly go to 69 mph, which it cannot do because of the low RPM's and high gearing (low numerical). The throttle control motor turns, the sensors determine that the speed is not changing fast enough, therefore it downshifts to 4th gear.

Your Vibe has a 4th gear ratio which is about the same ratio as the Camry's 4th gear which is just a slight overdrive. Of course it does not have to downshift.

It is not the ultimate power of the engine that matters but the power it puts out at the RPM that you are running.

You can do 100 more of your "experiments", post 100 more posts about your hesitation problem but they won't fix that problem. We can't help you with that.

I would disconnect the power for 30 seconds and start the transmission learning process again. The teacher or student didn't do a good job the first time.
    No, you didn't read my post completely or you didn't understand the following sentence: "I have never owned a vehicle that required a drop out of lock-up, never mind a downshift, to increase speed such a small amount on level ground at a cruise speed above 50mph." Be advised that I am not talking about two or three vehicles, I am talking about dozens...

Do you have the same engine that I do? Is it a PZEV or ULEV? That would be helpful info.

At 65mph in 5th gear, the Camry 4-cyl is developing 80% of its full torque capability, and it is torque, not HP, that allows a car to accelerate at lower rpm's in the higher gears.

My 07 Camry unlocks and downshifts because it is NOT accelerating at all before these changes take place. That is the problem...

And on the Vibe I stated: "- I started the Vibe test at two different speeds - 50 and 65mph. I did this because I wanted the engine turning above and below the rpm's of the Camry to see if that could influence the results. Didn't...." At 50mph, the Vibe is turning less rpm's than the Camry at 65mph - yet the Vibe DID NOT unlock or downshift to increase its speed those 4mph, and at that speed it has a lot less hp and torque than the Camry.

I'll let others try this experiment and report their results. We need data points. And your comment about "We can't help you with that." - do you work for Toyota? They are already trying to help me with this problem, and if you read my earlier posts you would notice that a factory engineer was flown in and recorded my vehicles operating parameters while exhibiting these problems. At that time I had 1400 miles on the car and he didn't think a reset of the ECU would change anything, but he did it anyway. It hasn't made any difference.
    I have a PZLV engine.

At 65 mph in 5th gear, the engine is at 90% (not 80%) of full torque. The curve is fairly flat because at 3,000 RPM it is 93-94%.

The Vibe and all your other cars have different torque/horsepower curves and more importantly different gearing.

It is torque on the ground that matters which is why it downshifts to 4th.

No, I don't work for Toyota. I never considered owning a Toyota before.

I'll duplicate your "experiment" manana. I think mine will downshift just like yours does but maybe not.
    I'm not certain your power analysis is correct because I don't have the specs but I know that "the sensors determine that the speed is not changing fast enough" is incorrect. It is Toyota's questionable TCM programming that determines if enough acceleration is taking place and the appropriate action to take. Further, Rollon had a Toyota Engineer use Toyota's Hand Held Diagnostic Tester and confirmed that there was a lean condition occurring in certain situations. The above indicate less than ideal functioning of the ECU/TCM.

Finally, it would not be right to dismiss Rollon's complaints since there are already numerous similar complaints on other websites.
    I have the engine specs, the cruise control inputs and outputs, gear ratios and I'm not dismissing his complaint.
  • cortoncorton Member Posts: 53
    Hi Mesquite57,

There are others here (myself included) with the V6/6spd RPM spike problem between 3rd and 4th gears (and other gears also in my case).

I just picked my car up from the dealer after they replaced the valve body in the transmission. I told the dealer (and my Case Manager at Toyota Corporate) that I didn't want them to just start replacing parts in the transmission until they found the right one. I wanted the problem fixed and only allowed them to perform the valve body replacement if they assured me that it would fix the problem.

Well, the valve body replacement did not fix the problem, and I'm a little PO'd to say the least. I know of another owner in the similar situation, and they replaced the valve body in his transmission and it had no effect on his RPM spike problem either.

I'm going to be calling my Case Manager at Toyota Corporate on Monday and ask them to replace my vehicle.

The problem is real, so don't let them snowball you with any BS that it is "normal" or has something to do with the transmission "learning" your driving habits.

Call the Toyota Customer Service line at 1-800-331-4331 and tell then that you have a transmission problem and ask them to assign you a case number and a Case Manager.
  • tmsusatmsusa Member Posts: 81
    Good catch babadgerfan!

We build over 2,000 Camrys every day.
    tmsusa obviously not the best typer. . .Thank you to badgerfan for my first typo. Camry production per day @ 2,000.
    corton,

Thanks for the tip. It is timely since I'm seeing the regional svc mgr Tues. I will not allow them to replace parts on my car. I'm considering not even allowing them to replace the transmission as I maintain that the original factory assembly of the vehicle is no longer intact once major surgery like that is done. Who knows what else they might adversely affect if they remove and replace an entire transmission.

I'm sorry you are having this problem with them.

Also, I am now starting to see spiking problems not limited to 3rd to 4th but also second gear I think and maybe others.

I may be asking for my money back instead of a new vehicle because I have no faith in this transmission.

BTW my VIN is 4T1BK46K87U008090 which I believe means that I have the 8090th car off the line. Final assembly is Kentucky. I have a V6 XLE with VSC. I'm wondering if this is limited to this specific model. What do you have and what is your VIN? Did your car come from Japan or USA?
    Any other owners of this model please report in relative to erratic shifting. I would like to take a poll as to what percentage of owners this model are experiencing this problem. (Engine rpms spiking between shifts, particularly 3rd to 4th)
    My 07 XLE V6 is Japanese built with VSC and the last 6 digits of the VIN are 003559.
  • wtliao321wtliao321 Member Posts: 35
    I have Japanese build XLE V6 with VSC, build on 01/06. 5000 miles after 3 months driving. No transmission or shifting problem at all. I used to experience a vibration problem at 70 mph due to tire issue. Ever since my dealer changed the tires, my Camry is very smooth, comfortable and powerful. This is a great car.
    I just went out to drive my car to the grocery store. Since it was the first time I drove it today I decided to video tape the situation just for the heck of it.

The RPM's jumped so high when shifting from 3rd to 4th that it startled me and I instinctively lifted my foot off the throttle. When the shift from 3rd to 4th began, the engine RPM was at about 3200 RPM and it spiked up to over 5700 RPM. If I would not have lifted off the throttle it could have easily exceeded the 6500 RPM redline.

I'm glad I decide to video tape it.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...If I would not have lifted off the throttle it could have easily exceeded the 6500 RPM redline..."

Since you intervened at 5,700 rpm, you have no basis on which to draw a conclusion. It's just as valid to speculate that the engine speed would have merely brickwalled at the ECM's 6,500 rpm programmed limit.
    I regret your disappointment in your new 07 Camry rollon1300. And, no, you don't need a sales pitch--You already have the car, and we are not in need of doing a whole lot of promotion of our Camry anyway.

My involvement here is to help ensure what is being communicated about our 07 Camry (most particularly related to the transmission) is accurate, and to monitor the "tone" of discussion to help identify issues for which we should be aware. I'm not an engineer, and the forum is not meant to serve as a technical diagnostic service, nor is it meant to serve as a separate channel to our Customer Experience Center.

With that said, I've found that involvement in some key discussion forums like this at Edmunds and at a couple of other sites does help us validate real world driving experiences for which we are already monitoring via our Technical Information System, field technical specialists and dealers. I don't know much about the "re-mapping" question you raise, but I'm more than happy to check it out with my sources at our HQ and report back here. That's what I did to help clear up some confusion over the adaptive learning nature of some transmissions.

I have been on the east coast all week but will return to TMS on Monday and see what I can find.

Thanks very much for your feedback. It is important to us and it is not lost in corporate bureaucracy.
  • nissanronnissanron Member Posts: 17
    I was thinking about buying a 2007 Camry, but the transmission problems are scaring me off! Some customers appear to be treated right, but others are not.

Are the Avalons having the same problem, or should I choose between Honda and Nissan?
  • aburdaburd Member Posts: 23
    And, no, you don't need a sales pitch--You already have the car, and we are not in need of doing a whole lot of promotion of our Camry anyway.

Well, coming from someone involved in Toyota Motor Corp. sales, that comment tells me a lot about how seriously the concerns being voiced here are being taken by Toyota. Since I bought my first Toyota several years ago, I never felt the dealership thought a whole lot of promotion was necessary either. Rather, having a better mousetrap, so to speak, it was sufficient just to be an order taker. Count me as not thrilled to now get the same vibe from Toyota corporate.

It's a different ballgame now. The '07 Camry better bring something to the table other than being beautiful, and new. Aside from the predictable reviews of advertising-subsidized publications, a surprising amount of buzz from actual owners hasn't been all that positive. And more than one review I've read seems to think that the brand-new Camry hasn't got anything over the now 3-year old Honda Accord, or Hyundai Sonata.
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    Ahhhh, the sweet smell of Camry drivers. Lets recap on what Toyota did with the new 2007 Camry......Nothing! Oh maybe they made it faster. New look...same old performance....BBBOOOORRRIIINNNGGG. Toyota doesn't even have side airbags Standard in all of their vehicles, and they are supposed to be a leader in safety. Look, the safest way to survive a wreck is to avoid one in the first place. This is where the Camry gets lost on me, and I move on to cars that can handle better (BMW, Audi, Subaru, Honda, etc...). Until Toyota adds some performance to there new look, I will leave this one for the retired folks. :P
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I'm still musing about what a retired friend shopping for her new car was told about Camry and Carollas: "If the motor catches on fire it is made to drop out of the car." I hope this isn't a hint about some new problem in the design that there is an increase in engine fires..., but that's what she swears the salesman told her.

I hope it doesn't catch on fire at 60 miles per hour and the motor drops out. Ouch!!!

Does anyone know what the salesman was talking about there?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I've no doubt the salesman didn't know what he was talking about.

Do you think more than 5% of salespeople know anything beyond the basics about the product they are selling?
    I tried your test on my '04 Camry 4-cyl. 4A just to see what would happen. I started at 58 mph on a level straight road and clicked the cruise control 4 notches upward. The car smoothly increased to 62 mph with no downshifting. Rpm at 58 mph was just over 2000.

I'll have to try it later in my '05 4-cyl. 5A.

Neither are PZEV.
    It may not be so simple to get a replacement car at no cost. Replacing the entire transmission isn't that big of a deal, and I'm sure Toyota will be much more willing to do that.
    It's possible that the salesman was referring to the material attached to the underside of the hood. This material is designed to drop in a fire and to help extinguish the fire.
    Corton,

What city, state are you located in? I'm assuming you are west coast since you have a Japanese built Camry. Did you talk to the regional service manager about the valve body part replacement? Are his initials S.W.? I am seeing him tomorrow. I want to know what I'm dealing with.